History of a Different Kind

The 2010 Triple Crown season has produced a couple of worthy winners with good stories behind them, but it also left us without a Triple Crown winner for yet another year.

Not only that, but for the second straight year we will also have a different winner in all three of the classics. And with Dublin now out, we won't even a have a single horse that has started in all three races. Disappointing, I know.

With Ice Box and First Dude the only two horses pointing toward the Belmont that have hit the board in the first two legs of Triple Crown, it got a few of us here at Blood-Horse to thinking: When was the last time nine different horses finished in the money in all three classic races?

After some diligent research by executive editor Evan Hammonds and especially TrueNicks sales and marketing manager Ian Tapp, we found out that it has been a while--a long while.

It last happened in 1926 when Bubbling Over, Baggenbaggage, Rock Man, Display, Blondin, Mars, Crusader, Espino, Haste all hit the board. The year before that it also happened when Flying Ebony, Captain Hal, Son of John, Coventry, Backbone, Almadel, American Flag, Dangerous, Swope were all in the money.

• 2006 (Bluegrass Cat, twice)
  • 2004 (Smarty Jones, 3x)
  • 1984 (Swale, twice)
  • 1982 (Gato Del Sol, twice)
  • 1981 (Pleasant Colony, 3x)
  • 1980 (Genuine Risk, 3x)
  • 1968 (Forward Pass, 3x)
  • 1955 (Nashua, 3x)
  • 1951 (Counterpoint, twice)
  • 1948 (Citation, 3x)
  • 1941 (Whirlaway, 3x)
  • 1933 (Head Play, twice)
  • 1932 (Burgoo King, twice)
  • 1930 (Gallant Fox, 3x)
  • 1929 (African, twice)
  • 1928 (Toro, twice)
  • 1927 (Whiskery, twice)
  • 1924 (Mad Play, twice)

The chances that both Ice Box and First Dude finish out of the money in the Belmont are probably not very good since they will likely go off as the two favorites, but it certainly could happen. And if it does, at least we will have a little bit of history made during this Triple Crown season.

It may not be what we wanted, but hey, at least it's something.

rlassbuck

I like First Dude a lot, he ran a heck of a Preakness!  And the way Ice Box closed in the Derby makes me think that he could put his two cents worth into the Belmont as well.  those are my favorites

20 May 2010 1:42 PM
jayjay

Being a longshot player, I don't mind if this history repeats itself and I hit it :)

I doubt it though as I really think that IceBox will probably win the race pulling away from MMFM and Stay Put.

I still will play a combo without the favorites just cause you brought up this little history!

20 May 2010 1:52 PM
ukkmac

Not sure what the point of listing the horses that have hit the board more than once in the Triple Crown? Maybe I was seening things, but Mine That Bird hit the board twice by winning the Derby and running second in the Preakness. The definition of hitting the board includes winnning the race so leaving out the Triple Crown winners was also a mistake. Nice article other than the mistakes.

20 May 2010 1:54 PM
Jason Shandler

ukkmac: Try to follow along. I know it's tough:

The key words are "nine different."

Also,  since 1920 there have been 18 times when only one horse (in parenthesis) hit the board more than once.

The keys words (notice the bold type) are "only one." Last year, Mine That Bird was not the only horse to hit the board in the three Triple Crown races.

Anyone home?

20 May 2010 2:02 PM
Jimmy

Mine That Bird actually hit the board in all three races, with a third place finish in the Belmont.

20 May 2010 2:05 PM
Jason Shandler

Jimmy: See above. Geez.

20 May 2010 2:08 PM
Ian Tapp

The reason this is interesting is because it doesn't happen very often... 9 different horses hitting the board during the Triple Crown? As Jason says, since 1920 it's only happened twice, in 1925 and 1926. 2009 could be the first time since then with 9 different horses. This phenomenon might suggest a 3yo crop lacking depth.

20 May 2010 2:12 PM
jayjay

Maybe I'm missing it too but if you were right, then Afleet Alex, Point Given, Thunder Gulch, Risen Star, Funny Cide, War Emblem, Sunday Silence, Tabasco Cat and probably more should be included in the list as they all hit the board at least twice in the TC races (including the win.)

It is intriguing about that 9 different horses hitting the board in all 3 races.  Is it the same scenario as this year though ? or did the belmont field back then never had any derby or preakness runners in the field ?

20 May 2010 2:15 PM
mz

Jason: don't worry.  Some of us get it.

And I have to agree that unfortunately, it looks like the way this TC is going, the only interest we can have is baseball-like -- becoming more involved with stats than what's happening in front of our faces.

p.s.  I still wish one of the fillies would have tried this Belmont -- seems like a great opportunity.

20 May 2010 2:17 PM
Jason Shandler

Oh no JayJay, not you too? Ted from LA, where are you when I need you??

20 May 2010 2:22 PM

Jason: we need charts.

With colours.

And maybe some music in the backround .. but NOT Pearl Jam.  Sorry.  I'm not a fan.  Got any Beatles music?

20 May 2010 2:25 PM
jayjay

LOL, now I get it...thanks for the explanation Jason.  That really makes it more intriguing.

Mike Smith riding Dross in the Belmont, now I have to consider that horse again...that's a great jock switch even though Mike S is 0 for 12 in this leg.

20 May 2010 2:27 PM
mr pibb

Jason,

Do you get the sense that this column is a bit confusing to alot of readers here? (don't fret I got the drift)Maybe just going back to the old Zen vs RA battle would be better. At least you'd get your 1000 responses.

20 May 2010 2:29 PM
Tim G

ROFLMAO. I think these guys have ADHD or something. Man this is like a test of who reads your blogs and who skims and extrapolates. I think that happens a lot.

I know I always read the full blog and always read whichever comments I want to respond to. Guess that's why it comes off different than I mean it? I take most of it seriously and think people commenting are actually reading what I write. Wrong!

I thought they're reading what you write especially Jason, guess not.

20 May 2010 2:31 PM
Kay

Poor Jason <g>. It makes sense if folks just think about it. Do you happen to know how many times we haven't had at least one horse who started in all three? That's probably asking for more trouble...

20 May 2010 2:33 PM
Jason Shandler

lol Mr. Pibb: I have taken the opinions of five different people in the office to see if I worded it wrong or if it is confusing. All five said they understood it perfectly. What is the confusing part?

I guess I will have to go back to Q & As and polls to dumb thsi blog down a little :)

20 May 2010 2:34 PM
Afleet Alexandra

Some people don't read carefully enough...Let's take some of Jayhay's examples of horses that "should" have been on the list, namely Sunday Silence and Afleet Alex. It is true that both horses hit the board in all three races. But they were not the ONLY horses that year that did it in more than one of the races. In Sunday Silence's case, Easy Goer also did hit in all three(second in Derby, Preakness, win in Belmont). As for Afleet Alex, who was third in the Derby, but won the other two, Giacomo also hit the board in two races (win in Derby, third in preakness). So, neither was the ONLY horse that year to hit in more than one of the races.

20 May 2010 2:34 PM
Jason Shandler

Thanks Afleet Alexandra. Maybe your explanation will help.

Kay: Dont you dare!! We are having enough trouble as it is now!

20 May 2010 2:37 PM
mz

Hey Jason: if you're going to allow us to get back to the RA vs. Zan battle (PLEEEEZZZEEE no more) because this blog is too cerebral for us, then can I bring up something that has now become stuck in my mind from the TB Bloggers Alliance Blog "I Blame Trainers..."?

A reference was made to using DNA to clone greats of the past and have them run again.

I said Vampire-Secretariat sort of scares me.

Now, however, in the interests of shutting the barn door once and for all, I suggest we get a race together with RA, Zen and Vampire- Ruffian and get that stupid who-is-the-best out of the way once and for all!!!

Then we can get back to asking you how come you never noticed that eg Northern Dancer, Alydar, Smarty Jones, and some others all hit the board on each of the TC races and what's your point in this blog.

20 May 2010 2:45 PM
Zookeeper

This is so confusing that one blogger thinks this is still 2009. JASON, your response to the comments were the best part of this. I can just see you tearing your hair out! lol!

20 May 2010 2:54 PM
Greg J.

Jason,

Interesting, Don't really understand the confusion though?

Ukkmac,

First off, Mine that Bird hit the board in all three races, Not two, Like Jason stated, He wasn't the only one, Musket Man also hit the board in the Derby and Preakness...

20 May 2010 2:54 PM
mr pibb

I got a better one. Do you know how many times draynay has picked at least one winner of a Triple Crown Race in a year that WASN'T the first or second choice in the race?

That's what I call dumbing it down Jason. Everybody knows that answer is a big fat 0!!

20 May 2010 2:55 PM
jayjay

OK OK...I get it now!  but Tim...what's ADHD ??

20 May 2010 2:58 PM
Billy's Empire

OK Ok, the reading comprehension classes will begin right after the Gamblers Annonymous class. My name is Billy, and I am hooked on phonics.

20 May 2010 3:01 PM
Tim G

"There have been 18 times when ONLY ONE horse has hit the board in the three races. Am I going crazy??"

LOL If you're not crazy some of these guys will drive you there in a chauffeured limo.

"Since 1920 there have been 18 times when only one horse (in parenthesis) hit the board more than once:"

Surely if they didn't get one they got the other??

Good thing we don't know their real names.LOL

Hmm, left hand brain?

20 May 2010 3:07 PM
Tim G

The really funny thing is you ran this by all the staff. I'm betting even Jaxson will get the concept.

