It's A Boy!

La Ville Rouge produced another full brother to Barbaro March 10 at Mill Ridge Farm near Lexington. The colt, who was born at 10:45 p.m. and weighs 142 pounds, is by Dynaformer.

“He is a good size colt with plenty of leg and size as indicative of his weight,” said Headley Bell, the managing partner of Mill Ridge. “A bay colt, he only has a marking on the center of his forehead. Thankfully both mom and baby are well.”

The colt was bred by Roy and Gretchen Jackson. La Ville Rouge has produced two other full brothers to ill-fated Barbaro, who won the 2006 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). Her 3-year-old, Nicanor, finished second in a maiden special weight March 7 at Gulfstream Park. Lentenor, the 2-year-old, is in training at Stephens Thoroughbreds near Ocala, Fla.

La Ville Rouge is booked to Dynaformer.

For those asking about photos, please keep in mind that most farms like a mare and her new foal to have a few days to get used to each other and their new world first. Just be patient.

yawn

Congratulations.

We have soooooo much to look forward to.  I'm expecting this little horsie to win the Triple Crown, The Breeders' Cup Juvenile and Classic, Crufts, the Japan Cup, and more stakes races than any other horse in history!!!

I'm very happy for this.

11 Mar 2009 9:23 AM
Cassidy

Yea!!  Congrats to all the connections!  So happy mom and baby are doing great.  Thank you Amanda for sharing the great news.  Look forward to baby pics.

11 Mar 2009 9:25 AM
horsenut23

YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations LVR!! Dynaformer!!

Nicanor & Lentenor!! The Jacksons, MM, PB, and ALL the Barbaro connections!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for the pictures!

11 Mar 2009 9:33 AM
RhondaH

Congratulations La Ville, Her little one and the Jacksons.

So glad that Mom and baby are doing fine.

11 Mar 2009 9:34 AM
Shirley Young

I'm so excited - another boy - can't wait to hear his name!  It was so exciting to see Nicanor come in second last Saturday - I'm praying for more good news in the future.  I have read just about everything published about Barbaro and Stone's print is hanging over my couch in my living room. I look at Barbaro every time I walk in the room.

11 Mar 2009 9:40 AM
Kathy

What a relief that LVR and her new bundle of joy, Babynor are doing well. That walk in the sunshine yesterday must have done her some good. Is the baby another bay and does it have a star? Congratulations to LVR, the Jacksons and of course Dynaformer.

11 Mar 2009 9:44 AM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Kathy - Please read the story for that information.

11 Mar 2009 9:50 AM
Karen J

Another colt, and bay with a star no less!  It seems we can count on LVR and Dynaformer for consistency!  Congratulations to everyone.  : )

11 Mar 2009 9:53 AM
Holly S.

Congratulation Roy and Gretchen ! We are looking forward to knowing what he will be named. Thank you as always, for keeping us up to date. Yipeee !

11 Mar 2009 9:56 AM
Kathy

The computer I am at has got tiny, itty-bitty letters, I didn't notice it until I looked again. Sorry, I should have known you would be thorough. I just have middle-aged eyes.

11 Mar 2009 9:58 AM
Greg J.

Congrats to The Jacksons !!, Good Job LVR, Welcome to the world, MARGANO !!!!, Godspeed to you.....(Rags to Riches beat you, LVR, by 25 hours, lol)

11 Mar 2009 9:59 AM
Nancy

HALLELUJAH AND PRAISES BE...

Thank you, sweet mama, for the gift of another beautiful, big boy for us to love.

Welcome to the world, sweet baby ~ we have loved you since long before you hit the ground!

11 Mar 2009 10:01 AM
SQ

Thank you for the update! Another Barbaro Brother!!! Looking forward to hearing his name!!

11 Mar 2009 10:02 AM
BobbieB.

What good news, another LaVille Rouge and Dynaformer colt. It has to be born with talent! Congrats to all the connections.

11 Mar 2009 10:06 AM
CLee

Congratulations La Ville Rouge and Dynaformer!  I am thankful that all is fine with mother and baby!  Love to all forever!

11 Mar 2009 10:10 AM
Karen, PA

What a great way to start the day!

Well done, La Ville Rouge, and welcome to the world, "Margano."  Also am looking forward to the pictures. Single marking on his forehead - just like Barbaro?

Congratulations to the growing Jackson equine family.

Enjoy the world, little one!

11 Mar 2009 10:16 AM
sandieh

Yippieeeeeeeee! Pass the mints, and born on my birthday! Barbaro must be naying in heaven, Nicky knocks, Lennie, you have a baby brother! Yippee, yippee! Laville and Dynaformer, we are proud of the proud parents, and congrats to Rags to Riches on foaling a filly, double good news!

11 Mar 2009 10:22 AM
BobbyD

Unless the Jackson's go totally off course he'll be named MARGANO

11 Mar 2009 10:28 AM
Ragsy

Amanda your the Greatest....

Yippeee,such a delight,betcha I will want to see how that little fella progress day to day, month by month.  I think this will be a good way to study the skeletal and muscular system as baby grows..Welcome, little one on a very positive day in the world 3-10-09,142 lbs.  a sweet boy ready to play with mama....

11 Mar 2009 10:38 AM
Chris

Congratulations to LVR and Dynaformer and all their connections.  Enjoy the baby gifts I sent.  Much health, happiness and a very successfull racing career.

11 Mar 2009 10:39 AM
Ragsy

La Ville Rouge to me you are the most important one still, I just love your son's of Dynaformer...

recover quickly sweet one...

Havent seen a picture of Rags2Riches foal... maybe,soon... love ya too...

11 Mar 2009 10:41 AM
Ida Lee

Wheeee! I'm so glad both LVR & Rags had their babies. I was getting a little worried lately. But with all the bad news today (multiple shootings here and Germany) it's great to be thinking about these beautiful mares having their babies and all going well. Rags has always had a special place in my heart because when she won the most exciting race ever, I was recuperating from cancer surgery and Rags got me out of bed, with a pillow to my stomach so I could scream and yell for her in the Belmont. It sounds like the new Babynor will look the most like our beloved Barbaro. I can't wait to see him!!!

11 Mar 2009 10:43 AM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Just avoid confusion, the Jacksons have not officially named the foal. Also, I believe the next foxhound is Marcano, not Margano. For what it is worth the name Marcano has been reserved.

11 Mar 2009 10:51 AM
SL

Weighing in at 142 lbs.  Is that a lot for a newborn?

11 Mar 2009 10:51 AM
Debbie

Pictures?

11 Mar 2009 10:54 AM
darlene

congrats to the Jacksons and the connections of Rags to Riches on these two beautiful babies happy to hear that all is well I hope they both grow up to be champions  but both are loved  cant wait to see pictures  darlene

11 Mar 2009 10:54 AM
Blackmamba

As much as you're happy for jackson. It's so hard to duplicate very good horses. Sibling wise. Frank stronach tried to duplicate one of the best horses I've ever seen. His name is ghostzapper. He can beat you at any distance. From any style(on the lead or way back closing). Anyways, like all horses he's at stud at adena springs. A year later here comes his full brother. Wasn't even close. So don't expect too much.

11 Mar 2009 10:59 AM
Kim

So glad  that mommie and baby are fine. Thank you for the good news.

11 Mar 2009 11:00 AM
Ragsy

Amanda thank you for the name clarification.  Its nice to know.

Ida Lee I hope your feeling well and your cancer is gone. There are so many things in this world that tries to steal our joy, but we will not allow that.  I am glad that chestnut filly, Rags2Riches helped you with her win over Curlin ( I love Curlin) I also was pleased with her win.

11 Mar 2009 11:10 AM
Greg J.

Thanks for info on name Amanda, I was just going by previous Post on Bloodhorse:

cs.bloodhorse.com/.../names-of-the-foxhounds.aspx

11 Mar 2009 11:16 AM
stardust

Amanda.  THANK YOU!

Congrats to Roy and Grethen and Oh my 142 pounds.  ONE star on the forehead, another oh my! This is wonderful news.  I am jumping up and down like a little kid :).  This is wonderful.

Marcano  welcome to the world little guy, did you know that you have a big brother in heaven that was the greatest horse on Earth?  Yeah and did you know that you have two beautiful brothers too?  Oh little guy and LVR I am so happy for both of you and I can't wait to see the pics.

Thank You Roy and Grethen for another Godson.

Greg J.

Rags was 25 hours earlier?  WOW this is a great week for the moms aye?  I am estatic.  The bloodline continues with our beautiful Barbaro.  Barbaro must be so proud.  THREE brothers.  God Bless You LVR and little guy!  You have a great mom and dad. :)

11 Mar 2009 11:21 AM
CarolinaJude

How cool that LVR and Rags both foaled within hours of each other!

Can't wait to see pics of both newbies.

Yes, I am sure that our beloved Barbaro is on that other side of The Rainbow Bridge watching and guiding his siblings as they embark on their racing careers.

11 Mar 2009 11:35 AM
DONNA

Yeahhh, now we have the brothers three! There are three races to win the triple crown and hopefully one of them will, to fill Barbaro's legacy. Thanks for the good news. Glad to hear mom and new baby are doing good. Wishing them both good health and luck.

Also good luck, and good health wishes to Rags and her new little filly.

11 Mar 2009 11:40 AM
Adrienne

Welcome to the world baby!!  Can't wait to see pics.  You sound beautiful.

11 Mar 2009 11:46 AM
todd

After seeing his older brother win the florida derby in person I saw Barbaro to be a very special horse and told Michael Matz that after the race...  Horses that good only come by once in a lifetime if at all.  They could take this mare to him for years and never duplicate a horse of his ability.

11 Mar 2009 11:49 AM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Greg J - That was before I was doing the blog, but I will definitely go edit that. Thanks for the heads up!

11 Mar 2009 11:51 AM
FOB

Congrats to LVR, and the Jackson's.

I am happy the foal is healthy, and I can't wait for a FILLY by the "couple."  I hope we get a filly next year.  :)

11 Mar 2009 12:04 PM
Bonnie3

God bless LVR, Marcano and all of their connections. Please watch over all and help keep the Barbaro Legacy thriving.

