Luv That Bird

• 22 Comments

An Oaks and a Derby winner? The 2009 Maiden Watch first-crop stallions sure have a lot to live up to.

Not much I can add to the Mine That Bird story, except my congratulations to him and all of his connections. I'm sure we've all seen the replay, but it doesn't get old. Summer Bird ran a credible race as well, checking in at 6th. One difference between Mine That Bird and Summer Bird, is that Mine That Bird had the rail and Summer Bird went 7-wide. Mine That Bird's connections seem indecisive about the Preakness, but they'll probably go. Summer Bird will wait for the Belmont. Both colts are better suited to the Belmont, but Mine That Bird has shown the flashes of speed that will help at Pimlico.

I thought it would be interesting to look back at my comments from Mine That Bird's debut, a 6 furlong Maiden Special Weight contest on July 20 at Woodbine, in which he finished 5th: "Our other runner, Mine That Bird (Birdstone) had no early speed, but he did pass 3 horses in the stretch to pick up 5th. Experience and distance may help this one." Incidentally, the winner of that one was the Congaree colt Oconee, who later ran second (behind Mine That Bird) in the Silver Deputy. Mine That Bird dropped into the claiming ranks in his next start on August 4 and got the win, wearing down the leaders late. He paid $20.20. I remember at the time thinking that was a generous payoff!

No Honor for Gray Flash

Gray Flash (Afleet Alex) stumbled at the start and that was pretty much end of story for her (remember this was a 2 furlong race). Throw this one out. Wildcat Honor bumped with Salute to Her at the start, but soon Wildcat Honor was on the lead. She Is Gibson and Boastingmyrights, the two experienced fillies, chased gamely, but couldn't catch Wildcat Honor who became the 3rd winner for her sire, Wildcat Heir. Watch the Replay.

Result: May 2, 2009
Calder Race 1
Maiden Special Weight

Wildcat Honor
$3.20
$2.40
$2.10
She Is Gibson
$2.80
$2.20
Boatingmyrights

$4.60

View Race Details

Richie Girl, She's a Fleet

Wildcat Heir's 4th winner came in our other race, as Richiegirlgonewild was an impressive 4 length winner. That's a big margin for a 2 furlong race. She was in control from the first jump. Sister Sister and Inscript battled it out for place. She's a Fleet, went off as the favorite, but started slowly and finished 5th.  Watch the Replay.

Result: May 2, 2009
Arlington Park Race 5
Maiden Special Weight

Richiegirlgonewild
$6.00
$3.80
$3.00
Sister Sister

$4.40
$3.40
Inscript
$4.00

View Race Details

Other Results

It's an understatement to say that I am behind in updating results, so I'll just hit the highlights. First, the other stakes on Derby Day. Saarlight (Saarland) looked like a winner in the Nassau County at Belmont, but Flashing came back on her and got the win. Saarlight settled for 2nd.  Cassidys Pride (Medaglia d'Oro) finished 3rd in the Snurb Stakes. Tone It Down (Medaglia d'Oro) was 3rd, and Rule of Motion (Peace Rules) finished 8th in the Tesio Stakes at Pimlico. C. S. Silk (Medaglia d'Oro) was 5th in the Eight Belles. On Sunday, May 3, Mullins Beach (Speightstown) finished 3rd in the Fury Stakes at Woodbine, and Frosty Diamond (Medaglia d'Oro) was 3rd in the Naked Greed Stakes at Calder.

Me You and Her (Smarty Jones) took her third straight, a mile and 70 yard Starter Allowance at Philadelphia Park on May 2.

Jersey Town (Speightstown) is now 2 for 2, after winning a Starter Allowance at Belmont Park on May 3.

Hug It Out (Medaglia d'Oro) took a 6 furlong Allowance/Optional Claiming race at Arlington Park on May 3.

Maiden Winners

Saarcasticly (Saarland) scored on April 30 at Penn National.

Senor Fuego (Speightstown) was a debut winner in a 6 furlong Maiden Special Weight at Churchill Downs on May 1.

Bosco Rules (Peace Rules) took a mile and a sixteenth contest at Arlington Park on May 1.

Runningforspeight (Speightstown) was a winner by 8 at Thistledown on May 1.

Kiddari (Smarty Jones) took an off the turf contest reduced to 4 entries on May 1 at Churchill Downs.

Barrichello (Speightstown) was a winner at Woodbine on May 2.

New Workers

April 1

No, that is not a misprint. I received notice on May 2 for a workout from April 1 for Quechee (colt; Afleet Alex - Tarika by Cozzene) of 3 furlongs in :38.60 at Vinery Stable. Quechee is a half-brother to 4 winners, including stakes winner Auction Watch.

April 27

Sweet Kitten (filly; Kitten's Joy - Sweet Kassidy by Saint Ballado) worked 2 furlongs at Camarero Race Track in :24.00. Sweet Kitten is the 2nd foal out of the winning mare Sweet Kassidy. Sweet Kassidy did not run at 2, but she did win her debut at 3. Sweet Kassidy is a half-sister to 4 winners, including stakes winner Utravase.

