The Best Division in Racing: Older Females

In previous blogs, I wrote about the jumbled and messy nature of many of the racing divisions. Whether resulting from early retirements to our best horses, injuries to key players, or the overall lack of depth in racing this year, with nearly six months in the books we have not solved a whole heck of a lot so far.

Fortunately, we have the older females help generate excitement. Without them, who knows where we would be. In what has to be termed a down year of 3-year-olds and male handicap horses, the fillies and mares appear to be our best/deepest division. In Havre de Grace, Blind Luck, and Awesome Maria, we have three justifiable superstars, and the first two have a legitimate rivalry, something rarely seen these days.

Havre de Grace did not beat much in the Obeah on June 11, but still earned a 97 Beyer and stayed perfect in three starts this year. For my money, she is the best horse in the country right now. Larry Jones thinks so too. She will go in the lucrative Delaware Handicap next and if successful will likely try males this summer at Saratoga. That could be fun.

Blind Luck was awesome in the Vanity Handicap, closing into slow fractions to notch her sixth grade I win. This filly in incredible and the way Jerry Hollendorfer campaigns her is great for the sport. He is willing to ship her anywhere and everywhere to take on the best, and she may be headed to the Delaware Handicap next to face Havre de Grace for the sixth time. Either way, we are likely to see her at Saratoga this summer.

Awesome Maria claimed her first grade I win in the Ogden Phipps to remain undefeated in four starts this year. She will be pointed to the Ruffian next month at Saratoga, where she might run into one or both of the aforementioned rivals.

All three of these fillies are special in their own way. Awesome Maria probably doesn't want to go much further than 1 1/8 miles, but at that distance is as tough as anyone; Blind Luck can sometimes be compromised by pace with her closing style, but has remarkably hit the board in all 20 career starts and will run over hot glass if asked; and Havre de Grace doesn't seem to have any weaknesses right now. Let's hope all three of them stay healthy and give us an exciting second half.

The loss of Unrivaled Belle is about the only downer in this division. Losing the Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic winner in that manner is very disappointing. Fortunately, horses such as Switch and Sassy Image give the division some depth beyond the top three.

Here is a quick top 3 ranking as I see it in other divisions:

Older Males

Pool Play's 36-1 upset in the Stephen Foster only added to the confusion.

1. Twirling Candy--By default. We won't know how good he is until the Breeders' Cup

2. First Dude--Baffert got his confidence back. Watch out.

3. Mission Impazible--Ran great in defeat.

3-Year-Old Males

Injuries have decimated this division.

1. Coil--A reach, I know, but I've made my feelings known.

2. Shackleford--Will be very tough in 1 1/8-mile races.

3. Astrology--I'm really reaching now but with Animal Kingdom out I need someone.

3-Year-Old Females

R Heat Lightning's injury was a big blow.

1. Royal Delta--Dealing with a minor injury but should be Ok for Saratoga; she has a world of ability.

2. Plum Pretty--Oaks was awesome. How good is she? We will find out this summer; illness will keep her out of Mother Goose.

3.  Joyful Victory--Didn't get the right trip in Oaks. She is better than that and will get a chance to prove it in Mother Goose.

Turf Males

The loss of Paddy O'Prado was devastating.

1. Sidney's Candy--I know he might be pointed to Whitney but I still think turf is his best surface. If he stays on dirt, I have no idea who to put No. 1.

2. Gio Ponti--I really do think he's lost a bit.

3.  Courageous Cat--His comeback was very good; Has a chance to have a special second half.

Sprinters

Division got off to a slow start, but it's heating up.

1. Big Drama--Will be back for Saratoga after freshening. Breeders' Cup is at at CD again. The question is, will he be the same?

2. Apriority--I know he's not even a stakes winner yet but he's run some big races in defeat and should have more to offer.

3. Noble's Promise--Finally found his niche. Ready for a big second half.

Bob from Boston

Noble's Promise won at Churchill on Breeders' Cup day last year.  This year, it will be in a Breeders' Cup race.  And you can take that to the bank.  Ted from LA has spoken using Bob from Boston's account.

21 Jun 2011 2:01 PM
JerseyTom

If some of these fillies continue to perform as they have, and colts don't show more, a few of the fillies may take them on in the BC. Of course, that's a long way off. ... Please note Havre de Grace was under no urging whatsoever in the Obeah and won by less than she could have, so I don't trust her BSF. (Surprise!)

21 Jun 2011 2:22 PM
Jon

Blind Luck was just super, when they turned for home i knew Switch had no chance and although the final margin was 1 length, it was a super easy win.

Baffert will be heard from in the sprint for sure.

21 Jun 2011 2:50 PM
Paula Higgins

Good blog. ITA about the three girls. The best horses racing out there in the U.S. right now. With Zenyatta and Rachel gone, we have these three plus Goldikova and Black Caviar outside the U.S. What is happening to the boys? Is it possible the females are becoming, as a group, the better sex in horse racing?

21 Jun 2011 3:00 PM
Jon

dont forget Frankel, Canford Cliffs, Paula

21 Jun 2011 3:20 PM
Stevebiscuit

Look at all those California horses in the top 3 Draynay! Not bad for a state that has "no quality" horses! Keep trying, I'm sure you'll get something right one of these days.

21 Jun 2011 4:00 PM
Smoking Baby

I agree with Jersey Tom.  Forget the time, speed figure and what she beat in the Obeah.  Make no mistake...Havre de Grace ran big the other day.  One look at the picture of her winning and I knew she won REAL easy.  Perfect setup the the Delaware Handicap.  I do think Blind Luck might beat her again if she makes the Delaware Hcp, though.

21 Jun 2011 4:02 PM
Weekend

will be a nice race this weekend with Joyful Victory and Plum Pretty. looking forward to Del Mar and Saratoga as well... Still waiting for my early Derby choice to get back on the worktab, Tapizar!!

21 Jun 2011 4:02 PM
Weekend

I also think that you may hear from Chuck Lopresti by year end with Successful Dan and Here Comes Ben. Here comes Ben will crush Dublin Friday under the lights. Tizway will be a good bet in the Dirt Mile.

21 Jun 2011 4:05 PM
Stevebiscuit

Havre De Grace will have no chance against Blind Luck at her best.

21 Jun 2011 4:08 PM
Criminal Type

I was really sorry to hear about Unriveled Belle. I really like her and will follow her broodmare career. Poor thing, that's gotta hurt. Same goes with Paddy O'Prado. I think he would have had a horse of the year, year.

I honestly think the best horse in training right now of any sex is Havre De Grace and I love Larry Jones. He is a great trainer and an honorable man.

Three year old colts as you say, is a toss up. The division is anyone's to win. It depends on who can stay healthy for the rest of the year.

