Barbaro's Memorial

Today was the public unveiling of a larger-than-life bronze statue of Barbaro. The memorial is located just outside of Churchill Downs, near the entrance of the Kentucky Derby Museum.

To read about the unveiling, please visit: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50427/churchill-downs-unveils-barbaro-statue

The unveiling is also shown at the end of the following video: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/videos/watch/E38F8A49-31DA-4EBA-B8A0-03B4EBDD804B

The statue, which showcases Barbaro and jockey Edgar Prado in mid-flight between strides nearing the finish line of the 2006 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), will become the focal point of Barbaro’s official memorial and burial site at Churchill Downs.

Barbaro’s ashes are interred beneath the bronze’s base. The statue is attached to a horizontal bronze rail that supports the 1,500-pound artwork and creates an impression that Barbaro and his rider are suspended in air. It is the first time that an equine statue of this size and scope has been presented in this manner, with all four of the horse’s feet off the ground.

I know many of you have been anticipating Barbaro’s memorial. Feel free to post comments and thoughts here.

Below are a few photos, all of which are courtesy of Reed Palmer and Churchill Downs.

stardust

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh I just asked this question on another thread.  Thank You Amanda!!!!!

Today is such a wonderful day for our boy.

26 Apr 2009 10:43 AM
Roseann

I wish there was video to watch of the unveiling.

26 Apr 2009 10:45 AM
Alex

Barbaro was a great horse. I'am so glad he got a statue built in his honour. He captured my heart along with the world. My room is dedicated to barbaro with books, pictures, and home made tributes to him. God bless barbaro I love you. From Alexandra of Winnipeg Manitoba Canada.

26 Apr 2009 10:52 AM
Meleah

Yea Barbaro was a very special horse how's Lentenor? and what's the baby foals name?

26 Apr 2009 10:54 AM
aspradling

We are grabbing some footage, so hopefully todays news minute will reveal it to you all.

26 Apr 2009 10:58 AM

Roseann

I am working on trying to find something about this.  I think it will make the news.

Amanda?  Do you know of anything?

26 Apr 2009 11:04 AM
Joan

I wish there was a video, too.  They ought to make a DVD and sell it with the proceeds going to laminitis research/New Bolton.

26 Apr 2009 11:05 AM
Ragsy

Check out HRTV perhaps they will cover part of the services for Barbaro...

Just look at the pedigree of General Quarters....

26 Apr 2009 11:08 AM
Karen in Texas

A unique memorial for a unique and special horse. He will be there always at the site of the most significant victory of his undefeated career! I hope to visit soon.

26 Apr 2009 11:13 AM
Kathryn

Thanks for the article.  Great to see the champion remembered.

26 Apr 2009 11:21 AM
stardust

A video for Barbaro.  I will make another one but this one kind of fits the day...

www.youtube.com/watch

Let it BE!  :-)  It was suppose to happen just the way it did.  God knew what he was doing when he took our Barbaro.

26 Apr 2009 11:22 AM
kate

any possibility of pictures being posted??

26 Apr 2009 11:22 AM
Lisa in Colorado

RIP, Barbaro. I am so glad you are back at Churchill Downs. Run fast and free forever.

26 Apr 2009 11:23 AM
Teresa

A special moment for a special horse. May he rest in peace.

26 Apr 2009 11:30 AM
Karen in Texas

Joan---That's an excellent idea!

26 Apr 2009 11:31 AM
Ragsy

WOW, just saw Barbaro racing on HRTV and they will give some updates on the unveiling and pictures.  Miss that Barbaro!!not going to the Derby, the infield wasnt such a great idea...

The horses are just beautiful can't wait for the Derby....Barbaro's on right now!!

26 Apr 2009 11:36 AM
Heather

I wish I could be at Churchill Downs today to honor you Barbaro. I'll be there with you in spirit. You'll be forever in my heart sweet boy. May you be running free in sweet green pastures......

26 Apr 2009 11:41 AM
Kathy

I made a quick check of the internet and spotted this simply gorgeous statue of Barbaro with Edgar Prado. All I can say Barbaro is I wish you were still around, so I could have seen you race in person, but that wasn't to be. RIP, you will always be remembered.

26 Apr 2009 11:48 AM
lobieb

Still  have tears when I read about our boy and so glad that he has finally been put to rest at his greatest triumph.  Hope that someone was able to get footage of the ceremony so that we who could not be there can still see it.

26 Apr 2009 11:49 AM
RunFree

Churchill Downs is the best place to put him at rest. He deserves to be there. Now his ashes will join with the memories of his great and historic win.

26 Apr 2009 11:53 AM
Kathy

Barbaro Addendum

Also, the world would have been a better place had you had the ability to stick around for 30 more years. It was great while you were here.

26 Apr 2009 12:09 PM

Joan

Good idea!  The FOB's will probably do just that.  :-)

26 Apr 2009 12:16 PM
Cassidy

So glad he is back at Churchill.  Have goosebumps and tears.  Thank you for this blog Amanda.

26 Apr 2009 12:26 PM
stardust

This one actually may fit the day better......

www.youtube.com/watch

Love you Barbaro.

26 Apr 2009 12:47 PM
Rachel

i miss you barbaro!

26 Apr 2009 12:53 PM
Down the Stretch

A nice gesture for a nice horse. But I don't think he would have ever beaten Bernardini that year.....that horse was amazing.

26 Apr 2009 12:58 PM
Leah

Where Can I Find Pictures???

I Got So Exited When I Saw This Blog

26 Apr 2009 1:19 PM
Megan B.

Thats a very nice thing they did i hope someday i can go see it. every one misses u barbaro he was very famouse even in canada lots of people here where heart broken when he died R.I.P  barbaro

26 Apr 2009 1:21 PM
Smarie

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful horse. Barbaro is back where he belongs, at the site of his greatest racing triumph. Also, I hope this statue, in some way, can represent all horses. All horses deserve the love and care that Barabaro received. We have to do all we can to see to it that the anti-horse slaughter legislation is passed in Washington DC, and we have to prosecute those who abuse and neglect their horses. Together, we can stop the atrocities that some human beings inflict on these magnificent animals.

