Prado to Ride Nicanor in His Upcoming Debut

As his racing debut nears, Nicanor continues to work steadily at Palm Meadows Training Center. He completed a five furlong work handily in 1:01.2 over the dirt track Jan. 25, which ranked eighth out of 38 works at that distance.

“He’s working well, and he had a very nice work this morning,” said trainer Michael Matz.

Barring something unexpected, Nicanor will make his racing debut either the weekend of Jan. 31 or Feb. 7 at Gulfstream Park. Additionally, jockey Edgar Prado will be aboard. Prado rode Nicanor’s famed full brother Barbaro to victory in the 2006 Run for the Roses.

“Edgar is going to ride him. He’s probably going to run in a week or two,” said Matz. “He’s getting there, getting close.”

The 3-year-old Dynaformer colt has shown the ability to run on dirt, turf, and synthetic surfaces during his workouts, which leaves his connections with several options.

“There is a dirt race next weekend, and there is a turf race the following weekend,” said Matz. “He will go in one of the two races. We have to see how he comes out of his work, and see what we want to do--run him on the dirt or run him on the turf for his first start.”

MJ

Thanks for the comments from Michael.  He is getting faster and we are getting excited.  Personally I would like to see him on turf, but I totally trust Michael.

Did everyone see the article on Nicanor in the Delaware paper?

25 Jan 2009 12:20 PM
MHCA

I hope they run him on the turf as they did Barbaro his first time out.

We've waited this long, we can wait 1 more week.  We want him safe and happy as well as successful.  We all love him as if he were ours.

25 Jan 2009 12:24 PM
Kath from SC

This is so exciting. Praying that all have a safe day racing. Sending a special prayer to St. Francis to watch over Nic

25 Jan 2009 12:28 PM
Susan Eckard

Nicanor shows the same talent as Barbaro.I'm very eager to his debut and possibly a chance at the Triple Crown. Good Luck Nicanor.

25 Jan 2009 12:32 PM
smartysgal

This is really getting exciting.  With Edgar Prado aboard, I'm sure there will be memories flowing the day Nicanor steps into the starting gate.  It will be an emotional day for all his connections.  I wish him God speed and a safe trip.  No matter where he finishes, he will always finish first in our hearts.

25 Jan 2009 12:34 PM
Luvthehorses

We wish for the best for him.

Pray that he's safe.

25 Jan 2009 12:35 PM
Alex

That's so cool hope you do verry Nicanor. My family will be routing for you.

25 Jan 2009 12:35 PM
RacingFan2006

Oh Yeah!  Here we go.  This is what everybody has been waiting for. it seems that the fates do have a plan for this racing year, and its the team of Edgar Prado and Nicanor.

25 Jan 2009 12:37 PM
RhondaH

So excited to hear about Nic's first race.  And even more to hear that Edgar will get to ride Barbaro's little brother.

OH could I be so lucky to have the race on a Sunday?  I will be there to cheer him on toa victory. If it is Saturday, I will be there in heart, but if it is a Sunday, I will be there in person. Whoohoo!

25 Jan 2009 12:38 PM
smarie

I think it is just wonderful that Edgar Prado will be riding Nicanor inhis debut race. I would imagine that donning the Jackson's racing silks will bring back some memories for Mr. Prado. I wish both him and Nicanor Godspeed every time each steps onto a racetrack.

25 Jan 2009 12:55 PM
kittensjoy

Can't wait for Nicanors debut. Although I'd prefer to see him race on turf as Barbaro did, in fact, I'd prefer to have seen him follow Barbaro in his Kentucky Derby path comppletely, but this late in the game if there is to be any chance of him running in the Derby, it would probably be smartest to run him in a dirt race.

25 Jan 2009 1:13 PM
Janesville Liz

I for one would be very disappointed if Nicanor's connections all of a sudden started to push this horse to make the Triple Crown. They have shown extraordinary patience with him. I think he has all the right tools to make a nice stakes winner--if he is properly handled. I hope they let him progress at his own rate and not get greedy and want to make him do too much too soon. There are other races besides the Derby. There is always the Travers in late summer. He could follow Bernardini's path to a championship of it is meant to be--skip the  Derby, run in the Withers, and possibly the Preakness, if he is ready, physucally and mentally. Remember, Bernardini was an unraced colt at the beginning of his three-year-old season, as was Curlin. But they were handled patiently and allowed to progress at the pace of what they were ready to do at any given time. Too many horses have been ruined by rushing them to get in the Derby.

