Derby Mo-Jo Part III: Final Prep Time

(Part III of an ongoing blog series authored by Mike Repole, owner of Kentucky Derby favorite Uncle Mo)

Wow, I can't believe that it is already April. Over the next two weeks, God willing, Stay Thirsty and Uncle Mo will take their final steps before the Kentucky Derby. I'm possibly five weeks away from a lifelong dream.

After April 9, we will not only know a lot more about Stay Thirsty and Uncle Mo, but also about the rest of the Derby field. It's a very exciting time to be a horse racing fan. I'm happy to say that I'm really enjoying every moment and I'm a lot less anxious than I was before Thirsty and Mo won their 3-year-olds debuts. I feel extremely fortunate to be in this position and I'm appreciative of all of the support I've received.

Mo's Timely Writer effort was exactly what we were looking for. The opening fractions were soft, but he finished up in :22 and change, and galloped out 15-20 lengths ahead of the field. What was so impressive to Todd and me was that he was able to relax so easily, which is what he will need to do in a 20-horse field like the Derby. Mo came out of the race in great shape. He had a strong work last Sunday when he was purposely placed behind a pair of horses and had dirt kicked in his face. He took like a champ, angled out at the eighth-pole when Johnny asked him, and blew by his work partners as if they were standing still. He is ready for the Wood Memorial.

There are going to be people that second-guess our decision to run Mo in the Wood. They will say that we took the easier route with him. From our standpoint, timing was the most important factor. By Stay Thirsty running in the Gotham and the Florida Derby, he will have four weeks in between races. Mo will also have four weeks between the Timely Writer and the Wood.

The Wood is a race that several champions including Secretariat and Seattle Slew both ran in, and had they not gotten injured, the last two Derby favorites would have come out of the race. It's a prestigious $1 million race and a race I've dreamed of winning ever since I was there there to watch Pleasant Colony win in 1981.

Uncle Mo wins the Breeders' Cup Juvenile.
Photo: Skip Dickstein

Since the day he won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, I have been crystal clear that Mo would run in the Wood. It's not like this is a shocking route that we are taking. How am I supposed to know if as little as five or as many as 15 horses will be in the starting gate, or how strong it will come up? And for all I know, if we said we were going to the Florida Derby all along then maybe some of the horses entered in that race would be pointing for the Wood instead. We're not ducking anyone. All we're trying to do is keep our horse healthy and happy, and get him ready for the first Saturday in May.

Stay Thirsty is ready to run big in the Florida Derby. The extra sixteenth of a mile should only help him; there is no doubt in my mind he will keep getting better as he goes longer. He's bred to run a two-mile steeplechase race. The field has come up very strong; by far the toughest Derby prep of the season. It's a great chance to see where he stands, especially in a race where there might be four or five horses at 5-1 or lower. I just hope and pray that everyone has a safe trip.

Unlce Mo and Stay Thirsty
Photo: Reed Palmer

When I agreed to do this blog, the main reason was to help make Mo and Thirsty more accessible to fans. In continuing to do that, I want to let people know that Mo's new web site, Unclemo.com, is now up and running. Feel free to stop by for all the latest news, photos, and information.

Along with NYRA, I am also running fun promotion. It's called Get to Know Mo, where you can sign up for a chance to meet Mo, Todd, and his jockey Johnny Velazquez. Mo loves being around people, so hopefully you enter for a chance to win!

Once again, I'm overwhelmed by your support and all of the well wishes for both Thirsty and Mo. Hopefully I will see some of you at Gulfstream on Sunday and at Aqueduct next weekend. I'll be back again in a couple of weeks.

All the best,

Mike

Dawn

Mike - you are a breath of fresh air in racing and is just what the industry needs.  Safe trips to Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty in the weeks ahead.

01 Apr 2011 2:32 PM
Beav

Go Mo.  I'm rooting for you. Have a safe and sound run.  See you at the roses.

01 Apr 2011 2:39 PM
Rachel

The Wood is THE race to run him in, it's history with the Derby and all, and I think you hit the nail on the head...if UM was running in Fla, they'd all be in NY!!!

01 Apr 2011 2:41 PM
mama clem

uncle mos handlers have done a great job at ducking , dodging and manipulating thier way around racing any real competition but come derby day its all gonna come crahing down , god this horse is sooooooo overrated !

01 Apr 2011 3:03 PM
stayin thirsty

What's the deal with Stay Thirsty's last work? Rumor has it he didn't finish so well and it was a lackluster effort.

01 Apr 2011 3:10 PM
Blue Blue Sea

Thanks for being a great spokesperson for the sport!

01 Apr 2011 3:25 PM
Ted from LA

Nice article, Mike.  If you look closely at the Skip Dickstein photo above, you will see why Uncle Mo has an advantage over other horses.  His feet don't hit the ground.  He's flying while all the others are running.

01 Apr 2011 3:28 PM
Norma

Mike....once again thank you for sharing your thoughts on both Stay Thirsty and Uncle Mo. I too look forward in the running to the Florida Derby and the Wood next weekend in hopes that the dream is realized...good luck

01 Apr 2011 3:30 PM
Mike in SB

Good Luck in the Wood and Florida Derby. I know you are a New York guy and want to win the Wood with Uncle Mo, but I hope you are also considering the Travers for the summer.  I know that is a long way off, but I would love to see him win Saratoga's biggest race.

01 Apr 2011 3:31 PM
The Fish

Mike,

Thank you for making Mo and Thirsty so accessible.  I pray that both are happy and healthy.  Even if they never win another race they are both great horses.  I was so impressed by Uncle Mo's closing quarter in the Timely Writer.

Uncle Mo, that horse is a champion, and he could do something very special here. Has Todd said anything to you about Mo's Triple Crown chances?

01 Apr 2011 3:31 PM
Karen in Indiana

I'll be rooting for Stay Thirsty this weekend (love his pedigree also) and Uncle Mo next. Thank you so much for allowing us to see behind the curtain!

01 Apr 2011 3:34 PM
Albert

Go Mo always pick my favorite for the derby few days before fla. derby with yuu all the way

01 Apr 2011 3:35 PM
clarinetmama

AMEN!!!

01 Apr 2011 3:37 PM
Ranagulzion

Uncle Mo is indeed a special talent and I sincerely hope that the preparation strategy works out because the competition in this year's Kentucky derby looks to be coming up stronger than in recent years.  Comparitive fitness rather than raw talent could make the difference going ten furlongs.  Mo is still my selection but I'm backing off the "lock assertions" for now ...perhaps my confidence will be resurgent after the Wood Memorial.  Good luck. I'd love to see Johnny V score this year after the disappoinments of the last two years.

01 Apr 2011 3:39 PM
Christy in Kansas

Mike cannot WAIT to see Stay Thirsty (or for short I like to just combine the two and call him ThirSTAY for his stay all day pedigree) ;) demolish that Florida Derby field.  He's on top for me and I wish him and R.Dominguez and field a safe trip.

Also look forward to watching Mo and Johnny V. stay undefeated winning the Wood next weekend!!!

THANK YOU so much for helping to keep my top two derby picks accessible to all us fans...you are the best and wish you continued success, good luck, and always safe and sound trips!

01 Apr 2011 4:11 PM
2:24

Mike - thanks again for writing these blogs.

I've been doing some thinking.  I know you and Todd haven't asked for my help, but I've mapped out a year plan that, if completed, will have Mo going down as the greatest 3 year old, and possibly greatest horse, in history.  Here goes:

Wood Memorial, Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, Belmont Stakes, Whitney Handicap, Travers Stakes, Jockey Club Gold Cup, Breeder's Cup Classic.  He can even afford a good loss in either the Whitney or JCGC and still have the greatest season of any horse ever.

Good luck, I'll be rooting for you guys.

01 Apr 2011 4:14 PM
merasmag

grl with both of your horselets(TM)

i think stay thirsty will win on sunday

after the triple crown maybe you can continue to race both of them for 2 or 3 more years 5 or 6 times a year each (at least) so that they are more accessible to bettors (whoops...i meant "fans")

01 Apr 2011 4:19 PM
Lisa g

Love the Uncle Mo website...so glad Uncle Mo worked so hard on the website so fan could get to know him better.  Thank you, Future Triple Crown Winner.