11 Mar 2009 12:05 PM
Jes

OMG! Congrats LVR!!! I was wondering when you were going to give us a baby. I was hoping for a filly...still hope you have one, but I'm just glad everyone is okay. That baby's pretty big. Looking forward to pics!!

11 Mar 2009 12:05 PM
Karen in Texas

Thanks for the news! May La Ville Rouge and her foal remain safe and healthy in the days to come.

11 Mar 2009 12:09 PM
Bella

Glad to hear everyone is healthy... how about a year off for LVR after 3-4 babies in a row.... broodmares these days are like breeders in puppy mills...

11 Mar 2009 12:15 PM
MVH

Congratulations to the lovely LVR and her precious new little boy.  Congratulations also to the Jackson family and to Michael and Peter to whom this baby will come one day for training. Happy day for all of us!

Looking forward to pictures and a video! Oh yes, Congratulations Dynaformer, another job well done.  Congratulations to big brothers nicanor and Lentenor.  What a wonderful family.  God Bless you BBH, congrats to you, too, Angel Boy.

11 Mar 2009 12:18 PM
Kbuckeye

Wonderful! In a week of such awful news around the country, how nice to have two positive events. Three, counting Nicanor's race last Saturday. One thing is certain--the new foal will undoubtedly be a handsome individual, like his parents! Congratulations to the Jacksons. (And next, we hope, a filly......)

11 Mar 2009 12:20 PM
MRO

Congratulations to the proud equine parents, human parents etc.

I'll also use this forum to say that I'm dying to see photos of Rags to Riches with her new baby girl. I've been waiting for her to foal since I read she was bred to Giant's Causeway.

11 Mar 2009 12:20 PM
Ragsy

Yes Todd,and I agree Barbaro was "one in a million", and he will never be duplicated, but there are some that hope his siblings can learn to race well and who knows, what will be their capabilities down the road.  Most folks just wish them all the sucess they can achieve.  God Bless, all of the brothers..

11 Mar 2009 12:25 PM
Joan Canan

So happy, La Ville Rouge had her Colt!! So proud of her and her new baby!! May God Bless, La Ville Rouge, Dynaformer, and newest brother!!!! What a Happy Day!!!

Cheers,

Joan/VA

11 Mar 2009 12:34 PM
DONNA

How come the post from Bloddhorse says the name Margano and you say it is Marcano? Which is correct/

11 Mar 2009 12:49 PM
horsefan4ever

Congrats LVR!And congrats to the Jacksons

can't wait to see pics of the new arrival

good health to LVR and her baby!

11 Mar 2009 12:50 PM
kyrailbird

First off...thank you, Amanda, for the news. :)  If the Jacksons keep with 'tradition' so to speak, the new foal's name will be "Sereno", not "Marcano".  Sereno is the next foxhound in the print.

11 Mar 2009 12:56 PM
DONNA

Todd you are correct. There will never be another Barbaro. He can never be duplicated thru his siblings. I, and most of the people in this blog know that. That does not mean that his brothers cannot be as good or near as good as he was. They are individuals and hopefully one will be able to come to greatness in their own ways.

11 Mar 2009 12:56 PM
Dona

Thanks again Amanda for being "Johnnie- on -it", can't thank Headley Bell and his staff at Mill Ridge enough for being so gracious to us. Yes, congratulations all around to LVR, Dynaformer at Three Chimneys and of course the Jackson family. Happy to hear both "mom and baby" are doing well. I'll have a few anxious moments for the next couple of weeks, just hoping both stay are healthy. Had a good laugh yesterday, someone wrote that Dynaformer was on his way out and yet out of the 12 Stallions at Three Chimneys, four are booked full and Dynaformer is one of them. The old warrior may be getting up there in age but lucky for all concerned , he's still got it! Now, if the racing Gods will hear our pleas and give us a filly next time. Yawn, that's such a good name for you, perhaps your last name could be boring. Yes, that's it "Yawn Boring".

11 Mar 2009 1:02 PM
S Farrar

The world seems so much brighter today to hear the awesome news of the new foal and that LaVilleRouge and baby are safe and well!!

And Rags - what more can be said?  This is a happy day for all of us who love these horses so deeply.

11 Mar 2009 1:08 PM
lobieb

Amanda if you can, can you get pics of both LVR and Rags with their new ones, would just love to see them both. Congrats to their connections. I know the Jackson's want a filly so badly but as we all know there is still one more name left in the hound picture and think Dynaformer wants that reserved for another colt. LOL  It has just been a very pleasant day now.

11 Mar 2009 1:09 PM
PatCA

What wonderful news!! Congratulations to LVR our own Queen Mum.

I can't wait to see pictures of the little one.

11 Mar 2009 1:10 PM
Penny in Texas

Good news, so glad Mom and baby are doing well.

11 Mar 2009 1:13 PM
GinnieJ

So very happy for LVR and baby boy!

Can't wait to see pics and a video!  Please! You good folks spoiled us when Lentenor was born, which I will always remember and appreciate.

Best wishes to all.

11 Mar 2009 1:14 PM
stardust

DONNA

I so agree with you.  There will never be another Barbaro BUT the brothers all have something of their own that is special.  They have their own quirks and their own talent.  I would never want a horse to even try to take Barbaro's place.  That would be a slam to Barbaro.  He was the greatest and through his siblings, his legacy lives on.  That is what is so special about this family.  I like your post.  :)

11 Mar 2009 1:25 PM
stardust

I am sure that Amanda is just as ready as all of us are to put up pics of these babies.  She has been wonderful with all of this and I am positive that as SOON as she can, she will post some beautiful pictures.  :)

Thank You Amanda for making this world a better place.

11 Mar 2009 1:27 PM
hmb0725

Congrats to all!

I'd like to know what the baby's name will be!

11 Mar 2009 1:29 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Bella - La Ville Rouge did not have a foal in 2005 or in 2008. Please consider such things before making such general statements. Thank you.

11 Mar 2009 1:33 PM
Ida Lee

Ragsy - I'm doing very well - I'm now cancer free. Thank you for your comments. I also adore Curlin.  I read that Dreaming of Anna is in foal. I bet she'll have a beautiful baby too as gorgeous as she is. But I wonder if Barbaro will ever have a sister?

11 Mar 2009 1:37 PM
brettzky99

As discussed previously the Ghostzapper example (or Sectretariat, Seattle Slew, Smarty Jones who all had full siblings) is purely anectdotal and backed with no statistical significance.  The only reason that you might  not want to get expectations too high is that the mating of Dynaformer to a mare out of Carson City, statistically is only slightly above average based on data for all registered stallions in TruNicks and other hypothetical mating models.  If you have a highly rated mating, any of the elite bloodstock advisors would tell you to duplicate it as opposed to a lower opportunity mating.  The odds against any sibling of Barbaro repeating his achievements is merely due to the fact that 30,000 foals are born each year with the same goals.  It has absolutely nothing to do with Barbaro's success.  The fact that there are some siblings of super horses that weren't the same caliber has no statistical relevance when compared to statisical evidence based on every crop of almost every registered stallion, which is what a TruNick would tell you.  The fact that Arisocrat, who was Ghostzapper's brother, was only a decent allowance horse, has no bearing on the future proficiency of any LVR colts through Dynaformer.  People on this board will tell you that there expectations are actually just hope, based on their connection to Barbaro's personality as a patient and icon first, and a racehorse second.

11 Mar 2009 1:48 PM
Carol

Best wishes to both of the new baby's. Thank you LaVille and Rags.

Great job, may God Bless them both.

11 Mar 2009 1:54 PM
Majella from Ireland

I'm so happy! LVR and Rags within 24 hrs of each other! Realistically I don't expect any of Barbaro's brothers to be grade 1 material but I can always dream and I dream that some day one of them wins the BC Juvinile and the Classic and maybe an American Classic too. But even if they arent like Barbaro, I'll still love them! Good luck baby! I'll cheer for you!

And Bella, I don't mean to be rude, but your statement was totally incorrect. PETA may have a blog that you can post on but this is for horse racing fans.

11 Mar 2009 1:55 PM
JAJ

Bella,

That was a question I asked the farm manager (who also happens to be an equine vet) of the farm where I board my broodmare.  His wife is also an equine vet, and an equine repro specialist on top of that.

He told me that mares take a year off when they need it.  They just won't get in foal and the vets can't seem to find any reason they don't.  Taking a year off reduces the likelihood of the mare getting in foal following the barren year.  He thinks a broodmare in good condition should be bred every year unless there are reasons to skip.

I know, it doesn't sound very nice to breed a mare every year, especially on a foal heat.  I can assure you my one broodmare has a wonderful life.  She is sleek and dappled and LOVES her job as a broodmare.

11 Mar 2009 1:57 PM
sandieh

ida lee, i am glad to hear you are cancer free, may god continue to keep you in good health. yes, i heard today also, another beautiful equine lady, dreaming of ana is in foal to street cry. best news for me today, babynor was born on my birthday.

11 Mar 2009 2:06 PM
Alex

Congratulations La ville rouge on the birth of your baby boy. Can't Wait to see the baby pictures. Love Alex from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. :)

11 Mar 2009 2:33 PM
Amber

Oh, I'm so happy! So very happy. Little baby boy, awww...can't wait to see pictures of him! I remember the first pictures I saw of little Nicanor, then Lentenor so soon after he was born bucking around in the pasture...

Next time let it be a filly, though! Boys are a handful. ;) We need a princess. Rags gave us a little girl! That gave me the flutters.

Bella, you know, you really ought to know what you're talking about before you post. It's just rude to say something like that when you haven't the vaguest idea what you're talking about.

Did I see cancer free? I know this is a horse blog, but -- congratulations! I sure hope it stays that way.

11 Mar 2009 2:40 PM
anniedixie65

YAY!! Congradulations!!!!! I can't wait to see pictures! I wonder what his name will be! Maybe the next in the picture on the fox hound painting?

11 Mar 2009 2:57 PM
Meghan

Congrats to all!!

Can't wait to see pictures of the new little guy as well as Rags' baby girl.

Glad to hear momma and baby are doing just fine.