April 29

Quick Kid (colt; Ghostzapper - Perfect Sting by Red Ransom) worked 2 furlongs in :26.10 at Adena Springs. Champion Perfect Sting, dam of Quick Kid, earned $2,202,042 in a 21 race career. She was also a debut winner at 2 and won the Green River Stakes that year. Perfect Sting has produced the winner Perfect Bullet, who has earned $101,542 through 2009.

April 30

Feather Nestin' (filly; Saint Liam - Prairie Princess by Rocky Mountain) worked at Belmont Park, going 3 furlongs in :39.96. Grade III winner Prairie Princes won 3 races at 2, including the Miesque Stakes. She has produced the winner Back to Mandalay.

May 1

In the Crosshairs (colt; Afleet Alex - Parisian Deputy by French Deputy) worked 1 furlong at the Pegasus Thoroughbred Training Center, recording a time of :13.80. In the Crosshairs was a $135,000 yearling, and is the 2nd foal out of the winning mare Parisian Deputy, who was a winner at 2. Parisian Deputy's first foal is the winning Medaglia d'Oro colt, Anaan.

At Keeneland, Doubles Partner (colt; Rock Hard Ten - Serena's Sister by Rahy) worked 3 furlongs in :35.60. Doubles Partner sold for $450,000 as a yearling. His dam, Serena's Sister, is a full-sister to champion Serena's Song. Serena's Sister has produced 3 winners, including stakes winner Stormy Venus.

May 2

Baby Afleet (colt; Afleet Alex - Dancen in the Sun by Regal Classic) worked 3 furlongs in :38.60 at Keeneland. Stakes-placed Dancen in the Sun, dam of Baby Afleet, has produced one winner from one to run.

Fox Hunt (filly; Saint Liam - Zorra by Silent Fox) worked 3 furlongs in :39.60 at Monmouth Park. Fox Hunt is out of stakes-placed Zorra. Zorra has produced 3 winners.

Dave

Well let me say this about that so called Derby race. It was a disgrace. All the good horses were on the outside and it looked more like a Bumper Car race then a horse race. It it had been a 2,000 claimer they would have been objections out the kazoo.Then again it sort of reminded me of a pin ball machine, You know, the ball hitting the bumpers. And the track was more mushy then sloppy. Even during the weeks racing all the lesser known trainers were winning the races. I credit that to the fact that most trainers don`t have million dollar stock that runs good on fast tracks. They have to take what they can get,. And to be truthful, I`m glad they got a break for a change.And I have the feeling that derby winner will go the way of Giacomo, and not win much more with that kind of company.He benifitted from being from cheaper stock that can run in off tracks.

04 May 2009 12:37 AM
Ray

Well i believed that Mine That Bird is more than a decent horse.

04 May 2009 12:53 AM
Baloobas

Is this your first Derby Dave? Bumping and bad trips are par for the course in the Derby. Pioneerof the Nile for one had a great trip, according to Gomez, just couldn't hold off Mine that Bird.

04 May 2009 1:02 AM
Lecylue

This is for you Dave. For one thing when you have a twenty horse field there is always bumping and jocking for position. Its happened in every Derby I have ever seen, not sure which ones you saw that it didn't happen, but if you know of one let me know which one so I can watch that perfect race. In case you missed it Mine That Bird got crushed coming out of the starting gate, so it wasn't like his trip was pie and cake either.  Also, in case you just had a bad day, didn't bet the winner and wanted to bash the race because you lost a dollar or two or maybe you just like to have something to complain about, maybe you should study the time of the past Derby's because if you do you will see that the time ran on a sloppy track by Mine That Bird  was the fastest ever! That cheap little horse had never ran on a sloppy track, but he faced grade one winning horse, and he left them in his wake. I really don't believe he was just lucky, but you may be right, he may never win again Dave, or he may win the triple crown, I just don't know.  There is one thing I do know for sure though, he ran one of the best Derby's I have seen in the last ten years. Maybe you should take a chill pill Dave, and enjoy life, it will make you feel much better if you do.

04 May 2009 6:50 AM
da3hoss

Actually, I think the difference between MTB and SB was about 15 lengths...;-)

04 May 2009 8:15 AM
Linda Joan

I knew it would be just a few hours and someone would try and dig up dirt on the winners and so it has come to pass. What happened in 2003 or 04 or whenever should have been prosecuted for any wrong doing then. But to bring it up now is wrong. In this day and age of greed,bail outs, pay outs and Tarp Funds, it is really best not to throw rocks at a glass house unless you are squeaky clean yourself. Old Money,Big money, Someones Money has always been behind racing because it is an expensive business and who knows where every dime came from?  Mine That Bird won and did so convincingly and to try and discredit Mine That Bird's win is shameful. He is a Kentucky bred horse, what more is there to say, check his lineage.