26 Apr 2009 1:22 PM
aspradling

there will be a brief video of the statue in our first bh.com Kentucky Derby news minute. It will be posted on our website today.

26 Apr 2009 1:34 PM
stardust

Barbaro would have won the TC had he not got injured.  We all know that.  :-)

26 Apr 2009 1:45 PM
Tracy

God Bless Barbaro!Thanks for all you have done and I am so glad you being honored so well for all of us to enjoy.I will always miss you Big Boy so special gone to soon.

26 Apr 2009 1:50 PM
stardust

Here is another vid for you guys.  I adore this video.  Tears flow when I watch this.

www.youtube.com/watch

It is beautiful.

26 Apr 2009 2:11 PM
Brandi

stardust

GOD did not take Barbaro's life. I believe it was the Doctors at New Bolton who did that. This horse suffered alot, was doped up, and completely out of his element before being put down.

26 Apr 2009 2:15 PM
stardust

Hey you guys..... All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!  BREATHTAKING!!!!

nbcsports.msnbc.com/.../30418485

26 Apr 2009 2:26 PM

Brandi

Barbaro had ONE un comfortable night.  That was January 28th, 2009.  The rest of the time, he was a happy horse.  Nuff said!  How dare you put down what Dean Richardson said all those months.

26 Apr 2009 2:27 PM
stardust

Woops I meant January 28th, 2006!  Sorry about that.  My mistake.

26 Apr 2009 2:44 PM
Carolyn in ND

Brandi - all horses(all animals) that are dealing with an injury, illness or such will be in some discomfort for a while.  Like us, they have to have time & meds to recover.  I rescued a TB gelding that recovered nicely from a stress slab fracture.  I was lucky he had no complications.

Amanda, nice job again!

26 Apr 2009 3:10 PM
slkdjf

Can anyone post photos of the statue from the opposite side. I would like to see the whole statue instead of a big fat rail.

26 Apr 2009 3:29 PM
Marigold

A great tribute for a great horse, with great connections.

26 Apr 2009 3:29 PM
stardust

I just made this for Barbaro today.

We will see him in the end. :-)

www.youtube.com/watch

26 Apr 2009 4:44 PM
Barb K

I'm very grateful for this blog.  what a wonderful way to honor Barbaro.

26 Apr 2009 5:46 PM
Ida Lee

Beautiful Memorial to a Beautiful Champion. Barbaro will always have a special place in my heart. RIP Love.

26 Apr 2009 5:48 PM
Mara

Actually it was Jan. 28 2007.  Had it been 2006 he never would have run in the Derby.

26 Apr 2009 6:53 PM
Maki

I seen this before i was revealed. From the parts of it that were visible that I seen, this is what I figured it looked like.

26 Apr 2009 7:55 PM
John T.

Barbaro was one of the most exciting Derby winners in years making it that more tragic on what happened on Preakness Day.

26 Apr 2009 7:59 PM
Karen, PA

So moving.  So beautiful.  The end of one journey that has opened our hearts to more to follow.

My heart swells with how majestic BARBARO was, and now still is . . .

26 Apr 2009 8:00 PM
Rachel of AZ

I have been awaiting this day for some time now. Saddened I couldn't be there. Barbaro deserves this soo soo much. He made us all so proud... This is just one of the most gorgeous, and amazing things we could have done for Barbaro. RIP my dear friend..

26 Apr 2009 8:06 PM
Janet

A very special remembrance for America's horse.  Miss you Barbaro.  Your spirit lives on in the beauty and good natured attitude of your brothers.  God Bless!

26 Apr 2009 8:31 PM
Lou in TX

The inscription under the statue of Barbaro reads:

"I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run, I feel his pleasure."

This ia a quote from Eric Liddell, an Olympic Gold Medalist winner.

Suites Barbaro perfectly. The Jacksons have done a wonderful job in making this tribute to Barbaro. All his fans are so lucky to have this to look upon for many years to come.

Can't wait until June when I can see it in person. Wish I could have been ther today. Glad there were lots of FOB's there. I don't think the Jackson's can begin to comprehend how many people love this horse and his brothers. I'm sure they don't read all of his web sites. But he is a symbol of our love for horses and their well being.

26 Apr 2009 8:43 PM
Lou in TX

Stardust

Your video was wonderful. I cried all the way thru it. Sure hope everyone watches it. It is a wonderful tribute Barbaro. Thanks for making it. I'm putting it in my favorites to show Claire, my Granddaughter when she's here next.

Thanks again.

26 Apr 2009 8:55 PM
darlene

what a beautiful tribute to Barbaro I had planned on being there today but couldnt make it I am visiting Churchill downs in July and plan on putting a rose there for Barbaro  Darlene.

26 Apr 2009 9:46 PM
horse lover

how beautiful the memorial bronze statue is. what a great horse he was. never before has a horse captured us the way he did, and maybe never will. Barbaro lives on forever.

26 Apr 2009 10:28 PM
Penny in Texas

Thank you for the pictures. Barbaro is back where he belongs. Rest in peace, sweet Barbaro.

26 Apr 2009 11:11 PM
Blue Blue Sea

The artist nailed it. This is the perfect tribute for any racehorse.

27 Apr 2009 6:38 AM
Whatever

What a shame the world lost this promising young star. I hope I never have to witness something like that on television ever again.

27 Apr 2009 9:06 AM
Jackie Fan of Nicanor

What a way to give Bobby his final resting place.  I hope he is watching from above and seeing this special event take place.  Rest in Peace Barbaro.

27 Apr 2009 9:46 AM
Jackie Fan of Nicanor

I wonder if Edgar Prado saw the statue and if he did What does he think about it.  He should be very pleased with it.  I can't get Barbaro out of my head for the last three weeks. I can't figure out why.  Must be a reason.

27 Apr 2009 9:53 AM
Greg J.

What a Fitting and Amazing Tribute to an incredible Athelete, "Barbaro"....

He has now come full circle, R.I.P. "Barbaro"....

More Pictures of this great tribute from ABR:

forums.prospero.com/.../message.asp

Thank You Amanda for all you do...

27 Apr 2009 10:05 AM
Vevita1

It still breaks my heart. I will never forget Barbaro.