11 Mar 2009 3:13 PM
2 time valley player of the year

Congrats to all parties and mare's and best of luck

11 Mar 2009 3:27 PM
nonnonheinous

Just an interesting tidbit: it's not the female that determines the sex of a baby--that "genetic information" is determined by the male. Each particular sperm is pre-configured to be male or female, and it's just a matter of chance which one fertilizes the egg! It is theoretically possible, too, for a particular male to produce an uneven ratio of male/female sperm, and thus they always seem to produce fillies or colts at unequal rate.

So, it's a little unfair to ask LVR when *she* will "give" us a filly--that's up to Dynaformer, so to speak! ;)

11 Mar 2009 3:30 PM
Cheryl G

OH, Congrats on another Dynaformer-La Ville Rouge Colt! This one's going to win the Triple Crown, I can just feel it!  :>)

11 Mar 2009 3:55 PM
Diane/Pa

Congrats to you La ville Rouge on your new little baby boy.. Hope all is well and they both keep healthy and safe.. and hope  they do not over breed .....

11 Mar 2009 4:58 PM
Cassidy

Well said Brettzky99.  Hope is definately what most all of us found in Barbaro (not to mention Beauty, Inspiration, Uncondition Love, Will to Live, and eventually physical loss).  What most all us still find in this family of Barbaro's is unending hope and everyday miracles.  We only get one shot at life, so we must choose to live it to it's full extent.  May each of us have the ability to see the miracles and hope around us everyday.

Ida Lee, congrats on being cancer free.  God Bless You!

11 Mar 2009 5:03 PM
Bianca

Congratulations to La Ville Rouge and her new little colt! It has been a lot of fun, as well as an education for me, to see how a newborn thoroughbred develops and then is trained to be a professional racehorse.

Thanks Amanda!

11 Mar 2009 5:28 PM
DONNA

Thanks Stardust, glad you undersood where I was coming from. Barbaro will always be dear to me. I have a picture of him winning the Kentucky Derby on my dresser. Someday I hope to be at one of the tracks where Nicanor and Lentenor race and get a picture of them to add along side of him.

11 Mar 2009 5:47 PM
Mattie W.

Thanks for the update. How exciting! Nicanor and Lentanor have a new brother! Can't wait to see the pics but I'll be patient. 'Do want to give mom and her new baby some quality time alone together to get acquainted.

11 Mar 2009 5:52 PM
DONNA

Yes, Brettsky99 Hope Springs Eternal, and thats what we all are doing for Barbaro's siblings.

11 Mar 2009 5:57 PM
HorseFirst

Ida Lee, please continue in good health!

Congratulations to the Jackson's.

For those learning, if the new colt has only a star, he is not marked like Barbaro.  Note in the picture of Barbaro here:

www.thoroughbredtimes.com/.../Click-here-for-Barbaro-coverage.aspx

..the white on his nose.  That is commonly called a snip.  Barbaro had a star and a snip.  Barbaro also had partial socks on his front feet.  In the horse world, that's not marked alike.

Next, a filly foal is not necessarily less of a handful than a colt- sometimes more.  They can be born with attitude and a good share of race mares have attitude.

La Ville Rouge is not being "over bred."  Several good posts above about that. Think about it- she's getting the best care, food, and a life that many other horses will never see.  There are far too many neglected horses out there and off the track thoroughbreds that will never have the life La Ville Rouge has.  Consider also that in the wild, a mare would produce a foal about every year, so there is nothing unnatural about this.  Because a mare carries a foal for 11 months, their reproductive quota is not large, by most animal standards.

Whether there are too many mares and stallions that shouldn't be bred is another issue.  But every breed has that.

The odds are against producing another Barbaro but my thanks to the Jacksons, Mill Ridge Farm, and The Bloodhorse for letting us sneak peaks into this particular line of horses.  Remember, there are many other precious foals born each year.

I hope the new baby gets all the opportunities he can, stays in good health, and always has safe trips on the track.  Don't care at all if he wins or not.

11 Mar 2009 6:12 PM
LyndaP31

YAY!!! Happy news!!! I needed happy news after being in "Dante's Inferno" at work today. The third level of hell had no working clock and I worked 15 mintues over GRRR> But a baby makes me HAPPY!!!

11 Mar 2009 7:03 PM
Mel

may he be safe and healthy and live a long happy life.....Saint Michael watch over him...

11 Mar 2009 7:28 PM
christy tate

awesome! another colt. another brother to nicky and lenny. glad all is well. she's a pretty lady and i wish her and baby, all the best.

11 Mar 2009 7:48 PM
Luvthehorses

Glad to hear that mother and baby are both doing good. Congratulations to everyone that loves and cares for them.

11 Mar 2009 8:02 PM
Mary, Honolulu

Whoa there folks!!!  Let's not jump the gun or put the cart before the horse.  Let's let the newborns settle in.  The connections will give the name soon enuf.  Remember, of the remaining foxhound names, two have already been reserved or used.

Babies!!  Like everyone else, I love babies and always breath a sigh of relief that Mother and Foal made it through all right.  All this wishful naming of the new arrival seems a bit premature...as I said, only one name of the foxhounds remains, that being Sereno, but who's to say this is the Jackson's choice??  Perhaps they might go another route.

Reading thru the blogs, then rereading, I get the feeling of "fever pitch"...everyone is so

"gung ho" to have this baby win all the "BIG" races, i.e. Derby, Preakness, Belmont, not to mention the Breeders Cup...they went the same route with Nicanor and Lentenor.  Go back and read what Brettzky99 had to say about siblings duplicating fetes...Don't mean to punch holes in people's balloons, but most everyone has lost track of reality...or they just aren't knowledgeable (and I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I do try to keep abreast)....And yes, there is always hope...what will be will be and no amount of wishing will change destiny...Kismet!

Cassidy's answer to Brettzky99 is well put, couldn't have said it any better.....

Sorta, kinda like the bottom line!!!!!

11 Mar 2009 8:05 PM
ean ennis

This Bararo thing has evolved into a cult following.dont get me wrong i loved the colt,and was devastated at his injury,encouraged by his courage and will to live.But 4 Dynaformers in a row?does the siblings usually do as well?

11 Mar 2009 8:25 PM
MJ

Brettzky99,  I love Barbaro first as a racehorse and second as a patient.  People came to know him because of his race career.

11 Mar 2009 9:14 PM
slewed'em

Maybe third time will be the charm! This is the third full brother so maybe he'll be the next great one!

11 Mar 2009 9:26 PM
Kaydee

Congrats to LVR and all the connections!

Isn't the next dog in the portrait named Sereno?  I thought Marcano is the one on the far left, but Sereno is the one next to Lentenor.

11 Mar 2009 9:45 PM
Laura

Congratulations La Ville Rouge and everyone else.  The new foal is finally here!  These are great news.  Hope to see some pictures in the next few days.  Hope this new baby grows up to be big and strong, just like his older brothers!!!

11 Mar 2009 10:11 PM
Brian A.

This has got to be one of the most popular, is not famouse, horse family and breeding arrangement ever.  La Ville Rouge to Dynaformer, and all because of Barbaro!!

11 Mar 2009 10:19 PM
zenyatta2008/2009

Hurray!!! My heart lit up when I saw the news. You would have thought it was my own baby I got so happy. Legacy is so special. Just having these boys in the world is good enough for me. What a special family, a unique story indeed. Maybe the next new baby will be a little sister. Pretty little star marked Calypso. Fun to look forward to. As long as LVR's health is put first. And, here's hoping Dynaformer isn't pentioned any time soon. Don't think he wants to be!

11 Mar 2009 10:37 PM
mdfanofracing

Congrats to LVR on another fine job. Sounds like this colt is marked more similar to Barbaro, though apparently no white on the legs. Wow  143 pounds, i seem to recall all her foals have been large. I think we should all send our "make the next one a filly" mojo to LVR. It's time this family has a little sister. I hope this colt and the 2 before him bring the Jacksons as much joy as Barbaro did and none of the heartache. God Bless and keep them all safe.

That also goes for Rag's and her filly. Cant help but wonder if we will see those two in the 2011 Breeders Cup juvi's.

11 Mar 2009 10:42 PM
Clearwater Charlie

Congrats to Rags & her new Baby.Congrats to LaVille Rouge & her new Son. WOW, First was the Great Barbaro, Nicanor, Lentenor & now Marcano. Dynaformer, (old Dad)has got to be proud of his 4 Sons. He will work on producing his female juices, as for this next mating, even he wants a GIRL..Good Luck to All the connections.

11 Mar 2009 10:59 PM
jackie Fan of Nicanor

Another Boy Yea!!!!!!!!!!!We never know what God Has in store for these guys.  There is a little bit of Barbaro in all three. Lentenor can still surprise us.  Nicanor is just starting and this little guy might have something.  We just have to wait.

11 Mar 2009 11:31 PM
jackie Fan of Nicanor

No matter what these three guys do us true fans will love them no matter what.

11 Mar 2009 11:32 PM
Dona

Thanks Amanda for your comments to Bella. Hopefully she didn't know but it is disturbing anyway when someone comes out and makes such a harsh judgement. The puppy mill comparsion was reprehensible, so cynical, I can't understand why she went so awry.

P.S.

Great photos of Einstein on another blog aduckworth. Bravo!

12 Mar 2009 1:09 AM
Concerned Fan

Congrats to the Jacksons on the birth of another beautiful colt! Glad La Ville Rouge came through it fine and the foal is healthy! Well done, all!

12 Mar 2009 1:54 AM
Alanna

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alanna

www.craigslistsimplified.info

12 Mar 2009 5:33 AM
BigMommaLovesHorses

Congrats on the new baby!!! And as for skipping a year in having foals, I grew up on a farm. Cows didn't get to skip a yr or we had no milk for production. And the wild horses bred whenever.  No one told them they had to skip a season. I think that some people should read up more on breeding before making statements about giving a dam a years break from having a foal.

12 Mar 2009 7:20 AM
BigMommaLovesHorses

I don't know, correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like Nicky has the same markings as Barbaro, and Lenenor has more white. And they say the new baby only has a small marking of white on his head. Could be that the little guy might take after his older brother too in looks? Can't wait to see pics of mother and baby.

12 Mar 2009 7:26 AM
Shirley

Welcome little baby , best wishes to everyone!!

