Derby Mo-jo, Part 1

(As part of special series leading up to the Triple Crown, Mike Repole, owner of undefeated champion Uncle Mo, has agreed to author an exclusive guest blog for Triple Crown Talk. The blog, a diary of sorts, will chronicle Repole's thoughts on the Kentucky Derby favorite as he makes his way through the Triple Crown trail. Repole will do his best to respond to questions and comments, though please understand that his time is limited).

I remember the fall afternoon in September, 2009 like it was yesterday. I was sitting in my New York office when my racing manager, Jim Martin, called me about Hip No. 1193--a number I will never forget. He said he and Jimmy Crupi loved this bay colt at the Keeneland yearling sale. I was very excited as I grabbed my book and looked up Hip No. 1193, however I quickly became disappointed when the first thing I saw was that he was by Indian Charlie. My immediate reaction was, "Are you guys crazy? I don't have any luck with Indian Charlie!"

As I sit here writing this 17 months later, I have to look back at that day and laugh about adamantly not being interested in buying a colt who I would later name Uncle Mo. Though it pains me to give those two guys credit, I am not embarrassed to say without them I would have never owned what I think is the best 3-year-old Thoroughbred on the planet. My goal is to surround myself with the smartest people in the industry and empower them to make decisions, and that's what I've done. That being said, at the end of the day I'm the one writing the checks, so I have to at least give myself some credit!

It was in March, 2010 when I actually saw Uncle Mo breeze for the first time. I had 20 2-year-olds at Jimmy Crupi's New Castle Farm in Ocala, and all of them were getting set to work. On hand with me were Jim, Jimmy, and Todd Pletcher.

Of the 20 horses, Mo easily stood out from the others. Even as Mo worked an easy three furlongs, it was clearly evident not only how fast he was but how easily he was moving. If you hadn't seen the stopwatch, you would have thought he was galloping. It was a thing of beauty. Todd looked over at me and said, "That's the best horse you own."

I replied back to Todd, "It doesn't take four Eclipse Awards to figure that out. Thanks."

When Mo went to Todd in June he quickly confirmed his status as his top 2-year-old. He was showing all the signs of being a star already, but until they spring the gates in the afternoon you never know. He was the worst kept tip in racing history when he went off at 4-5 in 12-horse field in his Aug. 28 debut at Saratoga, but we got our answer when Mo romped by more than 14 lengths in an absolutely breathtaking performance.

To steal Travers day, with all the major stakes winners we saw--Afleet Express, Discreetly Mine, and Rightly So to name a few--was utterly amazing. Being a fan for 30 years and an owner for six years, I knew it was special, but looking back now I guess I was a little naïve about the magnitude of what I just witnessed and how much buzz this horse would generate over the coming weeks. It wasn't just the winning margin that was so impressive, but also the final time and how easily he did it. The 102 Beyer and 2 1/2 Ragozin number that he scored were some of the fastest we've ever seen from a 2-year-old. Within a couple of days I was turning down million dollar offers for Mo.

Then it was off to the Champagne in early October where Mo went to Belmont as the 1-5 morning-line favorite. Fortunately for Mo, he wasn't aware that his owner carried an 0-for-27 streak into graded stakes races--a streak that covered over 3 1/2 years. It was easily the most nerve-wracking week and race I've ever had as an owner. I called Todd at least 50 times that week and went to see Mo three times. I'm not sure if I was more excited or sick. With 50 friends and family on hand at my home racetrack and a horse who was already being billed as potentially the next superstar, there was a lot of pressure. As the race unfolded, that pressure turned to outright fear when I saw Mo being pressed through an opening half in :45 and 4/5. At that moment, I thought there was no way this horse was going to be able to hold onto this lead.

So when he opened up in the stretch and pulled clear to win by almost five lengths, I was not only in awe but was so emotional that I had tears in my eyes--he had just finished up in 1:34 2/5, just one 1/5 off the stakes record! The win that day, believe it or not, was even more satisfying and more fun than the Breeders' Cup Juvenile four weeks later. Before that race, I was known as the Vitaminwater guy who owned a bunch of $20,000 claimers and couldn't win a graded stakes. Finally, the kid from Queens won a grade I race in front of the hometown fans. It was off to Louisville.

To have just one Breeders' Cup starter is a thrill of a lifetime. With both Mo and Stay Thirsty there, it was truly unbelievable. And, oh by the way, they were in the same race. With more than 50 friends and family making the trip, Thursday felt like Thanksgiving, Friday felt like Christmas Eve, and Saturday felt like Christmas Day. Mo had brought together my closest friends and family, from my 5-year-old niece to my 85-year-old grandmother. Win or lose, the weekend was going to be very special. For a normally high-strung, Type A guy like myself, I felt unusually calm and satisfied.

The biggest thrill I've ever gotten in racing--and I still have chills as I write this--was watching Mo racing near five horses who were within about a length of him at the top of the stretch, and then seeing him open up by five lengths in what seemed like five seconds. It felt like a Mike Tyson first-round knockout when he was in his prime. There was such a feeling of joy and emotion after that race to not only own a Breeders' Cup winner, but also the likely 2-year-old champion.

There are a lot of great horses who have had outstanding 2-year-old campaigns, and from now on when they talk about the great ones, Mo will always be mentioned in that conversation.

Many reporters have asked me what my goal is in promoting Mo. It's an easy answer for me. I'm a horse racing fan first and an owner second. My only goal is to make Uncle Mo as accommodating and accessible as possible to the fans; whether it's through this blog, or his Facebook and Twitter pages, or by answering the many letters I get--some of them from as far away as Japan. All I want to do is give back to the fans that have supported him. Since I'm also a fan, that's what I would want too. At the end of the day I'm not going to ask other owners to follow my lead, but I would hope that they will share their special horses with racing fans as well.

Photo: Joe DiOrio

After some much deserved time off at the New Castle, Mo is back. Unfortunately so is my stress and anxiety, but more importantly, the excitement is too. Owning a special horse like Mo is a roller-coaster of emotions. Mo had a stretch-your-legs type of work on Jan. 30 at Palm Meadows and then a really strong week of galloping after that. On Feb. 6, he had a particularly encouraging work that Todd termed "excellent and textbook." That's all I needed to hear from Todd. Mo is back!!!!

As everyone knows, with horses you have to take one day, one breeze, one race at a time. You can't get too far ahead of yourself. We couldn't be any happier with how he is doing right now, and that is all we can hope for. As of today, we can't be in any better position. He is the Kentucky Derby favorite and right now I feel like I am the luckiest horse owner in the world. I'm so appreciative and blessed, and wouldn't trade places with anyone.

I'm sincerely overwhelmed at the genuine interest and love so many fans have shown in Mo. When Blood-Horse asked me if I was interested in doing this blog, I wasn't just interested, I was flattered. I look forward to sharing more with all of you in the next blog and answering your questions. Until then, let's all hope we can keep the MOmentum going!

Wishing you the best,

Mike

For more on Uncle Mo's pedigree click here

Photo: Joe DiOrio

Charmed By Silver

Go Mo for the 2011 T.C.!!!

All the support in the world to a superstar colt and a gracious owner!

10 Feb 2011 4:42 PM
Norma

Thank you Mike for sharing your experience and thoughts on Uncle Mo. Like you I am excited about this year's Kentucky Derby and the potential what Uncle Mo may accomplish...good luck. I look forward to your next blog. Take care

10 Feb 2011 4:56 PM
David

As a long time fan of this sport, I say we need Mo' owners like you, Mike. Thanks for sharing your experiences with Uncle Mo.

10 Feb 2011 5:16 PM
Ted from LA

Great article, Mike.  I have a few comments and suggestions.  First off, never use,  "That being said, at the end of the day..." in the same month, muchless sentence.  Secondly, I suggest you offer Draynay $1,000,000 to get off your horse and start touting any other 3 year-old on the planet.  Thirdly, another way to bring this excitement to the average fan would be to invite Ted from LA to the winner's circle with you on Derby Day.  He will dress the part.

10 Feb 2011 5:41 PM
Freetex

Sure glad you didn't take any of those offers on Mo.  As the Kentucky Derby gets closer there will be many, many, more to come.

Keep the Uncle.  He needs you in his corner.

Thanks for thinking of the fans.  You will be repaid in kind.  Your the kind of owner the fans can identify with and your horse is no slouch either!

Gotta love Uncle Mo.

10 Feb 2011 5:43 PM
sodapopkid

Mike,You and the Moss' are doing what the sport needs best. We are living in a day now where the fans want to see more of their favorite horses.   By having a facebook page and keeping it updated, this is a new fad that is sweeping the fans like mad.   Its great,  I love that the Moss's done it and still continue to do so and you are too.   This is what the fans want and desire, And I love it that some of you like to keep the fans happy.     thank you, Mike Repole,   UMO is the Real Deal....

10 Feb 2011 5:47 PM
tbarrach

Although I was not privileged to see Mo in the flesh while he was here in Ocala there is a beautiful portrait of him by Moe Hahn hanging at the OBS store on Hwy 27.  His groom said she captured his expression perfectly.  He is one gorgeous boy, and we look forward to his three year old career and hopefully the Triple Crown!  Thank you for making him accessible to the fans!

10 Feb 2011 5:50 PM
charlie sheen

hey mike name your next one uncle charlie!

10 Feb 2011 5:50 PM
ttimsan

Thank you Mike for your willingness to share the Uncle Mo experience. What a great insight for the fans - and count me as one! I got the shivers watching Mo run that I haven't felt since Alysheba came home 3rd in the 85 Juvenile. The very best of luck and blessings on the TC trail!

10 Feb 2011 5:55 PM
Coup Verville

You're a breath of fresh air, Mike.

10 Feb 2011 6:00 PM
lisa in nj

This is wonderful, I love the fact that the owner is writing this!  I have been a fan of TB racing since 1975 and IF I were ever to become an owner I would love to share my thoughts and moments with the fans who are everything to this sport.  Thank you Mike and Uncle MO!

10 Feb 2011 6:43 PM
In aint easy being good!

Mike if your a fan like us and Mo turns out to be a beast make sure you bring him back at 4!!! The best part of Zenyatta love her or hate her was that the owners brought her back and created one of the most exciting racing days in history. The Kentucky Derby is special but last years breeders cup is one for the ages!

10 Feb 2011 6:49 PM
Mary P

It's wonderful that a fan owns such a great horse!  I think you are beyond a class act, letting us have a facebook fan page updated with fun instances, to your speech at the awards, to this blog(great idea and so much fun).  Uncle Mo has an A team in his corner and I trust in the horse and his "family" to stay healthy and keep his winning ways.  Thanks Uncle Mike!