Just to touch on the Female turf Division, do not discount Shared Account. She finished 4th in the Gallorette last year, again off the layoff, and went on to pull off the win in the Breeders Cup Filly&Mare Turf at, I think, 48/1 against very good company. She is 6 so, she will probably be retired after this year. I'm sure Sagamore & Motion's goal is to get her back on the grass at Churchill.

Speaking of Motion, he has a barn FULL of good horse's including Icabod Crane, Aruna, Smart Bid as well as the injured Animal Kingdom and Toby's Corner.

21 Jun 2011 4:09 PM
Householder

Blind Luck just keeps on going and going and going.  Like the rider change.

Havre de Grace 2 wins over Luck

Blind Luck 2 wins over Grace

It's the closest thing we have to Alli vs. Foreman.

Looking forward to the rubber match.

21 Jun 2011 4:54 PM
Footlick

Jon- also Pour Moi, Reliable Man, Workforce, So You Think and St Nicholas' Abbey.  And it Rewildiong holds form there is another top male in Europe.  They have Midday, Sarafina and Snow Fairy on the distaff side too.  This could be quite a European year and quite an Arc.

21 Jun 2011 5:35 PM
ashsport

Hate that Plum Pretty, Joyful Victory and Royal Delta will no longer meet in the Mother Goose.

Anyone have an update on MaClean Music?

21 Jun 2011 7:08 PM
skyfire

@ Footlick and Jon:  right on about the Euros!  They are exciting -- Royal Ascot was amazing -- I was constantly  going to Racing Post for the updates!

I like the 3 year old filly grass horses:  Winter Memories is sweet as is Bobby Flay's gal...she needs a firm course; good for them for going overseas, being sportsmen.

21 Jun 2011 8:52 PM
LAZMANNICK

I think it says loads that the last two G1 route races on dirt for males have been won by six year-olds.  In the Met Mile the first three finishers were six year olds: Tizway, Rodman and Caixa Electronica.  The Foster was won by Pool Play, another six year old, who had the distinction of passing the entire field from the mid point in the far turn home.  In other words, he outran some of the younger 4 and 5 year olds that have been held in higher regard hopefully with the potential to show more as the year progresses.  This was Pool Plays first ever start on natural dirt.

The best horses of the two crops now 4 and 5 year olds have either long been retired for breeding purposes or were injured early on and never got to show their true worth.  What we have left out of those two crops must step up and fast or this year’s handicap ranks will be a huge failure and this will not go unnoticed on other European fronts.

21 Jun 2011 9:22 PM
LAZMANNICK

Blind Luck might have fallen on hard times, if five consecutive 2nd place finishes in graded stakes races can be considered hard times.  However, it might pay to look at her schedule going back to last year.  The Azeri, where she lost to Havre De Grace, was her 12th race in 13 months and already her third race by March 19 of this year. She was probably tired and a little stale and los to HDG, fair and square.  However, it is interesting to note that going into the Azeri HDG had raced only 7 times in the previous 10 months and the Azeri was her first race since she finished third to Blind luck in the BC Distaff 4 ½ months before. After the Azeri, BL was given nearly two months off and since that time is two for two including a win against the reigning BC Distaff champ Unrivaled Belle, who was primed and ready to go, and a G1 win at 9F when she closed against very slow early fractions, getting her final 8th in 11.31 and her final 3/8ths in 35.23 when defeating two G1 winners.

My feeling is that if HDG can get 10F and continues to improve and if BL also continues to improve, and if the handicap and three year old male divisions remain mediocre over-all, we could see a first and that would be two fillies running in the BC Classic.

21 Jun 2011 9:35 PM
Paula Higgins

Jon, you are absolutely right. Would be nice to see them at the Breeders Cup-all of them.

21 Jun 2011 11:01 PM
Jon

you are right footlick, because of this last weeks race i lost track of them specially workforce

21 Jun 2011 11:08 PM
Jon

how about those California "Candy" horses.....although 1 has gone east.

21 Jun 2011 11:10 PM
ToTheWireFirst

If Successful Dan can come back strong from injury he may rise to the top of the division.

22 Jun 2011 12:33 AM
2:24

I am a big fan of Blind Luck.  What a throwback horse.  Although the running styles are completely different, she reminds me of Lady's Secret - a machine despite smallish stature, always runs hard, all heart.  Hope she and HDG stay healthy all year.  HDG is a heckuva horse as well.

22 Jun 2011 10:04 AM
Jacklyn

Don't forget about Goldikova!  She should be horse of the year if she 4peats in the Breeders Cup Mile!  Incredible runner!  What heart to run against the boys each time!  Would love to see the girls run in the BC Classic this year.  It's about time American Racing comes into the 21st century and runs the girls w/the boys like the Euros do!

22 Jun 2011 10:55 AM
josh

Blind Luck and Havre de Grace rivalry is the best thing for horse racing right now. I have several friends that usually don't watch horse racing unless one of those 2 fillies is racing. They were very happy when Blind Luck won the Vanity, as was I. I am surprised to see many people disregarding Goldikova already, after one loss. She, like Blind Luck are some of the toughest fillies/mare racing today, and they will be rewarded.

22 Jun 2011 12:01 PM
bill daly

Lazmannick has a good point: both BL and HDG belong in the Classic. Right now they could beat any of the older males out there. Another thing I'd love to see is for HDG to go west young lady and take on BL on her home turf {actually dirt or synthetic}. Such a match would surely elevate the sport and bring much needed attention - hopefully -from the public at large.

22 Jun 2011 12:58 PM
calico cat

bill daly,

Great idea!!! What a treat it would be for us to have Havre de Grace come to California! Sadly, the planes don't seem to fly from East to West. :) Would love to see Awesome Maria, in person, and several others also. Maybe this fall... Oak Tree is at SA this year.

22 Jun 2011 1:30 PM
TJLuvsTizs

It is a bit of a broken record by now, but I agree whole heartedly that the F&M division is the deepest and most interesting to watch right now!

However, I am disappointed to not see any respect given to Tizway or Morning Line.  These two will have a lot to say come Breeder's Cup.

Coil sure looked to be the real deal, just anxious to see how he performs out East.  Pants On Fire ran really well last weekend, and could be a horse to reckon with this Summer.

22 Jun 2011 1:43 PM
bill daly

Zookeeper, I overlooked Awesome.  She could get on the same plane. It's what racing sorely needs. Put up the money so there's no excuses and invite them.  If they don't come it's on them.