20 May 2010 3:09 PM
SlewBaby

Why should the NYRA even bother to hold the Belmont Stakes anymore.  The race is virtually pointless and means nothing.  Some of the so called best horses (Rachel Alexandra, Bernardini, etc...) in the past 10 years have bypassed the "test of champions" so they can rest and be better champions in some easier race at a shorter distance...  Does this make sense.?? And without a triple crown on the line--what's the point.???  Obviously some of the best horses in the past 10 years had connections who did not feel their great champions could handle running a mile and a half and survive the rest of the year.  What kind of a champion is that,  exactly.??????  Can anyone imagine if Rachel Alexandra had run in the Belmont Stakes and WON.  That filly would never have to run another race for the rest of her life--she would have been immortalized and immeidately inducted into the racing Hall of Fame.  Even if she had finished second or third--she still would have gone down as one of the greatest fillys of all time for winning two-thirds of the triple crown--something no filly has ever done.  That would have been more amazing than watching her deperately hold off the allowance-caliber Macho Again in the Woodward--how ridiculous!  They should change the distance of the Belmont Stakes to 6 furlongs and hold it at Aqueduct--maybe then more Preakness winners will go on to the Bekmont Stakes instead of dropping in for a one-race-wonder and skipping the Belmont..  There is no competitive nature in this sport anymore.

20 May 2010 3:37 PM
mz

Jayjay: ADHD = Always Does Hear Draynay.  It's a condition arising from reading many of these blogs.  No matter how much you try, you keep hearing: "I won on that horse".  Usually its a retroactive condition.  Sometimes, it's accompanied by a braying sound: "Rachel is better than..." or, in previous years: "Big Brown is better than...."

You need drugs or alcohol to feel better.

20 May 2010 3:45 PM
Tiznowbaby

SlewBaby, I am confused (although not by Jason):

If Rachel had finished second or third in the Belmont, how would she have won two-thirds of the Triple Crown.

On a slightly different note, I think Birdstone is a reminder that this is a breeders' race as he threw Mine That Bird and Summer Bird.

20 May 2010 4:05 PM
ChrisV

Ice Box or First Dude may hit the board, but Zito's other horse Fly Down is sitting on another big effort.  He'll likley be third choice, and will certainly be no surprise here.  Also, watch out for Uptowncharlybrown, off since the Lexington, who has been training beuatifully for Kiaran McLaughlin.

20 May 2010 4:42 PM
Freetex

I have to ask how you feel about Mine That Bird being moved from Wooley to Lucas?

20 May 2010 4:43 PM
leenza

I think your commenters have become lazy at reading closely. All they saw was "hit the board more than once," and they instantly had to defend the great champions of the past, as if you'd forgotten their accomplishments. I'll admit I had to reread a few sentences to understand what you were saying, but it was more of a confusion with trying to comprehend the idea of nine different horses than the way you worded it.

20 May 2010 4:43 PM
Greg J.

SlewBaby,

So by you logic, Mine that Bird WON the Triple Crown last year?   Stop the presses!!!

20 May 2010 4:46 PM
It Aint Easy being good

Maybe if I was 5 beers deep this article would make sense! lol! This belmont is brutal this year might as well be 2006 all over this year!

20 May 2010 4:48 PM
Mokey

Genuine Risk the only girl would have won two legs of the Triple Crown if Codex didn't bump and make her go wide. Temp. Hill was just a fresher horse then she was.

But to be honest I hope the fact that horses are skipping the Belmont that they don't shorten it to try to draw more horses. I fell it's still a great test of horses, and understand that nobody that won the first two can win much for going...Big Sandy needs the help!

20 May 2010 4:52 PM
Tim G

jayjay. ADHD is the appropriate acronym for the diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

Commonly referred to as ADD by lay people.

20 May 2010 5:16 PM
Ted from LA

Jason,

Not to worry.  I have your back.  The last time three different horses all hit board in one triple crown race, Who was first, What was second, and I Don't Know was third.

20 May 2010 5:28 PM
Footlick

Jason- I almost did it too, but I reread it to make sure because I didn't see Run Dusty Run on the list-lol.  Glad I reread it and understood.

20 May 2010 6:10 PM
Greg J.

I highly doubt New Madrid will still be pointed to the Belmont after finishing 5th today, I will say this, Keep your eye on the colt that won that race, Kindergarden Kid(Dynaformer/Amelia), He is a big colt with a great stride.  This was his second straight win in three starts, He went off at 7-1 odds which was nice!  His last race on the turf at 1 3/8 miles. He will make his mark this summer, Just watch...

20 May 2010 7:16 PM
Draynay aka handicapping LEGEND.

I understood exactly what you were saying Jason because I am a genius and a legend.  However, First Dude stands above all of the remaining horses and will only have to fight off a tough closing Fly Down.  It really is a 2 horse race.  By the way you picked Brass Hat to win? Chalk eater.  Telling is the horse I will key and box 4 others for the Super.  Telling ran behind brisk fractions going 1 1/16th to get in shape for this one.  The AP Indy horse will see much slower fractions and will enjoy the added distance.  Look who takes over for the race, enough said.  Listen to the Legend!

20 May 2010 7:31 PM
txhorsefan

Jason, those statistics are kind of hard to get my brain around at first, I'll admit, but pretty amazing when I think of it.  So far, this has definitely been an interesting TC trail, but I'm one  who thinks the Belmont will still be a good race to see what shakes out next.  The way things have gone so far this year, who knows?  Winslow Homer is back in training, so anything can happen, right?

Oh, and I think Kay asked a legitimate question. :)

20 May 2010 7:34 PM
jayjay

LOL...thanks mz (I prefer your definition) and thanks Tim!  I actually know what it means...my wife has ADD.  In fact, she wasn't payin attention when I proposed to her but by the time she realized what the question was....

As for NYRA, I don't know how that can happen.  I thought NorCal has problems but it seems like NYRA just flat out messed up.  I hope they can sort it out.  I like betting the Belmont and Aqueduct races and I hope the state can help dig them out of this hole.

20 May 2010 7:37 PM
jim

this makes my handicapping easy since there is only one dual qualifier(Super Saver & Lookin At Lucky were both dual qualifiers) left thats "Make Music For Me", now all i have to concentrate on who will finish 2nd & 3rd, since Dude & Ice wont make it for the trifecta.

20 May 2010 8:11 PM
Pedigree Shelly

It still breaks my heart thinking of the 1984 Belmont when Swale won , I dont know what happened to him in the Preakness ? I thought he had a good chance at the TC :(

20 May 2010 8:20 PM
jayjay

If this history does repeat itself, then I'll play MMFM with StayPut / Fly Down and Stately Victor for exacta, trifecta and superfecta although for the tri and super, I'll probably box all four.

Now back to reality, I think IceBox will win going away, with MMFM / Stay Put / Stately Victor and Fly Down trying to catch up.  First Dude will probably fade to 4th or 5th...I'm sure I'll throw him in but I'm still worried about a bounce so I'll have to watch the parade again.  If he's really special, then he can get over running those fractions and hanging tough for 2nd but he had a lot of rest prior to the Preakness so maybe he'll need more rest before he can run like that again.

If ANYONE thinks First Dude is a LOCK for the Belmont, I challenge them...if First Dude doesn't win, they have to wear a purple dress and a purple hat that says "I can't pick a winner!"

20 May 2010 8:35 PM
predict

gee, first you can't give out a winning super, and win yourself, and now this, a blog no one understands!

Personally, the "third leg" has always been very important to me, just ask my wife.

Regardless I am just hoping you'll be giving out your super for the Belmont.

20 May 2010 8:38 PM
Pedigree Shelly

There was a horse several years ago who was 3rd in each TC race ! I just cant remember his name :(

20 May 2010 9:01 PM
Gary Lynn

Slay me Baby...If Rachel had run in the Belmont, HOY would have gone down the toilet...who says she can get a mile and a quarter? a mile and a half? lol

20 May 2010 9:15 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Ted from LA

I am not afraid to admit, I appreciate your candor. Abbott and Costello meet Captain Kidd, wasn't it? And what about Secretariat, if I'm not mistaken, didn't he win a Triple Crown race? Geez, I don't know about these young whippersnappers.

20 May 2010 9:16 PM
double h

Maybe Ice Box and First Dude will end up not running, then it will be nine different, could happen.

20 May 2010 9:17 PM
Draynay aka handicapping LEGEND.

Rusty I have the Calder DD worked out should you need it along with the Churchill DD for tomorrow.  The phone lines are all tied up with thousands calling to get my expert picks but if you want them just let me know on the blog.  Back to the phones I go !

20 May 2010 9:22 PM
tvnewsbadge

jshandler says "There have been 18 times when ONLY ONE horse has hit the board in the three races. Am I going crazy?"

In a word, yes. For that to have happened, only ONE horse could have crossed the finish line.

Now, if you have said "There have ONLY been 18 times when only ONE horse has hit the board in ALL three races." you would have a point.

20 May 2010 9:36 PM
Robin from Maryland

I wish MTB all the best switching barns. Hopefully he will stay sound long enough so that we can see him - he's a gusty little guy. The TC needs to stay the same, it's that way for a reason.  Will we ever see another TC champ - I hope yes, but I feel the way the draw is to get into the KD with monies earned, we sometimes don't get to see the Best horse.  But I'll still be keeping my fingers crossed.

20 May 2010 9:46 PM
Pedigree Shelly

Jason , I finally !! thought of the horse's name who finished 3rd in all the TC races

Mane Minister !

20 May 2010 10:09 PM
badtrip

elvis has left the barn

20 May 2010 10:44 PM
mz

Ted from LA and Dr. Drunkinbum: if I could only think of a way to get in a Francis-the-Talking-Mule analogy....

But I can't ... so I will only say that if there were 18 times when ONLY ONE horse hit the board in all three races, how come I'm still down?  I never saw any of those 18 horses coming and I'm mad about that.  I could have recouped all of the many dollars that I lost on the last two Derbys if someone would only have told me about this.

20 May 2010 10:44 PM
Paseana

Pedigree Shelley, I don't for the life of me know how I remembered this, and it's a little alarming actually! LOL!

The horse that finished third in all three TC races was Mane Minister.  It was in 1991, and he was third behind Strike The Gold and Best Pal in the Derby, third behind Hansel and Corporate Report in the Preakness, and checked in third behind Hansel and Strike The Gold in the Belmont.