10 Feb 2011 6:50 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Thank you so much for sharing your article with us Mike Repole.  You and the Mosses are shining examples of what an owner should be.  You, singlehandedly, could run circles around the entire industry.  You have the heart, the passion for the sport, the marketing saavy and corporate managerial skills, and best of all Uncle Mo himself!  He looks awesome and I wish him the best of luck.  If Uncle Mo makes it all the way to the Belmont Stakes, please try to convince NYRA to do a "Meet Uncle Mo" promotion.  There was talk of it for Big Brown but it never came to fruition.  The two key elements in horseracing are at the core, the horse and the fan and connecting the two is essential for industry success.  You, as well as the Mosses, "get it." They made Zenyatta so accessible to her fans and you seem to be doing that with Uncle Mo as well.  I hope you and your friends and family enjoy immensely this ride Uncle Mo is taking you on and I hope to be standing at Belmont Park come June as I always do, this time with a Triple on the line, and Uncle Mo is going for it.  Not to worry about the Indian Charlie sire line, in the Derby even the bluest of the bluebloods need the heart and luck to get themselves out of the traffic jam and Mo seems to have just that.  All The Best.

10 Feb 2011 6:51 PM
Melodie

Mike, you seem to truly love and care for your special horse.  Your blog made me cry!  Racing needs MO people like you; thank you for sharing your outstanding individual with us racing fans.  I look forward to seeing Mo race and to reading more of your blogs.  In addition, I am praying that he will run in the Derby!

10 Feb 2011 6:53 PM
Ellen

A terrific piece...thanks for sharing your horse with us...good luck!! I hope more owners will follow your example...

10 Feb 2011 6:56 PM
Racefan76

I am beyond excited about Uncle Mo and seeing him run in the Derby and hopefully be the next Triple Crown winner. What a breath of fresh air to see a genuine man who truly cares about his horse, the sport and his fans. Good Luck!!! Love ya Uncle Mo!!!

10 Feb 2011 6:57 PM
txhorsefan

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your horse with the fans!  Uncle Mo is so talented and beautiful, but to see the photos and videos of his owner interacting with him and actually caring about him, knowing his personality - it's all those little things that endear him to us and make us wish even stronger for him to become the champion we all feel he can be.  Thank you is simply not enough, but I'll say it again any way.  All the best!

@Ted from LA - thank for the laugh!

10 Feb 2011 7:18 PM
Equination.net

Excellent start to your Derby Mo Jo blog, Mr. Repole!  It's fantastic what you are doing for the sport by sharing all of this with fans worldwide.  I hope for nothing but success for you, especially so we can continue to be a part of your journey as a fan and owner in racing.

10 Feb 2011 7:29 PM
Karen in Texas

Thank you for sharing the story of your colt! Your joy in owning him is obvious and touching. May Uncle Mo do well and remain healthy throughout the Triple Crown campaign!

10 Feb 2011 7:37 PM
Mackenzie

Mike, I can't thank you enough for wanting to share Mo with the fans. I really hope his three year old season is as successful as his two year old season, even more so, because it's about time we've had a horse with so much two year old potential carry through to the next year. I saw Mo's peppermint video on his blog and I really love this horse. I can't wait for him to race this season, and I'll be there for the Wood as I was for his maiden and Juvenille. Best of luck to you and Mo.

10 Feb 2011 7:39 PM
sherpa

First, thank you for doing this blog, Mike.  If only the PTB would understand, what the sport needs most to attract new and former fans is to promote its stars.  Too bad you're having to do it on your own for now, but maybe that will change soon.

Second, I want to know more about your Horse. We know he's fast, but I hear he's also a very laid-back and friendly fellow.  Could you talk about his personality and temperament, please?  From a distance, he always looks calm and in-charge.  Is that his norm?  Stuff like that!

10 Feb 2011 7:41 PM
Johnny

So now I am living that part of my dream world through you,TY Mike.

I am a big racing fan and one day I will be a owner and I cannot wait to feel the excitment of owning a horse..

I allready have the name of my first horse Larry Mo after my Father..

Best of luck

Johnny

10 Feb 2011 8:06 PM
Ann

Give me some MO!!

10 Feb 2011 8:17 PM
Alex'sBigFan

I forgot to add in my post above that Uncle Mo shares his birthday with my elite runner husband, on March 10th.  My husband was New York's 2001 Runner Of The Year and a member of the NY Road Runners, and Uncle Mo is in New York so I hope that brings Mo luck for HOY this year! Great runners, both equine and human must be born on March 10th!

10 Feb 2011 8:30 PM
Mike Relva

TED from LA

Your best suggestion to Repole was the one about Draynay. lol

10 Feb 2011 8:37 PM
Stoneleigh Farm

Thank you Mike for sharing your wonderful colt with us! I was lucky enough to meet Mo "in person" last fall at Belmont, he is a bright, cheery, intelligent guy. Standing in front of him in the barn, you just knew he was the real deal. Can't wait to cheer him on to a win the 1st Saturday in May!

10 Feb 2011 8:39 PM
DinkyDiva

Mr. Repole, you are a breathe of fresh air for us fans.  It seems that you took a few pages out of Moss' book.  :)

I wish you and Mo and all of your horses safety and success!

How is Mo's personality?  He looks like he's a character with a huge personality.  Again, Thank You!

10 Feb 2011 8:48 PM
Jason Shandler

I join everyone in thanking Mike for taking the time to write this entry. Mike informed me that he will do his best to respond to questions/comments in the next day or two, and will check back periodically.

10 Feb 2011 8:54 PM
Marian in Texas

Thank you for sharing with us your experiences with Mo. Knowing something about your relationship gives fans insight into your goals and Mo's talents and characteristics. That personalizes horse racing for us. I look forward to reading more about Mo's development and your thoughts about how he is training. Anything that you can add about his temperament and personality--his unique characteristics that set him apart from other racehorses you have known--will be appreciated. Thanks for sharing him with us.

10 Feb 2011 9:12 PM
Dee

Mike - Thanks for sharing Uncle Mo with us.  I have fallen in love with him, not only for his breathtaking wins, but his personality shines through in his videos.  His peppermint video sure made me smile today.

10 Feb 2011 9:39 PM
Paula Higgins

Mike, what a wonderful post! I enjoyed it very much. Loved the pictures. He is a handsome boy and we will be rooting for him all year. Would love to see an owner like yourself rewarded. An owner who values the fans, like Jerry and Ann Moss. Someone who really loves the sport and his horse.

Ted from LA, I am STILL laughing (see your post). OMG you are one of the funniest people on the planet.

10 Feb 2011 10:01 PM
trackjack

Thanks for the article, Mike.

I appreciate you sharing your passion as fan and owner with us.

I was at the BC, got to see Uncle Mo in the paddock, then raced to my seat to see his performance.  Watched your winner's circle words later.  Your passion coming through, sharing it with family and friends, makes it personal, something the fans can feel.

Just realized from Alex'sBigFan post that Mo's and my birthday are on the same day, March 10.  That day I'll be flying to Tampa to visit my son.  We had already planned on spending the 12th at TBD for the Derby.  We'll be there screaming Mo on.

I also will be at the Derby this year as guests of Churchill Downs for winning last year's roadtotheroses.com contest.  As a fan since 1968 this trip is a dream come true and I hope we can get Uncle Mo started on the Triple Crown Trail.

I pray that Uncle Mo stays healthy for you and wish you much success with him.  And thanks again for doing this blog and staying accessible to the fans.

GO MO GO!

10 Feb 2011 11:32 PM
Aluminaut

You certainly communicate your enthusiam. Glad you went with this Indian Charlie.

Cool that you get away with calling Todd P 30 times in a week, but you're bringing the cash to the business and we all thank you so much.

I have a 2 year old coming up.  Hope she can run a bit.  Thanks for the blog!!!!!!

10 Feb 2011 11:34 PM
Caso

Mike, Ur love for Mo and Thirsty is inspiring toall. stride for stride your doin great kid.. Prayers u guys go the distance. Safe trip always post to wire. ~C

10 Feb 2011 11:50 PM
heather

You inspire a lot of us to take the big leap from fans to owners.  Love what you've done for the sport. I love Mo's FB page also... and, I buy Pirate's Boot, not only because I love it but because I want to support one of the great owners in racing.

Go Mo!!

11 Feb 2011 12:17 AM
Draynay

I am very happy Mike that you took the time to fill us in on the great Uncle Mo.  Let me offer you a few words of wisdom. First, ignore everything from Ted from LA and Secondly listen to everything I say because I know it all ask anyone.  Uncle Mo is the end all be all and I will be there in Tampa to cheer him on in booth 74. Uncle Mo is as good a horse as I am good looking and that alone will take him through the Derby and Preakness.  As everyone knows I am almost always right when it comes to spotting talent and I stand by my statement that I have never seen a horse get so good so quickly.  2011 is going to be the year your horse dominates racing like no other 3 year old ever has.  I expect him to run the table all year and pick up HOY at the end.  Go Mo go !

11 Feb 2011 12:32 AM
Katherine

Mike I chuckle every time I hear/read your recollection of Mo's purchase. Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to write this blog and share your experience with us on this ride of a lifetime. I join with everyone else wishing Mo and your other horses safe trips and good health. I don't know of any owner of a Derby prospect sharing the experience of this trip in this way. This is special!!!!  :))

11 Feb 2011 1:26 AM
christy tate

thanks mike for the update on Mo.he looks like a nice horse. was really impressed by his B.C.Juvenile win. Good Luck on the way to the Derby.

11 Feb 2011 2:10 AM
Zen4Zen

Thanks so much for telling us more about Mo!  As another commenter suggested, it'd be terrific to learn more, in your future blog entries, about his likes and dislikes, habits, quirks, etc.  Is he, for example, as laid back and unruffled as Zenyatta got to be around people or more high-strung, as colts usually are?

Also, I'd love to know your thinking as of now as to whether, if all goes great with him this year, you're at least tentatively planning to race him as a 4-year old or even beyond that.

Thanks again for sharing!

11 Feb 2011 5:44 AM
Jonathan

Mike - Safe Trip to You and

MOmentum!!  What an Opportunity for Mike and his Big Horse, Uncle Mo, to affect everybody interested in The Sport of Kings. Your Team and Lady Luck will affect You, Your Family and Friends and Sporting Fans forever.

Best of Luck to All!

11 Feb 2011 6:00 AM
Karen in NYC

Thanks Mike for being YOU!  You are a genuine gift to the fans and a huge advocate for taking care of these magnificient creatures after they retire. Your generous donations to the retirement groups did not go unnoticed by me and the world. You are a true champion of the sport and I applaud YOU! We need many , many more of you out there to give back as you have done. As for MO...he is simply breathtaking ..dont push him, glad you are giving him time to mature without pushing him too much. I will be rooting for him all the way! May the racing Gods shine upon you and Mo and bless you both back with a win in the Derby. I am glad that you have ventured out to ownership. Kudos to you and Bless you for all that you do for these amazing athletes.

11 Feb 2011 6:31 AM
Pat in New Jersey

This is great, Mike.  What you and the Mosses have done through your Facebook pages is going to do so much for horseracing.  I look for Zenyatta and Mo's posts every day.  This could be the thing that finally connects a wider fan base.  Now - if you could only get more owners and trainers to do it!!!

