Most Memorable Triple Crown Performances

Steve Haskin's Look Back at the Decade

Editors of The Blood-Horse challenged senior correspondent Steve Haskin to fill in the blanks on several “best of” lists for the decade of 2000-2009. While several of them appear in the Dec. 26/Jan. 2 combined issue of the magazine (mailing on Dec. 29), there wasn’t space for them all.

Over the coming days until the end of the year, all of Steve’s lists will be posted here with readers of BloodHorse.com encouraged to comment.

Most Memorable Triple Crown Performances (Videos Below):

1. Afleet Alex winning the 2005 Preakness – Watching his remarkable recovery after nearly falling and then going on to a comfortable victory still is one of the most amazing feats I’ve ever witnessed.

2. Rags to Riches winning 2007 Belmont Stakes – Considering who she beat and how she did it, after stumbling badly at the start, this gut-wrenching performance has to rank as one of the great moments in Triple Crown history.

3. Rachel Alexandra winning 2009 Preakness Stakes – She broke new ground by coming back two weeks after her Kentucky Oaks demolition and switching barns and winning the Preakness, despite battling on the lead through swift fractions.

4. Big Brown winning 2008 Kentucky Derby – Winning the Derby in a romp in only his fourth career start and breaking from post 20 makes this  one of the greatest and most under-appreciated performances of the decade. The magnitude of his achievement was overshadowed by the Eight Belles tragedy.

5. Curlin winning 2007 Preakness – After being passed by Street Sense at the top of the stretch and seemingly beaten, he rallied to catch the Kentucky Derby winner right on the wire in only his fifth career start. This race proved to be his springboard to a Horse of the Year campaign.

6. Smarty Jones winning 2004 Preakness – His 11-length romp was one of the most dominating victories seen in a Triple Crown race. His acceleration after turning for home and the way he drew off at will from a talented field made this the most jaw-dropping victory of the decade.

7. Birdstone winning 2004 Belmont Stakes – Although it wasn’t the result everyone was hoping for, it was the most electric atmosphere experienced in a long time, and by a record Belmont crowd of over 120,000. Smarty Jones’ :22 4/5 third quarter, the dubious tactics by rival jockeys, and Birdstone’s relentless charge made this one for the history books.

8. Point Given winning 2001 Belmont Stakes – His 12-length runaway also ranks right up there for total domination, and along with his Preakness score, had everyone scratching their heads how he failed to sweep the Triple Crown. Unlike Smarty Jones, he just out-stayed his foes and steadily ran them into the ground with those huge strides.

9. Barbaro winning 2006 Kentucky Derby – Very few were expecting such a blowout in what was perceived to be a strong Derby field. Immediately after the race, many were all but conceding the Triple Crown to this exciting, undefeated colt.

10. Fusaichi Pegasus winning 2000 Kentucky Derby – People forget just how spectacular this grand-looking colt was, and he, too, looked like a sure-fire Triple Crown winner after his authoritative victory. He was quite a character, and physically, was as magnificent-looking a Derby winner as I've ever seen. This was a much better horse than people think, but didn’t get a chance to show it because of physical issues.

10. Tie Monarchos Winning the 2001 Kentucky Derby -- What made this effort so remarkable was not only the fact that it was the second-fastest Derby ever run, but the power demonstrated by Monarchos as he came from far back and demolished a top-class field that included Point Given and Congaree.

Most Memorable Triple Crown Performances

8. Point Given 2001 Belmont Stakes

9. Barbaro 2006 Kentucky Derby

10. Fusaichi Pegasus 2000 Kentucky Derby

Previous Lists:

12/21/09 - Most Physically Impressive Horses

Frank J.

Steve, can't think of any more to add or change from the list, perhaps Afleet Alex's Belmont romp but that's about it. Well done.

22 Dec 2009 3:38 PM
Ofelia

All wonderful performances but I loved Street Sense's Derby as well as Mine That Bird. This is hard to choose but my favorite was Smarty's races. What a horse!

