Matz: 'Naturally, With a Horse Like This There Are Thoughts of a Triple Crown Race' After Lenny's Win--Watch Replay Now

Watch the Replay

The winning tradition of the Barbaro family continued Jan. 20 when Lentenor, the 3-year-old son of Dynaformer—La Ville Rouge, romped by daylight in a 1 1/16 two-turn turf race at Gulfstream Park.

"We've always known he was a good horse," trainer Michael Matz said afterward. "He's a big boy a still a bit immature, but he got a lot of experience today. He'd been working well. We'll see how he comes out of it and take a little time to evaluate what might be next. It could be an ‘a other than' or maybe even a turf stakes if we think he's up to it. Naturally with a horse like this there are thoughts of a Triple Crown race, but it's much too early to say whether he'd be far enough long to consider something like that. Naturally, I'm very pleased with how he ran today."

Sent off as the overwhelming even-money favorite in the 12-horse field in the day's ninth and final race, Lentenor had substitute jockey John Velazquez aboard after Jose Lezcano took off his mounts following an accident in the fourth race on the card.

Lentenors victory came in his third career start for owners Roy and Gretchen Jackson. The colt was third in his career debut and finished second in his first start on grass.

Now the fun really starts. Will he go in a non-winners of two or be sent straight into stakes company? Will Velazquez be retained as the regular rider? That was a pretty heads up victory we saw there today.

Irene

HURRAHHHHHHH! That a boy Lentenor! We all knew you'd pull it off this time!!!! Thanks Ron for the speedy results...

:-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

20 Jan 2010 5:30 PM
cathyt

Congratulations to everyone connected with Lentenor! Was trying to watch on BetAmerica and half-way through the  video went out!!!

20 Jan 2010 5:31 PM
Gerard

John Velazquez...Heck Yeah!!! He rode our boy to perfection!

20 Jan 2010 5:32 PM
Cal Gal

The tears of joy are flowing over on ABR and on this board, I'd bet.  What a victory!!!  He drew away and poured it on -- he's bottomless, too.  The pace was fast, but he had plenty left. Good Boy, Lentenor!!!

20 Jan 2010 5:32 PM
Tracy

The moment his race was on the sun came out so I knew had won.Way to go Lentenor!

20 Jan 2010 5:34 PM
horsenut23

Yahoo!!!! Lentenor, you ROCK!!! I hope they leave JV on him, and I would think they would head for the stakes races.Congrats to the Jacksons and all of Lentenor's connections!

20 Jan 2010 5:34 PM
Patty in Dallas

Way to go Lentenor!!! A maiden no more.  What a great race for the beautiful guy.

20 Jan 2010 5:35 PM
txhorsefan

YAY!  He was pretty awesome in this amateur's opinion.  He broke well, rated in second then sped up when he needed to.  I thought the fractions seemed pretty quick, too, but then...I am not an expert like I tried to spell out earlier - lol!  It sort of freaked out the dog when I was yelling in front of the tv, though.  :)

20 Jan 2010 5:36 PM
Rita

Oh boy great I'm so happy.Guess we have another Derby contender. Go Lentenor!

20 Jan 2010 5:37 PM
Greg J.

Very Impressive Victory for Lentenor! Congrats to ALL involved with this amazing equine family!  He had a ton left at the finish line,  Awesome!

20 Jan 2010 5:38 PM
Justine

Congratulations to the Jacksons, Matz, La Ville Rouge, and especially Lentenor for the victory! The odds of a racehorse winning a single race are already pretty damn high so kudos to everyone.

I'd rather see him go through the conditions first, but it's up to them to figure out what's best for Lentenor. Best wishes to all!

20 Jan 2010 5:38 PM
Kath

So proud of you. You ran like the wind!!

20 Jan 2010 5:39 PM
Lise from Maine

Bonjour Lentenor!

I just knew it! I just knew it!

Wow!  You won, Lentenor!

Congratulations, Lentenor, Mr. Matz, and Mr and Mrs. Jackson!

Hooray!

Lots of love and kisses to you and your family, Lentenor.

20 Jan 2010 5:41 PM
Brooks

Impressive... I didn't get time in home to watch it live, so thanks for posting the replay so quickly.  I'm really impressed with Lentenor's turn of foot.  It appeared that he may have that "push-button" acceleration that his big brother did.  Seems to me that there is plenty of room for improvement as he was playing around a bit once he got clear.

20 Jan 2010 5:43 PM
Meghan

WAY TO GO LENTENOR!! Thanks for posting the replay so fast since I was unable to watch his race.

20 Jan 2010 5:45 PM
Criminal Type

Way to go Lentenor ! I couldn't watch the replay because I live in the boonies and have satelite internet, it just takes to long to load. Maybe Derby wishes will come true. Congrats to all the connections and fans.

20 Jan 2010 5:46 PM
nmh

OK now. No more playing around.

Let's head for the Derby....

20 Jan 2010 5:46 PM
stardustyrose

Could it be that John Velazquez and Lentenor are the next Triple Crown winners?  I believe the jockey change happened for a reason.

Greg J.  You are right.  He flew to that wire and was just getting started.  :)

♥Lentenor♥

20 Jan 2010 5:51 PM
Cheri H

What a great day!!! Congratulations to the whole team!

20 Jan 2010 5:52 PM
Mary Lou

Thank You Lentenor...Thank You!!!

20 Jan 2010 5:53 PM
Dona

Johnnie V, you're the man! Wonderful ride on our boy wonder. Congratulations to Mr Matz for a great trainning job and of course kuddos to Mr and Mrs Jackson for bringing this boy into our world. Thanks bloodhorse for being there for us. Love it, love it. Now on to bigger and better things and a safe trip for all concerned.

20 Jan 2010 5:55 PM
Cassidy

Oh yea baby!  Great job Team Lentenor!  I am crying and smiling and crying and smiling.... Thank you God for this amazing day.  Lentenor looks great!

20 Jan 2010 5:55 PM
stardustyrose

nmh...

How about "Let's go win a Derby".  :)

20 Jan 2010 5:57 PM
Barbaro4ever

Awesome! I knew he could do it!

Now, try him on the dirt and send him to the Derby!

20 Jan 2010 5:58 PM
DeeJay

I am so excited to be able to see these colts run! OMG did ya'll see that boy? Did he not look like Barbaro, but he was his own self out there. He is a gorgeous hunka horse. CONGRATS to all! Love that boy! Thanks for opportunity to watch replay here. LOVED IT!

20 Jan 2010 5:59 PM
jane

We are so going to be rooting for Lentenor through his entire career and beyond. Congrats to him and all his team.

20 Jan 2010 5:59 PM
HaleyB

I'm speechless......Way to Go Lentenor.  The legacy lives on....Lentenor and Nicanor, the Dynamic Duo of 2010.

20 Jan 2010 6:05 PM
nmh

stardustyrose:  let's win THE DERBY

and the triple... why think small..

20 Jan 2010 6:06 PM
tricia - a cal fan

what a way to bring some sunshine into a miserable stormy, rainy day here in calif. Lentenor looks so much like big brother it is amazing and what a stride. IF he can make the derby, so be it...otherwise just do what is best for the horse.

20 Jan 2010 6:10 PM
Zia

Yea!!John gave him a perfect

ride,not letting him get in a trap on the inside and always keeping him in contention,a masterful ride on a very willing Lentenor. I hope that John stays on him. The cherry on top for me was Barbaro's lil'brother

showing KD his heels!!

