Preakness Picks

First, let me begin by saying there are no sure things in horse racing. We'll all been around long enough to know this. The most overused phrase in handicapping is undoubtedly, "He's a lock." If somebody tells you this, walk the other way.

With that being said, if Big Brown should lose the Preakness, I would be shocked. He is just too fast and talented, and the others are a very average crop. If Big Brown had come out of the Kentucky Derby a little shaky, I would try to beat him. But based on observations of people who have seen him, he looks every bit as good as he did at Churchill.

In this case, I'm not buying the "bounce" theory. I just don't see him losing. But since he was installed as the 1-2 morning line favorite, this race isn't about finding the winner - it's about who to play underneath.

And that's where things get tricky. Earlier in the week I saw a quote from Hey Byrn's trainer Eddie Plesa, Jr. that I thought was right on the money: "It looks to me that if you take out Big Brown than you could run the rest of those horses 10 times and probably have six different winners. It looks like most of the 3-year-olds are pretty equal."

In other words, Big Brown wins easily and take your guess who is going to slop up for second, third and fourth. With that being said, here's my best effort at filling out exotics.

Pretenders

Gayego: I think I'm one of the few who doesn't like this horse's chances. I guess I don't like his running style. He will probably be right off the pace in the early going, but guess who else is likely to be stalking? Big Brown. Post 12 doesn't help either.

Giant Moon: Beat up on New York-breds last year. Big deal.

Hey Byrn: Holy Bull field was very weak. All he has done besides that is win a couple allowances races. Post 13? No thanks.

Macho Again: Has never won over 7 ½ furlongs. Hasn't been close in two graded stakes efforts.

Stevil: Only has a maiden win to show for six starts. Ran his best race on Poly. Could he slop up for third or fourth? I guess. But I like others better.

Tres Borrachos: I guess he could improve off of Arkansas Derby. But he's not fast enough. Somehow I see him stopping at the top of the lane.

Contenders - For 2nd, 3rd and 4th

Behindatthebar: Seems to be getting better every race. I like that he can close ground late.

Icabad Crane: I always prefer horses that like the track. Bottom of exotics possible.

Kentucky Bear: Baker is talking a big game. Do you believe him? I'm going to play him just for the fact that Jamie "All I ride are longshot winners" Theriot, is aboard.

Riley Tucker: His best have come on Poly, but he always tries. I could see him making a late move. Zayat and Mott too. You can't toss him.

Racecar Rhapsody: Also could be flying late. He's the kind who closes out supers.

Yankee Bravo: If anyone can give Big Brown a scare, I think it's him. He has faced the stiffest competition of these and always seems to hang around. I'm convinced if he doesn't get stopped mid-stretch in Santa Anita Derby he at least gets second. Wasn't bad in the La. Derby either.

Here's how I'm going to play this race:

$2 trifecta 7/ 3,4,5,6,8,10/3,4,5,6,8,10 ($60)

$1 superfecta 7/ 3,4,5,6,8,10/3,4,5,6,8,10/3,4,5,6,8,10 ($100)

Also, keep an eye on the show pool. This race is likely to bring out the "bridge jumpers", and if Big Brown happens to run out of the money, you could clean up by putting a few bucks on your top horse to finish in the money. As I said, my top choice in this scenario is Yankee Bravo.

Good luck!!

Mike from Ossineke, MI

I don't like BB here.  2 weeks not enough recoup time for BB.  Watch out for Hey Byrn, could run big here in spite of post.

15 May 2008 12:18 PM
Billy D.

I like Big Brown to win, Key BB in a tri over (in no particular order) Yankee Bravo, Gayego, Giant Moon & Hey Byrn. You have to respect horses that have won at the distance and at the track.

15 May 2008 1:15 PM
Tom from Arlington Hts., IL

Two weeks ago, we were hearing that BB didn't have enough experience...that three races wasn't enough.  He couldn't overcome the 20 post.  And now we're hearing two weeks isn't enough recoup time?  Why was it enough for Smarty Jones, Silver Charm, Real Quiet, War Emblem and so many others?  Don't remember anyone questioning two weeks for Barbaro.

15 May 2008 1:22 PM
Jason Shandler

Tom: I was one of the ones who didnt think 3 races leading up to the Derby was enough. But the 2-week layoff isnt a concern for me. This horse was good enough to come back the following day and beat these.

