Share Your Memories

A foal of 1980 by Icecapade, out of Bushel-n-Peck, Wild Again arrived at Three Chimneys in December of 1991 as part of the dissolution of Calumet Farm.  At that point, he had three crops of racing age.  Throughout his career he commanded billing as a leading general sire, juvenile sire, and broodmare sire.  He has sired eight millionaires, four champions, 88 stakes winners, and 148 two-year-old winners.  His offspring earnings consistently ranked above $4 million year after year and his runners won at the highest levels over all distances.  Due to declining fertility, he was pensioned in October of 2004, but remained in good health until his death.

Wild Again earned $2,204,829 on the track, but will always be remembered for his longshot win in the inaugural Breeders' Cup Classic-G1.  In that race, Wild Again, supplemented at a cost of $360,000, prevailed in a ferocious stretch drive that involved considerable bumping between Wild Again, Gate Dancer and Slew o' Gold and -- finally -- survived a nine-minute-long stewards' examination of the finish to become the first winner of Thoroughbred racing's richest event.

Natalie from Omaha

How sad.  We'll all miss him.

05 Dec 2008 3:54 PM
aspradling

Hey Bud,

Remember how to stay young! You were always good at that, and being the center of attention.

05 Dec 2008 4:08 PM
jazz

Hopefully he will always be remembered.  I find it sad even though he was 28.  You just want them to live forever.

05 Dec 2008 4:13 PM
Mamie

He was one of my all time favorites.  I will never forget visiting Three Chimneys in 2001 and they brought him out of his stall and allowed us to take photos of him.  That same day we saw Seattle Slew, my all time favorite, and I was able to have my picture taken with him.  I was like a little kid, thrilled with seeing 2 of my favorites!  We had been to Three Chimneys in 2000 and Slew was not there due to having  his first surgery, and Wild Again was out in his paddock and I only could see him from a distance, so seeing both of them close up in 2001 was like hitting the jackpot!  :-)

05 Dec 2008 4:22 PM
Joan

I never got to meet him but no one who saw his BC Classic win could ever forget him.  He was the epitome of determination and the will to win.  I wasn't a particular fan of his until about midway down the stretch and then his great heart won me over, and I rooted him home along with everyone else.  Rest in peace, Wild Again.  You were some horse.

05 Dec 2008 4:28 PM
Rggc

I too saw Wild Again when I was at the farm.  He wasn't the horse I came to see, but I remember him because he seemed very interested in his us and that made all the difference. To my suprise,(Im the big horse nut) my husband was excited to see him. He remembered his Classic and said he always bet on him when he raced. I have a nice shot of him with his head over the fence and if I remember correctly he wasn't the biggest horse in height but I do know he was big horse in heart. RIP Wild Again.

05 Dec 2008 4:33 PM
LoveMyLava

He was my pick in the inaugural BCC, and I didn't know hardly anything about him. But that big supplemental entry fee made me think his owners must have a pretty good idea of what they had in him!

What a show he put on, with fellow runners Gate Dancer and Slew O Gold. That Classic put the whole production on the map, and the sport owes all three of those old friends a great debt.

I was lucky enough to visit Wild Again just a couple years ago, and he was such a sweet old man, happy, and content and enjoyed the attention.

Thanks for the memories, big guy, the fans and racing history will NEVER forget you!

05 Dec 2008 4:49 PM
barb

RIP old warrior. You will be remembered.

05 Dec 2008 4:59 PM
Ofelia

I remember him well. I visited Three Chimneys 2 years ago to see Dynaformer when my attention was drawn to a "wild stallion" running the fence line and greeting visitors! It was Wild Again at 26 years old acting like a young colt. He was the loveliest sight to behold. Wild Man, Wild Mane, Wild Again- RIP

05 Dec 2008 5:02 PM
Cameron

I am heartbroken.......my parents breed racehorses and we have many Wild Again babies, I saw him lots through the years, and he was always a gentleman of class........RIP beloved boy

05 Dec 2008 5:20 PM
Tanzkd

Made a special trip to see  Wild Again at Three Chimneys this past May  & to thank him for all the great memories. Glad I did. RIP. Thanks!

05 Dec 2008 5:38 PM
Meg

another favorite of mine gone...take care of the young bucks big guy, keep 'em in line

05 Dec 2008 5:42 PM
Jody D.

God Speed Champ! Thanks for the memories and rest in peace. We will all miss you!

05 Dec 2008 5:45 PM
joe

In 1984 I was a huge Slew O' Gold fan; I was at two of his wins that year, including the Woodward.  But I really admired Wild Again's gutsy BC win, and saw both, and the great Seattle Slew-Capote too, at Three Chimneys in 1996 and 99. They brought them out into the center of the stallion barn, to stand on a little mound while accomplishments were recited.  Wild Again set a BC standard in that win-I can still hear that Hollywood Park roar (via my t.v.).  Time moves on, but I hate to see the 70's and 80's GREATS and now Wild Again gone--but never forgotten.

05 Dec 2008 5:48 PM
s lee

Ah, Wild Again.