25 Jan 2009 1:32 PM
David

Do you know if Nicanor worked in company with Rockland this morning?  I see they both worked 5 furlongs at Palm Meadows and I remember they were work partners as 2 year-olds last year.

25 Jan 2009 1:46 PM
lobieb

With the attachment Edgar had with Barbaro I was almost certain that he would opt to ride Nick and thank god for that. Maybe it helps in knowing that he has a brother that will be able to keep his memory in tact.  Safe trip Nick and Edgar and even if this first race is not a good one you will still be #1 in my heart.  God speed and safety to both of you.

25 Jan 2009 1:52 PM
Jennifer, CVT

Lets not forget about Lentenor. Its seems he is developing faster than his older brothers.  Wouldn't it be great to see them race against each other, Nicanor as a 4 year old and Lentenor as a 3 year old????

25 Jan 2009 2:23 PM
Karen in Texas

That Edgar will be riding in Nicanor's first race is both exciting and interesting. He did not become Barbaro's rider until the third or fourth start. Many, many fans are awaiting this debut. Good luck to the entire Team Nicanor!

25 Jan 2009 2:28 PM
Carole Rowe

The entire "team" is NUMBER ONE -- God Bless "Nic", Mr. Prado, Mr. Matz and Mr. and Mrs. Jackson... and Barbaro's other guardian, Mr. Peter B... My prayers and wishes are with ALL!

25 Jan 2009 2:32 PM
Jennifer

All the best to Nic and Edgar! What a team! This is great, but, like everyone else, we want the horse and rider safe and well! not.

25 Jan 2009 2:39 PM
christy tate

with prado riding him, nicanor should do really well. excited to think about the debut.goodluck to everybody.

25 Jan 2009 2:43 PM
Barbaro Fan

How I wish all the very best in Nicanor's debut.  I remmeber Barbaro virtually every day and donate in his name to the Laminitis Fund in his honor at U Penn.  Safe ride, Edgar!  We're rooting for you!  And very best wishes to Michael M!

25 Jan 2009 2:45 PM
MHCA

Nicanor's team are all so wonderful.  I pray that they remain pleased with him and he remains safe, healthy and sound.  Sounds like all the ingredients are there:  Breeding, interest, strength, competitiveness, and the best team in horse racing!  However it turns out, Nicanor will do fine and we'll all be proud.  It will be so exciting!

25 Jan 2009 2:46 PM
k.w.j............n.c.

good things are going smooth nic will do what his heart tells him to do as edgar will.There are good days ahead glad to read all of you fans of all our horses keep on with a little luck the boys nic and len will be great....!!!!!!!

25 Jan 2009 2:52 PM
Grey K

For those who haven't read Prado's book about Barbaro, Edgar writes that a favorite uncle was named Nicanor, and when he heard what the colt was named, he knew he was going to ride him.  And now it will happen.  I am happy about that.  Don't look for them in the Derby unless they are preceded by a flock of flying pigs, but it will be a very good day when Edgar puts on the Lael silks and pilots his dear friend's brother safe home.  I'll be crying.

25 Jan 2009 3:38 PM
jumanji

who cares? all this hooplah over an unraced maiden. what a joke.

25 Jan 2009 3:59 PM
Emily

wow this is so exciting! i hope the day of his race will be posted i dont want to miss it!

25 Jan 2009 4:07 PM
Majella from Ireland

I'm so happy! Edgar Prado is amazing, he rode Landseer for my hero Aidan O' Brien in the 2002 BC Mile and obviously that had a very sad outcome but hes an amazing jockey and seems a really nice person too. Go Nicanor and Edgar!

25 Jan 2009 4:07 PM
Audra

Looking forward to his first start and love that Edgar will be in the irons.  I know Nic's connections will ONLY do what is right for the horse and if that means no Derby, then so be it--I have no concerns there.  Also, I'm excited for Lentenor and while he seems more mature right now--remember that Nic and Barbaro went through a growth spurt and needed some extra time to grow--so it's great to be excited but know that the connections will also do right by him as they do with ALL their horses.  Go NIC!!