15 May 2008 1:27 PM
Drew

I like Yankee Bravo as well...nobody is beating Big Brown

15 May 2008 2:01 PM
Deb

Here we go again!  After a week of discussing the issues with the sport - the weak breeding and the inability to sustain a racing career, Big Brown connections will officially announce his retirement after this season.  I like the horse.  Love all horses.  But I hope he does not win this Triple Crown.  Let's move these three races back until they're four or five.  Maybe then there will be incentive to build a stronger, more durable horse.  One that will be around long enough to attract fans back to the track.

15 May 2008 2:11 PM
TC

Wait, so you don't like Gayego's running style, but point out the fact that his is the same as Big Brown? So two stalkers can't both run well in the same race?

Gayego ran huge enough to bounce out of the Arkansas Derby, plus add his horrible trip. He'll be a player here, and as you say he'll be right next to Big Brown, the perfect spot, he might be the only one that tries the winner, if Big Brown does in fact win.

Add to that. Big Brown may bounce, he may get stuck on the inside where he'll get his first taste of dirt, he may also dislike the going, or get too cocky of a ride, which might cost him if some other horse decides he isn't average anymore.

15 May 2008 2:16 PM
Jason Shandler

TC: You may be right. Gayego could be in the mix. But you have to throw out some of these, and as the 8-1 second choice, he's a toss for me. We shall see.

15 May 2008 2:20 PM
Marc W

I won't bet anyone except BB on top. I am now a believer. I wish Gayego wasn't running -I gave him a big shot in the Derby and he was never in it, but this field is weak except BB, which made me love an exactor and tri wheels with Giant Moon. Had he not been inside he was a sure 3rd in the Wood-you could see he hated the inside and stopped trying. I think he has an upside ---and again this field is weak-the price will be right.

Years ago I worked with Reade Baker in the Calc Room at Woodbine and Fort Erie, and considered him a friend at the time, so I am rooting for him. He has an unknown quantity that really raced well in the Blue Grass. Rooting for and betting and betting to win are different. If I was going to throw another in it would be the Derby Trial winner.

I'll take a stand against the others I didn't mention above although you can't really fault the chances of Behindatthebar in the ticket, but if he is 1-2-3 I won't be cashing.

15 May 2008 3:30 PM
Wanda

I agree with you, tough to bet against BB.I'm betting a 10$ EX Box 7\8,10. A 10$ PL,SHOW on 10 just because I think he's a grinder and has as much of a chance of running second as anybody else.I have to comment on Deb's remark.This has nothing to do with how sound he is,it has to do with money.They will get a better deal now than later.You need  more people like Mr Jackson in the game. He could of retired Curlin last year but didn't. Now we get to see a Horse of the Year run one more year.

15 May 2008 3:54 PM
elizabeth

i think this year big brown can pull it off and be a triple crown winner he is something else but casino drive is going 2 b hard 2 beat

15 May 2008 4:40 PM
Easy Goer

Have to agree with you Deb.  With all the discussion these past two weeks as to what ails the breeding industry, here we go again with another talented horse whisked away to the breeding shed after barely breaking a sweat.  Hard to get too exited about any horse whose career consists of 7 or 8 races, regardless of how good he/she may be.  Something has got to change.  As they say, it is all too apparent that once again cash is king.

15 May 2008 4:44 PM
elizabeth

i ment in the belmont

15 May 2008 4:45 PM
SeanGOP

What does this bet mean?  I know what the trifecta and superfecta are, but I am unsure how this one plays out.  Some help?

$2 trifecta

7/3,4,5,6,8,10/3,4,5,6,8,10 ($60)

$1 superfecta

7/3,4,5,6,8,10/3,4,5,6,8,10/3,4,5,6,8,10 ($100)

15 May 2008 6:40 PM
Ranagulzion

Without a doubt this is the long awaited year of the next Triple Crown Winner.  I expect Big Brown to win by ten lengths and still have a ton in hand for the Belmont, paying further tribute to the ill-fated flying filly Eight Belles which was good enough to get within five lengths of the Derby winner.  Gayego got boxed in badly and did not run his race in the Derby and if rated properly he should be second.  I like the confidence of Kentucky Bears connection and select him for third place ahead of Todd Pletcher's polytrack horse Behindatthebar.

