Hey, Kentucky--New Jersey's Not That Far Away

As a native of New Jersey, I had the displeasure of witnessing a once-proud horse racing industry deteriorate. The third-biggest circuit in the country in terms of quality and pari-mutuel handle didn't go away overnight; it took about 25 years.

Why? You can blame casino gambling, competition from other states--take your pick. I always blamed it on racing's inability to reassess its position and take the steps necessary to compete as times changed.

New Jersey racing is doing that now, minus a one-time showplace that's now a strip-mall and condo haven, and another crumbling track that races only six days a year. But politics, and the Atlantic City casino lobby, have thus far stymied racing industry proaction.

My job and personal travels over the past 15 years have taken me to racinos more times than I can count. It's a great opportunity to survey the landscape, talk to horsemen and management, and walk through the casino floor. The latter is always interesting (and humorous) because I just don't get it.

I don't care for slot machines. I can remember putting a few dollars into one at Mountaineer several years ago. I ended up walking over to the simulcast area a few minutes later. Enough of that.

When it comes to gambling, I've always leaned toward the "social" games--blackjack, for instance, and of course, pari-mutuel wagering.

Slots don't do it for me, but I don't have a problem with them. If people are entertained by them, have at it. I do derive some benefits, however, in the form of nicer surroundings and upgraded food and beverage service at racetracks that have the money to make such improvements because of slots.

While I'm pretty sure I understand why New Jersey racing can't gain any traction, I'm at a loss when it comes to Kentucky, where horse racing and breeding are deeply imbedded in the fabric of the state. Is it really possible one legislator and a few Wizard of Oz types that call shots from behind a curtain really control the industry's destiny? I try, but I just can't fathom it.

(A video of part of a June 24 Keeneland rally on this topic is available at bloodhorse.com.)

Opposition to gambling is fine--if you are truly opposed to gambling. If so, why isn't legislation introduced to ban the lottery, charitable gaming, and yes, even pari-mutuel wagering?

Let's take it one step further. Why doesn't the Kentucky legislature ban tobacco? They'd be keeping me, an "addict," from continuing to make a stupid decision--smoking cigarettes. How about banning alcohol? We all know that, like gambling, it's dangerous when abused.

I lean heavily conservative in my views, but I don't put gambling on the same level as abortion. I also believe party-line voting flies in the face of reason and democracy.

Gaming at racetracks is far from a panacea. I've seen and written about the negative far too many times. One thing I've noticed, however, is it never has been done properly in my view. Slots revenue can be really beneficial in a state that truly values its horse racing and breeding industry. I'm a skeptic, but I still haven't gotten the impression racing would take a back seat to slots in Kentucky given current ownership of the tracks and the way they are operated.

I still miss New Jersey and the old days in racing there quite a bit. I hope one day I don't have to say the same about Kentucky.

smartysgal

Tom, I'm originally from the Philadelphia, PA area, now living in Lexington, KY.  I'm appalled at how the slots aren't taking off in Kentucky.  With so many neighboring states going that route, without incident, it seems that Kentucky owes it to the industry and fans, some of whom may never be horse racing buffs like me, to belly up to the bar and bring on the slots.  I remember when horse racing was king in New Jersey.  Wasn't the Trenton Handicap of 1957 (or was in 1958?) the highlight of the Garden State meet when Bold Ruler met the likes of Gallant Man and Round Table in that now defunct classic?  It breaks my heart to see how far down the ladder racing has come.  I was a child of 9 when I first followed horse racing and still remain a fan at the age of 61.  I can only see slots benefitting Kentucky, horsemen and horsewomen, as well as the survival of the horse itself in the Bluegrass State.  It's time we stop being the state's babysitter and think the hard-nosed gambler won't travel to other states and spend his money (money which should have been spent in KY) on their slot machines and games.  People will do what they want to do.

25 Jun 2009 12:58 PM
WinnahPickah

Monmouth Park has been pretty busy on the Weekends. I hope it continues. All business is leaving NJ not just Horse Racing. These dumb democrats will never learn.

25 Jun 2009 1:10 PM
KentuckyTexan

All I have to say is look at Texas.  When I lived there there were many, many horse farms and lots of stallions.  We finally got some decent tracks (Hey, even Lone Star got the Breeders Cup!) and expanded gaming was going to make Texas THE place to race with THE best purses.  But the conservative Texas Government still won't allow expanded gaming.....Louisiana passed it, New Mexico passed it, so did Oklahoma and now their racing is booming and Texas is DEAD as far as racing goes.  Very few horse farms left, virtually no stallions and purses have tanked.  I left Texas for Kentucky--guess I'd better packing my bags again........Kentucky is headed in the same direction.