25 Jan 2009 4:09 PM
Chris B

Way to Nicanor. I know Barbaro will be looking over his little brother especially if he runs next weekend. While I would love to see him win, I just hope and pray he runs and returns home safe. My heart is truly with all his connections, the Jacksons, Michael and Peter and of course Edgar. Have a safe trip big boy!!!

25 Jan 2009 4:45 PM
John T.

It is good to see that Nicanor is

almost ready for his first race.It will be hard for him to fill the shoes of his famous brother Barbaro

but even if he does,nt may he live a good sound life.

25 Jan 2009 4:55 PM
Abbie Knowles

Great news that Edgar Prado is to ride Nicanor, but i endorse Janesville Liz's comments and hope they do not push him too hard to get him to the Kentucky Derby, but continue to display great patience with Nicanor and do what is the best for him in the long run.

Wherever and whenever he runs I pray he comes back, safe, sound and happy and wish him and Edgar Prado godspeed!!!!

God Bless

Best wishes

Abbie

25 Jan 2009 5:25 PM
Shuvani

Yaaaay! To hear that Edgar will be riding Nicanor put a smile on my face and made my day. How lovely.

However Nic runs, having Prado on his back makes the story come full circle for me.

And kudos to the Jacksons and Matz for being the consummate, professional racing people that they are.

They've all got heart, too.

25 Jan 2009 5:27 PM
Lady Ruffian

dirt or turf, doesnt matter, Nicanor has his big brother as his angel and Edgar Prado to guide him on the track... plus all of us rooting for him. Let's pray that our boy and his rider both have a safe trip.

25 Jan 2009 5:42 PM
MJ

Janesville Liz,

The Jacksons were quoted this weekend saying they are taking each race one at a time and do not consider Nicanor to be anyone other than himself.  There is no way they will rush this horse.

25 Jan 2009 5:45 PM
bowlofflowers

Not that I want to add any more baggage to the little racing saddle and Edgar Prado, but I am excited that 'Nic' is ready to try competion.  If I know in advance I will record the race.  Thank you for all of the updates.

25 Jan 2009 6:13 PM
Cassidy

Thank you for the update. Go team Nicanor!

25 Jan 2009 6:34 PM
Cassidy

here is the deleware article

delawareonline.com/.../SPORTS

25 Jan 2009 6:43 PM
Meghan

This is exciting!!

Can't wait to see Nic's race.

25 Jan 2009 6:44 PM
russell maiers

Hes got the best fans ever. How ever he does, you guys will stand beside him. Good luck to you all.

25 Jan 2009 7:39 PM
Kristen

Yay! I can't wait to see that race! Barbaro's brother and Edgar Prado. I couldn't see a better person you could get to ride him! Good luck Nicanor! I'll be here screaming for you as you enter that race :)

25 Jan 2009 7:50 PM
ace hare

When he makes his first start, please do not forget to attend your nearest simulcast facility and wager as much as you possibly can on him. Thank you.

25 Jan 2009 9:16 PM
SusieQme

How exciting this is becoming! Prayers going out for a safe trip for Nicanor.

25 Jan 2009 9:19 PM
For Big Red

Barbaro Fan: I'm glad to see you contribute to the Laminitis Fund. The horse I will hold most dear forever, the immortal Secretariat, had to be euthanized at the comparatively young age of 19 due to laminitis. It is one of the most cruel equine diseases, so I encourage all horse lovers who can afford it to donate whatever you can to help combat laminitis. Penny Chenery, Secretariat's owner, started the fund at New Bolton in 1989 after Red's death.

Love you always, Red. Always.

25 Jan 2009 10:30 PM
Marigold

Amands,

Will the blog continue after Nicanor begins racing?  Will we be able to continue to post our feelings and opinions after Nicanor has begun his career?

26 Jan 2009 12:15 AM
CLee

I'll add my "good luck and great success" for Nicanor, Edgar Prado, and Michael Matz!  I'm an avid fan and always interested in what is going on with "the team."  I'm just very excited for them and keeping my fingers crossed.

26 Jan 2009 12:25 AM
F. Weldon

I'm so happy that Edgar will be up! I so badly want Edgar's dream to come true. (Read Edgar's book, "My Guy Barbaro.") More than anything, though, I want Nicanor and Edgar to stay safe. May God bless them both!