22 Dec 2009 3:54 PM
steve from st louis

Steve: Your list validates how hard it is for one three-year-old to win all three. Afleet Alex and Curlin were probably the most talented and complete classic runners of the group. The former just needed more racing luck and the latter some seasoning.

22 Dec 2009 4:08 PM
steve from st louis

In my opinion, Barbaro would have been a Triple Crown winner had tragedy not interfered. He was the most complete racehorse of the last 20 years.

22 Dec 2009 4:12 PM
CRob87

Question:

What was the name of the horse that caused Afleet Alex to stumble in the first place ???

If my memory serves me right, his breeding had something to do with Fit To Fight ????

22 Dec 2009 4:21 PM
da3hoss

Monarchos running the Derby under 2:00.

Curlin equaling the Preakness Stakes record in just his 5th lifetime start.

Mine That Bird running the last quarter as fast as Secretariat.

Street Sense conquering the "Juvenile Jinx".

Summer Bird winning the "Test of Champions" in his 5th lifetime start.

Rags

Rachel

Barbaro

Birdstone

Alex

22 Dec 2009 4:32 PM
Afleet Treet

Steve,

BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!! As great as the races have been the last ten years, I don't think ANY race (in my mind) take the chills, thrills, and elations factor more than Afleet Alex in the Preakness...I swear my heart stopped that dya and didn't restart until he and Jeremy crossed the wire first! Incidentally that is when I picked my jaw up off the floor too!

Of his KY Derby and Smarty's Belmont loss, I think those are two of the most sad defeats as I think they both would have Triple Crown's to their credit if the racing Gods had been smiling those days. *Sigh* well, we can dream. Don't ask me why but Afleet Alex will stand as one of my favorite horses of all time (and I loved him way before the Derby)...he just took a big chunk of my heart and I am afraid I'll never get it back...wish his career wasn't cut short but to think that it may have been cut short by his incredible Preakness and then that he ran the Belmont the way he did it before the injury was detected, just goes to show the incredible heart of a champion he had...I am happy to see so many of his babies this and am cautiously hopefully that one of his babies will burst onto the scene and vindicate his (or her) sire's loss with an emphatic win in the Kentucky Derby! A follow-up win in the latter two TC races would NOT be a disappointment either...would LOVE nothing more than Afleet Alex's first crop to win the first TC in decades! *Sigh*

I know...I know...now I am REALLY dreaming big.

LOL!

Thanks for some GREAT columns and very thought provoking year end lists!

You're the best!

P.S.~ LOVED the Offy's too!

22 Dec 2009 5:01 PM
Virgil Fox

I'm with Afleet Treet.

"How much the best is HE!"

- Peace

22 Dec 2009 5:30 PM
LDP

Crob87,

The horse's name was Srappy T.

22 Dec 2009 5:32 PM
jd

smarty jones deserved a better fate. underrated race horse. jock forgot to save something for the end.

22 Dec 2009 5:34 PM
Mary Ann W in Louisville

You nailed it!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the great job!!!!

22 Dec 2009 5:39 PM
KonaDuke

Steve, great compilation of Triple Crown races. Thanks.

I still get goosebumps when the track announcer Tom, Durkin says, "And here comes Monarchos". From last to first and in 1/5 off the record undr 2.00 mins. That was Point Givens race to win. He should have been the champ in 2001.

Aloha!!

22 Dec 2009 6:08 PM
Ranagulzion

STEVE,

Cant believe that Monarchos victory in the 2001 Kentucky Derby didn't make your top ten.  His was certainly one of the most explosive last half mile you'll ever see in a record-splits Derby.  His final time is surpassed by only Secretariat.  His performance was no fluke as he gave us a preview in the Florida Derby and finally, that field was arguably the most talented of the decade leading up to the race.  Come on Steve explain your assessment.

22 Dec 2009 6:39 PM
MJ

Move Barbaro up higher.