27 Apr 2009 10:09 AM

“I’m home at last; here in Kentucky I entered life,

Born in a stall in a barn at first light,

Days in the grass with my mother nearby,

It was here I raced and caught your eye,

I’ve come full circle, back to the start,

For here  is my home, and here is my heart.”

R.I.P. Barbaro.....

27 Apr 2009 10:09 AM

R.I.P. "Cloud Nine".....

A beautiful 4 year old, He broke down Saturday in the 8th race at Aqueduct, It was terribly sad to see, I won't go into details, Just a sad shame...

13 Starts: 3 - 0 - 0, $82,424

Foaled February 6, 2005

27 Apr 2009 10:16 AM
Glassoniongirl

Wow! That`s a beautiful statue! I`m glad Barbaro got a completely differen statue, it`s amazing!

27 Apr 2009 10:21 AM
Vevita1

I think that when you love Barbaro, you love all horses and think of their well being. The Jacksons were wonderful owners and Barbaro was so very lucky to belong to them in his short life.

27 Apr 2009 10:27 AM

Enjoy,

Came across these, LVR, Baby Lentenor, amd Nicanor:

www.courier-journal.com/.../gallery

Pictures of Barbaro's Memorial(Jackson's press conference):

www.courier-journal.com/.../gallery

Great acticle on Barbaro's Sculptor Alexa King:

www.courier-journal.com/.../Equine+sublime

Barbaro's Memorial:

www.courier-journal.com/.../904270314

What a great tribute...

27 Apr 2009 10:34 AM
Kate

thanks for the pictures!  that statue is something else.  absolutely gorgeous!

27 Apr 2009 11:30 AM

Lastly,

"Time to Say Goodbye":

www.youtube.com/watch

....Gone, But Never Forgotten...

27 Apr 2009 11:35 AM

Lou in TX

Thank You.  Yesterday was hard for me as it was for a lot that were with Barbaro in spirit all day.

Greg J.

Wonderful posts!  I love the poem and all of the information.   So sorry about Cloud Nine :-(  That just sucks.  That is what I hate about racing.  :-(

27 Apr 2009 11:35 AM

Greg J.

Quality Road is out of the Derby.  I am glad.

27 Apr 2009 11:43 AM
Robin

What a wonderful memorial for a great champion!  Visited CD last year when the plaque was out front of the museum.  It was emotionally stirring for me than, couldn't imagine what it must have felt like during the unveiling.  Will make plans to return soon.  God Bless the Jacksons, MM, Edgar, and Dr. Dean and New Bolten for allowing us to have him as long as we did.  Run fast and free sweet Barbaro.

27 Apr 2009 11:44 AM
Holly

Thank you so much for this blog Amanda.  What a beautiful sculpture of our precious Barbaro.  I wish I could have been there for the unveiling.

How is the newest brother doing?  Has he healed from his infection?  I can hardly wait for some pics!!!

Again, thank you sooooo much for keeping us informed about these precious brothers.  Especially many thanks to the Jacksons and Michael Matz for allowing this also!!!

God Bless,

Holly

27 Apr 2009 11:58 AM

Glassoniongirl

I personally don't think there will ever be a horse that will have this much love and fame and finally a statue to show the world his un-conditional love.  Barbaro taught people that didn't even like racing at all about horses.  He taught children to love.  He taught all of us to keep on fighting no matter what.  He is one of a kind and there will never be another.

No statue comes close to this, as no horse came close to him.  I love them all but this one is indeed the best in the world.  :)

27 Apr 2009 12:00 PM
sandieh

I cried when I saw this. Barbaro was my inspiration to go on also after an accident. Precious Barbaro, you were taken from us about 9:30 am on January 29, 2007. Wednesday, April 29, is your birthday. God Bless you darling, and best wishes to your family with good health. With deepest gratitude to the Jackson family for sharing what is surely dear to them, with all of us. Roy and Gretchen, you are surely "special people". I hope, hope and hope that I am lucky enough one day to see this beautiful tribute in person. LOU, that last paragraph to the Jacksons, yes we have a tremendous amount of love for this family, and I know Roy and Gretchen feel what is in our hearts. You are exactly right. Too HUGE to measure. GREG, what a beautiful poem posted at 10:09 am. Barbaro is watching Nicky, Lennie and Babynor as well as Mom and Dad.

27 Apr 2009 12:10 PM

Robin.

I would have lost it yesterday had I been there.  Seeing Eight Belles would have been hard enough.  I can't imagine how this would have felt.  WOW

27 Apr 2009 12:11 PM
Marigold

The photos of precious baby Lentenor were so much fun.  He will be moving to Fair Hill soon.  Amanda, will Bloodhorse cover that event as it did when Nicanor was shipping to FHTC?

27 Apr 2009 12:34 PM
Berner05

I can't believe that after this amount of time how this sweet horse can rip at your heart and make you cry like a baby! RIP Barbaro, I really miss you and hope you are running in the green grass with the sunshine warm on your body.

27 Apr 2009 12:45 PM

sandieh

Beautiful post.

Berner05  I know exactly how you feel.  I had candles going all day yesterday and did a vid.  This is going to be a very special Kentucky Derby.  That statue of Barbaro will be so admired by thousands of people.  My Lord, I can just imagine the overwhelming tears that are going to flow when people see that.  To this day, I cry like a baby because of Barbaro.  He just has a tendency to do that to me.  Miss the big guy and now we can always go and see him anytime we want to.

Thanks to the Jackson's for being so wonderful to share this beautiful horse with us for all of these years and his little brothers.  They deserve the best of the best cause they are the best!  Some real love there with those owners.  Love for horses beyond imagination.

Amanda.  Thank You deeply for all you do.  You will always be special.

27 Apr 2009 1:10 PM
sandieh

Of all the bloggs that we have been following, this one is the most heart tugging. Sweet one, Dear Barbaro, rest in peace, now.

27 Apr 2009 1:14 PM
stardust

I love this quote taken from the article.

“I think he had some sort of spiritual or mystical presence about him,” she said. “There is a lot people can learn from him. He accepted his situation and set an example human beings can follow. There’s going to be a time when we’re not healthy, we’re not as strong as we were initially. He told us to keep on going.”