26 Jan 2009 2:51 AM
MDFANOFRACING

Amanda, Thanks for answering my question on Prado. I figured He would get the ride on Nicky. I know the Jacksons trust him with their babies. I would love to know what Edgar thinks of Nicanor. His book on Barbaro was wonderful. I dont care if he runs on dirt or turf, all i care about is he runs safely. If anyone can get Nicanor home in front, it's Edgar Prado.

26 Jan 2009 5:25 AM
Greg J.

Wow, Finally the day is near for Nicanor !, What great news that Edgar will be on Nicanor !, Rockland and Nicanor did work in same work out, Rockland was third, while Nic was eighth, I see great things ahead for these TWO, Smarty and Barbaro Will be proud !, I would prefer dirt this weekend, but it really does not matter, Whatever his connections choose will be the best for Nicanor, Godspeed Nicanor.....

26 Jan 2009 9:32 AM
sandieh

I know Nicky will do well on his own, I feel like a nervous god-parent. Very anxious to see him go out on his own and take all our love with him!!

26 Jan 2009 10:17 AM
DONNA

Thanks for the link to that article Cassidy. All of those who fear that Matz and the Jackson will push Nicanor should read it. I firmlt beleive that his trainer and owners would never push their horses before they were ready. So glad to hear Nic will be racing this weekend or next. Kind of hope it will be next weekend, too much football hoopla this coming weekend. Best to Nicanor and his connections. Show all the naysayers and unbeleivers you can do it boy.

26 Jan 2009 10:26 AM
Tracy

Edgar will be along for the ride,as we should not underestimate Nicanor,he will run when asked and will win.Edgar just happens to be a jockey who relates well and truly cares about what is best for the horses he rides.

26 Jan 2009 11:18 AM
Mister_Horsey

Just remember--Henry Aaron had a brother named Tommy and they both played in the Major leagues of baseball with varying degrees of accomplishment.

Best of luck to all involved with Nicanor (and everyone involved with EVERY horse on the racetrack), and let's hope for a storybook ending.

26 Jan 2009 11:44 AM
The Rock

Well, I think Prado is going to have a conflict of interest after the way Dunkirk broke his maiden this weekend. This is the prime example of a horse that can be considered for a Triple Crown run after debuting in his 3 year old year. Nicanor will have to be just as impressive

26 Jan 2009 12:23 PM
Kbuckeye

Looking forward to Nicanor's first race will take some of the pain out of the anniversary of Barbaro's passing. Hope lives......I have total faith in Nicanor's connections. They are all truly class acts.

Stay safe and happy, Nicky!

Kathy

26 Jan 2009 12:27 PM
Abbie Knowles

I agree with Mister_Horsey that we should be concerned for everyone involved with EVERY horse on the racetrack.  For me every horse is important and I hate to see them getting injured or killed.

Also agree about the importance of the laminitis fund not only because of Secretariat (although obviously because of him too) but because one of my all time joint second favourite stallions, The Minstrel (Nijinsky II's 3/4 brother who won the Epsom,and Irish Derbies and The King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Stakes in 1977.) also died of this cruel disease aged only 16.  He was a great little stallion, full of character and the sire of many winners.  He is probably most famous as the sire of Cigar's Dad Palace Music!  I saw a programme on TV that featured him and he tried to lick the camera at one point which was not good for the cameraman's nerves! I read as much as i could about him too and cheered him home in all his victories!  I will never forget him or any of my equine friends!

I love all horses, ponys, donkeys, dogs, cats ... well all animals actually and seldom have a long term problem with them.  People???Well that is another matter!  They can be much more difficult to get along with!!!  Mostly i get on with people but there are some i fail completely to I am afraid!  People who are cruel, or bullies or exploiters to name but a few for instance!!!!!

God Bless

Best Wishes

Abbie

26 Jan 2009 1:02 PM
For Big Red

Abbie,

I remember The Minstrel, a fine racehorse and good sire. Laminitis is cruel not only for the pain it causes the horses, but because it often takes the lives of otherwise healthy animals. Imagine healthy human beings having to die from inflamed feet! That's the bottom line of what we're talking about with laminitis. Contributing to the search for a way eradicate that disease would be one of the best things we could do for our horses.