01 Apr 2011 4:22 PM
Brian Appleton

Go Mo! I can't wait to see him run this weekend in the Wood, I've been dying to attend one of his races!

Mike Repole is one of the classiest owners I have ever seen, I hope he makes it all the way with Uncle Mo.

01 Apr 2011 4:32 PM
It aint easy being good

Does any of this matter. The factor is the fastest horse on the planet everyone is running for place and show money. The factor will run mo off of his feet.

01 Apr 2011 4:45 PM
Footlick

Good luck throughout the year Mr Repole with all your horses.

01 Apr 2011 4:57 PM
gouncle

Hi Mike, you have a great horse in Uncle Mo. Ignore the naysayers, this horse continues to prove that he is far superior to the other 3 yr olds. No one has surfaced on the trail that is capable of running the fractions this horse can and if any one is watching, his gallop outs are unreal, reaching out and gobbling up ground. You mentioned Stay Thirsty improving with distance but I think Mo is begging for more ground. He will crush them in Louiville much like what Barbaro did 5 yrs ago. Sit just off the pace and rocket home in last 1/4 of 23.4

01 Apr 2011 4:59 PM
Draynay

Uncle Mo will win his next 4 races and will be our next Triple Crown winner.

01 Apr 2011 5:05 PM
no mo mo

Uncle Mo will not win the Ky. Derby!! Sorry Mike not everyone is in love with him.

01 Apr 2011 5:05 PM
Frankie Conditions

Mr. Repole, don't listen to the naysayers. Instead of appreciating you and what you are doing, not to mention their lack of respect for your super stars, their peetiness and most likely their jealousy gets in the way. Most serious fans recognize class when they see it and I'm not speaking about the horses.

Glad to hear that your anxiety is in check so that you can enjoy the journey. This is America and it was built on dreams. So happy that you can live yours out clearly you have earned it and deserve it.

Best of luck !

01 Apr 2011 5:06 PM
plain jane

Do you belong to the tea party mike? I can't root for any of your horses if you do.

01 Apr 2011 5:17 PM
Zen's Auntie

Mike Thanks for Sharing your Joy and Horses with us.  Good Luck I love Mo and hope he does well the 9th.

Im really excited about the FD this is the depest 3 year old race this season! Tasty Indeed.

God Bless them all that will run - 2 and 4 legged. Stay safe and may luck run with you.

01 Apr 2011 5:18 PM
Betsy

Mike, you're a great guy - good luck to both Mo and ST!

I am a HUGE fan of ST - have been since he debuted. The only thing that concerns me is how he'll react to blinkers - he's got natural speed already, but he rated well in the Gotham. I hope the blinkers won't make him too keen.   In any case, I think he'll be better later on in the year, but IMO, he's a game and competitive colt. I figure he'll run quite well in the Florida Derby.

01 Apr 2011 5:51 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Thanks for another great article Mike.  Good luck to Mo in the Wood and Stay Thirsty in the Florida Derby.  Mike you are the best owner!!!!!  You really did my suggestion in Mo-Jo Part I. about holding the meet Uncle Mo Contest with NYRA!!!! It has really come to fruition.  I just finished perusing the new Uncle Mo website and I love it, kudos to you for doing it for the fans.  Lots of great stuff and photos on there.  How could anyone not love Mo after looking at those adorable photos, he's such a great athletic champion and at the same time he's a lovable, cuddly colt. I hope I was a catalyst in the meet Mo contest, I entered, but don't I get to go along too for the suggestion?  Years ago I attended the Afleet Alex Day at Delaware Park, got to meet Tim Ritchey and Jeremy and Alex, and it was the absolute best day ever!

01 Apr 2011 6:00 PM
BlueHen

Mike, I'm following Thirsty and Mo this year -- they're my Triple Crown guys.  Good luck with both of them!!

01 Apr 2011 6:01 PM
Mary P

I love everything about these horses. Mike Repole is a true class act that is involved in all aspects of their lives.  Mike has stepped up and speaks with his wallet for TB retirement farms.  Uncle Mo is being handled carefully (I find NO fault in carefully nurturing these talented athletes) and is being molded into one of the greats.  His stride is effortless and breathtaking....his attitude is that of a lifelong champion.  ST is a class horse in his own right and will only improve under the guidence of Todd Pletcher.  Major thanks to this great team!  I, a fan, am in awe.

01 Apr 2011 6:13 PM
Mike Relva

MR. REPOLE

Good Luck w/your horses! BTW,I admire the comments you made regarding your respect for a "certain racehorse" and what way you would've voted if you had a vote.

01 Apr 2011 7:01 PM
Marine

Mama Clem...incredibly nasty of you to add your negative comment to this blog. Mr. Repole was kind enough to share his story and whether you're a fan of his horse or not (could we GET more Jr. High school snotty & snobby on these Bloodhorse blogs btw??) this really wasn't the place to share that opinion. Hiding behind a keyboard is no excuse to disregard basic good manners and courtesy.

01 Apr 2011 7:03 PM
Karen in Texas

Continuing good luck to you in all your endeavors, especially with your horses, Mr. Repole!

01 Apr 2011 7:07 PM
txhorsefan

Thank you once again for so graciously writing for the many fans of your fantastic horse, Uncle Mo.  It means a great deal to many of us to be able to know more about the personality of the horse, the dreams of the owners and the background information so we have more knowledge on which to form our opinions.  Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty have been at the top of my 3 year old lists all year and I sincerely wish both of them the best, plus I enjoy watching your other horses run also since I have learned more about you and how you value the horses.  Thank you.

Celeste

01 Apr 2011 7:14 PM
illum

Mr.Repole there is no doubt that Uncle Mo is the most talented horse heading into his last prep race since Curlin.Tpletcher is a great trainer and he was overdue last year to win a derby.He is also a good manager of a horse in that he does his homework on who his competition will most likely be for an upcoming race,Im sure he uses computers and people who know how to use them to gauge his possible competitors in upcoming stake races.I hope Uncle Mo gets enough out of his preps this year to give his best effort on derby day.The post position draw is probably important for Mo as he is a horse that likes to run early so he would not like to draw inside(like Curlin)and have to use energy into the first turn.Good luck to you.

01 Apr 2011 7:17 PM
Racingfan

Mike, thanks for the updates and for taking the time to help us fans feel more involved.  I truly believe that is just what racing needs!  Best of luck to you and both of your horses!

2:24, maybe that would be the greatest campaign in recent history with horses so lightly raced now days. But absolutely NOT the greatest ever!

01 Apr 2011 7:18 PM
Zookeeper

Mike,

To have one contender on the KD trail must be fantastic, to have two of them has to be mind boggling. Best of luck (and strong nerves) to you!!! Thank you for sharing your unbelievable experience with us.

01 Apr 2011 7:26 PM
jimthepimp

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for promoting the sport that so many of us love. Soldat will give Stay Thirsty a fight this Sunday but I will be routing for Thirsty. He has a great pedigree so send him to the derby win or lose if he is healthy and happy. If Mo was in the Florida Derby it would of been a short field. To watch his races makes you smile. Mo is my favorite horse to watch run and hope he wins the derby for a very deserving owner. I do worry about the two preps and short fields. Also understand you cant control who will come and race against you. So go Mo!

01 Apr 2011 7:45 PM
Pat in New Jersey

Best of luck this weekend in Florida with Thirsty, Mike.  Really looking forward to seeing Mo run at Aqueduct next week.  You are doing great things for racing -love Mo's Facebook page and his website is great, too!  It's really great that owners like you and the Mosses are involved and making these great horses more accessible to the public!  Thanks so much, Mike and good luck to you boys!!

01 Apr 2011 7:51 PM
Flynne

Good luck to ALL your horses Mike; there aren't many owners better than yourself to root for. Go Mo, Stay Thirsty, and Mike!

01 Apr 2011 8:13 PM
Carole R

Mike I wish you and your horses the best.  I have a strong feeling Stay Thirsty is going to run a big race this weekend.

