Lentenor 6-1 Morning Line Odds in Florida Derby

Lentenor will attempt to duplicate the feat or his full brother by winning the Florida Derby and has drawn the No.2 post at morning line odds of 6-1. Trainer Michael Matz said he opted to enter the son of Dynaformer-La Ville Rouge in Saturday race at Gulfstream Park over the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct on April 3. Both are grade I races.

Florida Derby Field

Saturday, March 20th at Gulfstream Park

1. Soaring Empire, E. Castro, 20-1

2. Lentenor, A. Garcia, 6-1

3. Pulsion, C. Nakatani, 12-1

4. Pleasant Prince, J. Leparoux, 15-1

5. Game On Dude, J. Rose, 12-1

6. First Dude, R. Dominguez, 8-1

7. Rule, J. Velazquez, 5-2

8. Ice Box, J. Lezcano, 15-1

9. Miner's Reserve, K. Desormeaux, 6-1

10. Best Actor, J. Castellano, 20-1

11. Radiohead, E. Prado, 3-1

"We just thought he's down here right now and it would be less traumatic thing to do rather than flying up there," Matz said by telephone, adding that looking at the probable fields for each of the Kentucky Derby prep races as a slight factor. "Right now we were just looking for a spot for him to go in - the Florida Derby or the Wood. We entered in the Florida Derby. But we might even consider the Wood. We don't know what post position we have for the Florida Derby and who knows if the track comes up sloppy."

Barbaro used the Florida Derby as the springboard to his Kentucky Derby victory in 2006.

Lentenor has won or placed in all of his four starts, with a record of one win, two seconds, and a third. After breaking his maiden impressively in January, Lentenor finished second at 9-10 odds in a 1 1/8 mile turf race at Gulfstream Park on Feb. 17.

ChristiFromTN

All right.. lets go Lentenor!!

17 Mar 2010 2:13 PM
k.w.j........n.c.

hi all i think he is ready ....go for ithe will surpirse everyone wish him safe race go len.

17 Mar 2010 2:17 PM
Glassoniongirl

Woo! Go Lenntenor! never doubted that boy! :D

17 Mar 2010 2:20 PM
Marigold

You GO, Baby Boy!! We'll all be rooting you on!

17 Mar 2010 2:22 PM
Beth

Good luck Lennie,  I am dying to see how you like the dirt and it would be fantastic if you could win the Florida derby.

No sight-seeeing this time, Dude,  this is serious stuff now a Derby prep race!

17 Mar 2010 2:23 PM
ona

Great news....I thank Lentenors connections for giving him a chance to show his capability. On paper, he looks as good as any of the current contenders and I for one am so glad he will get the chance to prove it. Thanks for the heads up, bloodhorse.

Now, do your stuff Lentenor. We fans are here for you.

17 Mar 2010 2:23 PM
Greg J.

The weather for Friday and Saturday is Sunny with highs in the seventies...

Post position's will be drawn after the last race today at Gulfstream...

Here is the Field:

Lentenor/Alan Garcia

Rule/Johnny V.

Best Actor/Castellano

First Dude/Dominguez

Game On Dude/Rose

Ice Box/Lezcano

Pleasant Prince/Leparoux

Pulsion/Nakatani

Radiohead/Prado

Soaring Empire/Castro

Godspeed Lentenor...

17 Mar 2010 2:29 PM
The Rock

I'd be shocked if he won. Especially without graded stakes experience.

17 Mar 2010 2:29 PM
nvsally

Run Swift and Run Safe Lentenor!!!

17 Mar 2010 2:32 PM
Karen, PA

What a terrific and bold move!

I love that Lentenor doesn't have to ship and that he is down in FL and lightening ready to go !

Bring the win home, Lentenor !!!!

Safe and sound, big boy.  There is an enormous force of appreciation and positive will behind you.

17 Mar 2010 2:34 PM
DCNative611

OMG, this is surprising and yet exciting news.  3 yr. olds can blossom at any time, maybe it's Lenny's time!

17 Mar 2010 2:39 PM
ninecatsandlivesalone

Oh, I just know he'll win! He's the fastest 3 year old in the country, and he has the greatest team ever! I hope I can watch it with all my babies lined up on the couch with me - and all wearing their freshly kitted silks, of course!

17 Mar 2010 2:45 PM
ninecatsandlivesalone

GregJ - where do you get that information? I simply don't know anybody who has their finger on the pulse of the racing world like you!

17 Mar 2010 2:46 PM
MiamiPammi

Bought my Florida Derby tickets as soon as they became available for sale at Gulfstream. I just had that feeling Lentenor would end up in this race & I wasn't going to miss it! I was lucky enough to be there to see Barbaro win it in '06 and now this news makes it all the more special!! The weather here is supposed to be gorgeous & sunny on Saturday so the track should be in great shape.

Good luck to Lentenor and his connections! Have a safe trip and we'll see you in the Winner's Circle.....

17 Mar 2010 2:46 PM
Marilyn

I have faith in you Lenny.  You can win this - I just know it.  Big Brother will be right by your side and he will show you the way to the winners circle.

17 Mar 2010 2:47 PM
Dona

Make that Dona not ona!  I was so excited reading the news, I misspelled my own name.

This is what we've dreamed of. May all our dreams and best wishes come true. Thank you, thank you, Mr and Mrs Jackson and thank you Lentenor, for being you.

17 Mar 2010 2:55 PM
Rechelle

The only horse entered that I worry about beating Lentenor is Rule.  I hope that Matz is putting blinkers on him, he gets easily distracted, just like Nicanor.  There is no reason why Lentenor can't win this race, he's got the talent & the speed.  Out of Nicanor & Lentenor, L is the more talented colt and he does appear to like the dirt track.

SOOOO happy to see that Matz is taking some chances with him.  Would love to see him in the Kentucky Derby!

17 Mar 2010 2:59 PM
Tracy

Have a safe trip and you can do it.Love you Lentenor!!!

17 Mar 2010 3:02 PM
DCNative611

That is an impressive field; especially with RULE and RADIOHEAD.  WOW!  This race will be a good barometer for where Lenny is and what his future holds.  CAN'T WAIT!

17 Mar 2010 3:14 PM
Marigold

May you run swiftly and safely and successfully, beautiful Lentenor.

We're ALL behind you willing you to the finish line, first.

17 Mar 2010 3:14 PM
MJ

Good luck to Lentenor and his connections

Obviously this is a big step, but Michael has confidence in his abilities. He knows what he is asking of the horse

17 Mar 2010 3:22 PM
cigarello

Lentenor will prove all of the naysayers wrong.  He will WIN the Florida Derby, then follow SWEET BARBARO's path winning the Kentucky DERBY, wearing a #8 saddel cloth.  Wait and see, you heard it here first. Praise the LORD for the Jacksons, Hero Michael Matz, and for giving us BARBARO.  I KNOW Edgar Prado will ride Lenetnor to his victory.  Mark my words!!!!  I'm soooooooooo happpy!!!! Yipeeeeeee!

17 Mar 2010 3:23 PM
dustywhipp

Go LENTENOR! Keep up the Barbaro legacy, boy! Good luck, and stay safe!

17 Mar 2010 3:27 PM
GinnieJ

Oh my goodness!  I'm delighted to read this info and wish Lentenor the very best on Saturday.

Cheers to Lentenor!

17 Mar 2010 3:34 PM
CHRIS

You go Lentenor. I applaud Michael's faith in him and why not give him a chance? He has been in the money in all his races. If he still is green and he has maturing to do, the rest of the three year olds may want to watch out. Just be safe big boy, and do what you do best, run like the wind!!!!!

17 Mar 2010 3:41 PM
Corben

Beth Your Funny does Lentenor Read this site?

17 Mar 2010 3:53 PM
SQ

THIS IS GREAT NEWS! I HOPE LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE!!!!!!

17 Mar 2010 3:59 PM
horsenut23

Time to show them you can run on dirt now. Run fast and be safe!

17 Mar 2010 3:59 PM
jon

Anyone who doubts Lentenor can win this should read about Sir Barton, 1919 Triple Crown winner. He was a maiden when he was coupled with Billy Kelly in The Derby and was a co-favorite as part of the entry. He was supposed to be a foil for Billy Kelly, but ended up winning The Derby and The Preakness, and The Belmont.

Lentenor has the talent. Notice that he's good on the grass, just probably better on the dirt. I think his workout convinced Matz to do this, because we all read that Matz didn't want to ruin him for one race. I remember reading about Seabiscuit, how his trainer had to hide his true talent from the press with early workouts, etc. Matz obviously has a surprise to spring on Saturday, or Lentenor wouldn't be in the race.

As for the competition-I think the withdrawal of Eskendereya helped Matz, and I wonder if there was a side deal to do that, since Matz said he'd evaluate the field to see who was in and then reevaluate. Not a coincidence. I also think Lentenor will obliterate the field, and in a best case scenario, be a favorite in the Derby.

I can't see the hype behind Lookin' at Lucky or Odysseus, since both barely made it home their last races, so honestly, I think Lentenor could be the horse who will surprise these favorites, just as Rags to Riches humiliated the overrated Curlin in The Belmont.

