Nicanor's Four Furlong Work

On Friday, Dec. 12, Nicanor posted his second work since relocating to Palm Meadows Training Center in Florida for the winter. The 2-year-old Dynaformer colt breezed four furlongs in :50.8 seconds.

“He’s doing very well, and he worked very well the other day,” said trainer Michael Matz. “We are just going right along with him.”

Nicanor’s work ranked 27th out of the 30 done at that distance. His breeze was over the facility’s 1 1/8-mile main track, which is dirt.

While at Fair Hill in Maryland, Nicanor worked over both the dirt track and the all weather training track there. At Palm Meadows, he has posted both of his workouts on dirt. On Dec. 5, Nicanor breezed three furlongs in :38 seconds flat.

“I think he could handle both of them,” Matz said of the colt’s surface preference. “I think it really wouldn’t make a difference. He could probably do either one.”

In addition to its dirt track, Palm Meadows offers a seven-eighths of a mile turf track and a one mile, L-shaped jogging track, which borders the main track. The surfaces of the tracks are similar to that of Gulfstream Park. For more information on Palm Meadows, please visit http://www.gulfstreampark.com/Footer/About+Us/About+Palm+Meadows/

Laura

Amanda, thanks for the news on Nicanor.  It is great to see that he is doing more workouts now, after a long time that he had not done any workouts because of his growth spurt.  I am really excited til he finally has his first race.  From what I can see is that he might just make his debut in a couple of weeks.  I just also have this feeling that he will win his first race that can be on grass.  I just know that he might still have a chance to compete in the Triple Crown.  Look at Curlin he started as a three year old and he still made it to compete in the Triple Crown races.  I am just excited about him right now.  I also can't wait for the new colt that La Ville Rouge is having next year making it a third brother to Barbaro.  Thanks again Amanda for the news on Nicanor.

14 Dec 2008 11:39 AM
MikeM

I know he's Barbaro's brother but please, do we have to hear about every workout. It's a long shot at best that he will be a fraction of what his brother was. Can we give it a rest untill he breaks his maiden ?

14 Dec 2008 12:07 PM
Kathy

I love hearing about Nicanor. As I continue to read disparaging remarks about Nicanor's chances, I am curious as what are considered great times for thoroughbreds horses bred for distance. Nicanor went 4 furlongs last summer in 50 seconds flat. And he went 50.80 last Friday. Should the times be faster or should they be slower for him? I am guessing that Michael Matz is allowing Nicanor to show what he is made of without much pushing. Also, is Nicanor training with other horses and is he shwoing competitiveness with them?

14 Dec 2008 12:13 PM
Marigold

Mike, Why don't you give it a rest and go elsewhere?  Why do you come to this forum if you don't want to hear about Nicanor??  We all do want to hear about him and follow him.  Give us a break!

14 Dec 2008 12:51 PM
Tracy

Let us all just believe in Nicanor.The great race horses never show what they have got till the need to.I am glad we get to hear as much news on Nicanor and Lentenor as possible.Thank you.

14 Dec 2008 1:01 PM
Nick

If you don't want to hear about workouts, don't read the posts about them. It's pretty simple, actually. Personally I'm happy to see the updates even if Nicanor is already in my virtual stable.

14 Dec 2008 1:12 PM
Kathy

All we had for several months was speculation as to what was happening to Nicanor. And now we have people who don't want to know about the workouts. What I have noticed about the workouts for Michael Matz' charges is that a horse like Rockland has three or so workouts and then Michael Matz races them. Nicanor has three current workouts under his belt, so Nicanor is probably real close to his first race. Remember Nicanor just may be a fraction or so better than Barbaro was. Why do people have to always be so negative. And really who cares if Nicanor takes two races to break maiden. I sure as "H" don't.

14 Dec 2008 1:55 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Kathy -  It is almost impossible to tell how well a horse will race based on his times in workouts. Some horses are "morning glories" and post great times in the workouts, but can't run to save their lives in the afternoons. Other horses are lazy in the morning, and save it for real races. Then some are slow/fast in the morning and equally slow/fast in the afternoon.

Twelve seconds per furlong is a basic marker to judge workouts from.