It was a WONDERFUL race and

so great for the Jacksons &

M.Matz!

20 Jan 2010 6:10 PM
Mary O

You can actually see when Lentenor hit another gear.  The fractions in this race were very fast.

20 Jan 2010 6:12 PM
GinnieJ

What a fabulous day for the many fans of Lentenor!  WAHOO!

So very proud of him .... and so happy for all his good folks.

Can't stop smiling!  Love that fella.

20 Jan 2010 6:14 PM
nonnonheinous

Congratulations to the connections! What an eye-catching victory for Lentenor. 3rd time's a charm, I guess!

Looking forward to what he does next.

20 Jan 2010 6:21 PM
Glassoniongirl

Lentenor rocks! <3

20 Jan 2010 6:24 PM
Madison

Loved the race...lots of goosebumps.  Go Lentenor!!!

20 Jan 2010 6:25 PM
Barbara Kerr

Mazel Tov to the entire Team Jackson and Team Matz!  What an impressive run down the stretch.  Lentinor has hit his own stride.  Way to go.  And thank you very much, Bloodhorse, for posting the video!

20 Jan 2010 6:26 PM
GreyK

Hurray!!  Looks like this colt loves the turf.  Can't wait for him to step up to stakes company and see what he can do.  So sorry to hear Take Control is off the Derby trail.  A great day for all fans of Barbaro

20 Jan 2010 6:30 PM
nannie284

Way to go Lennie!  Great race!  We knew it would be a win for you!  You went from 3rd, to 2nd, so of course it had to be a win today!  Hmmm.  Keep the jockey!  A good match for Lenny!  He broke well and had the lead in sight the whole way.  Didn't get boxed in.  Experience is doing it for you Lenny!

20 Jan 2010 6:33 PM
HorseFirst

Wow--what a treat to come home to! Watched the replay grinning ear to ear. Congratulations to all involved and happy everyone came home safe.

This time, Lentenor didn't put himself at a disadvantage by being late out of the gate.  Seemed to me he was paying more attention this time while in the gate.

Announcer said Lentenor was, "hard held," while running down the backstretch.

I think the best thing that happened to Lentenor was when KD and Rock America came running at him.  Lentenor learned that it was time to gear up and he had the room to run to do it.

Looked to me like Velazquez was keeping Lentenpor's mind on business once he got to the front.  Lentenor seemed to want to look around a little bit.  He's still green but what an improvement a little racing luck and experience makes.  Would love to have heard what Velazquez said to Matz after the race.  It's a progression with the horse and each jockey has had things to teach him and racing circumstances that didn't pan out as well as today.

Is it just me, was it a field of small-sized horses, or is Lentenor just that big? If he is, and he can continue to get out of the gate well and can untangle those long legs for another gear- can't wait to watch the next race!

Derby too far away and Lentenor may be a turf horse.  Don't care! Will enjoy all the races.

20 Jan 2010 6:37 PM
Passrush2006

Way to go Lenny!!  I honestly think he's gonna succeed on the turf!  Nothing wrong with being a turf horse! :)

20 Jan 2010 6:39 PM
stardustyrose

I have always loved the way John Velazquez rides.  He rode my favorite mare (whom most of you know who that is) to the winner's circle a lot.  :)  Boy coming around that final turn, it was great.  Kent got ahead for a tad.  I can just see it now.  NO WAY Kent, you're not beating me today!! :)

♥Lentenor♥

20 Jan 2010 6:42 PM
Fire Slam

Good Luck with Johnny V. on this horse.

Not saying no more.

20 Jan 2010 6:43 PM
stardustyrose

Zia.....

Boy I loved that!!!!  ;)

20 Jan 2010 6:43 PM
s lee

Nicely done, team, nicely done!  What a fun win.  It's always fun when your horse wins, and esp fun when he (or she) does it easy!

Great "pickup" jockey.  Seems like the stars were in place.

My heart skipped a few beats with the near crash at the quarter pole.  Got to give that Parthian colt some credit for regaining his balance.  He wasn't interested in running on after clipping heels, and I hope he came home ok.

Let's hope for a long and healthy spring for all!

20 Jan 2010 6:45 PM
Arem

Hooray!!

Now to see what will come next! : )

How's Nicanor doing these days?

20 Jan 2010 6:47 PM
Skywalker

I watched the race live on HRTV and it was very impressive I was rooting for him all teh way and he pulled off a big one=) GO LENTENOR

20 Jan 2010 6:50 PM
Ida Lee

First my racing Goddess Rachel wins HOY and now this beautiful, beautiful boy Lentenor wins so impressively. Wow, what a week!!! Lentenor looks so much like my beloved Barbaro but it's all about Lentenor now. Congratulations to his connections and thank you so much for sharing him with us.

20 Jan 2010 6:51 PM
Peggy S

During that stretch run, he had the same big stride, and joy that his brother had - the way he peeks over the shadow roll and has such an obvious good time. So glad to see that he loves what he does, just like Barbaro. That is what I missed seeing the most.

20 Jan 2010 6:52 PM
Barbaro8

Dear Lentenor,

Keep up the good work.  Your big brother is smiling proudly.....

20 Jan 2010 6:53 PM
EasyGoerFan

When I saw Lentenor in the post parade, I knew he was the winner.  He is a gorgeous horse.  I saw him at Keeneland in his career debut and he did not look like a 2yo.  He is very impressive to look at and, you know what?  He can flat out run.  I see room for improvement in his focus down the stretch but the talent is there for sure.

20 Jan 2010 6:56 PM
anniedixie65

Didn't get to see the race, but sounds like you dominated!! WOO HOO!! I knew you would do it today! Maybe a couple stakes races on dirt hopefully. Then if we get really lucky maybe we'll be seeing you in the winner's circle at the Derby! High hopes!

20 Jan 2010 6:58 PM
Cal Gal

Watched the race on HrtV Live Streaming Full Screen and while in the gate, Lentenor was focusing on the track ahead of him, never looking away from it. He stood stock still, at attention and fully focused and then he broke perfectly and "the rest is history."  The first of many great races from a great young horse..

20 Jan 2010 7:04 PM
Liv

Knew he'd win it!!! Congrats to Lenny and his connections!!

20 Jan 2010 7:04 PM
Jeana

Congrat's to the big beautiful boy. Way to show'em. Lentenor, your brothers all are proud of you. Can't wait to see you do it again.

20 Jan 2010 7:05 PM
Kate

Im just hoping, that after this first victory  he´ll  make it to the Derby! Looking forward to that. Wouldn´t that be great -- the next Derby winner after Barbaro in the family?

Good Job Lenny! Knew you would make it! :-)

20 Jan 2010 7:05 PM
Tiznowbaby

Nice turn of foot. Green changing leads, but he looked good.

20 Jan 2010 7:08 PM
MJ

We knew it!  Ever since we first saw these brothers we knew they could win.  Goodbye naysayers

Congrats to Michael, Peter, the Jacksons and all involved.

So very happy

20 Jan 2010 7:14 PM
MJ

Keep Johnny V!  Just love him

20 Jan 2010 7:14 PM
Marilyn

You're on your way now handsome!!!!  Could we see you on the first Saturday in May????

20 Jan 2010 7:19 PM
Joanne RN Richmond

This big boy has a very special Equine Angel watching over him....his big brother, Barbaro. Lentenor reminds me so much of Barbaro and I have always believed Lentenor would be special as he was concieved and developing while Barbaro was fighting for his life. I see him as a Derby contender for sure. Blessings, precious one. Joanne RN Richmond

20 Jan 2010 7:23 PM
Susan

Very beautiful win. Lenny has such a big stride and moves just like Barbaro did. I know its early but a Kentucky Derby horse in the making hes on my derby lists.