I was a Gate Dancer fan, but I loved that stretch drive (which was actually more like a bumper car race than a horse race) and those horses going after each other, nobody giving an inch.  What a great first Classic!

Thanks for the memories, Wild Again, and thanks to Three Chimneys for giving him such a good home for so long.

05 Dec 2008 5:59 PM
Horsetrader

In the winter of 1984 while working the 2 year old in training sales in Florida having just started out on my own as bloodstock agent.  I was doing what bloodstock agents do,a lot of BS'ing.  I ran into Bill Allen (Black Chip Stables) a great guy from Texas at Gulfstream and tried to get him interested in a horse I had for sale.  He told me he was a seller not a buyer and proceeded to tell me a about a 4 year old colt he owned that showed decent form at 2 but got hurt as a 3 year old after his only start of that year.  He priced him at $150,000 and I went to work trying to make a case for him.  I had a client vet him but he had a small chip.  The client made an offer but Bill turned it down. I tried to put a partnership together but came up a little short of the asking price and the rest is history. I ran into Bill shortly after the BC and one of the first things he said to me was how glad he was I did not get the horse sold for him.  I tried to buy him again along with Capote after the fall of Calumet. A fond memory of a nice horse.

05 Dec 2008 6:17 PM
John Henry Fan

John Henry, the wise 'ole man, I'm sure greeted Wild Again at Heaven's paddock. The wind blowing through their mane... Rest in peace WILD AGAIN. You will not be forgotten.

05 Dec 2008 6:20 PM
Carol

Wild Again

What a sad day this is, like they said we all knew this day was coming but it is never easy to say good bye to the one you love, no matter how they leave us, you gave great memories that can now be cherished for years to come. When I brought Mares to the barn I got the chance to see you a few times and what a beauty you were,such a gentleman, which I will carry in my memories of you great Champion, Rest in Peace now sweet boy you have earned your rest, you will be greatly missed by all your fans.  God Bless You

05 Dec 2008 6:59 PM
Vicki

In this time of sadness, I'm reminded of a quote attributed to owner Gretchen Jackson on the death of Barbaro: "Certainly, grief is the price we all pay for love."  Wild Again - always so beautiful, always so classy; will be forever loved, will be forever missed. And now he rests.

05 Dec 2008 7:54 PM
belles forever

wild again showed true grit in the b.c.wow what a racehorse!he lived a good long life..blessings

05 Dec 2008 7:55 PM
Gary

When you are the first to walk any path you will always be remembered for that accomplishment. One of the hardest fought victories and Wild prevailed. The first Breeder’s Cup Classic Winner can never be taken away.  There is just nothing you can say to make it any easier.

05 Dec 2008 9:05 PM
Richie

I last visited Three Chimneys in 2007 and was so thrilled to see Wild Again, Slew O'Gold and Capote being cared for just as if they were still active stallions- my favorite farm by far. I thought it was fitting that Wild Again and Slew O'Gold ended up very close to each other in retirement just as in that great 1984 Classic. Now they are all gone, which is sad but they all had a fine retirement at Three Chimneys. Well done folks! Thanks for taking the time to spoil these wonderful old gentlemen.

05 Dec 2008 9:37 PM
Rocky

Rest In Peace Wild Again, you were a true Thoroughbred.

05 Dec 2008 10:10 PM
Susan SM

I remembered to watch Wild Again been on little rough trip to finish line with Slew O'Gold and Gate Dancer in Breeders' Cup in 1984. Blessing Wild Again.

05 Dec 2008 10:30 PM
leah

Im A Vary Sad Girl

Now That He Is Gone

I Will Miss Him So Much

And Never Got To Breed One Of

My Mares To Him

I Will Miss You Alot

Rest In Peace

Run Abuve Lay In Grass

And Roses, Love You

05 Dec 2008 10:38 PM
nina

Godspeed Wild Again. Your blood runs through great champions. A legacy to be wild about.

05 Dec 2008 10:46 PM
bcgreg

I was there...in 1984 at Hollywood Park for the first BC!  Wild Again with Pay Day aboard was my bet at 30-1!  Thank you Wild Again for the memories and for all your successful progeny.  God´s Rest in Horse Heaven, Bob Gregory

05 Dec 2008 10:56 PM
kimc

I first saw Wild Again in '92 at Three Chimneys>>his groom was eating an apple> a bite for the groom, then a bite for Wild....he was so cool> I had my picture taken standing next to him outside, and I still have it on my wall>to stand your ground against "the big horse" Slew o'gold, in the big race that year> what great courage!! Thanks for the memories!!!

05 Dec 2008 11:10 PM
Good Doctor

You made the Breeders Cup right out of the gate. Your class made you a role model for all living things. You will never, ever be forgotten. You earned every bit.

05 Dec 2008 11:48 PM
jbred69

Rest in peace, Champ.  Memories of you will live on in the hearts of many.  You will never be forgotten.  A special 'thank you' Three Chimneys.

06 Dec 2008 12:44 AM
badger17

Thanks to modern video and the short history of the cup races, Wild Again will be remembered among racing fans as much as the Packers are for winning the 1st Super Bowl.  A long lasting rememberence for a champion.