He was a McCaffery/Toffan Kentucky homebred, and those three TC races were the only graded stakes in which he hit the board in his whole career!

And I think I have entirely too much time on my hands! LOL!

20 May 2010 10:56 PM
ruffiangirl

only time will tell about the quality of this year's 3YO crop. Are they evenly matched, no standout, soso, with whoever happens to be "on" the lucky draw winning each race? Or is there really a standout just waiting to break out... I really thought this was going to be the year of the Ladies, young and old, and while it has proved to be entertaining, I have yet to see anything I would rank in the double WOW. But then the who purpose of racing (besides winning $$ of course) is the joy of watching, enjoying, and discussing this beautiful creature that graces our tracks, and for that I will always be grateful and thankful...

20 May 2010 11:21 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Ted from LA

I concur. Oh, just a reminder, those proctology reports are due on Dr. Gillespie's desk by noon.

20 May 2010 11:32 PM
Matthew W

Derby/Preakness Secretariat by 2 1/2/Sham by eight/Our Native.....

20 May 2010 11:32 PM
Ted from LA

There are two horses sleeping in the barn - one horse is fat and one is thin.

The little horse is the son of the fat horse, but the fat horse is not the father of the thin horse.

Can you explain?

This logic test should be much easier than figuring out Jason's column this week.  If more of you had done gone to junior high school instead of hanging out at the track all those years, we wouldn't be having all these problems today.

20 May 2010 11:36 PM
Ted from LA

20 May 2010 11:43 PM
moodygirl

Jason, TVnewsbadge phrased your question better.

I have ADD, attention defecit disorder. I have no hyperactivity. I can space out while sitting around. This was not a question by someone with ADD. Jason was obviously very focused on his idea.

For those of us with ADD, I think it was difficult to understand. My brain kept shooting off someplace else (is there any ice cream in the freezer, worried thoughts about my dog who ran off after a bitch in heat, etc. etc.) as I tried to re-read Jason's post.

Jason, just a reminder: many of us out here in webland are not fully alert when reading your blog. It might be very early or very late or we might be on medication. We are not as alert as those co-workers all jacked up on coffee during their productive time of the day. Come to think of it, I never read your Blog during my productive time of day. SO CUT US SOME SLACK.

Besides, after I did understand what you were saying, I thought "What's the point?"

Does this have any significance in racing?

20 May 2010 11:54 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

tvnewsbadge

I think you got it. There lies the confusion. Brilliant !! Calls for a Guiness. You get the Analysis of the Day Award. You win a new refrigerator, or maybe an ice box.

20 May 2010 11:54 PM
jayjay

If Belmont doesn't survive, would it be bad if they run the 3rd leg at Monmouth assuming their current experiment of shorter meet actually works and they start making money ?

21 May 2010 1:10 AM
Matthew W

Stay Put worked the right way--I mean really the right way! I will use him like a shop rag! Exacta boxes with The Dude-erino! I have always liked this long fused horse, with the kick--not the perfect style for the race, I just cannot toss him....

21 May 2010 1:58 AM
Weekend Storm

Hey Jason, let me take a stab at driving everyone crazy!  There was one year that nobody could win The Triple Crown.  Name the year and why?

21 May 2010 2:11 AM
BFazz

Good article, but i was more entertaining seeing how many of your readers didn't understand what you were saying!

21 May 2010 2:57 AM
August Song

Jason, I was sorry to read about your Preakness second guessing. We've all done that at some point or another, just maybe not $17,000 worth.

To Slew Baby, that's one of the problems with American racing today. They have tended to focus exclusively on breeding for speed, speed, and more speed. As a result, they produce short-winded, fragile specimens unable to race more than 15 - 20 times. Is the mindset now to stop running the longer races, including the Belmont, because American racehorses can't run that far? That is pretty pathetic, in my opinion.

21 May 2010 6:46 AM
Carlos n

Finally Lukas used some "horseman" sense with Dublin.I wrote a comment a few days ago(for some reason didn't make the list),suggesting what Dublin need, is a break and find out what's causing him to behave the way he does it.Ifs mentally or physique problem.Ifs in his mind,maybe they should cut(gelding) him,and they will have a nice race horse,instead of a maniac that will end up hurting some rider or exercise rider.

21 May 2010 8:09 AM
Fran Loszynski

Well needless to say-I'm sad but respect Mr. Lukas's decision. A fresh start away from all the hooplah may give Dublin the chance to catch his breath and regroup. After being spooked so much, he probably doesn't enjoy racing right now. As a fan I will always be there for him whenever he races. Well this year was not the year for Afleet Alex's young to win the Triple Crown, but it will happen. My long-time faith in Afleet Alex, his heart and courage tells me so. I hope "Afleet of Angels" does well in her upcoming races and thank you Dublin for your strength in the Derby and Preakness. On to the Haskell and a great racing career as a 4-year-old! Thank you Mr. Lukas for loving Dublin. Thank you everyone for putting up with my triple crown mania about my Dublin.

For the Belmont:  Nick Zito never dissapoints. The Belmont is his race.  ICE BOX is my pick.

21 May 2010 8:10 AM
MRO

Fascinating article as I love racing history and studying the old racing charts. I would have thought it would have been more rare to have 9 different horses place in the 3 races with the small fields of the olden days than with the 14-20 horse fields of today, but that hasn't been the case. Makes me want to spend the weekend doing a little research of my own.

21 May 2010 9:09 AM
MRO

By the way, Ice Box is my selection for June 5th.

21 May 2010 9:10 AM
ukkmac

jshandler:thank you very much for the clarification but as you can see, the article confused others as well. However, I still maintain that the point of the list is meaningless since the number of times only one horse has hit the board has reached the number 18.

21 May 2010 9:24 AM
trackjack

Jason, good article, interesting stats.  The problem with some is that they skim or don't read carefully and don't actually THINK about what is printed or said.  They want to get to their own point, not compreheding the other's.  It happens all the time in human discourse, politics and especially with hardened horse players on this blog.

I'm going to the Belmont and looking forward to a great card and a competitive Classic race.  The Belmont looks like a good betting race.  I'll have on my "I LIKE DUDE" button and will use "DUDE", Drosselmeyer and Ice Box in an exacta box.  Think about it.

21 May 2010 9:31 AM
berttheclock

@Billy's Empire, if that person attending the GA and/or Phonics meetings happened to be in Los Angeles, he would say, "Hi, I,m Bill and I represent John, who is a Phonicholic."

Stolen from an old cartoon about AA meetings.

21 May 2010 9:57 AM
Slew

I'll be watching the works over the next few weeks, but as of now, I see the first 4 as Stately Victor, First Dude, Ice Box and Fly Down.  While I love Rock Hard Ten, New Madrid finally ran in a straight line, led slow fractions, and really trailed off after a mile.  I've seen him do better.  I don't think we'll see him in the Belmont.

21 May 2010 10:50 AM
mz

berttheclock: is that a lawyer joke? No more lawyer jokes!

Ted: (a) she's his mom  (b) the rope ain't tied to anything / the rope is tied to the bale of hay / don't bug me so early in the morning.

Weekend Storm: there have been many, many years when no horse could win the TC, including this year.  However, if you mean it would be impossible for ANY horse to win the Triple Crown .. was stuff suspended for WW2?  (which, by the way, it took you guys way too long to get into ... but that's another story)

Jason: I believe scotch might help when you review this blog and try to figure out what went wrong.  I believe it was when you let in the clowns.  (I have to go now and put away my honking red nose and balloons and go to work ... as a lawyer (NO MORE JOKES!))

21 May 2010 10:57 AM
Greg J.

Weekend Storm,

1922, The Derby and Preakness were held on the same day, So it was impossible to win the Triple Crown that year.  Pillory did win the Preakness and Belmont Stakes in that year with Morvich winning the Derby...

21 May 2010 11:03 AM
JMcM

Come on,talk about the subject and leave out the insults! You can have differing opinions without putting others down.

I think that not having the top horses in the Derby and Preakness also run in the Belmont is a reason the fan base is declining. They would like some real competition between horses they've seen, not just another horse race. Where's the competitive spirit and the Champions?  Why do owners and trainers not seem to care about the history of the TC and those wanting to cheer on a memorable horse? This lack of interest is contributing to less  mainstream TV coverage too. Other sports provide not just money but heroes also.

21 May 2010 11:52 AM
Zookeeper

This has to be one of the most humorous blogs ever! My sides are hurting from laughing so hard.

Jason, This may not have been what you had in mind when you presented it but... it sure worked for me this morning! Great way to start the day.  :)

21 May 2010 11:59 AM
SlewBaby

I have one thing to say as for First Dude winning the Belmont Stakes.. I feel he ran an awesome but grueling race in the Preakness.. That tremendous Preakness effort had to take something out of him--that was a gut-wrenching run he made at Lucky--and had a head in front at one point.  I luv the horse but I think he'll fall far short in the Belmont Stakes due to that strenuous Preakness effort.  Uptowncharlybrown is the one you have to watch out for.  I liked the way he was closing in his last race on the synthetic track--more distance will definitely help this horse and a REAL dirt track will probably be to his liking.  Charlybrown is the one.  Also,  I think D.Wayne Lukas is a great trainer and will do a superb job with Mine that Bird.  If Birdie has any more winning races left in him--Lukas will get it out of him.  If MTB is a better horse at 4,  then he should be pretty exciting to watch this year and,  like I said,  Lukas will get the best out of him..  Just wondering though--has Lukas trained many gieldings.  We all know his success with the fillies, mares and colts--but what about gieldings.?  Was Criminal Type a gielding.?? Can't remember it's been so long.?

21 May 2010 12:13 PM
ginzette

I enjoyed this article... but please folks... read and re-read if you have to BEFORE you post. 18 times in 90 years? I think that's a pretty significant and interesting statistic. I'll be heading to the Belmont for the 7th time and I'm just as excited as ever!