22 Jun 2011 1:47 PM
Sylvester

Forget about Blind Luck in the Classic.  She's way too small.  Those colts would bounce her around like a pinball.  Fillies have to be large and strong like Zenyatta and Rachel to compete against males.  The boys wouldn't play nice if BL winds up in the classic.  Although BL is still very good, she's basically the same horse she was last year.  The difference being she's been surpassed by Havre and Awesome Maria who improved dramatically over the fall and winter.  Those two are best in the division.  AM would give Havre all she wants and more and 1-1/8 but the advantage goes to HDG at 1-1/4. The Azeri proved that BL wouldn't very competitive on dirt.  It leaves her way too much to do at the finish.  Kudos to her connections though for not being afraid to test her though. You can't help but pull for her.

22 Jun 2011 2:09 PM
calico cat

bill daly,

Who me? Surely you have mistaken me for someone else, much richer... I'll pass the word along to Mr. Stronach and tell him of your superb idea. The Great Race Place and its fans would love to see him do what other track owners have done: make them an offer they can't refuse. :)

22 Jun 2011 2:34 PM
bill daly

Sylvester, she might be small, but she is mighty.  I think she can handle herself OK even with those nasty old horses bouncing her around.  Kinda reminds me of Northern Dancer - small but tough as nails. He looked like a pony next to those colts.

Lazmannick, if we have to wait for Frank Stronach to do something this obvious we're waiting for Godot.  You're certainly right about the dearth of air traffic from the east. I could understand nobody in the east wanting to test Zenyatta. What would be the point when there's zero chance of success, but Blind Luck looks a lot more vulnerable.  Of course, appearances can be deceiving....

22 Jun 2011 3:03 PM
It aint easy being good!

You guys have lost your mind Twirling Candy, Shaq even Ruler on Ice would run circles around these BL and HDG..... It takes a special horse to win the classic and Zenyatta couldnt even do it on dirt do you really think BL or HDG can.......no chance they are still fun to watch though.

22 Jun 2011 3:51 PM

SYLVESTER

AM has distance limitations,there's no getting around it.

22 Jun 2011 6:12 PM
calico cat

On the subject of Blind Luck's size, since she comes from the back of the pack, I don't think size is as crucial.

Goldikova is no Amazon either and that doesn't keep her from winning against the boys more often than not. When I saw her for the first time, in person, at SA for the BC, I couldn't believe that this small, plain looking horse was the great Goldikova that everybody was raving about. She's certainly the poster-girl for "good things come in small packages" and so is Blind Luck.

22 Jun 2011 7:05 PM
Draynay

Coil ?  Give me a break.  Let me know when the horse wins something outside of CA.

22 Jun 2011 7:42 PM
LAZMANNICK

Sylvester

What did the 10F Alabama and the 8.5F Delaware Oaks say about Blind Luck's ability on dirt when she caught and ran away from Havre De Grace?  And the Cotillion was almost the same though she ran out of ground at 8.5F and the 10 lbs she gave also had something to do with that.  And the BC Distaff says lots when once again Blind Luck caught and passed HDG and was running away from her.  Blind Luck handles dirt as well as any other horse racing.  The Azeri only proved that Blind Luck was tired after a tough campaign and it was already her third race this year while HDG was rested 4 1/2M from the BC Distaff.

22 Jun 2011 8:29 PM
Paula Higgins

Mike Relva ITA with you about the distance limitations of AM. Also agree with Zookeeper that BL's size isn't the issue. My money is on "Grace." That is one amazing horse. It Aint Easy Being Good, Zenyatta would have won that race on dirt any other day. She just about did. You act like she was at the back of the pack at the finish line.

22 Jun 2011 9:32 PM
Sylvester

Mike: AM is one of the top 9 furlong horses in training.  Go watch the Rampart if you can't understand that.  Can she get 10? Probably not but HDG would be in the race of her life with her at 9 furlongs and BL would finish at least 2 lengths behind. At 10 furlongs I give the nod to both HDG and BL.

Lazmannick:  The most ignorant thing you can do is look at what happened in 2010.  You need to look at this year.  BL wasn't even competitive against HDG.  I also think BL will next run in the Clement at Del Mar and not against HDG in Delaware.  Don't get me wrong, I love BL.  Her connections aren't afraid to test her like Zenyatta's were.  But face facts, they've already lost 3 times this year and don't want to lose anymore before the BC meet.

22 Jun 2011 9:34 PM
Weekend

Churchill got hit pretty bad on the backside. About 200 horses have to be relocated and a slew of backside workers. Hopefully when the meet ends next week they can get to work fixing the barns and have them ready for the fall meet. Roman's lost his roof, and I heard Nafzger, Margolis, Fires, Arnold all have damage. Luckily, hay was in the rafters in the barns and it protected the horses from falling debris. Thankful that no horse or human was injured. Scary crap!

23 Jun 2011 8:54 AM
Smoking Baby

Lazmannick...THANK YOU.  You saved me some keystrokes.

23 Jun 2011 10:09 AM
Smoking Baby

I tend to agree with Draynay on this one.  I'm not sold on Coil yet.  I don't think he wants any part of the top four or five 3 year olds right now.

23 Jun 2011 10:11 AM
Skip

Billy, I don't know if we're allowed to post links to other sites on here, but I'll try so everyone can see the same pictures that you got your information from. If Jason doesn't allow it then others will have to search it out but the pictures show it to be pretty bad.  My friend says they're basically okay and it was more or less situated in the area around CD, like the UL stadium etc.

www.courier-journal.com/.../Churchill-Downs-will-resume-racing-Friday-despite-damaged-barns

23 Jun 2011 12:07 PM
LAZMANNICK

Sylvester

Call me ignorant

The last time I looked, Blind Luck after finally getting some time off, won her latest two races in her customary style.  In one she defeated the BC Distaff winner who in that race was primed and ready to go.  In the other she closed very willingly into slow fractions and blasted past two G1 winners.  THAT’S THIS YEAR.  Maybe those races don’t hold the same weight of the G3 Obeah, but I’m sure her connections will accept them.

Regarding the Clement Hirsch, last time I looked it’s a G1 race.  G1 races are more important than G2 races.  We already know that Blind Luck can get the 10F (so far HDG hasn’t), so why bother coming east for the G2 Delaware Handicap.  Why not wait until the end of the summer and to in the G1 Personal Ensign also at 10F instead.  It makes a little more sense to me.  What will probably happen is that Blind Luck will be in the Personal Ensign and Havre de Grace won’t.

You talk about BL being competitive against HDG.  The Azeri was her 12th race in 13 months.  She traveled and raced east of California six times last year.  She lost races at Santa Anita to horses that normally wouldn’t defeat her on a track that was heavily biased for speed horses going around two turns.  Do you not think that maybe she was tired and stale?  Already this year she has traveled east twice and will travel east again probably at least two more times this year.