As the breeder of Mucho Macho Man I too am experiencing the thrill of a lifetime and can relate to your feelings. Best of luck!! See you at the Derby!

01 Apr 2011 8:17 PM
IOWay

I think it would be very good for horse racing if either of your horses were able to win both of the first two legs of the triple crown and head into the Belmont with a chance for a Triple Crown winner.  Belmont would be packed and most would be cheering for a native New Yorker to bring home the prize.  You are doing a nice job of "telling the horse racing story" much as the Zenyata team did and I am sure that if you can get to that point with either horse the national media will get on board and it will create a great deal of interest and excitement beyond the normal horse racing crowd.  Even winning the first leg would give you a lot of exposure and I am confident that you will do a good job of representing the industry.  Both the Soldat and Dialed In teams are going to be trying hard for the win on Sunday because they have a chance for the $5.5m bonus.  Best of luck to you and keep up the good work.

01 Apr 2011 8:20 PM
skyfire

I grew  up with respect and admiration for the tradition and class of New York racing also.  What could be more exciting than winning a race as prestigious as the Wood on the way to the Derby?  For me, nothing.    You go, Mo, Mike, Todd and JV!!  On to the Triple Crown and then the Travers!!

01 Apr 2011 8:39 PM
Paula Higgins

Well said Ted from LA. Mike, thanks for the time you give us on these blogs. We are rooting for you. We would love to see someone like you win the Derby. Good luck with Mo in the Woodward and Stay Thirsty in the Florida Derby. Your website is great by the way.

01 Apr 2011 8:41 PM
Julien

I am soo greatful that Mike Repole is trying to revive the industry

(horse racing). I wish other noteworthy owners will follow suit, I love what the Mosses did making Zenyatta so accessible to race fans and I see Mr Repole is not only doing that but i have had the oppertunity to read in another blog and seen in an interview that he did that this man has some awesome ideas on revamping the industry. I for one truly wish for the days when the general public held the sport in high esteem as seen in the movie SEABISCUIT. Good luck to Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty.

01 Apr 2011 8:45 PM
Paula Higgins

I meant the Wood Memorial. Geesh.

01 Apr 2011 8:47 PM
GunBow

Mike:

I think you make alot of sense in explaining your reasoning behind the final preps for Mo and Thirsty.  You have said this was going to be Mo's schedule, with the Wood as a final prep, ofr months and you can't control who else shows up for the race.  You may very possibly be correct that had the Florida Derby been Mo's final prep all along, then maybe the quality of fields would have been reversed.

I continue to be amazed that people criticize outstanding horses for running against "weak fields" without recognizing that the presence of the outstanding horse is likely the main CAUSE why the field is so weak to begin with(other horsemen want to avoid the horse).

01 Apr 2011 8:58 PM
Zen4Zen

Dear Mike,

Thanks so much for keeping us posted!

The Get to Know Mo promotion sounds great but for some reason may be hard to access on iMacs, or at least on my iMac.  The link on which I click to submit info isn't active.  Is there any way you -- or another Mo fan who reads this -- might encourage the website to look into this?  Or perhaps someone might suggest a workaround that could be posted as an update to your blog.

Many thanks and I hoping for great things from Mo and also Stay Thirsty!

Laura P

01 Apr 2011 9:53 PM
Mr.Ruffian

Mike

Thank you for the time you have taken to share this dream.  Were you part of the group that got the new equine hospital built on the grounds of Belmont Park?

01 Apr 2011 10:22 PM
John T

Marine

I could not agree with you more,it is incredibly wrong for any

blogger to criticize an owner who is willing to take the time and share his excitement and enthusiasm

with his two horses,Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty as they approach the race he would love to win,the Kentucky Derby.But i,m sure Mr.Repole is enough of an educated

gentleman to know that most of the

bloggers here share his excitement.

Win or lose it has been very sporting of him to share his thoughts with the racing fans.

01 Apr 2011 10:33 PM
Kris

I have a serious question, Mr. Repole.

Stay Thirsty's pedigree has "Belmont spoiler" written all over it.  So if Mo should win the first two legs of the Triple, would you  run Stay Thirsty with him in the Belmont?

01 Apr 2011 11:04 PM
Tiznowbaby

I can't even imagine how much fun you must be having with these two horses. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings with racing fans, and best of luck for a long and happy season.

02 Apr 2011 12:03 AM
Dani

Hi Mike. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the decision making aspects of Thirsty and Mo's upcoming races. I'm just thrilled I am going to see them run again. I can never get enough of watching them in action. Both tremendous horses.

Again as I've said before, I really do appreciate all you are doing for the fans. Your website, FB, the new contest, your webcast interviews, etc. go a long way towards making the sport more personalized for a fan like myself. It all adds a new dimension to the sport. Makes it more fun, more exciting and makes me love the horses all the more since I get to know their personalities. Todd has a great website, as you know, and so I am able to follow all of the horses that you have with him. That's a great asset too. So I'm vastly enjoying the ride.

Good luck this weekend and next. I fully expect to see you and your entourage in the winner's circle.

02 Apr 2011 12:55 AM
Mary in Vermont

Great website. Loved all the photographs and video content. About the only thing missing is his baby pictures. All proud Poppas must have baby pictures. <ahem> I do admit that fogging the camera lens was pretty good though. And it was just plain big of you to give place to your competitors.

Regarding nerves, glad to hear that is going better. Maybe lay right off the coffee until after Derby Day. Instead drink nice soothing chamomile and other calming teas. It really helps just take anxiety down a notch in a nice organic way.

You might be wrong that your horse doesn't know the people around him are nervous. Dogs can smell adrenaline. They say nosh down a hand full of the strongest peppermints you can stand, and then keep 'em coming one by one throughout the day until you are done showing if your nervous about showing your dog because it masks the smell of adrenaline. So eat some of them peppermints. Don't give them all to your horse.

You must have been so delighted with his maiden win at old Saratoga. In your wildest dreams were you looking for that big of a margin? After those fractions? Under wraps? The stuff of dreams. And he looked so young doin' it. Just a baby.

But ... ya got one thing vewy vewy wrong ... it's the Yankees!

02 Apr 2011 2:01 AM
Freetex

All the best to you Mike and your beautiful champions.

It would be so great to see you win The Kentucky Derby.  Your a straight-talking class act kind of guy and boy does this sport need you!

02 Apr 2011 2:47 AM
zulkifli

Wish you and your team the best of luck. All the way to the Kentucky Derby for both Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty.

02 Apr 2011 4:19 AM
Jon

The Wood Memorial used to be THE major prep for the KD.  What's happened?  Is Mo dodging real competition or they him?  Hard to be sure, but the race looks to be coming up a very dismal affair.

02 Apr 2011 9:15 AM
Pete

I was at gulf Stream to watch the Timely Writer and believe me, standing on the rail to watch the stretch run, this horse is the real deal. He clearly had some left and was just all power coming home. Look out Kentucky.

02 Apr 2011 10:19 AM
trackjack

Thanks again Mike for sharing your thoughts.  Looking forward to seeing these two colts perform over the next two weekends.  I hope they both remain healthy for you and best of luck as you and your team move forward.

I'll be at the Derby to cheer you on.

Good Luck!

02 Apr 2011 10:35 AM
Linda in Texas

Mr. Mike, there is nothing wrong with wanting to race Uncle Mo in the greatest state in the U.S., New York. And nothing wrong either with wanting to take him 'home' so more of your friends, associates and extended family members can watch him run up close and personally.

Stay Thirsty will do just fine in Florida.

Looking at the photo of the 2 of them, they almost look like twins.

Good looking fellas to say the least. The riders are even dressed alike! Mo has a blaze, Stay Thirsty doesn't. Only difference.

Thank you for your time and the energy coming from your words is

exhilirating and that must be transferring to everyone you are around. I hope you never wake up from your dream and live it the rest of your life.

Safe travels and trips, Mike and Uncle Mo, we are all right there with you.

And to the naysayers who commented.

How rude. Ignore them Mike,as the good far outweighs the bad as in all things worth remembering in life.

02 Apr 2011 10:49 AM
Reesie

mama clem

So racing Uncle Mo in the Breeders Cup Juvenile was ducking any real competition ??????