This is very true.  Barbaro is such an inspiration.........

27 Apr 2009 1:16 PM
Lonnie

Love the Barbaro memorial statue.  Hope to see it soon.

Amanda, were Nicanor and Lentenor at Delaware Park paddock on Saturday before the races?  If it was them, they were beautiful.

27 Apr 2009 1:21 PM

sandieh

I so hear ya.  He is just as special as always.  I don't think there will ever be a day that I don't break down.  We went through it all with him.  :-)  Love

27 Apr 2009 1:53 PM
sandieh

Stardust, I've followed him from the Holly Bull. It hurts...

27 Apr 2009 2:20 PM

VIDEO of Barbaro Memorial Statue Unveiling :

www.youtube.com/watch

Enjoy Everyone....

27 Apr 2009 2:51 PM
2 time valley player of the year

Stardust , your glad Quality Road is injured and out of the Derby, no compassion for this horse?Your the one who's always bragging about caring for horses and make this statement!

great statue for a great horse , his brother won't get one.

27 Apr 2009 3:23 PM
Kkay3702
27 Apr 2009 3:29 PM

A Comment on Nicanor,

Mark This Down:

Delaware Park, Tuesday, May 12, Race #3, 1 1/16 Miles on TURF, MSW....

Nicanor's Next Race...

27 Apr 2009 3:29 PM
Grey K

To "Jackie Fan of Nicanor": Alexa King consulted with Edgar Prado while designing this sculpture to get everything just right.  Prado was riding elsewhere yesterday but I am sure he will visit his old friend Barbaro this week.

I wasn't able to travel to the unveiling but a kind fellow FOB wore my heart tag and my red rose was among the hundreds sent for the occasion.  I am glad Barbaro is at rest now.  Thanks to the Jacksons for this stunning memorial.  Thanks to the staff of New Bolton who loved this horse so much and gave him a chance to graze in the sweet grass and feel the sun on his back again.  They almost pulled off a medical miracle.  Please try to give to the Barbaro Fund on April 29 or to a horse rescue group.

27 Apr 2009 3:37 PM
Grey K

2 time, it's a quarter crack and Quality Road will be back later in the summer.  he was scratched because he won't have time to heal and be 100 percent by Saturday and because Jimmy Jerkens is a gret horseman.  I get that you enjoy being nasty to people you disagree with but seriously - we don't want Nicnaor to have a statue for breaking down and dying, dude.

27 Apr 2009 3:42 PM
Joe Cauthen

Stardust....there was one, SECRETARIAT..and I capitalized for a reason....and his statue stands in Belmont Park.....you need to go on youtube and watch horses like Sec, Slew, Affirmed and Alydar, Forego, Dr. Fager....they don't make em like that anymore...now it's 4 or 5 wins and you're a superhorse (HA!) and off to the breeding shed.

27 Apr 2009 3:47 PM
Down the Stretch

Brandi

I've talked to several vets who said the same thing...they put this horse through hell.....any other horse would have been put down immediately. He was not a happy horse all those months.

27 Apr 2009 3:52 PM
Marigold

Ah 2tvp is back!  How delightful! Has to rain on the parade, just can't help himself.

27 Apr 2009 4:01 PM
Brandi

stardust  [ aka jabberjaws ]

How dare you to dare me. Now I dobble dog dare you.

Was not saying nothing bad about Dr Richardson. I'm sure he is one of the best. And I really like the Barbaro family. Just saying Barbaro was always out of his element.

Now you can post #19 response for this article.

27 Apr 2009 4:05 PM
Cassidy

Greg thank you for the youtube link of the statue.

27 Apr 2009 4:14 PM
Marigold

Greg, ABR confirms that he's racing on the 12th.  Michael told someone tha he would be.  Turf?? Is that the only race possible for the 12th??  How fabulous!  Turf!!

27 Apr 2009 5:19 PM

2 Timer & Down the Stretch,

For once could you possibly show some respect, This particular topic of this blog is for the

Memory of Barbaro, You can post any comments you like on any other topic of this blog, But are you really that shallow and cold to show that much dis-respect for this Horse and his followers?  It must be really sad to have that much hatred and negativity in your soul...

Brandi,

Your Quote:, "GOD did not take Barbaro's life. I believe it was the Doctors at New Bolton who did that. This horse suffered alot, was doped up, and completely out of his element before being put down"

Talk about ignorance, lets say for a second, That on that day of the Preakness, Barbaro was put down at that moment, Do you think 3,000 Horses would have been saved ?, Due to Barbaro's plight and fight to live on in the following months of his life, It has made people aware of numerous issues, that has gone on to save almost 3,000 horses lives, plus raised money for laminitis research so this might never happen again some day, Made Congress and the United States aware of Horse Slaughter, Etc...

Then when you say, "Was not saying nothing bad about Dr Richardson".  Here is your original quote, "I believe it was the Doctors at New Bolton who did that".  You call that not saying anything bad about Dr. Dean Richardson?, WOW, This man devoted every fiber of his being to try to save this horse.  You really need to educate yourself, Seriously...

Why don't you three put your money where your mouth is, Here is the link to the "Fund for Laminitis Research", And for every dollar you three donate, I will Match.....

www.vet.upenn.edu/.../Default.aspx

27 Apr 2009 5:22 PM
Curlin (Jay)

yes Greg J, I also seen the breakdown of Cloud Nine and that was one of the most brutal breaks I've ever seen. Something you just never want to see.

27 Apr 2009 5:31 PM
2 time valley player of the year

Grey K and Marigold, where's the compassion for a winner like QR?Marigold do you still think Stardust is a kid haaaa,you defend her nonsense so much. Hold the parade till he wins which could happen next out against  a bunch multi loss or first time maiden  stiffs at a second tier track.You don't have to breakdown to get  a statute as Joe Cauthen said, Nic won't for his racing that's for sure.

27 Apr 2009 5:35 PM
Judy

Imagine someday  Barbaro's fan's who love him so much, standing there with their children and grandchildren telling them stories of the great Barbaro as they're looking at the statue!  It's not only how he raced and won, but his heart and courage that's the real story.

27 Apr 2009 6:20 PM
Ragsy

Stardust, GregJ.