15 May 2008 7:49 PM
Adopted Spartan

Who really cares about this week? Big Brown probably is worth all the hype to go to the Belmont looking for the Triple Crown, but, and that but, has bitten many horses lately, Casino is the real deal.  You cannot argue breeding, rest, speed, stamina, and any other item you wish to argue, the road to the TC goes thru the Casino

15 May 2008 8:33 PM
craftylord

Let's start with the obvious.  We know Big Brown is the fastest horse in the race (again!).  He'll win with a move on the rail on the far turn. I bet Desormeaux doesn't even hit this horse cause he knows he needs to save something for the Belmont (versus Casino Drive).  Let's look for the horses(s) that will fill the bottom of the exotics.

After some analysis, I've noticed the three year olds don't have dominant speed horses that can wire a field at distances over a mile (except for Big Brown).  Just about every stakes race has been won by a closer or stalker.  I suspect alot of these upper tier three year olds are sprinters and grass/Polytrack milers.  I'm going to throw out the speed horses in this race and look for a late stalker or closer to get up for second/third.  I'm leaning towards Macho Again, Gayego and Hey Byrn for 2nd spot.  I'll throw in Behindatthebar, Racecar Rhapsody, Riley Tucker for 3rd.  Include Racecar Rhapsody in your superfectas because of his running style.  He's usually the one running hardest at the end of the race.

Another observation for this race is that most of these horses haven't even won at the allowance n1x race!  This is a Grade 1 race at a distance of ground.  How would you bet this race if it was a n1x or n2x?  I'm sure some of these "contenders" would have longer odds.  This race might be as easy as Big Brown/Gayego/All.

15 May 2008 9:52 PM
Antman

I think 2 horses stand out,  BB and Yankee Bravo

My Bet will be $100 straight exacta 7/4 then a superfecta 7/4/all/6 and a 7/4/6/all.  Racecar was absolutely flying at the end of the lexington, if if goes another 1/6 he wins going away.  JMO.  Then I will do a 4/6/all tri and a 4/all/6 tri and if BB falters I might see box cars.  Good Luck everyone.

15 May 2008 9:56 PM
Matthew W

The thing about the Belmont is, the best horse MAY NOT get the distance---'cuz 1 1/2 in dirt is really a specialty distance--no way do I think 'Brownie" is the best horse--but the Japanese horse is better bred for the Belmont--KENT DIDN'T MINCE HIS WORDS--and to whomever thinks Curlin ducks anyone: You don't know racing!! Curlin is the kind! All class!! Curlin ducks no one---not that I'll back him vs Big Brown, I just think somebody's checking his/her respect at the keyboard!

15 May 2008 10:11 PM
predict

Craftylord said it, and I'll repeat it , this race could be as easy as Big Brown, Gayego , all. I'll play a large straight exacta of Big Brown with Gayego, I can't see any of the others beating either of these two. Gayego looks like he was bred to win the Preakness, too bad he was born in the same year as Big Brown. As for third I'll avoid making the "all" bet , not enough value, and I'll play a straight tri.....of Big Brown with Gayego with Icabad Crane, probably 20 times.

15 May 2008 11:59 PM
Justahunch

Who cares. Just read there is no chance BB will run as a 4 year old. I only want to support and get enthusiastic about horses that will help create interest in the sport. The sport cannot continue to be of interest if there are no long term heroes. Those who are in this biz solely for the bucks do not get my backing. They are bad for the sport in the long run. In all honesty, I really don't know who to back in the Preakness, but here's hoping that the Casino Drive people plan on a longer, more supportive career after he wins the Belmont.

16 May 2008 1:32 AM
KYLLRE

I hate to say it, but as much as the sport needs a hero right now, Seattle Slew will remain the only undefeated Triple Crown winner in history. Big Brown gets beat by Gayego on Saturday.

16 May 2008 2:24 AM
draynot

Hard to bet against the Big Ole Browneye here. Gotta like Kentucky Bear and Racecar Rhapsody underneath. I'll put those 2 in the 2 and 3 slot, one of them will end up in either. BB/KB $ RR/ All,

BB/ All/KB @ RR. Play it multiple times.

One thing for sure is that if he wins the Triple Crown Big Brown will be relagated to being one of the best 3 yr olds in history and not one of the best horses of all time. The best ever belongs to an animal who exibits greatness over a LONG period of time not just one year. What a shame to end such a promising career  in the name of the all mighty buck and deny the fans if this comes to fruition.

16 May 2008 7:57 AM
draynay

Matthew.... I will put my money on the Derby and Preakness winner for the Belmont ... and you can put yours on the horse that beat Mint Lane.

Curlin is a great horse but if Big Brown was to show up at Santa Anita for the BC... I promise you Curlin wouldn't show.