25 Jun 2009 1:51 PM
Anne

Monmouth Park is one of the finest racetracks in the country.  I raced there 20 years ago, as well as at Garden State and Atlantic City.  It is such a shame that only Monmouth is left (I dont consider Atlantic City a race track anymore).  There is so much history at Monmouth; I hope it can survive in a hostile climate.

25 Jun 2009 2:06 PM
MikeM

It's not the Democrats holding up the slots in NJ. Gov. Corzine,a Democrat, who I don't care for, has actually been a big supporter of racing. It's the Casino Lobby and mostly Repub's that fight it tooth and nail.

25 Jun 2009 2:34 PM
RickS

Anne,

What about The Meadowlands?

25 Jun 2009 3:09 PM
WinnahPickah

Mike M,

"Dumb Democrats" was in reference to our 'anti-business', 'Pro-Union' philosophy that has bankrupted NJ and cause hundreds of thousands of taxpayers to flee the state only to be replaced by non-taxpaying illegal immigrants. That is what I mean by "Dumb Democrats"

25 Jun 2009 3:28 PM
WinnahPickah

It also doesn't help that the average American is so fixated on Football they can't watch anything that actually requires thought I.e. Handicapping.

25 Jun 2009 3:30 PM
josh

As long as the IRS continues to take 15-25% out of the pools, and then takes another piece of your winnings over $600- horse racing remains one of the worst betting opportunities out there. Other then on the biggest days with the monster pools, why bother? My suggestion is to let horse racing die in the U.S. and teach the legislators a lesson!

25 Jun 2009 3:35 PM
Anne

Oh yes, Meadowlands.  Very forgetable.

25 Jun 2009 3:47 PM
Bluto Blutarsky

MikeM- you are flat out wrong about Corzine. He is NOT a big supporter of racing. A direct quote from our soon to be ex-governor was,"Racing in NJ is dying,let it die."

Nice,huh. Hey Mike, pick up a paper once in a while and read it. All the South Jersey Democrats are in the pockets of the AC casino lobby. Oh yeah now that the purse supplement is running out in 2010, Corzine recently appointed a committee to "study the issue of having slots at the tracks".

He fiddles as....you know the story.

25 Jun 2009 3:55 PM
Bill

The casino lobbies in this country are the crack cocaine of gambling.  Tracks that wed their fate to infusions of casino revenues are being short sighted. How long will the casino operators allow the subsidies to the racing industry to continue? As they gain power in state legislatures they will dominate racing and eventually kill it. Racing has to live or die on its' own merits. Marrying themselves to casinos is not in their long term interests.  New Jersey racing is being and has been strangled by the casino lobby due to their power in the state legislature. Moreover, most people don't wish to take the time to learn how to play our game.  It takes time and effort to learn how to effectively handicap and learn how to wager intelligently.  It's far more appealing to today's instant gratification generation of gamblers to mindlessly feed money into machines and watch stuff spin around. I honestly wish I knew how racing can compete with casinos today given people's penchant for a fast,easy buck!

25 Jun 2009 4:35 PM
MichaelM.

Less than 5 yrs ago Meadowlands harness was handling about 600,000,000.00 a yr avg over 3,000,000.00 a night.Now they avg about 1/2 that.

How dumb can politicians get ?

25 Jun 2009 4:53 PM
Somethingroyal

Bill:

Thank you for writing what I have been trying to get across on a few other blogs about this issue. I believe slot machines have nothing positive to add to the horse racing industry. People here in CA voted to allow Indian casinos to expand and now tracks like Hollywood Park are being demolished for commercial development. What folks don't realize. When tracks like Hollywood Park are gone. The rich racing history is gone forever  and the die hard racing fan like myself looses out. The industry needs to improve the product (the horse) return plastic tracks back to dirt and have a zero drug tolerance. I'm a Thoroughbred artist and I fear that someday, I won't have any new subjects to draw because the Thoroughbred will no longer exist. What a scary thought.

25 Jun 2009 5:08 PM
UCLinden

If anyone wants to really know the future of horse racing in New Jersey, all you have to do is look across the street at the new development recently built , the name of it " The Jockey Club ".

New Jersey presently has three ( 3 ) OTB's. One of New Jersey's legislator's is pushing for sports betting, wanna guess where it will be if successful .... the casino's & OTB's !!!