20 Jan 2010 7:37 PM
darlene

way to go Lentenor, I knew you could do it Barbaro is so proud of you and so am I  stay safe and keep the ky derby in mind

Congrates to all the connections

20 Jan 2010 7:50 PM
Linda/Maryland

OMG~!! I was holding my breath when I booted up my pc tonight OMG how wonderful~!!! I just knew it was going to be this race!!! I am so excited ~!!

Great Job Lentenor !!!!! Your'e absolutely beautiful, and so much like your brother. You have made him proud.

Congratulations to Michael Matz and the Jacksons, I know that you are jumping for joy too!!

Love you Lenny~!

20 Jan 2010 7:50 PM
Pep

YEAH LENNY!!!!!!!  congrats <3 :D  so exciting :)

20 Jan 2010 7:58 PM
josue555

great victory and great ride by john velazquez, they probably going to try him in dirt at the florida dery.

20 Jan 2010 8:03 PM
Marilyn

Way to go Lentenor!  What was so impressive is that you seemed to be having so much fun!  I'm so looking forward to watching to romp in many many more races to come!  Congratulations to you, Mr. Matz, and the wonderful Mr. and Mrs. Jackson!

20 Jan 2010 8:03 PM
Sandy

Wow!!!! Congratulation Lentenor you really looked great but I must say it brought a tear to may eye because you look so much like big brother, Barbaro.  I love you and wish you the best just remember be safe always.

20 Jan 2010 8:03 PM
DAL

Third time the charm Lentenor!  Liked what I saw when you kicked in. I know Big Bro was smiling.

20 Jan 2010 8:17 PM
Jonas luva

Go Lentenor!!!! Way to win!

20 Jan 2010 8:19 PM
Ms Carol .....

GOD BLESS LENTENOR!

20 Jan 2010 8:20 PM
El Kabong

The big kids always take a little longer to get their legs under them but that was a very coordinated big 3 year old running comfortably. The best is yet to come on this one.  He's destined to run the roses and won't that be fun if he makes it. Congratulations to the Jacksons and Mr. Matz. I hope all roads lead to Louisville. Back to work with everyone concerned. History is waiting.

20 Jan 2010 8:31 PM
raceon

On a sad and depressing day, Lentenor gave me something to smile about.  He looked as though he could have gone on for a bit more, which I always like to see a horse win with fuel left in the tank.  I am so happy for the entire team.  Mr. Matz, I've respected your work for a very long time.  You and the Jacksons are true horsemen and my hat goes off to you all for your care and handling of these beautiful and precious horses.  Thank you.

20 Jan 2010 8:37 PM
KelliK

Way to go Lenny! We all knew it was just a matter of time! Here's to a healthy and victorious 2010 for you and your family!

20 Jan 2010 8:38 PM
MRO

How exciting! I knew he'd do it. I'm going to have a blast watching him this year.

20 Jan 2010 8:44 PM
Kim

Good race for Lenny.  He looked just like Barbaro when he took off at the top of the stretch.  I'm sure Michael will take care of of Lenny and his race schedule.

20 Jan 2010 8:47 PM
Kathy from Toledo

TOLD YOU the FOBs were confident about Lentenor. B Nicanor, Lentenor, and their full baby brother are the real deal. They show their class, as their brother Barbaro did. Fasten your seat belts, there is more to come......

20 Jan 2010 8:47 PM
horselover

Way to go Lenty wow with a win like that and the Derby trail in consideration he should be a top contender but horse first so will rooting for him and he looked great a handsome boy he is keep going straight and never look back. Go Lenty love you!!!

20 Jan 2010 8:53 PM
Gates of Eden

That'll do. That'll do, Lentenor... Now do some more like that right there.  Looked good and like his brothers...Next???

20 Jan 2010 8:57 PM
Robin

Way to go!!! Lentenor came out of the gate and never looked back.  Didn't hurt to have Johnny V up.  Turning for home he was all business.  Congrats to the entire team!!! Know that Big Brother is watching and smiling.  Would be wonderful to have a TC run.  I hope that he comes out of the race ok, and also hope that Jose is ok from his earlier incident.  God Bless to all.

20 Jan 2010 9:02 PM
Denise

Couldn't watch this race as I was at a training program for a new job. As soon as I got home off to the computer I went. Tears of joy came to my eyes.  WAY TO GO LENNY!

Congrats to the Jacksons and all their connections including the jockey1 Reminded me of Barbaro! Your big brother is proud of you!

20 Jan 2010 9:03 PM
Lou in TX

Oooooh I am so happy for Lentenor, MM and the Jacksons. Thank you Ron for the video because I didn't get to see it live.

All of us FOB's are sooo lucky to have a family of brothers to watch at the track. Can you imagine what it will be like when Nicanor is back racing????  We have have a full schedule of racing for the Barbaro Family.

I to thought he looked a lot like Barbaro going down the home stretch but I think Nicanor looks like him to. Can't wait to see Babynor again and Fillynor for the first time.  Oh what a family!!

We love you Lenny and hope you came home healthy and you sure should be happy.  Hope you get lots of peppermints and good treats for your effort today. Have a good night sleep pretty boy.

20 Jan 2010 9:12 PM
TapitsGal

great job on your win Lenny!Hopefully they'll try a Turf stakes next time out..I'm doubtful about the Derby cuz i don't know if four months is enough prep time for him to get the experience and graded earnings..If he won the Belmont or Preakness it'd be awesome

20 Jan 2010 9:19 PM
jclson(fan of nicanor)

Stardustyrose i saw that when Kent was coming ahead of Lentenor.  Lentenor kicked his u know what.  Way to Lentenor.  I also saw him looking around he was looking at the crowd the while he was running the jockey straighened him right up.

20 Jan 2010 9:31 PM
Kimby

Having met Lentenor in person, I have an especially soft spot in my heart for him. WAY TO GO!  Congratulations to all involved with Team Lentenor.

20 Jan 2010 9:35 PM
JDsopinion

Very impressive! He ran within himself but got challenged, ran in tight quarters the first quarter, made it look easy coming home. The times were good too. Big step up and a big learning race for him. Hope he continues to improve and see him in stakes company next. Have 2 brothers ever both won the Derby??? Anyone?

20 Jan 2010 9:38 PM
IVY77

What a wonderful, wonderful day.  Thank you, Lentenor, Mr. Matz and the the Jacksons for giving us this wonderful day.  Congratulations all around.

20 Jan 2010 9:39 PM
jon

I had deja vu watching Kent Desormeaux today, as he roared up to try to take command, then his mount came up empty-like Big Brown. He seems to like to do that.

Meanwhile, I did say before that Lentenor's last race was faster than than the Remsen, and that told me Lentenor is a terrific horse. I have to say Matz seems to be more cautious than other trainers, so he may opt for a lower stakes, or run on the dirt.

Interesting that Matz is tipping his hand a little bit to say that one has to think of a Triple Crown Race...that from a cautious guy whose horse hasn't raced, let alone won, on dirt. So...what does Matz know that he isn't saying? His horse just won a 45,000 race and he belongs in the Triple Crown. He does indeed.

Yes, today's race was $45,000, but Lentenor proved he'll make ANY 3 year old (except Blind Luck) look like a claimer. He had smooth acceleration, reacted to a premature challenge, and kept up with a blazing pace on the turf that looked more like sprint on dirt. This horse was hardly used today, and I will say that if he should run well on dirt, then God help his competition.