11 Feb 2011 6:38 AM
Rachel

Mike, you've taken the most important page from the Penny Chenery "It's all about the fans and love for the HORSE" playbook!

You're a lot of fun to watch, thanks for sharing your nice colt.

Safe trips for all the atheletes.

11 Feb 2011 7:00 AM
Mike C

I bred Mo but you are showing the world that he is special. What you are doing for the fans is what the racing business has been lacking. You know I am cheering for you. Give him a mint from me.

11 Feb 2011 8:36 AM
RickS

Mike,

You said "March 2009" was the first time you saw Uncle Mo breeze, i'm hoping you meant March 2010...

All the best!!

11 Feb 2011 8:37 AM
HRFan4Life

Wonderfully written!  You have the ability to make the reader feel what you were feeling!  I love that you are truely a horseracing fan first.  The way that Horseracing brings multigenerations together needs to be promoted on a national level. (love how you brought your entire family to the track!) I always tell people a racehorse runs not for the $ or the endorsements or the fame, but for the actual love of running.  No other professional sport such as the NFL, NBA, PGA, etc. can claim that. They are full of ex-cons.  Horseracing is a true family sport. Is there any NTRA national marketing campaign planned for this year's prep and triple crown races?  I'm talking print, network commercials, social media???  I wish the NTRA would get its act together and promote itself! I'm rooting for Uncle Mo to be the next Triple Crown winner!  God knows horseracing needs one!

11 Feb 2011 9:26 AM
LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

Just absolutely love Uncle Mo!  He sure looks to ba quite a character.

Lots of luck to Uncle Mo!

Love & Blessings to him also

11 Feb 2011 9:29 AM
Trebloc

I cannot wait to see Brethren and Uncle Mo hit the stretch in the Derby.  When and where can we find Uncle Mo gear?

11 Feb 2011 9:40 AM
2:24

It's been said a bunch of times but horse racing needs more owners like Mike Repole.  I loved his post-juvenile winner's circle interview and I think it is amazing that he is writing these blogs.  Good luck Mike and to Uncle Mo.  Hopefully we'll see you in Tampa for the Tampa Bay Derby in March.

11 Feb 2011 9:42 AM
austinbnike

It's about time for a TC winner!!! It's been 33 years since Affirmed won the TC and we've had several horses come close taking 2 of 3. There are also a lot of people saying he won't win at 10f, but how many horses have we seen with sprinter/miler type pedigrees win the Classics? Let's just hope Mo's genes express a lot of Arch's bloodlines. Good Luck, Mo!!!

11 Feb 2011 9:57 AM
Giddyup

"My only goal is to make Uncle Mo as accommodating and accessible as possible to the fans."

With so many owners of quality horses quickly retiring those horses after the 3 year old campaign, I think you can understand why some of us fans are a bit skeptical when hearing that remark. Best of luck with Uncle Mo.

11 Feb 2011 9:59 AM
Frankie Conditions

Pay attention people ! Yes "Mo" has it and he may be one of the several/many "SPECIAL" horses  racing has seen. You better treasure Mike Repole though as he may break the mold. He's no born with a silver spoon in his mouth owner. Don't mistake or misread his candor and N.Y. heritage with some of the "sterotypical" things associated with both.

This is a self made, hard working man with deep family roots. He is the "real deal" and someone the industry should listen to and quite frankly folllow. He knows racing is about the fans and doens't subsrcibe to "top down" economics. He knows attendance, handle, interest level and marketing are what make a brand and possibly an industry strong.

As a complete stranger to Mr.Repole, and with nothing to personally gain, he has touched my families life. He knows giving comes before getting and he remembers his "roots" . Mike Repole, there may never be another one like you and I hope you have many "Mo's" and much success. You're a Triple Crown and Hall of Fame person in the toughest game of all... life !

11 Feb 2011 10:16 AM
Billy's Empire

Here we go MO, Here we go Mo, so what's the what's the what's the scenario?   A little Tribe Called Quest in the morning!

Maybe I should reference 50 cent instead, "I love Mo like a fat kid loves cake, you know my style, I'll say anything to make you smile"

Thanks for the update Mike Repole. I wish Mo the best of luck this year and hope he can do what his daddy could not, win the roses. You are doing great things for the sport.

Last, do we have the same stylist? I wore a navy pinstripe suit, light blue shirt, and orange tie last Derby, but I am sure yours cost a few thousand more... Good Luck!

11 Feb 2011 10:58 AM
Dawn

Mike, when will you come out with some Uncle Mo tee shirts for sale that we can buy to help support him?? Maybe to donate to charity for retired racehorses??? Would like to buy one to support your boy!! thank you for a wonderful blog!! I love your involvement!! It is very refreshing!

11 Feb 2011 11:09 AM
Tiznowbaby

Now that was a fun read.

Mike, thank you for sharing.

Could you expand on your comment that you'd had not luck with Indian Charlie get prior to Mo?

Wishing you continued success -- and fun.

11 Feb 2011 11:18 AM
Stephanie

I was so blessed to have seen Mo run at the BC, I drove 20 hours each way LOL this year I am hoping to only have to drive 6 ...to Belmont......to see him :) stay safe Mo, I will see you there :)

11 Feb 2011 11:21 AM
Smarie

Thank you Mike, for opening up like this about what you're feeling what you experience while owning a sensational horse like Uncle Mo. You join a very wonderful club of owners who love to share their special horse with the fans; Penny Chenery with Secretariat, and of course, Team Zenyatta.

I am glad that you turned down offers for Uncle Mo and are keeping him to race. How often does one get a horse like this?

Mo is simply awesome! I had been reading about him but hadn't seen him race until the Breeder's Cup Juvenile. Right then and there, I decided that he was my 2011 Derby horse and I can't wait until he is back in the starting gate.

I pray that he will stay safe and sound and that you and yours will continue to thrill to his accomplishments.

Thank you once again for sharing him with us fans as you are doing.

11 Feb 2011 12:06 PM
Oldie

How fun, huh?  What a great ride you are permitting us to enjoy with you!

Would you be willing to share with us what characteristics, both conformation and personality, Jim and Jimmy saw in Mo at Keeneland that made them insist you into buying him?  I'm always curious to know how each person makes a selection at a sale.

Thanks!

11 Feb 2011 12:15 PM
Donna Melendz from Grayslake, IL

Hi Mike,

I was at the Breeder's Cup and watched Uncle Mo(who I bet on) blow away the other contenders!  I was so awestruck by his huge bounding strides;  I cannot recall seeing a horse with such a distinct , impressive stride like that! He's a Monster!!  The cold day, the sun, seeing him head for home will be in my memories forever.  I will be rooting for him in the Derby!  PS I loved your speech at the awards,  you cracked me up a few times, it was one of the highlights of the night! Best of luck in 2011!

11 Feb 2011 1:39 PM
GJU

Thank you, Mike for giving your time to do the blog and talk about Mo and what it's like to have a Kentucky Derby favorite. I'm looking forward to following Mo again this year. I'll be watching Mo's races on HRTV or TVG. I follow Mo on Facebook and love the bits and pieces that are put up on his page. That video of Mo standing in his stall, calm and quiet and then suddenly jumping up and down and you're wondering, "What is this guy doing?", until you see the feed bucket come into view. Fun to get to see stuff like that. I also thought Mo looked great in a tux!  Keep up the good work. Best of luck from a west coast horse racing fan!!!

11 Feb 2011 2:22 PM
Zookeeper

Mike, What fun it was to read your blog! Your enthusiasm comes through loud and clear! and it is very contagious. Can't wait to see Uncle Mo race again!!! Best of luck to you and your beautiful colt.

11 Feb 2011 2:24 PM
arlingtonfan

Hi, Mike. Over the past months, I've been so pleased to read about your genuine concern not only for Mo but also for racehorses' welfare and the fans. The racing world needs more people like you! I am a Mo fan and will be rooting for him as he makes his way along the Derby trail. Here's wishing both of you all the best.

11 Feb 2011 2:42 PM
winpower

Nice story Mike.Picked MO for the derby after seeing his 2nd race and then when he won the breeders I said ok he is going all the way for the next triple crown.Big order but big horse.Best of luck.

11 Feb 2011 3:31 PM
susie q

Thank you for giving us your time. There is so little in horse racing for the fan who isn't interested in betting but still loves the sport. That is why Zenyatta was so popular, she was more than a wager. She was a captivating story. Thanks to you we can enjoy the story of Uncle Mo.

11 Feb 2011 3:54 PM
Mike Repole

I appreciate the kind words from all the great racing fans that not only are rooting for Mo but are also rooting for me. I am truly overwhlemed and humbled. Thank you.

Sherpa: Mo has always been a beast and a monster on the racetrack but in his stall he is a big puppy dog. He lays in the back of his stall and when I call him he gets up and comes over, whether I have peppermints, carrots, or an empty hand. I look forward to sharing more personality traits about him in future blogs.

Zen4Zen: My number one concern with all my horses, whether they are $10k claimers or grade I winner like Mo, is their safety. I've retired 2YOs that have never raced and 13YOs like Cool N Collective that were perfectly sound. If it were up to me and not my racing entourage, I would geld Mo and run him until he is 10. For now, I'l just keep taking it one day, one breeze, and one race at a time.

Dawn: There does seem to be a high demand for Mo merchandise. We're in the process of designing Mo hats and T-shirts and within the next couple weeks there will be an Unclemo.com where you can visit and possibly buy merchandise. There will definately be a charity component to any merchandise sold. When the website is ready Mo will make an announcement on his Facebook page. He's busy working on it right now; he's kind of a perfectionist.

Tiznowbaby: I bought an Indian Charlie yearling the year before Mo for $200k and he couldnt win a $25k claimer. His name was Arrr Pirates Booty and we donated him to Turning For Home horse rescue. But after Mo broke his maiden, I bought two more yearlings by Indian Charlie, both for over $200k.

Oldie: Jim and Jimmy do a great job for me at the sales and work very hard. They work tireless hours sometimes. But they also like to go out late sometimes and enjoy themselves. The day they found Mo I think they were a bit hungover and many of the yearlings looked bigger than they actually were. Mo looked like double the size to them after a night out on the town. That's the story they told me.

Take care everyone. Talk to you soon.

11 Feb 2011 4:00 PM
Susie

Thank you, Mike!  You need to clone yourself as an owner (along with the Mosses).  We need owners like you to promote the sport and to attract and keep fans.  Great job!

11 Feb 2011 4:17 PM
Will

All the best to you and Uncle Mo.  And isn't he one of the luckiest horses in the world!