14 Dec 2008 2:05 PM
Kathy

Thanks Amanda, I just wasn't sure. It appears that workouts are simply a gauge. And coming in first in workouts isn't necessarily a good thing.

14 Dec 2008 2:29 PM
luv the boy

why are a couple of these people complaining because of hearing on the updates on Nicanor's workout's.  well don't read it.  Some of us want to hear it.  I am wondering about Lentenor, also.  I know just because they're Barbaro's brothers doesn't mean a thing.  but here's hoping----go Nicanor------------

14 Dec 2008 2:52 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Luv the boy - Here is the most recent update on Lentenor, in case you missed it: cs.bloodhorse.com/.../lentenor-s-new-life.aspx

14 Dec 2008 3:34 PM
Majella from Ireland

Thats great that hes working out. It wasnt very fast (Im using the fact that he beat only three others) but it looks like he will race. And even if he isnt very good, he'll always be special.

14 Dec 2008 4:24 PM
LyndaP31

MikeM, please go read another blog and leave us alone. It's a free country.

Some horses can come off of three or four workouts and race, while others can't. rockland obviously matured much faster than Nicanor, and since all horses are different, they are all on different schedules.

14 Dec 2008 4:55 PM
russell maiers

The people on this blog follow because they like or love the horse no matter what he does in the future. I read it in admiration and respect to these people. A lot of horse racing fans only like the winners or the ones that compete at the highest levels. Thats ok, and its also easier. Keep it up Barbaro, his brothers, and hopefully sisters fans. I love reading your comments and honest questions!

14 Dec 2008 4:59 PM
DONNA

Thanks for the news on Nic. Every little bit of news is appreciated on the two Barbaro brothers. For those who don't care, don't read.

14 Dec 2008 5:15 PM
VP

We all know that Barbaro's brothers won't be Barbaro. Judging by the info this is more of a turf horse.Horse racing needs new fans. Why knock them.

14 Dec 2008 5:29 PM
MVH

Amanda, you are wonderful.  Thank you for all the information you provide!  Rockland posted a 3f work recently in 36:80.  His next work was 4f in the exact same time as Nicanor -- He's already raced and came in 3rd his 1st time out and won his 2nd time out.  So, there is no real rhyme or reason to the works and the ultimate results, apparently.  Mike, get over yourself!  We all want the information and there are more of us than their are of you!

14 Dec 2008 5:31 PM
Tracy

Just remember you don't get a trophy for winning practice.

14 Dec 2008 5:37 PM
Irene

A big thanks for doing this blog...you are opening the window for us re Barbaro's brothers...and their progress. There would be very little news out there if it was not for this blog. I thank you...and for those who are not interested in certain aspects of Nicanor and Lentenor's status...they should just not read the blog. Please keep up the great news tid bits...there are MANY of us out here who love every bit of them!

Thanks again!

14 Dec 2008 6:33 PM
Rodney

Hi Everyone,

I don't think the time of a workout is all that crucial.

It's more about how the horse travels over the surface and how tired he is when he completes the work.

Nicanor is bred for distance so I think the final time isn;t all that crucial.

Thanks!

14 Dec 2008 6:56 PM
Audra

Looks like a very workman-like, strength and stamina-building workout to me.  Just what he needs at this stage.  I would say he is still a few weeks away from a start--looks like Michael is giving Nic plenty of time to show him when HE is ready to go.  And I know Michael and team will pick the best possible place for him to start.  Great to hear the updates--and I'm with everyone else...if you don't want to hear/read them, then don't.

14 Dec 2008 7:33 PM
christy tate

glad to here nicanor's doing so well, i hope he stays healthy and gets to race.

14 Dec 2008 8:48 PM
Cassidy

Go Nicanor!  Thanks for the updates.  Hope all the Scrooges go elsewhere!!!

14 Dec 2008 9:39 PM
Diane in Maine

Wishing Nicanor all the best as I do all horses.  Can we remember, if I remember correctly, Dynaformer get are apt to be late developers. Michael Matz will do the right thing by this colt. Let's not put too great a burden on this colt.  Let's let him be himself.

