Handsome Is ... Curlin

The powerful looking Curlin. (Photo Credit: Michele MacDonald)An informal poll of the three Dubai Racing Club officials who have spent the most time observing the 97 horses from 14 countries who are slated to compete on Saturday's Dubai World Cup program has resulted in Curlin being chosen as the most impressive physical specimen at Nad Al Sheba.

Following are the officials and their comments:

Jim Cornes, stables coordinator, who hails from upstate New York and began his career in racing working for Hall of Fame trainer Woody Stephens - "Curlin, by far," he declared. "He's just a head turner."

Feargal Cooper, a native of County Wexford, Ireland, and a former stable manager for top Irish trainer Jim Bolger before moving to Dubai, where he now is manager of the International Stable at Nad Al Sheba - "Curlin. He is a very powerful looking horse." Well Armed (Photo Credit: Michele MacDonald)

Only Toni Hodge, who came to Dubai from her homeland in England to work as an exercise rider and who now is the manager of the Dubai World Cup quarantine complex, dissented. "Well Armed. He would be my favorite," she said of the big bay American challenger, requesting that her choice not be disclosed while Scott Blasi, the assistant trainer for Curlin, was in the building that houses her office.

Perry D

CURLIN looks super. he reminds me of SECRETARIAT in his prime.

25 Mar 2008 2:09 PM
Mindy Corbin

Well Armed looks to be the best looking challenger for Curlin... He too, looks amazing !!!  I wish him the best and am rooting for him for the upset...

25 Mar 2008 2:13 PM
John McD

Secretariat looking, look at some old videos and you will see not even close. Then look at the times the races were run in, Secretariat would not have lost to a filly. He looks like a good horse lets leave it at that.

25 Mar 2008 2:38 PM
Stevie Belmont

He is an amazing physical speciman. He looks the best he has ever been right now. He will be tough to deal with on Saturday. Very.

25 Mar 2008 2:38 PM
WDK

Working for Coady Photography @ Oaklawn Park I was able to chronicle Curlin as a three year old during his time there. I've seen some really good horses even some of the so-called "greats" of our time and they just don't come close. To do what what he has done without " re-gressing " or " bouncing " like so many good horse have, speaks volumes of his sheer ability. By the looks of his recent photos I would say he's 1100-1200lbs, Just a beast.

Yea he does have a Sec. look to him, just imagine if he had a heart of the same size.He would be Unstoppable

25 Mar 2008 2:50 PM
Chrissie79

Secretariat is my favorite horse of all time -- in my opinion the greatest ever. I agree that Curlin bears a striking resemblance, and I have watched all the videos and viewed all the photographs. No one is saying Curlin is on par with Secretariat, but when a horse equals the Preakness record in only his fifth lifetime start and winds up Horse of the Year, I'd say that's super impressive. Don't you all want to see another superstar? I sure do. Go Curlin!!!!!

25 Mar 2008 3:41 PM
ctgreyhound

Curlin and Rags to Riches - now there's a couple!

25 Mar 2008 4:10 PM
WDK

Yea Curlin is a striking horse for sure. He and Secretariat are similar in many ways. Personaly though I don't compare the two. Well I don't compare any to Sec, You can't. His heart was so massive it gave him such an advantage among all the other horse's. Being able to pump 2-3 times more oxygenated blood into your muscle's, gives you an almost unfair advantage against everyone else.

Thats why I think if you gave Curlin Sec's heart he would be unstoppable. His size and speed, the ability to handle almost any surface. Horses like that don't just fall from the sky...lol

25 Mar 2008 4:31 PM
hcb

Maybe Curlin does have a heart as big as Secretariat's. How would we know? Has he had an MRI or something? For sure, he is a good looking horse. Good luck!!

25 Mar 2008 5:17 PM
A. N. Safyurtlu

Curlin is a very good horse and I hope he will win in Dubai.

Unfortunately comparisons with Secretariat are not supported by any statistics.

25 Mar 2008 6:08 PM
tanzkd

Like I said at the Breeders Cup  at the paddock in the rain " GO CURLIN, GO CURLIN!

25 Mar 2008 6:39 PM
Sammy Spider

I love Curlin. He is has the chance to be a great horse but I still think that if he had run 10 races again Street Sense, the margin would be slim either way.

GO CURLIN, GO USA!!!

25 Mar 2008 6:57 PM
christy tate

I think Curlin is an awesome looking horse. One of the most beautiful in the world. Definitely a world class Thoroughbred. Wish I had a horse like him.

25 Mar 2008 7:24 PM
Anette E

Except for color, Curlin and Sec are quite different in type and style.  As a racehorse, I see similarities with Affirmed.  All three have been awesome and the horse of their times.  Secretariat has stats that make him a standout for all times. Sometimes these comparisons of horses that are separated by a wide divide of time become rather meaningless conjecture.  Curlin in arguably the best of his generation and we are blessed that he is running as a four year old.

25 Mar 2008 8:44 PM
Chris Watts

put on top of JALIL,PREMIUM TAP & AP ARROW for exacta

25 Mar 2008 8:44 PM
Bellwether

he's just what our people hope we find soon...bit of a FREAK!!!...good luck to Curlin & his people...

26 Mar 2008 1:17 AM
Tom Malloy

Curlin's good, but he's not as good as Invasor.

26 Mar 2008 7:49 AM
Kelly E.

Curlin is a really nice horse.  How can you fault him for his defeat to "the Queen" Rags to Riches?  However, I just don't think he is of the caliber of Cigar or Silver Charm who came over to Dubai and proved themselves to be horses for the ages.  I will, however, be rooting for Curlin this weekend!

26 Mar 2008 8:49 AM
LDP

People we are not saying that Curlin is Secretariat, we are just saying in ways the are similar to one another. Nobody can recreate the great Secretariat, you can't recreate any of the greats, but you can compare. To me, Curlin looks like Sec., but honestly I would like to compare him racing wise with Cigar. Both are absolutly fantastic horses, with talent to spare, and both are ultra cosistant. Either way you go you've got to admit Curlin is one of the all time greats, not just a "good" horse. Good luck Curlin, show the world what your make of.

26 Mar 2008 9:46 AM
Clarice G.

I love Curlin and wish him the best in his 4 year old year.  I hope he does beat Cigar's record money earnings.  I also think he let R to R win cause he's a gentleman.

03 Apr 2008 12:05 PM