26 Jan 2009 1:28 PM
da3hoss

Abby, nice post. I think that Nicanor and lentenor will help keep the flame alive to stay on top of laminitis...not only for big brother barbaro's sake, but for all equines big and small who are vivtims of this agonizing ailment.

Along with Secretariat & The Minstrel, sweet Foolish Pleasure met an agonizing end from complications of laminitis...he had so many pain killers it ate through his stomach lining which ruptured as he colicked..

Sunday Silence died from a heart attack caused by infection from laminitis complications.

Also Bayokoa, only 13.

Easy Jet, the great Quarter Horse stallion, also died of laminitis.

26 Jan 2009 1:29 PM
Ted L.

It's getting close folks!

Checking the upcoming races at Gulfstream Park this weekend, there are only two races (that I see) that "Nic" could be entered in, and both are on Saturday, January 31.

The second race is a $40,000 maiden special weight (122 lbs)race at 5 furlongs on the turf.

The third race is a $40,000 maiden special weight (122 lbs) also,  but is at one mile on the dirt.

I don't see any races that would fit "Nic" on February 7 but there is one on Sunday, February 8. A $40,000 maiden special weight (122 lbs.) at 1 1/8 miles on the turf.

I think this race may be a bit long for him as a first-time starter.

Following Nicanor's workouts, he has not worked more than five or six furlongs.  I'm not sure what Mr. Matz has instore for "Nicky Boy"!

Brother Barbaro never started a race that was less than one mile.

Should be interesting!  Good luck to everyone involved with the Lael Farms team!

26 Jan 2009 1:43 PM
Marigold

Mr Horsey, the difference is breeding and pedigree.  These horses are bred for talent and ability, for humans, it's more random.

Amanda, will this blog continue?

26 Jan 2009 1:48 PM
LDP

Ted L,

Why would they want to put nic in a claiming race, unless it's an optional, where he can be claimed by someone else?

26 Jan 2009 2:40 PM
Marigold

There is a new Associated Press report about Nicanor's debut which states that Edgar was aboard Nicanor 2 weeks ago for a workout.  That is VERY interesting and perhaps it accounts for Michael's new, barely restrained excitement about Nic's debut.  It is getting more and more exciting.

Could the blog continue for Lentenor, please?  I believe we are all going to have a lot to say after Nicanor begins racing and Lentenor comes into traininng with Michael.

26 Jan 2009 2:47 PM
Ted L.

LDP,

I don't think the Jackson's would put "Nic" or any of their other horses in a claiming race.  They treat their horses like pets and the bond grows between human and animal.  The Jackson's love their horses and I think it would be very difficult for them to see one of their own taken away from them.

If a trainer or owner really thinks they might have something "special", they will most likely enter them in a maiden special weight race instead of a maiden claimer, reason being they don't want to lose the horse!

Secondly, maiden special weight races are usually much tougher to win, and if you do, it spring boards you to bigger and better things.

Many times you will see a horse that can't win a maiden special weight race, drop in to a maiden claiming race and win.  That's because the competition is much tougher in a "MSW" race.

Hope this helps!

26 Jan 2009 3:10 PM
Tara

I am THRILLED to see Nicanor Race!!! It is exciting to see that Edgar Prado will be riding him like he had Barbaro! I can't wait and will deffinatly be watching his debut!

26 Jan 2009 3:25 PM
Citation-Secretariat-Barbaro LOVER

I'm one of those people who gets nervous as a cat before a horse race, particularly the big ones. Before the Triple Crown races, I'm practically dysfunctional. My fervent prayer always is that each and every horse finishes the race safely. So now, looking at Nicanor's debut....I am feeling so many butterflies in my stomach. I will certainly be praying for him!!! God speed to all these marvelous creatures!!!

26 Jan 2009 3:36 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Marigold - Yep, the blog will continue past his first race.

26 Jan 2009 3:48 PM
Marigold

Thanks, Amanda.  You've done an outstanding job keeping us all informed.  Looking forward to more information on Lentenor, too!

26 Jan 2009 4:10 PM
ljk

GP Options are:

1/31 at 6f OR 8f on the dirt

2/8 at 9f on the turf

I thought I read somewhere Matz said he'd prefer a 7f race..

I wholeheartedly endorse ACE HARE's comment.

