BC TV Coverage Similar to That of 2012

The official television schedule for live coverage of the Breeders' Cup World Championships was released Oct. 21, and it shows all but one hour on the NBC Sports Network. The schedule is similar to that of 2012.

NBC will have a one-hour broadcast from 8-9 p.m. EDT Saturday, Nov. 2, to show the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) from Santa Anita Park. The race is scheduled for 5:35 p.m. PDT (8:35 EDT).

Viewers will have to watch NBC Sports Network, however, for coverage of the rest of the Saturday program during a lengthy broadcast from 3:30-8 p.m. EDT. The first Breeders' Cup race that day is scheduled for 12:05 p.m. PDT (3:05 EDT).

On Friday, Nov. 1, the first Breeders' Cup race is scheduled for 1:45 p.m. PDT. Thus, NBC Sports Network will have live coverage from 4-8 p.m. EDT, with the featured Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) set for 4:35 p.m. PDT (7:35 EDT).

The NBC Sports Network, according to its web site, is available in about 80 million homes in the United States via cable and satellite systems.

In 2012 Nielsen Company reported NBC Sports Network coverage of the Saturday Breeders' Cup races, minus the Classic, averaged 350,000 viewers throughout the day. The Friday telecast averaged 178,000 viewers.

Both numbers were expectedly down from 2011 when the more broadly distributed ESPN carried the Breeders' Cup.

Last year's Classic telecast on standard NBC channels drew 3.1 million viewers according to Nielsen, up roughly 100% from 2011 when the race was shown on ESPN.

Pre-entries for this year's 14 races were taken Oct. 21 and will be made public late morning Oct. 23.

There will again be two post-position draws Monday, Oct. 28, when the entry deadline will be 10 a.m. PDT. Twelve races will be drawn beginning at 12:30 p.m. at Santa Anita; the Classic and Distaff will be drawn during a reception from 3:30-5:30 p.m. at the racetrack.

Nancy Marashio

Breeders' Cup coverage is done best at HRTV, which shares more insights about the horses at the heart of these races.

Why do your articles act as if NBC is the sole source?

22 Oct 2013 11:29 AM
mz

"80 million homes in the United States"

As usual, we who do not live in the U.S. will be scrambling around trying to find wheretheheck the races are being shown.

So much for "World" championships.

22 Oct 2013 11:43 AM
Fred and Joan

It is such a shame that the BC is no longer hardly broadcast at all on over the air TV. We are small thoroughbred breeders in Oregon and there are many small breeders who can not afford satellite or don't have access to cable like ourselves. The industry needs to make the sport more available to people outside the reach of cable and satellite TV. The few over-the-air broadcasts are also not well-advertised and the public is lucky if it gets a 10-second announcement. We remember when you could watch the BC races over the air FOR FREE and we wish that it would return to that format.

22 Oct 2013 12:27 PM
MAP

HRTV is showing ALL of the 2-day Breeders' Cup card at Santa Anita. Races shown on NBC will be shown on HRTV on delay. If you don't have HRTV on your television, you can sign up to watch the same broadcast as on TV on your laptop, smartphone, or tablet. I watch HRTV on my iPhone all the time!

22 Oct 2013 1:06 PM
AnneM

Forget NBC -  will be watching on TVG

22 Oct 2013 3:11 PM
Racingfan

If racing really wants to grow the fan base like we hear all the time, why are two of the biggest days of racing only being shown on PAY tv?  Doesn't make any sense to me!

23 Oct 2013 8:46 AM
Alicia McQuilkin

I understand that the Breeders' Cup falls right in the middle of college football season, but it would be nice if they'd have more coverage on free TV. More casual fans would be likely to be trying to find some respite from every other channel of football, football, football. At least this is what I do on Saturday evenings if I'm able to watch TV.

And as for the 80 million homes point, fair enough. But NBCSN doesn't come with basic cable on a lot of packages. And there are a lot of people out there who still can't afford (or justify) cable/satellite for $50-100+/mo. I'd be one of those people if it wasn't provided with my rent. I rarely watch anything but local stations. And as big of a racing fan as I am, that kind of price every month locked in isn't worth it for Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup time. This is what YouTube is for. And then I'll miss one of my favorite parts in the human/horse-interest stories that I haven't heard about.

Simply put: which fans are more likely to have the RIGHT subscriptions, college football or horse racing fans? Cut us a break NBC, please? Their coverage is soooo much better than ESPN's was (though I do miss Jeannine Edwards' interviews) and it's sad that it's not as easy to watch for a lot of people.

23 Oct 2013 9:31 AM
Anna33

Good news!  Full Breeders' Cup coverage is available on HRTV.com, beginning now with works, handicapping, breaking news as it happens.  Then catch ALL the races on Breeders' Cup Friday and Saturday at www.hrtv.com.

25 Oct 2013 2:49 PM
Stellar Jayne

I too am very disappointed that the BC races will not be on regular broadcast tv.  Since I moved to NC four yrs. ago from NYC I have missed attending the races at Belmont, Saratoga, Aqueduct and Monmouth where I was able to watch the BC at the different venues on the large, or small screens at the track.

As a senior who has to watch her pennies, I can't afford the outrageous prices that cable and the sporting channels charge, so I rely on the broadcast stations - nbc, cbs or abc and they fail across the board in considering all of the racing's fans.  Why would nbc broadcast station not want to repeat 3.5 million fans watching the races????  It is just plain stupid planning to me!

27 Oct 2013 1:10 PM
Old Old Cat

I have more negatives than positives about the coverage.  My co-owners in Delaware and Pennsylvania could not get the preliminary races.  I could not hear because of the background noise, (I'm old, background noise is overwhelming, I switch channels if possible).  The sparse pronouncements by the knowledgeable experts were welcome, the mindless babble by the NBC imitation celebreties was not.

There is a lot of room for improvement, let's hope they do.

05 Nov 2013 12:05 PM