‘Sculpting the Wind': The Story Behind the Barbaro Statue

The thousands of visitors who have visited Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby Museum over the past year have marveled at the majestic statue that greets them on the plaza outside Gate 1.

The 1,500-pound bronze statue depicts ill-fated Barbaro as he was all out to win the 2006 Kentucky Derby. As by now is well known, the great son of Dynaformer out of La Ville Rouge sustained a broken leg in the Preakness Stakes, setting off a chain of events that were chronicled by the national media over the next several months. An urn containing Barbaro's ashes is buried beneath the statue at Churchill Downs.

The statue is the work of artist Alexa King, who was chosen to create the sculptor by Roy and Gretchen Jackson, whose Lael Stables raced Barbaro and his brothers. The Jacksons commissioned the statue and selected King from about 100 artists who sought the honor of being able to immortalize Barbaro in bronze.

How King, who was then living in Wisconsin but later relocated to Kentucky with her husband Erc Bolland and dogs, came to be chosen for the project and the pains-taking work that went into the final product that so many race fans enjoy is now depicted in a documentary entitled "Sculpting the Wind," produced by Allison Pareis, a student at Ball State University. Allison, who received a scholarship from the National Turf Writers Association and Youbet.com through the Race For Education, received a grant from WPIB-TV and Ball State University to produce the documentary.

Thanks to Race For Education chairman Ingordo and Jack and Laurie Wolf of Starlight Stables, who serve on the RFE board, "Sculpting the Wind" was premiered in the Pollard Gallery at the Kentucky Derby Museum during Derby week this year.

The film, lasting about 30 minutes, follows King, who is also a product of Ball State University, from the time she first began work on the statue through to the final step of seeing the artwork unveiled by the Jacksons during Derby Week 2009.

"He (Barbaro) outran the wind," the artist says in the film. "He ran faster than that."

A horsewoman, King transformed her two-car garage into a studio in order to build the statue.

"You never know when you pick up the phone what the next job request is going to be," Alexa said of having the opportunity to even be in the running for the statue.

It was pure joy," says the artist's husband of her selection. "But then reality set in and the challenge was ahead."

Allison takes the viewer through all the steps undertaken by the artist, including formulation and building of the frame on which the bronze finish would later be applied at a foundry in Colorado.

This is an entertaining and information look inside look of an artist at work. It is more about the artist than the horse, but is certainly a work that enjoyed by any horse enthusiast and especially the Friends of Barbaro.

One bonus in the documentary is the song "I Love to Run (A Song for Barbaro), by Nashville recording artist Templeton Thompson especially for "Sculpting the Wind."

Allison's goal is to have Public Broadcasting Service affiliates other than WPIB-TV air the documentary.

tlclove

Great news.  The statue is breathtaking, depicting a an amazing creature who had extraordinary talent, guts, courage and beauty.  She captured his essence on that wonderful day at the Kentucky Derby.

17 May 2010 2:41 PM
GRAVIDEO

I can't wait to see it on my local PBS station.

17 May 2010 2:42 PM
Cgriff

It sounds a bit like a puff piece, though.  I wonder if all the initial parties who worked to find King and put her on this career making project will be interviewed.

This was more than just dumb luck in finding her as the right artist for the piece.

17 May 2010 5:41 PM
BarbC

Is there any way we would be able to purchase the video? If so, would you provide the information.  I would love to see the documentary.  I was at the Derby this year and just standing there by the statue, knowing Barbaro was buried beneath was amazing.  The emotion and love that went into that statue is unbelievable, you can just feel it standing there observing every detail of the statue, the detail is exact and precise.  What a work of art!

17 May 2010 7:54 PM
Paula Higgins

I will look for this show. Barbaro is number 1 in my heart forever. I will never forget him.

17 May 2010 8:11 PM
Lou in TX

Let's hope that some day it will be available on DVD. That would be awesome!!  Saw the statue last June and it was breath taking. Especially at night with the lights on it. Barbaro deserved every inch of that statue. Some of the materials that were used to make the statue were on display with the Barbaro Exhibit while it was at CHD. Very interesting.

That is what makes it so unbelievable that NBC didn't even mention Nicanor's race or the good that has come about since his  brother's death. Being at Pimlico just 4 yrs ago made it even more special.  The Friends of Barbaro deserve the credit for pushing forward with all their charieties and the one the Jackson's have recently put together.