Good luck with your boys Mike. Hope they do well come Derby Day!

02 Apr 2011 10:52 AM
Michael Blowen

Uncle Mo, Thanks for everything...You're the best...Take care of Mike..I'm glad you're not as nervous as he is...All the Best, Michael.

02 Apr 2011 11:46 AM
Smarie

Best of luck Mike to you and Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty in the upcoming Wood Memorial and the Florida Derby! Considering all you are going through right now, it is so great that you take the time to share your thoughts and feelings in this manner. Ignore the naysayers. Their rudeness is unbelieveable and I cannot believe they have the nerve to post here. No matter what you do, there are some who have nothing better to do than criticize. Such a sorry lot.

May your horses always come back to the barn safe and sound. God Bless!

02 Apr 2011 12:04 PM
Linda in Texas

CORRECTION TYPO:

UNCLE MO DOES NOT HAVE A WHITE MARK AND STAY THIRSTY DOES. I KNEW THAT AND REVERSED IT.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

02 Apr 2011 12:05 PM
CV

"If you look closely at the Skip Dickstein photo above, you will see why Uncle Mo has an advantage over other horses. His feet don't hit the ground."

"Mo has a blaze, Stay Thirsty doesn't."

Guys, just fyi, Mo is on the left in the photo. He doesn't have any white on his face.

02 Apr 2011 12:49 PM
duchess

Mr. Repole - thank you so much for being one of the few owners that "gets it".

We racing fans love the horses and want so much to feel a connection with them!

Good luck with both of your colts - may they both be sound as stone, swift as the wind, have endurance to run all day, and bring you many great victories over what will hopefully be multiple seasons on the track!

02 Apr 2011 1:20 PM
philly filly

I enjoyed the article, but some of the bloggers statements are rather churly.  Mama Clem is certainly entitled to her opinion, and in her defense, she's not off the mark.  The "Timely Writer" was nothing less than a breeze.  Argue that it was Mo's first start of the year, but the competition (?) was sub par.  When To Honor and Serve made his season debut in the FOY, he was running against some real competition.  His connections didn't opt for a custom written allowance, but opted to put him with his peer group.  A 3rd place in the FOY is far more meaningful in effort than winning in the glorified allowance company of the TW field.

Bashing other writers for having a different opinion than yourself is just plain incredibly narrow minded.

02 Apr 2011 3:56 PM
Katie

Mama Clem

what are you talking about? Uncle Mo ran in the champagne, the Breeders' Cup and he's going to the Wood! It was said a long time ago Mo was targeting the Wood Memorial. It's not his fault if some people decide to chose another race. If instead you had Mo in the Florida derby, maybe the best horses would have chose the Wood instead.

:D Anyway Go Mo!!! And Stay Thirsty too!

02 Apr 2011 4:02 PM
Linda in Texas

CV - thanks, i realized my mistake the minute i sent the comment and corrected it immediately. Sorry for that. Linda

02 Apr 2011 4:07 PM
Jon

Uncle Mo is running against top class, but remember, he has the earnings to get into the Derby....Stay Thirsty needs the preparation.  I don't see where Mo is ducking anything given that the Wood has been the graveyard of champions over the past years.  If anything, that shows courage.

As for speed, Uncle Mo has that, and Premier Pegasus was grossly overrated. The pace collapsed in his last race and he took advantage of that aspect.  My guess is we may see a few more injuries before the Derby as trainers run their horses into  the ground. The Factor is one of those who will be No Factor.

Uncle Mo is a classic horse. He rates, runs on the lead, and runs each quarter faster than the next-same as Secretariat. Anyone idiotic enough to send unqualified horses into the Derby, as happens every year, deserves to have his license removed. The colts will end up retired trying to chase Mo, and you know what, I hope the moronic trainers showing off their speed horses end up without a stable.

By the way..in 1920, Man O' War won the Preakness as his first start. All those pundits stating that Mo needs X races to win The Derby are stupid given that historical fact. The bottom line is this. Mo has the class to win the Triple Crown, and Pletcher knows he will need a full tank of gas to win that. The other colts will be ruined by their show off trainers.

02 Apr 2011 5:13 PM
Ted from LA

CV,

Welcome to my blog.  First of all, don't quote Ted from LA.  That is a blog rule.  Secondly, I was referring to the photo from the Breeders' Cup.  Thirdly, anyone who is critical of Mike Repole is a jackass (donkey).  He is willing to let an average fan like Ted from LA join him in the winner's circle after Uncle Mo wins the Derby~  how many owners are willing to do that?

02 Apr 2011 5:47 PM
Lil Darlin

My 5 year old stepson is in love with Uncle Mo, especially since he saw the video of Mo's feeding time (he cracks up every time he sees it!).  I entered the contest and told his dad that I am kidnapping him for the day if by some miracle I win!  He doesn't want to watch any races anymore that don't have Uncle Mo in them!

Thank you, Mike, for making your horses so accessible to the fans.  I can't tell you how good it makes me feel that there are now two racing fans in the house!

02 Apr 2011 6:07 PM
Jean in Chicago

Mike,

Maybe you answered this someplace and I just missed it, but why the name Uncle Mo?  Best of luck to all your horses and may they always come home safe.

02 Apr 2011 6:55 PM
Jean in Chicago

plain jane:

I think Mike belongs to the Vitaminwater Party.

02 Apr 2011 7:09 PM
Kathy from Toledo

Thanks, Mike, for being an owner who "gets it." It would be the thrill of my life to get to see Uncle Mo up close someday. Saw him at Churchill in the BC Juvenile---and he all but set my hair on fire. I love that you're trying to make him accessible to the fans. For that, I am very grateful. May all the horses run safely---and I'd love to see Mo and Stay Thirsty run one-two in the Derby!

02 Apr 2011 8:50 PM
GoldenBroom

Mike, Thank you for being so open and generous with the fans. Great horses don't have to chase the competition and shouldn't when the other trainers and owners speak volumes by conceding and running their horses elsewhere. The Moss's took crap for it the last 3 years. Just ignore the critics and do what is best for the horse...and yes, what is best for you. A horse like this is once in a lifetime. Do it your way. Cheering for you in Ohio!!! Go Mo!

02 Apr 2011 9:13 PM
Cindy in Michigan

What a wonderful blog! Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty are two great horses and it has been wonderful to watch them grow! Thank you for all the wonderful updates! This is great for the horses, the fans, and the industry.

02 Apr 2011 10:24 PM
Gayle Pruitt

Best of luck to Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty!  We need more owners like Mike Repole.  As a TB owner and lover, and member of The Exceller Fund, I want to thank him for his generosity. We are so grateful for owners that go beyond the finish line for Thoroughbreds off the track.  Thank you! To all of you - you know who you are - your conscience tells you.......Nothing but the best of racing luck to Mike, Mo, and Thirsty!

02 Apr 2011 10:42 PM
Tiznowbaby

Ted from LA,

If I ever win the Derby, you are officially invited to appear in the winner's circle photo.

02 Apr 2011 11:23 PM
christy tate

good luck to both thirsty and mo. may they both have safe trips and maybe we'll see a tleast one in Louisville. think its great theres a website to keep track of both horses, maybe more owners should follow mike's lead.its the horses and their fans that make racing.

03 Apr 2011 12:54 AM
Aluminaut

Thanks Mike for the link to Mo's Webpage.  I don't do facebook and finally saw what I'd only heard about before.

I have a 2 year old filly that would like to meet Mo after her racing career:) She's a bay & has a blaze and a sock like Eclipse.  She can also run a bit.  She'd probably nick better with a Mr. P line sire....but, who knows?

03 Apr 2011 1:31 AM
Aluminaut

Best of luck to the stable, especially Stay Thirsty tomorrow, and Uncle Mo next week.

03 Apr 2011 1:33 AM
jayjay

Jon : How old are you ? and how long have you been involved in horse racing ?

Mike Repole : I've always been a fan of your horse, Stay Thirsty.  I actually think he'll do well in the Florida Derby.  3 of my top 4 picks are running in the same race and I wouldn't mind it much if ST beats those 3 as I'll throw some tickets on ST tomorrow.