My bet is two tracks will survive in New Jersey .... The Meadowlands & Freehold Raceway ( which is owned by Penn Gaming ).

If Monmouth closes ; along with that, I'm sure some horse farms will also fold .... can you hear the developer's salivating ???

You can be sure if this happens, it will be  under the guise of the economic stimulus package " putting people back to work ".

25 Jun 2009 5:46 PM
Cathy

When I was a child living in Texas, I remember my mother going to the grocery store, buying groceries, and getting a racing scratch off coupon. There was a channel on TV every Friday, that showed horse racing.  There would be a race that corresponded to the race on the coupon. There would be a horse in the race that was also on the coupon. If your horse came in, you could win $5, $20, $50, $100, and so on, depending on what scratched off. They would have about 6 or 7 races per program. I would BEG my mother to go to the store every day, so I would have a stack of those coupons. I was glued to that TV every Friday. Now...I don't even know if something like that is legal, or if Mommy and Daddy would be afraid their little darling would grow up to be a horse player,  but I know that I became a horse racing fan right there, and have been ever since. Maybe something along those lines could be modified   to interest the average person and bring them into horse racing.

25 Jun 2009 6:32 PM
last call

it's time to raise gas taxes,  have a state property tax. things that will affect everyone in state, horse farms will turn into subdivisions. i wonder will the senate vote the same

25 Jun 2009 6:58 PM
NJTrotter

We are our own worse enemy.  NJ horsemen, and the entire industry as a matter of fact, stood idle when the casinos first attacked.  Obviously, the casino lobby is much, much stronger than any horsemen's organization.  So when push comes to shove, it's no-brainer who's coming out on top.  The harness meet at The Meadowlands financed the whole Sports Complex and now the track is an afterthought.  The only thing that keeps the track going is the down turn in the economy. The valuable land that the track sits on is no longer as "valuable".  Believe me, if the real estate market continued to climb as it did just a few years ago, the track would be history.  Thank the Lord for Monmouth Park.  It's still beautiful but when the State pulls the string I hate to see what's going to happen to it.  Horsemen, both harness and thoroughbred, have the option to chase the big purses at the slot-funded tracks nearby in New York, Pennsylvania and Delaware.  One way to infuse purse money to NJ tracks would be to allow sports betting.  I have the perfect venue for it - The Izod Center, aka The Meadowlands Arena.  When the Nets skip town, Izod will be a white elephant.  The Devils are already gone, having moved to Newark.  So remodel Izod to a massive sports book, let the casino's run it so they get their cut with less whining and let the NJSEA take it's cut and help out The Meadowlands and Monmouth.

25 Jun 2009 8:20 PM
edzepplin

Tom,

Logic and reason do not mix in public policy formation. Our two party system is all about aquiring power and winning the next election for legislators. Goverment for the good of the tax payers and the state's signature industry ? Never crosses their minds in the partisan world. I hoped KY and Ohio would pass VLT's so our "objectively challenged" racing commission would realize that home grown horses have real economic benefit for the state of Indiana and can increase in quality if structred properly. How can anyone regulate an Industry when they have no experience in participating in the actual racing or breeding horses or do not accept any advice from people who make it their living. lemmings; all of them.

25 Jun 2009 11:06 PM
da3hoss

WinnahPickah, instead of dissin' the football fan as someone who can't handicap or is not at all interested in a horse race, why not try to figure out why that person will pay huge $$$ for a football game (that they can't even hardly see waaay up in the stadium) & shell out even more money for preferred parking yet isn't the least bit interested in going to the racetrack for a $2 admission and free parking?

Millions of horse people doing all kinds of horse activities every weekend, and racing doesn't even begin to draw in the average horse owner...why?

26 Jun 2009 6:32 AM
aspradling

So with VLTs not passing, those who did not pass it, better work their butts off to find some solutions that actually make sense. Ellis, Turfway, Red Mile and probably Kentucky Downs are looking over the edge...

As a republican...I can't believe those I voted for and that are suppose to represent my city and views, failed to do so. Because there are 1,000s of families hurting outside of those that "could become victims" how about those that are.

26 Jun 2009 9:20 AM
Bill

Thank you, Somethingroyal.  I agree with your wish list.  I would love to see racing get back to what it was. Real dirt and real thoroughbreds who aren't medicated to death.