So, if anyone is looking for the next star, or the next big name in racing, look at Lentenor. He's bred for distance, has the speed, and probably needs the challenge to win this. Folks, Matz is a cautious guy, and something positive has happened for him to enter in the Florida Derby, look at The Kentucky Derby, not the Blue Grass and Belmont as reported earlier. Read the tea leaves. We hold the winning lottery ticket...and every horseman out there ought to be very afraid of Lentenor.

17 Mar 2010 4:08 PM
Matt D

Bring Lentenor home safely, Alan.

17 Mar 2010 4:16 PM
smartysgal

Great news!  I'd be surprised, but very, very pleased if Lentenor won the Florida Derby.

I don't suppose it's on TV is it?  I hated the way TVG gave us Rachel and Zenyatta's races this past weekend.  I felt like we were getting leftovers.

Go Lentenor!

17 Mar 2010 4:21 PM
Karen in Indiana

Wow! I was not expecting that! Hope he wins!

17 Mar 2010 4:22 PM
Cassidy

This was the news I was checking BH site for earlier!  Gives me goosebumps.  It's Showtime!  Will be praying for a safe trip and victory:)

17 Mar 2010 4:52 PM
mom2oreo

I'll be there cheering you on Lentenor! Can't wait to see you run. No other horse has the amount of fans behind them. We know you will do us proud!

17 Mar 2010 5:11 PM
anniedixie65

Go Lentenor!! I have a really good feeling about this race, especially after that bullet work! WooHoo!! My bet's on you this weekend!!

17 Mar 2010 5:13 PM
Karen in Texas

What a surprise to see this news! This looks like a nice field---hope Lentenor does well. And, as Greg J. said, Godspeed!

17 Mar 2010 5:16 PM
Brielle

Awesome! There might be a new Barbaro in the house...maybe even better!

17 Mar 2010 5:47 PM
Debbie

Best of luck on Saturday, Lentenor!Did your little brother ever get a name yet?

17 Mar 2010 5:51 PM
Horsefirst

Safe racing to all involved.

Have a good trip Lentenor.  As JAJ said in another post, this is an awfully big step up.  But, if they are still thinking Derby, there isn't much choice.

Whatever the outcome, I hope this is a positive experience for Lentenor.

17 Mar 2010 6:05 PM
geek

Only 1 graded stakes winner in this race (Rule). A Grade 1 win up for grabs. This can be anybody's race. If Lentenor likes the dirt, he has just as much chance as the rest of them. I doubt Matz would enter him on dirt if he hasn't trained well enough on dirt to give the hint that he might like it. This year, the FL Derby seems to be lacking a star, IMO. Lentenor will give the race some much needed shine and maybe this race can make him a star (and what a good story this can be).

17 Mar 2010 6:16 PM
BRYAN T

JOHNNY V OFF TO RIDE FAVORITE RULE.  ALAN GARCIA ON SHOULD BENEFIT LENTENOR.

17 Mar 2010 6:25 PM
lobieb

Fingers and toes will be crossed for our boy's run but regardless of the outcome win or lose he will still be #1 in my book.  Tis terrible to have 2 #1's but Nicky has my heart also and will wait for word of his first race back with the wish that all I want is for them to race safely regardless of any outcomes.

17 Mar 2010 6:26 PM
brettzky99

Looks like a marginal field with Rule as only real proven class.  Radiohead won at a mile or less over a sputtering overrated Homeboykris.  Other allowance winners were at a mile or less, never very indicative of a 9f route.  Most others were place, show allowance route horses, like Lentenor. The FOY horses are less intriguing since the highest finsher, Pleasant Prince, was 12 lenghts off the winner. A second seems reasonable here, and a much, much easier spot than the Wood is going to be. This could be the easiest 150k avaialble in all the derby preps.

17 Mar 2010 6:33 PM
MJ

I agree with wanting this to be a positive experience where he can show his talent.

17 Mar 2010 6:38 PM
anniedixie65

Luck number 2 for Lentenor! That happens to be the number he broke his maiden under! Sounds like everything is setting up right, good weather, post, and coming off a great work!

Watch out Rule Lentenor will be ready to pounce and he will pass you and NEVER look back!

17 Mar 2010 6:38 PM
Stephanie

I am shocked that MM is running L in the Fl Derby. I know he knows the horse and that he does know best but I didn't think think of MM as a trainer that would throw a horse to the wolves just to get to the derby. I wish L good luck though-has a broodmare produced 2 Fl derby winners before??

17 Mar 2010 6:49 PM
Ragsy

Brielle there will never be another Barbaro.

Lentenor, you go,guy..hope for a win, but whatever goes we go too....Have a safe run, have fun,  win,and come home safe... if by some chance you dont win, we will love yaa...always......

17 Mar 2010 7:04 PM
Tracy

6-1 odds for Lentenor,#6 for Barbaros wins and #1 where he will finish.Love it!!!

17 Mar 2010 7:08 PM
jim

I haven't kept track that much track of the 3 year olds this year except for the top ones, but. am i the only one who thinks this Florida Derby field is a bit weak?

17 Mar 2010 7:32 PM
Kathy

I'm no expert, but I don't believe Lentenor's connection's are free spirits where anything goes. I think all involved are a tad conservative. Putting Lentenor in a Grade I stakes race totally amazes me and I applaud Lentenor's connection's strength and resolve.

If Lentenor comes in last and has to drop down to a grade III stakes race to win, there are people who will say, I told you so, he isn't as good as you thought he was; nevermind that he is better than 99 percent give or take of the thoroughbred horses out there.

I would say that Lentenor does extremely well, enjoys his job and no one out there really knows just how good he is.

Good luck Lentenor on Saturday; I will be watching you win.

I wish your connections released more photos of you and your siblings, but dag nab it, they don't and I will just have to deal with my disappointment. Loved you photo on ABR this morning. You've grown.

17 Mar 2010 7:57 PM
bill

WOW!!!, im pumped up for this.  lentenor can definitely win this. stranger things have happened, aka giacomo and mine that bird might ring a bell with their stunning derby wins.  he needs the earnings in this prelude to the big dance in order to reach the big dance.  i for one think that he can win.

17 Mar 2010 8:57 PM
Penny in TX

God speed Lentenor,  This is so exciting.  Now what about Nicanor?

17 Mar 2010 8:58 PM
Robin from Maaryland

Wow, wonderful news!!!  Iknow that big brother will be watching.  Have wings on your feet and come home safe.

17 Mar 2010 9:23 PM
Fire Slam

Hate the one spot for Soaring Empire. Love the 20-1 odds though!! Hope he stays at that or even higher. Will double up on him. Let it ride.

Knew we would draw the one post. Was hoping he broke from the far outside, so he could sit back, and follow the speed.

If folks on here cant see what the hype is all about, for Looking at Lucky and Odysseus, then they must not have seen their last races, and probably wouldn't know a race horse if it took them for a ride.

Odysseus was beat!!! He fought back, and put his nose down on the wire. He refused to lose. Looking at Lucky refuses to lose, and comes running no matter what.

Lets go Soaring Empire!!!

17 Mar 2010 9:29 PM
jclson

Wow,  I don't know what to say.  Part of me is so happy but the other part i am so nervouse I don't know if I can watch it.  I want this so bad for Lentenor what a gift it would be to of us fob.  I know I have to keep thinking Lentenor is not Barbaro.  but if a little bit of Barbaro is there it just hasn't come out yet.   I will be praying.

17 Mar 2010 9:44 PM
Liv

Good luck Lentenor! Have a safe trip bud!

17 Mar 2010 10:10 PM
MJ

Jim,

Yes, it is weaker.  Which is why Lentenor has a shot

17 Mar 2010 10:23 PM
GreyK

Wow, a bold choice and maybe not as tough as the Wood this year.  Watch out for Radiohead, Lenny, and run safe and strong.

17 Mar 2010 10:30 PM
horsenut23

jon,

I like the way you think!!

Go Lentenor!

17 Mar 2010 10:33 PM
ctgreyhound

A GIANT step up for Lentenor but who knows. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  He's got moxie & everyone's best wishes.  Go get 'em!

17 Mar 2010 11:24 PM
Marigold

Yes, WHERE is Nicky and how big is he?? and "When will I see you again?"

18 Mar 2010 12:00 AM
Linda/Maryland

Wonderful, start for Lentenor. MM thinks he is up to it, he is!

Lentenor's biggest problem so far has been his inexperience. I think he gained experience from each race and is up to the Florida Derby. He will be beautiful in the winners circle~!!!

18 Mar 2010 12:23 AM
gammyp6

There will be a record crowd at the Derby if Lentenor races!   This is so very exciting. Good Luck baby bro'. We are all praying for a safe trip.

18 Mar 2010 12:26 AM
Zia

Your destiny awaits you Lentenor,grab it and run like the wind!! Be safe,safe!

I sure hope Mr.Matz told Alan

not to let him hang so long before sending him!

18 Mar 2010 3:27 AM
dj jedinite

lentenor is going to demolish this field, just liike quality road did last year! lentenor for the triple crown baby!

18 Mar 2010 6:55 AM
guninpocket

The closest he'll get to the winners circle is when they past it coming down the stretch. He'll be bringing up the rear so he should get a pretty good look at it. The next coming of Barbaro he is not, I can see him finishing last.

