Gabby's Golden Gal Causin' Havoc for Dr. Smarty Jack - 2-Year Olds Work

• 21 Comments

We have made a decision to follow as many offspring as possible of the following 1st-year stallions (in alphabetical order): Birdstone, Medaglia d’Oro, Pleasantly Perfect, Smarty Jones, and Speightstown.  This does not mean that other first-year sires will be ignored, but for now they will not be monitored as closely.  This could change if one jumps up and has a large number of winners (as with Posse last year). Also, if anyone has strong feelings about another 1st-year stallion, post the name and your reason (and yes, he is my favorite horse of all time is a legitimate reason) and we’ll consider adding him.

We have begun getting notices of 2-year olds working, so I thought I’d update you on their progress.

Medaglia d’Oro is clearly the winner in this area, as he has had 3 offspring work.

Gabby’s Golden Gal (Medaglia d’Oro – Gabriellina Giof (GB) by Ashkalani (IRE)), a bay filly, has worked 3 times, all at Hollywood, all at 2 furlongs.  Each work has been a little faster.  On 2/26/08 she covered the distance in :25.80, on 3/5/08 her time was :24.20, and on 3/11/08 it was :23.40.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see this one show up in one of the first baby races.  Gabby’s Golden Gal’s dam was a stakes winner who earned $220,646.  She began her career in Italy, but was imported to the U.S. where she won the Manhattan Beach and placed in the San Clemente (gr. II) and the Harold C. Ramser Sr. She did all her running on the turf. Gabriellina Giof has had one foal to race, a Hennessy filly born in 2005 named Gabby’s Hen.  Gabby's Hen has earned $2,000 in 5 starts.

The bay filly Fiesta d’Oro (Medaglia d’Oro – Ionian Bride by Icecapade) worked at Goldmark on 3/1/08 recording a time of :37.40 for 3 furlongs.  Fiesta d’Oro’s dam won 5 races and earned $151,576.  Ionian Bride has produced 6 winners including Phil the Grip who won $451,587 and won or placed in 12 stakes including the Kentucky Cup Classic Preview (gr. III) and the Turfway Park Fall Championship (gr. III).

Causin’ Havoc (Medaglia d’Oro – Degenerate Gal by Degenerate Jon), a bay colt, worked 3 furlongs at Keeneland on 3/12/08 recording a time of :37.00.  Degenerate Gal was a grade III stakes winner who earned almost a million dollars ($936,393). She won or placed in 19 stakes. Degenerate Gal has produced 7 winners including stakes winners Blacktie Bird and Positive Gal who won the Gallant Bloom (gr. III).

Smarty Jones and Pleasantly Perfect each had one offspring record an official work.

Dr. Smarty Jack (Smarty Jones – Hoh Buzzard (IRE) by Alhaarth (IRE)), a chestnut colt, worked 4 furlongs in :54.00 at Sunland Park on 3/5/08.  Grade II stakes winner Hoh Buzzard earned $319,839 and included the Mrs. Revere (gr. II) among her victories.  Dr. Smarty Jack is her first foal.

Storm Leopard (Pleasantly Perfect – Thiscatsforcaryl by Storm Cat), a chestnut colt, worked 3 furlongs from the gate at Palm Meadows recording a time of :37.00.  Thiscatsforcaryl failed to win at the track, but she has produced 6 winners including the stakes winner Be Like Mike (earnings $174,202) and Sacred Journey who finished 3rd in this year’s Southwest Stakes.

No workouts yet from Birdstone or Speightstown offspring.  We are especially interested in seeing the Speightowns since they have been doing well at the 2-year old sales.

Gunslinger

Can I just say WOW!!  I love this idea - and of course, I love SMARTY JONES!!!!!

13 Mar 2008 5:22 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

Gunslinger - Thanks for your Comments.  It won't be long before the Smartys start running.

13 Mar 2008 9:24 PM
Allison

I hope Smarty gets off to a great start. He's one of my fave horses of all time, and I'm still sad he wasn't able to race anymore after the Triple Crown. He really was a superstar. Do you think he'll have the same fee next year that he's had since being retired, or will it drop like so many others do once the reality of their runners hits the racetrack? I'd rather see Smarty with horses at Keeneland than at Sunland Park. Thats not such a good sign that he's even got horses there.