26 Jun 2009 10:07 AM
Somethingroyal

Bill:

I'll be visiting Hollywood Park tomorrow to watch Zenyatta run. I'm saddened knowing it will probably be my last trip up to the racetrack. The historic track is set for demoilation. Next year the track and the history will be nothing more than a rubble. I hope our so called racing experts are real happy with themselves. Shame on them. All for a slot mindless  slot machine.

26 Jun 2009 11:43 AM
GAMBLER911

LETS GET some facts straight here people horse racing is deader than a doornail....AND can never compete with casinos or attract a younger generation...and to the author of this blog newjersey was never the third largest racing market in the country...that distinction would have to go to newyork,california,florida,kentucky..then perhaps n.j. i started going to the old garden state in 1963 as a kid when i was a teenager and driving i used to go to atlantic city racetrack and monmouth...what everyone fails to mention is the horseman have cut there own throats in this over saturated business....racetracks popped up like weeds in your gardens in the last 40 years....count the tracks within 100 miles of monmouth....its a deadgame run by theives/ crooks and as jack vanberg said to congress its chemical- warfare on the tracks these days...next time your racetrack offers you free rooms,spa treatments and gourmet meals and show tickets get a hold of me please....DEAD GAME-DEAD GENERATION...

26 Jun 2009 12:27 PM
NJTrotter

Gambler911 calls it correctly.  We are DEAD.  Shoot a bullet through most grandstands and you wouldn't hit a soul.  Nobody's there but they still have the nerve to charge for admission and parking!  Way too many second-rate tracks with 5 horse fields.  Someone spits and the races come off the turf.  How in the world do they run 8 turf races in Europe on a boggy course every day!  State-bred racing may help the industry in that particular state but overall by breeding mediocrity does nothing to enhance the breed or the sport.

26 Jun 2009 4:14 PM
Matt M.

As a horseman and horseplayer, I agree with Gambler911....I had this same arguemnt at our local watreing hole last night with a fellow horseowner.........too much racing in the Northeast.......the fields are thin and watered down....filled with horses that have no reason to be in the starting gate. Half the MTH cards are 5-6 horse fields and Del. barely fills races....Does Pa really need 3 meets going at once? For all the abuse that NYRA takes, NY racing is still decent.

As far as NJ goes....AC runs the state  and owns the votes thru the S. Jersey pols....as long as that machine stays in place, then NJ will continue to wither away. You can attack whoever you'd like, but the Dems. pray at the alter of AC.

26 Jun 2009 4:25 PM
The author

Gambler911: In the early 1960s, Atlantic City, Garden State, and Monmouth were in the top 10 in average daily handle. Other tracks in the top 10 were in NY and Florida. Even Washington Park in Chicago was top 10. Saratoga was almost an afterthought back then. ... Pennsylvania didn't get Thoroughbred racing until 1969 at Liberty Bell, and Delaware Park held short summer meets. All the gamblers--and good horses--went to NJ in those days. ... To show the impact of competition and how it changed things, I've have looked at old charts that show 22,000 people and handle of more than $2 million at Liberty Bell on a January Saturday in the early 1970s. ...

26 Jun 2009 5:40 PM
outsidelookingin

when the sports book and table games at del park open in sept it will be the end of the atlantic city casino's stronghold on gambling-who would want to go to AC with the crime and all that goes with it?the casinos are already struggling because of the economy- without the casino's backing nj purses will plummet, the state will not be able to provide free workman's comp insurance for the horsemen(comes from casino money)as an incentive to race in nj and there will be a traffic jam on rt 36 with all the horses leaving monmouth park for good - not only the horses were wearing blinkers!

26 Jun 2009 11:16 PM
Zookeeper

Good grief! You guys are depressing! I keep hoping for a ray of sunshine in here...No such luck! Nothing but doom & gloom. Lighten up, for crying out loud! The way you go on, we might as well just roll up the tracks and give up on horseracing altogether. Let's kill the darn thing now and avoid the slow, painful death you are predicting.

27 Jun 2009 12:19 AM
jp8n

Careful with your illegal immigrant tax assessments, WinnahPickah. Many pay payroll taxes and never claim them. Money in--not money out.