18 Mar 2010 7:25 AM
Lisa S

Go Lentenor! Good Luck and be safe! Does anyone know if a major TV network will pick up this race? Maybe NBC or ESPN? I don't have access to HRTV and I really am hoping to be able to see the race live.

18 Mar 2010 7:53 AM
txbarbfan

Thanks for letting us know Lentenor is going in FL Derby!  That is such exciting news, but gives me goosebumps and all that as it's such a big step-up.  Of course, I do think he has the potential to do it, but I'm going to be on pins and needles til he gets his head in front at the wire.  Awesome!

18 Mar 2010 8:33 AM
Fran Loszynski

Fans of Barbaro would love to see Lentenor win-God Bless all of "you" for loving Barbaro so much, you helped to make horseracing heartfelt. I would have loved to see Barbaro and Afleet Alex race against one another what a race that would have been!

Radiohead, Lentenor, Rule- but I'm secretly hoping Right On Dude with Jeremy Rose. Jeremy's having a great year and hope it only gets better around Preakness time!  Hmmmm.

18 Mar 2010 8:51 AM
horsefan4life

yeah!!! Go Lentenor!

18 Mar 2010 9:45 AM
horsefan4life

good luck,Lentenor!

18 Mar 2010 9:48 AM
horseluvr4life

stay safe and sound,Lenny!

18 Mar 2010 9:49 AM
Deby

Go Lentenor!!!  We will all be rooting for you!!

18 Mar 2010 10:25 AM
FRED IN MTKA.

If Lennie is 90% of his big brother this should be a lock. I may not bet the house, but the golf clubs and dogs are enough.

18 Mar 2010 10:43 AM
Angela

jon-  To say that Lookin At Lucky "barely made it home" is laughable.  Did you watch the Rebel?  He had a horrible trip and still made it under the wire first.  He showed exactly what you want to see in a Derby contender.

18 Mar 2010 10:51 AM
Ragsy

Lentenor's race Saturday is one very tough,tough challange..we will see what he is made of this day.

I dont understand horseracing but am learning.

safety,health,enjoyment to Lent..

may he soar like the eagles and run like the wind .. I think he will need that to win or place..What an outstanding colt he is....

This race might be one to bet on...

18 Mar 2010 11:34 AM
Windy City

Good Luck Lenny, I have a faith in you. You are very talented, but also very green. In all of his races he never run out of fuel. Just focus big Boy, the name of the game is who comes first! Go get them!

18 Mar 2010 11:38 AM
Cal gal

Guninpocket  (your screen name tells us all we need to know, by the way).  WHY did you come here?  WHY did you post what you did?  What is the purpose of your words???

18 Mar 2010 12:04 PM
jon

Odyssesus was tiring...and if one adds distance as the Derby would, he won't make it to the winner's circle. I still think Lookin' at Lucky will struggle the same way Curlin did against Rags to Riches in the 2007 Belmont. Amazes me that people overlook the fact that this champion was beaten by a filly. I see hype in the 3 year old division this year.

Pletcher pulled Eskendereya from The Florida Derby because he knows he can't beat Lentenor. Trainers obviously know Lentenor has some quality or that wouldn't have occurred. We heard the lame excuse about time between the Derby and The Wood, but the fact is Pletcher is nothing more than a training factory and rather than develop one special or a few special horses he takes the entire pie for himself. That's just ridiculous.

I would say The Florida Derby is weak, and I am hopeful that Lentenor can demolish it. In a way, he has by causing one top horse to leave the field. If Eskendereya can't beat him, who can? As for Odysseus, he's similar to Mr. Fantasy last year, and he fought back, but was tired at the distance.

By the way, I bet many of us have ridden thoroughbreds, and I started when I was 6, on retired thoroughbreds. Also, if anyone knows Mason Grasty of Fasig Tipton, he's a cousin of mine, and I was also friends with Snowden Carter of The Maryland Horse. He got me interested in both racing and breeding. So, yes, I've ridden them, but one could spend a lifetime learning the intricacies of the sport. No day is ever dull.

18 Mar 2010 12:11 PM
RhondaH

Whoohoo. So excited. I will be pleased if Lentenor finishes anywhere in the money. I will have

money on him to win. I am that confident.

I wish this was the year that I had plans to attend the Derby. How awesome would that have been.

18 Mar 2010 12:28 PM
The Rock

I'd be shocked if Lentenor finished better than 4th on saturday. Granted he's been working well, but this race wasn't his goal. it was more of a last second deal. And usually when trainers train a horse with no particular race in mind, it doesn't usually work out. He's caught a soft field for a G1, but others have shown a lot better form on dirt.

18 Mar 2010 12:30 PM
Irish

To Fran Loszynski, Jeremy Rose always has a great year.  IMO he's one of the most under-rated jockeys out there.   Last year he had a better win rate than 9 of the 10 top money-earning jockeys.  If he ran in races with bigger purses I think he'd be rated #1 or #2 in the country almost every year.

Anyway, good luck to Lentenor.  I've not really followed the careers of Barbaro's siblings, but it made me smile to see the headline that his brother is starting in the Florida Derby.

18 Mar 2010 1:08 PM
Val

I think Letenor must feel the love and adoration coming to him.  Babaro brought in so many people with true love and compassion for horses.  I think Letenor could take dead last and would be loved.  But imagine if he wins?  There is something in the air, we Americans need a hero right now. Who better than this horse? What a story if he proved to have that stamina and speed like Babaro.

18 Mar 2010 1:08 PM
BigMommaLuvsHorses

I just read the list of horses entered. I see Nick Zito is trying to pull a fast one. He has 2 horses that are both owned by the same owner. I remember last year when watching a race that reference was made to use one horse, send them out fast to tire the others and then have the horse they want to win come in and win. I also noticed the jockey change. Well, I still think our boy is going to surprise them and win. May luck be with you Lenny. Give them a run for the money and show them what you have. My bet's on you with Big Brother Barbaro looking down on you.

18 Mar 2010 1:36 PM
Lou in TX

Go have fun Lentenor but above all come home safe and heaalthy. Your big bro will guide thru this since he knows how to win there. Listen carefully and do as he says. All the FOB"s across the nation will be watching and cheering you on. We all love you big little bro.

Does anyone happen to know what time the Fla Derby is scheduled to start? Need to know Central Standard time. Thanks.

18 Mar 2010 1:47 PM
Zia

Ragsy,

Where did you read that LRV

has the X Chromosome? I'd like to read about that.

And Congratulations on Rags To Riches new baby! Born in Ireland on St. Pat's Day no less. May he have the "Luck of the Irish"!!

18 Mar 2010 2:31 PM
jim

Guninpocket you are wrong you forgot the horses coming back to unsaddle.

i dont see anything wrong with fans of Lentenor, as fans will be fans.

i think with this weak field(barring any one drastically improving as 3 years do) that Lentenor has a good shot at finishing in the money, but, win I DONT THINK SO.

18 Mar 2010 3:05 PM
Zia

Steve Haskin has a very good

article about the Florida Derby Greenhorns! It's a well thought piece concerning the non-stakes placed entries. I liked his bit that "if Lentenor wins it will be standing room only on his bandwagon"

18 Mar 2010 3:13 PM
Roxy

I can't wait until Saturday!  It will be a big step up for Lenny, but I think he has as good a shot as any to beat Rule and Lenny has the spirit to win.  Watching the replay of his last race, I think he would have beaten Doubles Partner if JRV had seen him coming up the rail.  Of course JRV is going to ride the Pletcher horse so the jockey change does not mean anything.

www.nicoma.com/.../BH-Jaksons.pdf

I posted the article about the Jackson's from the April 2006 Blood Horse before Barbaro won the KY derby.  It's a great read for all us fans.  And it should shut up the people who want to see La Ville Rouge bred to another stud.  Go Lenny!!!

18 Mar 2010 3:31 PM
Dona

Nicanor worked 1.43:60 breezing 1 mile today! I knew something was up because of his last work time and distance. He's coming back soon and it's gonna be big! Can't wait to see the big guy.

Lentenor is as fast if not faster than this bunch he's going against. I have great confidence in him and his connections and applaud them for giving him this chance. Do your best Lentenor, you are the best!

Sorry people, I for one am a little uneasy talking about Jeremy Rose on this site. I think a jockey that would hit a horse out of frustration doesn't belong where we discuss Barbaro and his brothers. That's my lifelong love of horses opinion!

18 Mar 2010 3:45 PM
Marigold

Roxy, I found that article myself online the other day and printed it out to read.

Everyone should read it...

18 Mar 2010 3:46 PM
Marigold

Jon, have been wondering what your background was -- good to hear your opinion about Lentenor.

I always look for your posts, Brettzky 99's, also.  Did you see the 1 mile work of Nicanor's today?  I don't remember the last time I saw a 1 mile work.  He did it in 1.43. and change.