Appreciate you sharing UM to his fans, I think that's great for the sport.  I believe you have an idea of what it's like to have a huge fan base for a horse as you have witness with Zenyatta.  You will have doubters about UM (myself included) winning the Derby but it's all about betting my money. I know how much you believe in this horse.  I wish you luck in May.  I also wish and hope that all top contenders makes it to the Derby in good health and in top form.

03 Apr 2011 1:57 AM
Deacon

Even before the BC Juvenille I believed Uncle Mo was the best 2010 two year old race horse, he went out and proved it. I have been saying foe many months now that I firmly believe Uncle MO will become the 2nd horse to win the BC Juvenille and the Kentucky Derby (Street Sense). I see no reason to jump ship now, your horse is so professional, so business like. You would think he is much older and more seasoned then he is.

Thanks for the post, and thanks for staying true to your belief system. A man has to follow his own path and you did that.....

Best of luck to you and your wonderful horse.

03 Apr 2011 3:24 AM
Jon

Since NBC is covering all the Triple Crown races this year, one wonders why they don't show any of the preps.  The general public will have no idea about the various horses cme Derby Day.  Back in the day all the preps were somewhere...usually on ABC which televised the Derby.  Loved watching Slew do just that in the Flamingo and Wood Memorial on ABC on his way to the Triple Crown.  NBC sems content to show some ho-hum golf match every weekend.  Then they'll wonder why ratings are low for the Triple Crown races?

03 Apr 2011 8:58 AM
Dell

Mike: Attitude is everything,you're making it fun by including Mo's family/fans!Keep surrounding yourself with good people-TP etc!

03 Apr 2011 9:07 AM
Equination.net

Thank you, once again, Mr. Repole!  Best of luck with Stay Thirsty today and I look forward to seeing Mo in the Wood next weekend.

03 Apr 2011 11:27 AM
KAREN WILLIAMS

Mike, I want to THANK YOU ...you are a wonderful owner and thank you for offering financial help to rescue the old forgotton horses as you did with BALL FOUR on his way now to OLD FRIENDS....why cant more of these owners/trainers help save the older horses once they retire and are out of sight.....Old Friends and many other rescue farms owe you a debt of gratitue...I hope you wind and I am passing the word to everyone on what a decent human being you are.....I am rooting for Uncle Mo .....thanks again....

03 Apr 2011 12:26 PM
Ted from LA

Ted from LA,

Tiznowbaby 02 Apr 2011 11:23 PM

Thanks Tiznowbaby. I will be there.  I look forward to stealing a rose from the blanket.  Mike Repole is going to hold one button back for Ted from LA and I will be sure to write a guest blog for Jason regarding the experience.

This Florida Derby is a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.

03 Apr 2011 12:27 PM
Katie

Jon

I have to agree with you on this one. You really have to be a big weekly race fan to know the horses and watch the preps, especially if you're not in the US.

I'm in canada, so I have only couple of US channels, the bigs one like ABC/NCB...so for me, it's impossible to watch races on HRTV....the NTRA live is only working for US people and NBC or ABC aren't showing any preps races...and I can't not watch the Oaks or half of the BC races cause it's oly on ESPN.

Couldn't be more grateful for bloodhorse showing the replay, free, for everyone. It's my only way to follow everything

03 Apr 2011 12:29 PM
karen williams

Mike, sorry I forgot to wish you the best of luck also with STAY THIRSTY.....YOU DESERVE TO WIN ...Will pray all horses running come out with no injury....Again thank you for all you do for this industry...they need more of men like you....

03 Apr 2011 12:33 PM
Deb

You are wonderful!  I love your life story and I love that you have made an effort to reach the fans. This makes me feel something special for your horses. Personal interest stories, stories about the horses, their personality, etc., is what makes the casual fan more interested in the sport and its athletes. Big thanks also for contributing to horse rescue. One reason I am turned off at times is the "disposable" attitude towards horses that some in the business.  You are GREAT!

03 Apr 2011 2:58 PM
Hoofbeats

GLAD ALL YOUR PLANS AND DREAMS ARE COMING TRUE

03 Apr 2011 5:29 PM
Ted from LA

Dialed In.  The pace will make the race come Derby Day.  Something tells me he can't close on Uncle Mo like he did that 50-1 shot.

03 Apr 2011 5:50 PM
stevebiscuit

With horses like Dialed In to worry about, I don't see Uncle Mo winning this year's Kentucky Derby. John Velazquez is going to have a tough decision on his hands when a horse like The Factor gets loose on the lead, setting things up for the likes of Dialed In, Jaycito, and Premier Pegasus. I see Uncle Mo sitting within 4 lengths of the lead, depending on the pace. If Johnny V moves to late, The Factor could shake loose and be impossible to catch. If he moves to soon, the closers will eat him alive. Mo had better get a heck of a lot out of the Wood Memorial if he's going to stand a chance against a much sharper and more experienced group of 3 year olds.

03 Apr 2011 9:35 PM
2:24

I don't know Ted.  I watched most of the Gulfstream card and for the most part it looked like conveyor belt racing.  I think Dialed In closing on that track was even more impressive than it looked.  Sure, I have no idea that he can catch Mo, but let's see what Mo does in the Wood first.

Exciting TC prospect list:  Mo, PrePeg, Factor and Dialed In (in no particular order).

Jason - your thoughts on the Florida Derby?

03 Apr 2011 9:53 PM
Ted from LA

Uncle Mo will win the Derby no matter what (Ted from LA is going to dress classical with black and white in the winner's circle).  Dialed In second.  Nehro (no idea on the spelling), 3rd... The Factor 4th.

03 Apr 2011 9:59 PM
LAZMANNICK

Sorry folks, but I can't take the Florida Derby all that seriously.  I’m not taking anything away from Dialed In.  He was a deserving winner and might have won the race if the track wasn’t so speed biased anyway.  This is the part that has to tell you something.  We have a speed horse and a bunch of stalkers and a stone closer.  The speed ran to the bias, but none of the stalkers, try as they might, had an impact.  THAS was stuck on what I think was a dead rail, pulled back and switched to the outside, was within a neck turning into the stretch, and then the speed cut the corner and pulled away.  Flash Point was rated like I figured they would try and rate him and when it was time to make a move on the turn, couldn’t really cut into the lead (and don’t forget the horse he humbled in his last romped in the Swale).  Soldat was stuck on the rail the entire race, closed very willingly on the turn and really looked like he was going to be a factor then hung and finished like he was confused.  I figured they would try and rate him to see what he could do coming off the pace, but the inside was no good, that and the dirt he took, which has to have some good in future.  Even Dialed In, when he came roaring up to Shackleford, suddenly had to work harder and grind it out when the speed horse found more.  Put this race on the Fair Grounds track, or Aqueduct or Oaklawn or Churchill and it probably would have been run differently and more horses would have had an impact.  I think Soldat will run differently in the Derby and improve and I’m really looking for THAS to step up as I was impressed with him today.  The Derby will be his third off a layoff……dangerous.  Stay Thirsty......I don't know.  He was never really a factor at any time.  Perhaps the blinkers had an adverse affect.  That being said, they all have to go some to beat Uncle Mo.

03 Apr 2011 11:13 PM
Dani

Mike - sorry about Stay Thirsty in the Florida Derby. At the same time, Soldat and To Honor and Serve did not come with their A games either. I think if Thirsty goes to the Derby and comes out of the gate with all pistons firing then he is a real threat to finish in the money regardless of what the rest of the field does. I know many people won't agree with me on this, but then how many had their money on Shackleford to run the race that he did. Good luck with Uncle Mo on Saturday; not that luck will be a factor. As Trevor Denman would say, "they'd need to sprout wings" to catch Uncle Mo.

04 Apr 2011 1:18 AM
Jon

JayJay, my name is Jon and there is another person commenting here with the same name.  Don't know which one you mean with your question:  (How old are you?)  My answer would be:  Why do you ask?  The other Jon can decide what, if anything, he many want to say regarding that.