I think HDG has the potential to be a champion.  But you are ready to crown her queen of the mountain after a single G1 win (defeated a single G1 winner in Switch) and two G3 wins; and after winning a single race beyond 8.5F, the Obeah, and that against claimers and non graded stakes winners.  My feeling is that they ducked the G1 Ogden Phipps to go in the Obeah.  She didn’t need to race on the Delaware strip as she has done it four times already and last year, Life At Ten ran in the Phipps than in the Delaware Hdcp. winning them both.

Here’s a thought as Zookeeper pointed out.  Oak Tree is at Santa Anita and on dirt this year.  Why doesn’t HDG travel west and meet Blind Luck in the G1 Lady’s Secret, or perhaps take on the boys in the G1 Goodwood?  News Flash.  THAT WILL NEVER EVEN BE CONSIDERED.

23 Jun 2011 12:21 PM
DeadHeatDebates

The DE Cap bring very competitive horses every year. In fact it has drawn some of the top runners in the division over the past years. Life at Ten, Hysterical Lady, and Fleet Indian. Now it will bring HDG at least. The Hirsch, ever since Del Mar went synthetic has gone down. It has been switched around so many times there is no way the race can seriously be called prestigious. It only became a grade one 2 yrs ago, even with a lack of depth and history behind it.

The DE Handicap has always been open to 3yr old fillies and up, and has never run at less than 8.5fl and has always been run over good old fashioned dirt. Not to mention it holds a 750K pot, more than twice the amount of the Hirsch.

On the subject of BL getting the "rest" before beating up on UB, she actually had a longer rest Between the Breeders Cup and the El Encino. She should have been in form by the Azeri, and coming off of the speed way that SA is now, she should have been able to close, but still could not. HDG was running her first race in months and is the one who should have been rusty.

BL's size may hinder her against colts. She normally goes wide, avoiding all the bumping and jostling. Who is to say that the males will not try and put her to the test? However, IMO her size will not be her undoing, it will be her style. 9f over dirt, no way she will get a horse like Awesome Maria or HDG because both have much more tactical speed, and HDG now rates very kindly, which will make her even harder to run down.

23 Jun 2011 1:23 PM
Weekend

Skip, the only place that got damage was CD. there were a few other buildings that were wrecked on Longfield, and downed trees and powerlines, but the tornado basically hit smack dab in the middle of the backside. The sirens went off from 730 until about 10. It was crazy in the ville last night. I had a report of a funnel cloud about 1/2 mile from my house. We had about 3.5-4 inches of rain in less than 3 hours. Needless to say, there was flash floods, water rescues, and water in my basement! I could of gone wakeboarding in my neighborhood there was so much water.

23 Jun 2011 1:30 PM
Footlick

Laz- you know that ANY horse Blind Luck ran against in the Vanity is worse than the horses in the Obeah because West Coast runners are bad.  Switch just proved that, didn't she?  If a horse runs on the East Coast they are automatically much better than ones that run out West.  As for HDG shipping for the Lady's Secret on dirt?  It really isn't dirt, it's California dirt.  It is still fake regardless-lol.

23 Jun 2011 1:36 PM
Weekend

Thanks DeadHeat. I was about to go off on a tangent but now I don't have to. You said it just fine! No way Luck catches HDG at 9 panels on dirt.

23 Jun 2011 1:43 PM
Sylvester

Lazmannick I didn't call you ignorant. I said it was ignorant to look at last year as a handicapping measure for this year.  BL is the same horse she was last year.  She may have even regressed a little since she's yet to earn a 100 or greater beyer figure.  Whereas HDG and AM have improved tenfold.  You're also full of excuses for BL.  Excuses only sound good to the person making them.  Hopefully the three of them will line up in the Beldame and you'll see for yourself.

Deadheatdebates: great post!  Except I think right out of the gate BL would get bumped around like a ragdoll and throw her completely off her game.  It would be done on purpose too.

23 Jun 2011 2:49 PM
Householder

Cudos to Hollendorfer.  The same day he squares off with Saddler in the Vanity they're running up the road 20 minutes later at the San Jauquin Fair in Stockton.  I think the only horse to have logged more miles than BL in their lifetime would have to be Awesome Gem.

Rembember it's a 2 hour van ride from Del Mar to Ontario, where she flies into New York for another 15 hour van ride to the track.  What does Blind Luck do.  Steps off and wins a 1 1/4 event against the best filly in the county on her home track of Saratoga.

Bottom line, she ships well and is always dangerous.  She completly demolishes the idea that the west can not be "consistent" when they head east.  Del, Pha, Churchill, Saratoga, you name it, she shows up. No unexplained loses, just speed favoring tracks and missed timed rides. She hates Santa Anita. Go-Go adds a new element.  Add a little speed from Awesome Maria and it sets up nice for her.

As far as running horses were they are competitive.  I notice Midnight Lute picked up a nice win on the grass for Baffert.  He may be something to look forward to in the future.

Looking forward to the 3 year old filly Sarah's Secret, who is now 4-4, coming back in the American Oaks.

23 Jun 2011 2:51 PM
LAZMANNICK

Sylvester

I'm sure that at some point Havre De Grace, Awesome Maria and Blind Luck will line up and it could even have potential to be the race of the year.  Sorry, but at this point I don't include Awesome Maria with either HDG or BL.  Awesome Maria struggled to beat Absinthe Minded by a head in the Shuvee and yet in the race before, Blind Luck ran away from that one and beat her by three lengths, and in the race before that she was losing touch to both HDG and Switch.  True, AM defeated Unrivaled Belle, but it was in that one’s first start back after the Distaff.  Some horses can come back quickly after a layoff while others take a race or two to get going again.

You might base Blind Luck's defeat in the Azeri as the basis for saying that HDG has progressed past her, and you might be correct, but the again you might not be.  Like I said, BL had had a tough schedule.  Plainly she needed a little break.  HDG had a nice break of 4 ½ months going into that race and had proven earlier in her career that she doesn’t lose a step after being away for awhile.  Still, HDG struggled to get by Switch late, and Blind luck blew by that one late in the Vanity in a manner that suggested she was just getting warmed up (a good measuring point in judging her ability to get 10F).  I still question why HDG’s connections went in the Obeah instead of the Phipps.  If I had a horse that had potential for HOY, I sure wouldn’t have run in that race, but I’m sure they had their reasons.

I wouldn't read anything into west coast Beyers, especially on synthetics, which are usually anywhere from 4 to 8 points lower than those on dirt.  The Santa Anita dirt Beyers are meaningless too until they have more present day data to compare to.

23 Jun 2011 4:12 PM
LAZMANNICK

Footlick

Maybe they would let HDG bring a truck load of east coast dirt with her. LMAO

23 Jun 2011 4:15 PM
LAZMANNICK

Footlick

What's going to happen if Coil is all that a lot of people think he is?  Can you imagine the east coast-west coast arguement then?