11 Feb 2011 4:26 PM
CHoffman

Just had an argument with someone who said it wasn't the owners' duty to promote their horses.  Well, if they want to continue racing they do.  Mike Repole is showing that it doesn't take much to do so.  Uncle Mo is popular on Facebook.  Repole takes time to make sure that Uncle Mo has fans, not just bettors.  Repole gives us a reason to go to the track.  Repole is giving us the chance to see a potential hero.  People like heroes.  Maybe it's because Repole is a fan before he's an owner?  Most owners like having the bragging rights of owning a racehorse, but put out an ad campaign or share their horse in even most minor way with the rest of the world?  They are too busy to deal with that silliness. Small owners cry poverty at the thought of promoting their horse.  You won't have any horses to race if you don't promote.  And when I talk "promote," I'm talking about getting away from the horse mags and getting out there to people who don't know which end of the horse faces the finish line.  People who have never seen a horse race.  Last week someone told me they didn't know Southern California HAD horse racing.  Owners, trainers, jockeys, backstretch folk, etc. had better start promoting their horses and the horse's personality....or kiss their jobs goodbye.

11 Feb 2011 4:46 PM
ruffianruns

Thanks Mike!  I love your enthusiasm, your joy, and your attitude.  Enjoy the ride, as I'm sure you will.  All the best to Uncle Mo!

11 Feb 2011 4:46 PM
skyfire

You are a wonderful model for owners, Mike.  I wish lots of success for you, and a long, successful career for Uncle Mo!

You are a great representative of horse racing!

11 Feb 2011 8:32 PM
skyfire

Thanks for actually personally participating on this blog

You are definitely front runner for Owner of the Year!  You are easy to root for!

What is Mo like in his stall == is he tough or easy going, does he like attention or want his own space?  Thanks for your time.

11 Feb 2011 8:47 PM
ilwacocapper

dray your right 1 in 1000 times

11 Feb 2011 9:10 PM
Dani

Mike, you are one helluva funny guy. You know, I've seen Todd Pletcher smile stoicly, even chuckle, a couple of times, but I have never seen him grin from ear to ear and actually laugh out loud, IN PUBLIC, until you gave your acceptance speech at the Eclipse Awards. Then, he even goes up on stage for his own award and lets the audience see that great dry wit we have all secretly heard about but have never been privy to. I've watched him receive that award every time and I'm sure he has never cracked a smile in the 2 minute acceptance speeches he use to give. I'm a big fan of his and I'm glad  you've got his number for us. It's a thing of beauty I'm telling you.

So Uncle Mo. Well I am on the bandwagon as is everyone else here. I just hope and pray he stays sound and healthy through-out his 3 year old campaign. So many promising horses end up retired due to injury even before they hit Kentucky Derby time. Mo has the best chance at one of the most memorable years we've seen in a long time, so fingers are crossed.

As for you, you are doing a marvelous thing - bringing fans into the world of Uncle Mo. Horses are not one dimensional creatures and while the most grizzled handicapper with his nose buried in the DRF may not care whether Mo snacks on Pirate's Booty or not (does he?), the rest of us do. And seeing him outside his stall and not just on the walk over to the track but grazing and getting photos taken and learning the ABCs of him is what is going to endear us even more to him. We already love him because he is a super star on the track but showing us those other dimensions will bring us closer to him and will also lure in new fans, as you are well aware. And as you yourself have said, that is what this sport needs. So kudos to you for being a racing fan first and foremost, and also for letting us come along for the ride with you and Uncle Mo. It promises to be a great one.

11 Feb 2011 9:17 PM
Bigtex

Mike, thank you for passion and care for your horses.  Anticipating this season reminds me of 1973.  HAVING SAID THAT, I think back to the promise and potential of Secretariat in the Wood, prior to the Derby.

My prayer is for health and safety for Uncle Mo.  Should the unexpected happen and a Wood-type race occur, keep the faith and find the blessing in it and then run the TC table!

AT THE END OF THE DAY, Uncle Mo is the standard bearer!  He's the cream that will rise to the top.....as if he hasn't already!

Godspeed to you, Uncle Mo, and all the horses in your care.

11 Feb 2011 9:45 PM
Bob

Mike,

Once again, you prove that 90% of horse owners are qualified to do one thing, write checks....best of luck to the horse.

12 Feb 2011 2:01 AM
Slew

Mo is a terrific colt, and I love the way you are reaching out to the fans.  We need more owners with your attitude, and I want to wish you the greatest success.  Take care of Uncle Mo!

12 Feb 2011 7:29 AM
sodapopkid

Ted from LA,  You never cease to amaze me.  I agree with offering Draynay and his 'dreaded' curse $$ to get off UMo's back at once.  He has done nothing to deserve the infamous 'draynay curse' poor thing,  he is surely doomed now.

Ted from LA,  I think you need to talk in third person again,  You are a hoot. Jason needs to let you do a guest blog the next time he goes on one of his numerous vacations.   I would like to have Jason's job, he gets plenty of vacation time.....

12 Feb 2011 7:35 AM
Racingfan

Thank you for taking the time to share your horse with us!  People like me who are just fans but cannot actually be involved with this wonderful sport, really appreciate "inside information" as it makes us feel like we are involved in some small way! As is well known, racing needs all the promotion and attention it can get and as we all saw with Zenyatta - the exposure WORKS! Also, please don't retire him at the end of the year if all is well with him.  That is a major problem these days and would be the ultimate let down!  Best of luck to you! I'll have my fingers crossed for a safe journey and a triple crown!

12 Feb 2011 8:25 AM
Linda in Texas

Mr. Mike, i knew you were a winner and owned a winner the first time Uncle Mo raced, pretty sure it was right after HRTV interviewed you, your mama was in the box with you to celebrate his big win.

Such a refreshing personality. So open and honest, it shines through

and your positive outlook is inspiring to say the least.

Uncle Mo is another once in a lifetime horse. Funny how the one you least expect to excel does.

Thank you for your honesty and openness. Be safe all.

12 Feb 2011 11:48 AM
The Bid

Mike...You certainly are a breath of fresh air in a SPORT, that at times does not seem to get IT... Like You!!! I wish My MAIN man MO ALL the Best inc. breaking the old 30+yr. issue in the 3yr.old division!!! Just heard Ric James'"SuperFreak", and it made me think of Mo...MAN, the Potential your horse has is LIMITLESS, and MIKE....I'll just be as frank as I can...PLEASE, keep the accessibility to MO continuing...My youngest LOVED Smarty, I cannot wait 'till the 1st Saturday in May when He and THE ENTIRE WORLD falls in AWE of MO!! Thank You and GOD'S SPEED to Uncle MO!!!

12 Feb 2011 1:10 PM
Bailey

Go Mo! Our next tripple crowner, woot!

12 Feb 2011 1:28 PM
Ted from LA

Boys of Tosconova (spelling?) off Derby trail.  Ted from LA reporting.

12 Feb 2011 4:15 PM
Mike Relva

Can see Beamer winning today.

12 Feb 2011 4:58 PM
Ranagulzion

Uncle Mo, Mike Repole, Todd Pletcher & Johnny V are an awesome team. These guys are putting the joy back into the sport.  There are some other good teams out there but this group have the momentum right now. Go Uncle Mo!

Head nor shoulder

knee nor toe

nothing stoping Uncle Mo.

12 Feb 2011 5:07 PM
Ted from LA

Ted from LA is reporting that Brethren is the real deal.

12 Feb 2011 5:09 PM
Ted from LA

Tapizar is not a Derby horse.  He needs to learn to relax.  Where is everyone?  Ted from LA feels like he is talking to himself.  Paula?  Dray?  Dr. D?  sodapopkid?  Single in LA?  Jean in Chicago?

12 Feb 2011 6:14 PM
2:24

Just got back from Tampa Bay Downs.  Boy does Brethren look the part.  Won easily with plenty in reserve.

12 Feb 2011 6:43 PM
Hoofbeats

Love your blog, love uncle mo. His face book page is most entertaining. I have watched the video of Mo getting feed over and over and I laugh every time. What a character.

12 Feb 2011 7:00 PM
merlinmerry

Very impressed with how agile Comma ToO The Top is.  He backpedals so beautifully.

12 Feb 2011 7:36 PM
Footlick

one bad race out of his last 6 isn't that bad.

12 Feb 2011 8:26 PM
LAZMANNICK

Footlick

He's a loveable horse, but his breeding caught up to him. I don’t think he’s a Derby horse, especially since he runs his best on the lead and there is no way he’ll ever carry his speed all the way in the Derby. He also backed away from the Lewis for no particular reason other than they didn’t want to get into a front end battle with Tapizar. There is also the possibility that they wanted to stay on synthetics as long as possible. He’s been on synthetics all his career and didn’t even train on dirt when still a possibility for the Lewis.

12 Feb 2011 9:15 PM
sodapopkid

Ted from LA, I agree with you about Tapizar.   He was really wound up today.  I hope they can get his kinks worked out soon or he will never make it to the derby.

Ted from LA, Keep on reporting,  In the end, we may give you more of Jason's assignments and let you do his blog hosting, Its about time for another of his vacations.

I believe Jason get about ten of those darn vacations a year. the lucky stiff.....lol

12 Feb 2011 9:24 PM
Ranagulzion

I wouldn't abandon Tapizar.  He was not relaxed and didn't run his race today. I fancy him to rebound if he comes out of the race healthy.

Anthony's Cross is definitely an improving colt and adding to the noise being made by his sire Indian Charlie this season.

Comma to The Top had no excuse.  He does not appear to be a Kentucky Derby horse. If the El Camino Real winner Silver Edition takes to dirt he should not be ignored.

Brethren was quite impressive in his pipe opener.  He looked in a completely different league from the rest of the Sam Davis field and definitely belongs in the top half of every Derby Dozen.  My Floridian upsetter Reprized Halo floundered badly but there's still time for him to return and pull a "shock n' awe".

12 Feb 2011 9:55 PM
Trebloc

Great day in Tampa !!  Brethren looked awesome!  Looking forward to the Derby.

12 Feb 2011 10:23 PM
Draynay

I hope this ends all the Tapizar NONSENSE.  Please avoid talking about anything in California until after the Triple Crown.  Had a great day at Tampa.  Thank you Ramon.

12 Feb 2011 10:26 PM
Ted from LA

Thanks sodapopkid.  I am actually trying to take over Jason's job.  He doesn't know it yet, but I am positioning myself with each post.

12 Feb 2011 11:33 PM
stevebiscuit

Looks like the Derby contenders are falling apart. Uncle Mo will likely go off as the heavy Derby favorite considering how inconsistent this crop seems to be. He'd better watch out though. Facing horses your own age is nothing like facing the best in the west...and the nation: Twirling Candy!

12 Feb 2011 11:38 PM
sherpa

o/t

sodapopkid - your namesake is running tomorrow @Parx, Race 9 (AOC)

12 Feb 2011 11:49 PM
Footlick

Laz- I never thought him a Derby horse.  But would rather have a horse who won 5 of his last 6 and knows how to win.  Not sure Tapizar was the reason for not being in the Lewis.  They made the statement  way before the Lewis that they were thinking of GG because they wanted to keep him on synthetic.  My comment was meant to say he was due to have a bad race after 5 good ones, not that he was a Derby contender.  He never was for me.  Just a nice consistent animal who hopefully will win his connections alot of money.