16 May 2008 9:18 AM
tw2

Jason, its great to see that you still like my Kentucky derby future bet "Yankee bravo" who ended up as a mere wannabe.

But why not put him in the top spot? If the speed falls apart someone will have to finish them off. one of these years, a closer will win off the pace in the Preakness, why not this time around?

I bet against Barbaro in 2006, collected a 3k tri, i'll try once more against this odds-on bad boy hoping that he bounces for the first time. there's always a first time, right.

16 May 2008 10:00 AM
John Lex, KY

Like i've said before.  I think BB will bounce, and if he does, he sure won't be in the Bel.  I said b4 it was announced, that you would not see him as a 4yr old anyway.  He needs a few months layoff if he is going to amount to anything in the fall.

Consider though, since his stud deal has fallen through, I wont name the connections, he will be pushed VERY hard in the preakness to win and revive his demand for stud duty at the over-inflated price they want to sell b4 the belmont where he has no shot.

Either way, it is not looking good for BB.  If he is all out in the preak and wins, u MAY only see one more race out of him and it won't be a win.  If he loses, he def will not be in the belmont and u will be lucky to see him in a fall race.

His all out push is his only chance for a win SAT, but Hey Byrn, Yankee, and Gayego are not going to give him the race. I say he's finished after tomorrow.

16 May 2008 10:34 AM
Jason Shandler

TW2: I do like Yankee Bravo, but I dont think there is enough early speed in the race to have things set up for him to win. That being said, you make a good point. I will probably use him in on top in one or two plays.

Also, there are a lot of Gayego fans out there. If you guys think this race is as easy as Big Brown/Gayego/All, you better play it multiple times because that tri will probably pay less than $80 for a $2 bet. I cant bring myself to play chalk over chalk.

16 May 2008 11:31 AM
Marc W

BOUNCE???????? Are all these people trainers? I have trained in a small way-2 horses over 35 years and certainly not an expert at it BUT there are many that are. If a top trainer isn't seeing anything wrong with his horse why do SO MANY FANS AND HANDICAPPERS think they know it all? Most have never been on the backstretch that use that term. It is one of the most overused word in racing.

A good trainer knows his horse and what to do to keep him right. Zito-Birdstone-small horse needed time between races. Carry Back ran 21 times as a 2yr and won the Derby and Preakness along with bushels of money for the era.

Please drop this "Bounce" talk. AND for the record, one of my horses was a cheap speed horse and in the days before as winter racing I ran him 3 times in 8 days at 4 1/2F the first two were 2 days apart he won both. He finished 3rd the next time to another horse that was coming back on 3 days rest off a win.

Track condition and surface-fevers-nervous,washing out , soreness, bad shipping trip, et., et., et., are are much more viable reasons for a poor performance than a "BOUNCE"!

16 May 2008 12:08 PM
draynay

Jason... not enough early speed ?  What do you call Tres Borrachos, Big Brown, and Gayego ???  You think Big Brown has any interest in slow fractions?  This race will be much faster than the Derby.  Big Brown wins this by 10 and at the bottom I will have Yankee Bravo, Stevil, and Tres Borrachos.

16 May 2008 12:18 PM
Jason Shandler

Draynay: Tres Borrachos isnt that fast. Look at the numbers. He is not a true speed horse. He broke his maiden by running a :47.23 half, and even in the Ark Derby the splits were that impressive.

Other than his maiden win, Gayego hasnt gone straight to the lead in any of his six starts and he probably wont do it from the 12 post here.

Yes, Big Brown is fast. I can see him wiring this very average field. So that is why I say the race doesnt setup for a closer, on paper.

16 May 2008 12:25 PM
Wanda

Question for Draynay.Do you have inside imfo about Curlin that the rest of us don't know about?Jason can you get some sort of comment from Steve A.about what's the plan for Curlin? I said this the other day,the connections of Curlin are not ducking anyone and the BC is five months away. A lot can happen to a horse in five months and yes I know what I'm talking about.

16 May 2008 12:58 PM
Rivercitysmitty

Can`t see anyone beating Big Brown, but can`t bet him at 2-5 either. Looks like a good spot to make some small exacta boxes on others and a few dollar tri boxes. Then kick back and drink a few Blue Moons and watch the race knowing the odds are against me winning anything. I`ll have Yankee Bravo, Racecar Rhap., Riley T and a few others in combos and expect to lose my 40 or 50 bucks, but hey, ya never know.