Do hope this comes out on DVD so we can have it forever.

17 May 2010 8:26 PM
ona

I hope someone will step up to the plate and sponsor a video of this to be sold for the Barbaro Memorial Fund. Finding a cure for laminits will be Barbaro's legacy and his fans are more than willing to do their part. Buying the video, t-shirts and other Barbaro items is a way to give a gift to relatives and friends, thereby keeping his name in the limelight and even better than that, making new fans for Barbaro's memory.

The artist deserves every bit of fame she obtains because of the statute. She has cast Barbaro as majestic in bronz, as he was in real life.

17 May 2010 8:48 PM
Robin from Maryland

Visited CD in 2008, prior to the statue being placed.  It's in a beautiful spot, just outside of the museum - a fitting tribute to a great champion.  Can not wait to return and see the completed work. Will have to remember to bring 2 boxes of kleenex, because 1 was not enough the first time.  How appropriate that last years Derby winning trainer placed the garland of roses around Barbaros neck, I thought it was a wonderful thing to do and was hoping that maybe a tradition would begin in that each future derby roses would be placed on the statue.  Obviously TP felt otherwise.  Maybe in future years more compassionate trainers will once again wrap the roses around Bobby's neck.  It's a shame that we will never know His full potential - but that's what dreams are for. Rest in Peace sweet Barbaro, run with the eagles.

17 May 2010 10:05 PM
Maggie

i remember that day i was there and got to speak to Barbaro's owners. It was amazing to see him finnaly laid to rest in the home of his most famous race..

17 May 2010 10:14 PM
MJ

I look forward to seeing this documentary.

Barbaro's statue is a must see at Churchill Downs.  A couple got married in front of it opening weekend!

17 May 2010 11:22 PM
jackie

THAT STATUE REALLY MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE BARBARO IS STILL WITH US.  WHEN I STOOD BY IT YOU CAN'T HELP BUT FEEL BARBAROS PRESENTS WHEN YOU ARE NEAR IT.  i JUST WISH HIS BROTHERS HAD THE SAME TALENT.  BUT LIKE EDGAR PRADO SAID TO ME ONE DAY.  THERE WILL ONLY BE  ONE BARBARO.  I WANTED HIS BROTHERS TO PICK UP WHERE HE LEFT OFF AND I DON'T THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN.  RIP BARBARO

18 May 2010 8:33 AM
Rachel

It's a beautiful work of art, but in my mind's eye Barabaro runs free of all human constraints ♥

18 May 2010 9:25 AM
GreyK

First let's all contact our local PBS stations and urge them to schedule this documentary for boradcast.  You can find yours on pbs.org, I believe.  Then we can get to work on the dvd.

18 May 2010 9:51 AM
Jane

It's a shame that NBC never showed the statue once during its broadcast of the Derby and similarly failed to show or mention Nicanor running in the Dixie Stakes immediately preceding the Preakness. If ever there were a human interest story in racing, it's Barbaro. I just hope to visit Churchill Downs one day to see the statue myself.

18 May 2010 9:53 AM
Joanne

Yes - Barbaro was a once in a lifetime horse.  Although his brothers are talented they are not in the same league as their big brother.  He was so very special. I can't wait to come down and see the statute in person.

18 May 2010 9:57 AM
Aleine

When the statue was being created I asked the foreman of the project about having grass,identical to the grass at Lael Stable, planted on or near the base. It was Barbaro's last meal and also it was mentioned several times during his recovery that Barbaro knew the difference between his "home grass" and the other grains that were given to him. He remembered the taste of home!  That would've been a huge and fitting tribute to one of the great ones, Barbaro. My suggestion was considered but not used. Oh well, I still have "Barbaro's bourbon" here at home.  The commemorative 750mL bottle from Maker's Mark which lists Barbaro as the '06 Derby winner.  It's my treasure.

18 May 2010 11:03 AM
Ball State Alum

Ball State University can be proud of both the sculptor and the filmmaker.

18 May 2010 2:26 PM
Barbaro and Curlin Fan

I was at the debut at Churchill and this is one excellent show. You will love it. It's very well done.

18 May 2010 8:11 PM
Frankie Lovato

This is such a beautiful thing and I am so excited to see the documentary! Also a great singer song writer Templeton Thompson did the music for the documentary and wrote a song in memory of Barbaro called "I Love To Run" It will give you chills!