04 Apr 2011 8:09 AM
dialed out

Not too impressed. Shackelford last 1/4 in 26.3 and last 1/8 in 13.6. The rest of the field fell apart leaving him alone to crawl home. Dialed In last 1/4 in 25.3 and last 1/8 in 12.9 didn't exactally burn up the track running down the Shack. Dialed In will have to close better than that unless we get another 2005 pace scenario and the leaders completely collaspe again. His 25.3 last qtr isn't bad but 12.9 last 1/8 is borderline in my book. Would have liked to see him finish much stronger. If he's 5/1 on Derby Day I'll play against him in the top 2 for sure.

04 Apr 2011 8:43 AM
Pedigree Ann

Jon,

Will you please read your history and a few ARMs (American Racing Manuals)? In 1920, the Preakness was not a classic race and not a part of any Triple Crown. It was a 9f handicap in Man o' War's backyard - the Riddle horses trained in Maryland. It was a prep race for the classics of the day in New York, which included the Withers (2000 Guineas equivalent) and the Belmont (Derby S equivalent). Even the Kentucky Derby wasn't a requirement for the top 3yos of the day; it was a good race to win, certainly, but not any better than the Travers or the Realization.

04 Apr 2011 9:07 AM
trackjack

stevebiscuit:

Good points.  In all of his races Uncle Mo has been eager to go to the lead or cruise just off the lead as in the BC Juvenile.  JV needs to get Mo to relax just off the lead and time his move to the lead.  I hope Mo is able to do that in the Wood, but having just one two turn race this year and going 9F for the first time in his career, Mo needs to get a lot out of thie Wood. In a 20 horse cavalry charge at 10F at CD, depending on the pace factor (and The Factor) and post position, Mo needs to show me he can relax behind the speed.

Dialed In is a stone cold closer who could eat up the field at CD if a hot pace falls apart.

Ted from LA:

When I win the Kentucky Derby, you are officially invited to join us in the winner's circle photo.  It would be an honor to have you in the photo.

04 Apr 2011 9:44 AM
Draynay

The Factor shake loose?  Give me a break.  Flashpoint couldn't even make the lead over a 68 to 1 shot what makes you think The Factor will even be in the race after losing the Arkansas?  Dialed In has to struggle to catch Shackleford?  Uncle Mo wins the Derby in a hand ride.

04 Apr 2011 11:25 AM
Your Only Friend

What has Uncle MO done of late.....it is all speculation....why has he not run todate.....cannot run just One big race and go to derby without creditials everyone is talking about.....why has he not run against Anyone. Todate it is ALL TALK.....

04 Apr 2011 12:35 PM
stayin thirsty

stayin thirsty 01 Apr 2011 3:10 PM

I told you so!! I told you so!!

Reports said the horse worked poorly and looked tired. Hope you all payed attention to my question to Mike even though he didn't respond. A complete toss out for the race, glad I did, did you? Dialed In was an easy single in this one.

04 Apr 2011 2:43 PM
Householder

Good night!  Here comes Zito again with a deep closer.

The Santa Anita Derby could come up sloppy.  It is supposed to rain Friday and Saturday.

Where is Baffert going with Jaycito?  I think the Santa Anita Derby is actually the more difficult.  The Wood is basically Mo and that's it.

04 Apr 2011 2:55 PM
no mo mo

Unca Schmoe will not win the Ky. Derby!! It's the Caifornia horses turn to shine!!

04 Apr 2011 2:59 PM
Ted from LA

The good news is after the Florida Derby we will not have to talk about Dialed In anymore.

Draynay 31 Mar 2011 7:31 PM

Dialed In will win the Florida Derby.

Ted from LA 31 Mar 2011 7:53 PM

Does anyone besides Ted from LA appreciate the beauty and symmetry of these two back-to-back posts from March 31?

04 Apr 2011 5:09 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Ted From LA

Are you and Mike still sending Stay Thirsty to the Derby? Disappointing, I really wanted to see you in the winner's circle with that polka dot bow tie you've been dying to show off.

04 Apr 2011 7:34 PM
Householder

With Baffert's Plum Pretty going in the Oaks I'm taking another look at Zazu.

04 Apr 2011 7:43 PM
Jason Shandler

I was actually very disappointed with the Florida Derby. Three of the top contenders ran poorly and Dialed In came home in a very average time--all out to catch a 68-1 shot. The more these preps are run, the more I realize that Mo is in a class by himself this year.

04 Apr 2011 7:57 PM
draynay

There is no point in talking about the Florida Derby.  The final time and the last quarter took forever.  There is not a serious Derby horse worth talking about from that race.  The only thing left to talk about is how much will Uncle Mo win by ?

04 Apr 2011 8:06 PM
MD Reynolds

Mo is in a class by himself. I'm trying to go to the triple crown races for the very first time just to see Mo as I believe he's going to take the Triple Crown! Mike, I'll always pull for your horses. Thank God for you!

04 Apr 2011 9:30 PM
jayjay

Draynay : How much win money did you put on Soldat?? You sound bitter. LOL

04 Apr 2011 9:30 PM
jayjay

Draynay : You're right, excellent analysis.  Dialed In is not a serious derby horse.  Uncle Mo is the class and star and he'll be the superhorse in the Derby.  Please ignore anything about Dialed In, don't pay attention to anything about Dialed In.  Stick with Mo and Dominguez's horse Brethren.  I think you're in the good wagons!! :)

04 Apr 2011 9:43 PM
MOONIE

Jason - any insight in who is running in the Grade 1 Carter this saturday?

04 Apr 2011 10:39 PM
Footlick

Dialed In has been lightly trained.  It is certainly possible he was still a short horse for the FL Derby and can still move forward.  As far as I know he has fast Bris late speed ratings, so him closing slowly here may be the product of the energy he expended getting into contention running a very solid internal 4 furlongs, going wide and a track which might have been tiring.  The danger is that he will have traffic as it looks looks like a big field once again for the Derby and he will be coming from far back.  Soldat swallowed dirt and that probably didn't help him.  He will be better off for the experience as far as the Derby goes where he will now know what dirt in the face means.  The rail didn't help him either.  They will regroup.  He has the most bottom of any of the Derby horses.  Will watch his training.  Flashpoint didn't break well and because of that his jockey wisely did not rush him to the lead.  It was not a matter of he couldn't get the lead.  It was the jockey's choice and the jockey decided to give him a chance to get the 9 furlongs.  As far as the 68-1 shot, I remember he was well regarded by many for the FOY, and ran poorly.  His trainer couldn't explain it, but he had faith in the horse.  I'm glad that there were so many who forgot about him and picked Bowman's Causeway and Arch Traveler instead.  It helped my payoff!

04 Apr 2011 11:11 PM
Ted from LA

trackjack,

I'm getting my Buckeye handed to me again in the Run for the Roses contest.  I don' know how you won that thing.  I appreciate your invitation to the winner's circle too.  I hope we get to do that next year.  Dr. Drunkinbum, Mike and I will be having Cuban cigars in the large bar in the third floor clubhouse during the second race on Derby Day.  That is where we will decide on Stay Thirsty.  He will be entered.  2:24, very good point about the track yesterday.  The word for the day is "todate."  Help spread the word.

04 Apr 2011 11:13 PM
Ranagulzion

Lazmannick,

Your post-mortem analysis of the Florida Derby was quite good except for you being "impressed" with THAS. That son of Bernardini has no shot in the Derby. None. He's been all hype as most of the recent 2YO winners of the Remsen have been. Soldat will rebound with a bang in the Derby IMO, provided that he races on or near the lead. There is such a huge difference between the kick-back from a dirt race and that from the turf.

Shackleford struck me as a grossly underrated colt. If he doesn't get into the Derby look for him to make some noise in the Preakness. The sons of Forsetry that are good are top class therefore ignore him at your peril.

Dialed In was quite awesome against that track bias, notwithstanding the final time.  Bearing in mind that he's a son of the AP Indy stallion Mineshaft, the best is yet to come from him. Also he has already sparlked at Churchill Downs therefore look for further improvement. He is a huge threat to Uncle Mo, with further improvement a certainty, off only four career starts.