12 Mar 2009 9:45 AM
horsenut23

Ida Lee:

I seemed to have lost a posting here yesterday, probably in transmission, so here goes again.

I wish you continued good health.! Isn't it amazing how these great creatures can ease our pain, if even only momentarily? What would we do without them?

12 Mar 2009 10:02 AM

Brettzky99:

I started watching Barbaro race while he was in Florida and fell in love with him, way before the Kentucky Derby and that ill-fated date at Preakness.  At that point, guess I was a horse race fan. ALL because of meeting Barbaro at the race track...my love of horses has grown from that moment on. Only now, I want to learn more...

12 Mar 2009 11:09 AM
stardust

BigMommaLovesHorses

I thought it was the other way around.  :)  I wonder if this little one is even more like Barbaro in looks.  One thing we do know is they are all the same color.  That is wild.

Amanda.  Who is darker, Nicanor or Lenatenor?  I have never seen them in real life only on pictures and I can't tell.

12 Mar 2009 11:37 AM
MVH

Big Momma. you have it reversed.  Nicanor has more white on his face, Lentenor has just the spot between his eyes.

12 Mar 2009 12:10 PM
Marigold

Yawn, you are an interesting critter.  BUT if you come over here just to make fun of us, we won't miss you if you leave.  Your negativity is not constructive and won't do a thing to dent our enthusiasm for this family of horses and their connections.  Please stop.  We were here first.

12 Mar 2009 12:18 PM
Irene

To Yawn - that was a very sarcastic remark to make about a new born colt.  It indicates a lack of bad manners and makes me question your lineage the same as I would question a horses lineage.

The proper thing to say is "Congratulations on a safe birth and may both of you have a long, safe productive life" the same, Yawn, as I am now wishing you.  It appears that chivalry is dead with you the same as civility.

12 Mar 2009 12:26 PM
brettzky99

MJ,

I should have stated that most people (as opposed to just the people) identified first with Barbaro as a patient and icon, and then as a racehorse.  I would disagree that MOST people, on this blog or in general came to know him because of his race career.  He went into the Derby as the third choice behind Sweetnorthernsaint, and Brother Derek--not even the handicappers were in touch with how dominant he was.

12 Mar 2009 12:28 PM
J in NY

This is WONDERFUL news!  I'm shocked she's sprung so many colts and not one filly!  :-)  I hope they ALL do well in their careers! Congratulations to the proud Jacksons!  Glad to hear Mom and baby are doing well!

12 Mar 2009 12:35 PM
Wendy Darling

The Jackson's also own Geroge Washington's dam, right?

Any news on her?

12 Mar 2009 12:42 PM
Bella

Aduckworth, you are right, I stand corrected.

12 Mar 2009 1:34 PM
stardust

Marigold

I hear ya.  We are and have been with Barbaro from the very beginning.  I don't really like it when people rain on the parade.  Barbaro and the family are the best and we have been through a lot with all of these horses.  So much work has been done.  So much money has been raised.  So much love has gone to these horses and the connections.  These snide remarks will not budge me or any one of us that truly love this family.  We are with Barbaro every single day.  He made us stronger and wiser.  He is telling me now that there are always people that want to ruin someones pleasure. I am glad Roy and Gretchen did't have to read that.  They are remarkable people and the best in my eyes as far as owners.  They really really care about their horses.

FOB and proud to be one!  :)

12 Mar 2009 1:52 PM
Kathy

Yawn, I really thought you were being pleasant for once. Imagine my surprise when I read all of the individuals stating you were being sarcastic. OMG, what a relief to know you were being your old self. Please disregard any pleasant vibes I was emitting to you. I personally believe that all of the brothers will be very good to extremely great. And you know what, the Brother's Bee are a pleasant distraction even if none of them win on the track. In my eyes and heart, they are winners already.

12 Mar 2009 2:04 PM
stardust

LVR and Babynor.

I hope you are both doing well and bonding.  Big brother Barbaro is so happy for you and he has all of the Angels watching over the both of you to make sure that you both stay healthy and happy.  We love you LVR and Babynor.  Nothing will EVER change that.  :)

12 Mar 2009 2:10 PM
Kathy

Amanda, I don't know if anyone has asked this yet, so bear with me if it has, but I was wondering if there are any plans to film Babynor frolicking about at Mill Ridge Farm.

Please let us know....Thanks

12 Mar 2009 2:17 PM
horsenut23

MVH:

Actually, Lentenor also has a wispy snip on the end of his muzzle, you can see it on the video

that was on this website last month.

12 Mar 2009 2:35 PM
Kitei

I'm so very happy that LVR and new baby boy are well. Congratulations all 'round!  Of course, we MUST have video!  Such a small thing would give such huge joy to so many, including me, of course... Connecting with the innocent sweet liveliness of such beautiful newborns is just THE spring tonic everyone needs.

BTY -- do you think that maybe LVR and Dyna-daddy will wait on producing a filly until the "girl-name" (Calypso) comes up in its order?

12 Mar 2009 3:39 PM
Lorenzo

Congrats to LVR, the Jacksons, Mill Ridge, and all connections. Another baby safe on the ground! It doesn't matter to me if these colts rival Barbaro in talent. They are all beautiful boys and will find their way or the Jacksons (or Michael) will find the place for them where they can best succeed. Last I heard from Michael's barn manager from his show jumping days is that Man in Havana is with a very good rider (and horsewoman) working on becoming a show jumper.

I thought I read somewhere (here?) that the Jacksons would like a filly. Maybe they'll go for the heiress and a spare"ess". Isn't it the mare line that has more influence?

Best wishes again to all. Happy Mommying to LaVille and Rags!

12 Mar 2009 4:04 PM
horselover

He sounds like a stunning baby. i hope he becomes a great racehorse in the future. I can't wait till he grows up.

12 Mar 2009 5:22 PM
Zenyatta2009

Something to mention, we all know there are people out there who don't understand our connection or love to this family of equine. It is their inability to be passionate about one of God's finest creations that makes it all their loss.  It is my opinion that these people come to a blog created for the rest of us, merely to put a bee in our bonnet and disrupt.  Don't give them the attention they desire, it only incourages more.  I simply don't even read on when I see there are negative comments.  Some people obviously have nothing better to do than be instigators.  Just my thoughts.

12 Mar 2009 5:31 PM
Mary

Lorenzo, I believe the mare line has the most influence.  There have been  several articles written entitled the "X-factor.  Read the articles, very interesting.  Using Secretariat as an example, he inherited his big heart from his mother, Somethingroyal.  Somethingroyal inherited the gene, it is believed, from her father, Princequillo.  It has been written that Princequillo carried the largest heart gene, followed by War Admiral, Blue Larkspur, and Native Dancer.

Secretariat's heart was estimated to weigh 22 pounds; a horse's heart normally weighs 7 or 8 pounds.

The big heart gene is passed on from sire to daughter or from mare to daughter or son, but a sire cannot pass it on to his son.

Secretariat was a sound horse, like his father Bold Ruler.  He had it all.

Look at Friesan Fire's pedigree.  Beautiful.

12 Mar 2009 6:59 PM
HorseFirst

Yes, I've heard too that Man in Havana is learning to jump.  Good for the Jackson's for being willing to "listen" to the horse.

I read somewhere else, (CONJECTURE, not fact) that if La Ville Rouge has a filly next time (Up to Dynaformer) maybe the Jackson's might go to a different stallion after, whether Dynaformer is still standing or not.  Made sense.  If you want to build on the mare line, get a half-sister to a Dynaformer filly.  Would just hope they wouldn't have to wait as long!

12 Mar 2009 7:03 PM
mdfanofracing

Wendy,  Yes, the Jacksons own George Washington's dam. Her name is Bordighera. She is by Alysheba but is the same vibrant chestnut as her grandsire Alydar. To date i believe she has produced 10 foals. She was bred to Danehill Dancer for 08, but not sure about this year. She is also dam of Grandera, who raced in Europe with winnings close to 3 million. He was horse of the world in 2002. Apparently Bordighera is in Europe as all her foals are British or Irish breds.

12 Mar 2009 7:31 PM
Ragsy

Stardust,etta, I just love Dynaformer offspring what happens when he can no longer fulfill that honor...

La Ville Rouge will not be retired, she's too young.  Who will take over when Dynaformer retires from breeding ( which I hope doesnt happen for many moons ) windtalker....

12 Mar 2009 7:47 PM
Dona

Kathy - lol, glad you came to your senses. Stay well, stay happy and stay vigilant.

yawn - To open the mouth wide, esp. involuntarily through drowsiness, dullness, or fatigue

Thank you Mr Webster!

12 Mar 2009 7:48 PM
nonnonheinous

For what it's worth, I first became a "fan" of Barbaro before the Kentucky Derby. I've always had a passing interest in horse racing, being a rider, horse owner and a few of my favorite riding horses over the years have been Thoroughbreds.

Finally, that year I remembered the Derby was supposed to happen soon, and decided to see what was going on. A google search turned up the Kentuckyderby.com page and I was so excited to see that you could easily learn about each of the contenders, and even watch videos of their past races.

While I was impressed that he was undefeated, and I liked his simple, classy name (racehorse names can get ridiculous), it was his races that sold me on him. I don't know how to describe it, but he just impressed me. I also knew of his trainer when he used to ride jumpers (I did a lot of jumping as a teenager). I knew of him to be a true horseman.

I made Barbaro my "pick" and dragged some friends over to watch the derby with me. I was BEYOND thrilled when "my horse" won so easily (and a little annoyed I never bothered to bet any money on him).

I watched the Preakness alone on TV and was left crying my eyes out. I was so saddened when he finally lost his battle with laminitis. I know that everyone involved in his care loved him and gave him the best. I know from having to euthanize one of my own horses due to a injured neck that it's a heartbreaking decision to have to make, even when you know there is nothing you can do.

So, that's where my interest comes from, and why I follow this blog. I know the chances are slim that any of his siblings will achieve the level that Barbaro did, but you can't help but be curious how they do, win or lose. It's also an interesting study in breeding and watching how the same "ingredients" can be combined over and over again, with some aspects coming out of the oven very different or very similar!