22 Dec 2009 6:42 PM
Oldie

Thanks so much.  I needed a good weep, and watching all the replays certainly provided it.  The way these animals run their hearts out will forever capture mine.  I, too, was floored by Afleet Alex's ability to recover from that near fall and win.  That horse had determination and a great brain.  A lot of 3 year old TBs would have panicked - he just picked himself up and kept on running.  Amazing.

22 Dec 2009 6:49 PM
MRO

Rags Belmont was #1

22 Dec 2009 7:07 PM
Karen in Texas

A very good list! We have seen several "once in a lifetime" performances in only one decade! Barbaro's unfinished resume will always be a sad reminder of the time period as well.

22 Dec 2009 7:21 PM
Steve Haskin

I came close to putting Street Sense's Derby on there, but remember, these arent the best performances, but the most memoriable to me, so it's quite subjective. It's not easy limiting these to 10, but in future lists I do have a few ties and also Honorable Mentions.

22 Dec 2009 7:41 PM
MTBFan(still)

I only recently "joined" the sport so I can't judge much, but I really think either Street Sense's 2007 Derby or Mine That Bird's Derby shocker should be there. The cleverness of the moves and the pure "gallantry" in those races will live on and those are truly unforgettable races. Who can ever forget Durkin trying to make up for lost time, announcing that The Bird was winning...no, crossed the wire, in the Kentucky Derby? And breakdown or no breakdown behind him, I still wasn't impressed by Big Brown. He was a solid, impressive runner but didn't put out enough to mark himself above. He did seem like a happy little runner, though. As for Curlin? Put a statue of him in Pimlico now...

22 Dec 2009 8:35 PM
Sammi P

As soon as I saw the title I knew Rags had to be one or two! I will never forget her fighting Curlin right to the end and winning the duel.

22 Dec 2009 8:39 PM
Jonas luva

2007 Belmont Stakes    Go Rags!!!!!

22 Dec 2009 8:52 PM
arliss

To put Rachel Alexandra's Preakness above Barbaro's Derby victory is laughable.  RA ablout fell down at the finish line, while Barbaro put on the most dominant Derby win we've seen in many years.

22 Dec 2009 9:03 PM
Barbara W

Great column, and thanks for posting the videos as well. Merry Christmas, everyone.

22 Dec 2009 9:13 PM
Becky

Great list!  Still astonished at Afleet Alex's Preakness and still feel a pang at Smarty's Belmont and Barbaro's Derby!

22 Dec 2009 9:13 PM
Greg J.

Mr. Haskin,

Thanks once again!  Where has the last ten years gone?  Some of these incredible races seem like they were just yesterday!  I know you were limited here to just ten, But, This year's Derby with Mine That Bird, Well, The way he did it and how the margin of victory was more then Barbaro's, It would be in my top ten, No doubt...

22 Dec 2009 9:48 PM
Convene

After due consideration, I think I'd still have to rank Rags' Belmont number one. She stumbled out of the gate, then gave the eye to Curlin and beat him. He bumped her; she bumped him right back! Her attitude was as purely thoroughbred as any I ever saw. "Don't even THINK of putting your nose ahead of mine! NOBODY puts his nose ahead of mine! Not at the wire; not anywhere!" She looked one of the best groups of colts in recent years in the eye and beat 'em. She didn't just hold on long enough; she BEAT them. So yeah, I would have to rank her Belmont tops for the decade.

22 Dec 2009 10:19 PM
amo5609

Great list, Steve!  The Derby has all the glamour, the Belmont has the suspense if the Triple Crown is on the line, but the Preakness has some of the best races I can remember.  From Sunday Silence and Easy Goer, Rachel Alexandra and Alfeet Alex, it always has me on the edge of my seat.  Thanks for posting the videos.  It was interesting to note how much technology has improved from the 2000 Derby to Rachel's Preakness, too.  Much better quailty!