27 Jun 2009 10:43 AM
GAMBLER911

TO the author....in 1960 and up thru the early 1970:s i can believe there were 22,000 at liberty bell.you must remember back then simulcasting was non existent.liberty bell which has been franklin mills mall for the past 35 years,just like brandywine in deleware..when keystone opened in i believe 1973 average saturday crowds were 15,000 today 1,500 if your lucky..the only track i personally attend live is saratoga i go every august for a week and have for the past 30 years.its the only gem left in my opinion.as i stated in my previous post way to many racetracks,not enough horses..your going to love this 7 of us degenerates drove/ flew into richmond va. last weekend to go to colonial cup day.it was a track none of us gamblers had ever been to.3 came from newyork 3 from philly area and one guy flew in from florida..we met up friday afternoon at our hotel 18 miles from the track {in the boonies}we loaded up and headed for the track as post time is 6.00pm on friday nights..after arriving and looking over the track the 7 of us bellied up to the bar for drinks and that was churchills first ever under the lights card..about 9.00pm one in our group said he was going to pick up the saturday forms,your going to love this..COLONIAL DOWNS does not sell the DAILY RACING FORM ON ITS PREMISES..they print 22 different books for each track they simulcast at $1.50 per track...needless to say our trip was ruined as were astute handicappers and when the bible isnt available for sale thats it.none of us 7 would ever visit that track again....always remember this about horse racing owner/ breeders are the big part of why the game is dead...the days back when i grew up in this game there were horses that were like heroes to the public..in modern racing {THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR} your not allowed to ever see a good 3 year old run again,if he wins any part of the triple crown he immediately is syndicated for $20---50 million never to mature and or set foot on a racetrack again..its a disgrace...young people have no idea what a true handicap race is/ used to be..gotta run guys off to the borgata today $300.00 in food comps available...my track offered $1.00 dog-day..lol..lol...dead-dead-dead game....

28 Jun 2009 6:19 AM
The author

Gambler911: On a positive note, glad to hear people still do racetrack group trips. ... On a negative note, I'm surprised to hear the Form wasn't available on track. I was at Colonial last year, and the Form was on sale (I think).

28 Jun 2009 9:36 AM
Stan M

Folks, you better start brushing up on your research of european, asian, and australasian racing because thats where our betting and love for the game is headed. Laugh all you want but it's going to be a way of life for the majority of us horseplayers in the near future because the game is truly dieing here in the great U.S. Hell, whats wrong with having the "World Series of Handicapping" held in Hong Kong one year, then have it the following year somewhere outside of Rome? Just what I always envisioned, burning the midnight oil with a couple of beers and the racing form and betting the races at 3 a.m. from Happy Valley racetrack in Hong Kong. Please somebody, give me a gun already!

28 Jun 2009 9:42 AM
kara B

Say what you want about racing.  I am in NY where we have our Senate puts the FUN in dysfunctional.  NYRA has taken a beating but NY organizes its racing so that it has NYRA track running year round and everyone finds their niche.  Fingerlakes has the slots and is there to pick up the NY breds and others that can't make it at the NYRA tracks but still offer decent purses and decent breeders awards.  NY breds have improved greatly and are highly desireable, especially with the infusion of KY sires and the NY sires have improved greatly as well.  I can think of a numbr of NY sires that could stand in KY.  I think the opening up of the breeding rules made NY more competitive in open racing instead of insulating NY breds to mediocrity.  I realize that it is tough on NY sires and there is a lot to complain about in NY government, but there racing has remained pretty good - although there are always improvements.

28 Jun 2009 2:06 PM
LONGSHOTPLAYR

I have read the posts on this thread and agree with those that say the game has gone downhill over the years. I have been going to The Meadowlands since it opened and it is really sad to see that 1/3 of the facility is closed off. Also, I like to handicap New York racing and yesterdays' card was about as bad of a program that I have ever seen at Belmont. In my wildest dreams I never thought I would see a $7,500 claiming race at Belmont on a Saturday. Also, conditioned claiming races are becoming the norm in NY. As a serious handicapper, I have no deire to wager on cheap races because those are just guessing games as to which horse feels like running that day.

28 Jun 2009 2:17 PM
NJTrotter

Let's not forget the prime culprit in the demise of the racing game.  It's the BLUEBLOODS!  Yes, the guys who own and breed the the perennial champions.  They do pour millions and millions into the game but it's loose change to these guys.  They still don't realize that it's the rail-birds who keep the industry going.  That's right, the two dollar bettor.  Maybe once in a while they should wander through an empty grandstand or two.  I honestly believe these guys despite all their "smarts" don't realize where the purse money comes from.  How about a handicapping contest between the top owners, breeders, trainers and bloodstock agents (who are these guys anyway).  Let's see them handicap the 3rd from Evangeline without any inside info.