Also, since Barbaro, I started following the Kentucky Derby every year, and since finding this blog, have wandered over into the rest of Bloodhorse.com and have become quite a race fan. I now follow every aspect of racing and try to learn as much as I can. So, you can say that racing has another fan, due to Barbaro--of course, I think he would have done even if he hadn't been injured and had his career cut short.

I admire the horses most--their nobility, gameness, and courage.

Best of luck to the "Barbaro Family"!

12 Mar 2009 9:34 PM
Vickie Miller

I am so happy Rouge and her baby are fine. I pray for all of them all the time. I love them so much. Best Wishes.

12 Mar 2009 9:45 PM
Vickie Miller

I am so happy that Rouge and her new baby are fine. I pray for all of them all the time and am following the older boys. Best wishes.

12 Mar 2009 9:47 PM
Barb K

Here's to the amazing mare LVR who keeps it consistent.  And all of you on the farms and ranches who raises the babies.  Another healthy colt born to the Jackson family, MAZEL TOV!

12 Mar 2009 10:01 PM
Becky

Congrats to all those involved.

I have been wanting to do this for so long.  I have been following the family since the derby.  Barbaro was one in a million.  But then every horse is one in a million to someone.  Every owner in the world wants the same thing; to win the big ones.  So why should the Jacksons or any of us be any different?  All of here will love them no matter what they do, and we all just wish them health and happiness.

So again Congrats on the newest member of the "family".  May you always come home to the barn content.

12 Mar 2009 10:20 PM
Meg

awww i love it, Rags had a baby girl and La Ville had a baby boy :)  Marcano is such a pretty name! what are the other Foxhound's names on there anyway? i cant want to see pics of both of them!!

12 Mar 2009 11:03 PM
sandieh

Nicky, i don't have a computer at home, so i will wish you a Happy Birthdays Nicky Knocks!!! now, and have some carrot cake and see some of your buddies this weekend. Kathy, that picture would be the ultimate treat. We do have pictures of Nicky and Lennie running in the fields with their mommy when they were babies. There is also a clip on the end of Barbaro, a Nations Horse. How precious, to see that, and look at him now.

13 Mar 2009 6:54 AM
xmrsxmansonx

YAY!! =D

I was just thinking about her the other day... I had remembered that she was due in March! I'm glad all is well, hopefully this little guy will be another successful racer like his two (so far) brothers!! Have they picked a name yet?

13 Mar 2009 2:47 PM
Ragsy

We must all remember Yawn, in our society has the right to be sarcastic if she prefers..after all, freedom of speech reigns in the USA.  Right, Wrong, now, just which is it????

Yes, little baby brother will win the Florida Derby, Kentucky Derby,Preakness and that Belmont dang, guess thats the Triple Crown along with that big race held in Dubi that Curlin won, all of the races in the Breeders Cup, man, that little fella has his work cut out for him.  Guess, we will start working him out on the track next week, boy, mama had better be ready for this move.....

Who owns George Washington's only filly????

I just wanna see the new baby just go ahead and be that way, just lemme see the babbbyyyy....hugs and smooches little one....

13 Mar 2009 5:47 PM
BigMommaHorseLover

Stardust and MVG...my mistake if I messed up on the white markings, but up in the corner of this page on the right it shows Nicky having less white than Lentenor. And then I realized just now that the names are under the wrong horses with a > pointing to which is which. Like...ok... I need to read these posts at an earlier time than at midnight when I am half asleep and being a new poster am overwhelmed in reading all the posts too. I just know that no matter what I hope I live to see another Triple Crown winner. My first was seeing Secretariat. I was watching the race with my grandmother and thats all it took for me to start following the races each year. Does anyone here have the Triple Crown book they put out with a DVD showing all the Triple Crown Winners so far? Its a great book.

13 Mar 2009 8:20 PM
gammyp6

This is good news. Happy news. Enough doom and gloom for the day. That is what news telecasts and newspapers promote- constantly. It is all about hope. Finding hope in the smallest thing. Like in the  birth of a foal. What is wrong with that?

13 Mar 2009 10:21 PM
tati

I'm so happy about the new baby! La Ville Rouge and her foals will always have a special place in my heart.

Actually, I had a question. Does anyone know exactly how talle Barbaro was? I always thought he was like 16.3 or so. And I've seen Nicanor in person twice now and he actually looks a little small to me, but I've heard others say he's close to 17 hands too, anyone got the final verdict? Lentenor resembles Barbaro more in body type doesnt he?

14 Mar 2009 4:26 PM
MLS

I picked Barbaro for the Derby.  Friends who were not in agreement with me had to eat their hats.  Barbaro may have become more famous for the accident, but plenty of fans knew him for his racing.  I still contend that he is good for racing and that his full siblings are too.  Thoroughbred racing needs a boost and if the public gains more interest through Barbaro's siblings, I'm all for it.  Have fun with it!  Hopefully, fans will be encouraged to attend their local race tracks, betting, ownership, DONATIONS TO YOUR FAVORITE CAUSE and, very possibly take qualified riding lessons and eventually ownership of their own retired race horse for sport (not to be taken lightly).  Are you able to find out something more about Man In Havana?  The 5 W's of writing...  Could be interesting.  The best show horse I ever had (unfortunately, now deceased) was a fabulously bred gelding who ended his career as a "rabbit".  I was so fortunate to have had him!  Several blogs ago, someone wrote a comment that downgraded horses that show, fox hunt, event, etc.  Please understand that horses retired from racing that meet the needs of a new career are a very good thing.  A TB that doesn't make it in racing can be a very valuable partner in other sports.  Shame on those who think that horses are only good for racing.  Without former race horses under me, I would have never had the great fun and success that is the biggest part of my life.  Amanda, please keep the good photos coming.  The visuals are fantastic.  My apologies to those who are reading this in Braille.  Lastly, health to all!

14 Mar 2009 5:06 PM
evelynmcfeely

Congratulations on another delivery, Roy and Gretchen!!(Gretchen they are supposed to get easier as they progress but for some reason they seem to get harder on us!) Was there a delivery issue with LVR I missed? Hate to even think it, but she may be about done foaling? Hope not, who has that Macanor on reserve, anyway? Hope it would be you Roy and Gretchen for maybe, just one more foal of Dynaf. and LVR. If not? Sad someone else got in the mix. I would like to see a Dynaformer and Rags little sibling...interesting. That Rags has a big heart. Glad she didn't burst at the end of that race with Curlin. He is a big bruiser, but the Lady pulled it off. I don't think I yelled so loud in any one race as that, or cried for so many days with Barbaro's last...Good luck Jackson's, sire and mare and foals galore, and all who are in "the stable".

14 Mar 2009 5:06 PM
margies

congradulations to the new baby brother and mommy la rouge i cant wait for pics and to watch him run to the young prince run fast run true runsafe and i pray for strong legs love you

14 Mar 2009 6:07 PM
Megan

OMG!! Cant wait to see photos. Maybe next year, they will have a filly.. I want to see a little filly be born! I was so happy when nicanor raced! He did wonderful

15 Mar 2009 11:31 AM
MVH, CA

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICANOR! (Yesterday was his 3rd Birthday.) WE LOVE YOU1

A friend from ABR told me that HRTV announcers were extremely enthused and complimentary about Nicanor this weekend.  They talked about his great potential, his rally at the end, and his gallop out.  They feel he is going to be a very good race horse and will start winning soon.

15 Mar 2009 12:26 PM
Driftin Sage

Congratulations on another!  We will all follow the progress of these beautiful creatures, I'm sure...even "Yawn", who I also thought had awakened, but maybe "Yawn" just  really needs a good nap.

15 Mar 2009 1:40 PM
Kathy

Ragsy, Yawn definitely does have the right to be sarcastic, but I should be alert enough to recognize it. That means I need one good swift kick in the rear by Dynaformer to wake up and smell the coffee grinds that people sometime shovel before me.

15 Mar 2009 2:44 PM
Lou

Love the whole Barbaro Family and wish them the very best. HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICANOR....we love you. Glad you're finally 3 years old offically.

15 Mar 2009 8:08 PM
MJ

Happy 3rd Birthday to Nicanor..March 15TH

15 Mar 2009 9:33 PM
stardust

Ragsy

Didn't we already figure this out once?  Is it Curlin?  I know that we talked about a new breeder for LVR when Dynaformer quits on her.  I need to head over to the wedding blog to see who that was.  :)

15 Mar 2009 10:59 PM
stardust

Kathy

I agree with you except for one thing.  Roy and Gretchen are very well reading these blogs.  I don't feel that it is right for people to put down their horses in blogs created for their horses.  I feel that is bad manners and it surly isn't fair to them.  Just my opinion.

16 Mar 2009 11:36 AM
stardust

Today is Nicanors B-day. Happy happy Birthday big guy.  Love you with all of my heart and you have a place in there right along with your brothers and mom and dad.  Just keep being you and that is all I ask for.  I don't expect a mirical, you are loved just the way you are and have been since before you were born.  You are such a famous horse.  Lots of carrotts and apples for you today Nicky and I hope you have a wonderful B-day.  :)

16 Mar 2009 11:59 AM
Ragsy

Kathy, I should not have written that. My apology. Please, no Dynaformer kick I do believe that would be very harmful, such a tough fella ..

I am begining to worry about the baby.

16 Mar 2009 1:32 PM
Another Yawn

Woohoo!!  I think this newborn foal is the REAL DEAL!  I think he can win the Derby, Preakness and the Belmont and possibly the Indy 500..if given the right training Wimbledon is not out of the question.....and I expect him to be able to accomplish this as a yearling no less....this is the greatest thing that has ever happened and I heard there are 3 wise men making there way now to the farm......YAHOO!!!

16 Mar 2009 2:11 PM
CAROL, NYC

MAY GOD BLESS LE VILLE ROUGE, HER NEW FOAL AND THEIR ENTIRE FAMILY!

16 Mar 2009 2:53 PM
stardust

Another Yawn...

We love this baby and we love the family.  Most of us do.  Please try to have respect for Roy and Gretchen Jackson and the connections that are involved with these wonderful horses. The baby is loved and this baby will be what he is.

16 Mar 2009 2:56 PM
JAJ

Another Yawn, you are funny.