23 Jun 2011 4:17 PM
Skip

Billy, just going by what someone who has a barn at CD said. The power lines at Floyd and Central in front of PJ stadium were knocked down and a few hundred people were without power.

It touched down on the backside and thankfully it wasn't a big one, yet still caused ancillary damage.

What neighborhood is that?

Seems like there should be a way to pipe all the water from people who don't need it to those who do. What an engineering feat that would be.

23 Jun 2011 5:16 PM
Skip

Also, Jinks was the one who was knee deep in water when the water pipes broke not to mention losing part of the roof on his barn.

23 Jun 2011 5:20 PM
DeadHeatDebates

Footlick,

Please quit putting words in others' mouths, it is not becoming at all. I will say that the Vanity was a better field than the Obeah, and nobody on here said it was not. What you and other are forgetting is that the horse that BL beat was beaten by HDG, as was Blind Luck.

The excuses for either do not fly. BL had a nicely timed ride in the Azeri, if not she would not have closed to finish second drawing away from the third horse. She was on her 3rd after a layoff, that normally bodes well and she was coming away from a track that made her look average because of how it played so much against her. She had won over Oaklawn before, so it is not like that was not an excuse.

In the Apple Blossom, Switch fired her best shot as well and was running over dirt again, a surface she seems to run slightly better over. It was also her perfect distance of 8.5fl and HDG still caught her.

Yes, there are some people who will have a strong biased against west coasters, but the majority are fair. BL has her supporters and deservedly so. Nobody on here has trashed her, in fact many praise what her owners have done with her up to this point.

23 Jun 2011 6:53 PM

SYLVESTER

What you mean is.....you hope BL has regressed. Wishful thinking and nice spin about AM. Repeat, distance limitations kinda like last yr when I stated Quality Road had distance limitations. lmao

23 Jun 2011 7:26 PM
John from Seattle

People listen please. Laz is absolutely right about Blind Luck.

Until Havre de Grace steps out of her comfort zone of Oaklawn Park and Delaware where she has won five of her six races (Parx being the other) and wins bigger races at bigger tracks she will always play second fiddle to Blind Luck.

No different this year.

Every time that HdG has tried she has failed (Grade 1 Alabama at Saratoga/BC Ladies Classic at Churchill).

Nothing has changed.  Blind Luck is the defending Eclipse Award Champion and should be at the top of the division.

24 Jun 2011 1:13 AM
Dr Drunkinbum

If you think Blind Luck can't beat the beastesses from the East I think you must be skipping down the yellow brick road after being tossed around in the tornado and landing on your heads in Oz. BL has run in the east, west, south and north already and won everywhere-Calder, Oaklawn, Saratoga, and CD plus out west against the big girls. There is no one she can't beat, no one. 9f is no problem either. She knows what the distance is, measures the leaders speed and times it right most of the time. 20 for 20 ITM with 11 wins. It's the best division and she's the best in it.

24 Jun 2011 8:34 AM
2:24

Amen, Dr. Drunkinbum.

24 Jun 2011 10:13 AM
2:24

Look folks, BL and HDG are both excellent horses.  They have faced off numerous times before, are both in the hands of excellent trainers, and both show up for most of the important dances.  BL, a west coast horse, whatever.  She is a nationwide horse who runs anywhere and on any surface.  And just because a horse runs out west and is based there means nothing.  A horse's talent is talent no matter where they are based.  I'm am just hoping that these great mares stay healthy, race against each other a few more times, and enjoy a happy retirement after the Breeder's Cup.

A note on Blind Luck - it is disheartening to see anyone write anything negative about this horse.  This is the type of horse, trainer and connections that we have all been waiting for.  A throwback horse who runs hard every time and runs in all of the big dances.  She should be universally applauded.

24 Jun 2011 10:22 AM
Weekend

Big race in Canada hey? I am going with the filly, Inglorious. She comes from off the pace, it is a big field, and she loves the polytrack at Woodbine. Why not.

24 Jun 2011 11:08 AM
Aaron McC

I agree that there were no excuses in the Azeri for Blind Luck, as there were for her over the speed favoring Santa Anita (and excellent tactics by Always a Princess and Bejerano).   Hence, the loss to Havre de Grace in the Azeri could be legitimate.  But I would also say BL came out of that race and a two month freshioning a better horse and her last two races have been awesome.  In fact, if you look back to last years speed figures, Blind Luck took several races to really get going (though that could have been usual improvement through the 3yr old year). In any case,  I think the rivalry between the two from here on out is legitimate.  And the Delaware should be a great race, and perhaps the spring board for a late campaign against the boys for one or more of these fillies, especially given the temptations of this years weak field of boys.

24 Jun 2011 11:10 AM
Footlick

DeadHeatDebates- Sarcasm is obviously something lost on you.  I don't put words into anyone's mouth and chastising somebody who made a sarcastic light remark about what seems to be very East Coast biased posts is not very interpretive.  If you have ever read any of my posts you would realize that I try to be very, very fair.  Many seem to think HDG is the best horse in the US period.  That is their opinion and they are entitled to it.  If you put either horses performance against Switch, they seem pretty level, but that is a European way of comparing them and probably will not fly here.  I think that Switch is equally adept on dirt and the Hollywood Cushion track. She seems to run her race regardless.  To be honest,  US racing is a bit of a bore to me this year.  I also won't engage in a back and forth, so feel free to interpret my post however you want.  This will be the only time I will defend mine.

24 Jun 2011 12:01 PM

JOHN FROM SEATTLE

Exactly.

24 Jun 2011 12:02 PM
Footlick

Laz- what will happen if The Factor comes back and runs the table in East Coast sprints?  Will they "adopt" him as an honorary East Coast horse?  What will happen if Sidney's Candy becomes the "monster" that everyone has been predicting but he has never been able to capitalize on?  It will be because he is an "East Coast" horse now.  (this is a tongue-in-cheek post, just so everyone knows)

24 Jun 2011 12:05 PM
LAZMANNICK

Don't forget Rail Trip.

24 Jun 2011 1:06 PM
Householder

The east is a complete mess.  Twirling Candy beat Noble's Promise at 7 furlongs ON DIRT, the last time he came west, and T-C is not even a sprinter.

24 Jun 2011 2:05 PM
Footlick

Householder- but has he won at Saratoga.........

Laz- now that he is on the East Coast he will really become a monster........

24 Jun 2011 3:30 PM
Footlick

On another note- Midday and Snow Fairy face off in Ireland.  Sarafina will take on the boys again in France, and Buena Vista will also take on the boys in Japan.

