Rachel, the Birds, and a couple of Alexes

• 23 Comments
Kentucky Oaks Slide Show
KentuckyOaks092009 Kentucky Oaks

First of all, congratulations to Rachel Alexandra (Medaglia d'Oro) and all her connections for an outstanding Oaks performance. If you haven't watched the replay yet, what's wrong with you? Seriously, here is the replay to watch as much as you want. I seem to keep pulling it up, as if I can hardly believe what I saw. The magical thing about Rachel Alexandra is not what she does, but how she does it. It's just so easy for her. How good is she? Congratulations also to Stone Legacy (Birdstone), who is now Grade I stakes-placed. She was no match for Rachel, but she was better than 4 in front of the rest of them. She certainly can run all day. Gabby's Golden Gal (Medaglia d'Oro) set the early pace and then was inhaled by Rachel on the turn, tiring to 6th. She had no answer for Rachel, but there's no disgrace in that. No one has an answer for Rachel.

Mein Fraulein (Saarland) gave it a good try in the Edgewood Stakes. She was 2nd or 3rd for much of the race, before tiring to 8th. I hope she runs back on the turf.

Race 5 at Churchill Downs, the Allowance race loaded with Maiden Watch entrants, ended with a Maiden Watch trifecta. Warrior's Reward (Medaglia d'Oro), under Calvin Borel, made late closing move on the rail to overtake Munnings (Speightstown), while Reynaldothewizard (Speightstown) closed well for third. Warrior's Reward and Calvin made a similar move when Warrior's Reward won his debut. Warrior's Reward was 8th in the Tampa Bay Derby, after being closer to the pace early under Carlos Montalvo. Calvin couldn't ride that day, because he had a previous engagement riding Rachel Alexandra at Fair Grounds.

Derby Birds

The Birdstone offspring Mine That Bird and Summer Bird will have their work cut out for them in the Kentucky Derby, as they are two of the longer shots. However, stranger things have happened. I wish them both luck and hope for an uneventful trip. Summer Bird will be doing his best imitation of Stone Legacy, closing late. I'm not sure about Mine That Bird. Some have touted him as a pace factor, but I would expect him to sit off and make one move. Remember Calvin Borel is riding Mine That Bird, so look for him to save a lot of ground.

Alexes on Derby Day

Not one, but two Afleet Alexes debut on Derby Day, one at Calder and one at Arlington Park. Both are fillies. These will be the first starters for Afleet Alex.

Gray Flash will Wax Poetic for Marci's Way

4. Wildcat Honor
5. Marci's Way
6. Wax Poetic
7. She Is Gibson
8. Nelva
9. Boastingmyrights

Gray Flash (Afleet Alex - Stormy Regina by Storm Cat), born April 7, 2007, is the first starter for Afleet Alex. Afleet Alex won his debut at 2, and won or placed in 4 graded stakes that year. Overall, Afleet Alex earned $2,765,800 and was Champion 3-year old colt for 2005. Gray Flash sold for $35,000 as a yearling, and is out of the unraced Storm Cat mare, Stormy Regina. Stormy Regina has produced 6 winners from 6 to run, including stakes winner Sterling Cat. Three of Gray Flash's siblings won at 2, and one was a debut winner that season. Gray Flash has recorded 5 works, all at 3 furlongs at Calder. Her most recent work was on April 26, when she recorded a time of :39.20.

She Is Gibson (Gibson County - She Is the Tower by Catienus) and Boastingmyrights (Boastful - Read Me My Rights by Lit de Justice) met in a 2.5 furlong race at Gulfstream on April 1. She Is Gibon finished 4th, and Boastingmyrights was 8th. She Is Gibson also ran on April 9 in a 2.5 furlong race at Gulfstream, finishing 6th. She Is Gibson is the first foal out of the placed mare She Is the Tower. She Is the Tower is a full- or half-sister to 4 winners, including stakes-placed Twin Talk. Boastingmyrights is the only runner so far for first-year sire Boastful, a stakes winner on the turf who earned $315,698 in 38 starts. Boastful also finished 3rd in the 2002 Maker's Mark Mile (gr. IIT), but was unplaced in 2 starts at 2. Boastingmyrights is the first foal out of the winning mare Read Me My Rights, who earned $234,680.