16 May 2008 1:00 PM
Jason Shandler

Rivercitysmitty: I like your philosophy. Not a bad way to attack the race.

16 May 2008 1:08 PM
Jason Shandler

Youre right Wanda. Draynay is living in a Big Brown fantasyland. Asmussen isnt ducking anyone.

16 May 2008 1:09 PM
Jason Shandler

With Behindatthebar out, I am now going to use Macho Again in his place.

16 May 2008 3:14 PM
Wanda

Just had a moment to respond. Jason,that made me laugh out loud! Thanks for the giggle.I'm still going to bet Riley Tucker PL,SHOW.The more I go over his race record the more I see him up there for a minor piece of the purse.He seems to run on any surface and trys his guts out every time.One other thing,fast times in a horse race happen when the first 3/8 and the last 3/8 are run quick Any horse that gets an easy front will back up to go an easy 3/8.Any good rider will only use that speed if he has to.If BB can get an easy front,KD will sit chilly till he has to use him if at all.So I disagree with Draynay they will not run all that fast. If the horse can get the job done easy,there won't be any track record.

16 May 2008 3:25 PM
Jason Shandler

Dutrow just went on record as saying he also doesnt think there is much speed in the race and BB might go right to the front.

16 May 2008 3:35 PM
draynay

There is no reason not to go the lead and run these second class citizens into the ground. So Wanda... are you telling me Curlin would meet Big Brown at Santa Anita ? Lol... I hope it happens I would love to cash another easy BB ticket.

16 May 2008 3:58 PM
Wanda

Draynay what's your background in regards to horse racing? Just curious.

16 May 2008 4:07 PM
draynay

My first Derby was in 1969. I have been a fan ever since. The only major track I have yet to visit is Saratoga. My five favorite horses ...Native Dancer, Majestic Prince, Secretariat, Spectacular Bid, and Big Brown. I know an athlete when I see one and Big Brown is very special.

16 May 2008 5:23 PM
Jason Shandler

Draynay: No excuse not to go to Saratoga. Take a weekend off from your Vegas partying and get to the Spa!! lol

16 May 2008 5:32 PM
Irv

Throw out the rank Gayego.. I still can't forgive the way he took out Adriano in the Derby...

16 May 2008 9:27 PM
draynay

Lol...not this year but next year I will be at the Spa opening day.

Ok Jason here is how I am going to spend my 500 bucks. I am going for the gusto....

10 dollar pick 6 (7th race-12th)

5/2,12/8/4,6/4/7 = 40.00

20 dollar pick 4 (9th - 12th)

8/4,6/4/7 = 40.00

400 dollar double (11th-12th)

4/7  Bear Now and Big Brown

10 dollar Super 12th race

7/4/2,8 = 20.00

There you go .. there is my 500 bucks... I like Yankee Bravo to finish about 10 lengths behind Big Brown... Good Luck !

16 May 2008 11:29 PM
Bryce Be Quick

Yes, I can see BB wiring this race and if he doesn't, in honor of Draynay failing to list the immortal Buckpasser on his all-time list (and ironically, it was quarter cracks like BB's which kept Buck off the Triple Crown Trail in 1966), there goes two of Buck's Boys, Racecar Rhapsody and Stevil, flying down the Preakness stretch, and please throw in H.G. Motion's Icabad Crane (with Buck twice in the top of the pedigree) in the bottom of your exotics-- unlike my other H.G. Motion-trained buddy and 19th place finisher in the Derby, Adriano, at least this guy has shown he likes the Old Hilltop surface in  winning the Tesio. As for Adriano, he picks up where Showing Up got started in 2006, by winning the Colonial Turf Cup come June? "My Old Kentucky Home" a nice Stephen Foster tune, but it's the  U.S. Naval Academy Glee Club singing the Confederate rabble lyrics of "Maryland My Maryland" before the running of the Preakness which places the lump in this throat.

16 May 2008 11:50 PM
Jason Shandler

Draynay: Looks good. You are certainly putting a lot of faith on Bear Now. This is not how I would normally play, but because this is a head-to-head contest and all I have to do is beat you, my strategy has differed. Here are my picks:

Race 3: $40 WPS 7 = $120

$5 EX 3,7/all = $60

Race 4: $40 win 9 = $40

$2 EX box 9/all = $40

Race 6: $100 show 3 = $100

Race 8: $14 win 2 = $14

$1 EX Box 2,5,6,12 = $12

Race 12: $1 tri 7/all/all = $110

17 May 2008 12:02 AM
Phileboy

I saw the Florida race and still didn't believe he'd win before the Derby. I wasn't a believer then -- but I am now and seeing Big Brown needs to get hit by lightning to lose, whose gonna finish behind him? The two horses with the biggest upside are: Macho Uno, off a gutsy win in last . . . and Ichabod Crane, with a top flight trainer and distance pedigree and a win on the track, to boot. Using them both in the second slot -- with Yankee Bravo and Kentucky Bear in the third slot; will add Gayego and Riley Tucker to round out my supers. Good luck, everyone!