24 Jun 2011 3:44 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

2:24

Amen brother, your post at 10:22 was brilliantly stated. "Should be universally applauded is correct" but if they originate in the West even if they win the BC Classic, Longchamp, the Guineas, and the Timbuktu championship there will be Eastern detractors. Blind Luck is an esteemed tenacious warrior and might lose a race but can never be counted out. They might bet against her and get lucky but to bet believing she will absolutely lose is foolish. And she has traveled all over the U.S. Don't be fooled by any speed figures that are less than an eastern horse in an eastern race or two.

24 Jun 2011 3:56 PM
Stevebiscuit

I really hope Blame wins that Espy Award for "Best Upset"! It makes perfect sense considering that it's only an "upset" when the better horse doesn't win.

24 Jun 2011 4:21 PM
Jason Shandler

I knew that would sting Steve. First he beats her, then he gets nominated for an Espy Award. Must be tough for you.

She lost. Get over it.

24 Jun 2011 4:31 PM
Stevebiscuit

Why would that sting, Jason? I'm happy that they're recognizing it for what it is: nothing more than an "upset"! The better horse lost, get over it.

24 Jun 2011 6:55 PM
DeadHeatDebates

Footlick,

I've been told this many times be as clear in your posts as can be and sarcasm does not help that at all. How am I supposed to know if it is sincerity or sarcasm without hearing your tone?

You normally are fair, but to suggest that you are being fair by making that type of remark,towards this case is simply not the truth. Both coasts have the fans that refuse to accept a great horse east or west. Nobody is slamming BL, merely expressing the opinion that she may not be as dominant as last year.

Personally I favor HDG performance over Switch. The distance was more to that one's liking where 9fl may be a tad too long against the very best.

24 Jun 2011 7:33 PM
LAZMANNICK

Stevebiscuit:

I guess we can put Blame's name along side Upset (Man O' War) and Dark Star (Native Dancer).

24 Jun 2011 7:56 PM
Sylvester

Blame shouldn't be nominated for this award.  Most of the top handicappers picked him to win. Not Zenyatta.  So in reality, it would have been an upset had Zenyatta won.

24 Jun 2011 10:41 PM
Jason Shandler

I agree Sylvester. The only upset was that he didnt win by 5. He was much the best.

24 Jun 2011 10:47 PM
Mike Relva

Yes,"much the best" who will only be an afterthought in the near future.

24 Jun 2011 11:25 PM
John from Seattle

Blame being nominated for the Upset Epsy of the year.

I guess that make's it official.  Just a footnote in history.  Upset, Dark Star, Onion and Blame.

Wasn't the legendary trainer Allen Jerkens said recently that years from now that Blame's name would be put alongside that of Upset.

Little did we know it happened so quickly.

24 Jun 2011 11:54 PM
GunBow

I can't believe some people are arguing that Blind Luck can't win big races on dirt.

Wow, the ignorance!

Blind Luck won the first 5 dirt races she ever ran in, including the Kentucky Oaks, Alabama, Fantasy, and Delaware Oaks.  In 2011, she did win the La Troienne on the Churchill dirt.

Blind Luck has won races in Florida, California, Arkansas, Kentucky, Delaware, and New York, and has won graded stakes in the latter 5.  Who else currently racing has done that?

And just to be clear, while I agree that Havre de Grace deserves to be ranked the #1 older female, Blind Luck still owns the series lead.  While many people quote the series being tied 2-2, they have actually met 5 times.  Blind Luck has won 2, and Havre de Grace 2.  In the other meeting, the BC Ladies Classic, Blind Luck ran 2nd and Havre de Grace 3rd.  And just for the record, keep in mind that when Havre de Grace beat Blind Luck in the Cotillion, Blind Luck was giving her 10 lbs, and lost by a head.

The fact is, it has been Blind Luck doing the major travelling to create these matchups.  As Laz pointed out, there's basically no chance of Havre de Grace coming out to California for gr.1 races like the Hirsch or Lady's Secret.

If Blind Luck doesn't come out for the Delaware Cap, it's not because Holendorfer is ducking Havre but because the race comes up too quickly after the Vanity, and there's a gr.1 alternative closer to home(Hirsch) a few weeks later.  And after the Hirsch, Hollendorfer would be totally justified to keep Blind Luck in California for the Lady's Secret and then ship out just once more for the Breeder's Cup.  My guess, however, is that Hollendorfer will be the sportsman and seek out the other top mares in a race like the Personal Ensign.

25 Jun 2011 4:57 AM
GunBow

While I am a big fan of Blind Luck, I don't think she would have much of a shot in the Classic.  The only female that would be competitive would be Havre de Grace, and she would need to be at her absolute best.  And even then, she would be a longshot for the win.

I know Zenyatta made it look somewhat normal for a female to be running in the Classic, but there's a reason she's the only female in history to run first or second in a Classic.

25 Jun 2011 5:00 AM
LAZMANNICK

Jason

Blame did win by five......five inches.

25 Jun 2011 9:36 AM
Footlick

Misty for Me gives another powerhouse performance at the Curragh defeating Midday by 6 lengths in her first race farther than 8 furlongs.

25 Jun 2011 12:19 PM
DeadHeatDebates

GunBow,

Never seen you get upset before. Those who argue BL can't win big races over dirt are dreaming and you should know that. What I and several others argue is that it might be harder for her this year because of several reasons. One, dirt typically creates a more strung out field and plays to horses with more tactical speed. Two, AM and HDG have gotten better with age, and IMO it looks as BL has stayed the same, which is not that bad at all and still competitive with the top two in the division. The third reason comes from the ones i wrote above, and that is that both BL's main rivals this year have good speed/tactical speed and can carry it 9f pretty easily.

At 10f BL may be on a level playing field with HDG and be much the best against AM, but at 9, which is the distance of most major races in the female division, she may be at a disadvantage.

25 Jun 2011 12:49 PM
John from Seattle

Yes, Blame had his five length lead on Zenyatta at the top of the stretch.

Heck, Blame had a 25 length lead on Zenyatta going down the backstretch.

25 Jun 2011 3:00 PM
Jason Shandler

zzzzzz...The excuses are getting very old and tired. She lost. Time to get over it.

25 Jun 2011 3:21 PM

JOHN

Think it was Bill Nack that referred to Blame as a "good horse,not a great one".

25 Jun 2011 4:18 PM
Skip

Jason, I think most everyone is "over it" if there's anything to get "over".

You're right it's time to move on and it should start with you dear boy.

25 Jun 2011 5:37 PM
Sylvester

Bill Nack should have finished that paragraph with two sentence along the lines of "Zenyatta wasn't able to beat just a good horse on dirt who spotted her 3 lbs at her best distance on her supposed best surface. That makes her overrated."  She got beat. Blame was a better horse. End of story.