19 May 2010 9:40 AM
Jclson(Fan of Nicanor

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THAT SPECIAL ON BARBARO.   I KNOW I SAID IT BEFORE BUT I AM GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN.  WHEN I STOOD BY THAT STATUE I WAS ALWAAYS FEELING LIKE BARBARO WAS THERE.  IM NOT INTO GHOST I AM A HUGE SKEPTIC.  BUT WHEN I WAS AT HIS STATUE I WAS STANDING THERE BY MYSELF AND I KEPT SEEING A LARGE SHADOW BEHIND ME I THOUGHT IT WAS A SHADOW OF A TREE OR SOMEBODY ELSE ANDNOBODY WAS THERE.  I WOULD MOVE AROUND THE STATUE AND I KEPT SEEING THE SHADOW BEHIND ME IN THE CORNER OF MY EYE AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS.   I SAW IT FOR A WHILE THEN IT ALL OF A SUDDEN GOT WINDY AND I NEVER SAW IT AGAIN.  U MIGHT THINK I AM CRAZY OR MAYBE THERE WAS A EXPLANATION I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IT.

19 May 2010 10:32 AM
Vevie1

I also thought that it was a wonderful thing when last year's trainer put the wreath on Barbaro's statue. I think it was a fitting thing to do. Also at this year's Derby they didn't even mention Barbaro. When they mentioned Edgar Prado at the Preakness there was no mention at all. They want to put it behind them but the fans won't let them. Some day I will go see the statue.

20 May 2010 12:24 PM
Kilgore Trout

Vevie1,

I have seen the statue and think it is a beautiful tribute to Barbaro.  Youu should try to go and see it for yourself.  That said, I feel the lack of coverage of Barbaro's death in the Derby and Preakness coverage was refreshing.  We've had 3 TCs with the same old footage over and over.  It's time to let the candles go out and move on.  Many horses have died since Barbaro, and many more will.  He was a special horse, but true racing fans are growing weary of seeing the same footage over and over.  It's time to move on.

20 May 2010 3:32 PM
Lou in TX

Kilgore Trout....I beg to differ.  If it wasn't for Barbaro and the Friends of Barbaro there would not be all the research going on for  the cure of laminitis and and the anti-slaughter of retired TB's and other horses. The Friends of Barbaro have raised more than $400,000.00 for different charities doing research on that horrible disease. Apparently the Jackson's (who owned Barbaro) don't agree with you either since a new chariety has been recently formed to find a cure for all kinds of horse diseases and to provide better health for these beautiful creatures. And they did this in his memory.

You are welcomed to move on but Barbaro will never be forgotten.

20 May 2010 7:14 PM
Greg J.

Kilgore Trout,

"It's time to move on", I disagree 100 percent, Until Laminitis has a cure, It will never be "time to move on".  Barbaro is history's most recent face of this deadly disease, And every time his story is told or brought up, It is an opportunity to remind people about this tragic disease and donations go up whenever his plight is mentioned.  Until laminitis is cured, "It never will be time to move on"...

21 May 2010 8:25 AM
Ragsy

Kilgore Trout

Barbaro will forever more be in the hearts and minds of true horse racing fans, you do have permission to forget, all others will never forget.  Even with the cure for Laminitis, I cant imagine anyone forgetting the most wonderful CHAMPION BARBARO!!!!

How I miss that beautiful horse!!!!

21 May 2010 7:25 PM
stardustyrose

Hi Barbaro Nation!

I don't know if this vid fits for what someone had mentioned but I made it for the connections of  Barbaro and Edgar last night  Just thought I would come over here and post it.  By the way, I had to shut down my other account because someone was jealous of my vids.  soooooooooo sad.  they are filled with love & Barbaro & all of the sibilings.  OH well.  Here ya all go.

Greg cya over there.  ;)

There are a few typos.  I need the name of Barbaro's groom so I can change that.  :)

www.youtube.com/watch

God Bless you all ♥

21 May 2010 7:46 PM
stardustyrose

ona

I would be happy to make a video.  I have a lot of work to do but I sure could make one for her (can't give an exact date as I am really super busy).  :) i would need a song that SHE likes.  :)  ♥

♥Barbaro♥

21 May 2010 7:50 PM
stardustyrose

Greg J.  I am not movin on either when it comes to THAT!  There have been some major changes in my life but Barbaro and my love for horses will NEVER falter.  :))  That is why it hurts me when my account gets reported to U-Tube for using a picture that I already had permission to use!!  Un-REAL!

