Better Than Any Fantasy

• 15 Comments

New Worker

Lujack (colt; Rock Hard Ten - To the Rainbow (FR) by Rainbow Quest) worked 2 furlongs at the Benton Training Center in a time of :24.00. Lujack sold for $50,000 as a yearling, and is a half-brother to grade II winner Blue Moon. Blue Moon was a debut winner at 2.

Better Than Any Fantasy

Another superlative race for Rachel Alexandra. She broke a little inward, but straightened and went to the lead. She maintained a comfortable lead in the early going and then widened in the stretch. She won by better than 8, without being asked. Everything looks so easy for this big, powerful filly. No showboating for Calvin this time around, at least not until after the wire. It's on to Kentucky for Rachel, maybe Justwhistledixie will give her a race or Gabby's Golden Gal? Watch the Replay.

By the way, Rachel Alexandra first appeared on this blog on May 5, recording a work that took place on May 1 2008. I think we are all anticipating the anniversary of that work.
Read more about the Fantasy here.

Result: April 5, 2009
Oaklawn Race 9
Fantasy Stakes (gr. II)

Rachel Alexandra $2.20
$2.20

Afleet Deceit
$4.00

Just Jenda

View Race Details

Other Results for April 5

Quick In Motion (filly; Medaglia d'Oro - Trisha Quick by Deputy Minister) pressed the early pace in her Maiden Special Weight at Sunland, but tired and finished 7th.

Doo Woppa Do (filly; Medaglia d'Oro - Doo Wop by Dynaformer) didn't have much impact in her Maiden Special Weight race at Oaklawn Park, running 8th the whole way.

Passum Pattie (filly; Peace Rules - Princess Patti by Polish Numbers) was scratched out of her Allowance/Optional Claiming race at Charles Town.

In Action April 6

Lucy to the Max (filly; Birdstone - I Dream by Wajima) and Mocha d'Oro (filly; Medaglia d'Oro - Chopard by Silver Deputy) meet in a mile turf Maiden Option Claiming race at Turf Paradise, post time 4:56 PM ET. Lucy to the Max has run 4 times, including 3 turf starts. She most recently finished 3rd on the Turf Paradise turf on March 16 while running 7.5 furlongs. Mocha d'Oro made 2 starts in 2008, and has run twice on the turf in 2009. She finished 4th last time out at a mile on the Turf Paradise turf.

Saratoga AJ

My God, she looks like the reincarnation of Ruffian, both in size and running style.

I'd say right now there is not a distaff runner alive that can beat her, including Zenyatta. We'll see.

06 Apr 2009 3:19 AM
Elaine Winter

What an amazing filly. I think we have the makings of a great one. She was toying with her field.

06 Apr 2009 8:19 AM
Draynay

I hope we get to see her open up in the Oaks.  I am sure Justwhistledixie will offer her plenty of competition.

06 Apr 2009 8:25 AM
Pam R

WOW! What a Filly! I love horse racing and while I am not the most knowledgeable about it, I would love to see Rachel Alexandra in the Kentucky Derby.  I think she's as good if not better than the colts that are running right now.  Her awesome, effortless wins remind me a lot of Zenyatta and another immortal, Ruffian.

06 Apr 2009 8:42 AM
Bajansailor

This filly is amazing,maybe she's not beating the quality of horses that the colts are facing in the preps and this year seems to be a good crop,but she ceartainly has made her call for a derby start.

06 Apr 2009 8:58 AM
Marcia

I wish someone would give her a run, so that we can see what she's got "under the hood"!

06 Apr 2009 11:35 AM
Jim P

Rachel and I Want Revenge are the horses who have stirred my imagination on the Derby trail. Friesan Fire and Chocolate Candy are great too, along with Stardom Bound. It may have been too much too early for "Stardom".

I agree there may be too many good colts to plop her in the Derby at this point in her career. Remember Pletcher wouldn't have put Rags in the Belmont had Street Sense ran.

How many great horses have Dr. Fager in the pedigree? Rachel has him on her female side. What a loss that he died at 14, the very year he led the N. American sire list.

She's named after her owner's oldest granddaughter. I wonder what that feels like for her?

06 Apr 2009 12:27 PM
aspradling

Minimum of 8 times for Borel. Scary good is our Alexandra, eh?

06 Apr 2009 1:55 PM
MRO

I love the facial markings. She is fun to watch.

06 Apr 2009 2:29 PM
sophiekea

She is just amazing. Just galloped the whole race. He didnt have to tell her to do anything. He was along for the ride.

06 Apr 2009 4:48 PM
Irish

Amazing filly! She is at the top of my Oaks list, but I want to see how Laragh does Saturday. They both have the same running style and if Laragh has improved since her two-year old career, she will be Rachel's biggest competion.

06 Apr 2009 6:03 PM
katelyn

WOW!! SHE DOES REMIND ME OF RUFFIAN I THINK THAT SHE COULD BEAT ALL THE BOYS ON DERBY DAY!DONT GET ME WRONG THERES A LOT OF GOOD COLS BUT SHE IS JUST AWESOME!

06 Apr 2009 6:55 PM
Adele Williams

What a beautiful Filly. She must be about 17 or 18 hands,as she raced so smoothly without effort.

06 Apr 2009 7:47 PM
Sioux D

Jim P: Pletcher did put Rags to Riches in the Belmont with Curlin, and he almost beat her!

As for Rachel A, she is awesome ~ so tall, such long strides, and such gracefulness!

06 Apr 2009 10:33 PM
C Bea

I like Rachel A. I would like to see our good horses beat more than 4 horses before we start labeling them great however. Let's have Rachel A do something truly remarkable first. How about a single Grade 1 to start then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5 in a row (Stardom Bound territory), then win a Breeders Cup after an undefeated season (Zenyatta territory). Until then she's a very nice filly with tremendous upside but let's keep things in a bit of perspective for the time being.

07 Apr 2009 9:50 AM