My heart is greatly saddened by this hate directed toward Barbaro, this horse was greatly admired by millions of people and will have millions of fans after many of these folks are dead!!!

Barbaro was a one in a million, so please, if you can not be respectable of his memory shut the ---- up.Dr. Richardson and the Jacksons would never allowed him to suffer, he was recovering wonderfully until that laminits set in. Barbaro has died, but he will forever be a great Champion and its never time to say goodbye !!!!

As for as Quality Road its best he not run with a bleeding quarter crack, its kinda like they are wanting him to live for a while longer......

27 Apr 2009 6:34 PM
Lou in TX

The statue is simply amazing. Thank you to the Jacksons for making such a wonderful memory of our boy Barbaro. We will have it to look at for many years to come.

Mrs Jackson wrote the poem for Barbaro and read it during her speech. I think it was a  beautiful tribute our Horse Barbaro.

Thank you Greg for the youtube web site. Of course I had to cry all the way thru it. Hopefully now that he is home some of our pain will ease a bit. Maybe this can bring closure for all of us knowing he's finally back where he belongs. I know I still cry just reading all of comments about him. It's still very painful.  We need to turn our thoughts toward Nicanor, Lentenor and Babynor. I read the other day he had surgery on the 23rd so hopefully he's feeling a lot better now.

My very best to all the FOB's on this site. Thanks Amanda for all you do for us. Now maybe we can consetrate on all the brothers who are still with us.

Lets hope things go well at the Derby. I'll be watching to see who wins. Still can't decide who I want to win. Too many good horses.

Same goes for the Oaks on Friday.

27 Apr 2009 6:53 PM
yawn

stardust:

Barbaro would have won the TC had he not got injured.  We all know that.  :-)

The odds say no.  They should not allow breeding weak horses.

They should spay Barbaro's dam La Ville Rouge.  The record shows it:

First foal made only 9 starts and was injured and retired at three.

Second foal made only 7 starts and broke down at three.

Third foal never even started.

Fourth foal is a 3yo with only 3 starts to date.

Let's push for breeding SOUND horses, not potential CRIPPLES.

27 Apr 2009 7:09 PM
Penny in Texas

I just read on Mill Ridge website that the Barbaro's new baby brother had surgery.  Does anyone know anything or can provide more information?  Thank you in advance.

27 Apr 2009 7:40 PM
CalyS

What can I say that has not already been said.  It hits home and just shows how special this beautiful horse was.  I still wish (someone help me out!) there was a way I could find the video of his Derby victory (and his life?).  In my book, definitely a triple crown winner.

I've never seen the Derby in person (my own personal dream), but my drive to see the Derby has just been (and to see the statue) has been ampliefied that much more with the unveiling of the statue.

My only hope is that "lightning in the bottle" will be caught again with the full brothers and sisters of Barbaro that come along.  That point is beyond the fact that Barbaro was "one in a million".  It's not the same without you, gorgeouse boy.

27 Apr 2009 8:00 PM
WannaTripleCrownWinner

What an unbelievably, breath-taking statue of Barbaro. He was truly a wonderful and beautiful horse with a great heart and could run like a champ anyday and also Down the stretch or whatever your name is you said even if Barbaro hadn't got hurt he could've never beaten Bernardini(another one of my fav horses) that day in the Preakness I disagree completely. That would've been some race for us fans and horse lovers as well between the two horses. Barbaro was amazing because of his great heart and will to win and Bernardini because he also loved to win and was a freak but in a good way. I wish Barbaro was still alive to this day. I see videos of him on Youtube and they make me cry. I still can't believe he is gone. Dean Richardson and his staff at New Bolton did the best they could to save his life. He was not doped up and he was pretty comfortable until that unfateful day in January of 2006. Barbaro,you will truly live on in our hearts forever. We love you and can't wait to see your bros win their races.

27 Apr 2009 8:16 PM
WannaTripleCrownWinner

Got a question for you 2 time valley player of the year how the heck do you know Nicanor will never get a statue? He is still a big kid and has not yet realized how to win a race yet but he will and I believe as do everybody us on this message board that he will be a champion one day so stop being a negative nelly. I hate reading the bashing you always put on Nicky Knocks. Yes, he hasn't broke his maiden yet but yet, he will. Give him a chance and give us all a break here please.

27 Apr 2009 8:22 PM
Bonnie3

REST IN PEACE, SWEET PRINCE. THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER WHO TUGS AT SO MANY HEARTSTRINGS AS YOU. HOPE TO SEE THE BEAUTIFUL MEMORIAL BEFORE TOO LONG AND APPRECIATE THE GORGEOUS VIDEOS AND PICTURES SO MUCH.

27 Apr 2009 8:27 PM

Joe Cauthen

I know.  I saw them all race in the 70's.  Horses are not the same now as they were then.  :)  I love Seattle Slew the most.  I'll never forget his TC win.

27 Apr 2009 9:02 PM

Thanks for the link.

27 Apr 2009 9:12 PM
DONNA

I was there for the ceremony Sunday morning and it was great. It was such a thrill to see the Jacksons, Mr. Matz and Dr. Richarson there in person. Roy and Gretchen helped to unveil the statue. A lot of those there had Barbaro teeshirts and  there were many of the FOB'S there. I was standing next to a lady and her daughter who had come from Seattle just for this ceremony. There are so many people out there who are and were so dedicated to him I was amazed. It is good to know that so many people care about horses. The memories of Sunday and the wonderful caring people will remain with me the rest of my life. Barbaro is finally at rest in the state where he was foaled and at the place where he achieved his greatest moment. Churchill Downs when he won the 132 Kentucky Derby. May he rest rest in peace for rest of eternity.

27 Apr 2009 9:19 PM
MJ

The unveiling was wonderful.  Alexa King went above and beyond with this statue and the entire memorial.  Looks great in front of a wonderful race track.

27 Apr 2009 11:52 PM
Don

Hello, Everyone!

I was there at the dedication yesterday at Churchill Downs and just returned home to Massachusetts.  I took many photos and a few somewhat shakey videos of the speeches and the unveiling, but I am unsure of how I can share it with everyone.  It was a very beautiful and moving experience.