♥Barbaro♥

21 May 2010 7:53 PM
stardustyrose

Hi Everyone.

Greg J.  Good to see ya.  :)

Naysayers later!!!!! I made this video last night for the people that saved Barbaro. Enjoy.

www.youtube.com/watch

♥Barbaro♥ is Love that is L.O.V.E.

21 May 2010 8:15 PM
Aleine

Greg J:

You're 100% correct!!   Laminitis is horrible. Think of poor Secretariat dying at 19 due to the same disease as Barbaro. (Can't believe he can't be exhumed and moved to his native VA).

My money is on laminitis research and so should everyone's (yes, I decree).  So...let the games begin.

Shouled I offer for auction Barbaro's bourbon bottle or just inter it in Louisville inside his tomb? (There's gotta be lots of room inside the tomb, Barbaro is in an urn)

22 May 2010 8:39 AM
jclson(Fan of Nicanor)

Kilgore Trout I'm a huge Fan of Barbaro All of us on here are and I myself can't explain why he has touched so many lives like he has. Mr and Mrs Jackson still to this day get  sympathy cards.  Edgar Prado has told me he is not the same Jockey that he was since barbaro every time he is racing He will see a glimpse of Barbaro.  Every time i see something about him on tv i get teary eyed.  I'm sure i am not alone.  None of us can explain why he has touched us so much.  I have horses 11 of them none of them touched me like this.  LIke Barbaros Dr said some people will never get it and maybe you are one of those people that has to move on.

22 May 2010 9:27 AM
Kilgore Trout

Greg & Lou,

Obviously the powers that be in the media know when enough is enough.  They had very limited coverageof Barbaro's plight.  Laminitis is a horrible disease, but to discuss it ad nausium is detrimental to racing.

The TV coverage should be entertaining.

22 May 2010 11:13 AM
Penny in TX

I agree totally with Lou in Tx and Greg J. You have to think about all the good Barbaro's death has brought about and how many people Barbaro has brought together. Barbaro will never be forgotten and the lessons we have learned from him.

22 May 2010 3:36 PM
Greg J.

Kilgore Trout,

Yes, You are right, Let's make everything entertaining and brush all of the problems in the world under the rug and forget them, Maybe they will all cure themselves while we are all entertained?  Please, Your comment is idiotic...

23 May 2010 9:34 AM
Linda/Maryland

The Good and Awareness of Laminitis and Horse Slaughter that Barbaro's death has brought out in so many people has been a life saver for so many horses already and in the future.

The stem cell implantation for laminitis might just be what it is going to take to cure it. Every day a horse is saved from the agony and pain of Slaughter, because of Barbaro's FOB and many other groups who have sprung up since the publicity surrounding Barbaro's accident and struggle to live. I would rather still have Barbaro, but since we can't we will have to look forward into the good that has come from his memory.

Love you always Barbaro ~!!!!!

23 May 2010 1:26 PM
JAJ

I think it's great that Barbaro's fans have joined together to do a lot of good in the world, but I have to say, I tend to agree with Kilgore Trout.

Lots of issues are heart breaking, but in general if we flood the media with sadness people just turn off.

There was no reason to highlight Barbaro on Kentucky Derby day although I thought a mention was due to Nicanor running in a stake on the Preakness undercard.

23 May 2010 2:50 PM
Lou in TX

Kilgore Trout.....each to his own!!

Hope you enjoyed the interview with Lindsey Vonn during the Preakness and all the other notables who were there. They really have a lot to do with racing and helping the sport survive. If you call that entertainment, so be it. I know they have donated thousands of dollars to help find a cure for equine diseases and to promote anti-horse slaughter. They really help put horse racing on the map and bring in new people to the sport.

Our love of horses is much more than that. We are trying to help the sport of horse racing not make it a place for those in show business to promote their latest venture.

Long live Barbaro's Memory and the good things yet to come.

Stardustyrose...loved your video. Great work!!

23 May 2010 3:27 PM
LINDA BURDETTE

I am so appreciative that you keep all of us abreast of Barbaro's wonderful family.  I am just so interested.  I really fell in love with Barbaro..I fell very deeply...I feel sad for laVille Rouge loosing her filly....I pray she will be healthy enough to produce a very healthy filly or colt....just so happy you let us fans in on the latest of news.  thanks so much...