28 Jun 2009 10:41 PM
CarlJ

What amuses me is the way State after State with Slots are now struggling big time and actually losing money but Ky and OH still think that is the answer to all of the problems. They will attract a money for themselves for a short amount of time then realize that people are still not wagering on the races and will try to beg for more relief. It's a never ending cycle for a sport that has no idea how promote its own game.

29 Jun 2009 6:31 PM
ben

racing is very much alive in new jersey, not sure what this is about

30 Jun 2009 10:43 AM
Edward

Monmouth is crowded every weekend.

Horse racing needs to make its own money.

Tons of tracks need to close.

I was at Delaware Park(slot heaven) on a Saturday in 2007 and was one of 10 people in the stands. I am dead serious. 10 people.

I am a regular handicapper but I never bet on low level claiming races. They shouldn't even exist.

Horse racing will not be fixed until owners, trainers, breeders and long time industry types get out of the way and let someone outside the industry TELL them how to run their game. There isn't an industry as big as this that is controlled by a larger set of fools.(Including the writers of this magazine, DRF, etc) Does anyone float more weak ideas than Andrew Beyer, Crist, and a bunch of cats from this magazine? For an example, check out the clown on this site who proposes a World Series race as a fix as if horse racing doesn't have enough " and "championships/champions". The fact that Bloodhorse published it like it was a novel idea goes to show the depth of ineptitude in this industry. Or check out when Beyer claims that TVG sucks because it doesn't televise horse races the way they do on that crappy TV at the OTB. Or what about the fact that all the money is off the track in this sport(breeding) at not in the winning purses? So many problems so little talent to help.

30 Jun 2009 8:26 PM
Stan M

Hey Edward, yeah you really had a lot to offer with your comments. If you learn to ascertain fact from fiction you will see that I was speaking with tongue-in-cheek about the future of the game, but your act is getting on board and berating people. Wow, you were at Delaware Park in 2007. Who cares!

01 Jul 2009 8:57 PM
TerriV

My God, what a depressing bunch of griping, whining and complaining.  Racing may be ailing but it isn't dead yet and as long as it isn't dead there is hope.  There is a fix for these problems somewhere.  It's probably a pipedream to look back and wish for the golden days of racing no matter how glorious they look from a 50 to 70 year distance.  What we need is to make it new.  The entire industry needs to put together a panel to research and propose ideas - make a decision and get to work. I hate whining!

02 Jul 2009 3:40 PM
marney

Sure have to agree with you if the government wants to keep us from our addiction than they should ban all of them i.e. booze, cigarettes, all gambling inlcuding state lotteries, and any other type I hven't thought of.

06 Jul 2009 11:17 AM
Michael

I was embarrassed to read the majority of comments on this page.

If any of you think that your apathy, pessimism, lack of ingenuity and resourcefulness, and complete dearth of dynamic creativity are not significant contributors to the problem of horse racing today, you deserve to go down with it.

You remind me of people who complain about government but who never get their as*es off the couch to participate in local and national elections.

I have been an owner for 30 years and have seen this apathetic indifference continue to allow the industry to tank.  It took time to write your pessimistic posts.  If you actually care about the industry, take that time to write to the Kentucky legislators - contact industry groups and ask how you can help - or just spend some time brainstorming how to bring more positivity, problem solving skills, and support to this problem.

Perception is often deemed to be the reality - and when newcomers to the sport come in to bh.com and read all of the "insider" negativity and doomsday predictions - do you think it makes them want to rush out and buy a horse of their own?  To go learn how to read the form?

Use your brains.  And if you don't have them, go back to watching television and leave space on this page for some original thought - that's the thing you don't have while bullying those who do out of the industry with your know-it-all, depressing attitudes.

08 Jul 2009 11:18 AM
J. Sandy

And the winner is...The casinos! It is obvious that we in the business of racing, be it a breeder,owner or trainer are facing the greatest challenge of our industries existance. Big casinos put in sprots Book rooms with simalcastes of races and take the majority of the money. The Indian casinos have found a cash cow with their opperations and don't want anything to disrupt their gambeling cart. If the casino industy could somehow get horse racing completly out of existance or of they could control it, they would be very happy.

To insure this they have developed strong PAC's to further they interests. the racing industry is trailing far behind politically even though they have been at it longer.This is a $20 Billion dollar a year industry that is going down the road to extinction IF all interestes in racing don't unite and bring pressure upon the dicission making forces to right the ship and save racing across this country.

New Jersy is one prime example along with California and Washington State to name others that are about to see the end of a long and illustrious history of racing in their states.

If your really concirnes get together with others and make some noise in your state!!!

10 Jul 2009 10:56 AM