Any comments of suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

27 Apr 2009 11:59 PM
Robin

I still get upset about Barbaro.He was so special.I will never forget him.And that means all of us.

Robin

28 Apr 2009 1:02 AM
stardust

Barbaro Lovers.  Tomorrow is his 5th birthday (how could we forget that!).  I made this early for all that love him.  I'll post it again on the 29th.  I hope you all enjoy it.  My heart and soul went into this and it took awhile to get it done.  I really really miss him.

www.youtube.com/watch

28 Apr 2009 2:53 AM
Airwave

hummmmm, lets see, 1st couldn't have pictures of babynor because he had cracked ribs and an infection. Now no pictures because he had surgery. What is the next excuse, I wonder?

28 Apr 2009 3:23 AM
JAJ

Down the Stretch,

I agree with you, but, and it is a really big but, you don't know until it is all over that maybe it went on too long.

It was a really slippery slope they were on, and things kept changing.  Things cascaded out of control fairly quickly.

Yes, you are correct, a lesser horse would not have been put through what he was.  But, was it a mistake to try?

28 Apr 2009 9:33 AM

Joe Cauthen

I way agree with you on the TC winners in the 70's, however I don't feel that they were "The Nations Horse".  Barbaro is the first horse where the owners have been so good to the fans and made him their horse too.  That is the difference.

I know that when Secretartiat was buired, he had his legs, head, and heart with him.  Isn't he the only horse that was put to rest like that?

28 Apr 2009 10:54 AM
DONNA

Greg J. Your poem was the one Gretchen Jackson read at the ceremony.

28 Apr 2009 11:05 AM
Clicker John

To "Stardust":

I see you have posted a couple Youtube videos. I also noticed that every last photo you've used are considered copyright infringement, unless you have the express written consent of every photographer in question.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, and I certainly understand your heart was in the right place, but you can't do that!

As photographers, we work very hard to protect against pirating, and your photo montages are just in flagrant violation of that. I am highly familiar with more than a few of the photos you've used, and some of the photograhers who took them, so I'd suggest you get permission QUICK, or plan on seeing the videos removed.

Yes, I have passed the links to your Youtube videos along to a few of the photographers in question. They have a right to know where their work is being used, especially without their permission.

I really am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and while I appreciate the sentiment of what you've done, it does not dismiss violation of copyright, and/or the photographer's work.

Just do the right thing, is all I'm asking, before the tributes are removed for copyright infringement, and in the future, just do your homework on who shot which photos, and seek their permission first. Thanks! :-)

28 Apr 2009 1:06 PM
MVH

Greg, is that race the only suitable one for Nic that day?  I hope so! I would love for him to carve his own career on turf! Michael told someone at the unveiling that Nic would run on May 12. Are you certain there isn't something on turf that day?

28 Apr 2009 1:31 PM

Marigold

Don't even read it.  Really, it is not positive and so what is the point.  We love Barbaro.  There is always a demon to try to make things unpleasent.  Shuck it off.  You and I both know that Barbaro is the most famous horse in the world and the most inspiring.  Nothing Else Matters.  We know.  That is all that does.  :-)

28 Apr 2009 1:38 PM
yawn

stardust: "Shuck it off.  You and I both know that Barbaro is the most famous horse in the world and the most inspiring."

Most famous?  I doubt it, and if so because he failed. (not his fault, the fault of his genes, or an accident) Yes he gave a "brave" struggle, fight for life.  Self Preservation.  Odds are still great there wouldn't have been a TC winner that year. He was a GOOD horse, but GREAT only in DEATH.  FACT.

I venture that Secretariat is the best known modern day era horse in the world.(except to the chosen few who proclaim to "get it")

Face facts.  Light candles if it thrills you, but get over it.  Nicanor and the other siblings probably, if lucky, win a race or two, but will not amount to antyhing spectacular.

Have a nice day.

28 Apr 2009 2:42 PM
2 time valley player of the year

Greg J. you still think your the owner, judge and jury of this blog -read my comment about Barbaro  "A Great Horse" -where is the disrespect ???-your cats got you hallucinating and by the way your the braggart who said Nicanor would win his second time out and wouldn't take the challenge I offered to the loser to get off the blog you  are chicken lickin who doesn't back up his words.Your the one  with hatred I suggest you go find more stray cats!Read my original statement again  catman.

28 Apr 2009 2:58 PM
Mary

Stardust, Secretariat was buried whole, and I don't know if he is the only one buried that way.  Secretariat was just as beloved as Barbaro, if not more so. Secretariat was the "people's horse".   A huge number of people cried after he won the Belmont, including Jack Nicklaus, the famed golf player.  Secretariat was a most magnificent animal.

28 Apr 2009 3:34 PM
cyclone1176

Barbaro was a amazing horse witch  is still a winner .He win the hearts of millions during and after his racing career. the statue of him is vary beautiful. Barbaro is still racing in all of our hearts.No other horse will be  the same like our boy Barbaro, he was one of a kind, put our Barbaro to sleep was the kinds thing to do for him. Barbaro RIP our champion .

28 Apr 2009 3:43 PM

Ragsy

One wonderful horse and people are so jealous that they have to try to ruin things.  Don't even read the posts.  Really, you are way better than they are.  Let them stew in their own dirt.  They are really not wanted here and most of us know it.  Shuck it off. :-)

Barbaro You are the BEST!

28 Apr 2009 3:48 PM

Greg J.

I'll match the money too.  Those people do nothing but try to start trouble.  Dean Richardson is and always will be a brilliant doctor.  We know the deal and we GET IT!  :)

28 Apr 2009 4:00 PM
Marigold

Greg, I misspoke.  I meant to say something on dirt that day...

Amanda, will Lentenor's departure from Ocala be covered as Nicanor's was??

28 Apr 2009 5:26 PM
Lou in TX

Hopefully I'll get to see Nicanor race on the 12th. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he finally breaks his maiden. Sounds like he's doing better on his works. I know all the FOB's will be rooting for him. Wish he could feel all the love and support we have for him. Hopefully he'll have some of his fans there in person to cheer him on.

28 Apr 2009 6:45 PM
horsefan4ever

how wonderful to see suc ha champ remebered. RIP big boy.