12 Feb 2011 11:53 PM
GunBow

Thanks Mike for sharing Uncle Mo.  Good luck.  If he's goes on to win the Derby and then the Triple Crown, he will be one of the all-time greats.

13 Feb 2011 12:51 AM
GunBow

Those kicking noises are the sounds being made by all the owners and trainers out in Cali who ducked Tapizar in the Bob Lewis and Comma to the Top in the El Camino kicking themselves for not stepping up to the plate.  Had they been bold, they very easily could be sitting with $100k or more of graded earnings.  As it is, there are alot of very talented 3 year olds in California desperate for graded earnings but with few opportunites until the Santa Anita Derby.  There is the 7furlong San Vicente next Sunday and then the 8.5 furlong San Felipe March 12th, and then it's Santa Anita Derby time.

As for the Sam Davis, Brethren did what he needed and looked good, but there appeared to be very little behind him.  He stalked an overmatched frontrunner behind slow fractions, opened up through moderate middle fractions, and then won off by himself even though the final splits were not fast.  Yes, Tampa is a slow surface, so it's possible the time isn't that bad, but with no other two turn dirt races to compare, the Beyer is going to be somewhat subjective.

13 Feb 2011 1:08 AM
Mike Relva

RANAGULZION

If you really are that sure about Uncle Mo take me up on my bet. You know by now I'll step up to the plate.

13 Feb 2011 2:01 AM
Draynay

Beamer winning today? Mike, you can't handicap yourself out of a wet paper bag.

13 Feb 2011 4:02 AM
Trebloc

I may start looking for Brethren gear!!  Ha!

13 Feb 2011 8:56 AM
Slew

Ted: per 11:33pm post...At least YOU have a sense of humor....much needed on Jason's blogs. .....;-P

13 Feb 2011 10:09 AM
Mike Relva

DRAYNAY

Ok,was wrong. You might be the same,in a couple months from now.

13 Feb 2011 10:54 AM
Footlick

As far as Tapizar, the race was run Feb 12th.  Mr Asmussen has some time to figure out what went wrong.  To write a horse off because of a race in February is a little foolish.  I don't want to talk about other horses on Mr Repole's blog, but the other two of Jason's seem to be concentrating on something other than horse racing.  My apologies Mr Repole.

13 Feb 2011 11:30 AM
Ted from LA

Runflatout did so yesterday in his work.  Talk about your Derby contenders.

13 Feb 2011 11:39 AM
Linda in Texas

Draynay, if we have to put up with your nayness til after The Triple Crown, then you have to put up with anything California til after The Triple Crown. Yesterday as i watched the races from Santa Anita, i noticed they are still on the map with some great prospects.

Take your blinders off, look around, take it all in, and get out of your funk of single mindedness. And give some credit to all horses and trainers and owners, you are doing a dis service to Mike Repole and his track warrior Uncle Mo and i do admire both and have posted that.

Most people just ignore your negativity and consider the sour'ce! Just gets old so early in the year day in and day out no matter which blog you post on.

Last year I was with you on Quality Road. Liked him, was really hoping for the best in him. But not to the exclusion of all the other super prospects in the running.

You post, "this should end the Tapizar NONSENSE." No one told that to us when we were rooting for Quality Road, now did they??

A golden ring could be within your grasp, and you would still be hanging on to the splintered stick.

Be safe.

13 Feb 2011 12:00 PM
Coldfacts

Ranagulzion,

“These guys are putting the joy back into the sport.”

I am not sure if you are not allowing your emotions to influence statements like the one above. In what way have these three gentlemen done more for the restoration of joy to thoroughbred racing than others?  What has been restoring joy to thoroughbred racing, is simply exceptional thoroughbreds with story lines. Have you forgotten the story of the group that owned the gutsy gelding who won the Derby and Preakness? They travelled are around in a yellow school and were cheered along by all and sundry. There was Smarty Jones ailing owner who followed him around with an oxygen tank. Smarty went on to lift a $5M bonus for his effort. There a many other stories and for you to put Team Pletcher at the top in this department is simply wrong and cannot be justified.

13 Feb 2011 12:20 PM
Coldfacts

I love all thing equine and try to view each thoroughbred though equal lens. I am having serious difficulties understanding the attention given to a thoroughbred whose achievements have not superseded those of his predecessor with comparable records. Uncle Mo has only won three races. There were no track record or world records that would set him apart from the great 2YOs of the past.

I am all for celebrating great achievements using whatever modern social networking option available but the prematurity of the Uncle Mo phenomena is amazing. Is he the equine version to Usain Bolt? No! Mr. Bolt was elevated to superstardom status after he destroyed the Olympic 100M WR slowing down in the last 10 meters. He returned two days later and while racing the clock in a strong headwind broke the 200M WR. He was not the first to win the 100M & 200M at Olympics but he was the only do so while setting two NWR. This achievement set him apart from those who previously achieved the double. Mr. Bolt earned his face book page with an unprecedented performance.

Can anyone associated with the Uncle Mo phenomena truly state that he has met the burden of superstardom befitting paranoia and a face book page?

13 Feb 2011 12:25 PM
Coldfacts

Ranagulzion,

“Brethren was quite impressive in his pipe opener”

I am in total agreement with the above. However, one think that has puzzled me about this talented colt is the infrequency of his starts. I got a glimpse of why yesterday. He appears to have issue in his hind area. I do not qualify as a vet consequently I expect to take a lot of incoming fire for this statement. I hope my observation are incorrect as those types of issues are bad and a long term racing career is remote.

13 Feb 2011 12:44 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

To save time all I do is come here and look for Ted from LA reports to get the latest racing news and inside information. Gotta run. Finished the first assignment. It will all come out in my book next year or the year after. Now Ted wants me to track down all of the Derby horses from last year. Nobody seems to know where hardly any of them are. The last assignment was easy, this one could take awhile. Thanks Mike Repole. Very nice of you. Best of luck. Looking forward to more insight into this phenominal ride with a tremendous horse.

13 Feb 2011 1:16 PM
LAZMANNICK

I think that Brethren’s 83 Beyer yesterday is meaningless.  In spite of the less than stellar competition, Brethren looked very legitimate in the way he ran his race and don’t forget he easily disposed of the Count Fleet winner Monzon.  He was very professional in that he broke a little slow, was moved up quickly to a good position then let the jock settle him in, took his time down the backstretch and into the turn then made a good move to take the lead and won covered up. Definitely Derby material and a horse that is gaining confidence.

Tapizar was definitely too wound up. He fought Gomez all the way into the back stretch and wouldn’t settle down. This type of running and fighting against restraints looses too much energy and when they turned into the stretch Tapizar had nothing left.  There was no reason to go 6F in 1.09.4 in a 9F race. This is not the same track that it was in his last when speed held up no matter how fast the leaders went in two turn races.  I wouldn’t give up on him yet though.  I also question Asmussen’s training tactics with him.  Tapizar wins the Sham on Jan 15 in 1.40.1 for a 1 1/16M race, leading all the way and getting 6F in 1.08.4. The last thing I would want is for him to maintain that edge, especially since the Lewis is at 9F and the Santa Anita track is definitely playing much kinder to closers. So what do they do? On Jan 31 he works 5F in 1.00.1. My question is why? In fact, why not work on endurance instead of speed and get a slower 7F or even a mile work into him then come back a reasonable 4F or 5F work blow out.  His current running style won’t even make the board in this Derby.  He has to rate and relax.

Asmussen still might have a Derby horse in Silver Medallion the horse that won the El Camino.  He came from fourth place and won nicely, pulling away and getting a 93 Beyer for his troubles.  He might be better on turf though since he does well on synthetics and broke his maiden on the turf at Saratoga.

13 Feb 2011 1:27 PM
LAZMANNICK

Draynay

Glad to see you got your three Dominguez winners.  What were they……an average of less than 2-1?  Did you see the tall good looking guy cashing tickets after the Stormin’ on Home and Isabelle’s Thunder races?  I thought I saw you in the line with me but then I thought, NAW.  No chalk cashers in this line.

13 Feb 2011 1:38 PM
Matthew W

Best horse won yesterday at Golden Gate, I think both Silver Medallion and 3rd place finisher are the real deal, and that race was a lot tougher than it looked--tougher than the Lewis, where the best horse did not win--Tapizar needs the lead, and you might as well sit chilly and hope for the best--He's (still) the second best three year old I have seen this season, NOT the kind of horse I'd want to win the Derby--He's the kind of three year old that could win the Met Mile on the lead by five, he's that kinda good--very unlikely he'll win the Derby on a long, loose lead! Time for another jock? YES! Talamo/on lead/sittin chilly/hope for the best/seeya! THAT is the only way to ride him, he's a stone cold need the lead/has to go--type....

13 Feb 2011 3:07 PM
Matthew W

By the way, best weekend weather EVER at Santa Anita--blue skys all around...gotta take that coat off before 1st race....don't put it back on till the 10th race...amazing jock colony right now--best I have seen out here and I have seen some good ones--headed by Joel Rosario, whom I think is the best jockey on the planet, he doesn't lose horse/he GAINS horse throught the race--if he gets into the "Chris McCarron Position", that is, third, stalking leaders around outside--the race is over for first--reminds me of Pincay in his dominance--and that's vs Gomez, Bejarano, Talamo (unbelievable front-running jock), Nakatani, and a guy named Patrick--Joel Rosario is the best now/if not ever--I think he's that good....

13 Feb 2011 3:15 PM
Matthew W

Here's how I did yesterday: I bet/lost on Talamo five times/watched him bring home a couple of longshots that I DIDN'T have---played two races at Los Al, the 7th and 10th, both to win--had the 7th at 10-1 and lost by nose in 10th, and re-couped all of my losses on Joey T....ya never know in this sport, things can change on a dime--Tapizar ain't gonna rate--it's not gonna happen--if they go in Derby there will be a fast pace! I harken back to 1986, when Snow Chief looked unbeatable, and they flew early--he stalked and was fried--Uncle Mo faces a similar task, this year--if Tapizar goes, he'll be stalking a fast pace--NOT the place I'd want to be with a horse by Indian Charlie--Tapizar IS the key horse--if he goes in the Derby, Uncle Mo will be a good bet-against, if he doesn't go, I love MoMo--big!

13 Feb 2011 3:25 PM
Matthew W

Kilograeme just gave me a nice win--thank you Pat V for going up for an early move and pressuring Belarano on the 2-5 fave...GoGo in the stretch, on a horse who was scratched yesterday for this--7-2 and thanks to Gomez for the ride--when ya haveta make up ground, it's GoGo or Rosario--the rest are far, far back....