As someone in the industry I understand where your post came from.  At the same time, horseracing needs those horse-crazy little girls, boys, men and women, who know nothing about racehorses and racing--yet.

I think we who have some understanding of horseracing owe it to the sport to support these newcomers and teach them what we know.

Horseracing needs its fans.  Help enlighten them.

16 Mar 2009 3:24 PM
Kathy

Ragsy,

No worries. I like the old guy known as Dynaformer. If I had the money, I would go visit him. Besides the Jackson's don't own Dynaformer and whereas Dynaformer has bad habits, I've never heard people mention kicking, although he probably does. I just find it fun to bring up Dynaformer's irascibility. He doesn't take any B.S. from any one. And for a horse who cannot be considered one of the better race horse on the track in the late eighties, you got to give it to him as he's got a big stall, a large paddock, three squares, all of the sweet feed any horse can want, and only bugged by humans when he wants to be bugged by them, well, you got to give a standing ovation to the horse. And he booked solid year after year, so he has all the mares any stallion could want.

I've never heard anyone discuss Dynaformer's conformation and since I don't know about that, I can only surmise that and his bloodline is the reason Dynaformer got his gig at Three Chimneys.

And I don't take me literally on being kicked by Dynaformer because I would never ever be positioned near his back end or his front end. I would be waving 20 feet away because that is as close as the public is allowed to get to the big guy.

Just sign me a big fan of Dynaformer

16 Mar 2009 3:47 PM
Kathy

And Ragsy, don't worry about the baby. La Ville Rouge appears to having a calming effect on her children. I have a feeling that although DNA plays a part in how stallions act when they grow up, I think the mare plays a major part in how her foals act around humans. Does mommy shy or run when a human approaches or does she go to them willingly. I can only guess that La Ville Rouge has an excellent repoire with her handlers and that is why the Brother's Bee are so comfortable with human contact. I can only surmise that Dynaformer's mom wasn't as trusting. It is a pitty that the mare's aren't written about as much as the stallions. One could probably gain insight into the behavior of stallions if the mares were written about more.

16 Mar 2009 4:06 PM
jackie Fan of Nicanor

Hey My birthday is March 29th I'm glad i am sharing the month of my birthday with Nicanor.  Happy Birthday to you Nick

16 Mar 2009 5:13 PM
pearly

i like the name dynarouge. or freight train, Congrts lvr happy b day margano.

16 Mar 2009 6:16 PM
Brettzky99

Yawn & Another Yawn,

Please advise us on your asessment of this new colt's potential value at auction as a yearling, even though he would never be available; or since you don't have a photo, why don't you substitute Lentenor's yearling photo from the Mill Ridge website.  I would be curious to hear your opinion.

16 Mar 2009 6:38 PM
Ragsy

Kathy: many thanks for your wonderful,informative response... I love Dynaformer also, he is the greatest....along with that wonderous mare La Ville Rouge....Dynaformer must be dangerous if one can only view him from 20 foot away...guess, he's no pet horse...

16 Mar 2009 8:51 PM
Barb

I love Barbaro (check out last vowel of both of our first names), but when does this continual insemmination of LVR become animal abuse?  Three colts in five years, at approx. 142 lbs per, is LVR becoming nothing more than a Barbaro-like "baby factory" and to what purpose?  So that the Jacksons might be able to re-create the original? Seems abusive to me.

16 Mar 2009 8:52 PM
manowar4ever

Congrats to all the connections for both mares. A girl and a boy. Safely delivered. Grow strong and stay healthy. We hope to see and hear more of both (when available).

Kathy, just looked at a picture of Mr. D. His conformation is good, but I think the boys have taken after their mom as they seem to be a little more balanced than dad. It could have been the picture, too. Sometimes the pictures aren't in the best light. But, they have, so far, taken after him in height. Which, if I remember correctly, was one of the reasons for the first breeding.

Again, congrats to all. New ones to watch over. I love it!

17 Mar 2009 12:11 AM
JAJ

Kathy wrote:

"And for a horse who cannot be considered one of the better race horse on the track in the late eighties..." in reference to Dynaformer.

I beg to differ.

Dynaformer's record from 30 starts is 7 wins (3 of them stakes) 5 seconds (2 of them stakes) and 2 third place finished (one being in a stakes).

He won two Grade 2 races, placed in another.  In one stakes, the mile and an eighth Lucky Draw, he equaled the track record.

Any horse that wins a graded stakes and earns almost $700,000 in the 80s is a pretty good racehorse.  He won two graded stakes and placed in two others.  Plus, he equaled a track record.  Almost all his wins and were on the dirt.

17 Mar 2009 6:23 AM
Wanda

Anything bred along the Roberto line has a less than sunny disposition. However for the most part they are racehorses and who cares if their not pleasant as long as they can run.

17 Mar 2009 10:57 AM
Greg J.

BARB, I honestly wish you would do your homework on Horse Breeding PLEASE !!!, I am not going to repeat the obvious, But TRUST ME, LVR is not(AS YOU SAY), "A BABY FACTORY", I really wish people would study The Breeding of TB'S before leaving such a dispicable remark.....Thanks!

17 Mar 2009 11:51 AM

DYNAFORMER: BY SIRE ROBERTO 1969, DAM: ANDOVER WAY BY HIS MAJESTY

A DYNASTY ALL HIS OWN......

RACE AND STAKES RECORD...

AGE..STARTS..1ST..2ND..3RD..EARNED.

Gallant Fox H, G2

General Georgs S, Equals track record at Aqueduct for 9 F. in 1:48 2/5

At 4 years of age: 1989

3rd:  Dixie H. G2

new course record at Keeneland for abt. 12f on turf in 2:32 3/5

Offspring Earnings Total 80,047,941

I am a Dynaformer Fan now and for always, he is Royality and deserves respect for his accomplishments....  Thank You!!!

17 Mar 2009 11:52 AM
JAJ

Barb,

La Ville Rouge's job is as a broodmare.  It is normal for mares to produce foals every year.  It is not abusive at all.

A broodmare like LVR has a WONDERFUL life.  She has the best diet, the best vet care, regular visits from a farrier.  She lives in a big field with a group of equally well-cared for mares that she has developed intense social bonds with.

Believe me, if I had to choose the best life for one of my retired racehorses, it would be as a well-cared for broodmare at a top-class breeding farm.

Her last foal was pretty big.  They will be very careful that she is fully healed before they breed her back.

17 Mar 2009 1:22 PM
Kathy

JAJ, you are correct, I have a habit of overstating or understating my what I have to say. Last time we chatted, I overstated and now I understated things a bit. Instead of better, I should have used best as when I was comparing apples and oranges in my brain, Dynaformer didn't quite measure up to Alysheba, Winning Colors and Sunday Silence, at least in the money department. Don't get me wrong, I think Dynaformer is pretty doggone good, I just think he didn't care much for racing.

But I have a question for you, what makes a good stallion as opposed to a so-so stallion? So if a law were pass tomorrow that said here are the qualifications of a good stallion and if your horse doesn't have these traits, he gets gelded.

17 Mar 2009 1:31 PM
JAJ

www.bloodhorse.com/.../rags-filly-taking-after-her-mother

Barb,

In case you don't believe me, go to the Blood-Horse article on Rags to Riches' new foal.  At the bottom of the article on the left is a link to 23 pictures.  The first 10 or 15 pictures shows a day in the life of Rags to Riches before she foaled.  It will give you a pretty good idea of what La Ville Rouge's life is like.

LVR may not be stabled at night.  Many feel that horses are much healthier and happier outside 24/7 with a proper run in shed to protect them from the elements and the wind.  The farm manager of the farm where I board my one broodmare keeps mares outside (with lots of staff to check them day and night) until they are close to foaling.  He is an equine vet, and more than qualified to judge what is best for a mare.

17 Mar 2009 1:43 PM
horsenut23

Amanda:

Great photos of Rags and her foal, hopefully this means pics of LVR and babynor will be here soon?

Thanks!

17 Mar 2009 2:12 PM
SQ

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Please

17 Mar 2009 2:22 PM
stardust

Barb

I really would listen to JAJ because there is knowedge there that I am baffled at.  LRV is NOT being abused and for anyone to even think that is absurd!

Greg.  I hear ya.  They would never abuse a mare like her.  Where in the world do people come up with this kind of stuff.

If anyone for one second thinks that they don't take exellent care of LVR then think again.  She is better taken care of than most horses.  NO WAY would they do anything to jepordize her health. I cannot believe my eyes here.  UN0-REAL!

JAJ thanks for putting up that article on Bloodhorse and Greg thanks for your imput.  People need to listen to people that KNOW what they are talking about.  :)

I don't know a lot about this stuff but I sure do listen to people that do when they are civil about it.  JAJ has been very productive in her posts and I have learned a lot there. Education is priceless.  Listen to the people that are in the know.  The only time I have a problem is when I am being put down when I don't know something and I ask a question.  I am always willing to learn.

17 Mar 2009 2:33 PM
JAJ

Kathy,

I don't think you are ever going to see a law passed where a "poor" stallion is gelded.  The free market rewards "good" stallions with lots of breeders paying to breed to those stallion.

Your question, "what are the qualifications of a good stallion," appears pretty straight forward.  It is not!  It is an incredibly complicated question.

First, you have to look at who is judging this stallion.

Is it the commercial breeder?  A commercial breeder has different goals than one who breeds to race.

Commercial breeders breed foals to sell at the yearling sales.  They do not generally race their produce.  A good stallion to a commercial breeder is a stallion that gets a yearling that sells for something like 3 times the stud fee plus about $15,000.  A good stallion brings the commercial breeder a big profit.

The Green Monkey was a home-run horse for a lot of people, with the exception of the last people who bought him.  He never won a single race although he sold for a world-record price for a 2-year old in training (something like $16 million).

For the breeder who breeds to race his foals, a good stallion is one who gets a profitable racehorse.

There are all kinds of statistical tools to judge the stallion.