14 Dec 2008 10:06 PM
ofelia

Well, I check this website all the time to catch some news of Nicanor. Who cares if it takes a couple of races to break his maiden, I would love to hear it all. Barbaro, as many racehorses I follow, was very special and I appreciate the trainers and writers that share Nicanor's and Lentenor's life with us.

Thank You!

14 Dec 2008 11:00 PM
Meghan

Thanks for the update on Nic. Can't wait to see him race whenever that is.

Mike - If you don't like hearing about Nicanor and his works then why are you even reading this? Some of us like hearing about progress. I may not post but I like hearing how he's doing.

15 Dec 2008 1:18 AM
Dona

Thanks Amanda for the update and thank you to Mr Matz for taking the time to give us a little more insight into Nicanors training. Sure is comforting to know Michael thinks he can handle both training surfaces there. I am reminded that the Breeders Cup races will be on artifical surface next fall. Wonder if he will be tried on turf real soon or has he already.        MikeM -  We've had comments like yours before on this blog, so I'd really like to know from you just what is it you expect to find when you are on a site such as this? Tracking Barbaros  brother is exactly what it says, we keep track of everything we find out about him and for the time being it's all about his training to be a race horse. Nicanors connections have been very gracious about sharing his development with this audience. I assure you, this is most unusual and we as a whole are very grateful to be a part of it even if it is from the outside looking in. This blog and the information forth coming is a gift, in the future try to be more cavalier and less ambivalent.

15 Dec 2008 1:36 AM
mdfanofracing

Amanda, Thanks for the comments from MM. Nice to see Nicanor moving forward.

I've always thought that one of the brothers has the potential to be as great a race horse as Barbaro. That potential, of course comes from a great stallion and even more so, a great mare, like La Ville Rouge. Most people seem to think Barabors talent was a one shot deal, that Dynaformer and La Ville Rouge cant duplicate it, or even better it.

It's cetainly not unheard of to have mares produce more then one champion. Case in point, Hasili, Better Then Honor or Shenanigans. My point is there are many mares who have produced more then one outstanding offspring and people seem to think that it cant happen to Barbaros brothers. I say it can, and it probably will.

Those of us who loved Barbaro, and by extension, his family, believe that this can happen and it really irritates me when people make negative comments about Nicanor and Lentanors potential. The Jacksons are smart people. This match was based on years of breeding research. Remember they bred George Washington also. They know what they are doing.

I'm really excited about them breeding Precious Kitten to Street Cry. Ive got a couple cute suggestions for a name.

Best of luck to Nicanor when he races. Hope its on TVG, I'd love to see it.

15 Dec 2008 9:07 AM
Carlene

I check this site daily for any news concerning the family of Barbaro.  Thanks for the updates as I will be a forever fan of this family and appreciate the info this site offers.

15 Dec 2008 12:09 PM
MikeM

Meghan - My first time reading this blog after seeing the headline ad nauseam. Stop the presses! Nicanor works 4f for the 50th time.

15 Dec 2008 1:18 PM
Marigold

The chances that Nicanor (or Lentenor) won't do well are no greater than the chances that they will do well.  So, take the negativity elsewhere, we choose to remain positive and will love these boys no matter what.

15 Dec 2008 1:35 PM
MikeM

Marigold- When you say "do well" do you mean Barbaro "well". The odds are far greater that none of his siblings will become a race horse of Barbaro's calaber.

15 Dec 2008 1:54 PM
brettzky99

What is "Barbaro well"?  In the reference of derby winners?  Since there have been only 7 undefeated, and of those seven, his winning margin was the largest, one can easily make the argument that Barbaro was the most dominant derby winner ever.  As has been discussed, Nicanor cannot be handicapped yet. But if you want "odds", based on his sire alone there is an 18% chance he will either win or place in a stakes level race.  Based on his nick with his dam's bloodline, the odds are better than that--not to mention much of Dynaformer's succes as a stallion has been recent, when compared to all of his crops over 16 years.  There is no reliable statistic, that says he won't be talented because he is the sibling of derby winner--but similar bloodlines, are going for top $$$, even in the depreciating market.