I also said Lentenor was faster than Nicanor, who ran a 104 Beyer, and if today's race was any indication of potential, Lentenor will run 115-120 Beyers on the dirt, and will be much more powerful than any other competitor on any surface.

20 Jan 2010 9:41 PM
HorseFirst

Thanks to Bloodhorse for this site.

Hope Jose is OK and back on his mounts tomorrow.

As I look at it again, I didn't even see Velazquez go to the whip until he was out in front, he had KD and his horse already put away without it. Maybe JAJ can comment, it also looked to me like Velazquez was hitting him on his shoulder, didn't see that hand really go back but the video kind of fuzzy here.  Maybe just telling Lentenor to pay attention?

20 Jan 2010 9:45 PM
stardustyrose

Did anyone happen to notice the gate training that Lentenor had today?  He was perfection from the very beginning.  :)

♥Lentenor♥

20 Jan 2010 9:52 PM
Karen in Indiana

Wonderful!

And it's great to see his team taking their time and letting him grow and mature. He's gonna do good!

20 Jan 2010 10:03 PM
SQ

I Can't Get Over How Much he Looks like Barbaro-Great Job!!! Derby Trail 2010!!!

20 Jan 2010 10:06 PM
Kathy

Congratulations Lentenor. The Jacksons, Mike Matz, Peter Brette and all others must be so proud of you. I saw the race and you were magnificent!!!

20 Jan 2010 10:51 PM
Johnny

This is awesome news! I'm just so happy.  Keep the pedal to the medal baby!

20 Jan 2010 10:59 PM
Bonnie

Well, well, another powerhouse from the Jackson family.  Thanks for taking such good care of your horses.  And, Michael Matz, what a true horseman!  After the race he ran over to see Lentenor and gave him an affectionate pat on the neck just to let him know he did a good job, which he certainly did!

20 Jan 2010 11:12 PM
Kate

WOOHOO! Go Lentenor!

Though the win was slightly tainted by seeing that Take Control is on a 60 day break...I was hoping he'd make the Derby.

20 Jan 2010 11:15 PM
brettzky99

Impressive is the versatility this colt has displayed in three starts.  He was able to stalk the quick fractions, fire , and finish quite easily.  In his last start he rated back, and closed a touch late, but if he was going another half-furlong, he passes Mott's colt.  He did clearly get clumsy changing leads at the top of the lane, but it was obvious Velasquez recognized how much horse he had left coming off the far turn.  The final time was very strong, as was the mile split; the beyer will be high.  I cant wait to see him at 9 furlongs, although the retention of Velasquez would appear difficult, with the strength of Pletcher's three year old roster.  Great mount though; nice, fast, two turn maiden race.

20 Jan 2010 11:41 PM
Ofelia

Saw the race-nobody was catching that boy!! He looked so much like Barbaro-even the way he runs.

what a joy!

20 Jan 2010 11:48 PM
Bobby

wow, the way Lentenor stretches out at the top of the stretch is reminiscent of the mighty Curlin! Of course, Lenny is just getting started, but impressive win.. would love to see him start prepping for the Derby.. :-)

20 Jan 2010 11:51 PM
RacingFan 2006

I only have one thing to say...WOW!  Johnny V rode him to perfection.  Let's see if they can get him in another race or two and then send him to the Florida Derby.  He really did look like Barbaro running today

21 Jan 2010 12:06 AM
AukBlues22

Great ride by John.  Man when Rock America went past it looked like Lennt said "Oh no you don't" and floored it.  Seems that he is happy stalking and playing but like his brother, does not like being passed up.  Think it ticked him off lol.  Great, great race and can definitely see him maturing.  Johnny's a good jock.  Hopefully Matz will keep him on for another race or two and see if these two have magic.  Speaking of thinking small, Lenny comes from a turf family on both sides.  Why not go for the 10m in Dubai next year?

21 Jan 2010 12:15 AM
Les

Way to go Lentenor! Coming down the stretch, he reminded me of his big brother, Barbaro.

Congrats to his connections! I can't wait to see where he runs next.

Any news on Nicanor? Hopefully this will be a very exciting year for Barbaro's family.

21 Jan 2010 12:27 AM
BarbarosDerby132

What a fantastic race that was. I was very impressed how he hit that extra gear going into the stretch. Remind you of someone? Congrats Lentenor to a wonderful and brilliant victory. Cheers to a bright future.

21 Jan 2010 12:40 AM
Amateurcapper

Congrats to all you LaVille Rouge family lovers.  I really hope that Lentenor and Nicanor get to do what they were bred to do...stay on the grass.  Barbaro's turn of foot on the lawn was amazing.  Looks like Lentenor has that same stamina and kick.

IMO, the dirt courses are too hard to race over for the big colts this family produces.  Their 1/2 brother was retired due to a suspensory lig. injury...we all know what happened to Barbaro.

Also, I'd love to see Matz take his time with the family as a whole.  They'll have stronger bones and ligaments as a result.  The Colonial series (Turf Cup, Virginia Derby) and the Secretariat at AP would be ideal races to point them to.  Let Barbaro carry  their legacy on the dirt with his decisive Derby win.

21 Jan 2010 1:07 AM
stardustyrose

Kathy from Toledo.....

Yeah now what do the naysayers have to say.  Lenty 3,2,1.  Not shabby at all!  He is only getting better & better.  Love him so much.  Beautiful he is too. :)

21 Jan 2010 1:20 AM
Kingred

Nice to see this horse coming along.  But do not kid yourselves he is not his brother.  The first time I saw Barbaro  run in the Holly Bull I told anyone who would listen that horse would win the Derby.  He most likely was the best horse of our generation!  It will be a long time until we see anything like him again!

21 Jan 2010 3:43 AM
bill from long island

Thatta boy lentenor.  I saw you run second in New York, and I knew you had more in you to be able to win some races.  I wanna see you in the starting gate on the first Saturday of May 2010.

21 Jan 2010 3:45 AM
Zia

Stardustyrose,

I will NEVER forget!! Forgiving is still a long way off!

He can eat our boy's dust in

every race!

21 Jan 2010 4:10 AM
Rachel

That was a nice race...got the mile in 1:34:99, listens to the rider and a nice turn of foot...he is a legit top tier colt. If I was Matz I'd be "pretty happy", too! LOL.

21 Jan 2010 5:26 AM
shane

great race....I love his action down the stretch. I love the ride he got in the race too. great position and confident ride.

21 Jan 2010 5:27 AM
sophiekea

What a beautiful colt and the way he won was amazing. It would be wonderful to see him succeed.

21 Jan 2010 6:01 AM
Criminal Type

Ok, I finally got to watch the race and Lentenor looked great. He is very beautiful and does resemble Barbaro, but he sure proved he was his own man out there on the track. He beat some nice pedigree's and made it look easy.

It will be interesting to see if any of the rest who ran come back and win. I did notice after he left the rest of the horses behind that he was gawking around a bit...looking at the stands...maybe he just wanted to make sure everyone was watching him, because he know's he is going to be a star.

Psssst.....Don't we get our filly in about 8 weeks? I was just wondering how LVR is getting along. No name for the yearling yet?

21 Jan 2010 6:16 AM
RhondaH

Whoohoo. . Great Race. . .

He seemed to really turn it on at the turn.

21 Jan 2010 6:57 AM
MRO

Fillynor! I like that!