23 May 2010 10:10 PM
SQ

I totally agree that I was also disappointed in NBC for not discussing the Barbaro statue during the Kentucky Derby. Instead of interviewing worthless celebrites-they could have spent sometime discussing the statue-Shame on you NBC!

24 May 2010 10:09 AM
Joanne

Hi all:  I agree with everyone who was disappointed in the Preakness coverage with no mention whatsoever of Barbaro and the fact that his kid brother was running on that day.  Who cares about the Olympics! It's the PREAKNESS!! Maybe another network who knows about horse racing should cover these big races because I think NBC lost focus.  I am and will always be a hugh Barbaro and Edgar Prado fan.  I met Edgar and have read his book - he'll always remember his ride on Barbaro - and I still cry at the videos and of the HBO special (which is on HBO On Demand until June 6).  It is a wonderful story - especially all the good that will come out of this injury.  As for Kilgore Trout - why comment at all - since this is a Fans of Barbaro site after all.  We will always love our Barbaro and all of his connections forever.

24 May 2010 10:42 AM
Vevie1

JAJ: Why not? Barbaro was a Kentucky Derby winner just like Secretariat. Just because of his unfortunate accident doesn't mean he has to be forgotten. They should mention his name along with Big Brown and all the other KD winners. I had never watched racing or was aware of horse diseases like laminitis until Barbaro. I became more concerned and even signed several petitions and contacted my State Senator regarding the horse slaughter bill. To get one person to do this is amazing but to get thousands involved is even more amazing and all because of one horse named Barbaro. I will never forget him.

24 May 2010 10:48 AM
stardustyrose

Hi Barbaro Nation

~Edgar Prado~ requested I use this song about a month before Barbaro's birthday.  Some of you may have seen it.  In case you haven't, here it is.  I know we are past his B-day but I haven't been here in a while.....

Greg J.<<<<<<<<< We need to pool for the Belmont.  :)

www.youtube.com/watch

♥Barbaro♥  song requested by his brilliant jocky :)

God Bless you all ~~~~~~~~~~~~~♥

24 May 2010 4:07 PM
stardustyrose

Lou in TX

Thankyou.  How ya been?  Long time no see aye?  :)

24 May 2010 4:08 PM
Lou in TX

JAJ... thanks for the words on NBC not even mentioning Nicanor's  Stakes race.  All we are trying to say is that Barbaro will never be forgotten. If the cure of laminitis was brought to the fore front because of him, don't you think that he at least deserves a mention?  We're not talking about how he got hurt and replay all the pain he was in but the fact because of this horrible accident, we might actually find a cure for this horrible disease. That's all we are saying. I think it hurts each and every FOB soo much that we definitely don't want to relive that horrible day.  But the fact that it was 4yrs to the day that it happened, he deserved a mention and how a lot of money has been raised to find a cure for this horrible disease.  That's all we wanted was just a mention not a full length movie! Nicanor at least deserved some recognition being that he is his full brother and running a Stakes race on that very day.  Off my soap box now.

I do understand where you are coming from and know you loved Barbaro so forgive me if I tended to rant.

24 May 2010 6:40 PM
JAJ

Lou in TX,

From that perspective, as the catalyst for all the good that FOBs have done, yes, I agree that there should maybe have been a mention and a bit of a feature on that part of the Barbaro story.  I just think it is not good for racing to focus on the heart break of racing when horses break down.  I also think that many of the FOBs need to get over their grieving.  It just isn't healthy.

Personally I thought the NBC coverage was downright awful.

25 May 2010 9:28 AM
Lou in TX

Stardustyrose...doing fine and I've been around. How have you been? We missed you not being here for awhile. Know you must have been busy like the rest of us.

I'm getting ready to go keep my 3 grandchildren for 3 days while Mom and Dad go celebrate their wedding anniversery.

Am looking forward to seeing one of our boys race again. Nicanor needs to win one to bring his confidence back. Did you see the new pics of Margano? Isn't he handsome!!  Now if we can only find out if LVR is in foal again. Guess she needs more time before we'll know for sure.

Good to hear from you, keep on postin'.

25 May 2010 11:20 AM
Bellwether

RAN OUT OF HIS SKIN...HE WAS A "FREAK"...LONG LIVE THE KING!!!...