15 Dec 2008 2:46 PM
barb

Like MikeM I am reading this blog for the first time. I have Nicanor and Lentenor in my virtual stable so I know when he works and never looked to see what you folks are talking about. But now that I have I am impressed with all of your love for Barbaro and anything to do with him, and I think it is GREAT that you are all fans of his little brothers. I wonder if you were racing fans before Barbaro? I know that alot of people were drawn into racing by his story. I had alot of people talk to me about him who had never brought up racing before, even though I am a lifelong fan. Strangers would see that I am a fan(Secretariat t-shirt or sweatshirt from Del Mar) and start talking about Barbaro, especially after he died. So I know he had an impact on the general public and I am curious if some of you became fans recently. Keep up the good "work", I think it is awesome that an unraced horse has such a fanbase. When he hits the track you will all be watching and maybe love some of his competition too.

15 Dec 2008 2:49 PM
Marigold

Mike,  They may even do better than Barbaro, because they may race longer and then sire great racehorses.  Who knows?  The lure is the range of possibilities -- we don't care to speculate that they will not live up to their brother's abilities.  Barbaro was undefeated and beautiful and who knows what the future might have held for him, had he not broken down in the Preakness?  No one can be certain of anything, one way or the other.

Just let us love them and hope for them and dream about them.  If you don't agree, go elsewhere.

15 Dec 2008 3:34 PM
Marigold

Barb,  I've been a fan most of my life, beginning with Native Dancer and moving on to Secretariat whom I adored. and Ruffian.  Barbaro and his story and his family, and his beautiful baby brothers have captivated me completely, in part because they are so accessible on the Internat (which wan't around during the Secretaria and Ruffian eras.  I'm now trying to learn as much as I can and have become impressed with how much breeding factors into a great racehorse. And how much the professionals consider it in evaluating a horse's potential.

15 Dec 2008 3:43 PM
diastu

Family note: The 2009 Stallion Register does not have a page for Holy Ground and he's not even mentioned in other Saint Ballado sons' pages. I've emailed Bridlewood to find out what has happened to him. Does anyone else know? He looked like a really nice horse and I thought his bloodlines would make him a popular sire. Hope he is okay!

15 Dec 2008 4:10 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Diastu - I pulled up a report on Holy Ground. He was sent to Argentina earlier this year, so I imagine he is now standing stud there.

15 Dec 2008 4:17 PM
gregory

workout times don't mean very much for a2 yr old , do you all remeber a colt named The Green Monkey who was so fast before auction and then never won a thing after 3 races and was retired because he just wasn't all he was cranked up to be. Oh by the way that blazing workout he had before auction brought a bid of 16 miilion dollars which obviously was a waste of money

15 Dec 2008 4:25 PM
MikeM

Yes Marigold, anything is possible.

Although, I think Bernardini would have one the Preakness regardless of how the race unfolded.

15 Dec 2008 4:37 PM
dbjr8

Good Grief Mike M....What a downer you are.  You have no idea whether or not Barbaro could have beaten Bernardini.  Bernardini ran a great preakness, and had a great 3 year old campaign....but he never had to beat a healthy Barbaro and a healthy Barbaro never had to beat him.  Nobody can say with any certainty what would have happened in that race.

People want to route for Nicanor and Lentanor....Will they be another Barbaro, highly unlikely, but it doesn't mean we can't root for them and hope for the best.

15 Dec 2008 5:54 PM
lobieb

Mike M.....go elsewhere and stay out of our blog.  Like most we are Barbaro fans and to hear about his siblings is great.  I have been a race horse fan for many many years and of all the horses I have watched Alydar was #1 on my list and always will be regardless of the Triple Crown with Afirmed.  You will find that there is one particular horse that is burned into your head and Alydar was MY horse. Barbaro's family is a very close second and it gives you a sense of pride to know that he has siblings that will help keep his memory alive.  For me either can win or lose, it really makes no difference as long as they do the best that they are capable of doing.  First or last or whatever it keeps the memory alive.

15 Dec 2008 7:03 PM
RUFFIANSECRETARIAT

I for one anxiously await Nicanor's debut and appreciate any news about him. No, he is not Barbaro, he is himself but he holds the promise of what can be again.  I want the dream again Mike M. and if believing in this horse gives it to me and others and not you, I am sorry for you. I wept for Ruffian, I cried when Secretariat died, I grieved when we lost Go For Wand and Barbaro. I want a hero to believe in again and his name is Nicanor. I believe in fate. Same owners, trainer, jock, and Edwards uncle named Nicanor. Believe. Let the dream live again.