04 May 2009 8:22 AM
Lecylue

Was it me, or did anyone else feel that Tom Durkins call of this Derby was the worst one he has ever called?  I was just so shocked when Mine That Bird made his move and even when he took the lead Mr. Durkin didn't even notice until he was three lenghts in front. I heard the race caller at Churchill Downs call the race on a replay, and it was just hands down more exciting than Tom Durkins. Give me your feed back.

04 May 2009 8:27 AM
sophiekea

sour grapes Dave? MTB gets no respect just as Grindstone got no respect. Why doesnt everyone get it that he is classically bred and just had a great ride on the most perfect day? The Derby is about peaking and having your best day when the stars align for the horse that be...and it did for MTB. Im so happy for Birdstone as a stallion as he didnt get the respect he deserved having two horses competing on the big day.

Everyone was hyping the wrong horse and Im glad they did. Dont think Summer Bird wont show up big at Belmont either. Its in their blood and heart. Something you cant xray or predict...

04 May 2009 10:22 AM
Blood-Horse Staff

da3hoss - Ha, good point.

04 May 2009 10:39 AM
Mobius_Bob

Dear "Mine That Bird" and Mr. Borel,

Your thrilling performance Sat. reminded me of that old song: "The needle's eye that does supply, the thread that runs so true, many a beau have I let go because I wanted you..."  Go for the Preakness! Bob Burgan

04 May 2009 10:44 AM
Frank J.

Lecylue, wow, after the race was over and the replays kept showing over and over I thought the EXACT same thing about Durkin...worst call ever!! I mean it's one thing to be shocked and in awe but he didn't even call MTB coming up the rail til it was pretty much over. He did call Street Sense's move in 07 pretty well but honestly this was a disgrace. Glad I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing.

04 May 2009 11:26 AM
Rhonda

Lets hear it for the little guy !!! This is like a Seabiscuit story!! The best horse won, and the best jockey, Calvin Borel. Running in the mud is tough and Calvin took to the rail saved ground and brought the horse home.  Cheers !!!!!!

04 May 2009 11:31 AM
JCRobinson

Giacomo in his entire career won 3 races, 2 stakes.  Mine That Bird was already more accomplished (4 wins, 3 stakes) before he ever set hoof on Churchill Downs. I could see him becoming like Real Quiet, who was 1-2-3 in 17 of 20 career, and never off the board after Jan. of his 3 year old season.  Much as I would like to see a TC run, I'm glad that his connections are publicly considering what they feel will be right for the horse.  That in the end I think could win just as many,if not more, fans.

04 May 2009 11:32 AM
smartydeb

Linda Joan -

I agree that Tom Durkin totally blew the call in the stretch, it was as if he didn't even see Mine That Bird until he was way out in front.  Then he had to look it up to see who number 8 was, he clearly hesitated before giving the horse's name.  But I am sure he was as shocked as most of the rest of the world was at who was running away with the race.  It was not one of his finer race calls, and he is one of the best.

04 May 2009 11:45 AM
nanniecharlotte

I agree with you Lecylue, I am not an expert on sportcasters but that was a shameful job done by Mr. Durkins.  I listened to other commentators who did their job correctly and paid more attention to what was going on instead of acting like one of the crowd rooting for favorites.

04 May 2009 12:10 PM
Broken Tree

Durkins call was the worst ever ! He totally overlooked MTB I Usually LOVE his race calls But he had a very off day I guess

04 May 2009 4:12 PM
shesfast

oh come on guys...lets be nice to Mr. Durkin. he was probably in shock along with 98% of anyone else watching the race. Grats MTB and connections <3

However, I will agree that...Birdstone wins the Belmont Stakes phrase kinda gets on my nerves.

04 May 2009 7:48 PM
shesfast

thank you maiden watch for all the great info on MTB and all other horses. this is a great blog. Got anymore?

04 May 2009 7:52 PM
LDP

ah hell he was hid on the rail.

mr bo-rail was on the trail.

mr wooley brought the trailer

doc blach was there as well

barbaro got to share

barbaro's racing fans got a rose

mr allen had a real good time

the handicappers got fresh eggs

the hard boots got to whine

the little guys won!

yeah it was a great day for racing.

im not a poet but oh well

04 May 2009 9:32 PM
shesfast

Barbaro won his derby from the 8th hole...hmmmn

lol

05 May 2009 2:10 PM
Householder

I would have like to have seen a close up of Go Go's face...thinking he had the race sewed up at the 1/8 pole and BAM MTB shoots past him leaving him no time to react.  Did he even see MTB?

05 May 2009 7:44 PM
sophiekea

I just wish Go Go didnt bump Musket Man in the stretch, I would have had the exacta! I dont think he saw MTB, he was too busy worrying about MM!

Has anyone noticed that Birdstone had quite a few winners this past week?

05 May 2009 9:45 PM