22 Dec 2009 10:26 PM
needler in Virginia

Steve, I must agree that you made a boo-boo by omitting Monarchos' Derby in 2001. YE GODS, MAN! His time was second only to that of you-know-who by 2/5. How can you NOT include him? And while Point Given was imposing and very talented, he wasn't much of either on that day; it was his race to lose and he did. I would think ANY sub 2 minute Derby would fall into your top ten.................

Cheers, happy holidays and safe trips to all.

PS Congratulations to Michael Blowen and company for having Gulch move to Old Friends; he'll be hangin' out with his son Wallenda along with a whole roster of talented, famous and very special horses. What a coup for the farm!! Well done, Michael!!!

22 Dec 2009 10:41 PM
Greg J.

Needler in Virginia,

Bravo for Mentioning Gulch living out his years with Mr. Blowen at Old Friends, He could not have found a better home...

23 Dec 2009 12:01 AM
Villanova Rules

Steve - you were close and thank you for having the guts to rank all the moments - everyone in this day and age are afraid to throw an opinion out.  Birdstone winning the Belmont should have been ranked higher.  You are a New Yorker.  If Smarty Jones won, this city (which I live in now and did then) would have been in a tizzy.  Much like the '94 Rangers Cup win and the '96 Yankees win WS.  They were moments you never forget and you never saw coming.  Smarty winning the Belmont would have made NYC what it was when Damon Runyon lived.

23 Dec 2009 1:16 AM
Steve Haskin

Leaving out Monarchos' Derby was a mistake. It was indeed a very memorable Derby, and to be honest. I thought it was on there and only now realized it wasn't. My screw-up.

23 Dec 2009 1:56 AM
BELLWETHER

MOE GOOD STUFF...THANKS...HAPPY DAYS AHEAD FOR THE GREATEST GAME ON "DIRT"!!!...

23 Dec 2009 5:24 AM
da3hoss

I was always sad FuPeg had such a tough rest of the season...such a gorgeous horse.

23 Dec 2009 6:57 AM
Serena

Still wiping away tears.  Thank you for these gifts Steve! Some of these races happened before sites like the Bloodhorse were downloading videos for us to replay so it was soooo  nice to see them today.  I could not watch Big Brown's race only because of the ending. It's hard to say exactly how these should be ranked (and I don't really believe they should be as they are ALL terrific)  But I have to say that both fillies' races -- moreso than the colts -- were a bit more thrilling.  Even knowing the outcome of the races, those two had the power to make my heart pound harder and faster.  And of all the memorable lines -- and there certainly were plenty of them -- this one is this one touches me the most:  "and it is all Barbaro"   I think that it's easier to look back on his races and not feel the same sense of anguish that surrounds the Eight Belles tragedy. Perhaps it's because she was so shockingly and swiftly taken from us....but Barbaro's entire story played out for everyone over many months. We followed him and, like a terminally ill human, when the end got closer, we were able to prepare for that sadness.  It's a little easier that way.  So watching these exciting TC races brought back some poignant and sweet memories as well as some wistful thoughts of what might have been.   Thank you, thank you, thank you!    Happy Holidays to you Steve and to your family and to all the racing fans out there who take the time to contribute to these blogs.  All the best!  And maybe 2010 will be  "THE YEAR"

23 Dec 2009 9:04 AM
Coldfacts

Steve, I think Giacomo, Mine That Bird and Monarcho could occupy a slot. Giacomo won the derby with only a maiden victory to his credit. I think his feat was only bettered by Sir Barton who won as maiden in what was his first start as a 3YO. All the horses on your list were either stake or multiple stakes winners prior to their TC campaign. Mine That Bird’s acceleration though a small opening on the rails left the Churchill Downs fans speechless. Monarchos ran the second fastest derby in history and remains one of only two winners to break 2:00 for the distance.