15 Dec 2008 7:57 PM
MJ

Mike M,

You are crazy to think Bernardini would have taken Barabro.  Did you see how hard Barbaro fought for his life all those months?  That horse was a fighter.

15 Dec 2008 8:52 PM
Dona

Marigold - As i've said before Native Dancer was the one that instilled my lifelong love of the thoroughbred racehorse. Nice to see I'm not alone. It was thru his line that I found a 2yr old named Barbaro and rekindled my waning interest in the racing industry. I'm so glad I did, even with the heart breaking loss of Barbaro I'm grateful to be interested and interacting with fans of him and his family. I for one believe Nicanor and Lentenor will do him proud. Oh, and Mike, Barbaro was so stoked on Preakness day, nothing but bad racing luck was going to beat him. Certainly not Bernadini.   To Barb - I just came back from Hollywood Park and I can't tell you how many fans were waiting for Edgar Prado with signs that said "FOB'S", which if anyone doesn't know, stands for Friends of Barbaro. New fans or previous fans, all I know is they are devoted fans now.

15 Dec 2008 9:07 PM
Marigold

Perhaps, and perhaps not.  We'll never know now. By the way MikeM -- who are you really?

15 Dec 2008 9:18 PM
Kayte

MikeM- if you aren't a fan of Barbaro then why do you feel the need to harass people that are fans of him??? There are many other blogs and if this one isn't for you, move onto one of those ones please? Or do us favour and stop altogether and let enjoy our reading without your negativity.

Also, learn to use your grammar properly- it's 'won', not 'one' that you were looking to use.  Slightly annoying when you act like a know-it-all and can't even use the proper spelling of a simple word.

Thanks Amanda, I like your updates.  Keep them coming!!! :)

16 Dec 2008 2:53 AM
SusanW

To Barb,

You asked if most people here just got into racing because of Barbaro.

My answer, for myself anyway, is not by a long shot.

I was the youngest member of a racing fanclub back in the sixties. As a child I had the gift of following the greatest horses to set foot on a track, Dr. Fager, Damascus, Buckpasser, Sham, the incomparable Secretariat (I could go on year after year, but you get my meaning).

I worked at the track and saw great ones there and worked with great people.

Barbaro will be forever ranked with my memories of the greats. Why, you ask? Because he had something that those that have followed racing can spot a mile away. He had the ability, yes, but he had the heart and the greatness and the knowledge that he had it, to go with it. He had a self awareness and a presence that set him above the rest.

Maybe Lentenor and Nicanor won't be Barbaro...and I hope that legacy isn't pinned on them, we just love them anyway and always will....So, Mike, lots of us do care if Nicanor works four, if you don't, you know where to go..another site would work.

16 Dec 2008 8:10 AM
SusanW

Ps.

The Green Monkey's high price was the result of an idiotic bidding war between two factions famous for it. I believe one of the guilty parties is now buying up great two year olds in hopes of getting his first derby win. Ever wonder where Vineyard Haven is?

Don't blame the Monkey, blame the fools with too much money.

16 Dec 2008 8:19 AM
Emily

It's great to hear updates about Nicanor, whether or not he ends up being as good as Barbaro. Michael is a tremendous trainer and a true horse-lover, as is Peter and the Jacksons. Horseracing needs more people like the ones that are involved with Nicanor.

16 Dec 2008 10:59 AM
MikeM

Kayte or is it Kate? Obviously an error but thanks for pointing that out. It's not harassment. I'm just trying to help you and others on this blog start a meaningful debate. By the way, I heard Nicanor left some feed this morning.

16 Dec 2008 11:19 AM
DavidA

I was very fortunate to see Nicanor at Fairhill; he is a very handsome horse indeed.  Will he be the great racehorse that Barbaro was?  Chances are that the answer is no, but let us just wait and see..... All horses are very special animals that deserve respect and love at all times. God speed Nicanor.