18 Mar 2010 3:50 PM
BriGuy

Lou,

Race 11 - 6:20 PM     Exacta / Trifecta / Superfecta / 10 Cent Superfecta Daily Double (Races 11&12) / Leg "E" Magna 5

STAKES Florida Derby (Grade I)

That's eastern time

18 Mar 2010 3:53 PM

Zia

darn it, JAJ, told me that people in racing do not follow X factor at all...It was at a pedigree site that I was messing around with...but it did give that to La Ville Rouge and ancestors..

JON, good for you! your life really sounds marvelous...lucky you...

speaking of Lucky, Looking At Lucky's last win was stunning....

18 Mar 2010 4:44 PM
JAJ

Zia,

As I said to Ragsy in the other Brother's Blog, the X-factor is pure speculation and no one in the industry pays any attention to it.

18 Mar 2010 4:46 PM

Zia

I just love Rags To Riches, she is super...Her Giant Causway yearling name is "Riches Causway"!!!

I put her in pedigree search and her foal picture came up...

Blow-em out Lentenor!!!

18 Mar 2010 4:51 PM
Arem

Run well for us, Lentenor!

18 Mar 2010 5:07 PM
Karen in Texas

Lou in TX---The Florida Derby is scheduled to be starting at 5:00 P.M. EST, which would be 4:00 P.M. here in Texas. It should be shown on HRTV.

18 Mar 2010 6:26 PM
Lou in TX

BriGuy..thanks for the info. I was thinking the race was on the 27th instead of the 20th. Probably why I couldn't find out anything.

Best of luck to Lentenor!!! Hopefully TVG will carry this race live. What they did with RA and Zenyatta's races was horrible. I see HRTV is going to be onsite for those of you have Dish Network.

18 Mar 2010 6:40 PM
Marigold

What is the"X Factor"?

18 Mar 2010 6:50 PM
Sandy

GOOD LUCK LENTENOR!!!!

LOVE YOU ALWAYS WIN OR NOT JUST BE SAFE THAT IS ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS!!!

18 Mar 2010 7:33 PM
rams2050

Anyone who has been following Lentenor's works wouldn't have been surprised by Mr. Matz's decision to enter his colt in the Florida Derby.

Last time out Lentenor was fastest of 36 at the distance, which I forget exactly what it was but was over a mile.  Alan Garcia was up and Lentenor was running behind 3 of his stablemates when Garcia, who'd been instructed to do so, pulled Lentenor wide and made the colt pass the group on the right.

Lentenor, who was training on the dirt, whizzed right past his stablemates and got the 'fastest work of the day at the distance' in the process.

He's ready, and Mr. Matz knows he's ready.

Run like the wind, Lentenor!  And come home safely.

18 Mar 2010 7:39 PM
Karen in Texas

Lou in TX---The time I gave you came from ESPN's calendar. BriGuy's time is probably correct. I think 5:00 P.M. is the time the HRTV segment starts. Sorry!

18 Mar 2010 7:49 PM
rams2050

Here are some of Michael Matz's comments from another site:

“His last race, I was disappointed he lost, but on the other hand when I looked at the fractions and what they ran the last three eighths of a mile, they ran quite fast the last three eighths,” Matz said.

“I was pretty pleased with the race. He’s come out of each race better than he went in, so it’s just a matter of experience. With the Gulfstream Florida Derby six weeks out, it’s a little bit further than I’d like, but on the other hand it gives him some time to mature.

“The biggest part is that the horse hasn’t matured to his full potential yet, so he needs some more time but we’re going to give him one shot and see what happens.”

Matz said Lentenor has progressed nicely in recent weeks and he was especially happy with a bullet five-furlong breeze in 1:00 at Palm Meadows Training Center on Monday under Alan Garcia, who will be aboard in the Florida Derby after Velazquez rode him in his two most recent races.

“Alan Garcia came up and worked him on Monday and he worked very well. Sometimes I think it’s a different ballgame when they go a mile and an eighth and a mile and a quarter, and we certainly know through the breeding of this family that the distance is not a problem. We felt like we’d to give him one shot here and if he isn’t first or second then we make another plan to go where we want to.

“I see him every day and my assistant, Peter [Brette], had to go back to England for ten days because his father died, and when he came back he said he thought the horse had filled out quite a bit even in the ten days that he hadn’t seen him.”

18 Mar 2010 7:53 PM
Horsefirst

It it's OK to post this link here, Michael Matz in his jumping days:

www.youtube.com/watch

Might give some diversion until Lentenor's race.  Do watch the whole clip, he rides twice.  I think it was the Olympics in Spain where I saw him lose a stirrup on a round and you'd never know it.  Got it back a couple jumps later.

18 Mar 2010 8:08 PM
jon

I am amazed when people write that Lentenor won't finish in the money, run on the dirt well, or that this race wasn't the goal.

I wonder what news media Rock has read. Matz has repeatedly said that Lentenor was good enough for The Derby, and worried about his experience-not talent. Also, Lentenor finished 1/36 in company in his last workout-on dirt.

Also, Pletcher pulled his best colt from the race because of Lentenor, or to give him a chance. I haven't quite decided that yet. Lentenor is on the turf what Nicanor was on the dirt, good, but not great. I think Matz is signalling that he believes Lentenor's better surface is dirt with the entry in the Florida Derby. He never entered him on the turf in a stakes race. Lentenor more or less spun his wheels on the turf, unliked Nicanor, who won by 15...

Matz has confidence, and honestly, I have never seen such a jump in class, so whatever Lentenor has shown, Matz isn't sharing. As for Zito and Pletcher, both like to saturate races and the tactic to use a rabbit is a stupid one because I think Lentenor's jockey will keep this horse in the game. Interesting that only Rule is stakes placed, so maybe the jump in class is in name only, since these colts are not stakes placed. Thus, the field is level.

Interesting that a week ago, Matz spoke about the Blue Grass and The Belmont, so the sudden change to The Florida Derby and Derby fascinates me. One could assume he's lost his marbles, or...he knows that Lentenor is great on dirt. I prefer the latter. Imagine if he wins? Then the fun starts.

18 Mar 2010 8:40 PM
Greg J.

Hello all,

This race is between Rule and Nicanor, Hands down! With Eskendereya going to the Wood, Lentenor gets his chance, So, Thank You Mr. Zayat, Is a sale in the works for Eskendereya?  Anyways, Love the two spot for Lentenor.  I am still looking at this wide open field and on the fence a little about Alan Garcia, But he is having a decent meet at Gulfstream, Not alot of mounts, But, He is second in the money at 47%.  I trust Mr. Matz with his choice...

Also, HRTV will have the race live, With TVG showing a replay shortly after, Then the video will be here and Youtube within minutes...

If you go to NTRA.COM, They plan to show the race LIVE starting at 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time, The race goes off at 6:20 p.m. Eastern Time.

Here is the link to the story about NTRA.COM showing the race live on Bloodhorse:

cs.bloodhorse.com/.../take-two.aspx

Here is the link to watch the race live on Saturday at 6:00:

Godspeed Lentenor...

18 Mar 2010 8:42 PM
Zia

Marigold,

The X Factor or chromosome has to do with an extra large heart like Secretariat had. It pumped a greater volume of blood thus greater blood oxygenation to his muscles. The great engine of any race

horse.

I read something in True Nicks here in Bloodhorse about the X chromosome.

When Secretariat died they

said it was his large heart

that caused his death.

18 Mar 2010 9:38 PM
JCLSON

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY EDGAR PRADO IS NOT RIDING LENTENOR??? YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULD.  HE ISIN THE RACE THAT LENTENOR IS IN.  JUST CURIOUS TO WHY HE IS NOT.

18 Mar 2010 9:39 PM
Zia

Ragsy,

Just for your information I

checked the pedigrees for both La Ville Rouge and Secretariat since they must have at least one common bloodline. They have two. The "X Factor" came

through either Princequillo or Nearco.

18 Mar 2010 10:03 PM
Mark in MD

This is exciting! Alan Garcia is an excellent jockey and will give Lentenor his best shot.

18 Mar 2010 10:04 PM
Lise from Maine

Bonjour Lentenor,

I recently read on Bloodhorse.com that you have been entered into the Florida Derby of 2010.

I just knew you would get in, and I kept checking everyday on the internet to find out which horses were actually entered. I prayed everyday that you would be entered and you did it, Lentenor.

Hooray!

I know that you can win this race since you are a very talented horse, and you have in you to win this race so go get it, Lentenor.

I will be attending a mystery dinner theater on March 20th (leaving early before the race) so I won't get the results of the race until after the show but believe me, Lentenor, I will be thinking of you off and on all evening, and the topic of conversation with my friends will be about you.

I will check out Bloodhorse.com later that evening to see the results and watch the video.

Furthermore, March 20th happens to be my birthday and what a wonderful birthday gift if you win the Florida Derby, Lentenor. I am so eager to receive that gift.

Go get that race, Lentenor, and make your team happy, your fans, and your big brother, Barbaro.

Good luck!

Lots of love to you, Nicanor, baby Margeno, Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, and Mr. Matz.