21 Jan 2010 7:30 AM
Susie

Why is every horse that breaks it's maiden immediately "on the Derby trail?"  1 and 2 other than MCSR are written so young horses can learn to race.  Dropping them into tough races destroys them.

21 Jan 2010 7:40 AM
Bob D.

I was at Keeneland & Aqueduct for Lentenor's first two starts, so the only down side today was that I couldn't be there for his first win, otherwise - SWEET!

I'd love to hear Johnny V's thoughts about this race and this horse.  Looked like he had a whole lot of horse underneath him.

21 Jan 2010 7:57 AM
Breezin

After Barbaro died in 2007, one of the networks did a special on him, and it ended with footage of Lentenor and La Ville Rouge.  If I remember right, there were two text blocks one the screen... something like, "This spring in Kentucky, a full brother to Barbaro was born".  And the last text was "The 2010 Kentucky Derby is on Saturday, May 1."  And then the show ended.  After watching Lentenor win so nicely yesterday, I remembered that program, and it gave me the chills!  If anybody has access to a copy of that show, watch the ending.  It sure looks like it could turn out that way!!!  Great job Lentenor and all of his handlers at the barn!

21 Jan 2010 8:09 AM
CaitlynS

Yeah! GO Lentenor

21 Jan 2010 8:17 AM
Kathy

Well done Lentenor. I am sure that the Jacksons, Michael Matz, Peter Brette and all other connected with you are so proud of you. I saw the race, you were magnificent. May the spirit of Barbaro watch over you.

21 Jan 2010 8:19 AM
DARLA

WAY TO RUN LENTENOR!!!  WHAT A POWER MOVE ON THE TURN.......GREAT RIDE JOHNNY V.!!!!

21 Jan 2010 8:24 AM
Billy's Empire

got the mile in 134.99 and the final sixteenth in 6.03, so he was moving good at the end of that race. I also like the fact that it was a two turn race. Lenny may not have as wide of a chest as Barbaro did, but he has a nice turn of foot and accellerated quickly when that horse ranged up on the outside of him. Let's get him on the dirt by March and see what comes of it. CONGRATS to Lael Stables and Mike Matz..

21 Jan 2010 8:27 AM
Joanne

Congratulations!  He looked so great coming down the stretch - similar to his big brother Barbaro!  I know he was looking down and smiling!  I replay Barbaro's races all the time - love them all.

21 Jan 2010 9:02 AM
ANDREW

Very impressive both visually and based on the actual running time -- especially since Lentenor won by several lengths.  Wonder what the  Beyer speed will be.

Lentenor did several things very well that point to a bright future.

He broke alertly from the rail and showed excellent tactical speed to get into perfect stalking position.  He maintained his perfect stalking position as long as his jockey wanted him to, even though at one point on the backstretch he looked like he wanted to blow past the front runner. And the acceleration around the final turn (he hugged the rail perfectly) and into the finish was very strong.  He didn't lose much speed from 6 furlongs to the mile and an eighth finish, so me may want to go longer.  The way he handled the turn makes me think he would do well at Pimlico -- i.e. the Preakness.

21 Jan 2010 9:03 AM
Deby

Wow!  That was awesome.

21 Jan 2010 9:15 AM
horsefan4life

way to go, Lenny!

21 Jan 2010 9:31 AM
mararacing

As Matz has been high on Lenny right from jump, I expected a win, but very impressed in how he did it, the fractional times and final time. SWEET! Would be nice to see Johnny V stay on him as he definitely taught him a lot in this race but as noted here, Pletcher has several KD horses and is determined to win.  Hope they find a jockey quick that will work well with him and stay with him through the year as I don't see Johnny V giving up his meal ticket. Can't wait for his next race and hope they put him on the dirt! Looking forward to seeing Lenny in person at CD in April.

21 Jan 2010 9:55 AM
anniedixie65

Ok, just watched the replay. He still looked a little green in the stretch, but you just kept pulling away, just like barbaro. Amazing! Very quick fractions. I was very impressed with the mile and finish time, just when everyone was starting to slow down, he just started powering down the stretch keeping the pace. I was looking at my calender, and next month on the 20th happens to be the Fountain of Youth, will his connections be pointing him there? We could only hope!

21 Jan 2010 10:04 AM
DONNA

Lenny and Johnny onward to the Derby the first Saturday in May. You will be the one to make your big brother Barbaro proud!!!!

21 Jan 2010 10:08 AM
Greg J.

Breezin,

Here is the video you spoke of, NBC did the Biography on Barbaro called, "Barbaro-A Nation's Horse".  Here is the last installment, The last thirty seconds closes with these poignant words:

"April 20, 2007, Roy and Gretchen Jackson welcome the birth of a healthy colt, He is the Brother of Barbaro, The 136th Kentucky Derby is May 1, 2010..."

Video:

www.youtube.com/watch

21 Jan 2010 10:09 AM
chris

I drove four hours yesterday to see him race and WOW what a race it was. He was impressive. I love John V and he just proves time and time again what a smart and savy rider he is. I was so hoping he would get the mount after the unfortunate accident in the 4th race. It sounded like Jose wwas OK, hope that is true. Would love to see John ride him again. Would also love to hear what John's impressions were about Lenetnor's performance. Big Brother was certainly looking after Lentenor today and I bet he is all smiles. Way to go Lentenor. I'm saving the winning ticket for....... bigger things ahead!!!!!

21 Jan 2010 10:24 AM
Karen

Lennie - You ROCK!! I just know that big brother Barbaro in Equine Heaven is looking down at you and is so proud of you!

21 Jan 2010 10:47 AM
coolincuse

What a thrill to see the race results, and then to watch the race.  Great ride by Johnny V; he "caught" the ride without any prior experience with Lentenor, I think, and just did a splendid job of rating, and focussing Lenny, getting him to the wire first.  Lenny was wonderful, powerful, and best of all he was responding to his jock.  Way to go, to all the connections!  Wishing all involved a good recovery from the race, and race day, including Jose, and I'll wait impatiently with the rest of our mob here on line to see what's next.  Congratulations to all the other fans, and especially to Lentenor and his connections.

21 Jan 2010 11:04 AM
AshleighL

So happy about the race!  Somehow I just knew it was going to be the day!  :-)

Sad to say guys there isn't going to be a Fillynor.  La Ville Rouge just aborted. :-(

21 Jan 2010 11:43 AM
Beverly

Congratulations Lentenor, Mr. and Mrs. Jackson and Mr. Matz. Barbaro was watching from above guiding his baby brother to a most impressive vistory. May you have many, many more trips to the winners circle Lentenor we are all so very proud of you!!

21 Jan 2010 11:52 AM
DaisyMae

Horray! I'll be watching Lentenor all the way to the finish line.  Be safe.

21 Jan 2010 11:58 AM
s lee

I'd have to look up the records to see if 2 brothers have ever won the Derby (or a brother/sister pair).  Good question.

I know at least 4 father:son pairs did it:

Gallant Fox and Omaha

and

Seattle Slew and Swale

and

Swaps and Chateaugay

and

Count Fleet and Count Turf

(won some money at a trivia contest 1 night with that!)

And at least 2 sons of Blenheim have won the Derby, 1 of them was Whirlaway and I don't remember the other one, but I don't think they had the same dam.  Will go looking!

21 Jan 2010 12:03 PM
mary glynn

So Glad the Colt is improving was a great race to watch. Was sad to Learn of the loss of the  LVR filly. Hope the mare is alright know she is getting the best of care !