Wildcat Honor (Wildcat Heir - Road to Honor by Double Honor) is by first-crop sire Wildcat Heir. Wildcat Heir has had 4 runners, which have run 5 total times, recording 2 wins and a second. His daughter Kitty in the Bag ran in the Kentucky Juvenile Stakes (gr. III) on April 30 at Churchill Downs, finishing 8th. Grade I winner Wildcat Heir won his 2-year old debut and was 2nd in the Sanford Stakes (gr. II) at 2. Overall, he earned $424,460, and won the Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash (gr. I). Wildcat Honor sold for $25,000 as a weanling, and $70,000 as a yearling. She is the 2nd foal out of the placed mare Road to Honor. Road to Honor is a half-sister to 5 winners, including stakes winners Fortune Forty Four and Federal Highway.

Sweetsassymalassie (Gimmeawink - Royal Pardon by Skip Trial) is a half-sister to one winner. Her dam, Royal Pardon, is a half-sister to 7 winners, including grade III stakes-placed Shocking Pleasure.

Salute to Her (Officer - Salute Her by King of Kings (IRE)) is the first foal out of the winning mare Salute Her. Salute Her is a half-sister to 6 winners, including grade III winner Algar, who earned $573,117.

Marci's Way (Formal Dinner - Bower's Way by Rhinflo) is out of the winning mare Bower's Way, who was a winner at 2. Bower's Way has produced 3 winners from 3 to run, 2 of which won at 2.

Wax Poetic (Mr. Livingston - Fabulous Grey by Gremlin Grey) is a half-sister to the winner Fabulosa. Wax Poetic's dam, Fabulous Grey, is a half-sister to 4 winners, including stakes-placed Fabulous Charger.

Nelva (Repent - Fleetengly by Crusader Sword) is the first foal out of the winning mare Fleetengly. Fleetengly is also a half-sister to 2 winners.

She's a Fleet, She's Packin Heat, Sister Sister

2. Richiegirlgonewild
3. Inscript
4. Sister Sister
5. Ovid Fasti
6. She's a Fleet
7. Mayhey

She's a Fleet (Afleet Alex - Society Gal by Linkage), born on April 28, 2007, is the 2nd entrant for Afleet Alex, debuting around 2.5 hours after the first. All the fillies in this one are unraced. She's a Fleet sold for $95,000 as a weanling, and is a half-sister to 3 winners, including grade III stakes-placed Jigadee. Jigadee was a debut winner at 2, and ran 2nd in the Sapling (gr. III) and 3rd in the Sanford (gr. III) that year. She's a Fleet's dam, Society Gal, is a half-sister to grade III winner and top sire, Mr. Greeley. She's a Fleet has recorded 3 official works, one at Hawthorne and 2 at Arlington Park. Most recently, she went 2 furlongs from the gate at Arlington in :23.00 on April 29.

Just like the Calder race, this one includes a filly by freshman sire Wildcat Heir. In this case, it's Richiegirlgonewild (Wildcat Heir - Dream With Angels by Saint Ballado), who sold for $100,000 as a 2-year old. Richiegirlgonewild is a half-sister to 2 winners, both of which won at 2. Her unraced dam, Dream With Angels, is a half-sister to 5 winners, including stakes-placed Maid for Speed.

Also by a first-crop sire is Ovid Fasti (Consolidator - Sinister Victory by Vice Regent), by Consolidator. Grade I winner Consolidator has had 5 starters, which have started 6 total times, recording 1 win. Consolidator won 2 races at 2, including the Lane's End Breeders' Futurity (gr. I). Ovid Fasti sold for $15,000 as a weanling, and is out of the winning mare Sinister Victory. Sinister Victory has produced 5 winners, including grade II winner Cativa. However, none of her offspring won at 2.

She's Packin Heat (Bring the Heat - Newport Nikki by Lit de Justice) is a full-sister to stakes winners Excessive Heat and Streamin Heat, both of which won at 2. Excessive Heat was a debut winner at 2, and won 2 stakes that year. Streamin Heat was also a stakes winner at 2.