21 May 2010 12:20 PM
tvnewsbadge

jayjay asks

"Belmont doesn't survive, would it be bad if they run the 3rd leg at Monmouth assuming their current experiment of shorter meet actually works and they start making money ?"

Yes. Even assuming the distance and timing are the same, the Triple Crown is as much about tradition as anything else.

Besides, I betcha that once they start to tinker with the location, they'll screw around with the rest of it, LIKE the distance and the timing, in order to insure a winner every year.

Best to let the TC die in glory than be corrupted.

21 May 2010 1:01 PM
TJLuvsTizs

Jason,

This article wasn't that difficult to understand.  I think you spelled it out as clearly as possible more than just once!

84 years is a long time, and within the last 4 years there has been long streaks broken.

BC Juv champ win the Derby- SS

Filly win the Belmont- R2R

3 prev. start Derby winner- BB

51-1 Derby winner- MTB

Filly win the Preakness- RA

Something has to happen this year, and maybe you are on to something!  I don't think Ice Box will do as well as he will be bet.  Fly Down, Drosselmeyer, and literally any other horse (copyright Da Tara) has a chance at stealing this one.

Maybe you will still have your chance at Superfecta redemption!

21 May 2010 2:05 PM
Householder

Paseana since your obviously a Ron M fan remember his horse he ran the same year as Mane Minister.  Sea Cadet...the horse was born without a tail.  They would ask Ron about it and his reply was "He does not seem to mind."

Hawkster, who later would hold the 1 1/2 mile record on Turf at Santa Anita, finished 5th in all 3 races.

21 May 2010 3:04 PM
Ted from LA

This one is easy.  1586.  There was no horseracing or beer in America yet.

21 May 2010 3:16 PM
OLD TIMER

This blog is certainly entertaining. Ted your questions are killing me. I assume the fat horse is the dam of the thin one. I cannot get the 15 foot problem (yet).

21 May 2010 3:52 PM
jayjay

Slew : can you post a report on the workouts and how the horses are looking ?

21 May 2010 3:54 PM
CV

"A horse is tied to a 15 ft. rope and there is a bail of hay 25 feet away from him. Yet the horse is able to eat from the bail of hay. How is this possible?"

Ted from LA 20 May 2010 11:43 PM

No problem, the horse is 20 feet long!

21 May 2010 4:34 PM
ruffiangirl

just thought I would continue the useless but intertaining information that can be used to win the free drink by answering the question pertaining to the year no one could have won the Triple Crown. Actually, there were seven 7 years that there could have been no TC winner. The Kentucky Derby has been run continuously since 1875. In 1891, 1892, & 1893 the Preakness did not take place. In 1911 & 1912 the Belmont did not race. On May 12, 1917 and again on May 13, 1922, the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes were run on the same day, which would ensure no Triple Crown winner that day. And given what I see today, I am beginning to think we will never see another one...

21 May 2010 5:01 PM
Zarkava

Ted fron LA

The fat horse is the mother of the skinny horse.

You probably forgot to tie the other end of the rope to a pole, that´s why the horse is running around eating hay.

=)

Ice Box, First Dude in the Belmont.

21 May 2010 5:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

Huh?

Dogs chasing after Bitches in heat too?

OK- Now I'm confused!!

21 May 2010 6:00 PM
Citation

Weekend Storm, I may be misunderstanding your question, but no horse could have won the Triple Crown in 1917 or 1922 because the Preakness and Derby were run the same day, and no horse could have won the Triple Crown in the years 1891-1893, 1867-1874, and 1911-1912 because one or more races in the series were not run. Anyway, I understood the article perfectly well. As an extra explanation, in 2009, Mine That Bird hit the board in multiple races, but so did Musket Man, so that year doesn't count toward the statistic in the article.

21 May 2010 6:39 PM
Pedigree Shelly

Weekend Storm , I'm not positive , but could the answer be the year 1968 when Dancer's Image was disqualified and Forward Pass was declared the winner due to a positive drug test ?

Paseana , Thank You ! I was having a brain freeze on that !

21 May 2010 7:38 PM
Ida Lee

Oh....I get it! But not going to happen...that beautiful giant First Dude is going to win the Belmont thus hitting the board twice AND will proceed to became a major star this year. P.S. I am royally pissed (can i say that?) with the Mine That Bird trainer change as I was with the Summer Bird trainer change. The Birds became Champs with Wooley and Ice and this is the thanks they get. I need to shut up before I get really ugly.

21 May 2010 8:27 PM
Ann in Lexington

Jason - using data 'since 1920' is deceiving at best. The 'Triple Crown' as we know it today wasn't around then so there was no reason to try to make all three. It wasn't until the mid-1930s that Charles Hatton coined the usage to describe those three races. The Kentucky Derby was the race for 'Western' stables (and an occasional raider) and the Preakness was a nice prep race for the NY season. Read the reports from writers of that day and you will see what I mean. The winners of the NY Triple (Withers, Belmont, Realization) were the ones who were most discussed as the best of the season.

21 May 2010 9:03 PM
Pedigree Shelly

So far , Here are my choices for the Belmont. Ice Box, First Dude and Fly Down ! Stately Victor as a Longshot . I have been looking at photos of First Dude , He looks so much like his great grandsire " Slew "

21 May 2010 10:19 PM
Pedigree Shelly

To Slew Baby , I accidently skipped over your comment , about running the Belmont at 6f !! Be careful what you wish for ! Everybody's looking for speed , a win early pedigree , and a quick return on their investment ! This is really hurting the breed ! we need to start importing stallions ( even turf sires ) that can add stamina ! PLEASE do not change the classic distances ! Change the way horses are bred ! If you like speed , start breeding Quarters !

21 May 2010 10:51 PM
PomDeTerre

Slew baby- what is your point exactly?  Have you ever heard of the Triple Crown?   Why hold the Belmont?  Oh I get it- since there won't be a TC winner, let's not bother with the 3rd leg.  I think you need to lay off the Kool Aid.  And Rachel- puleeeez.  That whole topic is SO passe that it makes last month's milk look fresh.

22 May 2010 9:08 AM
PomDeTerre

To Pedigree Shelly-

on the Swale/Preakness  issue- in his last work about 4 or 5 days before the race, he blew a 46 and change; had nothing in the tank on Saturday.

22 May 2010 9:17 AM
DAILYDBLDARBY

My key horse finished 3rd to last in the Derby and 2nd to last in the Preakness. Anybody want to know who'll finish last in the Belmont?

MY Key horse will be posted on June 4th.

22 May 2010 10:13 AM
Zookeeper

Now I'm really getting worried! 24 hours since the last comment... and still not a peep from the blog master.

JASON, is everything OK? I hope I'm just being a worrywart but I'm concerned.

22 May 2010 10:58 AM
Hildegard

Perhaps one of the most humorous comment threads ever...

If the Belmont's distance were to be changed, each winner from that point forward -- especially a TC winner -- would need as asterix attached to the win.  It wouldn't be comparable to the past.

There are so few true routes these days that the Belmont should stay as-is to truly test stamina.  It's not called the "Test of Champions" for nothing.  Horses who easily get 5, 6, 7 furlongs are a dime a dozen.  Horses who easily get 1.5 miles are a rarity.

22 May 2010 11:43 AM
Nancy

Ah Afleet Alex hit the board in all 3 races

22 May 2010 1:05 PM
moodygirl

MRO, you said you would be doing some research. Can you answer Kay's question, When was the last time no horse has competed in all 3 TC races? It's an easy question to understand and I think more interesting and possibly significant.

22 May 2010 1:26 PM
Ted from LA

Did Jason quit?  Who could blame him?

22 May 2010 1:55 PM
Secret Stuff

Okay, so I got to the debate late, but had to put my two cents in.  Slew Baby, really?  Drop the Belmont? With all the other historically named races being dropped, let's drop the one that gets and  gives horse racing national attention every year? And for all of others who say, "what's the point?"  Horse racing is history, period.  You would not have the horses you have today without those horses whose stats you so cavalierly disregard.

22 May 2010 4:32 PM
Nick Klar

I believe Curlin hit the board 3x

in 2007's Triple Crown races. Hard Spun came close(4th in the Belmont.

22 May 2010 6:53 PM
morris dale stiles

after hearing the discussion about when & why mr wayne lucas& mr bob baffert switched from quater horses to thoroughbreds, iam compeled tosay. the way it looked to some of the ole rail birds,probally the reason for them making the switch was, that they were tired of hooking c.w. bubba cascios horses in all of the stakes for quarter horses.! he was tough to beat!!!

22 May 2010 7:02 PM
morris dale stiles

there should be a way to decide who is the 2nd smartest man about a race horse,between wayne lucas & bob baffert. bubba cascio has already proven he is the number1 smartest race horse trainer in the world.

22 May 2010 7:09 PM
thomas

I see that a lot of things have changed LMAO

22 May 2010 8:27 PM
thomas

Dashing Debby and Telling OTB hmm some legend.

22 May 2010 8:32 PM
Jason Shandler

22 May 2010 10:41 PM
Ted from LA

Sorry guys. I was in N.C. at my brother's graduation. What would all of you do if you couldn't blog here? :)

I don't know.  Probably go back to my old hobby of watching pigs copulate.  Zarkava wins the contest.  Thank you all for playing along.

22 May 2010 11:12 PM
sodapopkid

Alright, What is going on with this blog?   Jason is MIA for 24 hours, the damn blog is at a stand still, That alone is enough to drive us crazy.......Jason knows better!!

Then we have these 'test your IQ questions on here,  Damn, they are a trip in themselves........Sorry, that takes to much brain work for me to get into........I will just continue to read and to heck with the comprehension aspects...........

On a more serious note,  Jason and bloggers:   I know that Gomez and the other jock had to go to the hospital and they are fine, My concern is does any one know how both horses are since the accidents??   Are both horses OK or did they suffer a fatality??