13 Feb 2011 4:09 PM
2:24

I sometimes don't understand Beyer Speed Figures.  I have great respect for Andrew Beyer but I saw a horse dominate a decent field yesterday in Tampa on a notoriously deep and slow track and get a measly 83 Beyer.  I know what I saw with my one good eye and it was a great performance by a magnificent beast.

13 Feb 2011 6:18 PM
Ranagulzion

Coldfacts,

Why try to dampen the enthusiasm of the "Mo-jo party"?  I'm sure we can appreciate the present without being jealous for the past.  Yes the Sakatoga crew of Funnycide fame was great in their time, so too was Mrs Genter and Unbridled and so on, but let's enjoy this moment.  Uncle Mo is the current star of the 2011 3YO crop and lets face it, you have been trying to beat him since his auspicious debut.  I will be especially happy for Mike Repole as a young vibrant invester in the game, as well as for Johnny Velasquez if he wins his first Kentucky Derby after major last minute disappointments with Quality Road in 2009 and Eskendereya in 2010.  We are now in the age of youtube, facebook and twitter, hence the JOY will spread faster and wider than previously (so will the disappointment if 'MO' flops).  No problem if you are slow to be impressed with the speedy Uncle Mo, but the excitement about this colt is justified in my opinion.  The parallel you draw with the incredible Usain Bolt is interesting, psychologically speaking.  Just be patient my friend.

You came very close with Riveting Reason in the Robert Lewis. Thats a good example of sticking with your gut feeling about the quality of a horse. I predicted a huge performance by Anthony's Cross but didn't think it would be a winning one (either against CTTP or Tapizar)...a case of doubt loosing out.

Regarding your perception of Brethren's hind issues, what is it that you saw.  I looked carefully but observed only a shortening of his strides and raising of his tail in the last furlong (not extraordinary for a horse running strongly off a layoff).  Todd Pletcher has said that the race didn't appear to take much out of him, so please explain.

13 Feb 2011 6:23 PM
Draynay

Lazmanick, I was on fire yesterday. I needed Brethren for the win to finish off my 10 dollar pick 3 that paid over 1500!  Ramon was brilliant! The only races I didn't hit was the 4th and 5th. Compromise made me rich and I didn't look back. I put down a $100 double with Silver Reunion and Harlan Rush the 2 locks of the day and it paid 25 bucks!  From the track we went right over to Capital Grill and had the meal of a lifetime.  A great day and one I won't forget soon.

13 Feb 2011 6:35 PM
Jimmy

Mike, you are an incredible owner, and exactly what the sport of horse racing needs. Uncle Mo is one of the most impressive 2 year olds I have ever seen, and I am very hopeful that he can develop into the horse that we all think he can become. Horse racing needs a new star, and I hope to see a triple crown winner in my lifetime. I think Uncle Mo is that horse, and I will be pulling for Mo to not only win the Kentucky Derby, but become the first triple crown winner since the great Affirmed. I think you would be the perfect owner for a triple crown winner, and as a fan of the sport first and foremost, you would provide the platform for Uncle Mo to perform in top class competition and allow Mo to perform for us, the fans. Thanks for being such a great owner Mike!

13 Feb 2011 8:25 PM
draynay

Coldfacts, you just don't get it do you?  Uncle Mo wins a Maiden and jumps straight to back to back G1 wins and his finishing times are really fast.  Did you see his last work ?  This horse is a freak.  He will win every race this year and finish a perfect 8 for 8 winning the Triple Crown and Breeders Cup Classic.  Enjoy the ride.

13 Feb 2011 8:29 PM
LAZMANNICK

Draynay

That would be great wouldn't it, Uncle Mo cleaning up like that?  Personally, I think that if he ever did win the Belmont and be undefeated at the time, he would be retired the next day.  then reality......the possibility of him winning the TC is about a 5% chance at best.  He just doesn't have the foundation to do it.

13 Feb 2011 9:30 PM
Coldfacts

I am by no means trying to dampen the enthusiasm of the "Mo-jo party. The answer to the question that ended my post would be useful bring out the pint I am trying to make.

“Uncle Mo is the current star of the 2011 3YO crop”

He is not the star of the current 2011 crop 3YOs as he has not made a 3YO start. He was the star of the 2YOs. The star would possibly be Dialed In based on his Holy Bull effort. I would be happy for the success of anyone that invests in such a risky proposition as thoroughbred racing in spite of that person not having the status of a young vibrant investor. I am impressed with the speedy Uncle Mo. However, the bar for greatness seems to have been lowered to match his achievements and that is what I have a problem with.

Riveting Reason performance in the Bob Lewis was not surprising as the colt was given time to benefit and properly recover from his races. I hope his trainer will now depart from the ridiculous policy of starting him on average every 20 days.  The blinkers were removed as I was hoping and that helped him to settle. The selected rider cost him the race. The excessive use of the whip was not the strategy employed by the rider of the winner.

Brethren has a very wide back gate and looks like a horse with hock problems. I could be wrong so do not worry about it.

13 Feb 2011 9:39 PM
Ted from LA

Dray,

You and I are cyber friends.  I have no problem negotiating for Mike on this.  What will it take for you to back off and quit touting Uncle Mo?

13 Feb 2011 9:46 PM
Ted from LA

Coldfacts, The "pint" you are trying to make?  ... Ted from LA approves.

13 Feb 2011 10:11 PM
Coldfacts

Draynay,

Your prediction is stunning. I assume part this projected 8 race success includes the TC. No past TC winner had such little foundation. Big Brown was significantly better than the colts from his crop. He won his 2YO debut by12L. His second start was an off the turf allowance that he won in a fast time in hand. His next three starts were G1 FL Derby, Kentucky Derby and Preakness. He won the KD with only three starts. Mo will attempt to do with 5. I guess it is possible. There are some nice, colts around that have proven TC pedigree and with hid two prep plans there is no margin for error. He did beat a claimer in the Champagne and a stamina deficient BAT in the BCJ. He has not met the dream of the crop. The DNA of some horses change when they hit the gourds of Churchill Downs. If he is able to record a time of 2:02 plus for 10F he has a shot at the first leg. Anytime less will be no good. If the great Zenyatt could have broken the 2:02 barrier she would have remained undefeated. It is not easy on a track that is known for devouring stamina deficient horses.

“This horse is a freak”

I would not consider a horse that has not run faster than previous champions a freak. Kindly revisit my post containing information on the track athlete Usain Bolt and you will get an idea of when the term freak is applicable. He has been called a Freak Of Nature and said to be 20 years ahead of his time.

Uncle Mo has not done anything that has not been achieve before and that does not equate FREAK.

13 Feb 2011 10:14 PM
Ranagulzion

Coldfacts,

You are the only one who doesn't know that Mo is the star of 2011. His stardom is a carryover (you should be acquainted with the concept) LOL.  As always I appreciate the interaction my Brethren. I'm learning a thing or two from you professor:)

13 Feb 2011 10:28 PM
Footlick

Sadly, foundation is so valuable when trying to get a horse to win three races in 5 weeks at 10F, 9.5F, and 12F.  It would be brilliant for racing if Uncle Mo could do that.  He will have to be something extremely special to overcome foundation and breeding that might not be ideal for the Belmont.  I just wish there could be a way that horses could get that foundation in the US just from mostly training.  Training in Europe, they simulate races and get much more conditioning from their gallops.  If they could do that here, I would not have such reservations of horses with so few starts.  I wish you all the best with Uncle Mo.  I hope he proves me wrong.

13 Feb 2011 11:08 PM
jayjay

Mike Repole : Which of UM's pedigree do you think will carry him to 10F ?

And who do you think is his top challenger at the moment ?  Who are you keeping an eye on ?

13 Feb 2011 11:42 PM
2:24

Coldfacts - I agree with your comments regarding tempering the comparisons to all time greats for now.  That said, I would love for Dray's 8 for 8 prediction to come true.

13 Feb 2011 11:47 PM
GunBow

I think Uncle Mo is without question the horse to beat among the 3 year olds and that he is deserving of an avalanche of accolades.  He has the excellent tactical speed so often possessed by the greats; physically, as reflected in swift final times, large margins of victory and strong Beyers, Uncle Mo is an absolute dynamo.  But what makes him special is his mind, a mind that allows him to reserve his speed early and relax.  If he's mentally on his game, he can be placed anywhere, and it's his mind that will go hive a chance to overcome possible distance limitations in his pedigree.

So, Uncle Mo most certainly has the potential to be an all-time great, and in terms of accomplishments he has gotten off to a nice start with an Eclipse, a Breeder's Cup, and a 2nd gr.1.  Of course, he must now actually go out and win the Derby, then the Preakness, and finally the Belmont to truly deserve a place among the immortals.  Greatness is not determined in cyberspace, it's determined on the racetrack.  Until Uncle Mo goes out and actually runs this year, we're all just speculating.  Some will be proven correct, others not.  The fact is, no one knows with 100% certainty what will happen in the future.

My personal take is that as good as I think Uncle Mo is, those handing him the Derby, let alone the Triple Crown, are severely minimizing the difficulty of these feats.  There is a reason the Triple Crown hasn't been won in almost 40 years.

14 Feb 2011 2:13 AM
jayjay

I'm waiting for Mike's response to my question before I crown him the Derby winner.  I wish him good health, if he's really a freak, I'd be jumpin on his wagon faster than Draynay switches horses... and that's fast!  I would love to see a TC winner in my lifetime.  I'm not picking my final pick until the post positions have been drawn except for Jaycito who won't be affected by the post.  I'll probably dwindle it down to 10 horses just before the post position draws and then make my exotic bets picks after the post has been drawn.  Of course, one needs to watch the post parade for any tells :)

It seems to me the racing form handicappers already made their picks based on past performances and that's why they have already crowned UM as the Derby winner :)

14 Feb 2011 2:25 AM
churchillguy

Draynay-

I think since your such a great handicapper maybe this coming weekend lets see you put all your bets like those $100 DD's and those $10 pick 3's out on this blog BEFORE the races are run and lets find out what kind of real handicapper you are. It is very easy to tell people on here how you cashed all day long. I know a ton of guys just like you they are at EVERY race track in America and you know what they all look the same when you get there picks before the races and not after. I am challenging you right here right now I don't care what track you want to choose pick any one of them. List all your bets over the entire card whether it be 1 bet or 10. Let's see how you do. I mean I understand going into this it will be all short price horses (chalk) and thats more then fine I have no problem betting a short price horse as well if he looks the part, but I also am very careful when I see a blink on the board. Step up if you have what it takes. Any racetrack this coming Saturday or Sunday of your choosing. That will tell this blog everything we need to know... I know you will not do this, its WAY to easy to yell how good you are from the cheap seats isn't it??

14 Feb 2011 10:40 AM
Billy's Empire

Sadly, this is a blog about Uncle Mo, and some bloggers still want to come and make negative comments about the horse, trainer and connections. Give it a rest. There is a time and a place, and this is not it!