25 Jun 2011 6:12 PM

SYLVESTER

Ask Nack his opinion of the mare. LMAO

25 Jun 2011 8:51 PM
Footlick

Sarafina wins again, with Lemaire timing the finish perfectly.  The Aga Khan brought her back specifically with the Arc in mind, so this is just another step to their goal.  Such a classy filly.

26 Jun 2011 11:01 AM
Weekend

Gunbow, the reason she is the only filly to be first or second in the classic is b/c it is only 25 years old.... Everyone acts like the BC classic and the BC has been around for a while. It has not. I am sure there will be many more in the coming years.

I give Blind Luck a ton of credit for shipping everywhere, something some other's find very difficult to do.

27 Jun 2011 9:51 AM
Racingfan

Jason, now you have lost what ever credibility you had left when you state that Blame was "much the best".......

27 Jun 2011 9:17 PM

BILLY'S EMPIRE

Please get back to me when you ever own a horse like her.

27 Jun 2011 9:35 PM
Jason Shandler

Racing Fan: Thanks. She lost. Get over it.

27 Jun 2011 10:31 PM

RACINGFAN

Oh,right Blame is a superhorse. lol Some on here even refer to the mare getting "dusted". Funny,always thought dusted is by ten or so lengths,not four inches.

27 Jun 2011 11:07 PM
Weekend

You seem to know a lot about 4 inches Mike!

28 Jun 2011 9:28 AM
Weekend

Mike, please get back to me when you ever own a racehorse. Go away with your tired comments. You bore me

28 Jun 2011 9:30 AM
Weekend

BTW, Inglorious made for a Glorious Sunday at the Empire. Easy money...

28 Jun 2011 9:33 AM

BILLY's EMPIRE

You bore yourself,you don't own a racehorse either. Don't think your phone is exactly blowing up with calls from owners seeking your "expert" advice,although guess it's a nice fantasy to play pretend. lmao

28 Jun 2011 4:34 PM
Carlos in Cali

Alright,Billy & Relva- let's settle this once and for all.

I propose a 3-round shin kicking match in which the winner gets their pick of 'Breyer horses', brought to you by Jason(the one-hit wonder)and his scant winnings... ok,maybe (1) then.

28 Jun 2011 5:36 PM

CARLOS

You probably remember a vet who used to blog here,Tim G? Interesting when he called out Billy telling him basically he lives in a fantasy world regarding his connections to racing.

28 Jun 2011 11:49 PM
Weekend

Mike, You know nothing about me or what I do. You are clueless. I just choose not to put myself out there b/c people like you are jealous and haters. We have a horse running this week.

29 Jun 2011 10:56 AM

BILLY'S EMPIRE

Really? So Tim G is "jealous" also? Trust me,pal not jealous of you. lmao

29 Jun 2011 1:02 PM
Weekend

Who is Tim G? I forget? Should I be worried about some has been washed up blogger? No, you seem to hang on to every word anyone ever writes. Wheter it is some trainer you have never met, a writer that you happen to agree with b/c you can't think on your own, or your pal's over on the NTRA site, you are a weak minded person. Your comments are what drive people away. At least everyone knows Dray is trying to be an a**, you just excel at it

29 Jun 2011 2:35 PM
Mike Relva

If you continue to proclaim you're in racing,you just might convince yourself.

29 Jun 2011 3:01 PM
Stevebiscuit

Jason, is the reason the only response you can come up with is "she lost. get over it" because you can't refute the argument that Blame's superior trip and handling of Churchill's cuppy surface were what led to his victory? Just wondering.

29 Jun 2011 3:18 PM
Ian Tapp

Stevebiscuit,

Blame won because he better handled the conditions of the race.

Zenyatta's lack of tactical speed and difficulty handling the surface ultimately cost her the victory. Pretty cut and dry.

29 Jun 2011 3:46 PM

IAN TAPP

Maybe so,but it's pretty "cut and dry" who won HOY.

29 Jun 2011 4:26 PM
Mike Relva

Even Blame's trainer stated he had a good trip.

29 Jun 2011 4:27 PM

BILLY'S EMPIRE

Snappy comeback,Bill. Be my guest and convince yourself I'm "weak minded". Sounds like you might be, to dismiss a trainer like Jerkens with a silly comment that "you don't care what he says. A HOF trainer that's been in the business fifty odd yrs. pretty certain you would've cared if he made the qlowing remarks about another horse you liked. Please don't be coy and pretend that you don't remember Tim G. a vet that called you out and like myself doesn't believe for a sec you're a fixture in racing. It's inaccurate that I hang on to every word.  My income isn't derived from racing,there's no pass or fail here. So,how was your "visit" to see Zenyatta? Only ask cause you've never said anything else about it from months ago.

29 Jun 2011 4:36 PM
Ian Tapp

Mike Relva,

That's right, buddy. He won the Classic, she won HOY--these are facts. And "having a good trip" isn't a bad thing. Blame won the race for reasons stated above, and Zenyatta won HOY because she had the bigger fanbase and impact on racing.

29 Jun 2011 5:39 PM

BILLY'S EMPIRE

Careful regarding calling individuals "weak minded" considering you survive on a low iq. I'm certain you remember Tim G,a vet not a "washed up blogger" who certainly has your number,Billy.

29 Jun 2011 6:07 PM
Stevebiscuit

Ian Tapp, Blame never had to spend the first half of the race adjusting to the surface, his jockey never considered pulling up as the crossed the finish line the first time around, he never had to check off of a tiring Quality Road, he never encountered any traffic at the top of the stretch, having to navigate around a wall of horses by stepping on the breaks and veering around Musket Man among others. Zenyatta did all of these things, while Blame had a perfect trip, or as Garrett Gomez called it immediately after the race "a beautiful trip", and never had to overcome the obstacles Zenyatta did. That's a fact. Had his margin of victory been 3 lengths I could see how a better trip wouldn't have helped Zenyatta much. But a head? No way. If her trip had been anywhere near as clean as Blame's she would have won decisively. It astounds me that a 6 year old mare can catch so much flack for failing to run down a 4 year old colt in his prime, on his favorite track, who had the perfect trip. History will view it as such: Both career-wise and ability-wise, Zenyatta was pound for pound a better racehorse than Blame. No amount of petty blogging by the naysayers will change that.

29 Jun 2011 11:34 PM
Jason Shandler

Steve: How many sleepless nights have you had replaying that race in your head? Must be difficult for you. If it's any consolation, I took my massive winnings and had a nice family vacation. At least you have your souvenir ticket to savor.

The only thing "history" will show is that Blame defeated Zenyatta the one and only time they met, with Zenyatta actually getting a weight break. History can be cruel. But that is sports. It's time to accept the facts: She lost. Get over it.