Here are a few:

Average Earning Index:  That is an index where a stallion's foals' earnings are compared to the earnings of other stallions.  The AEI of 1.0 is average, so AEI above 1.0 is better than average.  Here are some examples of AEI based on stats from the Blood-Horse Stallion Register for this breeding season:

Dyndaformer: 2.16

Norther Dancer:  5.10

Mr. Prospector:  3.99

Raise a Native:  2.34

Native Dancer:  4.06

Danzig:  4.10

A P Indy:  3.17

A breeder can look at the lifetime earnings of a stallion's offspring.  All this data is published and freely available.

You can look at the sales analysis of a stallion--just how much the stallion's foals, yearlings, 2 year olds and mares in foal to the stallion sold for.

The number and percentage of stakes winners  from foals are published.  So is the percentage of runners, winners and 2-year old winners.

A good stallion for my breeding program might not be a good stallion for someone else and we can both be correct.

17 Mar 2009 2:40 PM
Greg J.

JAJ, Well Said on LVR !, Could Not have said it any better, thanks....

17 Mar 2009 2:45 PM
Greg J.

Amanda, Thanks for Article on Rags and baby Filly!!, Awesome Pictures of Rags to Riches, And "WOW", One Beautiful Baby, Looks just like Mom...Thanks again Amanda!(Article & Pictures of LVR/Baby Next?)

17 Mar 2009 2:52 PM
Kathy

JAJ,

So, I believe what I hear you saying is that it is okay to geld the non-producing males of any age, but once they atart producing, i.e., become stallions they are pretty much off limits. I guess my question should have been, how does one pick a horse to become a producer. In other words which ones do you geld and which one do you allow to be stallions. Thank you for answering the first part of the question.

17 Mar 2009 3:13 PM
Marigold

It was at about 1 week that we saw those adorable photos and video of Lentenor, wasn't it?  Are Mom and baby still doing well?

17 Mar 2009 3:42 PM
horsenut23

JAJ,Wanda:

I just read that Unbridled Belle will be bred to A.P.Indy, then returned to training and that she'll retire in August. Do they breed and then return to training often? I know us humans will continue to excerise and such, but not sure about horses.

17 Mar 2009 3:57 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

horsenut23 - Regarding Unbridled Belle, it isn't common but it isn't uncommon either, if that makes sense. There have been several high profile mares that have raced after being bred. The one that first comes to mind is Spain, who won the 2000 Distaff and retired as the richest racemare in North America (at that time) a few years later. She was bred to Storm Cat in 2002 and went on to win the grade II Fleur de Lis before being retired. She is now the dam of two stakes winners, Plan and Dreamtheimpossible.

Hope this helps.

17 Mar 2009 4:08 PM
JAJ

Hi Kathy,

The answers to the questions you've asked could fill books written by real experts, and I don't consider myself one.  Such a complex subject!

If I understand your question, you are asking which racehorses does one geld as yearlings and which does one leave as colts because they might make it in the breeding shed.  Is that what you are asking?

Again, it depends on the viewpoint of the owner and trainer.  My trainer wants them all gelded.  Very few are worthy of standing at stud, so keep their racing uncomplicated and just geld them.  They will likely have longer race careers because they will remain easy to handle and won't bulk up.  Sometimes stallions can't run because they just get too heavy.  More weight on their legs means more injuries.

Virtually none of the million dollar yearlings will be gelded because they are being bought for their stallion potential.

Does that help?

17 Mar 2009 4:10 PM
Kathy

JAJ, you've answered my question. Thank you very much.

17 Mar 2009 4:23 PM
Lou

Thanks Amanda for the great story on Rags's filly and the pictures. Looks like they are both doing great.

Do you have any idea when the Jackson's & Chandler's will let us see the new Babynor? We are trying really hard not to presssure you but it's been a whole week. Thanks for all the blogs on the Barbaro family. I've had to start a third notebook with all the writings & pictures. I print them all out for my Granddaughter who is a big fan of all the Barbaro family.

17 Mar 2009 11:47 PM
JAJ

Kathy,

There were a couple of points I forgot to add in your question on which colts are gelded and which are not.

Another reason to geld is that except for a very few, virtually all colts are going to need to find careers after racing that does not include breeding.

People looking to rehome off track thoroughbreds will pass over the ungelded colt because he won't have a termperament that is likely to attract anyone to buy/rehome him.  Of course, once gelded he will be just a sweetie after he rids himself of his male sex hormones.  Someone looking to pick up a future riding horse for free or next to nothing is not going to consider a colt that needs a few hundred dollars of surgery, time and special handling before they can really evaluate his temperament.

18 Mar 2009 7:16 AM
BigMommaLovesHorses

I just saw the baby pictures of Rags To Riches's baby. Adorable!!!!  Now it got me to thinking what is going to happen in 3 threes from now.  Little baby brother of Barbaro and little Rags to Riches. This should be very interesting especially since Rags beat Curlin.  I am thinking possible filly in the Triple Crown now in 3 yrs entered with all the boys?  Can't wait to see the baby pictures of La Ville Rouges's foal.

18 Mar 2009 7:20 AM
HorseFirst

JAJ-

I'm referencing your response to me on another Nicanor blog about gelding.

Believe me, I know all the reasons to geld and most stallions should be gelded. I've seen horses left entire with a front leg problem because they had a "lot of muscle" and are what the judges in the ring want. (QH/Paint) So it's not just the TB industry that needs to clean up its act.  And people breeding mares with severely  crooked legs but because they've got the current "fad" lines, in the shed they go and I've seen one with legs so bad I doubt she was ever ridden. (QH)

But, I guess I didn't phrase the question right.  Is a race horse that is a potential stud prospect (Maybe) gelded only to get better performance on the track, or ALSO because he's just a pill off the track too and a danger to those around him, on and off the track.

Does it take both reasons, or only one?

Thanks so much for your patient and informative replies.

18 Mar 2009 2:27 PM
JAJ

HorseFirst,

I'm not really clear what you are asking.

Deciding to geld a colt is made by individuals who all come together with their own biases and hopes and dreams.  Realistic expectations may not enter into the decision.

I think if you left the decision to the trainers, you would find almost all colts gelded by the time they were two.  They are easier to deal with, calmer, safer to work around and probably are better racehorses.  (That last bit is my hypothesis.)  They certainly are happier.

The people who own the horses are rarely horsemen and women.  To many owners, they are afraid of losing that chance that the colt could be syndicated for a kazillion dollars.  You can't put them back on once you cut them off.  The owners may not be aware of the added stresses and risks a colt is subject to.  Trainers aren't always honest to their owners.  Most owners are men and I think men have a thing about castrating, lol.

Owning racehorses is built on hopes and dreams.  There is always the 'what if' factor when making decisions.

One of the things I like about racehorses is that they are judged by what they do on the racetrack--how much money they won and in what company they won against.

Really talented racehorses come in a variety of shapes and sizes.  Few have been exceedingly well conformed, Buckpasser being the exception.  Everyone is afraid to geld the next Northern Dancer or Mr. Prospector.

18 Mar 2009 5:17 PM
Marigold

Interesting exchanges and very informative.  But it brings a question to my mind:  If testosterone may eventually become a factor in Nicanor, Lentenor, and Babynor, could that present a problem if Nicanor's racing career extends beyond age 3?

19 Mar 2009 1:59 PM
HorseFirst

JAJ-

Thank you. You answered my question far better with more information than I could have hoped for.  I understand a little better now, and assume that trainer and staff would put up with even the "dangerous" type stallion if it was a world beater.

20 Mar 2009 4:18 PM
Ondrea Culp

03-24-09 CONGRATS on the new baby boy. I wish I could see pictures. PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T MAKE HIM RACE! I know it's your business, but he can do anything - EVENT, JUMP, ETC. Mr. Matz is a GREAT jumper trainer. I was DEVESTATED  over Barbaro's fate. I still cry when I think of him today. Thanks, OC

22 Mar 2009 8:50 AM
Lou

Amanda, is there something going on with our new Babynor? We are all trying not to be pushy but when are we going to see pictures?

Thanks for the info on Nicanor. I love the picture. Sounds like he might be getting started on his training for another race. Glad MM is taking it easy on him.

22 Mar 2009 4:29 PM
nannie284

Are we going to get baby pics soon?  I'd love to see him.  I've seen Rag's filly and she's a beauty, just like momma!  Where is our baby pic?

22 Mar 2009 5:54 PM
~Nicole~

Can;t wait for pics and I can't believe that! I just turned 14 the 9th of March!!!

Kentucky Derby 2012, here he comes!

~Nicole, 14

22 Mar 2009 8:31 PM
rlidley31

Congratulations to LVR on her new arrival...I know he is beautiful too!

Certainly the Jacksons are wonderful people & will love all the brothers of Barbaro too! Hope they all do as well as Barbaro did.

22 Mar 2009 9:37 PM
nannie284

Baby, baby, where are  you????  I am not so patiently waiting!  We've been waiting for you for a long time.  In honor of your Mom and Dad, I've been calling you Dyna-ville as I'm sure you will make them proud!  Will we have pics soon?  Are Momma and son doing okay?  I'm getting worried!

23 Mar 2009 5:35 PM
Jo

That poor mare.  What is it?  About 90% of her life has been spent pregnant?  Geez!  Give her a year off already.

23 Mar 2009 6:11 PM

JAJ:

( I am learning about horses )

I just read an article on the horse.com and it was a study of wild horses in New Zealand: healthiest mares at conception are more likely to have a colt.  Mares gaining wt at time of conception 80% had a colt while only 3% had a colt if mares were losing wt.

their reason was that strong mares will produce strong foals and a strong colt would be able to spread the mares bloodline more than a strong filly,

this is a very interesting report cause I thought only the stallion would produce the sex of the mares foal..

whatcha think about this???

Thank you!!

24 Mar 2009 11:09 AM
Ragsy

nothing poor about that mare named La Ville Rouge.

24 Mar 2009 11:46 AM
JAJ

Hi Ragsy,

I read the same article.  I think the gist of the article said that mares gaining weight were more likely to have one sex foal, while mares losing weight were more likely to have the other sex foal.

Lots of things influence the sex of a foal--things like the acidity of the vaginal tract.  I could easily see that gaining or losing weight would slightly alter the ph of a mare's reproductive tract.

24 Mar 2009 1:32 PM
Ragsy

Gosh there is some news about the little one.....