21 Jan 2010 12:03 PM
Lou in TX

I want to send my condolences to the Jackson's and everyone with Mill Ridge Farm on the loss of LVR's foal. I know they were all excited as were all of us(FOB's) about her carrying a filly. Just grateful that LVR is o.k. and maybe next time will be better. I am just heart broken for all concerned. My prayers will be with all of you.

On a brighter note, congrats on Lentenor's race yesterday. We were all there with him in spirit. So happy for all of you and that includes MM.

21 Jan 2010 12:13 PM
Cal Gal

Ron, any chance you could get some comments from JohnnyV re his race with Lentenor yesterday? --we'd all love to hear what he has to say about our big brilliant beautiful boy.

Here are some great photos from ABR:

forums.delphiforums.com/.../messages

21 Jan 2010 12:21 PM
Mary O

No full brothers have ever won the Kentucky Derby.  I have the Barbaro DVD.  The DVD has all of Barbaro's races on it.

21 Jan 2010 12:26 PM
Warren Eves

As a senior turf writer I can't tell you how happy I am to see the response to this colt's race.  Obviously many still have Barbaro on their minds.  I spent several hours reviewing the race for our new horse racing website.  I wrote an entire column on the race in which Lentenor won.  If you are so inclined, go to www.pricehorsecentral.com and you will get a words eye description of the many things that took place during this maiden race on the turf.  Keep in mind the inner rail was out as far as I have ever seen.

21 Jan 2010 12:32 PM
Deby

I am so sad to hear about LVR and her filly.  I hope everything is ok with her.

21 Jan 2010 12:37 PM
CV

Wow, Lentenor does look a lot bigger than the other horses. How tall is he?

21 Jan 2010 1:07 PM
Barbara W

Great effort! All the best to Nicanor too! It was heartbreaking to hear about LVR and the filly.

21 Jan 2010 1:15 PM
stardustyrose

chris...

Was Lenty as dark to you as he was to me?  He looked a lot darker like daddy..   :)

♥Lentenor♥

21 Jan 2010 1:37 PM
Criminal Type

Awww, so sad, LVR lost her filly on christmas eve. What a shame, but chances are it was natures way of saying somthing was not right. Hopefully she will recover quickly and be bred back to Dynaformer in the next couple of months and produce a healthy foal next spring.

21 Jan 2010 1:53 PM
Beth

Congrats Lenny, way to go!!

Now, can you please tell us  where your brother Nicanor is?  He  seems to have just dropped off the map!

Hope your Mom is okay...

21 Jan 2010 2:25 PM
Cal Gal

My heartfelt sympathy to the Jacksons, Headley Bell and everyone connected with LVR. I hope and pray that she is recovered and healthy.

My congratulations to the Jacksons, Michael Matz and staff, John Velazquez for his masterful ride, and all connected to Lentenor on his fabulous win yesterday.

I depart from most about things like Match races, Kentucky Derby efforts, etc.  Let Lentenor be Lentenor, he'll show us what he has and what he'll accomplish in his own good time. Barbaro may well be a horse for the ages, but he never got the chance to show what might have been ahead for him. Let's not push Lentenor --let him develop on his own time and in his own way. Michael will know what to do.  He's a great young horse, and you just had to know that from the very beginning -- it was in his conformation and in his eyes and spirit. Let's all just relax and see what he wants to do and what his very capable trainer wants to do with him.  Let's welcome Nicanor back when he's ready and let's just all settle down and enjoy these two fine young horses for themselves...

21 Jan 2010 2:41 PM
Vevita1

Just like Barbaro,he made it look so easy. Coming up the stretch, it was like seeing Barbaro in the Kentucky Derby. Good luck to this magnificent horse.

21 Jan 2010 3:07 PM
Judy G ~ Burbank, CA

If you look at the race again... you can see the outline of another horse with a shadow roll in the heavens - is that brother BARBARO?! Thanks for helping your baby brother get this win! :-)

Stay healthy & safe Lentenor.

21 Jan 2010 3:20 PM
Ragsy

Warren Eves, I read you story and found it interesting, I will be sure to return to your site in the future...

21 Jan 2010 3:42 PM
Bill Rink

Super race, what a great turn of foot, I thought I was watching Barbaro. Ya gotta love this pedigree. Looks like Dynaformer and La Ville Rouge may have created another gentic masterpiece, sure hope so. Good luck to the Jacksons and Michael Matz.

21 Jan 2010 3:44 PM
Breezin

Thank you Greg for the Youtube link!  Of course, I watched it right away, and there is Lentenor as a new foal, running with Mom.  Everyone should check it out!  But be sure to have a few tissues handy....  :)

21 Jan 2010 4:14 PM
Joanne RN Richmond

So sorry to hear about LVR aborting. My prayers are with her to recover; she is such a great mother. I was checking on her status Tuesday when I found out about Lentenor's racing at Gulf Stream. No conincidence. Thanks to everyone who provide news, updates, the video, and additional photos. We're all like brothers and sisters...us FOB's. Looking forward to that first Saturday in May. Did anyone notice that Lentenor paid $4.20 to win and that he was born on 4/20???? That that was cool. Joanne RN Richmond

21 Jan 2010 4:23 PM
Greg J.

John Velazquez, who was aboard Lentenor for the first time on Monday, told Matz after the race that his horse was "on the muscle" from the outset.  "It was beautiful the way he did it once I got him going after that other horse ran at us," said Velazquez. "And he galloped out unbelievable."

On Nicanor:

Matz also reported that Lentenor's older brother Nicanor is about ready to begin breezing again. "He had some bruising on his fetlocks so we just decided to give him time," said Matz. "He's had a couple of two-minute licks at Palm Meadows, and he'll have his first easy breeze next week. You should see him. He's grown so much and really filled out during the time off. If how he looks is any indication of how he'll run this summer, he should have a very good year."

21 Jan 2010 5:50 PM
stardustyrose

Greg J.  Now for the million dollar question.  What IF John Velazquez wants to and MM wants him to remain on Lentenor?  Wouldn't that be odd?

21 Jan 2010 6:03 PM
magge514

Way to go Lentenor! Bill from Long Island... Too bad he didnt do this at Aquaduct. Hope to see you in Kentucky. Geralyn

21 Jan 2010 7:15 PM
Mary B in Md

Congratulations to the Jacksons, Mike Matz and Pete B. What a great job they've done in conditioning Letenor. When that horse ran at hin he met the challenge and had lots left in the tank. Thank you for all of the feedback, including Johnny V's and Mike Matz's comments on the race. The Dynaformer cross on that mare is unbelieveable!!

Can't wait

21 Jan 2010 8:00 PM
Linda/Maryland

I am heartbroken to hear that La Ville Rouge lost her little girl. It is so sad. I am glad that it wasn't anounced until after Lentenor won yesterday. Somehow that seemed to help.

I will be very happy to see Nicanor race again. They are both, Lentenor and Nicanor, so BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21 Jan 2010 8:09 PM
jclson(Fan of Nicanor)

I DON'T KNOW IF HE L OOKS LIKE HIS DAD. IN THESE PICTURES I SEE ALOT OF BARBARO IN HIM.  I DON'T SEE A LOT OF HIS DAD OR MOM. I SEE MORE BARBARO IN LENTENOR THEN I EVER DID IN NICANOR.

21 Jan 2010 8:13 PM
Linda/Maryland

Thanks Gregg for all of your information.