22 May 2010 11:25 PM
sodapopkid

Sorry guys. I was in N.C. at my brother's graduation. What would all of you do if you couldnt blog here? :)   Jason

Re:  Jason,  You know we cant' stand it when you dis us like that.  You could have taken the laptop to the graduation..... Yes, we have grown to your blogs.....But all jokes aside, You deserve a break away ,(as long as it aint' to many), LOL.

Where did your brother graduate from in NC??

22 May 2010 11:32 PM
GARYINSALTLAKE

So far this year, I haven't seen any horse hit the board in the triple crown races. I hope one doesn't hit the board in the Belmont either. There are too many injuries in horseracing getting attention already.

22 May 2010 11:57 PM
sherpa

Jason - you were in NC? and you didn't even wave hello :-(

22 May 2010 11:59 PM
jayjay

I broke the left button on my mouse refreshing the page all day and had to get a new one.  I searched for other blogs but couldn't find out with a clown in them...needless to say, it was a very depressing day.

On top of that, I had both Julien Couton's longshots in my pick 3 (last 3 races at GG) but purposely left out Baze in the middle leg.  I swear that Baze knows what my bets are and either wins the race if I don't have him and loses if I did.

I don't think it's my handicapping, I'm just not meant to make money off of Baze!  I hope he retires soon!!

23 May 2010 12:08 AM
sherpa

seriously Jason, it's clear a lot of people were worried about you.  Now we know why the blog wasn't updating, but YOU DIDN'T TELL US YOU'D BE AWAY!  bad form for a blog-host, y'know? ;-)

yikes, it's past midnight. good night!

23 May 2010 12:24 AM
weekendstorm

To all those who responded to my question about the year it was impossible to win the Triple Crown, I was thinking of 1922 when The Derby and Preakness were run on the same day.  I apologize for not clarifying that I wasn't including the war years ......

I'll try to do better next time!

23 May 2010 12:38 AM
weekendstorm

P.S. Thanks, Ruffiangirl, I didn't realize the Derby and Preakness were also run on the same day in 1917 - my bad.  Thanks again for the info.

23 May 2010 12:50 AM
mz

Ted: I want a re-count!  If you check my post at 10:57 am on May 21st, you would have seen that I actually had the correct answers to your test.  However, since Jason decided to take time off to honour a family member instead of paying attention to us clowns (HOW DARE HE LEAVE US), there was a time gap, causing me to lose the beer or Stanley Cup or Woodlawn Vase or whatever it was you were going to hand out as a prize.

Presuming the re-count will be handled by the same guys who re-counted your 2000 election, I hereby demand an appeal to the Supreme Court.

And since I believe that Abbott and Costello were never judges, I will ask for a panel composed of  Goucho Marx, Sammy Davis Jr. in his Laugh-In phase, and just because this is a horse racing blog, I will add Judger, who, if I am not mistaken (but I may be) ran in a couple of the Triple Crown races the same year as Arts and Letters(?)

And finally, once I win the prize I so richly deserve, I will immediately lose it all on Stately Victor for the Belmont.

Respectfully submitted.  Here come da judge.....

23 May 2010 12:52 AM
Aluminaut

Was your brother a late foal?

23 May 2010 1:00 AM
Golden Gate

Still don't get it but have enjoyed reading the comments by those that do or are trying to (-:

23 May 2010 7:57 AM
Preakness

Zito ran a short horse (Ice Box) in The Derby, and he is going to do it again in The Belmont.  One race in 11 weeks is down right stupid.

23 May 2010 8:12 AM
devilhisdue

Criminal Type went to japan for stud if I remember correct. I think he went around Sunday Silence time. I remember asking Lucas about it backside one year. The effect it would have on American bloodlines.

23 May 2010 9:17 AM
Jason Shandler

Funny comments. Yes, my brother was a late foal. He graduated from Elon University. Pretty cool campus.

23 May 2010 10:12 AM
mz

Hold on.  Maybe Judger ran the same year as Foolish Pleasure.

And if that's the case, here's another trivia question: what horse won the Belmont Stakes but not the Oscar for Best Picture?

23 May 2010 10:23 AM
Ted from LA

There has been a recount.  mz wins the contest and the $300,000 grand prize to be paid out $1.00 at a time annually over the next 300,000 years.

23 May 2010 11:41 AM
vikingblood22

"Hay," Draynay, with all due respect, please don't dismiss Ice Box; he's going to be a force to be reconned with. Good luck everyone.

23 May 2010 11:53 AM
Rachel O

Interesting stuff about all the stats and picking apart what you've said, Jason. Who cares?

I think the Belmont will be more ineresting than usual this year because there will be no Derby runners in it. I fell in love wih Ice Box and First Dude (I DO wish he had a different name, tho!) for being so gritty, determined, and courageous. I want one or the other of them to win, but if they both lose, I'll probably fall in love with the gritty, determined, courageous winner.

23 May 2010 12:16 PM
dean

What about horses in the money  for all 3 races without winning any? Two come to mind: Alydar and Mane Minister.

23 May 2010 12:17 PM
Matthew W

Morvich, Cal-bred, won the Derby the same day they ran the Preakness, obviously Chick Lang wasn't running things back then!

23 May 2010 12:54 PM
Matthew W

Judger ran the year before Foolish Pleasure--I think it was 24 horses in the '74 centennial Derby! I was rooting for Agitate (3rd), the best horse of that crop was Little Current, whom I had in the Preakness at a real nice price..he then won the Belmont, just missed in the very sloppy Travers, and lived for over thirty years....

23 May 2010 12:58 PM
Ida Lee

Hey, stay away from less than complimentary comments regarding Macho Again!! He's one of my favorite boys and obviously much more in tune to his masculine side than most of the I-don't-get-this-article cry babies. Go back to your mints Macho Baby - I have your back.

23 May 2010 1:27 PM
Greg J.

Just a head's up, Keep your eye on a three year old filly named "Flawless", In her first start, She just won by fifteen lengths at Belmont!, Yes, The field wasn't the greatest, Still impressive!  She is trained by Mr. Mott and was ridden by Kent D.

23 May 2010 1:39 PM
Greg J.

Vikingblood22,

You want Draynay to dismiss Ice Box !!!  Having Dray like a horse is the kiss of death, lol...

23 May 2010 1:45 PM
Paula Higgins

Jason, this blog is hilarous (thank you MZ and Ted from LA). If we didn't have your blog I wouldn't be laughing half as much (or learning half as much). So you fullfill a needed public service Jason.

My niece applied to Elon College and got in, but ended up at American University to the tune of $50,000 a year. My brother really wishes she had picked Elon. She wants to be a writer/journalist.

23 May 2010 1:55 PM
Pam S.

I was going to ignore this brain-teaser blog, but here's my contribution:

Horse in the money in all three TC races with no wins -- Free House, 1997.

23 May 2010 2:40 PM
LAZMANNICK

Biofuel.....the troubled longshot should-have-been winner of the BC Juvenile Fillies (finished 4th) is going in a stake today at Woodbine going 1-1/16M.  If she wins it will almost guarantee her entering some of the big summer races on the NYRA circuit.

23 May 2010 2:54 PM
LAZMANNICK

MZ

Peter Pan

23 May 2010 2:57 PM
berttheclock

"Elon University" - A mainstay of the NYT Crosswords.

@morris dale stiles, speaking of top Quarter Horse trainers, I came very close to a dustup with two hot walkers, one evening, when I was waxing about how great Woody Stephens was as a trainer.  They were miffed as they proclaimed Blaine Schvanevaldt to have no equal in horse training.

But, I still recall the shock of some LA reporters when one of them asked Terry Lipham if winning the Big Cap on Bates Motel was his biggest pay check.  Lipham didn't even hesitate to explain to one and all that he had won the $1,000,000 All-American at Ruidoso.  However, I still think many trainers in the PNW believe 6 and one half furlongs to be a distance race. Seven would be a marathon.

23 May 2010 3:02 PM
PomDeTerre

Hey everyone- I just need a moment of your indulgence as I'm still higher than a kite from this.  We gave my 4 yr old gelding (by Freud) the winter off; he'd earned it and was tired.  He went back into training in arch.  His first start this year was Friday- and the little monster wired the field at 22/1!   Got no respect from the cappers. and the fave at 8/5 was 4th, creating a bridge jumpers delight! $ 588 exacta, 2200 tri and 3600 super.  I'm still walking on air!  Love my trainer, love my jock, love that horse!  Anyways- thanks for letting me rant.

23 May 2010 3:03 PM
berttheclock

Do not change the distance for the Belmont, but, could they, please, bring back "Sidewalks of New York".

23 May 2010 4:36 PM
Pedigree Shelly

Jason , Glad your back! I figured you needed a break from Draynay and were out having some Stoli's :)

Draynay , How can you dismiss Ice Box ???  Come on now !!

23 May 2010 4:59 PM
Pedigree Shelly

Preakness , I agree that Ice Box should have a race between the Derby and the Belmont ! but, I think he'll be the winner .

Draynay , I hope I wasn't too hard on you :)

23 May 2010 5:19 PM
sherpa

PomDeTerre - Congratulations!!!  Which race? where?

23 May 2010 5:45 PM
Footlick

PomDeTerre- congrats!!!!!

23 May 2010 6:34 PM
Footlick

dean- Run Dusty Run against Seattle Slew.  2nd Derby, 3rd Preakness, 2nd Belmont I think.

23 May 2010 6:38 PM
jayjay

Nice Pom, happy for ya but how come you didn't share the news BEFORE the race :P  I could've used a 22-1 shot!!  Anyway, congrats and enjoy the winnings!

23 May 2010 6:40 PM
tcc

Jason:

Monmouth's opening weekend over 16 million was wagered on their race's.

23 May 2010 6:54 PM
jayjay

I don't see the post where Draynay dismissed IceBox...was it posted in this blog or another blog ??  I'm not complaining, just wondering if I'm missing some other comments.  As Greg J said...be happy if Draynay dismisses a horse, it means it'll hit the board :)

He dismissed IceBox in the Derby and First Dude in the Preakness !