27 May 2010 4:33 AM
cathyt02

Just a quick question, we are passing through Louisville tomorrow on our way back to CO and wanted to know if you can see the Barbaro statue without having to enter Churchill Downs. Would be awesome to see & take pics. Thanks

27 May 2010 9:37 AM
Greg J.

Cathyt02,

On your question, You don't have to purchase a ticket to see the statue of Barbaro.  The Jacksons arranged this, So people wouldn't need to pay to see him, Have a great time...

27 May 2010 1:30 PM
cathyt02

Thanks for the info Greg, we are on our way there now!

28 May 2010 2:19 PM
Chris

I too saw the statue and was there for the unveiling. It is an incredible piece of work and so fitting for the champion Barbaro was, on and off the track! I hope peole never forget it is also hallowed ground because it is where he is laid to rest. It deserves respect and honor and unfortunately, I think too much of that in society is being taken for granted! I went on itunes and downloaded the song. It is absolutely wonderful and it gave me goosebumps especially remembering the poem Mrs. Jackson read right before the unveiling. He was born to run. As for moving on well there are way too many horses in need of rescue and FOB's continue to step up to the plate. Maybe, just maybe our remembrance keeps us fighting for all those horses who have no voice and need people to fight for their survival.There is still a lot of work to be done and we need to keep fighting everyday to help the rescues and the horses.

29 May 2010 10:50 AM
Ragsy

JAJ

Not meaning to butt in.. but, its not grief anymore for Barbaro, Its more like Love an undying love and its great to reflect on whats being done in research in his name, in hopes that more folks will donate....

29 May 2010 4:34 PM
cathyt

The only word I have is AWESOME!!!!

30 May 2010 11:31 PM
Lynn Holbrook

Barbaro was a special horse.  He gave his all; now we have this beautiful bronze to honor him.

31 May 2010 10:57 AM
stardustyrose

Lou in TX `````

I have been great & VERY busy.  Loving life these days.  ♥Margano♥ is absolutely stunning!  The beauty I see in him; words cannot describe.  :)  Glad to see ya again, been awhile aye?  Hope life is treating you well.

@ Greg~~~~ Tri for the Belmont "in your email"  ;)))  5 horses. tell me if you agree.  :)

Love you all ~~Barbaro Nation~~ ♥

♥Margano♥

01 Jun 2010 8:46 PM
stardustyrose

A vid some of you would love & others won't LOL.  I will never forget ♥Barbaro♥  :))

www.youtube.com/watch

God Bless You all ~ enjoy~ ♥Barbaro♥

01 Jun 2010 8:58 PM
sandieh

It is so good to be back and see Ragsy, StardustyRose, Lou in Tx,Greg and everyone elso that has been here following the life of Barbaros family!

The statue is so beautiful, the Jackson family has been very generous in sharing this treasure with us and letting us follow updates with Nicky, Lennie and Margano. I have a profile picture of Barbaro and Nicky on shedrow, they look exactly alike, so handsome! I  hope everything is well with Lennie and Margano.I feel lucky, Margano was born on my birthday, March 10. I hope we can see all back on the track again soon!

And HUGE thanks again to Bloodhorse for giving us a way to stay in touch!

Chris, I agree with your post on 05/29, there certainly is a lot to be done to continue with awareness of horse abuse and rescue.

01 Jun 2010 10:06 PM
Lou in TX

Hey All

Just got word from the Delaware Race Track that Rosie is scheduled to race there again on Sat. Soo glad her fall wasn't serious yesterday.

In cas you hadn't heard, she won her race at Lone Star Park in TX and was the first female jockey to win there.  She was covered up with reporters after the race. So happy for her. Hopefully one day MM will consider putting her back on Nicanor.  They just seemed to hit it off.

02 Jun 2010 5:40 PM
Criminal Type

I for one hope they do find a cure for this terribly debilitating and deadly disease. Barbaro and many others suffered tremendous pain from laminitis, including Secretariat. Thanks to the awareness that Barbaro brought about, there have been great strides made to combat this killer.  I say Well Done to the FOB and the many people who have made donations for Laminitis research. Does anyone know how Kip Deville is doing?

10 Jun 2010 7:06 PM
Colmel

Spent "Belmont" morning at Churchill. Finally got to see the Barbaro statue. MAGNIFICENT!!! I believe that Ms. King has caught the grandeur and the glory that was Barbaro. I couldn't help but burst into tears upon first sight. Knowing Barbaro's ashes were underneath was so sad, but at least he has been immortalized for all time.