21 Jan 2010 8:14 PM
GreyK

Amateurcapper, I like how you think.  Especially since I live in Virginia and could see this boy!  When Matz said maybe a Triple Crown race wasn't beyond his reach, I felt like Harry Potter under the Sorting Hat, only instead of "Not Slytherin", I was mumbling "Not the Preakness".  Even though Pimlico is the track closest to me, I don't think my stomach could stand it.

So .... better be BELMONT

21 Jan 2010 8:28 PM
Cal Gal

Greg, those comments are music to our ears!

21 Jan 2010 9:54 PM
Kitty Darst

YAHOO!!!

21 Jan 2010 10:45 PM
Lou in TX

Hey Greg J... I hate to sound stupid but what does "on the muscle" mean? Is that a good thing? Thank you for filling in the blanks on what J V thought of his ride.

So glad to hear Nicanor is doing well and can't wait to see him run again. What a pair these two will make. The FOB's are all so lucky to have them both. AND we have Babynor to watch grow up as well.  Things will get right with the Barbaro family once again. It may take some time but no doubt we'll get there together.

21 Jan 2010 11:08 PM
Greg J.

Brettzky99,

Help me out here, Lentenor's Beyer for the race was a 87, I honestly expected it to be higher with those fractions and final time.  Yes, It was rated a "Fast" track and the rail was at 96 feet, And looking at the other turf races on the day, They were also quick.  I don't put al ot of weight on Beyer's when handicapping a race, But, An 87 still makes no sense to me.  Any input on why only a 87 for this race?, Thanks...

22 Jan 2010 12:50 AM
Greg J.

Lou in Tx.,

Hello there, "On the Muscle", It means When a horse is eager to run and is pulling at the bit to GO!!!

Stardustyrose,

On Johnny V. staying aboard Lentenor in the future?  Mr. Pletcher uses Johnny V. on most of his top horses, And, Mr. Pletcher has a very talented group of three year old colts(Eskendereya, Discreetly Mine, Super Saver, Aikenite, Rule, Interactif, Mission Impazible, Etc..), So, I have no idea what the future path is for Lentenor, But, IMO, If he goes to any of the Triple Crown Races, And, Mr. Pletcher has a colt running, It would be very unlikely Johnny V. would be on Lentenor if he is in one of those races, I hope I am wrong, though...

22 Jan 2010 8:51 AM
JAJ

Greg J,

Beyers figures don't translate well to turf and to synthetics.

I think Lentenor got an 87 because an earlier $25,000 claiming race ran just 3/5ths of a second slower over the same distance (1:41.69 compared to Lentenor's 1:41.02) on the grass.

Last summer my horse ran a 1:41.17 mile and a sixteenth on the turf (.15 of a second slower than Lentenor's race) and was only given an 81 Beyer.  I was surprised.

There are usually only two turf races a day, so it really is hard to compare races.  I don't have the faith in Beyers that others have.

Lou in Tx, this sport is full of jargon!  On the muscle is a description of the horse's attitude.  He will appear "on his toes" (more jargon!).  It is a combination of eagerness, confidence and almost aggression, but all just controlled so he doesn't lose the race in the post parade and paddock.  There is a fine line between a horse being on the muscle (usually a good sign) and getting too stressed out before the race.  Tone down Zenyatta's pre-race antics and you have an idea what on the muscle looks like.  To me, Zenyatta is a hair's breadth away from washing out (more jargon!).

22 Jan 2010 9:02 AM
DianeG

Wow! Congrats! What a win.  I hope their headed in the stakes direction.

22 Jan 2010 9:44 AM
wendyg

So happy for Lentenor, so sorry for his baby sister and mother.  I hope 2010/2011 will hold better things for them.

22 Jan 2010 10:15 AM
wendyg

I'd sure try to keep this jockey.  He looked happy out there, and he didn't look like he was putting much effort into it in the end.  His head was up, he looked like he was looking around a bit.  He just looked like he was having fun.

22 Jan 2010 10:26 AM
Criminal Type

Darn you Greg J...LOL...you beat me to the Velazquez comments ! Oh well, breaking the news over here was a longshot anyway.

22 Jan 2010 11:54 AM
GreyK

Greg, thanks for that YouTube video link.  I was so annoyed when NBC left that off the DVD release because it was on the broadcast.  I'm going to save that link on my computer.

22 Jan 2010 2:20 PM
Dona

My heartfelt sympathy to the family for their loss of the unborn filly from La Ville Rouge and Dynaformer. We were cautioned many times to stay focused and hopeful because until the foal drops, anything can and will happen. I can only say that to all concerned, we the fans share your grief and also mourn you loss.

It is fitting that the announcement came after Lentenors' win because life goes and in doing so, gives birth to hope.

22 Jan 2010 5:23 PM
brettzky99

You know Greg, I agree with your assesment that the BSF seemed low.  My only thought is that Beyer may have adjusted the formula for Turf races slightly, after 6 months worth of data from the modified formula on the synthetics, which began 7-1-2009.  My opinion is purely anectdotal, but if you look at the Turf BSF's on the DRF leaderboard, they seem to be trending lower than last year (as do the BSFs in general).  Granted, you only have three weeks of data--but the times seem to be quite strong especially at GP, where BSF must be factoring a fast surface.  Typically, a sub 1:35 mile, and a 1:41 final, would have seemingly been approx. 95.  I wish I had something more concrete, but to be honest, I am having some issues with my own claiming activity, since I hold Beyer progressions as a valuable tool.

22 Jan 2010 5:33 PM
Marigold

Based on those remarks,it's clear that Lentenor's jockey was extremely impressed by him. Perhaps, if he thinks he has a better chance for more wins with Lentenor than the otherh orses in Todd P's barn, he'll elect to go with Lentenor?  One can hope...

22 Jan 2010 5:35 PM
Penny in Tx

Good for you Lentenor!  Such a proud moment for you.

22 Jan 2010 5:55 PM
evelynmarr

I have to leave just one more comment: I hadn't watched the video or seen the race when i left the other comment, but OH MY GOSH the shivers went up and down my spine watching him cross that line. We all know why, and with that I will admit tears came to my eyes..Lenny had his brother Barbaro's wings on...

22 Jan 2010 6:19 PM
Lou in TX

Thanks Greg J and JAJ for the info. I'm glad that was a good saying. Lenny may have some growing and maturing to do but he sure seems like he means busineess when on the track.

Greg J...hope you are feeling better. Ear infections are no fun.

I'm still having trouble accepting what happened to Fillynor. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of LVR's connections. I guess we now need to concentrate on Babynor. I imagine Mrs Jackson has had a hard time, since their loss, to think about a name so we need to be patient. I know how this has affected me so I can only imagine how the Jackson's feel.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

22 Jan 2010 6:32 PM
HorseFirst

Greg J, thanks so much for your snippets of information.

JAJ, thanks for trying to explain everything.

I did a little research on John Velazquez and his association with Todd Pletcher seems to go back a long way.  So even if Lententor was pointed towards the Derby, and I think that's still a big if at this time, given Velazquez's long history with Pletcher, he'll probably be on a Pletcher horse in the Derby and beyond.  Things could change, who knows?  But the odds are pretty long.

JAJ, I know how uncomfortable it is if a horse doesn't change leads both front and back and crossfires, just in normal riding.  Does that ever happen in a race and if it does, the horse can't maintain it's speed, can it?

22 Jan 2010 6:45 PM
Cal Gal

From Jeremy Plonk, ESPN.com Countdown to the Crown

"...along came Barbaro's little brother LENTENOR to pull off a "wow" performance unmatched in the maiden ranks this season. Call me crazy, but LENTENOR is No. 6 this week nationally among prospects, just below the proven commodities up top. He was THAT impressive. Welcome to the Countdown, baby!"