14 Feb 2011 11:06 AM
mike from brooklyn

Queens Mike, great to see a regular street guy from NY sitting with a potential TC winner. Around the game for 40 years and tired of the disingenuous phony blue bloods with their mega ego's.

If Mo gets the last 1/8th he's way too fast on the sheets/beyers to get beat. Hoping he stays sound and has resiliency, as none of his competitors look to be in the sam e area code(To Honor and Serve somewhat a threat.

Best, Best Mike to from Queens!

Mike from Brooklyn

14 Feb 2011 11:10 AM
Susan

Are you married?

14 Feb 2011 11:57 AM
Footlick

Billy- interesting comment considering this is a very mild blog and you had you fair share of condemning and making negative comments about a certain horse and connections.  The only blogs that didn't fall into that about both superstars who are now retired are Mr Haskin's because he wouldn't allow it and if it became too much trouble to flag the posts he closed the blogs.  Mr Repole should feel lucky that this blog hasn't even come close to what many of Jason's blogs have become. I see some questioning Uncle Mo's breeding and conditioning.  I have done that and I don't think I was out of line at all.  Most comments are positive and supportive.  There is the usual bickering between one blogger and many others, but that will be on every blog he posts.  Anyway, if I have stepped out of line in any way, I will readily apologize.

14 Feb 2011 2:12 PM
Billy's Empire

the difference is Jason did not write this blog. Mike Repole wrote it,  and responded to it personally, and now he has to go read all of these posts in the blog and see if he wants to respond to any that actually have a question for him.

14 Feb 2011 2:22 PM
jayjay

Billy :  I don't think Mike Repole is that naive to think that EVERYONE will like his horse.  It was his choice to write the blog, I'm pretty sure he understands that not EVERYONE will like the horse specially on THIS BLOG where you have Draynay touting the horse and posting outrageous comments.

Anyway, what negative comments are you talking about ?  I don't see any negative comments at all ??  Is it the questioning ??  Did you feel offended by the questions to Mike R ?  Did you feel it was inappropriate to question the owner of the #1 derby contender ?   I'm still trying to figure what questions you felt were "negative".

14 Feb 2011 3:56 PM
Footlick

Then I guess I'll blog somewhere else since I don't really have a question for him specifically.  thanks for pointing that out to me.

14 Feb 2011 4:04 PM
LAZMANNICK

Yeah Billy, so I guess Draynay's big day at Tampa had a lot to do with Uncle Mo.  Giv it up.  You aren't the blog moderator.

14 Feb 2011 4:28 PM
Ted from LA

Ted from LA is the blog moderator.

14 Feb 2011 5:09 PM
Draynay

Churchillguy, handicapping is best done at the track.  How the horse looks, the wind, and the condition of the track all play into how I bet.

At Tampa I noticed in sprints 1 to 5 post is at a disadvantage and the winners are coming from 6 to 12.  Will that change Saturday?  I will be more than happy to email you information and my picks on a couple of races at Tampa for Saturday.  I would post them on the blog but that would hurt thousands of players if everyone on this blog knew the winners in advance.  I charge big money for providing winners to bettors like you.  I didn't pay for my mansion with postage stamps if you know what I mean.  Soon my new site will be up and you can get the winner of the Kentucky Derby guaranteed for just 999.00.  Remember I am here to help but my gifts are not always free.

14 Feb 2011 5:18 PM
King Tut

Billy, Really? Who died and made you king? Get some mirrors.

14 Feb 2011 5:28 PM
Tom F V

Really, I don't think Mike or any other horse owner is naive enough to think this kind of back and forth doesn't go on all the time.

Whereas people are wishing him good luck and analyzing his horse, that doesn't mean there aren't people out here in racing land who are questioning whether Mo's success as a 2 year old will translate to his 3 year old season. Or aren't questioning if his breeding will allow him to get the distance, particularly in the Belmont.

You can also bet your bottom dollar that no one who nominated their horses are willing to hand it over to him and every one of them who makes it into the race will be trying to beat everyone else.

The fan access and promotion of the horse is great for racing, but it also helps the owner et al in the long run and in the big picture.

14 Feb 2011 5:31 PM
stevebiscuit

God forbid anyone question the owner of the great and powerful Uncle Mo, who after only 3 starts against moderate competition is being compared to Secretariat. Sorry that not everyone feels Mo is a lock in the Kentucky Derby or praises the great Todd Pletcher for his admirable Derby record of 1 for 28, with his only winner being a fluke at best.

I will say that I think Mike Repole is a class act. We definitely need more owners like him in our sport.

14 Feb 2011 5:44 PM
Sea The Stars

Very good owner. We need you fresh blood in the game. As for Mo....FRANKEL is actually was the BEST 2 year old on the planet, and now is the best 3 year old on the planet. This was a bold statement, considering there is PLUCK who will challenge Frankel in the 2000 Guineas. Those two to me are 1-2 with MO 3rd.  Great time of the year for Top class Racing, and Good luck to Mr.Repole, and hoping that MO, and all the 3yr old contenders stay healthy, and Sound. Cheers:)

14 Feb 2011 6:03 PM
Mike Relva

BILLY'S EMPIRE

You can't have it both ways!

14 Feb 2011 6:43 PM
LAZMANNICK

The wind blowing between someone's ears.  What's the saying, in one ear and out the other.

14 Feb 2011 9:47 PM
LAZMANNICK

Sea the Stars

I was actually waiting for this.  Frankel is better than Uncle Mo just like Harbinger was better than Sea the Stars.  I don't think so.  As far as Pluck, Soldat finished more than 10 lengths ahead of him when they met.  How good does that make Soldat?

14 Feb 2011 10:10 PM
tcc

Draynay 14 Feb 2011 5:18 PM

Have you ever been on a TV show? Maybe the Jay Leno's Tonight show, (Jaywalking Interviews)?

14 Feb 2011 10:45 PM
Slew

Sea The Stars: (hmmm...just love that horse). Since Frankel didn't come to the BC, we really don't know that, do we?  But I do like Frankel a lot, and was spellbound by Pluck.  Where will Theysken's Theory and Biondetti run?...They're among my favorites.

15 Feb 2011 8:08 AM
Coldfacts

Ranagulzion

“You are the only one who doesn't know that Mo is the star of 2011”

If the above statement is true then I must be exceptional. Whereas Uncle Mo’s 2010 graded earning can be carried forward for derby qualification purposes, his race record cannot. Without a 3YO record he would not get one eclipse award vote for any of the 3YO categories based on his 2YO achievements. Consequently, he cannot be considered as the star 3YO with no 3YO record. I hope that simplified the point I was trying to make.

“His stardom is a carryover (you should be acquainted with the concept) ”

If you were not aware there is no such concept in thoroughbred rankings. If that were the case Vindication would have been voted champion 3YO. He was the undefeated star 2YO star of his crop and never made a 3YO start. Your love for this Indian Charlie colt has left you void of rational thinking. Alas! I am here to help back to a more measured path. Take the help.

Ted from LA,

Many thanks for highlighting my spelling error. There were many in my last set of posts. I must have been tired. I will try to do better next time. The omission an ‘O’ can certainly change the meaning of a statement.

15 Feb 2011 8:43 AM

FYI- Sea the Stars-Zarkava colt born Friday

15 Feb 2011 9:20 AM
Ted from LA

The omission of an ‘O’ can certainly change the meaning of a statement.

Coldfacts 15 Feb 2011 8:43 AM

What woman on this blog would not agree with this statement?  trackjack, Ted from LA is waiting for your counsel on when to pull the trigger on selecting his stable for the Road to the Roses contest.

15 Feb 2011 12:04 PM
Lynn Boyd

Great Article! I have been a horse racing fan since my Grandmother used to take me to the track when I was around 10 yrs old, she tought me how to handy cap a horse, I fell in love with horses the very first time. It's always frustrated me that Horse Racing has dwindled to what it is today. I hope your blog and Mo's facebook can invite new fans to a magnificent sport. Maybe you could look into a new game for facebook or one of those wii's, like (cityville or farmville)that would make the Avater a racing stable owner or maybe a jockey. just a thought. Best of Luck in 2011!

15 Feb 2011 12:12 PM
LAZMANNICK

Footlick

Great news about the STS and Zarkava colt.  Hre's another thought........STS and Zenyatta.  Perhaps an opportunity to have two of the greatest finishers of turf ever.

15 Feb 2011 12:14 PM
LAZMANNICK

Just a word……I am certainly not trying to bash Uncle Mo when I state my concerns about him not having the proper foundation to survive a tough Triple Crown campaign.  He is certainly one classy horse and for sure I would just love to see him accomplish all these great things that some are predicting.  He is obviously a good natured character who is all business when he steps foot on the track, the type that people not even involved with racing can identify with.  But it goes beyond Mo.  It is owners like you that make us feel that we are part of the experience because you have a way of relating to the little guy and we are all pulling for you.  We saw this with Zenyatta’s connections when they actually shared her with the public and we are seeing it again.  Some might speak negatively about Mo, but in many cases this is more a retaliation against a certain blogger than the horse.  Good luck and I sincerely hope Uncle Mo can pull it off.

15 Feb 2011 12:30 PM
Draynay

Tcc, actually I have been on a tv show.  I did the Jenny Jones show about 12 or 14 years ago.  I have had win money on every Derby winner the last 10 years except Mine That Bird.  So why not share my brilliance at picking the Derby winner with the common man?  Knowing who will win like I do every year is valuable information so I believe 999.00 is a fair price for such top secret information and it's guaranteed.  The analysis I provide is worth much more but I feel it's important to give something back to my fans.  Autograph pictures will also be provided via Paypal at a discount for members only.

15 Feb 2011 1:26 PM
jayjay

Slew : I too like Biondetti a lot but it looks like they're keeping him overseas.  I saw someone blog (in the TCinsider blog) that he will not be pointed to the Derby but instead will be running in UK this summer.  I think he handled the dirt well at CD so I was looking for him as my sleeper on Derby Day.

I think Baffert heard me go "What?!?" when I read Jaycito was being pointed to the San Vicente at 7F, just read that they changed plans and put The Factor in the Vicente and pointed Jaycito to the Felipe at 8.5F which is how it should've been in the first place :)  Jaycito is working up a storm, I think he'll be cranked up, just hope he doesn't bolt again, or be ranked.

15 Feb 2011 2:04 PM
Jean in Chicago

Ted from LA is right.  Ted from LA is the blog moderator as long as he keeps speaking in the third person.  Oh, and unless he is otherwise occupied prechecking out the pints and sights in Des Moines for jayjay who may have to rearrange his schedule now that his girlfriend's chaparones are not allowing them to meet.

Jayjay:  sorry about your date, but it probably wouldn't have been very private.  I keep picturing the scene in the Godfather...Michael and Appollonia romanticly walking along the road...followed by 25 or 30 female family members...followed by 2 guys with machine guns.  Bernie's Boys (or maybe even Capone) might be a bit more protective than you think.