26 Jan 2009 4:47 PM
Laura

It is very exciting to think that Edgar Prado will be onboard Nicanor in his firt race.  To think that Nicanor's first race might be this weekend or the week after this one.  There is just so much excitement for his first race that I just can't wait anymore.  I hope Edgar Prado the best of luck when he and Nicanor get out of the starting gate for their first race together.  I can just imagine Michael Matz saddleling Nicanor for his first race.  Also how Nicanor getting really excited for his first race.  Also can see Edgar wearing Lael's silks again like he did when he was onboard Barbaro.  Then they are off to the track.  This is just too much excitement and can't wait.  Thanks Amanda for the update.

26 Jan 2009 5:23 PM
Abbie Knowles

Such  a shame all those wondeful horses died of laminitis!  Great that due to Barbaro and Secretariat and doubtless others that funds have been set up to help prevent further deaths!   It is wonderful to hear about Nicanor and Lentenor so good news that the blog will continue.  Thanks Amanda.   Great that they have such loving connections too and horses do know if they are loved and respond well!

26 Jan 2009 5:25 PM
brettzky99

Once in a while there are some good discussions with opposing points of view, like in the last Lentenor blog.  However, wager as much as you can on Nicanor?  If you really think that poeple on this blog could drive up a weekend till @ Gulfstream during the winter meet, you probably shouldn't be betting on anything yourself.  The owner is a Rockefeller, you would have a better chance of shortening the odds by emailing him and asking him to have his family play the horse, and throw him in some exotics.

26 Jan 2009 6:02 PM
Jennifer404

My friends and I are wishing Nicanor and Edgar Prado the very best. We wish them a safe ride and will appreciate their efforts and hard work, regardless of whether they win or lose.

26 Jan 2009 6:11 PM
Springsmom83

Michael said that he would be looking for 7f or a mile on either the dirt or the turf, it just depended on what was available that would fit.  Looks like 1/31 may be IT.

As far as laminitis goes, remember that Toussad also contracted laminitis after foaling Chester House.  It is a cruel, cruel disease that shows no mercy for whom it attacks.

Best of racing luck to Edgar Prado and Nicanor when they actually start!

26 Jan 2009 6:18 PM
2 time valley player of the year

Seems Matz is  looking for a soft spot for his first race, I guess he  wants to see what horses fill for the dirt race then decide. Sounds like the Green Monkey all over again I predict a failure and don't be surprised if he comes up with some phantom injury or fever and they put off racing him. There was only 1 Barbaro and to expect this horse to meet or exceed his brother isn't fair.Hey  Matz put him in a race with some quality horses not stiffs.Imagine is verything but eventually reality takes over.

26 Jan 2009 6:22 PM
MJ

Edgar has already ridden him.

I don't care how he does, just so he is safe.  It is just so exciting to follow this horse and Lentenor.  All of the negative people should just be happy anyone is interested in horse racing.  Seems the sport could use some new blood.

26 Jan 2009 6:25 PM
nostalgichorse

I am tired of hearing about him. He may never win a race just like many siblings of great horses. Even if he becomes the greatest horse who ever lived, his success will not bring back Barbaro. Enough about him already!

26 Jan 2009 9:54 PM
Marigold

Ace Hare....oh come on!

26 Jan 2009 10:02 PM
KAM

How is Go Smarty Go?  I have not been able to find any information on him since September.  Just wondering if he will ever race again or if he has been retired.

26 Jan 2009 10:42 PM
Horsesalluv

Nicanor is in good hands with Edgar Prado.  All the best to a brother of the great Barbaro.  I saw him run and will always remember him. Now may his brother be accepted for what he can do on his own.  It is Nicanor's time.

27 Jan 2009 12:09 AM
Deb G.

Had the absolute privilege of spending a day with Nicanor at Fair Hills on behalf of Jim, Michael Matz and the wonderful Grae too.  Nicanor was very playful and, well, young in May of 2008.  He has certainly grown into a wonderful horse.  I have the honor of having one of Nicanor's first shoes, given to me that day, which I have proudly on my fireplace mantel and will most defintely be holding it for his first race!  God Bless Nic, Edgar, the Jacksons, Michael Matz and everyone involved in Nic's care and training....Wishing you all the best of luck on his first raceday!