16 Dec 2008 11:42 AM
diastu

Regarding Holy Ground: Bridlewood graciously answered my email with a prompt answer. He is in fact healthy and was relocated to Argentina. Bridlewood said to contact the Jacksons for more information, so can we assume they are still his owners and will follow his career in the Southern Hemisphere as closely as they do their other "kids"? He did cover about 25 mares last year, so it will be interesting to see how they run when they grow up.

16 Dec 2008 12:06 PM
Julie

I can't believe someone would be so ignorant to log on just to write down some negative comments about a beautiful horse- Please tell me you have something better to do- none of us can tell the future, he may or may not have the potential of Barbaro and god bless him if he does and if not, he deserves just enough respect and love- If you were any kind of horseperson at all you would know that there is every horse is special and there is no place for your negativity.

16 Dec 2008 12:07 PM
MJ

Amanda,

Thanks for the comments from Michael.  Sounds like Nicanor is doing well.  That is all that matters to me.

I also appreciate the news on Holy Ground.  I was wondering where he had gone.

16 Dec 2008 12:18 PM
Marigold

I'm sorry, I'm new to a lot of this -- what did that comment "left some feed this morning" mean?  Can someone explain?

16 Dec 2008 12:18 PM
brettzky99

I can't ever get enough of The Green Monkey.  Pletcher had 20k claimers that were crushing him in workouts.  Ferguson won't let the Sheik go that high again to raise the Smith et al., anyway.  He is paying major bucks for those Dynaformers though.  I would love to see what Barbaro's yearling brother with the Dynaformer physique and Carson City detail, would have gone for at auction.  That is an unbelievable looking yearling--not for sale though, too bad..

16 Dec 2008 1:05 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Marigold - It is usually considered a bad thing if a horse doesn't eat all of his feed....a sign that something is off, much like if a person doesn't want their food. However, in this case, I am sure Mike was just making a joke.

16 Dec 2008 1:11 PM
Kathy

I believe all horses have different personalities. Some are agressive, some are wallflowers, some are very outgoing. The Green Monkey may have had an aversion to either noise and large crowds or may have been intimidated by other horses. I am not sure how anyone can tell if a horse is any good at racing by only three races.

Nicanor has attitude, love being around people and other horses, is muscular to a fault, likes training with Michael Matz and enjoys being ridden. And he is being trained by a team of the best. The great thoroughbreds of the past enjoyed the competiveness of the race. I still say Nicanor will do great next year.

16 Dec 2008 1:30 PM
barb

Thanks for the responses. It looks like everyone who has answered my query so far is a longtime fan. That is good, but I was hoping for some new fans too. Barbaro was definently a special horse who captured the hearts of so many, myself included. I "found" him late in his two year old days. I saw his name in the program and liked it since my name is Barbara, turned out to be a good pick.  Native Dancer is one of my all time faves also, though he raced well before my time(I just turned 39). I love him. I had to laugh a little at Dona's comment...it's a big job following his descendants considering that around 80% of racehorses carry his blood. That is actually how I got interested in him, just about every horse I ever liked had ND in their pedigree.

I have only been visiting the blogs for a couple of months and I really enjoy it. It is very nice to have people who share my passion to interact with. None of my friends are fans and at the track I meet more handicappers than fans. Not that I get to the track often, where I live we do have live racing but it is only Sun-Tues, and it is during the wet, cold months(now).  I take an annual trip to Del Mar. And I am really hoping to go to KY in 2009, maybe during Keeneland and go see the Derby museum and the KY horse Park and visit a few farms. Anyway...Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

16 Dec 2008 4:45 PM
MikeM

Barbaro was a great horse and I felt very badly on that tragic day. Race horses like him are once in a lifetime. I own and breed race horses (on a small scale) so I know first hand the highs and the lows. What I said about this blog subject has nothing to do with

my respect and admiration for Barbaro and his connections. I apologize if I offended anyone.

16 Dec 2008 6:14 PM
Marigold

Brettzky, were you referring to Lentenor??  Was he the unbelievable looking yearling?