19 Mar 2010 8:06 AM
Greg J.

Jon,

First off, Love your passion for Lentenor!  With that being said, Honestly, We all need to keep this real.  Eskendereya was moved to the Wood, Not because they are afraid of Lentenor, They don't like the six weeks from the Derby and they want to see how Eskendereya performs in a more diffucult race and different track.  He already has enough graded earning's, That isn't the question, They like the four weeks out and they really had nothing to gain in running in the Florida Derby.  If Mr. Pletcher had kept Rule and Eskendereya in the Florida Derby, Well, Lentenor would not be going in the Florida Derby.  Mr. Matz knows Lentenor now has a great chance to finish first or second with the defection of Eskendereya, That is why Lentenor is getting a shot at qualifying for the Kentucky Derby, Nothing more or less, Quite simple. Also, It is still a huge wildcard on how Lentenor will before on the dirt for the first time in Stakes company, Training well on dirt is quite different then running a race on dirt, It is still a unknown.  With all that said, I think Lentenor will win, or finish second, While it is a wide open field, This is Lentenor's one shot at the Derby, And, I believe he has matured from race to race and this is his time to shine. Remember Jon, This is such a un-predictable sport, Anything and Everything can happen, Passion is one thing, But, First, Let's hope it is a safe race for all, Then let's hope Lentenor runs his best race to date and follows in his Big Brother's hoofsteps and emerges Victorious...

19 Mar 2010 8:20 AM
DavidA

Come on Big Boy....let's see who's the boss....

19 Mar 2010 8:56 AM
Mary

JAJ, you must be kidding.  Are you saying no one in the industry pays attention to pedigree?  The X-factor is part of the pedigree.  Any horseman that has no basic knowledge of it is just living in the dark ages.

Zia, if you want to read about the X-factor and Barbaro, just google "Barbaro bloodlines X-factor.  Then click on Barbaro Wingspan Expressions".  The X-factor is real.

19 Mar 2010 9:44 AM
Colmel

Zia -

No, Secretariat's "large heart" was NOT what caused his death. He had extremely serious laminitis and was put down due to extreme pain. You may not have been alive in 1989. I had just seen him in May. (I went to see him at Claiborne every year I went to the Derby and any time I was at Claiborne for any reason.)

19 Mar 2010 10:28 AM
Marilyn

I remember Peter Britt's comment about Barbaro after the Florida Derby.  He said "Barbaro went into that race a boy and came out a man".  I think that Lenny is following in Barbaro's hoof prints in more ways than one.  He will win on Saturday.

19 Mar 2010 10:30 AM
jon

Greg-Thanks for your comments. I mentioned Eskendereya because Matz did say he would evaluate the race to see who was running. Coincidentally, Pletcher pulled Eskendereya. We all know side deals are cut in races all the time, and maybe Pletcher did this as a favor for Matz. Either way, one has to wonder.

By the way. The Florida Derby is grade 1, but Rule is the only colt who has won a stakes, and those were grade 3's. Thus, Lentenor might as well be in a higher level allowance race since these colts haven't faced stakes company.

Also, why did Matz opt for a stakes race on dirt rather than play it safe and test him in a race that doesn't matter? He did that approach on the turf. I think the trainer senses that Lentenor has a great chance to win, and is talented enough to run at first asking on the dirt.

We have to consider the pressure, though, if Lentenor wins. Suddenly, he will be a Derby favorite, and Matz will have to decide whether he really wants to face the grade one multiple winners in The Derby. However, he chose the Derby-Derby path because he has faith in his horse, and liked his recent workout.

I agree that Lentenor will do well, and anyone who doubts that can look at Sir Barton, Seabiscuit, and others who won against all odds. I wouldn't worry about Rule tomorrow.

19 Mar 2010 10:42 AM

Zia-Mary

I reviewed that site on the Factor X and its really interesting, also they talk about Secretariat and mention that during autopsy his heart was weighed and it was 22 pounds but it did not cause his death, the heart was normal..how interesting.............

Zia does this mean that La Ville Rouge carries and pass'es on a large heart??

Zenyatta was mentioned as a Blue blood with the greatest of greatest in her pedigree, no wonder she's the Queen Of Racing!!

Blow-em out LENTENOR!!!!

19 Mar 2010 11:14 AM
Deby

Zia:

Secretariat was put down because of laminitus.  Not because he had an enlarged heart.

Go Lentenor.  It's gonna be super Saturday if he wins!!

19 Mar 2010 11:15 AM
Marigold

Zia, I know that Secretariat had a large heart. But I believe his death (by euthanasia) was due to the dreaded laminitis that he had somehow contracted.

19 Mar 2010 11:31 AM
Karen in Texas

I don't want to start a big harangue with anyone on the blog, but the existence of the X factor makes sense if one understands the difference between mitochondrial DNA and nuclear DNA. Whether the racing industry chooses to further the research into heart size and the X factor and how that may be applied to breeding practices is up to the individuals involved. This link explains the two types of DNA.

forensicscience.suite101.com/.../what_is_mitochondrial_dna

19 Mar 2010 11:56 AM
bgky

Mary, that was a great resource for explaining the importance of the x-factor in the pedigree.  I'm sure many will consider it merely wishful thinking.  I believe this would help explain, and make others understand, why the Jacksons are so eager for a filly.  You would definitely want to pass on these genes.  It also sheds light on the LVR/Dynaformer breeding combo. That author was certainly keen on Barbaro's credentials. It makes me sad as well that Barbaro was never able to pass those genes to his possible daughters.  Conversly, here is Nicanor Lentenor, "babynor" and foal in waiting, whatever it may be, who still have the chance.  I thought it was a very interesting read! It was obviously well researched.

I'm eagerly anticipating the Florida Derby and glad we will finally get to see how Lentenor races on dirt. I rarely like  favorites in the Derby. But...I would love a sentimental favorite. I will keep my opinions to myself about his last race, except to say, I think he should have/could have won. Only time will tell his true potential.

I really wish Lentenor had a consistant jockey. I think horses  need routine, a good bond and trust matters a lot with them. I'm sure the pressure of riding horses with this kind of popularity could be intimidating. We should also keep in mind this is a business and jockies have commitments to other owners/trainers. I would just hate to think there is a conflict of interest strategy on top of all the other strategy happening on the track.  Maybe I am just being overly cynical.

19 Mar 2010 1:02 PM
Colmel

Zia,

Secretariat's unusually large heart had nothing to do with his death. Laminitis - the same painful killer that took our precious Barbaro from us - was the cause. No matter how large the heart, how courageous, laminitis is a painful killer that has taken the best from us.

19 Mar 2010 2:26 PM
Glassoniongirl

If he wins this he`ll be in the Derby for sure! Go Lentenor!

The only thing I`d be concerned about is Kent Desormeaux. He has a way of making horses win.

19 Mar 2010 3:41 PM
Zia

When Secretariat died I was in the hospital and it was quite a while before I knew he'd died. Maybe it was the part about the size of his heart,but I read something that made me think that he had a heart attack. Sorry,I never heard different.

19 Mar 2010 4:06 PM
Fire Slam

Other then Barbaro, what has Matz really done???

Honestly. What other big races has he trained a horse to win???

Im really asking this in a polite way.

The best bred horse in the race is Soaring Empire. Dams family is loaded with stake winners. Plus, you get Weekend Surprise on the bottom.---Im thinking X-Factor on this horse.

Only thing that will hurt him is breaking from the one post.

Kent DSX rides when he wants to. If you use him, you always have the feeling he is not going to put his best effort on the track.

If he beats me, he beats me. I wont use him.

19 Mar 2010 4:20 PM
Fire Slam

Soaring Empire has the best chance to have the x-factor. Look at his Dam. AP Indy on the bottom half.

19 Mar 2010 4:21 PM
JAJ

Gosh, Mary, I must be living in the dark ages.  So must all the big breeders since none of them make ANY reference to the supposed "x-factor" in any of their ads nor is it listed on pedigrees.

If you don't believe me, go to the Blood-Horse's Stallion Register (on line) and pick any of the big stallions.

Try A P Indy.  Do you see any reference to x-factor.

Now look at Monarchos, who DID have a large heart based on an ultrasound done when he went through the sales.  No mention of x-factor?

Gosh, it seems that every single stallion owner who advertises in the Blood-Horse is living in the dark ages.

19 Mar 2010 4:55 PM
Mary

bgky, remember Barbaro ran the last 1/4 mile in the Kentucky Derby as fast as Secretariat.  (Barbaro X-factor, large heart) I have been reading about the x-factor and looking at the pedigrees of some great horses for some time now, very intriguing.

The large heart gene is passed on from sire to daughter, but the sire cannot pass it on to his son.  The mother can pass it on to either her son or daughter.

That's why the Jackson's want a filly.

19 Mar 2010 4:57 PM
JAJ

One other thing, Mary, in all my conversations with blood stock experts regarding breeding my mare, not one has so much as breathed a word about the supposed "x-factor."

That includes the top man at Adena Springs and the farm manager at the farm I board my mare at.  My farm manager, an equine vet, is the stallion manager for 12 stallions of which 6 were in the top 10 stallions in Canada and 3 held the top three positions.

You don't suggest they are still in the dark ages, too.

19 Mar 2010 5:15 PM
Zia

Mary,

That is fascinating,I had no

idea that the X-Factor had been traced in so many horses!

I'll need to follow this up.

Speaking of that dread disease

has anyone heard any more in

regards to Kip Deville?