Inscript (Kafwain - Eboney Oynx by Sports View) is out of the winning mare Eboney Oynx, who earned $147,095. Eboney Oynx is the dam of stakes winner Instill. Instill won 2 races at 2 (including one stakes), and has earned $203,633 through 2009.

Sister Sister (Eavesdropper - Sheryl Kay by Devil's Bag) is the 2nd foal out of the winning mare Sheryl Kay. Sheryl Kay's first foal, Kay N Rae, was a winner at 2.

Mayhey (Personal First - Chelsea's Bloomers by Storm Brewing) is out of the winning mare Chelsea's Bloomers. Chelsea's Bloomers is a full- or half-sister to 5 winners, including stakes-placed G Mans Gal.

Other Entries May 2

I don't have time to go into depth on other entries, but I did want to mention the other stakes entries on Derby Day. Stakes winner Saarlight is back in action, taking on 4 in the Nassau County Stakes (gr. III) at Belmont Park. Cassidys Pride (Medaglia d'Oro) goes in the 5.5 furlong Snurb Stakes at Calder, Tone It Down (Medaglia d'Oro) and Rule of Motion (Peace Rules) battle in the Federico Tesio at Pimlico (this race is often used as a prep for the Preakness), and C.  S. Silk (Medaglia d'Oro) runs in the Eight Belles (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.

Next week, I'll try to get back to the regular order of things, updating works and results.

Saratoga AJ

Two months ago I said she was the next coming of Ruffian and many of my old time racing buddies laughed. They are laughing no more.

Right now there's not a horse in the country that can beat her.

I can't wait to see her crush Zenyatta...I guaranty it.

Then the colts if Wiggins let's her.

Now that she has demonstrated she can rate off the lead, she's unbeatable if she stays sound.

02 May 2009 5:22 AM
BlueHen

She should take on the boys in the Preakness or Belmont.  What a filly!!

02 May 2009 9:00 AM
newsline2

Rachel Alexandra is better than Ruffian--stronger and appears more mature and confident. She's gorgeous put together, a big girl, and looks to be a legend in the making.

If someone hasn't, (please point me to the article if is available-I may have missed it) they should analyze that pedigree on BH.

Kudos to Team Rachel Alexandra. No  matter who wins today in the Derby, RA is the winner among winners.

02 May 2009 9:39 AM
2 time valley player of the year

come on owner get her into the preakness the filly division is weak and a farce if you keep running her against this group. Go against the boys she's that good.

02 May 2009 10:24 AM
Saratoga AJ

newsline2

Whoa...let's not get carried away. Maybe as good...but I don't know about better. Let's see what she does from here on.

I saw Ruffian run in person twice, and believe me, she was every bit as big and perhaps slightly heavier than Rachel. But her height is identical.

Go to YouTube and enter "Ruffian" in search...there's some good videos of her there.

I want to see her beat Zenyatta and colts before I crown her perhaps the best. I believe she'll do both.

02 May 2009 11:16 AM
Stacy

Large heart, anyone?

02 May 2009 5:19 PM
Linda Joan/Texas

You mentioned the two birds, when no one else was and then Mine that Bird with Borel wins, Borel is just awesome.He must have a way of talking to his horses! Will have to watch the video, thunderstorm knocked out TV. Had just read earlier today about Regret a filly from eons ago, ridden by a Borel in 1915, I wonder if he is any relation to Calvin. Congratulations to all.

02 May 2009 6:49 PM
Al

WOW!

Congrats to RA and Mine That Bird!!  What a weekend!

02 May 2009 6:54 PM
manowar222

Mine That Bird won The Derby!!! WOW!

02 May 2009 7:00 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

Linda Joan/Texas - we should have the replay up soon.

Hope I wasn't the only one with the exacta and the Maiden Watch Oaks/Derby Double! (ok, I wasn't that confident only had it for a $1, but I'll take it).

02 May 2009 7:03 PM
needler in Virginia

NOW who looks like a prophet??????? Possibly we should listen more to our blogmasters. Congratulations to Calvin and the Bird....well done, and well done!

02 May 2009 7:11 PM
AnneM

I bet on the other Birdstone <vbg>..But what an amazing and unexpected win. Also a great weekend for Medaglia d'Oro and Birdstone - Having offspring that win the Derby and Oaks in their first crop is quite something.