17 May 2008 1:24 AM

Race 12 - $1 TRI BOX 6,8,11,13; $1 Tri Key 7/6,8,11,13

Race 13 - $1 Ex Box 3, 5, 6, 7

Add it up - it is 500.

Good luck to everyone.

17 May 2008 2:18 AM
draynay

Manoa Tommy... I am like you, I did the whole card and betting with 500 is kind of strange...but fun!

I do have a few questions...

4th Race you like the 6 and he couldn't beat 10k claimers at Laurel...why do you like him... I like the 1...

5th Race you went for the 3 horse and the trainer is 0-14 and doesn't seem to have a clue...again I like the 1.

9th Race... you really threw me a curve ball...Indy Joe? If Indy Joe beats Force Freeze I will never bet another race....lol....

I think speed is going to hold today we shall see....good luck.

17 May 2008 9:40 AM
Manoa Tommy

draynay - I am a value player.

Race 4 is a State Bred Race - my figs tell me the 6.

Figs tell me the same in 5 & 9.

I am not a chalk player, but good luck to you.

Good luck to everybody today.

17 May 2008 10:19 AM
Manoa Tommy

draynay - LS & OP do not make a horse. Loose on the lead does not make a horse. That is your more in depth response to Race 9.

17 May 2008 10:33 AM
ilwacocapper

1.00 early pick 4 1-7-11/6-7/2-3/1-5-7 36.00 late pic 4 1-3-9/2-4-8/2-7-9/7-8-12 81.00 race 12 2.00 tri 7-8-12/2-3-4-7-8-12/1-2-3-4-7-8-9-12 180.00 1.00 super 7-8-12/3-4-7-8-12/3-4-7-8-9-12/2-3-4-7-8-9-12 192.00 and 19.00 to win on 8 total 500.00

17 May 2008 10:53 AM
jbpegasus

Lets make it simple.

7/6,11,12 in any combination.

for the super add 1,4,13 to the 4th position

17 May 2008 12:07 PM
Wanda

Here's my picks for the 500 bucks. 100$ EX 7-8.100$ TRI 7-8-10. 300$ SHOW 10.All in the Preakness.I know it's lame but I didn't get a program last night,and I'm super busy at work today.I'll be lucky if I can watch the race! Hey good luck everyone.

17 May 2008 1:11 PM
Phileboy

Where's the love? I posted the triple cold -- on this very blog, last night! (As Casey Stengel used to say, "You can look it up," this time, by simply scrolling back. I smashed 'em!!! Too bad for me I had $3 supers -- with four different horses in the fourth position -- and didn't use the No. 6, for a $2400 ticket. Still, all and all, a very nice day!

17 May 2008 9:40 PM
Jason Shandler

Nice job Phileboy. I also had the tri. If you see in my comments, I moved macho again into the mix only b/c Behindatthebar was scratched. Sometimes it pays to be lucky. I also should had the super.

17 May 2008 9:51 PM
Phileboy

Thanks, Jason. Like your blog . . . By the way, a lot can happen in three weeks and nothing is for certain, but if 12 enter the Belmont, what odds will you be able to get on Casino Drive at post time -- and how much do you reckon a Casino Drive/Big Brown exacta might pay?

17 May 2008 10:09 PM
Jason Shandler

Phileboy: BB should be 1-5 or lower in Belmont and I imagine Casino Drive will somewhere about 5 or 6-1. The exacta w/ Casino Drive on top might be about $30.

17 May 2008 11:04 PM
kaye goodwin

its about time the U.S.A. brought in drug free racing,,,,too many tragedies,,,,,,too many flops,,,,poor Big Brown,,,,didnt get his monthly dose,,,,flopped,,,,,what international breeder wants to breed to a 50 million dollar stallion that can only run on 'roids ?? or lasix ?? poor horses,,poor eight bells,,,poor big brown,,,what a disgrace ,,, no drug regulations,,,no horse.

08 Jun 2008 6:03 AM