Time to Vote for 2013 Stallions

• 16 Comments

2013 Stallion Poll

The poll is now open to determine which stallions to follow in 2013. You can vote for up to 5 horses. I have tried to include all the stallions that were suggested by readers, with the exception of Pyro. Unfortunately, I do not feel like I can adequately cover a stallion whose offpring will be primarily running in Japan, so I have removed him from consideration. Also, there are a few stallions on this list whose offspring will probably run mostly in Europe. I'm willing to cover these, but the coverage will not be as complete as North American-standing sires. If I have forgotten someone, if there is someone else that you would like to add, or if any of the stallions are out of alphabetical order, please let me know in the comments. Also feel free to list your choices with reasons in the comments, and to lobby others to vote. If you need additional information about the horses, the Stallion Register is an excellence reference. The poll will remain open for approximately a week, maybe longer if there is close voting for some spots.

January 6 Result

Lord of the Realm (colt; Curlin - Danceroftherealm (GB) by King of Kings (IRE)) was scratched from Race 8 at Fair Grounds, as it came off of the turf and was run on the sloppy main track. Favorite Animal Style (Spanish Steps - Seeking the Sky by Storm Cat) was the winner. Watch the Replay.

January 7 Result

The Pink Monkey (filly; The Green Monkey - Senorina Valentina by Flying Victor) dueled for much of Race 6 at Parx, a 6 furlong Maiden Claiming Race (Claiming Price $22,500), but tired and finished 7th. One Smart Philly (Smarty Jones - Philly Gal by Doneraile Court) came from off the pace for the victory. Watch the Replay.

January 9 Entries

Midnightinpositano (filly; Midnight Lute - Janeian (NZ) by The Jogger) breaks from the rail in Race 3 at Aqueduct, a mile and 70 yard Maiden Claiming Race (Claiming Price $16,000). Post time is 1:26 PM ET. Midnightinpositano finished 6th in her only start, a 6 furlong Maiden Claiming Race at Aqueduct on December 16. She last worked on December 31, going 4 furlongs in :51.27 at Aqueduct. She was purchased for $8,000 as a yearling, and for $9,000 at 2, and is out of grade III winner Janeian, who earned $393,184. Janeian is the dam of 2 winners.

Midnight Officer (colt; Midnight Lute - Against the Law by Officer) runs in race 7 at Turf Paradise, a 5.5 furlong Maiden Optional Claiming Race. Post time is 5:26 PM ET, and Midnight Officer is on the rail. Midnight Officer has run once, finishing 2nd in a 5.5 furlong Maiden Optional Claiming Race at Turf Paradise on December 30. He is the first foal out of stakes winner Against the Law, who earned $106,780 overall. Against the Law is a half sister to 2 winners, including stakes winner Sunday Geisha, who earned $242,640.

AnneM

Hard to come up with 5. This year has what I consider a very weak group. U S Ranger, Pioneer of the Nile and Einstein are the only real serious stallion prospect. I don't like all the Unbridled Song's in this group - will produce offspring with lots of speed that retire early due to undsoundness if they don't breakdown on the track.

09 Jan 2013 9:49 AM
Pedigree Ann

I'm surprised that people appear to think that distance-preferring horses like Einstein and Colonel John will be churning out early-winning 2yo sorts. (Or at least, that's how I interpret the voting.) I would expect their offspring to come into their own a bit later.

09 Jan 2013 9:58 AM
i812many

Of the stayers on this list "parading" appears to be the only one, IMO, to throw early stayers. I was never keen on him,when he was a runner who caused me to miss quite a few cashed tickets(always overlooked). In retrospect , he put to together quite a career going a distance of ground, and early on. Will be curious to see how his babies will perform on track. Best of luck to u "PARADING" your babies in the winners circle!

09 Jan 2013 10:39 AM
SiestaKey

I think In Summation is a glaring omission.

09 Jan 2013 10:53 AM
Blood-Horse Staff

In Summation has been added.

09 Jan 2013 12:23 PM
AnneM

I didn't include Sea the Stars as his offspring will mostly run in Europe - and since they will be turf runners - I can't imagine a lot of US starters. However, I do think Sea the Stars was one of the best race horses in the last decade.