02 May 2009 7:30 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

Oh Anne, got to play both. Remember Unbridled's Song and Grindstone?

Replay is up on the Bloodhorse.com homepage (scroll a bit).

I'll try to post it by the results as well. Not sure I'll be doing a blog post tonight. It's been a long day!

02 May 2009 7:51 PM
RachelSatterfield

Sadly I put my money on the other Bird (and Papa Clem...and Dunkirk), though I was impressed with his placement with as little experience as he has.  Monster ride by Calvin.  Was a little disappointed in the race.  What was up with Dunkirk's close placement early?  I hope Fresian Fire comes out of it healthy.

02 May 2009 8:27 PM
Taryn

congratulations calvin and team,  what awesome exciting rides in the derby AND oaks,  you the man!

02 May 2009 8:59 PM
TexSpect

True, Rachel Alexandra is a beast among fillies. If she was strictly a catch me if you can type, I would agree with tackling the boys. What I saw was there was nothing behind her in the KY Oaks. Fillies really try hard against the opposite gender to the point of strain. That is what happened to Ruffian and Eight Belles, and some others that have tried, not the track surface. Let's see how she fares against the likes of Stardom Bound and Zenyatta, If she beats them with ease, then I would consider the boys.

02 May 2009 9:34 PM
Gulchfan

I looked up the charts on the races of the Afleet Alex babies and was *shocked* to see the weights on them (and several others in the race) was *118*!  What is with that?!?!  Einstein, 6.5 (biologically) year old stallion, carries 119 in a Grade I race (along with the second place Cowboy Cal, 5 pounds less than third place Court Vision, again, I don't understand, Einstein dusted CV in the Big Cap, and yet, CV,  just a 4 year old is assigned 124? Mott and the IEAH clowns should have scratched him...and while I'm railing on them, way to ruin Kip Deville by taking him to Dubai instead of keeping him home and taking the Maker's Mark Mile again...), and these babies, making their first starts carry only one pound less?  How can that be?  What are the racing secretaries thinking, and how can their connections let them run under those conditions?

02 May 2009 11:18 PM
Gulchfan

...forgot to add, for the record, I'm against these early-in-the-year 'baby races,' I don't think 2 year olds should race until at least July, that way they're *all* biologically 2 years old; also, asking them to run, basically like Quarter Horses, for so much speed so early, can't be good for them…what happened to long, loping workouts to build bone and muscle?  These races reek of people trying to get as quick a return on their investment as possible, no matter the cost to the horses.  How many of these runners will even still be racing at this time next year, never mind at a high level.  And yes, I know Rachel Alexandra first started May 22 last year, and came back twice in June, but she’s, well, a freak (and she then had a rest until November) and what happened to the fillies she ran against in those races?  What happened to Sara Louise, for that matter?

02 May 2009 11:28 PM
sophiekea

Woohoo! Birdstones ruled Churchill! I cant believe the little guy got the big win, also Summer Bird got a very respectable sixth and although RA is a freak a good 2nd to here for Stone Legacy is awesome. Thanks Marylou for keeping it real!

02 May 2009 11:31 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

Gulchfan - All the fillies in both 2-year old races previewed have passed their actual 2nd birthdays.

03 May 2009 12:32 AM
da3hoss

Thanks for having MTB in your maiden watch last year, because of following him last year with you in his really good two-year old year, even though he seemed to drop off the radar screen at Sunland, I just couldn't forget another non-descript little brown horse that simply motored on while the big boys battled in the 2004 Belmont! let's wish MTB well.

03 May 2009 7:58 AM
Saratoga AJ

I live a mile from the Cady Hill house...Marylou Whitney's 135 acre mansion and grounds. I think you could here the cheers from here yesterday at 6:31 PM!

I'm still stunned. Even Giacomo figured more than the Bird did.

03 May 2009 10:25 AM
Gulchfan

to Blood-Horse Staff:

not all of the ones who ran at Keeneland a couple of weeks ago were, I looked up a few of those....and even if they are biologically 24 months, 118 pounds seems like too much impost (at least one in those races was only 108, that seems more reasonable, sorry, jockeys)

03 May 2009 4:24 PM