On the bright side, we took a backside tour and got to see the big girl, herself! Yep! Ms. Rachel Alexandra was walking in the shedrow and I recognized her immediately. I leaned as far out of the Museum's van as possible and got a couple of pretty darned good photos. What a girl!!!

11 Jun 2010 1:41 PM
sandieh

Our hearts break once again with hearing the news about Kip Deville passing from laminitis. Kip Deville also struggled eight months with this terrible disease,similar to our darling Barbaro. Rest, dear Kip and with all our equine angels, Hoofprints in Heaven........

12 Jun 2010 8:02 AM
Greg J.

R.I.P. Kip Deville...

12 Jun 2010 11:11 AM
Chris K

Dear Criminal Type,

Kip DeVille has succumbed to laminitis.  Bloodhorse posted this info on Saturday.  It's on the homepage. He was doing well then suddenly took a turn for the worse.  This is exactly how it happened with our Barbaro.  Laminitis is very unpredictable and deadly.  Hopefully we will find a cure someday.

12 Jun 2010 11:17 AM
Ragsy

I had a prayer service at home for Kip Deville, such a loss to horse racing.

14 Jun 2010 10:59 AM
Greg J.

FYI,

Nicanor was supposed to race on tuesday, But, The conditions of the race changed, SO, He is now racing on Wednesday the 16th, Race #4(2:36 p.m. eastern), Is is on the turf at 1 1/16 miles.  Hope he runs safe and takes home the victory on his favorite track :)

14 Jun 2010 3:15 PM
MJ

GO Nicanor!

14 Jun 2010 8:46 PM
sandieh

GO, Nickeeeeeeeeeeeeee! wish i could be there to give you a peppermint! Lennie, hope its not long before we see you again, and Margano (aka Babynor) when do you go to school? It is do precious to have watched all of these brothers grow and develope, does anyone know if LaVille Rouge is in foal?

15 Jun 2010 7:37 PM
Chris K

Good Luck Nicky.  I  hope Mr. Matz puts blinkers on you that way you will pay attention to the track not not mind what the other horses are doing.  Is Rosie the jockey?

15 Jun 2010 10:54 PM
Kalesa

Hi Greg J, can you tell us which racetrack is he racing on? thank you for the info.

GO Nicanor... Good Luck to you...

15 Jun 2010 11:46 PM
Kalesa

i found it, it's on Delaware Race track. I'm just wondering why Rosie didn't mount him. is J Valdivia a good rider. i just wish Rosie mount him again. seems like they click all the time.

15 Jun 2010 11:51 PM
Cassidy

GO NICANOR!!:)

16 Jun 2010 10:34 AM
Greg J.

Well, Nicanor looked great today, Went wire to wire and won easily.  Jose seemed like a perfect fit for him and lets hope he can stay on Nicanor in the future!  Yes, It was a big drop in class, But, He needed a race and this is what came up.  It was a confidence boost for him and he won in hand with ease.  Let him rate on the lead and the sky's the limit for Nicanor, Bravo to the Jacksons, Mr. Matz and Jose, Great Day for ALL!!!

I will say this, I am amazed that Bloodhorse, Who has a blog dedicated to the brothers, Couldn't even start a new entry about today's race?  Boggles my brain...

16 Jun 2010 3:05 PM
Colmel

According to the comments..."NICANOR broke alertly and saved ground setting the pace then pulled away with good energy to win with something left." Guess he just punched another ticket. Saratoga is going to be really exciting this summer!

16 Jun 2010 3:10 PM
MJ

Not even a blog about Nicanor's race and win.

How about letting Greg be a guest blogger on here?

16 Jun 2010 3:14 PM
QueenZ

NICANOR WINS BY 2 1/2!!!!!

16 Jun 2010 3:24 PM
Cal Gal

Nick won it wire to wire without blinkers -- he and Jose are a good partnership.

16 Jun 2010 4:02 PM
LyndaP31

Very important win for Nicanor! Now off to bigger and better things.

16 Jun 2010 7:21 PM
Ragsy

I cant believe "Line Of David" is retired.  Guess, its a good thing I got those pictures of him while at the Arkansas Derby.  Dang, horses just do not race long enough!!!!

21 Jun 2010 5:20 PM
Ragsy

Hey Colmel

I will trade you some of my Zenyatta pictures for some of your Ms Rachel Alexandra pictures.

23 Jun 2010 6:55 AM