09 Jan 2013 3:21 PM
CIsaacs

Cant believe folks are picking horses by USong,Spend a Buck etc to be good stallions.The best of the lot is Parading by Sire of Sires Pulpit.Didn't start his career out good,but broke out later on and We all know what Pulpit can do.

09 Jan 2013 6:54 PM
Criminal Type

I have been watching for Animal Style. I was tipped off on this son of UBSong's full brother Spanish Steps a few weeks ago. Apparently he is highly regarded in the barn and certainly has a nice pedigree being out of a Storm Cat mare and the connections, The Ramsey's, Rosie Napravnik and Mike Maker dont come much better. Will be watching to see where he lands next.

10 Jan 2013 9:59 AM
Fran Loszynski

I noticed alot have not voted for my some of my choices like Papa Clem, Denis of Cork, Kodiak Kowboy, but wait and see! Remember Flower Alley wasn't that great on the list and who is his son-"I'll Have Another!" but it doesn't matter because Afleet Alex's son "Called To Serve" is going to win big this year.

10 Jan 2013 1:45 PM
Tiz Herself

Colonel John

Tiago

Einstein

Sea The Stars

Pioneerofthe Nile

Best of luck to the freshmans! I can't wait to see the 'Colonels' on track!

10 Jan 2013 9:49 PM
Tiz Herself

It'll also be interesting to see how Diabolical, Noonmark, Talent Search, Bushwacker (he was a fav of mine), Cable Boy do at stud

10 Jan 2013 10:07 PM
Baby Jane Towser

Dunkirk is my #1 - best combo of talent, looks and pedigree - tail female is Mystify

U.S. Ranger - Danzig w/Hail to Reason a powerful duo; also Andover Way is 2nd dam

Two Step Salsa - Petionville/Slew including 4x5x4 Buckpasser = heavy War Admiral/La Troienne

Cowboy Cal - Giant's Causeway/Seeking the Gold cross is capable of producing a good sire; 4th dam is Cornish Prince/The Axe & is 3x4 Eight Thirty

Zensational - t/f Myrtlewood, ancestress of sires Siberian Express, Elusive Quality, Slew & Mr. P; also he is 4x4 Mr. P

11 Jan 2013 12:49 AM
Karen in Indiana

Pedigree Ann, you're right that those will probably be stallions whose offspring get better with age. But I know I'll follow them as they get older and enjoy it more because they took longer to get there. The breed needs more durability and if Einstein isn't an example of that, I don't know what horse would be. I get pretty tired of just getting to know a horse and then it's gone.

11 Jan 2013 3:49 PM
Davids

Perhaps, to achieve a better result all round, and to ensure a more interesting blog for readers, it would be better to reframe the voting question to:

Which 1st-year stallions will be more precocious in 2013? Vote for 5.

Last year I thought Majestic Warrior would be one of the major contenders to follow on this blog but was outvoted. Sightseeing (alas) was my other major choice.

Maimonides and Parading look as though they are going to miss the cut but as 2 year old sires you would expect them to have more precocious progeny than most on this list. Just a thought.

12 Jan 2013 2:54 AM
Blood-Horse Staff

Davids - I appreciate your comments, but I am not changing the poll. People are free to choose stallions for whatever reason. Furthermore, you will find that the leading sires will get coverage, even if they differ from the chosen ones. For example, do a google search for "majestic warrior" "maiden watch" and you will see how often his offspring appeared on the blog in 2012.

If you are unhappy with the selections, I encourage you to start your own blog and follow stallions of your choosing. The more the merrier.

12 Jan 2013 10:37 AM
perry jackson

Baby Jane Towser I agree with your comments on Dunkirk. His looks are outstanding.  Conformation seems perfect. I wished he could have raced longer. I remember him selling for $3.7 million.  I am not sure why he did not race at 2. He stumbled at the break in the KY Derby and did not like the mud.  However, even after suffering a condylar fracture to his left hind cannon bone during the Belmont he only lost to Summer Bird by a few lengths.

I hope he hangs on to the 5th spot.  I look forward to seeing his offspring run.

14 Jan 2013 11:15 AM