27 Jan 2009 12:44 AM
Meghan
27 Jan 2009 1:45 AM
Ted L.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of running style Nicanor has.  Will it be "front-running" speed where he wants to be in front the whole way?  Will he be the "closer" type that likes to lay in the back of the pack and come charging down the stretch?  Or will he be like brother Barbaro, where he will lay close to the lead and "stalk" the front-runners until Edgar says it's time to go!

27 Jan 2009 8:27 AM
Kathy

Thank you Amanda for your continued up to the minute coverage of the Barbaro brothers. I personally believe that Nicanor will rock the racing world as I've said all along. And may his success open the eyes of everyone to the problems all breeds of horses have, be it sickness, neglect or slaughter. Nicanor is one lucky horse. May his journey into the race world be a safe and pleasant one. Good Luck, good luck, good luck.

27 Jan 2009 8:56 AM
Greg J.

Thanks to all the experts on this Blog for there insight, With that said, I am going to say at this time tomorrow, We will all get the news that Nicanor's first race will be this Saturday, It will be the 8F MSW race on dirt, in which Edgar and Nic will prove the few  naysayers wrong and win by at least 5 lengths!, Which will be just the beginning for Nicanor...

27 Jan 2009 9:48 AM
Greg J.

One more thing, Here is a link to new article on Nicanor, also another great picture!,Here you go:  nbcsports.msnbc.com/.../28857589

27 Jan 2009 10:19 AM
Matt H

I think edger pardo will be good i just hope people don't get there hopes up in thinking this will have the same result for the kentucky derby as it did in 2006 with is brother.  I wish him all the best and i hope he is atleast some what good.  Depending on when they start i have my doubts weather he will even run in the derby and what there true goal is with this horse.  I think they are going to go down a similar road but i don't know if it will lead to the triple crown or the breeders cup in october.  Me personnaly i am going to be cautious and not get my hopes up to earily because i know what can happen if you do.

27 Jan 2009 10:55 AM
CountFleet 43

Michael will run Nicanor in the 1 mile MSW on the Dirt, this coming Saturday, IMHO. They should take entry's for Saturday, either Today/Tomorrow. I didn't believe that the connection's want to run Nic in a mile & an eight, dirt or turf, first time out. Michael did say 7 furlong's or 1 mile, dirt or turf.

Safe Trip & God's Speed

Clearwater Charlie & Tommy

27 Jan 2009 11:45 AM
Amy A.

I`m very partial to Edgar. He gave me the roses when he won the Mass Cap on Offlee Wild! Barbaro died on my son`s birthday. So, to me there is a special connection.

Good luck Edgar, Nicanor and the rest of the team. I`ll be watching!!

27 Jan 2009 1:02 PM
jclson40

I'm so happy I've waited for this for so long.  I knew in my heart for some reason that Edgar Prado will ride Nicanor.  We are coming up to the 2nd anniversary of Barbaro Passing and Nicanor's racing start.  Maybe this is a plan from above.  Good Luck Nic and RIP  Barbaro You will always live in my heart.

27 Jan 2009 1:20 PM
Marigold

Several brand new photos of Nic over on ABR today.  Beautiful, spirited boy.

27 Jan 2009 1:45 PM
Emily

For those of us that read Edgar's book, this is especially poignant. Godspeed to Edgar and Nicanor!

27 Jan 2009 4:36 PM
Lucky Louie

Best of luck with Barbaro's brother! You couldn't ask for a better Jock than Prado!  Thanks so much for putting him on board! We know Nicanor will be just as good as Barbaro with the combination of top Jockey and Trainer!  See you at Saratog!!!

27 Jan 2009 6:58 PM
MJ

Lot's of publicity about Nicanor!

27 Jan 2009 7:46 PM
Janet

Anyone know if there are plans to televise Nic's first race?  It would be nice to watch it.

27 Jan 2009 8:36 PM
Linda

I am so excited!!

I just wish I could see it.

TVG doesn't show Gulfstream Park

:-(

27 Jan 2009 9:57 PM
rick

alas...the moment is here! just what i thought, the hype machine is up and running. i've even seen this story on the local newscasts. horse racing, on the NEWS? what value! can't wait to make my bet, no matter the competetion....lightning rarely strikes twice (notice i said rarely), and i don't think we'll see it here either. nicanor is no barbaro, same ol' tune from me

28 Jan 2009 12:13 AM
KAM

Does anyone know how Go Smarty Go is?  I have not been able to find any info on him since September.