14 Mar 2008 12:47 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

Allison - thanks for your comments.  Smarty's stud fee is kind of in the hands of his runners. I'm sure it will be affected by how they run.

I wouldn't be discouraged by Dr. Smarty Jack starting at Sunland.  A good horse can come from anywhere - just like Smarty Jones starting out at Philadelphia Park.

14 Mar 2008 2:58 PM
Unbridled Horselover

I'd like to see news of the Saarland newbies. I love Smarty as much as anyone from Pennsylvania does, but I love Saarland's bloodlines.  I'd like to see another standout sire of the Unbridled line.

15 Mar 2008 5:55 PM
Tammy

I am a huge fan of Pleasantly Perfect, I hope you name many of his 2 year olds so I can add them to my Virtual Stable. They will only get better with age!

17 Mar 2008 1:03 AM
Blood-Horse Staff

Unbridled Horselover - Thanks for the suggestion.  We will add Saarland to the list.  I started looking at the Saarland 2-year olds and one that caught my eye is a filly out of One Bad Cat, that makes her half to El Gato Malo.  No name for this one yet, but we'll keep our eye on her.

18 Mar 2008 11:14 AM
Blood-Horse Staff

Tammy - thanks for your comments.  We are definitely keeping an eye on Pleasantly Perfect.  I see that Storm Leopard had another workout on 3/16, 3 furlongs in :36.00 at Palm Meadows.

18 Mar 2008 11:17 AM
Tammy

Has Pleasantly Perfect been bred to any Giant Causeway Mares?

18 Mar 2008 8:04 PM
Tammy

call me crazy but I think a cross of Pleasantly Perfect on a Giant Causeway mare would be intresting

18 Mar 2008 8:07 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

Tammy - None of Pleasantly Perfect's 2-year olds are out of Giant's Causeway mares, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been bred to any.  He does have 6 2-year olds out of Storm Cat mares, including the already discussed Storm Leopard.  None of the others have been named yet.

18 Mar 2008 9:17 PM
RTMF

I've seen some nice CONGAREE horses at the 2yo in training sales.  I think he makes a solid horse

18 Mar 2008 10:30 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

RTMF - thanks for the comments.  Yes, Congaree is an interesting 1st-year stallion.  I see that he had a colt sell at OBS March for $410,000.  We'll have to keep an eye on his offspring.

19 Mar 2008 7:20 PM
Kate

How's the first crop of Peace Rules coming along?  He was always pretty tough, both in terms of talent and sheer scrappiness.  Since he did do turf a bit, is he throwing any that lean that direction?  I'm not sure what his first book of mares looked like.

23 Mar 2008 4:30 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

Kate - thanks for your comments.  Yes, Peace Rules would be an interesting one to watch, especially since most of the other stallions we are looking at are in Kentucky and he is in Florida. He seems to have been bred to a variety of mares, but quite a number of Danzig-line mares which should like the turf. Also, I see mares by some of the most prominent Florida lines like Pentelicus and Valid Appeal.

25 Mar 2008 6:52 PM
Tammy

Pleasantly Perfect colt Storm Leopard 3 furlongs 35:80 fastest work of 11.

I also am a fan of Congaree, He was special

28 Mar 2008 8:11 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

Tammy - I assume you are talking about Storm Leopard's work on 3/25. That one is mentioned in today's blog. You may also want to look at the workouts mentioned in 3/25's post.

28 Mar 2008 8:29 PM
JardinFan

I REALLY want to see more of Smarty Jones' foals on here...I can't wait to see Keefer run!

21 Aug 2008 6:31 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

JardinFan - Keefer broke his maiden on July 20. Upcoming Smarties include Smarty Marty who makes her 2nd start at Saratoga on August 24.

21 Aug 2008 7:12 PM
JardinFan

I didn't know he broke his maiden! That's awesome...

Another 2 year-old by Smarty I like is Run Smart One. On July 27th he ran 3 furlongs in 39:93...I'm assuming that's good..right?

21 Aug 2008 7:22 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

JardinFan - I like Run Smart One too, I think it's the name, pretty clever. Hmmm... I don't have a workout for him for July 27, must have missed that one. His most recent work was on 8/15 at Saratoga, 4 furlongs in :49.55. If he continues his pattern, he should work tomorrow.

21 Aug 2008 8:18 PM