I've backed off my assertion that "Mo" is a lock for the Derby simply because he could come up comparitively short on fitness especially if The Factor and Shackleford are in the Derby field and Soldat returns to his front-running style, with Premier Pegasus expected to make a big mid-race move and Dialed In roaring from the back.  There's another pacey and doggedly determined Derby contender that's going to emerge from the Arkansas Derby, trained by D. Wayne Lukas. if he comes through like I expect, Uncle Mo (still my firm fancy) had better be fit and ready or Todd Pletcher is going to face an awfull lot of fire.

04 Apr 2011 11:38 PM
TINAZOMAR

"AND JOHN VALAZQUEZ SAYS LETS GO UNCLE MO!" THATS THE TRACK ANNOUNCER AT GULFSTREAM PARK IN THE TIMELY WRITER. I CANT WAIT TO HEAR TOM DURKIN'S CALL IN THE WOOD WHEN UNCLE MO DESTROYS ANNHILATE AND BURIES THIS FIELD! 1ST OF ALL THANKS TO MR REPOLE AND THE UNCLE MO TEAM FOR GIVING US THIS EXCITING AND ENTERTAINING EXPERIENCE FOR ALL RACING FANS,I LOVE YOU ALL BUT MOST OF ALL I THANK INDIAN CHARLIE AND PLAYA MAYA FOR PRODUCING UNCLE MO...THE GREATEST THING TO COME SINCE THE IMMORTAL SECRETARIAT...I CANT WAIT FOR SATURDAY TO CHEER ON THE CHAMP..ALSO I PLACED A $500 WIN BET ON HIM YESTERDAY IN THE  KENTUCKY FUTURE WAGER POOL,IM GET BACK$2000 AND CHANGE AFTER HE WINS THE DERBY(I LOVE IT!!) ALL THE BEST TO THE TEAM BUT MORE TO UNCLE MO...I KNOW U GONNA GIVE US SOMETHING WE WILL NEVER EVER FORGET!!!!!!

04 Apr 2011 11:58 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Ted From LA

Beautiful, just beautiful, and symmetrical, very symmetrical wrapped in a hot dog inside of a bun inside of a riddle inside of an enigma. To go. Hold the mustard.

05 Apr 2011 12:19 AM
jc

what's the big deal about uncle mo? he hasn't beat anyone yet, not even as a 2 year old. the best horses he beat in the breeders cup were stay thirsty and jp's gusto. now he'll be running saturday against those two horses stay thirsty beat in the gotham and everyone will be raving about him when he wins. it's like quality road all over again. wait til he beats some good horses before calling him a super horse.

05 Apr 2011 1:36 AM
draynay

I am looking forward to watching Brethren in the Arkansas Derby but there is another horse to look at with great interest.  Santiva has won at Churchill and that is going to mean something the first Saturday in May.  We all know Uncle Mo is the winner of the Derby but we still have to find 2 horses to fill out the Tri and I believe Santiva will be one to have on the ticket.

05 Apr 2011 2:35 AM
GunBow

The second favorite in the current Derby betting was life and death to beat 68-1 shot Shackleford in his final prep.

That tells me that maybe Jason is correct about this crop not being the strongest.  There have been some good performances, mainly in maiden/allowance races around one turn, but the two-turn stakes have been slow.  Last week, the La Derby, Spiral and Sunland Derby were all relatively slow, with either moderate or down-right pedestrian closing fractions.  The same was true of the Florida Derby.  With Uncle Mo not having to run fast in the Timely Writer, we just haven't seen many strong performances in stakes at a mile or over.

More and more I'm beginning to think there are few amongst this crop(and even the older horses for that matter) capable of running fast at 10 furlongs.  Either Uncle Mo or a horse like The Factor will run away and hide, or we could see another Derby with a final half in 52 seconds and a monster super. A horse like Dialed In must be respected as a top contender if for no other than reason than the fact no other 3 year old has yet to run particularly fast around 2 turns(save The Factor).  Aesthetically, some of these preps have been like watching UCON and Butler.

05 Apr 2011 2:41 AM
the_wiz

Being a speed favoring track doesn't mean a closer like Dialed In can't finish his race fast. All the "speed" horses in the Fla. Derby collasped except Shackelford who crawled home in pedestrian time the last 1/4. Dialed In did not finish nearly as fast as a Derby winner should have. Jason's right, the more prep races run, the better Mo looks. I'd add IF he maintains form and moves ahead at all he'll be hell on wheels to beat May 7. The Santa Anita Derby has the potential to produce a big challenger but if it plays out like the last few preps and none of the horses steps up with a big win in good time, we are going to have another Big Brown Derby where the rest of the herd is fighting for second. I'm hoping a horse like Premier Pegasus continues to move forward in the SA Derby and The Factor does the same in the Ark. Derby. Without some stiff competition even if Mo dominates we won't really know how good he is. The measure of a great horse is who he beats and how good they were when he beat them. If they are all weak non-contenders like draynay says they all are then it won't take a great horse to beat them.

05 Apr 2011 8:36 AM
The Rock

Until post positions are drawn, who knows who'll win the Derby. Lookin' At Lucky drew post 1 last year and his fate was set. If Uncle Mo did the same, the same can be said for him.

05 Apr 2011 9:53 AM
Mike Relva

People can "cry" about the Fla Derby,but a win is a win. Dialed In was impressive. Sorry,Dray you will have to continue to hear about him.

05 Apr 2011 10:13 AM
Mike Relva

DRAYNAY

Got to hand it to you,after you were wrong last month about The Factor and now Dialed In you KEEP MOVING ON AND IGNORE YOUR PREDICTION BEING WRONG. NICE WORK!

05 Apr 2011 10:16 AM
2:24

Listen, I think Mo is the one to beat right now just like Draynay and Mr. Shandler.  However, I also like Dialed In alot.  What difference does it make that Shackleford was a 68-1 shot.  He was 68-1 off of one poor effort in the FOY.  And prior, he won a good allowance race.  Could it be that he was a nice horse overlooked by the betting public and experts off of one poor effort?  Fact is that most of these horses are being judged off of 3 to 6 starts at this point in their careers and are diffcult to handicap.  I don't place much on Shackleford being 68-1.

Something tells me PrePeg is going to have much to say about who wins on May 7.

05 Apr 2011 10:21 AM
Footlick

I don't know who mentioned it, but Dialed In was certainly not being whipped in the stretch.  He was being hand urged, but was running on his own power.  I counted two hits, which is nothing.  If he was being flailed the entire stretch I would say he was life and death.  I don't think the win was the priority, a good race to progress his fitness was.  Mr Zito wants him at his peak in the KY Derby, not the FL Derby.  I'm not saying he is my pick, but I'm trying to be logical about a prep race for a lightly raced and trained horse.

2:24- PrePeg is certainly training well.  If he runs another great race and comes out with his neck bowed and ready to run again, he will be a force I think.  I would have rather seen Jaycito in the Wood, but I won't second guess Mr Baffert.  All these trainers bringing horses up to the Derby know more than I do.  Too bad he doesn't send The Factor to the Wood-lol.

05 Apr 2011 11:04 AM
Matthew W

I am a huge Uncle Mo fan, he may have no other horse in his class, but he does have a serious challenge: the tenth furlong--I harken back to Snow Chief, who won the Florida Derby and Santa Anita Derby in brilliant fashon--he was a heavy Derby favorite, but the white elephant in the corner of the room was the tenth furlong! Uncle Mo, being by Indian Charlie, has a big question to answer, and until that first Saturday in May, all talk is pure conjecture--I am looking very closely to the Santa Anita Derby--looking for a horse who can close--if he can close at Santa Anita--not necessarily win (Ferdinand, Real Quiet, Alysheba), he'll be a contender at Churchill....

05 Apr 2011 11:53 AM
Ted from LA

Dr. Drunkinbum,

I see what you did there with that post.  I am going to nominate that post for the Blog Hall of Fame.  It's the best post I've seen todate.

I have visions of Strike the Gold (Dialed In)closing on Uncle Mo, but coming up just short this time for Zito.

05 Apr 2011 12:02 PM
Draynay

The clock tells you all you need to know.  Uncle Mo is 10 lengths faster than any other horse.  He is 4 races from greatness and there is nothing anyone can do but watch and enjoy the best of our time.