23 May 2010 7:00 PM
Pedigree Shelly

PomDeTerre ..  Congrats !!!!

23 May 2010 7:11 PM
Draynay aka handicapping LEGEND.

Pace does not set up well for Ice Box this is two horse race between Fly Down and the new SUPERSTAR First Dude.... First Dude wins in a walk over.

23 May 2010 8:19 PM
sherpa

PomDeTerre - please forgive my gaucheness in asking which race & where your horse won.  Of course you can't say on a public blog.

<|:P

23 May 2010 9:20 PM
PomDeTerre

Thanks all!  I appreciate your tolerance.  Seriously if I'd said anything before hand, I would have jinxed it.  As it was, he was 27/1 on tote during race and we were all grinning, then there had to be a huge bet on him thru OTB that brought it down to 22, but hell, I'll take it.  The mare is running probably Memorial Day if race goes, he'll go again in probably 2/3 wks, if anyone wants to know- mare is a deep closer from 15 -20 lengths off, kinda like a certain Cali mare we all know....

On the Monmouth opening, interesting issue- yes attendence was up, but it was only 19,000 on a Saturday, and the handle inlc. OTB was less than Belmont.  Compare to Saratoga's opening day, traditionally a Wed, with 25,000 + each year.  For now it sounds like a horseman's meet. But it is nice to see that they didn't squeeze out the little guys as feared.  The NJ breds are all guaranteed 2 starts over the meet, and owners receive $ 1500 each race if their horse starts.  Smart move!

23 May 2010 10:06 PM
Citation

Ted from LA, the horse tied to the 15 foot rope problem is solved like this: The 15 foot rope is tied to a pole. The circle the horse can make is therefore 30 feet in circumference, which is enough to reach the hay.

23 May 2010 10:14 PM
RJPPDP

I think the belmont will be a fun race and I hope it is all new shooters in the top 3. I would love a fly down, game on dude, make music for me tri. It could really pay off.

23 May 2010 10:19 PM
mz

Thank you Ted.  I will donate my prize to world peace.  I figure at the end of 300k years, we will have some.

Laz: I am now humming the twilight zone theme.  I thought there was only one Belmont winner/ non Oscar winner but with your info, I now know there are two!

FYI: Avatar won in 1975/didn't win in 2010.

And thank you Matthew W for the info re: Judger.  Now I can go to sleep and count sheep instead of Derby starters.

23 May 2010 11:57 PM
Paseana

Householder....thank you!

I was sure Hawkster finished 5th in all three TC races, but I couldn't find any confirmation of it anywhere and I didn't want to post it without being able to back it up.

He did go on to set a world record at 12f in the Oak Tree Invitational, and he also has one other feather in his cap....

He is the broodmare sire of Afleet Alex!

24 May 2010 1:19 AM
Rachel O

Hm... Nobody caught me up in saying that the Belmont would have no Derby runners in it. What I meant to say was no Derby plus Preakness runners!

Side note: I'm so sorry to hear about Julien. I broke L3 once going off a jumping horse and believe me, I'd not have been able to get on a horse the next day. An L3 break is more disabling than T8. I wore a back brace and spent most of the time in bed for six months. To me, jockeys are the most gritty, determined, and courageous athletes on the planet.

24 May 2010 10:07 AM
Canz

Householder....thank you!

He is the broodmare sire of Afleet Alex!

Paseana 24 May 2010 1:19 AM

Paseana, if you are ever need can't find something regarding the TC races,

www.thetriplecrownproject.us/career.php

this is a good site.

24 May 2010 10:56 AM
Matthew W

berttheclock I thought D Wayne was better than BS back then (70's), he had way less horses/and won the stakes races--but Paul Jones is the best of them all--at least you want him to win cuz he's a good guy! But today, quarter horse racing has as much to do with what they are injecting them with as how they are training! Paul Jones is the Todd Pletcher of quarters--and from what I see and hear about Todd, they are both really nice guys....

24 May 2010 12:43 PM
Housesholder

Goldikova...She's back.

24 May 2010 1:30 PM
Householder

Hawkster still holds the world record set at 1 1/2 dirt or turf.  At age 3 (10/14/89) he ran a 2:22 and 4/5th on turf which I think is 1-2 seconds faster than Secretariat's Belmont.

24 May 2010 1:40 PM
Householder

Just another day for team McAnally in the late 80's.  Bayakoa had just won the Spinster the same day, by 11 1/2 lengths, Pat Valenzuela the regular rider of Hawkster goes A.W.O.L. no one can find him, Pincay is back east on Bayakoa and McCarron is out of town as well.  Russel Baze gets the mount on Hawkster about 2 hours before the race and had ridden him only once before.  The horse goes out to a 20 length lead.  All the jockeys think the horse is "coming back" to them.  He ends up winning by 4-5 lengths setting a new world record.

24 May 2010 1:52 PM
Slewbaby

PomDeTerre---Since thorougbreds today are not what they were in the days when a triple crown could be won--what is the point for running the Belmont Stakes.  To showcase what is wrong with the american breeding programs??, which is that america breeds sprinters--not route horses. If this isn't evident to you then I don't know what to tell you--but these racehorses today are CLEARLY not what they once were.  Todays' racehorse should run at a distance they are bred for,  and they are definitely not bred for a mile and a half.  If they were, then wouldn't there be more mile and a half stake races on the dirt.  There is a specific reason why there is only one mile and a half stake race on dirt in America--because american-bred horses aren't capable of staying the distance and that has been proved over and over again. When american horseracing gets to the 75th year without a triple crown winner,  maybe they'll start to get it.  But NO american-bred horse will ever win a triple crown ever again until they start breeding for a triple crown winner--and that's not what they do--america breeds sprinters...  I don't know of any sprinters who won a triple crown,  do you..?????  and  BTW,  I'll say whatever I want to about Rachel--SHE obviously didn't give her connections the confidence that she could go a mile and a half or she would have run in the Belmont Stakes--Face it,  they kept her in the barn last year because they were concerned about the distance and using her so early in the year.  Excuse me,  but WHAT? Using her up too early--she's a thoroughbred--she is suppose to be able to run a mile and a half or am I WRONG--Perhaps she's just a sprinter then..?? Which one is she..??????????? A router or a sprinter,  or maybe a miler???  Which category does she fit into????? We know she's not a router type because she would have blew the Woodward field away if that was the case--she barely held on by a head at a mile and an eighth... Come on!    Thank you Rachel Alexandra for helping me prove my point.

24 May 2010 2:00 PM
mz

So Slewbaby, does this mean that in about 10 years or so, you'll look forward to a Breeders Cup Marathon run at 6 furlongs? Have you never heard "if you card it, they will come"?  If you only write races for sprinters, who's gonna wanna breed for anything more?  Don't touch the Belmont!

Berttheclock: I second your motion to bring back Sidewalks of New York.

And I wish to make comments, late, on two other posts, if I may:

1.  congrats PomDeTerre.  Are you from Idaho?

2.  Laz: yay! Biofuel.  What do you think about Emburs Song? She looked good at Woodbine on the weekend.

(Oh yeah, I agree Householder, Goldikova is baaaccck!)

24 May 2010 2:44 PM
Greg J.

PomDeTerre,

A belated Congrats, Bravo!

BTW,

Just ignore Slewbaby, He is an idiot, For anyone that says we should change The Belmont to six Furlongs and hold it at Aqueduct?, Idiotic...

24 May 2010 4:01 PM
Pedigree Shelly

Slew Baby , I don't know if you follow the Dosage Index or not but, Rachel Alexandra's Dosage number of 1.55 clearly means she was bred to go a mile or longer !

24 May 2010 4:37 PM
Householder

The 1989 Santa Anita Derby was a good one.

Mr. Bolg

Flying Continental

Music Merci

Sunday Silence

Houston

Hawkster

Flying Continental would later take the Strub, San Fernando, and Jockey Gold Cup as a four year old.

Music Merci would go on to win over 1 million dollars.

Sunday Silence would take 2/3rd of the Triple Crown and Breeder's Cup Classic as a 3 year old earning him HOY.

Houston-Cost close to 3 million.  Was a bust.

Hawkster-Still holds record for 1 1/2 set at the Oak Tree Invitational.

24 May 2010 4:55 PM
PomDeTerre

Slew Baby, Of course, you are right.  I will take it upon myself to speak for the entire industry, and attempt to get this year's Belmont cancelled.  Or better yet, we'll make an exception just this once and let a four year old filly in.  Hell, she can't beat her peers, but since this crop of three years olds is, in your opinion, so abyssmally bred, she probably could take them on.

But wait- does that mean that she's still won 2 legs of the TC, even if they are in separate years?

I strongly suggest you learn something about the industry, as your lack of insight is dwarfed only by your lack of intellect.

Actually, I'm done wasting my breath and time on you;I';ve got more important tings to do like get a root canal.

24 May 2010 5:04 PM
Pedigree Shelly

Draynay , I agree with you about First Dude and Fly Down ! Fly Down's race in the Dwyer was really impressive but,I wonder if the Preakness took alot out of First Dude ? He really ran his heart out !

24 May 2010 5:24 PM
Pedigree Shelly

Slewbaby , I wasn't done , but my espresso was :) Anyways ,I can somewhat understand how you feel . The American Thoroughbred is not know for stamina ! I dont know who to blame ? Looking at condition books , it's sad ! They are saturated with races 1 mile and under ! A 1 1/16 mile race is considered a marathon anymore ?? To me, this is a depressing subject, as a breeder ,I'll do my best to prevent the downward spiral of distance races in this country !Let us all try to do the same thing !