"Normally stakes races get the "lead" in the critic's corner, but Wednesday's maiden win on turf by LENTENOR (Michael Matz) slammed the trump card down on the table. The Dynaformer colt, full brother to 2006 Derby champ Barbaro, was phenomenal in his turf return at 1-1/16 miles. From the inside post, he accelerated fantastically going into the first turn to secure position in the huge field. Then, forced to chase a rapid pace by a hopeless longshot, he professionally took the lead, fended off a swooping challenge by firster ROCK AMERICA (Bill Mott) and rocketed away in the lane to win by 3-1/2 widening lengths while galloping out like a beast. While LENTENOR might be better on grass, lest we forget, so was Barbaro! He won the '06 Derby as an unbeaten champ while running on his second-favorite surface.

I'm giddy about LENTENOR off this race, and I wasn't part of the heart-felt hype heading into it. To come home in :23.59 and :06.03 splits after chasing a :46.94 opening half-mile is flat-out sensational. And physically he looks like a dominating world-beater in the hands of a master horseman in Michael Matz, who says LENTENOR also works very well on the dirt."---Jeremy Plonk

22 Jan 2010 9:22 PM
MJ

Warren,

Thanks for the link to your blog

22 Jan 2010 9:55 PM
Lou in TX

In case some of you FOB's didn't know, you can leave your condolences for the Jackson's etc. on the Guest Book at Mill Ridge Farm. Just open up Barbaro's Family and you will see Guest Book.

There is also an article by Jeremy Plonk on the ESPA Horse Racing site. Be sure and read down to Everyone's Critic. He has some wonderful things to say about our boy Lenny.

htt://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?/columnist=plonkjeremy&id=4850368.

Hope that works.

Lenny, I hope you are getting lots of good treats for your great effort on Wednesday. We all love you and Nicanor and Babynor. Your are the rays of sunshine in our lives and hearts.

Have a great weekend everyone.

22 Jan 2010 11:19 PM
jon

I was surprised by the 87 Beyer, and here's the Byer trend...64, 79, 87, or 15, and 8, difference between races. I suspect Lentenor's best race hasn't been run yet, and he really wasn't tested in this race. That 87 wouldn't be good enough against some of the top 3 year olds-at face value, however, Lentenor is considered to be faster than Nicanor, who ran a 104.

Thus, while I worried, initially, that Lentenor's 87 seemed low compared to the race itself, he ran fluidly, easily held under pressure, and I think Rockamerica was intimidated.

If Matz is thinking of the Triple Crown, Lentenor would have to run on dirt, run a Beyer over 100, and be able to run with rabbits. My guess is, Lentenor can do whatever is needed to win. I didn't see any evidence that he was tired by the 1 and 1/16 race, so I doubt 87 is the top of Lentenor's ability, but more like the bottom and he did what was needed without stressing himself.

If Lentenor makes the Derby, he'd ened to win some grade 1's before Derby day to qualify, and he'd need to switch to dirt. I think he can do that, and Matz seems to know that already.

So the question is...what dirt races would suit Lentenor and add to the bankroll without stressing the horse. I would say the Florida Derby. The Gotham, The Wood. I don't think we've seen the best of Lentenor yet, but we will in these races, and he'll go from a FOB to world class race horse.

23 Jan 2010 4:57 PM
Ragsy

Warren Eves,I have re-read your story on Lenny (Lentenor) and what happened during that race was describe to perfection by you.  Thanks

Greg J thanks for the video link...

God Bless all that love the Brothers3.....

24 Jan 2010 12:36 PM
Marigold

The Kentucky Derby was our beloved Barbaro's great accomplishment, let Lentenor and Nicanor have their own special accomplishments.

The Derby is not required, nor is the Triple Crown.

24 Jan 2010 2:51 PM
Greg J.

Alright, I am reaching for the Stars here regarding Lentenor's path, I will probably be completely wrong :)

My projected path for Lentenor:

2/20 Fountain of Youth Stakes(G2) at Gulfstream at 1 1/8 Miles on dirt...

3/20 Florida Derby(G1) at Gulfstream at 1 1/8 Miles on Dirt...

That would be six weeks out from the Kentucky Derby...

I know this is a very ambitious path and it all depends on him remaining healthy and doing well(1,2,3 in both races) plus racing luck...

If Lentenor were to finish in the top three in both races, He would qualify in Graded Earning's for the 2010 Kentucky Derby...

We shall see :)

24 Jan 2010 8:10 PM
Kathy

FYI, I checked Gulfstream Park website and I saw Lentenor listed in the Hallandale Beach nominations.

25 Jan 2010 8:38 AM
Greg J.

I am BACK....

Nicanor

Your Comment: Barbaro's Big Little Brother...

Date: January 25, 2010

Track: PALM MEADOWS TRAINING CENTER

Distance: Three Furlongs

Time: 38:00 Breezing

Track Condition: Fast

Surface: Dirt

Rank: 2/5

25 Jan 2010 12:32 PM
Lou in TX

If Lentenor does run in the Hallandale (Sun Feb 7th) that only gives him 2 weeks for rest and training. Do you really think he will run him that soon? Just asking not being critical.  I like Greg's guess for Feb. 20th, Fountaain of Youth. That at least gives him more time.

Happy to see Nicanor is back in training. Now we will have to watch for when he's ready to run again. I'd love to see a pic of him since MM says he has grown a lot. Now things are starting to get exciting. Two brothers to watch!!! Way to go!

25 Jan 2010 7:58 PM
Gavin J.

Good tip Kathy...Lentenor is also nominated for the Florida Derby. They had him for the Dania Beach which already ran and he didn't go there, but at least Matz and the owners are keeping their options open...can't wait to hear officially where MM is pointing him next...

26 Jan 2010 2:52 PM
Marigold

Another one joins the bandwagon:

www.everyjoe.com/.../kentucky-derby-top-10-jan-25th

26 Jan 2010 4:19 PM
Cal Gal

JeremyPlonk's evaluation (see above, my earlier post) of Lentenor is so glowing that it make Jon's enthusiasm pale.  Jon, tell us about yourself.  And how did you become such a big Lentenor fan?  Also, I must say, your comments are completely validated by Mr. Plonk. Congrats!

26 Jan 2010 4:28 PM
Mary O

If MM is thinking about the Kentucky Derby, Lentenor's next race will be a graded stakes on the dirt.  After his maiden win, MM said that Lentenor was a great horse to have.

26 Jan 2010 7:26 PM
CURLINLOVER

What a beautiful boy! Good job Lentenor!!! Keep up the good work! Barbaro lives through you, and we're cheering for you, Lentenor!

Good luck!

27 Jan 2010 12:27 PM
Pearly

Way to go lenny. I am sorry that u wont be getting a sister. This really stinks.Maybe next year....

27 Jan 2010 5:52 PM
MrPunter

Lentenor looked awesome. The race was run with very quick fractions and Lentenor looked like he was just warming up. Very strong at the end with beautiful action. More good things to come from this baby brother of Barbaro.

30 Jan 2010 8:47 AM
Marigold

Regarding the video above, be sure to watch it all the way through!  You'll see Lentenor come into the Winner's Circle and stomp his rear foot like Nicanor did in the Winner's Circle the first time.  You'll also see just how very big Lentenor is -- he dwarfs Michael and the others.

04 Feb 2010 2:48 PM