15 Feb 2011 2:04 PM
Draynay

Cal Nation in the Fountain on the 26th Jason ?

15 Feb 2011 2:15 PM
Jason Shandler

No Dray. Cal Nation wont be going to FOY, according to what Walden told me last week. Too soon.

15 Feb 2011 2:25 PM
Tiznowbaby

So Tapizar is done with a knee chip. Not too surprising, I guess.

15 Feb 2011 3:06 PM
jayjay

Jean in Chicago : Yeah, I think I'll postpone my trip to after July, maybe August.  It would've been nice to see the Derby, visit Churchill Downs for the first time and see my beloved Zenny all on the same weekend.  I just don't think it's worth it if I can't see her :)  Great reference on the Godfather though hehe.  Hope you're thawing nicely over there.

Draynay : What's the color of the sky in your world ? LOL.  TP already said Cal Nation will not be pointed to the Derby, he'll be taking his time on him, as he should.

15 Feb 2011 4:15 PM
Draynay

Damn.  They need to find Cal a good race before the Florida Derby.  There must be an allowance race they can find him at 1 1/8th 4 weeks before the FD. Yes?  Watch out Brethren.

15 Feb 2011 5:26 PM
Tom F V

The next couple of months are nervous time.

Whether a horse pans out or if some injury or bad luck befalls them.  It's hold your breath for 2 months. We're already seeing them drop off the trail.

Todd says Mo's latest work has him fitter and further ahead?  That's what, two starts max before the Derby?  Hope it works out.

I also hope there isn't any more bad weather at Oaklawn. Lots of racing and training days lost for those going that route.

15 Feb 2011 5:28 PM
Mike Relva

TIZNOWBABY

Glad you brought that up. This is EXACTLY what I've stated that certain individuals handing the Derby to Uncle Mo already after xmas when we already have BAT and Tapizar off the trail. Amusing.

15 Feb 2011 6:58 PM
Footlick

Considering how many high profile horses are now training on the SA training track or at Hollywood because of sore feet, I guess a chip isn't surprising, as Tiznowbaby said, although it could have been there for awhile.

15 Feb 2011 6:59 PM
Draynay

jayjay, Cal Nation wins his next race by 5 or more and they will find a spot for him in the Derby.  Owners don't pass the Derby if the horse proves he is good enough.  I hope they give him a shot in the Florida Derby.

15 Feb 2011 9:04 PM
Ted from LA

New Headline: High Fly Pensioned, Then Gelded

Ted from LA is confused and doesn't have enough time or interest to read the article.

However, that being said, at the end of the day, it would be like a headline stating, "Ted from LA Castrated:  Yet has great time on spring break in Miami."  Amirite?

15 Feb 2011 11:07 PM
Ranagulzion

Mike Relva,

Lets hope for a record low fall away this year.  You've got to be more positive about the health of these colts, unless of course you're scared of a healthy Uncle Mo entering the starting gate on the first Saturday in May.

Draynay,

Forget about Cal Nation.  Check Bowman's Causeway instead. Also, Todd Pletcher now has Queen'splatekitten in his barn.  This colt is an under-the-radar monster, only we don't know yet if he takes to dirt.  I wished for a scenario in which they would send him to the UK like they are doing with Pluck, to face down Frankel in the 2000 Guineas and Epsom Derby.  If somehow Todd Pletcher thinks that he is competitive in the Kentucky Derby, watch out.

16 Feb 2011 12:32 AM
Mike Relva

RANAGULZION

You must be the one that's scared since you won't take my bet. As for the health of horses,it's called being realistic,it happens every yr like with I Want Revenge,last yr. Esk. I don't stick my head in the sand and also pretend Pletcher is the end all. lol

16 Feb 2011 9:27 AM
jayjay

Draynay : I never said Cal Nation isn't good, my point is TP already said he'll take it slow on this horse and I really hope he does.  Just because one thinks a horse is good doesn't mean they have to race in the Derby but yes, of course the owners will take a shot.  I just hope they don't ruin the horse by pushing him to make the Derby.  We've seen that happens too many times in the past.  I wouldn't be surprised if you and another person argue that "that's what these animals are suppose to do".  Sometimes, you need to put the horse first, the race second.  A great trainer said that once...

I'm looking forward to Jaycito's first race this year, I'm looking for a good run, not necessarily win.  I'd like for him to peak around May :)

I'm still trying to figure out my top 10, there's just way too many I'm still waiting for to run this year.  I'm not too thrilled with the ones that has run so far.  I just think the Derby winner hasn't run yet this year.

Ted From LA : I'm quite sure the castration caused the confusion.  This confusion caused you to think it was "you" that doesn't have the time nor the interest but it's really your significant other... nm, I'm recently "confused" myself.

16 Feb 2011 11:26 AM
trackjack

Ted from LA,

Re: roadtotheroses.com

Tell Ted from LA to wait as long as possible and then pull the trigger on his stables before the first weekend of races on 2/26 and 2/27.

Zenyatta John has set up a league and has invited bloggers to join; team # 2251417165, code 2614340348.  trackjack will be joining that league. (Geez, now I'm blogging in the third person.)

Ranagulzion,

I agree with your comments on Queen'splatekitten.  If anyone has further info on where TP will be sending him, please post.

16 Feb 2011 12:03 PM
Jason Shandler

As you guys know, I was a fan of Queen'splatekitten when he broke his maiden. The horse was sold privately to Mill House before his allowance win and moved to Pletcher. The two most likley options for him are to remain on turf and run in the Palm Beach next month, or go to the Lane's End at Turfway (now called the Spiral) on Polytrack. I will find out in the next couple days what the plan is.

16 Feb 2011 12:13 PM
trackjack

Thanks, Jason.

16 Feb 2011 12:25 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

I just had time to skim the responses here but I think that is terrible news about Ted from LA. I predict that his marriage proposals will go way down. However I'm glad that he still had a good time in Florida. Nothing stops that guy from having fun.

16 Feb 2011 1:26 PM
horseyman

I think uncle mo is a good horse But honor& glory will run his hoofs off the two of them had a good fall but honor had a bad day .

16 Feb 2011 6:18 PM
Mike Relva

Well,leave up to good ole Dutrow to mess up again. Eager to read some of you writing him a free pass.....again.

16 Feb 2011 6:19 PM
stevebiscuit

Guys like Dutrow give racing a bad name.

16 Feb 2011 8:24 PM
Bon Jovi

And guys like Jason give Sweet Love -- a bad name!

16 Feb 2011 10:20 PM
The Bid

Coldfacts...Here is a "FREAKISH" fact...Mo's time in the 1st mile of the Juvenile was better by more than 10 lengths in the Classic!! Like I said before...This horse is NO freak, HE is a SuperFreak...SuperFreak, He's SuperFreaky!!! YOW.........On a more serious note...Brethren beat the WORST 3yr.oldfield EVER...Comma To the Top and Tapizar have injuries and MO STILL eating his "Booty's" and NOT ONE HORSE RUN YET WILL BE ABLE TO CATCH HIM IN MAY!!!

16 Feb 2011 11:18 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

stevebiscuit, Mike Relva

I'd throw the book at him. 90 days is not enough. If they can't run because of pain, rest them and let them heal. The sport doesn't need more bad press, more breakdowns because horses are not sound, and breaking the drug rules which are actually quite liberal. Get it together or face year long suspensions is my opinion.

17 Feb 2011 1:23 AM
Footlick

The Bid- you would expect his mile time to be significantly faster than the mile split in the Classic.  He was only running 8.5 furlongs.  That just makes sense.

17 Feb 2011 11:21 AM
Billy's Empire

Didn't Mo win the Champagne in 134 and 2? In a hand ride? Just wondering

18 Feb 2011 9:02 AM
Footlick

Billy- and how fast was the track that day?  Time is always relative.  If every other race was run in a very slow time, it would be huge.  If other fast times were put up that day it could be the track.  Just sayin'.  Twirling Candy, who many don't seem to be impressed with here, ran 7 furlongs under 1:20.  The Factor ran 6 furlongs under 1:07.  The world record holder for 6 furlongs is a Turf Paradise horse who is not a gr1 winner, or even close.  But he is the world record holder.  The track has so much to do with times.  I'm not disputing that Uncle Mo is an extremely talented horse.  But you can't just throw times up and say that they are pure, raw fact.

18 Feb 2011 10:27 AM
Blocked! Blocked!

Keep keeping them honest Footlick.

Billy, how fast did QR run @ Gulfstream and tell me where he finished @ Churchill?  yeah,thought so.Trust me if he runs the mile that fast he'll finish up the track just like his ex stablemate did.

18 Feb 2011 1:16 PM
Tom F V

Billy, if you're the seasoned racetracker you claim to be you know those time comparisons are ridiculous.

18 Feb 2011 6:00 PM
Alex

I say let's wait til the end of the year, til after the Breeders Cup, before calling anyone a super horse. The way Uncle Mo's being hyped after only 3 baby races, if he doesn't win every major race he's going to be considered a disappointment, and that's not fair to the horse.

20 Feb 2011 1:02 AM

Alex- very, very true.

20 Feb 2011 12:25 PM
Billy's Empire

Attack, attack!! You all are too funny. I just mention a time that may or may not have been right, b/c I did not look it up, and everyone attacks me. Good for you guys.

Blocked, here is why I know more than you think I do. Quality Road, he was off going into the B.C. I told Jason that he had an issue, and to get away from him. Jason would not let me post it, nor did I want to, but ask Jason, and he will tell you I knew about this before the race, just like I told him Eskendrya was hurt 2 weeks before they announced it. But I know nothing, right Tom? I was just proving a point above with my smart aleck statement. I am off to a great year, I hope you are all as well.

21 Feb 2011 9:31 AM
Footlick

No attack Billy.  The way it was phrased made it sound like you were making a point of the time he ran.  If I misinterpreted, I apologize.

21 Feb 2011 12:18 PM
Billy's Empire

no need to apologize Footlick. it is all good. I just remember him running a really fast time in the Champagne and was referenceing what the Bid and others were talking about when he was running on BC day. I think I was at Keeneland the day he raced in NY. I am looking forward to this picks blog, I can tell you that. Should be fun.

21 Feb 2011 4:40 PM
Footlick

He's a fast horse.  You just can't compare his mile split in an 8.5F race to  mile split in a 10 furlong race, especially on a track that may have gotten deeper and stickier by the Classic.  That all I meant by my comment.  This blog should be fun and very generous of Mr Repole to give any time to something like this.

22 Feb 2011 8:54 AM
AALEXSPECTACULARSUNDAYSILENCESMARTY

I am a HUGE horse racing fan and have been a fan of Uncle Mo since I first saw him run. Best wishes for a safe trip in the Kentucky Derby and GOOD LUCK I know that you can do it. Not just win the Derby, I think you can win the triple crown. It's time, this is the year of greatness!!!

21 Apr 2011 2:07 PM