Energetic Curlin Holds Court

Scott Blasi, assistant to Steve Asmussen, on the pony Pancho. (Photo Credit: Michele MacDonald) As the Muslim call to morning prayer drifted over the Nad Al Sheba barn area from a nearby mosque and the sky started to brighten,  Curlin began Tuesday feeling "pretty happy with himself."

A day after his last workout for the Dubai World Cup (UAE-I), he was ready to do more, said Scott Blasi, who has spent the last month tending only to Curlin, satisfying the colt's every need and keeping him focused on the task that lies ahead.

Following their established routine of walking around the barn the day after a workout, Curlin was pulling and tugging on Blasi, who used the word "energetic" to describe his charge.

"He came out of his work great," he said, shaking his head slightly with the awe inspired by this horse who seems to handle every challenge with ease.

But all that energy in the big red body was kept bottled, and Curlin went back into his spacious stall - about 1 ½ times the size of those at American racetracks - to receive admirers rather than flex his muscles.

Curlin's principal owner, Jess Jackson, his wife, Barbara, and two of their children, Katie and Chris, who arrived in Dubai Monday night, collected special passes that only those connected to the World Cup runners can acquire to visit the restricted quarantine barn area. Accompanied by Jackson's bloodstock agent, John Moynihan, they ventured into the barn to see the chestnut horse they hope will create a racing legend, beginning Saturday night in the desert.

Blasi said he keeps a cache of peppermints on hand for such occasions, and noted that the Jacksons also brought apples for Curlin's pony companion, Pancho.

"They hadn't seen him in a while, and I think they enjoyed themselves," Blasi said. "They flew to New Orleans twice this winter just to see him (when he was training at the Fair Grounds). I think they're enjoying this whole experience - this kind of horse doesn't come around too often."

GOLD STAR FARM

GOOD LUCK, CURLIN !!!!

THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING YOU.

YOU ARE THE BEST HORSE, GO GET'EM.

MR. PROSPECTOR AND DEPUTY MINISTER WILL BE PROUD OF YOU NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS SATURDAY NIGHT, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PROVE NOTHING TO NOBODY.

YOU ARE, " I AM LEGEND".

GOD BLESS, GOOD LUCK TO ALL INVOLVED IN THIS ADVENTURE.

EMG

BUNNELL, FLORIDA

25 Mar 2008 12:52 PM
Kyle Stasierowski

If Curlin wins the Dubai World Cup and Pyro wins the Kentucky Derby then Steve Asmussen should get the Eclipse Award for top trainer in 2008. Especially if Curlin also wins the Breeders'Cup Classic again.

25 Mar 2008 1:32 PM
Brenda M

Go get'em Big Guy!!!

Everyone will be watching and rootin' you on.

I hope you do awesome and make us even more proud of you(if that's possible!)

25 Mar 2008 1:49 PM
Mike Corbin

Well Armed !!!!  You go guy !!!

I am a huge Tiznow fan and his daddy is proud of him !!!  All of us in California are roooting for you... you look just awesome !!

Mike,

San Clemente, Calif.

25 Mar 2008 2:18 PM
Sewabastion

next stop - Winners circle.

25 Mar 2008 2:36 PM
Marta Scardina

Looking for Well Armed to upset the big guy...  He looks terrific

on the track @ Nad Al Sheba...

He can relax on the front end and

score...  will be hoping for the upset...  good luck and come home safe !!!

Marta,

Mission Viejo, Calif

25 Mar 2008 2:40 PM
Joyce VB

Go Curlin!!! I think all of America is pulling for you!! I'm in Florida and you are the talk of the state. Go Curlin!!!

25 Mar 2008 2:49 PM
Monica V

I fell in love with Curlin last year when he ran in Arkansas.  I could tell he was something special.  He is so beautiful and so talented.  I know he will win the World Cup.  He has the look of Eagles.  Fantastic Horse!

25 Mar 2008 3:21 PM
FJ

Even though I am a Street Sense fan I am pulling for Curlin to break Cigar's record. I'm still upset about the Preakness though, we had him!! Good luck Curlin.

25 Mar 2008 4:16 PM
Gregg Anderson

A lot of people here in the Dallas/

Ft.Worth area knows what's going

to happen Sat the 29 0f March...

Lone Star park will be cheering and

may your long strides in the final 400 yards put everybody in total

AWE.....GOOD LUCK

25 Mar 2008 5:00 PM
Jeff Marquez____ Marquez Brothers Stable

Truly A special horse. Wishing  Curlin and team the best of luck and a good trip around the track.... God Bless

25 Mar 2008 5:09 PM
Annie

CurlinI saw you race at Belmont Park and you are a beautiful horse.

I wish you and Robby good luck in this race.  He will hand ride you and you will win this race.

GOOD LUCK CURLIN

25 Mar 2008 6:22 PM
eugene levey

"SCOTT"  I ALWAYS LIKED THE WAY U HANDLED "CURLIN" ANOTHER GREAT TRAINING JOB...

25 Mar 2008 6:31 PM
Chase

I LOVE YOU CURLIN!!!!!!  Good luck in Dubai!!!!!!!!!!  Me and all my friends are rooting for you from here in Maryland, like we were coming into the Preakness!!

25 Mar 2008 6:49 PM
Lynne

Curlin, God Speed. Come home safely. You are truly America's National Treasure.

25 Mar 2008 7:16 PM
christy tate

i say good luck to all of the American horses in dubai. may nobody get hurt and may everyone have a safe trip home. will be rooting for Curlin in the world cup. Go Big Red! Go USA!

25 Mar 2008 7:16 PM
M1Slew

Leave it all on the Track !! Bring it home for the Home Team...

25 Mar 2008 10:19 PM
Cheryl

Good Luck Curlin & Robby --- and of course The Entire Curlin Team!! More importantly, BE SAFE and come home in good health!! Thank You Scott for taking such great care of our boy!!!

I LOVE YOU BEAUTIFUL BOY CURLIN!!!

Cheryl

However, KICK some BUTT gorgeous boy!!   :>)

26 Mar 2008 12:30 AM
Cheri Curlin's Fan

Thank you so much Jess Jackson for letting us have a bit longer with this extraordinary horse. We absolutely love Curlin and look forward to seeing him carve out his rightful place in the record books. I saw Curlin at the Belmont Stakes saddling paddock and he took my breath away. I hope to see him again. Best of luck Curlin. Go get them big boy!!

26 Mar 2008 10:42 AM
Libby

I've been a fan of Curlin for awhile now and I am really excited about the Dubai Cup! Thank-you Scott and Carmen for taking such good care of the big fellow!

Hurry back to the USA after your win in Dubai!

26 Mar 2008 11:43 AM
Tanya

Hi there,

I am looking for race photos of my daughter's now horse Tiznow's Vineyard.  If anyone has some please email me at duckhuntingfamily@att.net.  Thank you sooooooooo much!!!!!

16 Apr 2008 6:00 PM