Time to Vote for the 2014 Stallions

• 13 Comments

2014 Stallion Poll

The poll is now open to determine which stallions to follow in 2014. You can vote for up to 5 horses. I have tried to include all the stallions that were suggested by readers. If I have forgotten someone, or if there is someone else that you would like to add, please let me know in the comments. The stallions are listed in alphabetical order (or they should be, if you notice any out of order, let me know). Feel free to list your choices with reasons in the comments, and to lobby others to vote. If you need additional information about the horses, the Stallion Register is an excellence reference. The poll will remain open for approximately a week, maybe longer if there is close voting for some spots.

January 5 Result

Hubbala Hubbala (filly; Colonel John - Miss Buddhafull by Buddha) finished 4th in Race 3 at Fair Grounds, a mile and 70 yard Maiden Claiming Race (Claiming Price $12,500). Favorite Diamonds for Dixie (Dixie Union - Sky Select by Sky Mesa) won by 1/2 length. Watch the Replay.

Good to be Aware

There were no scratches, and the track was fast. Blue Serenade (Dunkirk - Are You Home by El Prado (IRE)) was favored. Also well-respected by the bettors was Majestic Lady (Majestic Warrior - Publicity Shy by Bertrando). Majestic Lady broke on top. She was joined by Katy's Cookin (Mineshaft - She's a Judge by Deputed Testamony), and this pair dueled early. Hot Little Thang (Bushwacker - Mamas Flyin by Rio Verde) and Aware (El Roblar - Glassford Hill by Benton Creek) were in pursuit. Blue Serenade was near the back, but soon began to make up ground. Hot Little Thang came up the rail to grab the lead, but Aware was coming after her. Also continuing to close was Blue Serenade. Aware went on by to take the win by a length. Hot Little Thang just held off a hard charging Blue Serenade for second. Majestic Lady weakened to fourth, followed by her fellow-pacesetter Katy's Cookin. Game Kick (Tribal Rule - Kick the Can by Game Plan) and Sexy Hottie (Something Sexy - Hula Hottie by Aloha Prospector) completed the order. Watch the Replay.

January 6, 2014
Turf Paradise Race 1
Maiden Optional Claiming

Aware
$15.60
$7.00
$3.00
Hot Little Thang

$4.20
$2.40
Blue Serenade

$2.10

Mollyl

How could Desert Party be left off of this list?!

2011 Stud Fee: $10,000

2012 Foals: 87

58 offered, 44 sold, $2,861,700 gross, $65,039 average, $38,500 median

Colts: 23 sold, $79,130 avg

Fillies: 21 sold, $49,605 avg

09 Jan 2014 8:59 AM
Blood-Horse Staff

Mollyl - Desert Party has been added.

09 Jan 2014 9:12 AM
Coldfacts

Eskendereya, Quality Road, Super Saver and Discreetly Mine were all trained by Todd Pletcher. They occupy 4 of the top eight spot in the voting.

Horses that transition to stallions from High Octane Barns rarely do well with their 1st crops.

Hold Me Back, Desert Party and Musket Man should out perform the Pletcher quartet

09 Jan 2014 10:40 AM
Eliza

Summer Bird passed away recently.

09 Jan 2014 11:32 AM
Blood-Horse Staff

MarlenaW - Yes, that is true, but his death does not prevent us from following his first crop.

09 Jan 2014 11:42 AM
mz

Presuming that my (getting-no-love) picks continue to trend mostly at or near the bottom of the choices (jeeze loueeze!), what do you suggest in order for me to follow them when you will not be doing so in this blog?

(However, if any of them become the next Dynaformer, I'm gonna do a lot of "I told you so"-ing!)

(On the other hand, if they don't, never mind)

09 Jan 2014 4:53 PM
AnneM

mz - some of mine are not popular either.  I keep track privately through a combo of the Pedigree database and equibase. I have a spreadsheet that has offspring and their racing stats by sire.

09 Jan 2014 6:53 PM
Blood-Horse Staff

mz - Adding to what AnneM said. You can use  http://www.pedigreequery.com/ to find names of 2-year-olds by your stallions and then add them to one of the watch sites, such as Equibase, DRF, or Brisnet. Brisnet also has a stallion watch, but it costs and most of us are to cheap to pay for that. You can supplement the names of pedigree query by checking auction results (especially the 2-year-old auctions), and works for 2yos.

There are also watch services for European horses, but most of them will not allow you to add horses until the horse has been entered. I like Irishracing.com's Horse Tracker service: www.irishracing.com/horsetracker For European entries, I usually check the entries every day. Again, I prefer irishracing.com, you can scan the entries and look for the stallions you are interested in (for example: www.irishracing.com/.../Dundalk_Fri_10th_Jan_2014_6_15.html).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions or need additional information.

09 Jan 2014 7:35 PM
Bret Stossel

The biggest names get the best mares so I went mostly chalk. Wasn't it Vanderbilt who said after 50+ years of racing, "If I had gelded every stallion I ever raced, I would have only made one mistake! (Native Dancer)"

09 Jan 2014 8:29 PM
Turnbackthealarm

The top four as of my vote were Lookin at Lucky, Eskendreya, Blame and Quality Road which are a fine, high profile group. However, I would like you to look at Musket Man as the fifth.  I think it would be nice to add a Florida based sire, he was very sound, game and won at a variety of distances.  He could be interesting as a sire if he passes on his mental and physical toughness.

09 Jan 2014 9:13 PM
mz

It's nice to know that the Internet can Los be used for Good

09 Jan 2014 9:55 PM
mz

Sorry

"Los" should have been "also"

09 Jan 2014 9:56 PM
Curlin Eyes

I encourage voters to think about Summer Bird.  He came from a small town track (Oaklawn) and had a new young trainer (Tim Ice).  Yet he won all three of New York's big races, Belmont, Travers, and Jockey Club Gold Cup (beating his elders).  He earned the Eclipse for best 3 year old. He was the son of a Belmont winner.  It will be interesting to follow his offspring.

10 Jan 2014 9:22 AM