I think the two horses below could be dropped for two of the three above:-

Barbaro: His derby was impressive but not spectacular. The mile split for his derby (1:37.02) is the third slowest for the decade. The Mine That Bird/Smatry Jones derbies run a muddy track were slower (1:37.49/1:37.35) but those were recorded on muddy tracks. Barbaro’s fastest last quarter for the decade is directly linked to the slow mile spilt. MTB’s last to first was certainly more spectacular than Barbaro’s forwardly place trip.

Fusaichi Pegasus: Recorded the second fastest time for the decade (2:01.12) His 2-3 lengths victory as a 2-1 favorite cannot be considered to be impressive. Monarchos closed fast following the fastest 6F in derby history (1:09.25) compared to the (1:10.86) for the Fusaichi Pegasus Derby.

23 Dec 2009 9:06 AM
txhorsefan

How tough to come up with a list of only ten!  These were all memorable races for sure, but like others have noted, may not fall in the same order for everyone because each particular race has a different impact on a person from their own unique perspective.  That you have the task to put your top ten on the line for all of us to critique, argue or agree with is no easy task.  Because I fell so hard for Barbaro, his Derby would be higher on my own personal list, as I do feel like he was our Triple Crown winner of the decade, but on the other hand I am so glad you included Fusaichi Pegasus because his Derby got me fired up for racing and he's often overlooked.  I'm enjoying everyone else's comments and memories also - thanks for sharing, all!  Happy Holidays!

23 Dec 2009 9:12 AM
Don

Steve,

After reading all the responses  from other bloggers and your own admission that you omitted Monarchos' 2001 Kentucky Derby Victory, I have nothing to write, except to say that Monarchos' run was second only to the Immortal Secretariat's and should have been included.

Any chance of including it now on your list; even if it's #11?

Thanks for all the great memories of watching these magnificent horses!

Have a Happy and Healthy 2010 Steve, and everyone.

23 Dec 2009 11:18 AM
Zookeeper

This was a difficult task Mr. Haskin and I think you did a very good job. Faced with the same challenge, I would still be staring at all the options, forever changing the order of finish.

I agree that Monarchos' Derby should be on the list and for those who like to read I recommend his breeder Jim Squires' book: Horse of a Different Color. It's fantastic.

Serena, I'm with you... let 2010 be THE YEAR! The last decade gave us such memorable moments let's see what the new one has in store for us!

23 Dec 2009 11:19 AM
MRO

Although it is off topic, I also want to comment on the news Gulch will live out his retirement at Old Friends. How completely, utterly, and totally fabulous for all involved. Can't wait to see him!

23 Dec 2009 12:00 PM
Jon

Pretty good list, although I would add Monarcho's KD win, move Big Brown down or remove it altogether-just becasue he raced from the far gate doesnt equate to a high ranking, especially since that particular year there wasnt much competition and, sorry, he raced on steriods. Barbaro deserves much higher-at least above Rachael. I don't think Fu Peg was memorable but MTB was-it was a remarkable win, especially if you watched the race in person and saw where he was at the first turn. Happy Holidays

23 Dec 2009 12:22 PM
needler in Virginia

No problem at all, Steve, as this past decade has really been a roller coaster for racing fans; you're allowed to miss something along the way. But thanks for stepping up and adding the Mighty More Nachos to the list. I'm positive he's resting easy now that he's been remembered........SURE!! Like he cares..........

It is kind of scary, though, that we care as much as we do, don't you think? That's why the grand and glorious Gulch story is so terrific for this holiday season. His photo in the announcement newsletter from Old Friends shows a horse that has found a throne......perky, bright and full of himself. Long live the old guys that we remember for the heart- stopping moments they gave us. And long live Steve for his writing about those moments!!!

Three cheers and safe trips.

23 Dec 2009 12:39 PM
Steve

Mine That Bird was the most memorable Triple Crown moment for me this decade.  All of us who were watching it at my house couldn't stop laughing.  First and only time I laughed about the Derby outcome.

Giacomo's Derby is a close second.  Didn't laugh about that one though because I so badly wanted Bellamy Road to win.  I've since learned not to get too invested in any horse winning that particular race.