24 May 2010 5:46 PM
jayjay

I agree with Shelly, depressing subject.  How about we go back to talking about the Belmont race and who's running this year and who the longshots are?  This race doesn't seem to be as easy as I thought it will be to handicap, I'm still high on IceBox and I think after all is said and done, he'll be the winner...I'm just having a hard time figuring out who will be behind him from 2nd to 4th.  I think it's safe to say that this will be another one of those huge supers (another chance for Jason to give us a legit longshot).  I don't think IceBox will be as heavy fav as LAL in Preakness so the super might be even bigger :)

IceBox/MMFM with Stay Put / First Dude and Stately Victor and Fly Down and Drosselmeyer and Hawkster, Goldikova, Rachel Alexandra, PomDeTerre's horse, Flying Continental, Music Merci ... need help with the rest!

24 May 2010 6:21 PM
Draynay aka handicapping LEGEND.

Slewbaby it seems you want to pick a fight let me suggest www.ufc.com maybe they will enjoy that nonsense you posted.

24 May 2010 6:39 PM
Householder

What's the Met Mile coming up like?  Quality Road works tomorrow (Tuesday May 25th) but he has not ran since the first week of February!

24 May 2010 7:01 PM
ETHAN

If they don't see which horses can run at 12 Furlongs how would they ever be able to breed genes for doing that sort of thing back in.

YOu can't breed horses for a distance unless you have racing at that distance.

Geting rid of the Belmont wouldn't really slove anything

24 May 2010 7:10 PM
So Cal Racer

2010 weird year for the TC...favorite of the KY..Lookin Lucky won at Preakness yet TR: Baffert back out on Belmont, TR: Pletcher a one time hit wonder on KY Derby back out on Belmont with SS.. just to show that trainer all care is make money...how about be part of history win or at least run on all the Triple...wasted trainer...no wonder there's no TC winner yet... will the trainer of Seatle Slew or Scretariat be reapeted? NOT if this kind trainer does not have the heart and desire to WIN or TRY winning it... money..money but you'll never be remember in history...what a shame.

24 May 2010 7:55 PM
PomDeTerre

Gre and MZ-

thanks for your nice words (and everyone else I missed)

MZ- I'm in upstate ny- about 20 minutes from saratoga.  But when yer screen name means "potato", I guess you can see the Idaho connection.

24 May 2010 7:56 PM
nmhiplains

Slewbaby

Stamina is a result of conditioning for lactic acid tolerance at route distance (mile or longer 12/5-13.5 Furlong rate) and as long as trainer condition at 4-6 furlongs and their goal is the bullet work of the day we wouldn't have a Triple Crown Winner

Any possible future TCW and present  winner/track record holders should get a big ASTERIX besides  his name because of the juice running through his veins

LASSIX-- or Barry Bonds favorite cocktail running in their veins

steriods----ASTERIX*****

JASON

QUESTION

WAS DR FAGER's mile records broken by  horses running without the benefit of LASSIX!!!

WHO was the last HOY that raced without the benefit of LASSIX!!!

24 May 2010 10:10 PM
nmhiplains

Slewbaby

Lexington raced four miles in 17:19 3/4 in 1885 average of 13.75sec Furlong slowest mile in 1:52 1/4,fastest in 1:47 1/4---You will find Lexington's blood flows in most of the Thoroughbreds in the states today.

You can bet his owner probably rode him four or more miles everyday  from the plantation to the tavern---TWICE A DAY

Slow gallop into town -

High gallop back ---Scarlet waited dinner for know one---Stamina is a matter of conditioning for routes.

No vehicles in 1885 YOU rode your horses they didn't stand in the stall and  two or three heats of four miles  with  ten minutes of rest between  heats was the usually challenge ---THE BELMONT would have been a SPRINT!!!!

Train for a sprint you get a sprinter.  THEORY however a horse is like a five gallon bucket at 22--46 your dumping (after the first furlong SPLEEN) lactic acid into the bucket at a rate of 1 1/2 gpf. Four furlongs the buckets full  and the racehorses hits the wall at the 12.5-13 sec furlong your only dumping 1 gallon and can

go futher  and Fast Twitch muscle cells can be utilize some of the lactic acid  (quart? or more depends on conditioning)  Point is you have to condition at routes filling the bucket to the top without spilling over changing slow twitch cells into fast twitch cells

PACE makes the race

You get what you train for

The old Trainers conditioned 1/8 further than route  enter in at 12.5--13 sec furlong rate

24 May 2010 11:14 PM
Johar

Maybe going a bit off topic here, but why all the negativity about this year's Belmont? It's the best betting race the Belmont has seen in years. It's a wide open affair complete with Derby/Preakness horses, new up-and-comers, longshots, the whole lot. I think it's going to be a great race, and a lot better than most of the 6 horse fields of recent years.

It's a horse race, people. Enjoy it, live it, and let's get some new fans involved. Cut them in on your trifecta wheel tickets (and be sure to put Stay Put in there!). I think racing is killing itself by crying about "no triple crown contender". There have been many great races and racehorses that didn't involve the triple crown.

I'll take:

1 - Ice Box

2 - Stay Put

3 - Make Music For Me

24 May 2010 11:16 PM
LAZMANNICK

MZ

Embur's Song ran a great race a fifth of a second off the track record for 1-1/16M.  Her time was 3 seconds faster than Biofule's (the next day), and she set all the pace.  Biofuel defeated three horses coming off wins (2 from Keeneland) and I hear that she is going to point to the Coaching Club Oaks.  Embur's Song is a Canadian Bred trained by Todd Pletcher and is coming off a win at Keeneland.  She is probably aiming for the Canadian Oaks and possibly the Queen's Plate.  She looks like the real deal.  LOL

25 May 2010 12:40 AM
Matthew W

First Dude/Stay Put/Make Music For Me box, I'll leave out Nick for the exacta, hoping to get paid---Zito is not my idea of a good trainer to bet at low odds--always a contender, though, so a good longshot guy....I will try to beat him with the Dude-er-rino! And I, for one, think this crop is a decent enough crop, even without Esky it's good, and The Belmont still will be a good race with good horses...just like the other two this has been a very good betting Triple Crown! good races!

25 May 2010 1:50 AM
GunBow

It's a little delayed, but I did want to make a few comments about this past Saturday at Hollywood Park.  I thought there were 4 very intriguing performances.

1. Smiling Tiger-Gr.3 Laz Barrera:

Smiling Tiger had flashed some talent and class when he ran 3rd in both the gr.2 Best Pal and gr.1 Del Mar Futurity last year as a 2 year old.  It should be mentioned that in both of those races eventual Derby 4th place horse, Make Music for Me, ran 2nd, and Eclipse champion and Preakness winner, Lookin at Lucky, ran 1st.  Smiling Tiger was unfortantely sidelined for 7 months after those races, but his comeback effort, a good 3rd in the 6 furlong Harry Henson(on turf) set him up nicely for the Barrera.

The Barrera was not given to Smiling Tiger.  He had to go out and run quick fractions, :22 and 2 for the first quarter and :44 and 3 for the half.  At the top of the stretch, Smiling Tiger was tackled by the Baffert duo of Concord Point(on the outside) and Macias(on the inside).  Yet, even though Smiling Tiger had gone 6 furlongs in a brisk 1:08 and 3,he was able to hold off both of those horses as well as Domonation and Skipshot to win by a half(Concord Point 2nd).  The final time was 1:21 and 1, and earned a 98 Beyer.

Smiling Tiger is a horse of some quality.  He has speed, solid back class, and is solidly built.  Given this was only his 2nd start in 7 months and that he's only had 6 career starts, it would appear Smiling Tiger has some upside and might get even better.  Evidently, his connections are looking to stretch him out to 8.5 furlongs in the Affirmed Cap' at Hollywood.  The Barrera has a surprisingly good history of producing top level talent, however most have been sprinters(Reraise, Love that Red, Caller One, Swept Overboard, Squirtle Squirt, Captain Squire).  A notable exception is Dixie Union, who went from running 2nd in the 2000 Barrera to winning the Haskell 2 starts later(ran 2nd by a neck to the then unknown Tiznow in the Affirmed between the Barrera and Haskell).

2. Rapport-6.5f Maiden:

Rapport won the 7th race, a 6.5 furlong maiden by 5.25 lengths in a strong 1:15 and 4.  A 3 year old daughter of Songandaprayer, Rapport went out under Preakness hero Martin Garcia and set a blistering pace of :21 and 3 and :44 and 2.  While Rapport did tire slightly, she actually kept things together quite well in the stretch to win by daylight.

Rapport is a $475,000 purchase, and is a half-sister to gr.1 winner Adieu.  Rapport had started 3 times as a juvenile back East but bombed each time, prompting a switch to Baffert.  Clearly, Baffert has her going the right way, and with that great speed Rapport might eventually be stakes material.

3. Uncle Don-6f Allowance(turf):

I had written about Uncle Don after he won the Grey Memo Stakes on Gold Rush day, and he didn't disappoint in his first race since.  Making his first start on turf in the 6 furlong contest, Uncle Don went to the lead from the start under the emerging star, Joel Rosario, and dismissed all challenges with the greatest of ease to win by almost 3.  The win was Uncle Don's 4th in a row.

What makes this strong performance sprinting on turf so interesting is that Uncle Don is out of Soviet Problem, the 94' Breeder's Cup Sprint runner-up and one of the best turf sprinters of the last 20 years.  A 5 year old, Uncle Don is at the top of his game and will be tough in turf sprints, even stakes.

4. Enriched-1 mile Allowance(turf):

The 3 previous performances were nice, but this was easily the performance of the day.  Personally, I had been waiting for Lava Man's little bro, Enriched, to have a breakout race(like Acclamation had in the Jim Murray).  Enriched had been running well over the last 9 months, placing in some Cal bred stakes and was coming into the allowance having run a sharp 3rd three weeks earlier in the gr.3 Alysheba at Churchill on Oaks day(on dirt).  Enriched appeared to have the allowance field over the barrel, but I don't know if anyone was prepared for just how fast Enriched would run.