19 Mar 2010 6:05 PM
Barbarian

So, the day is almost here and we shall see what Lentenor can do.  I, too, wish he could have a regular jockey.  They've played musical saddles on him from the beginning and that HAS to affect the horse and not in a positive way.  But he seems to be a highly resilient colt, so, if he does well tomorrow, they'll all come clamoring to ride him and perhaps we can get one who will stay with him once and for all. For his sake.

19 Mar 2010 6:47 PM
MJ

Fire Salm,

Michael trained Round Pound when she won the Breeders Cup.  He also had Princess Haya who was the 2009 Texas horse of the year

19 Mar 2010 6:53 PM
Mary

Ragsy, could be that La Ville Rouge carries the x-factor gene through the Princequillo line.  It is thought that Princequillo carried the largest heart gene, followed in order by War Admiral, Northern Dancer, and Blue Larkspur

Like I said earlier, Barbaro ran the last quarter mile in the Kentucky Derby as fast as Secretariat.

Also Dynaformer plays a big part in this formula.  The match works.  Secretariat and Lassie Dear, who was also the carrier of the large heart gene produced Weekend Surprise, dam of AP Indy.

19 Mar 2010 7:46 PM
Colhomewife

Good Luck tomorrow Lentenor! Im praying for a safe trip.

19 Mar 2010 7:48 PM
Ragsy

Zia, I am sorry if my inquiring into the X factor caused any unecessary stress..sorry I brought up the question....Root,Rootfor Lenty, Root, Root for Lenty, guess, he will come on home as a winner....

no matter what we will love him!!!

BLOW-EM OUT LENTENOR!!!!

19 Mar 2010 8:00 PM
Criminal Type

I believe Lentenor is capable of competing with the other horse's in the Florida derby, I am a little worried about Rule. All I ask is Alan give him a good ride and bring him back safe. Good Luck to the horse and his connections tomorrow.

Fire Slam, I believe Mr Matz has won with a little horse named Visionaire also..Doe's a race at Saratoga called the Kings Bishop ring any bells, what about the Gotham? He also has Princess Haya in his barn.

Mr Matz has been around horses all his life and is a world class rider with olympic capabilities. His horses always look spectacular when they step foot on the track. He is also a wonderful, caring human being and humanitarian. He selflessly went into a burning airplane and pulled children to safety. To disparage him is not polite, no matter what you call it.

Ragsy, Congrats on the new Henrythenavigator colt, I love that they are sending her to Galileo. I can't wait to see her babies start to race...Riches Causeway huh?  I wonder if Coolmore will send Rags to a different one of their stallions each year. Take a look at their stallion roster, it's pretty impressive. I would like to see her back in the state's though.

19 Mar 2010 9:02 PM
Marigold

Does anyone know how Secretariat developed Laminitis?

19 Mar 2010 9:36 PM
Horsefirst

As you already now know, Secretariat died from laminitis.  Upon autopsy it was found he had a huge heart.  Someone did a little pedigree researching and came up with the X Factor. However, there is no known test for determining genetically if the horse carries the X Factor, that I know of.

Problem is, lots of good horses have probably not had the "X Factor."

And JAJ or Colmel can correct me on this, but I think I've read that often large hearts are not always up to par with a normal heart.  Something is weak in them.  Not so for Secretariat, though.

So, though you might ultrasound a horse to try to determine heart size, would you turn one down with a stellar pedigree who did not have a large heart?  Would you buy instead the horse from a long line of non-winners because it did have a large heart?

A large heart does not make a winner.  A $5,000 claimer can have a large heart.

A lot of other things have to come together and then perhaps, perhaps, the large heart is the icing on the cake.  But with out the cake, the icing is irrelevant.

There is a lot of guesswork involved in trying to say so and so horse carries the X Factor.  If a sire inherited it from his dam, then he will always pass it on to his daughters.  If a dam carries two copies, she will always pass it on.  But if the dam only has one copy, the odds are 50-50 for her passing it on.  It is speculated that that is why Secretariat got such spectacular broodmare daughters but not a son to carry on the line. (Although the son's dam certainly could have)  Then again, I'm one that thinks it takes a little more line breeding than Secretariat had to get a good sire son, more so than an X factor involvement.  I think the same issue happened with Man O' War. (Another fantastic broodmare sire) He needed to be crossed with mares with more line breeding and more than once to insure some success for a stallion son.  The one who carried on was War Relic, with a Rock Sand and Fairy Gold duplication on both sides of his pedigree.

I think lightening strikes relatively infrequently.  You might as well ask why the two, most probable, greatest race horses of all time were chestnuts.  About as relevant.

19 Mar 2010 10:02 PM
Zia

Ragsy,no stress,no problem.

Irregardless of opinions,I do

know for a fact that many of the buyers at the sales get

X-rays of the hearts. So some

are still searching for another Secretariat.

19 Mar 2010 11:07 PM
Mary

Horsefirst, you are so right.  Look at the Secretariat/Lassie Dear combination.  I do know that the making of a great horse is much more than being the carrier of a large heart, but it sure does help.  A PROFOUNDLY sensitive trainer and a bit of good luck plays a part.

Listen, I've read about this extensively, so I hope that all of you will do the same.

In my opinion, the La Ville Rouge/Dynaformer combination is working.

FIRE SLAM, Soaring Empire does have a great pedigree.  Takes more than that, though.

JAJ, dark ages, no doubt.  Any good horseman would know something about this.

19 Mar 2010 11:43 PM
Mary

By the way, Penny Chenery, the owner of Secretariat, talked about his large heart, and how he inherited it from his dam, Somethingroyal, a Princequillo mare.  So there has been talk about the x-factor for over 25 years.

It is thought by some that La Ville Rouge carries the gene.

If Lentenor does not win tomorrow, I will be surprised. I don't know when it happened, but on this day, they know the horse.

20 Mar 2010 12:14 AM
Zenyatta Fan

Don't worry Lentenor will do great.He has every right to be in the race and I know he will be ready. He can beat any horse if he puts his mind to it. We all have faith in him and we will be praying for an impressive win. We all know he is ready. Go Lentenor!!!!!!!!!

20 Mar 2010 12:31 AM
Zenyatta Fan

Here I got some wisdom for Lentenor fans. May you fly high like an eagle, run like the wind and never look back. For we see your inner flame when you run. You have god watching over you. Keeping you safe. Never give up and never look back. We stand by your side and will always. Your brother was the one to open our eyes like we were new borns and when he died you carry the burden but we are there to make it lighter for you. We are your fans and the people who love you. We stand tall and proud. When you run we run and when you win we win. You win knowing that somebody in heaven is watching you. Never look back. Show us your inner flame and be proud and stand tall and have that beautiful inner falme shine brightly. Lentenor we stand at your side and we make your burden lighter for you.  Barbaro is the one watching over you. Stand tall Lentenor and show you inner flame and never look back.

I hoped you enjoy cause when I read these comments this is what I see people who will always be there for Lentenor and will always support his burden and we always love him. When I watch Lentenor run I see his inner flame and I hope all of you guys too see the flame. If you don't see it watch him race tomorrow. Go Lentenor I will carry your burden like everyone else.

20 Mar 2010 12:50 AM
jon

Interesting that those discounting Lentenor's talent fail to see that his time at 1 and 1/16 was faster than Lookin' at Lucky's win at the same distance 1:41 vs 1:43. Yes, the times were at different tracks, but a time is a time.

I read that Zito might try to doubleteam the other horses while Rule may be in trouble. I think Matz is betting that Lentenor has enough raw talent to beat this group and is betting on a bounce from Rule, similar to Rachel's last week and Zenyatta in The Apple Blossom. If Lentenor is faster than Nicanor, and Lookin' at Lucky, then he can beat any colt in the 3 year old division. That's a fair statement.

My hope is that Todd Pletcher and Nick Zito's greed catches up with them tomorrow and Lentenor runs away with the race. I think that Pletcher can't possibly train champions effectively or efficiently if he tries to be an assembly line for talent. Nothing can replace patient training, and I have to wonder how beneficial he is if he has that many 3 year olds in training.

I hope some of us have flashbacks to Barbaro's win tomorrow and Lentenor swoops by the field...I suppose logic states that he's inexperienced, but so are all but Rule...

20 Mar 2010 12:59 AM
brettzky99

Umm Fireslam,

Matz trained Visionaire to King's Bishop in 2008, which is a Grade 1 and has an unbelievable past champions roster; he also picked up the Gotham that year.  From Barbaro until then his barn was only just over 40 horses (about 70-80 now). Not to mention he bagged a Breeder's Cup Distaff (now Ladies Classic) in 2006, and the Arlington Million in 2005.

I'll agree Soaring Empire is regally bred, but so are Game on Dude, Ice Box, and Lentenor (LVR prior to Lent-2 stakes winners in 3 starters, and actually the non-stakes wiinner was the ML favorite in a Gr 2 Virginia Derby, prior to scratch).  If he stays close to his ML odds, Soaring Empire is more than appealing though.

20 Mar 2010 1:08 AM
Lisa S

Greg J, Thanks so much for the TV information! You are such a wonderful source of knowledge and you always have such an upbeat outlook!