05 Apr 2011 12:26 PM
stevebiscuit

Draynay, as of now all Uncle Mo has proven is that he's 3 3/4 lengths faster than allowance horses.

05 Apr 2011 1:26 PM
Householder

Mattew W is making the most sense right now.  Love the Ferdinand, Real Quiet, Alysheba, analogy. A couple of those struggled in their last preps...a couple were behind the winners of the SA Derby.  Look carefully/look deep at that race.

05 Apr 2011 1:55 PM
greg sally

i think you are great for racing and i only wish their were more like you in racing. i will be at the derby and i wish you the best.

05 Apr 2011 4:00 PM
no mo mo

Draynay 05 Apr 2011 12:26 PM

If you are only looking at clockings which with this statement you are Premier Pegasus ran a 1:41.2 mile and 1/16th in the San Felipe while Mo could only muster a 1:42.6 best in his only trip that long. That puts Mo BEHIND by 7 lengths based on clockings alone which is what you are basing this dumb statement on. Your statement reflects ignorance of the facts you state.

Uncle Mo will not win the Ky. Derby!!

05 Apr 2011 4:03 PM
furlongs

I will say it again... Draynay is the guy at the track we all know. Mr. Perfect he always has the winners. It is always easier to pick the winners after the races have been run and tell everyone how that horse had to win. When he posts who he likes on these blogs he is LESS then avg picking winners and the ones he picks 95% of the time were less the 7-5 and Ray Charles could seen the horse winning the race. It is enjoyable to make fun at Draynay when he runs his mouth and looks dumb in the end but it gets old as well. I think Uncle Mo is a nice racehorse I have said that on these blogs many times but his BC win is starting to look lackluster if you look at who he beat and where they are now it doesn't look nearly as impressive as we all once thought it was. There are a few colts with the talent level of Mo only a few yes but it looks like he will have to face all of them in the same race and that doesn't bold well for Mo. If Uncle Mo does win the Roses I hope he goes on to win the Triple Crown for the Sport, but in no way can I see me betting him at the odds he will be versus who he has beat and the path he has taking to get to KY. HE may be indeed be the best of his generation but that doesn't mean he will win the Roses. Look at LAL last year. Also I remember a colt by the name of Point Given he was without a doubt the best of his generation and didn't win the roses because Baffert thought he was so much the best he wanted to save him for the Triple Crown. History has a way at repeating itself and it looks like Mr. Pletcher may be making the same mistake with Mo. Lets hope for horseracing's future I am wrong. Good luck to everyone at the windows and even you Draynay looking at the money you have burned in the wondows this winter I know you need it.

05 Apr 2011 6:55 PM
Mike Relva

FURLONGS

Let's hope Dray doesn't have to tap into his rent money,and also  conserve on fuel for his "jet". lmao

05 Apr 2011 10:21 PM
Forbidden Apple

Wake up people, Dialed In ran past the entire field with 1 breeze under his belt. If you think the FL Derby was his best, you are in for a big surprise. Leparoux cracked him a few times with the whip and he coasted to a Grade I victory. I thought his final 1/4 was impressive for a prep race and for a horse that was far from cranked up. Shackleford was game on a speed favoring track and he did not know that he was 69-1. Dialed In has the KY Derby winning move and has a win over the track, enough said ROOKIES!

06 Apr 2011 5:27 AM
Joe Alva

Mr. Repole:

Thanks for your accessibilty and passion for the sport -- we need more owners like you!  I wish you and Uncle Mo luck the rest of the way!  You have a very talented horse there!

Furlongs:

Your comparison between Point Given and Uncle Mo makes a lot of sense to me.  I remember Baffert's conservative approach up to the Derby believing he had the best horse in Point Given -- he did indeed, but when the horse drew way outside and had to be hustled early on in an unusually hot day in May, he showed that he did not have the foundation he needed for that grueling Derby.  The Derby essentially became the prep he needed to win the other legs of the Triple Crown impressively and thus showed that even Hall of Fame trainers are not infallible.

I fear this could also happen to Uncle Mo.  He looks like the most talented runner in this crop so far, but his Hall of Fame trainer is not leaving him much room for error.  I hope the Derby does not pan out as a prep race for him to succeed in the other legs of the Triple Crown.

On a different yet related note, I was present on Sunday at the Florida Derby and it was quite a hot day in which I think weather played a factor in the outcome.  Dialed In, who incidentally was conservatively trained for that race, performed better than his 93 Beyer figure indicates due to the heat.  Shackleford's effort was impressive too given those conditions although I think he really got used up in that race and, as a result, may bounce in his next one.  Soldat looked somewhat cooked and lathered up before the race and will surely improve in the Derby.  To Honor and Serve, who disappointed again, but improved slightly over his Fountain of Youth debacle, is also likely to improve in the Derby for a trainer who is lights out at getting horses to go beyond 9 furlongs -- I don't like him to win the Derby, but he could be a great danger to hit the board that day.

The Florida Derby outcome is therefore being impulsively dismissed by many without taking into consideration all the factors that played into it.  When Alysheba's slow Blue Grass Stakes outcome (a race he won, but was disqualified in) was similarly dismissed, Jack Van Berg's take on the outcome was keen as he reminded his naysayers that "time only counts when you're in prison!"  The Florida Derby naysayers may want to wisely borrow a page from that book!

06 Apr 2011 5:37 AM
jayjay

The Rock / Furlongs : I've been saying that for awhile now.  I'm glad there's other folks who recognizes what the Kentucky Derby race is.  Out of my top 4, Jaycito and Dialed In are probably who I'll stick with in the Derby betting because I'm not too worried about what post position they get. They don't need the lead, they just need a clean break and a good jockey to guide them through the traffic.  People like Draynay who crowns speedballs in a race with 20 horses without thinking what post they get are betting fools.  For the record, Draynay already said he will have all his money on Uncle Mo and he is just looking for the other 2 for the trifecta.  If UM gets an inside post (1,2 or 3) I bet you that he'll dump the horse and look for the "Borel" horse.  Of course, after the race, he'll declare he picked the winner even if he lost all his money on UM.

It's still quite early.  PrePeg, another horse that everyone (including me) is pretty high on is number 19 in the earnings list.  One bad race and he may not even make it to the Derby.

After all the preps are run, it still wouldn't give you the winner of the KD.  Two factors to consider before you make your bets.  They will have to get a good post position and hope the weather is something they like to run on.

I'm looking at the ones under the radar, the Funny Cide type horse.  Who runs his race everytime and peaks on the biggest race of his life.

Oh, and please people, forget about Dialed In.  That was a fluke win in the Florida Derby.  My advice, bet all your money on Uncle Mo (just like Draynay).  I prefer Dialed In at 10-1 or higher come derby day :)

06 Apr 2011 6:35 PM
Yvonne Bastian

I was there at the Florida Derby and was very excited to see Stay Thirsty race again.  To be totally honest, I enjoyed watching Nonna in the walking ring.  She took it all in and was the first one to see me standing on the rail sporting my "Repole Stable" hat.  Good luck with Mo in the Wood.  I will be watching for Nonna in the winner's circle.

06 Apr 2011 9:47 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Mr. Repole,

I just viewed the video of the "Get To Know Mo" event in New York today on NYRA's website.  It was very classy, cute and very well done.  I do feel, however, that since the contest was available to enter through Bloodhorse and you are posting these articles here and have a lot of fans and supporters of Mo right here, that Jason Shandler and a few of these Bloodhorse bloggers should have been invited as well as the four Facebook fans and contest winner.  I think that was overlooked but I am very glad to see the meet and greet finally happen, I've been suggesting this for years.  I am thrilled for the people who got to go, it is really something they will cherish forever.  It was great of you to do it.

07 Apr 2011 8:41 PM
pomdeterre

Tinozomar-

I believe Durkin's comment at the finish was something to the tune of- not since Secretariat has there been such a shocking loss.  I'd rethink my derby pick if I were you- comes in 3rd to an opt allowance colt??? OMG

14 Apr 2011 5:23 AM