28 Apr 2009 9:01 PM
horsefan4ever

I especailly  like that he was buried at the site of his greatest victory.

28 Apr 2009 9:03 PM
sandieh

Happy Birthday, Darling Barbaro!! Run free in spirit!

29 Apr 2009 6:42 AM
Ragsy

Well, today is Barbaro's birthday,missing you sweet Champion. Thank you for all the enjoyment you gave to me in your short lifetime, I will never forget you, nor, will I allow others forget.

So,true are the words of Gretchen Jackson:  " Grief is the price we pay for love "  so true.....

29 Apr 2009 10:08 AM
mentu

Happy Birthday big boy.  The Racing world misses you.

29 Apr 2009 10:22 AM

Mary

You're right.  I remember now.  It has been a really long time since I saw him win the Belmont.  I was young.  Thanks for reminding me.  I think he is the only horse burried that way right?

29 Apr 2009 5:00 PM
stardust

Ragsy.  Go and watch my vid I made for Barbaro's B-day.  Or maybe you did.  Hope your OK today.  :)

29 Apr 2009 5:03 PM

2 Timer,

It is comical that I am responding to you, since it is like talking to a brick wall, So, I am not even going to try to...

People that come to this Blog know that I am sincere, and care deeply about Barbaro and his Family, and I highly doubt the same can be said about you...

29 Apr 2009 5:14 PM
stardust

Happy 6th Birthday Barbaro!

www.youtube.com/watch

This is for all that love Barbaro and went down that long and winding road.  :-)

29 Apr 2009 5:21 PM

Greg J.

Win Willy is out too.  How are ya?  Got your purse ready?  We all know you are sincere.  You really love Barbaro and the Family and so it really doesn't matter what people say.  Really their words are worthless.  :)

29 Apr 2009 5:43 PM
Cleone

Many horses have been buried intact (their entire bodies, as well as their hooves, heads, and hearts).  Ruffian and Man 'o War come immediately to mind, but I know there have been many other great and good horses buried that way.  It's not common or usual, but it does happen.

29 Apr 2009 6:02 PM
Mary

Stardust, as far as I know Secretariat is the only horse that was buried whole. Many people think that Secretariat was just simply an anamoly.  Perhaps Barbaro was too; we will never know.

I do question the soundness of horses these days.  I won't get into that here because a couple of people jumped all over me; but I know I was right in what I said.

If a horse could win the Kentucky Derby on just pedigree alone, FRIESAN FIRE would be the one to bet on. Of course, we all know it takes so much more than pedigree, training, luck, etc.

I'm going with FF to win, Pioneerof The Nile, and General Quarters.  I know that FF has never gone the distance, but he was bred to do just that.

29 Apr 2009 7:45 PM
Denise

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARBARO! The racing world will neveer be the same without you in it!  Your statue is beautiful! Still miss you and will always love you!! xoxoxoxox

29 Apr 2009 10:36 PM

FYI,

Good News!, A key House panel approved legislation Wednesday that would bar federal officials from slaughtering healthy wild horses and burros.

It's a Start....

Link:

www.rgj.com/.../NEWS

30 Apr 2009 10:43 AM

Another Video of Barbaro's Memorial:

Enjoy...

www.wave3.com/.../popupplayer.asp

30 Apr 2009 10:52 AM
Mary

Stardust, the 1978 Triple Crown winner "Affirmed", was buried whole and so was "Man O' War". I did a little research, so I am sure that there are other horses that were buried that way.

30 Apr 2009 3:49 PM

Mary

Thanks :)  I am typing through tears as I just got my Barbaro Book today.  Well folks that already know this, I like this quote.

"I'm not saying he's Secretariat, but maybe he is.  He can get compared to horses like Secretariat, Seattle Slew, the great horses of our era."  --- MICHAEL MATZ

Greg. Thanks for the video.  AND we are coming up on the Derby.  I have been doing a little homework and I noticed that you were in chat today.  This is really a hard week.  The memorial, b-day and now the Derby where both Barbaro and Eight Belles will be highlights.

I don't know if I will be able to see to wager through all of these tears.  Love Babaro with all my heart and all of the Barbaro Nation.  Yesterday was hard.  To be honest, I don't think it will really ever get easier.  The tears just flow and no other horse has done that to me.

I just love this book Amanda.  Is that promo still going?  I want my g-friend to have this.  :-)

30 Apr 2009 3:55 PM
stardust

Greg J.  I didn't see that one.  Man O Man.  ONE horse made a huge difference.  Did you catch the whole memorial on U-tube?  It is 4 parts.  I'll fetch it....  :-)

30 Apr 2009 3:59 PM

Greg J.

Here is a good one. I didn't make this one.  Just so you know.  It is beautiful though.

www.youtube.com/watch

30 Apr 2009 4:13 PM
stardust

Greg J. Ragsy and Barbaro Fans.

Dynaformer and LVR were in the breeding shed on the 29th.  We shall see.  She may be pregnant again.

30 Apr 2009 10:55 PM
crazy stardust FOB & proud to be one

Hey you guys Greg J, Ragsy and Lou and all Barbaro family.  I got this from ABR.

Great news on Millie!

Now on LVR and baby. From the MillRidge site:

www.millridge.com/barbaro-guestbook.aspx

I am appreciative of the fans patience with our communication on La Ville Rouge and her '09 colt. The '09 Dynaformer colt had an infected umbilical vein and eventually had surgery to remove this infection. Thankfully he is recovering very well from this surgery and yesterday was turned out into a small paddock and is enjoying the green grass and sunshine. La Ville Rouge was bred on Sunday to Dynaformer and we will learn if she is pregnant in about 2 weeks.

01 May 2009 2:49 AM
Ragsy

Amanda, that was a good article you wrote on that beautiful filly Zenyatta.  Yes, I agree with what the trainer stated,that she would not run if the track does not improve.

Why risk the life of  beautiful Zenyatta....like georgous George Washington.

Barbaro, how sweet the name!!!!

01 May 2009 9:44 AM
Ragsy

Stardust that was a super video, many thanks....