Also, does anyone know if there has been any studies on laminitis and heredity? My first horse was a grandson of Secratariat. He also passed from complications caused by laminitis. This was many many years ago and back then we really didn't know why he came down with the disease. As many of you know laminitis is a symptom to a greater problem and can be caused by so many different reasons. There is so much still to learn about the dreaded disease. I just wonder if a horse under the right circumstances can be predisposed to the illness by way of heredity. I have not heard why Secratariat contracted laminitis.

On a much happier note... May much luck and great success ride with you tomorrow dear Lentenor! Come home safely and may you make our hearts sing!

To everyone who enjoys following the brothers... Isn't this the best? Who could have dreamed that Lentenor and Nicanor would have such success and give us so much joy? What a blessing to be able to follow them and what fun we are having! However the race turns out we will continue to follow and enjoy the journey with all of the brothers!

20 Mar 2010 1:24 AM
jim

Jees....i haven't anything against Lentenor.....it appears like a military family sending their child to Afghanistan, Barbaro was good winning 2 good races, but, Lentenor not yet a NW1 allowance winner. These are the type of fans media drumm up on.

20 Mar 2010 1:57 AM
bgky

After reviewing Rule's Sam F. Davis win back to back with Lentenor's maiden victory at the same distance, Lentenor finished that race over 3 seconds faster than Rule and with faster overall fractions. Obviously different conditions can affect a race but I'm just pointing out potential. Most all the media is saying he's out of his league.  I don't think that's correct.  Just before his last race, he was high on the handicapper's list. Several things bothered me about that last race! But, I liked how Lentenor handled himself. He battled and beat the horse he thought he was racing. He showed great heart and determination.

I think Lentenor needs some good early fractions around .23 for the quarter and .46 for the half, unlike the snail's pace from his last race.  His fractions from the 3/4 to wire are great with his kick.  That said, I think if Rule is a front running target with Lentenor just off the lead, no further back than 3rd position and not boxed in on the rail, with his closing kick he has an excellent shot to win.  I think Gulfstream favors horses more forward placed on the track. Lentenor's style of racing should put him right where he needs to be.

I read somewhere Alan Garcia's comment that he knew Lentenor had a large following.  Hopefully he's looking forward to have the chance to bring home a highly publicized win.

20 Mar 2010 9:20 AM
BigMommaLuvsHorses

Marigold, I bought this book from Amazon 3 yrs ago and it talks all about Big Red and his laminitis.

Secretariat, Updated Edition (Hardcover)

Raymond G. Woolfe (Author)

20 Mar 2010 10:11 AM

bgky

I heard yesterday that Pulsion was the only closer on this field of horses, is that correct??

20 Mar 2010 10:16 AM

Zenyatta Fan

what you say is true, a family of horses that will be loved no matter what, well spoken!!

I have looked up every pedigree in this field of horses and everyone deserve to be running!!!Great group of horses!!!

20 Mar 2010 10:23 AM

ALL

when I reviewed the Xfactor online, they had Zenyatta's pedigree there and gosh, she has the most impressive one that I have seen..seems, she has Royality from the 1st to last horse in that pedigree, now I know why she is so awesome...

we are going to get possibly 1-4 feet of snow today..hope it passes us by...

Blow-em out Lentenor...

20 Mar 2010 10:36 AM
Kathy

Marigold,

There doesn't appeaar to be a lot of public information on why Secretariat contracted laminitis.

And now for opening up that big can of worms.

Speculation abounds.

1. Cushing Disease.

2. Kidney or liver problems.

3. Too much grain.

4. Insulin resistance.

And unless someone has the necropsy report and that report actually determined the cause of Secretariat's laminitis, it would be a probable cause as opposed to a definiive cause secenario.

I had no idea how many different ways a horse can contract laminitis until I looked this subject up, so color me more informed.

20 Mar 2010 10:36 AM
Horsefirst

Lisa S,

Laminitis is not inheritable that I know of, with the caveat that more research has to be done in that area for reasons I'll explain later.

But first, laminitis can affect a horse like Barbaro who had to put his weigtht on his other limbs too much and for too long.  As we all learned from his long battle, it wasn't the broken bones that led to his death, although ultimately, they set up the condition that caused the laminitis.

I have always wondered about Secretariat.  Thought then and still do that he was just too heavy, too big for his feet.  I don't know his shoe size but he was a beast of a horse and SPECUALTING, years of weight on those feet finally caught up to him. He is one horse I would have kept on a strict diet, although if he was the type, it might have been nearly impossible to keep weight off him.

That said, I often wonder if Secretiat was Insulin Resistant.  This is fairly new in the horse world and even to some vets.  I had a horse like this and you had to watch the weight and you had to keep the horse off certain feeds and starches and yes, even grass, especially at certain times of the year.  This horse developed it late in life but he was not a TB nor did was any of that blood close up in the pedigree.  I have not heard of TB's being the type to get IR but like I said, I'll always wonder about Secretariat.  Back then it wasn't known, not even in human medicine.  And in human medicine it's not something on doctor's radar, even today.  If you are IR, you make insulin but your body can't use it properly and the pancreas just tries to make more and more.  It is thought to be a precursor to diabetes.

However, Colmel and JAJ and other horsemen are welcome to chime in on this.  It just could have been mechanical in Secretariat's case, too much body and weight for too long on feet too small.

The genetic component I wonder about is that the Bold Ruler's were known (Caveat: as I've read) to tend to be arthritic and if that might be a factor too.  Then again, I don't find mention of Secretariat suffering from arthritis.

And now I've done it: introduced another topic.  IR is complicated and hard to understand.  I wouldn't worry about it in the general TB population except I wonder if we'll see it more at TB's get to look more like Quarter Horses.

Also keep in mind I'm just one person with one experience with it and the only reason I know about it was trying to figure out what was going on with a certain horse.  Read about it if interested but really, just enjoy the horses!

Go Lentenor!  I think you have a tough job today but maybe it is time to find out if targeting the Kentucky Derby is for you.  I would still wonder if he could make enough to get in if he only got second.  And even if he did, if Lentenor, with his inexperience and lack of maturity, belongs in a 20 horse herd of charging horses the first Saturday in May.  Maybe this will be his SAT's.

20 Mar 2010 10:42 AM

Criminal Type

Yeah, I have been looking at the stallions at Coolmore and yes, I would love to have Rags back in the States..hate her so far away...

wonder what the will name the new Henrythenavigator colt???

Betcha, they will breed her with each stallion since they seem to be doing that...Riches Navigator or Riches Henry, who knows!!

Good Luck Today Lentenor!!!

20 Mar 2010 10:55 AM
Irene

Lentenor...you have a gazillion hearts rooting for you...we believe in you!!! Run like the wind and come home safe and happy!

20 Mar 2010 11:55 AM
Linda/Maryland

Gregg J.

I thank you so much for the information on the live webcast of the race on NTRA. I have Sat. TV and it does not have HRTV. I am so thankful for the information.

BEST of everything dear Lentenor~

Go out there and show them your stuff.

20 Mar 2010 1:12 PM
jim

bgky

yes pulsion only closer

20 Mar 2010 1:56 PM
Barbarian

St. Eligius (remember him?) Just won a race at GSP with Alan Garcia (L's jockey later) aboard, making it Alan

Garcia's 1000 win!

All good portents for Lentenor.  Most of all, makes that last effort by Lentenor look better and better.

20 Mar 2010 2:14 PM
bgky

Ice Box and Pulsion both raced in the 2-20-10 Fountain of Youth.  Ice Box ended up 4th but pretty far back.  He did fire but it wasn't enough.  They were both placed well back in the pack. Not sure if that was the plan or just where they ended up.  That race had pretty good early fractions, not blazing but honest. Finish time not that great. AND, not nearly as fast as Lentenor's win. It is a  1 1/8 mile race and the time was close to 1:49. Eskenderya won by 8 lengths. The race was loaded up with possible Derby contenders.  It was at Gulfstream so those horses are familiar with the dirt track there.

If Ice Box and Pulsion put in the same race today, that far back at Gulfstream, I don't think they will do any better. I could be wrong.

20 Mar 2010 2:33 PM
bgky

FYI...I believe Alan Garcia has won the first 2 races today at Gulfstream.  Race 2 won on Saint Eligius who Lentenor battled for 2nd in his last race.  Looks like a fast track by the fractions.  Not big races but I like the fractions and Alan Garcia knowing how to get a win at Gulfstream.

20 Mar 2010 2:52 PM
Criminal Type

I dont know if this is an omen or not but Alan Garcia won the first two races on the card today so far and Leal's maiden Storm on the Moon won the third race at Gulfstream. He trains with Barcley Tagg. Keeping my fingers crossed for Lentenor.

Too bad I have to wait for the replay on TVG. I live beyond the boonies and have satelite internet. I dont think I can get live streaming to work for me.

20 Mar 2010 3:55 PM

HorseFirst

seems to me they would DNA test the horse Chromosomes and determine whether X Factor is present, after all its genetic. Surely, if they have id'ed the gene, they would have the necessary information. ..one would think!

Be it true or false....

Go Lentenor!!!