23 Dec 2009 12:59 PM
Steve Haskin

Monarchos has been added.

23 Dec 2009 1:23 PM
anne

I just watched those first 3 videos, and I just cant watch anymore....Im all teary eyed.

23 Dec 2009 2:02 PM
Alex the Great!

I think the thing I love the most about Alex's win was how he pinned his ears at the other horse! When you see it happen, it's funny! It's like he's yelling "Dude! WTF! You tryin' to kill me here! Get outta my way, I gotta a race to win!" Fabulous, absolutely fabulous!

23 Dec 2009 2:09 PM
Mike

For me it was Sarava winning the 2002 Belmont Stakes.  I had the winning ticket, a $1.00 exacta and I chickened out on a $210  Trifecta box which would have paid $12,000.

23 Dec 2009 3:57 PM
katherine

good for rags, but it was a real snails pace that day, thats probably the only reason she won. as for barbaro, i still get chills watching him run the fastest last quarter since secretariat. R.I.P bobby. in his preakness, the caller sounds heartbroken.

23 Dec 2009 4:28 PM
katherine

just watching alexs preakness, no wonder hes first, i saw him literally come flying from the back. and to recover from that fall! wow.

23 Dec 2009 4:33 PM
rick

"and Street Sense, is coming with the slides in the center of the track...Street Sense and Curlin, now emerging to the front...Hard Spun, CP West, with one furlong to go!Calvin Borel, and Street Sense, the Kentucky Derby winner...Curlin COURAGEOUS, and chasing home!!!....Curlin on the outside, Curlin's courageous, Street Sense trying to hold....PHOTO FINISH!! it could go to Curlin!"

nuff said!

23 Dec 2009 8:04 PM
txhorsefan

Zookeeper, Horse of A Different Color definitely is a great book and I gained a great deal more respect for Monarchos after reading it, as well as learning so much more about the whole breeding industry.  Mr. Squires sense of humor made it such a quick read as well.  I'm hoping to add The Headless Horsemen to my library after Christmas.

23 Dec 2009 11:06 PM
Cougar II

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Funny Cide's Preakness - may not deserve to be included on the list, but a memorable one, what with the winning margin and Jose Santos showing his empty hand to put to rest the "buzzer" controversy from the Derby.

24 Dec 2009 2:10 AM
Glassoniongirl

Where`s Mine That Bird? That had to be one of the best recent races I`ve seen.

The list is very well put together though, and I agree Afleet Alex`s Preakness is definately 1st.

24 Dec 2009 1:21 PM
EIGHTBELLESLEGACY.NET

Mine That Bird deserves a shout with his rail skimming aerial view 50-1 shot nascar run winning the 2009 Kentucky Derby stunning everyone after a rough start, he settles in relaxing in the back of the pack near last,and then he kicks into a gear rarely seen bolting past every horse sweeping the field to a 6 3/4 length victory > his name might as well have been WHOTHEHELLISTHAT

The little horse that could

www.youtube.com/watch

Happy Holidays to all!

EIGHTBELLESLEGACY.NET

24 Dec 2009 1:41 PM
Ehawlz

I'm surprised that you left out Mine that Bird's performance in the Derby, I found it to be a very memorable, and exciting performance.  The fact that he went off at 50-1 made it even better.

I'm not a fan, personally of Curlin, but I do agree on his preakness win being on the list.  That was a good one.

24 Dec 2009 11:35 PM
Tony

I watched them all except the 2004 Belmont. I just can't bring myself to watch that race. Smarty wins this race by 15 to 20 lengths if Bailey and Solis rode to win. Smarty Jones belongs at the top of the list. No other horse on that list has done more for the racing industry than Smarty Jones.