Enriched settled just off a blistering pace set by Liberian Freighter.  Those 2 went the first quarter of the one mile turf race in :22 and 2, the half in :44 and 3, and 6 furlongs in a stunning 1:08 and 2.  As a point of comparison, Uncle Don's final time for his 6 furlong turf race was 1:08 and 4.  By the 6th furlong, Enriched had collared Liberian Freighter while the other 3 horses were at least 8 lengths behind.  Liberian Freighter understandably tired and finished 4th.  Enriched had every right to back up as well, but he never did.  Instead, he kept up a good clip through the stretch, hitting the wire 9.25 lengths in front, stopping the clock in 1:33 and 1.  While Enriched did slow a little, his final time stands out during a meet that has typically been producing times in the 1:34-35 range.

Evidently, Team Beyer was impressed with Enriched's performance because they gave it a 110.  To put it in perspective, the next best turf Beyer so far this year is a 104, about 3 lengths inferior to Enriched.

The only downside about Enriched's performance is that it came in an allowance.  According to the speed figure and the raw times, the performance would have been good enough to win almost any stakes, including the gr.1 Shoemaker Mile(on turf) to be run Memorial Day.  Doug O'Neil, Enriched's trainer, is known to bring horses back quickly, and has been keeping Enriched on a 2-3 week schedule.  Will he come back in 9 days with Enriched for the Shoemaker Mile?  O'Neil could also come back in 2 weeks and run in the gr.1 Whittingham, but that race is at 10 furlongs.

Enriched has been about a year behind Lava Man in his developmental arc.  Lava Man really started getting good in May of his 4 year old year.  At age 5, it appears Enriched is now ready to hit the big-time too.

25 May 2010 4:29 AM
Fran Loszynski

Yes Nancy, Alex's kids are "feeling their oats!" so to speak. Wait till the summer and next year. We haven't seen anything yet! You'll be reading about Afleet Alex's kids someday.I was hoping Quick Ride would give a little more for Nick Zito but I'm sure Ice Box will in the Belmont. I was thinking we'll have a real shopping spree on our hands-

SUPER SAVER, LOOKING AT LUCKY (shopper) and something for your ICE BOX !!!

25 May 2010 8:11 AM
slyder

Just ignore Slewbaby. For anyone that says we should change The Belmont to six Furlongs and hold it at Aqueduct?, Idiotic...

Greg J. 24 May 2010 4:01 PM

Must be related to Mr. BS the nay nugget

25 May 2010 8:19 AM
Will W

Better luck next time, Jason. You might remember that we live in an age of impatience, thoughtlessness, and poor attention spans where reading comprehension skills have fallen off the cliff. Careful readings are rare; discernment skills sadly in decline. People today prefer to do the mindless - like pull the arm of a slot machine or scratch off a lottery ticket - rather than do a close and careful analysis of a DRF, digest it thoroughly and then subject the information gained to a patient analysis and reflection. With this contemporary bunch, you must, as the old adage goes, "keep it simple, Stupid." Having said that, I'll now tell on myself. I had to read the "nine different horses" thing several times to accurately get your drift, and, I see from your woeful laments in the blog that even some of your veteran reader/bloggers failed to discern your intended meaning.

25 May 2010 9:14 AM
mz

Laz: Queen's Plate for the filly (so she can actually get the plate from Liz this year).  CCA Oaks for Biofuel.  Later this year: Zen, RA and the two Cdn fillies in the BC Classic.  Another Year-of-the-Fillies!!

Re: Make Music for Me -- didn't his sire sire a couple of Argentinian stakes winners?  Going long?

25 May 2010 11:13 AM
jayjay

Is NYRA really the one to blame on that whole fiasco or is it the state ??  It seems the state owes NYRA 17million through that Off-Track betting corp.  Both are probably at fault but just glad that they got the loan to continue operating at least until next year.  Saved a lot of folks from losing their jobs.

25 May 2010 2:25 PM
Ted from LA

Would somebody please summarize for me what Will W said above?  I don't get any of it and don't have time to figure it out.  Discernment?  What kind of high-falutin' word is that?  I have to run now and watch the video of Lindsay Lohan in court.  I also have to go figure out my mantra.  I keep forgetting if it is "aaaaaaaaammmmmmmm" or "uuuuuummmmmmmmmm."

25 May 2010 2:59 PM
MonicaV

Slewbaby,

I'm rather appalled at your post about the triple crown and the Belmont.

It is true that breeders are breeding for speed rather than endurance but that doesn't mean that there are no horses out there capable of winning the triple crown.  There have been some near misses, Smarty Jones being one of them.  What we are seeing more of is horses who started at the Derby and lose, skip the Preakness and go to the Belmont.  Birdstone did that and beat Smarty.  Would he have beat him had he run in the Preakness?  Maybe but probably not.

From my understanding, people were skeptical that Smarty could even get 10 furlongs.  He had no trouble and maybe had he rated better at the Belmont, he would have won.  You are right in that there are not many races at 12 furlongs.  Even the JCGC used to be 12 but is now 10 furlongs.

Using Rachel Alexandra as your point was ridiculous.  Her former trainer, Mr. Wiggins, felt that if she were to go in a TC race, it should be the Belmont.  She is bred for distance.  Yes, the infamous Woodward where she barely held on to beat that claimer was run a month after her win at Monmouth pulling away from the field and winning by six lengths in the mud.  Might have taken a bit out of her but clearly, she could have run further and won because not one of her opponents was getting close.

A six furlong Belmont is insanity.

Changing anythibg about the TC is lunacy because if the distances or the timing is changed, then a TC winner under new rules cannot be considered to be equal to the former winners.  No way.  Changing it, diminishes it.  There would be no point.  When something is really difficult to achieve it makes it special, something to be rmembered.  If it's made easier, it's just average and forgettable.

25 May 2010 3:47 PM

Ted: We are dumb.

(Even WillW)

25 May 2010 4:06 PM
jayjay

Between slewbaby's use of multiple question marks and nmhiplains use of exclamation points, my blood pressure is way up...

I keep having to scroll to the top to remind myself what the topic of the blog is...I guess it has become "open to discuss anything" since half of us are too dumb to understand the original topic and the ones that did are probably still laughing at us LOL.

25 May 2010 5:24 PM
s lee

Hi -

while I agree that I wouldn't mess around with the TC races (I'd prefer to train the horses differently), let's remember that they haven't always been this way.

If we take the Triple Crown as starting in 1919, when Sir Barton won it, that's sort of tricky because that set of 3 races didn't even have the name "Triple Crown" until the 1930's.  When people looked back at the combination of races as something special, they discovered Sir Barton had done it.  The locations of the races, the timing, the distances, have ALL changed since 1919.  Heck, for a few years the Derby and Preakness were on the same day, and, for a while, the Belmont wasn't even on a Saturday!

Up to and including Man O'War's 3 year old year, the Belmont was run the British way - counter-clockwise.  And until 1925 or 1926 it was 1 and 3/8's miles, not 1 1/2.

The Derby has been at its current distance the longest, I think, since sometime in the 1890's.

The Preakness has been a lot of different distances, but it's been set at 1 3/16 since sometime in the 1920's.

Changes don't diminish the Triple Crown - changes for the wrong reasons do!

25 May 2010 7:48 PM
PomDeTerre

NYRA- a mismanaged joke.  While - esp since I live here- I want racing to continue at a high level in NYS, something;s gotta give.  The politos keep arguing about the VLTs- yes they are needed- with a stipulation that the $$$ goes to the tracks in pures and improvements- not for building a hotel- as is being done here- with the profits.  And until we start questioning why the 3rd guy at the top makes 2x more than the U.S. pres- we have to insure this money doesn't get siphoned off for salaries for the org.  Too much graft, and provisions need to be made to stop the greedy from lining their purses and make sure this money gets used for racing.  These salaries, travel expenses and other write offs are ridiculous, and something needs to be done about that or this bailout wil only serve to make the rich get richer at a cost to the sport.

26 May 2010 9:06 AM
tara s

ok i agree with berth the belmont song should go back to sidewalks of new york i love the song new york new york but i also think the history of the belmont goes with the other song. as for shortening or dismissing the belmont are you crazy the triple crown isnt supposed to be easy and the belmont is the oldest of the tc races horses should be bred for stamina too i would never ever breed a mare to giant's causeway or a big brown. giant's causeways are good for a few races the they get injured (heat seeker and eskenderaya) we need more mile and a half races the jockey club gold cup should go back to that distance lets make these horses tougher not faster and injury prone

26 May 2010 10:33 AM
LAZMANNICK

Cv

The more I see of these two Canadian fillies, Biofuel and Embur's Song, the more I like.  I said the CCA for Biofuel.  I meant the Mother Goose.  Success there and then she'll go to the CCA......Now that the BC Lady's is going to be under the lights I wonder when these two will start racing on Woodbine's Wednesday night programs (under the lights).  LOL

26 May 2010 12:32 PM
Pedigree Shelly

I remember several years ago , I was reading an interview in the BH with Wayne Lukas and even HE was taling about shortening the TC races !!!! I was astounded ! Then , I thought well , he used to be a Quarters trainer ! Enough talk ! Please !!! Leave the TC races alone ! About 3 months ago I had fractured my ankle , so I had plenty of reading time on the couch ! I was going through last years Keeneland Nov. sales catalogues and came over a horse named Trailer Trash ! Is The Jockey Club asleep at the wheel when it comes to approving names or what ?? That name is an insult to the breed or to any horse for that matter ! Jason , sorry to go off the subject , no more espresso for me :)

26 May 2010 7:35 PM
Will W

Ted from LA: Ask Lindsay. I saw her at the track the other day deep in thought and pouring over the DRF. When I asked her what she was doing as the behavior seemed so uncharacteristic, she told me she was trying to cultivate and hone up her ability to analyze and discern. Claimed she was bored stiff confining her gambling to the slots. It was all too mindless, and she was out in the most determined way to shake off her image as an empty-headed party girl.

26 May 2010 10:07 PM
nyfalcon

the king  of ny racing  will get it  with Ice box..

27 May 2010 2:24 PM