30 Jun 2011 9:52 AM
Ian Tapp

Stevebiscuit,

Dude, let it go. You're making all the wrong arguments. We all know and understand the difficulty she had in the race. These are excuses. These are the reasons she lost. In fact, it was her best performance considering what she overcame. Perhaps if she had been trained or ridden differently, or had a testing, dirt prep race, she would have fared better. No one's debating "career-wise and ability-wise." We're talking BC Classic--going in she hadn't faced a G1 winner in 2010, and it left her underprepared to beat Blame.

30 Jun 2011 11:13 AM

JASON

I don't expect an answer to my question. Do you think for a second Blame will have a longer historic following than the mare? Doubt it.

30 Jun 2011 12:29 PM

STEVEBISCUIT

Here's the answer,cause some aren't bright enough. We don't hear any of them admit to the fact Blame had home field advantage. Sometimes in other sports home field is huge not counting as you stated the type of trip Blame enjoyed compared to her. They know if Blame had the trip she did he couldn't overcome it either. She didn't exactly finish last,did she?

30 Jun 2011 12:36 PM
Racingfan

Hey Mike, Hey Stevebiscuit, know what I think is interesting where Jason and the other naysayers are concerned....?  They regularly talk about horses that encounter a problem in a race and fall behind (ex: Animal Kingdom in the Belmont)and when that horse doesn't even come close to winning the race - and we see it happen all the time-that is the reason the horse lost and he is excused because he "had no chance". But when Zenyatta spots a field of male horses that are supposedly MUCH superior to her twenty lengths and loses by a head, she just isn't that great....? That logic makes zero sense and when it comes from people who are supposed to be "experts" in the sport, well that's where the lack of credibility comes in.

30 Jun 2011 9:56 PM
Stevebiscuit

I agree Mike, some people just don't know greatness when they see it.

30 Jun 2011 11:01 PM
Jason Shandler

No, youre the expert Racingfan. Enlighten us please.

01 Jul 2011 10:27 AM
Householder

Put THIS on your Saratoga calendar.  American Lady, trained by Bob Baffert, shipping in for the Test Stakes.

01 Jul 2011 2:25 PM
Footlick

Snow Fairy runs against Workforce and So You Think this weekend in the Coral-Eclipse.  Another interesting developement is Stacelita shipping here for the UN.  An in-form Stacelita would lay over this field, but it seems unusual that they would ship her here unless something might be up. Does anybody know if she is running on Lasix here?  I know alot of Euro's automatically do, but my thought is that she might have bled, so they are testing the waters.  Otherwiose, there are enough strong 10 furlong gr1's over there to keep her occupied, imo.

01 Jul 2011 3:38 PM
Skip

Ian can't you say that about any horse that loses a race?

By the way, what are you doing these days? Still with TrueNicks?

Did you ever go out on your own as a trainer after you left Todd's barn?

04 Jul 2011 11:10 AM
Weekend

Did I ever state I was a fixture in racing? I don't recall that. I am passionate about it, love the game, and love winning money. Wise Dan was an easy win. I told the blog to watch out for Charlie Lopresti the rest of the year. $30.00 to win on Wise Dan, after Charlie stated he loved his one and only work on the grass. That is fact, not an opinion.

Relva, D Wayne said Dublin was a great horse last year. How did that work out for him? He is a HOF trainer. Don't believe everything you read. Get to the track. Do it on your own. You will win a lot more money. Oh wait, that's right. You don't bet. You just visit the pretty farms and pet the ponies.

05 Jul 2011 9:34 AM
Weekend

8 months, and we are still talking about Blame. He is some Champion!!

05 Jul 2011 9:58 AM
LAZMANNICK

Double digit winners, in fact, any winners are more believable when they state their picks and give reasons why BEFORE the race.

07 Jul 2011 11:23 AM

BILLY'S EMPIRE

Great to know you're the voice of reason.Tell me what's the name of your horse? Asking cause last week you stated,"we have a horse running this weekend". You seem to suggest it's terible someone as myself that takes time to visit retired hoses that's given so much. Guess your primary motivation is cashing a ticket only! Nice.

07 Jul 2011 11:20 PM

BILLY'S EMPIRE

That's a lame,self serving comment regarding Dublin for the reason I NEVER BOUGHT INTO THE PREMISE THAT DUBLIN WAS GREAT! You have it wrong,I don't agree with everything HOF trainers and news media says. If you look at my comments last yr when Dublin raced I never was high on him. That's absurd,gather better data next time,Billy.

08 Jul 2011 7:22 PM
HorseShowStar

I just read this blog and looked through the comments. I agree with a good part of the blog, but after reading Jason Shandler's comments, I'll never read another blog of his again. It is ridiculous how disrespected Zenyatta is. She'll go down as one of the greats; Blame will go down as the horse who beat the great Zenyatta. Don't get me wrong, Blame was a very talented racehorse, but let's face it, had Zenyatta had a better trip, she'd have won. I can't believe Jason said Blame was much the best. He won by a head. If he was much the best, he would have won by much more. Yes, people put down female grade one races, but let's face it, the horses in those races are a lot better than people give them credit for. Zenyatta beat horses such as Life is Sweet, Hystericalady, Switch, St. Trinians, and Ginger Punch in female grade ones. Blame didn't win 19 consecutive races in a row. His longest winning streak was 5. Blame's total losing margin in his career was 9 1/2 lengths. Zenyatta's was a head. Blame's average winning margin was about 3/4 of a length while Zenyatta's was nearly 2 lengths. Blame had 3 grade one victories while Zenyatta had 13. Blame's winning percentage was about 69% while Zenyatta's was 95%. Zenyatta had to deal with a lot of traffic and had to make up double digit lengths while Blame had a much easier trip in the 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic. She only lost by a head. Yes, she lost. We are all aware of that. But it's quite ridiculous to say that Blame was much the best. Like I said, if he was much the best, he would have won by a lot more than a head. If you think Blame was much the best, then Jon Kitna is better than Peyton Manning since he beat him. Then Upset was much better than Man O' War. Then J.O. Tobin, Dr. Patches, and Exceller were better than Seattle Slew. Then High Cascade, A P Valentine, Macho Uno, and Monarchos were better than Point Given. Then Songtress, Garden District, Sara Louise, Zardana, Unrivaled Belle, and Persistently were better than Rachel Alexandra. Look at the stats. Blame was not much the best. Zenyatta was much the best. Get over it.

19 Jul 2011 4:48 PM
Jason Shandler

HorseShowStar: Thanks for your comments. Zenyatta lost. Blame won and was much the best. Time to move on. Get over it.

22 Jul 2011 3:40 PM