16 Dec 2008 7:18 PM
Marigold

I believe Barbaro gave us his heart.  I believe Nicanor will, too.  As for the "unbelievable looking"  Lentenor.  that young horse has an "You ain't seen nothing yet!" look about him.  He gives me goosebumps and I can hardly wait to see how this all unfolds.  THen there is a third baby on the way.  Brettsky, did you see Lentenor's video as a newborn foal? He was so happy to be here!

16 Dec 2008 11:29 PM
sandieh

may we have some pictures of the boys and mom,dad for christmas? please? it is a real joy to see them whenever we can. they have really brought me back to being close again with horses. thanks!!

17 Dec 2008 11:29 AM
brettzky99

Yes, was referring to Lentenor.  I got a chance to review the confirmations of the Keeneland and Saratoga auctions, and I haven't seen much, if anything comparable to him.  I actually cannot ever remember a Dynaformer with that type of market appeal.  Usually the challenge with the Roberto line progeny is that they are so plain.  He has so much detail, and so much size (kind of like Zenyatta-who has Roberto bloodstock thru Kris S.)that I thought it was just ironic that he wasn't for sale, in a year when Dynaformers that were seemingly much more compromised confirmations held up pretty well, despite the depressed auction aggregates overall.

17 Dec 2008 11:45 AM
DONNA

MARIGOLD, I beleive MIKEM is someone who is merely trying to bring attention to himself by always stating negative commemts so people will return feed back to him. He is not one of us who truely cares about Nicanor and Lentenor. He just likes to stir the pot.

17 Dec 2008 11:53 AM
DONNA

Speaking of The Green Monkey, does anyone know who his dam aand sire were so as to warrent such a high bidding for him? Also does any one know for sure why he was a flop? Pletcher never would acknowledge much about him when he was in training.

17 Dec 2008 12:08 PM
BluegrassJen

Pletcher didn't say much because there wasn't anything to acknowledge.  The Monkey was a plug, plain and simple.  A friend who works in his barn said the horse couldn't outrun a fat man up a hill, and Pletcher was glad to be rid of him.  He was sensationalized because two egos got into a bidding war, nothing more.

17 Dec 2008 1:31 PM
brettzky99

Think monkey is 2x Storm Cat on the sire and 2x Unbridled Song on dam--not for sure though.  Like stated before--it was alleged that his breezing was a major play in the ludicrous bidding.

17 Dec 2008 2:33 PM
Marigold

Brettzky, I believe Mrs. J has a very special affinity for Lentenor.  There are articles documenting her encounters with him as a baby, where he stood still and let her feel his conformation and then he turned and nickered at her.  Something very special about that youngster.

Neither brother will ever be for sale, I'd bet.  A connection to their big brother in her heart.

And ours, as well.

17 Dec 2008 2:44 PM
Barbara

I think that the FOB's are giving this MIKE just what he wants, he wants to demean our love for Nicanor and Lenatnor and he wants to SHOCK us with his insensitivity. I think if we all ignore his remarks he won't have so much fun. This is what keeps him going.

17 Dec 2008 2:56 PM
MJ

Mike,

Thanks for the apology.  What most people don't understand is that we will love and follow Barbaro's siblings no matter what.

Andrea,

Any new pics on Nicanor would be the best X-mas gift.  I know you can only do so much.  We so appreciate this blog.

17 Dec 2008 4:02 PM
Willie Spiedup

27th out of the 30. I love that he goes slow in the am. He must be saving it all for the races!

19 Dec 2008 4:35 PM
Marigold

www.justnews.com/.../index.htmlNerry

Merry Christmas, everyone!

20 Dec 2008 1:13 PM
foxyny

those workouts on paper look horrible, going by these he would be hard pressed to win a maiden  15k claimer,

The only hope for him is that he moves way up on the turf, as some dynaformers do.

20 Dec 2008 1:50 PM
myykkyy

Mike.

I believe that you should go elsewhere to blog. Here we love Barbaro's Brothers, no matter how they run!!!

26 Dec 2008 10:06 PM
Miranda

Nicanor is sounding like a great rachorse and who knows he may be better than Barbaro but Nicanor has to show he is a brother to Barbaro and he needs to have a great speed and he needs the potential to never give up just like Barbaro.

01 Jan 2009 9:44 PM