27 Dec 2009 8:04 AM
Horswld

Steve,

I was there in the infield watching Afleet Alex's trip. When he gathered himself and ran past Scrappy T, he pinned his ears and seemed to glance at him as if to say "No, you did NOT just trip me!!! Well this ones for you...(with a flick of a tail) See ya!"  One of the greatest moments in sports ever.

I truely think that Afleet Alex's Belmont should be included somewhere because that race was one of the most impressive triple crown races that I've had the pleasure to see also. The way he wove in and out of traffic, his turn of foot, there was just no stopping him. Your eyes just automatically went right to him. Total domination of a race. Wow!

27 Dec 2009 7:44 PM
Soldier Course

Tony:

Wonderful comment about Smarty Jones. And so true.

27 Dec 2009 10:56 PM
Audra

Every time I see Afleet Alex's Preakness.....I am just amazed at how he stayed on his feet, won, then came back 3 weeks later and blew everyone away. WOW!

27 Dec 2009 11:42 PM
Redfoxdogs

I'd like to see Monarchos' video added to the list, I don't see how anyone could forget that horse!  Wish he could have stayed healthy and run more.

28 Dec 2009 12:18 AM
the_wiz

I'd move up Curlin's Preakness, Smarty Jone's Preakness, and Point Given's Belmont past Big Brown's Derby for the fact Big Brown just didn't have much competition to beat, and the 20 hole wasn't much of a handicap for a horse with his speed allowing him to get to the front without much effort. I'd also put Funny Cides Derby on the list being he was a NY bred and gelding that broke two "curses" in one shot.

28 Dec 2009 12:25 PM
Sharon

I'm so disappointed that Monarchos' Derby isn't included in the videos!  What a horse, the second fastest Derby ever, and he is left out.  And how can anyone forget Mine That Bird?

29 Dec 2009 12:56 AM
JTaylor76

everyone forgets about Afleet Alex's performance in the Belmont!!!

29 Dec 2009 12:20 PM
DerbyDean

Don't blame Scrappy T for nearly bringing Afleet Alex down in that preakness.  Srappy T's jockey (Ramon Dominguez)hit him so hard in the under belly with his whip that the poor horse flinched. Dominguez is lucky the horse didn't throw him.

29 Dec 2009 4:37 PM
OldFashionedRunner

All amazing moments! But I believe you have forgotten one major goosebump moment. Barbaro winning the KY Derby by a margin not seen in many years. Brings goosebumps to me whenever I think of it. :)

I was there for the farewell ceremony for Zenyatta and the sound of the crowd made me go deaf, but I screamed along with them as Zenyatta made her final gallop from the top of the final turn before the stretch to the other side of the grand stands. It was amazing. She responded to the crowds call and when her jockey mounted, the roar grew by a thousand. Something I will NEVER forget for as long as I live.

29 Dec 2009 10:00 PM
Fran Loszynski

Alex and Jeremy and Tim Ritchey knew what they had to do that day even with the unexpected Afleet Alex -a horse with heart and love and courage--they had trained a champion athelete, they had ridden with precision and courage, and Afleet Alex had Alex Scott in the saddle holding on to both of them. Go Alex! Something we will never see again should be remembered. Great pick as always Steve, fine tribute!

04 Jan 2010 7:19 AM
Rachelfan

Thanks for finding this incredible videos. I absolutely love to watch Barbaro's Derby, Rachel's Preakness was outstanding and Rags to Riches will always be one of my favorite racehorses ever. Loved watching them!

16 Jan 2010 9:04 PM
Shelley Deuso

Where is Zenyatta?  She did just as good as Rachel and Rags.

01 Apr 2010 7:16 PM
mine that bird faN

50-1?.  this was the best kentucky derby ever in the history. i can watch it over and over.  i love mine that bird.  hurray for the little guy!

14 Apr 2010 9:06 AM
derbyfan

mine that bird in the kentucky derby was the best derby i have ever seen and i can't remember the last one i didn't see!.. he was clear out in front before the announcer even realized his name! i loved watching him and wish him the best.

24 Apr 2010 3:23 PM