28 Jan 2009 8:49 AM
Greg J.

Here is one more article on Nicanor and his buddy, Rockland.  I am telling you, Both of these guys will win this weekend, Mark my word!(fingers crossed of course for both):

www.ntra.com/content.aspx

28 Jan 2009 9:28 AM
Barbara Platt

Does anyone have an idea if Nicanor's debut will be televised, and if so, when and on what channel?

28 Jan 2009 10:33 AM
Lady Ruffian
28 Jan 2009 1:06 PM
CountFleet 43

Nicanor is in the 8th Race on Saturday, He is #8 & Edgar Prado is the Rider. The Race may be between the Holy Bull Stakes & the other Stake Race, so it may be Televised. We shall see..

Good Luck, Safe Trip & come home a Winner.

Clearwater Charlie & Tommy

28 Jan 2009 1:25 PM
Marigold

There is a fabulous new article in The Thoroughbred Times in which Peter Brette expresses the feeling they all are having about Nicanor -- That they "are over the moon wih him" now.  That he (Peter) has begun to "feel very small" aboard Nicanor, just as he did with Barbaro.  The article is entitled "...Rolling Out the Red Carpet".

The closing image,  described by Gretchen Jackson is VERY touching and endearing about Nicanor.  He clearly DOES love to run.  What more can we ask of him??

I just LOVE this beautiful horse.

28 Jan 2009 1:32 PM
Susan NOVA

OMG... just got the equibase notification... he's entered for this Saturday... I am so excited...

28 Jan 2009 1:32 PM
Wanda

I see the horse is in on Sat. Good luck to all the connections and I think I'll go to the OTB and watch cause the Holy Bull and the Donn are on the same card.

28 Jan 2009 1:42 PM
Marigold

Race 8, post position 4, Gulfstream Park on Saturday!!  Go Nicanor!

28 Jan 2009 1:52 PM
TripleCrownCoug

Just got the notification.  Nicanor in the 1 mile race at GP on Saturday.  8th race, drew post 4.

28 Jan 2009 1:55 PM
Inquiry

NICANOR HAS FINALLY MADE IT TO THE RACES, SATURDAY AT GULFSTREAM PARK RACE 8 HES THE 4

28 Jan 2009 1:58 PM
pam

He's going in the 8th race at Gulfstream this Saturday between the Holy Bull and The Donn

28 Jan 2009 2:05 PM
JAJ

I'm hoping for a start in the shorter dirt race.  Don't be surprised if he is not fit enough for the mile, let alone a mile and an eighth.  It takes a race or two for them to get fit.  All the training and works in the world will not get them racing fit.

Let's all hope he has an easy race and is closing at the end.

28 Jan 2009 2:06 PM
SherpaGuide

It's official...Saturday, Race 8, Gulfstream at 4:43EST!!! Ridden by Edgar Prado, Nicanor will be #4 !! Good luck and be safe!!

28 Jan 2009 2:10 PM
Linda

GOD I WISH I COULD SEE IT!!!

28 Jan 2009 9:32 PM
Marigold

For all those of you (who shall remain namelsss, for now) who are so negative and  dismissive about Nicanor, why are you on this blog???

Those of us who love him are entitled to be optimisic and hopeful.  Why you came here is not clear.  So, (while I want to say Buzz off!) I'll just say "give it a rest."

28 Jan 2009 10:08 PM
Susie

OMG. I am so excited. I will be at OTB and betting as much as I can. Barbaro will be watching over his little brother. God speed to Edgar and Nicanor!

29 Jan 2009 10:19 PM
Pinky132

Little Nicanor has such big shoes to fill and he may fill them. Nicanor  has just as much  talent, speed, and heart to win and in races he is going to fight till the end and give it all he's  got like Barbaro. On Saturday Barbaro is going to be right beside Nicanor and Prado running like the wind and so is Nicanor. I have alot of faith in Nicanor and hopefully it will be a safe race and he will win but if he doesn't that's okay with me because regardless it's good experience for him and he'll know what to do better in the next race. GO NICANOR AND PRADO. May God and Barbaro be with you in the race.

30 Jan 2009 2:03 AM
Dona

Was away for a few days and first thing I did was look for your updates Amanda, wasn't disappointed. Best possible news. Go Nicanor and hang on Edgar!

31 Jan 2009 3:56 AM