20 Mar 2010 3:59 PM
JAJ

I have no idea why Secretariat developed laminitis.   He was very over weight, which is a risk factor for laminitis.

Today is a big day for Lentenor.  He will likely never find another graded stakes race come up as light as this one has.  He has a pretty good shot to at least place.

20 Mar 2010 4:03 PM

Kathy

just a thought! If Laminitis cause is unknown, can we really name a cause in the case of Secretariat and all of the wonderful horses that have or had it??

20 Mar 2010 4:04 PM
Criminal Type

Ragsy, I dunno I think this colt needs a clever name. Something explorer or traveler maybe. Rags sure is getting grade A beaux. First, a wonder of the world (if its not it should be) then a navigator, now an astronomer, maybe Danehill Dancer or Street Cry next huh?

20 Mar 2010 4:06 PM
JIM

This is NOT one of the stronger Florida Derby fields ever assembled...

20 Mar 2010 4:40 PM
Ragsy

Yes, a clever name for Rags sweet colt but what? Seems they want to include Rags somehow with the Father this needs more research..Galileo will be easier to name...

Bambera lost her race..

I getting ant-sy,overeating and stressing over Lentenor, time is getting close...HRTV is on and waiting....

God Bless You Lentenor....

20 Mar 2010 5:21 PM

Hey JAJ and ALL

I visited thehorse.com and looked up "how to read a pedigree" and they stated, the X-Factor was

insignificant in the pedigree...just thought I would throw that in...

Yes, this race is light, sure hope Lentenor can take advantage...

Criminal Type

I think you just hit it...

20 Mar 2010 5:27 PM
Swale1984

Lenny is definitely in for a tough go of it today.  But, like everyone else who know how conservative MM and the Jacksons are, I believe Lentenor wouldn't be in here if they didn't think he could do well.

Not sure if the question of "Who has MM trained" was sufficiently answered. In addition to Barbaro and his brothers, Michael Matz has trained:

Round Pond, 2006 BC Distaff winner

Chelokee

Visionaire

Precious Kitten

just to name a few.  Just b/c he doesn't have a huge stable like Pletcher, Baffert, Asmussen, etc., doesn't mean he isn't a good trainer.

20 Mar 2010 6:16 PM
Ragsy

Well, Lentenor came in 4th, have heard numerous folks say that spot..thats ok...

Snowing here, may get 1-4 feet this week end..hope not..

20 Mar 2010 6:36 PM
lobieb

Not bad. Could not see the video that well but at least he did come in 4th.  Still needs to learn a bit more but am still very proud of our boy.  Just let him come out of this ok. and that is all I ask so that he can run another day. He is a Dynaformer and takes longer to develope.  Barbaro was the exception to the rule, but he will win his share once he gets the hang of it.  Am proud of Lentenor.

20 Mar 2010 6:37 PM
Linda/Maryland

I am so dissapointed :-(

20 Mar 2010 6:40 PM
JIM

Lentenor ran evenly is about the best you can put it....4th by about 7 lengths I'm guessing...no early speed, not much late kick

20 Mar 2010 6:41 PM
HROB

He ran a good race, got a little bogged up, but ran fourth. A solid effort.

20 Mar 2010 6:42 PM
Meleah

AWWWWW he got 4th!! I wonder if there's another shot at making the Derby feild?

20 Mar 2010 6:43 PM
Lou in TX

Well Lentenor came in 4th which I think is pretty good considering all the big names he was up against. He did good and is learning how to race.  MM has done a great job with him. At least now we know he's not headed to the Derby. Got the live stream from NTRA and it was great. MM had lots of comments before the race and he did say Lentenor was maturing slower than Barbaro. He's still a wonderful race horse and lots of good races to go in his lifetime.  All his FOB"s will definitely be there and cheering him on. Good job today Lentenor, hold your head up high.

20 Mar 2010 6:53 PM
Chuck Winn

@Fire Slam....Lookin at Lucky was checked hard down the backside, got himself gathered up and came on a won....sign of a REAL racehorse there...would have liked to see him have an easier time of it his first start of the year.

20 Mar 2010 6:54 PM
Ragsy

Yes, the Florida Derby was a very light group of racers today..we all know that Lent is not his Brother and Lentenor will race again but not at Kentucky Derby level...$37,700. in his pocket today... thats good, better than an allowance race..

I am sure MM will evaluate the race and find a spot for him to go..

1st time on dirt? How did he do??

I say give him more experience and there is no telling where he will go or to what heights he will soar....Just gotta love the Brothers....

20 Mar 2010 7:13 PM
JAJ

I thought he ran a good race to get 4th.  The track is known for not favoring deep closers and Lentenor ran at the back with the eventual winner.

He made a brave move to force himself between horses coming off the turn.

He'll get a lot out of that race.

20 Mar 2010 7:20 PM
Ragsy

Yeah, I still have "Looking At Lucky" at Number 1...in my picks...

I am sick of ice,sleet and snow!!

its still snowing!!!.....

20 Mar 2010 7:42 PM
Kathy

I can only surmise that Claiborne either didn't know the cause of Secretariat's laminitis or chose not to say what caused his laminitis.

There is so many reasons a horse can get laminitis that it may be hard to track down. Secretariat was apparently overweight when he contracted laminitis. Anyone of the reasons listed above could have made him overweight. Secretariat could have been in his stall recovering from some other ailment and upon recovery of that ailment gone outside and eaten too much green grass which could have messed up his digestive system. It appears that the cause of laminitis differs with the horse and a lot of times, owners and vets don't always know the cause.

20 Mar 2010 9:33 PM
jon

Actually..Lentenor ran a faster time than Lookin'at Lucky---1:41 vs 1:43, and that was turf vs. dirt...and really, as we saw today...Rule was not invincible, and Lentenor did a great job despite the new surface, jockey, and huge leap in class...

I think Lentenor should run in The Bluegrass and then The Preakness. If he gets a break, he can outrun these colts.

I would watch Odysseus as well, as he looks good for the Derby. Lentenor is too green to run in a virtual stampede where the best colts can look like cheap claimers. Look at what happened to Arazi, Proud Appeal, Cure The Blues...

21 Mar 2010 12:01 AM
Cal Gal

with the eye injury there is virtually no chance he'll be in the Derby. He does not presently have the earnings to qualify and won't get them because Mr. Matz will rest him and give the eye a chance to heal before running him again.

22 Mar 2010 11:52 AM
stardustyrose

Hi Barbaro family.

I have been not coming here because of all of the naysayers and bickering that has gone on.  I believe strongly that if people are not fans of Barbaro and his brothers, they are way out of line for comeing to this blog and saying negative things about any of these horses.

I for one love all of them.  As for the Florida Derby.  It is my opinion that Lenty is a turf horse.

I am hoping that this can put an end to a lot of people wanting Barbaro to be replaced.  THAT will never happen!  Each of these horses are have their own identity and should be loved for them.  There will NEVER be another Barbaro.

I am happy that he came home on four healthy legs and is back in the barn eating his oats, hay and peppermints.  NOT in New Bolton because of a fracture.  It does not matter to me win or lose with Nicnanor, Lentenor or Babynor.  What DOES matter to me is that we all love each of them and always continue to keep fighting for the horses.  THAT was Barbaro's legend.  :)

22 Mar 2010 1:35 PM
Lou in TX

Stardustyrose..good to hear from you. Just an FYI..Lentenor got a small cut in his right eye during this race. If you'd like to see the statement by Matz go to www.nytimes.com/.../21racing.html. Try posting on the new site Lentenor Runs 4th. Don't see any naysayers there yet. All good reads(165). Glad your back on.

22 Mar 2010 7:13 PM
Colmel

There are many ways a horse can contract laminitis. New Bolton Clinic has been working on the problem for years and (I believe) the Secretariat Fund is still helping to fund the research. If you are interested in the research, I suggest you check it out online. I'm also thinking that the Barbaro Fund may have also been involved in the research.

As for Secretariat, yes, he was overweight. He was as sweet as a stallion could be and he was also somewhat lazy. I like how they ride the stallions at Lane's End and always wondered if Secretariat might have benefitted from that. Sadly, it's all just conjecture at this point.

Laminitis is a killer. If we spent more effort and money on it, we might be able to, one day, find a way to - if not cure it - lessen its severity and we could save more horses.

I believe Kip Deville is doing much better (read an article in the BloodHorse not too long ago). Maybe the new therapies are showing more promise. I know that Lava Man also had stem-cell therapy on his ankle and it was successful enough to save him.

23 Mar 2010 7:14 AM
Ragsy

Colmel, I sure hope the Barbaro Fund is giving money for research into Laminitis because thats why I donate money to it!

I wondered if Kip and Lava man were using information from the research for laminitis, geared for their recovery......

23 Mar 2010 11:29 AM

Stardusty Rose

good to see you back...never allow naysayers to stop you,if you do they control what and where you go...and thats not good...

Gotta Love The Brothers!!!

23 Mar 2010 11:48 AM

Criminal Type

how about Rich's Globetrotter? or Riches Wanderer or Riches Voyager?? more than likely he will be named something like

Rich's Navagator....

or Prince Riches Henry , now wouldnt that be a twister...

23 Mar 2010 2:15 PM