01 May 2009 9:46 AM
Bianca

There are several videos of Barbaro unveiling on YouTube. Made by fans. Here are two to enjoy:

www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch

01 May 2009 1:10 PM
Patty

I had the honor and pleasure of watching Barbaro train at Fair Hill a couple of times.  He gave me a feeling of hope and faith at a time of loss in my life and I thank him for that.  He was simply awesome and breathtaking to watch.

01 May 2009 1:28 PM
Sue B.

To this day I still cry when I see or read anything about Barbaro.  The statue is beautiful.  I'm sure he is looking down and smiling.  Miss you always beautiful one.

02 May 2009 1:27 AM
crazy stardust FOB

I hit two races but lost in the end.  My Derby Tri was

Pioneer of the Nile for first keyed with

General Quarters

FF

Quite the shock.  I really did think that Gomez was gonna win today.  I am happy as crazy for Calvin.  He and Edgar are my favorite jockeys.  I love the way Calvin OWNS that rail :)  Although I didn't hit, I am really happy for Calvin.  Maybe he will take the TC this year aye??????  :)

02 May 2009 7:12 PM
crazy stardust FOB

Got this off of ABR compliments of Alex Brown.

"MINE THAT BIRD TEAM SALUTES BARBARO, GIVES ROSES FROM DERBY GARLAND TO FANS

LOUISVILLE, KY. (May 3, 2009) - Kentucky Derby fans who visited Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby Museum on the day after the 135th "Run for the Roses" got a surprise gift from the team behind Mine That Bird, the 50-1 longshot that won America's greatest race on Saturday.

Trainer Chip Woolley Jr. suggested Sunday morning that the mantle of roses worn by Mine That Bird in the Kentucky Derby Winner's Circle after his victory be placed on the new sculpture of 2006 Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro located at Churchill Downs' Gate 1 entrance. After consulting with co-owners Mark Allen with Double Eagle Ranch and Dr. Leonard Blach of Bueno Suerte Equine, the trio behind Saturday's surprise Derby winner decided to give the nearly 400 "Freedom Roses" that make up the garland to Derby fans who were visiting the Barbaro Memorial and the Kentucky Derby Museum on the day after the race.

The garland had been stored in refrigeration overnight in the museum, and at noon (EDT) was briefly placed over the rail of the Barbaro sculpture in tribute to the ill-fated 2006 winner of the Kentucky Derby. The garland was then removed and Woolley and Allen began handing out the roses, one-by-one, to fans who happened by the larger-than-life sculpture as they visited the museum and Churchill Downs.

"This is a tribute to a great horse," Woolley said. "I wanted everyone to have a little piece of the Derby. We wanted to give something back to the game. We just want to show how important horses really are. That's what this is all about. We want people to know just how important these horses really are to us. They're not just animals, they're a part of us."

A line of delighted fans formed in front of the Barbaro sculpture as they awaited their opportunity for a Derby rose won by Mine That Bird, and Woolley and Allen also posed for photos and signed autographs until the each rose had been distributed. The two men greeted fans in front of the Barbaro Memorial for more than an hour and a half until each rose from the garland had been handed out".

03 May 2009 3:46 PM
Nune

Truly an exquisite artistic achievement to honor a horse of exquisite grace, beauty and courage...Viva Barbaro!

03 May 2009 6:51 PM
sandieh

Darling Barbaro, on May 2, a blanket of roses was spread over your statue and handed out, one by one, to your visitors. How beautiful and thoughtful of Mr Woolley. The thought of you, being so missed and loved, brings tears to my heart. Love you Darling!

04 May 2009 12:27 PM
Ragsy

Well, I thought that what Mr. Wooley did at the sculpture of magnificient Barbaro was awesome, it made me cry both in sadness and happiness of such a wonderful gesture...to Barbaro...

05 May 2009 10:02 AM
crazy stardust

Ragsy

I hear ya.  That is what seperates good people from bad ones :)

05 May 2009 12:10 PM
crazy stardust

Ragsy.

We have a wedding to get ready for LOL.  Greg is paying for it.  LOL :)

05 May 2009 12:53 PM
Ragsy

Stardust, we must thank Greg J for his kindness... isnt that baby awesome!!!

06 May 2009 10:04 AM
Lou in TX

Hey all

Isn't that Babynor just magnificent?  He's another loved Barbaro brother. He sure is something special. LVR's BIG boy is so curious and he looks really healthy. Mom is really taking good care of him.

Hope Nicanor and Lentenor have had a chance to meet. Wonder if they will think they are looking in a mirror. Hopefully if they do meet they will get to be friends. Wouldn't that be neat?

Things are starting to get nasty on the new site with pics of Babynor. Hope it goes away soon. That should be a happy site with lots of love for the new colt.

07 May 2009 1:37 AM

Lou in TX

Do what I do.  Scroll by those names. I rarely read them and when I do, it usually takes me by surprise cause I find myself responding to the wrong person.  Just don't pay attention to that negative stuff.  Not worth your time.  They know nothing about love and dignity.  :)

07 May 2009 9:14 PM

Lou in TX

ALL of Barbaro's brothers are very very special and always will be.  Most of us know that.  The rest that don't?  They are just jealous cause these horses are so loved and so famous they can't stand it.  We love these horses and the connections.   :)

09 May 2009 10:02 AM
TOBI

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER BARBARO

HE WILL ALWAYS REMAIN IN MY HEART, I THINK OF HIM ALL THE TIME.I HAVE TO SEE HIS SCULPTUE AT CHURCHILL DOWNS, WHERE HE RAN THE RACE OF HIS HIS LIFE. I WILL NEVER FORGET THIS VERY SPECIAL HORSE.

11 May 2009 12:14 AM
Mary

Barbaro was very beautiful, i am so glad that they did everything they could for our beautiful horse but the lord had better plans for

barbaro he is now safe and resting in peace and watching over his brothers

03 Jun 2009 5:35 PM
Kiersten1218

it's gorgeous :)

08 Jun 2009 10:37 PM
TIA

GOD BLESS YOU BARBARO AND THE GOOD PEOPLE YOU HAD AROUND...I WISH I WAS THERE......WE MISS YOU UP HERE IN CANADA

14 Oct 2010 11:38 PM