OK, the new baby has had a fever and has been kept quiet. Next week they will try and release pictures of the little one. ( news that I got from ABR )

24 Mar 2009 2:20 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Ragsy - When I mentioned there was a scheduling conflict, that was what it was...the baby wanted the schedule changed!

I didn't want to cause an upset over something that is equivalent to waking up with a minor cold (or some other common relatively harmless but annoying illness)on class picture day. I hope you understand.

24 Mar 2009 5:15 PM
Ragsy

Yes Amanda I do understand.

Now, what I am going to say is not meant to be ugly in any manner. Just my feelings which are neither right nor wrong.

When the behavior of Mill Ridge and the Jackson's change by not releasing pictures of Babynor one only has to figure that something is wrong.  It does not mean that folks will panic its just that they are concerned, and only want what is best for the new foal.

With holding that information can sometimes cause more stress than the truth.

24 Mar 2009 5:49 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Ragsy - It was up to Mill Ridge to decide if they wanted that released to the general public.

It is a fact that some - not all - fans of this family feel it is their right to know everything that is going on, and that simply isn't the case. Thank you.

25 Mar 2009 8:32 AM
Greg J.

Ragsy,

“Patience and perseverance have a magical effect

before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.”

PLEASE keep this in mind in regards to LVR & Baby......

Amanda has said more then once, that this time of year is crazy busy for Mill Ridge...

I just wish EVERYONE here would understand how unique and special this blog is and that "WE" don't/can't dictate what is to come...It must be so frustrating for Amanda at times to repeat herself over & over...

REMEMBER, We are lucky to get this kind of access into the lives of these wonderful creatures, and just be patient.....that's all, thanks....

25 Mar 2009 9:36 AM
Ragsy

Yes, that is what I mean Amanda.

25 Mar 2009 9:58 AM
Lou

Amanda

Thanks for being so patient with us. We just love this family so much that sometimes we forget that it's not our own. You are right in that it's up to those who care for this beautiful family to make the decisions. We are just lucky to have you keep ua as well informed as you do. I think you can tell by our comments that we all just want what's right for Mom and Babynor. Thanks again.

25 Mar 2009 12:04 PM
JAJ

I just thought I would pass on some information about what is normal for a foal the age of LVR's.

About 10 or 12 days after foaling, the foal will develop what is known as "foal heat diarrhea" (because it happens around the time the mama comes into her foal heat.

No one really knows why this happens--some believe it is some change in the milk brought on by the mare's heat cycle, or the foal's gastrointestinal tract becomes inoculated by the bacteria that is normal in a healthy GI tract, or they pick up some pathogen.  Bottom line, no one really knows why, but they do know it virtually always happens.

Most foals are not bothered very much by this diarrhea, but for some reason, some foals get quite sick.  It can be so bad that it burns the hair off the foal's back side, although a liberal coating of Vaseline can help prevent that.  It is something that needs to be dealt with, but is rarely a big deal.

Breeding farms aren't big on having visitors tromping through their barns and fields.  With the visitors come pathogens that the farm horses may have not been exposed to.

Those are a couple of reasons I can see why Millridge might not be thrilled to have "us" in their barn.

I hope I am not overstepping in offering these opinions and bits of information.

25 Mar 2009 12:29 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Lou - No worries, LVR and her foal are both fine. Like I said, it would be like if you had to have your photo taken on a day where you had the sniffles (or some such). Nothing major, and nothing to worry about, but not the day you want your photo taken for all the world to see either! Mill Ridge has approved photos, just waiting for timing to be right for everyone invovled. I hope that eases your mind.

25 Mar 2009 1:18 PM

JAJ:

once again, thanks to you for reasonable understandable information.

Greg J.:

I understand what your saying, but thats how I felt, not, how I was reacting.  Thank you but I am not raising hell about the pictures of the baby not being available, just go and look at other area's and you will see what I mean.  I was only stating feelings and feelings are neither right or wrong, sounds like folks dont get it. .   psychology 101...........

25 Mar 2009 4:35 PM
Greg J.

Ragsy,

I wasn't saying you were raising hell, My comment was just for everyone to be patient. I have seen at least 15 comments(from others, not you) wanting pictures, and Amanda had said this is a busy time right now, I just wish others would read comments a little closer, that's all  :)

25 Mar 2009 5:27 PM
Azureblu

Nicanor is entered in the 5th race at Gulfstream on Sat. Mar. 28.  It's a Maiden Special Weight, one mile.  Jose Lezcano is riding.  Good Luck Nicky!!

25 Mar 2009 9:50 PM
Lou

Thanks Amanda ...

I'm sure we all feel better knowing it's nothing serious. We'll wait even more patiently now that we know the circumstances. Babynor and LVR definitely come first. I'm sure when the pictures do come out we'll forget all about having to wait.  In the mean time,  thanks for keeping us informed about Nicanor. He's still in our thoughts as well as Lentenor. It's getting harder trying to keep up with all the brothers but we do it with pleasure & love.

26 Mar 2009 2:08 AM
Lou

Hey All

Nicanor is going to race this Sat. the 29th at Gulfstream in Race 5, Post #3 @ 3:11 with Jose Lezcano aboard.

Wish him his 1st win and a safe ride home.

26 Mar 2009 2:32 AM
Penny in Texas

JAJ, thank you for the explanation about the foal heat explanation. You give a lot of information about some of the concerns we may have, very useful.  Amanda, we must wear you out!  thank you for the pictures and info you post here.  You are appreciated.

26 Mar 2009 1:19 PM
Marigold

Amanda, despite all the speculation about Babynor, it would do our hearts good ( and ease our minds) to know that he is all right.  Mill Ridge is ignoring all the emails asking about his condition, which is anxiety provoking.  Pictures can wait til they are convenient.  But could we know if he's all right?

30 Mar 2009 4:52 PM
Ragsy

Marigold perhaps folks emailing and calling is why the pictures have not been given out.  You know, enough is enough for all we know he may be dead.  Just leave it alone.

31 Mar 2009 11:22 AM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Ragsy and Marigold - The colt is not dead! And neither is La Ville Rouge. I spoke to Mill Ridge yesterday.

31 Mar 2009 11:24 AM
Ragsy

Amanda I know what a trial we put you through, I really did not mean that the baby was dead, just tired of all asking for pictures.  I am sorry.

31 Mar 2009 11:36 AM
Lou

Now that we know the condition of Babynor we need to give Amanda a break. She's doing the best job ever in keeping us informed. Let's focus on the wedding again.

I still need help in finding a second horse to ride in the trail ride besides Curlin. Have any suggestions?

Hope everybody has a Happy Easter!!

01 Apr 2009 8:22 PM
BigMommaLovesHorses

Hey... maybe they are saving the pictures for the Kentucky Derby to show a little film clip like they did with Lentenor when he was born. I am pretty darn sure if something was wrong it would have come to our emails (for those who are signed up to receive alerts and daily updates). I am sure he is doing ok. And Mom too. I just think that perhaps with all the focus going on over Nicky racing and Lentenor getting ready soon to start training and it being foaling time that they are just waiting to let the world see him. I think it was very nice that Barbaro was mentioned in the Florida Derby at the beginning of the race last weekend. So you can see everyone is still comparing the "boys" to him and perhaps the Jacksons are hoping that stops. After all, every foal by La Ville Rouge and Dynaformer is going to be compared to Barbaro.  And I bet the Jacksons wish they wouldn't. But I am sure we will see pictures soon. No news is good news.

02 Apr 2009 5:29 AM
Azureblu

Amanda, I know that this is probably not the venue for this but

I don't know where to go.  Today the Montana legislators passed the

bill to legalize a horse slaughterhouse.  The bill also plug

-ged any possible legal hole to prevent lawsuits against it.  Their excuse for this is that the ranchers complain that they have no way to get rid of their old horses.  Like this is the right

way to thank these horses that spent their lives working for the

ingrates.  Montana's economy is

based on tourism and I ask every person that loves horses to avoid Montana,do not vacation here as long as this slaughter

house is legal.  I tried to find a

web site for people to express

their feelings and tell these jerks that Montana won't get

their money until this is overturned.  This has worked before so please help it help our

horses!

09 Apr 2009 1:56 AM
sony

Montana Gov. veto'ed the bill and the House rejected the changes so the bill is back in the Senate.... who knows where it will end, it must be rewritten.....or tossed out which is the better option.....

God Bless all of La Ville Rouge's baby's...Its ok Ragsy, the little one is doing just fine, sneaked a peak....love ya Ragsy!!!! shame on the others!!!!

09 Apr 2009 4:55 PM
Glassoniongirl

I wonder whatthey`d get if they crossed Rags To Riches with Curlin...

18 Apr 2009 1:13 PM
BigMommaLovesHorses

Glassoniongirl...I was wondering the same thing. I heard she was booked already to another horse for this year though.

20 Apr 2009 1:15 AM
Ragsy

Rags2Riches next fella is Henry The Navigator, but Curlin and her would make some wonderful horses and thats my thoughts only...

20 Apr 2009 4:11 PM
Jo

I wonder what they would get if they crossed Rags To Riches with Big Brown because big brown won the derby and preakness and rags to ritches won he belmont

21 Apr 2009 11:49 AM
Ragsy

Look at Big Browns pedigree and then ask!

Rags2Riches is superior!!

21 Apr 2009 6:25 PM
Ragsy

Ok, so we have a La Ville Rouge offspring colt, that looks like his daddy, Dynaformer, does that mean he will have an attitude to match Dynaformer???

25 Apr 2009 3:11 PM
BigMommaLovesHorses

Ok... I read on the website of Mill Ridge Farms that the foal was born with cracked ribs because he was so big and that he had an infection and had to have surgery on the 23rd.  Could this be true as it is posted in the guestbook.

26 Apr 2009 1:45 PM
aduckworth@bloodhorse.com

Big Momma - Yes, it is true, and was reported a while ago. Please visit the following link for more information: cs.bloodhorse.com/.../checking-in-on-lentenor-and-la-ville-rouge.aspx

26 Apr 2009 1:59 PM
BigMommaLovesHorses

thanks for the info. I don't get to read all the blogs and when I saw this was curious. I knew the baby had an infection. Thanks for the link.

27 Apr 2009 12:11 PM