06 Dec 2008 1:04 AM
barry e.

Another racing legand leaves us, a legand in the breeding shed and on the racetrack. One of my wagering angles has been betting on wild again offspring. One of my all time favorite horses. Wish I could have seen him in person. RIP

06 Dec 2008 2:03 AM
Mentone

May he rest in peace what a race that BC classic was.Out of interest what ever became of Gate Dancer?

06 Dec 2008 8:02 AM
danielle

Went to Three Chimneys last February to see Smarty Jones and Point Given a couple of our family favorites and the horse that I loved seeing most there was Wild Again.  It wasn't our first trip to the farm and I had seen him many times before but what impressed me about him was his eyes, he had the kindest eyes in the world and he loved the attention we were giving him and he loved his groom, whose feelings were mutual.  It's a sad to lose a horse with so much heart for racing as he showed in the 84 BC Classic and heart for people which he showed everyday when the tours came through the barn.  You will be missed.  RIP Wild Again, say hello to my girl up there.

06 Dec 2008 8:49 AM
Phil F

Tears run down my cheeks as I remember this wonderful animal. I will always remember his breeders cup race-what a huge heart. So sorry for all at the farm who had to love this animal.

06 Dec 2008 8:51 AM
bb47

I visited Three Chimneys in 1997 and I remember Wild Again laying in his stall sleeping. Even laying down I felt there was something special and really cool about him. Thanks to Three Chimneys for giving him a great place to live and lots of love. Love his name too.

06 Dec 2008 8:54 AM
Amy A.

He was my favorite in the Classic (I`m partial to dark horses). I`ve always been interested in his babies too. Offlee Wild`s win in the Mass Cap (Prado aboard) against Funny Cide was remenicent of his daddy`s win in the BC Classic. RIP Wild Again

06 Dec 2008 9:26 AM
mk

WHAT A BROODMARE SIRE!  WE HAD GREAT LUCK WITH HIS DAUGHTERS AND HAD THE CLASSIC PLACED, MACHO AGAIN.

06 Dec 2008 10:05 AM
Tom

I was blessed to visit him last April when they took him out of his stall so I could photograph him.  Dynaformer threw a fit but my attention was soley on Wild Again who was a champion to the end.

06 Dec 2008 10:13 AM
Lisa

You were a beloved legend.  Now you will be healthy again and will be able to run in the most beautiful pastures ever imagined.  You will live for ever in my heart.

06 Dec 2008 10:25 AM
Karen in Indiana

I just saw him last week. I went to see Big Brown and we were all at the paddocks by the office. They led Big Brown out & then Rahy. Then they led out a horse from a far paddock up the hill. That horse came bouncing down the hill like a prize fighter! It was Wild Again and that was the only good picture I have of him because he was bouncing around too much to get one up close and it has been my wallpaper on my computer since. On the one hand, I'm heartbroken that I just met him and he's gone. On the other hand, there was no doubt that he's been very well taken care of and he was a happy horse.

06 Dec 2008 10:25 AM
Patrick W

I am fortunate enough to have one of his grand daughters, by Wild Rush.  She has a blaze nearly the same as her grand dad.

06 Dec 2008 10:46 AM
Tommie in Oklahoma

Wild Again was my all time favorite.  So sorry we have lost him.  Farewell, old friend.

06 Dec 2008 11:02 AM
MRO

I was/am also a Slew O' Gold fan, so I got off to a rocky start with Wild Again. However, time heals a lot of wounds, and I can genuinely say I'm devastated by the loss of Wild Again. Another thank you to Three Chimneys for the care & love shown to the pensioned stallions. Be nice to Capote, Wild Again.

06 Dec 2008 12:35 PM
crazyolecatlady

I was able to see Slew o Gold, John Henry,Capote, Slew and Wild Again. I was so blessed. I have their pictures taken at Three Chimneys and at the Horse Park. When I travel the trail they have already traveled, I hope to see them and my Gustav happy and well. Thank goodness for the care Three Chimneys and the Horse Park gives to the horses who live there.

06 Dec 2008 1:37 PM
Sandra Warren

I saw Wild Again run in Northern California when they brought him north to run in a prep allowance race that they wrote for him before the Breeders Cup.  He hadn't run much as a 3yo, if at all, and I remember thinking, "Who is this horse that the racing secretary would kowtow to write a race for?"  He had quite a lot of buzz but he flopped up north, running third, I think.  The first BC Classic was getting a lot of attention because of the enormous purse, and I thought it was a joke that they entered him in the Classic for his next race after losing an allowance race at BM.  But first he dueled with the rabbit Mugatea and Precisionist -- later a champion Sprinter -- for a half mile, and then gutted it out through one of the top two or three stretch drives I've seen in my lifetime.  He earned my eternal respect that day, and I'm so glad the stewards didn't take him down.  What a memorable horse, and I was so glad to see him become a pretty good sire, too.

06 Dec 2008 1:40 PM
Vespone

Just turned on HRTV to catch the Wild Again gelding, Dude Again winning the 3rd at Laurel. Wild Again, you live on.

06 Dec 2008 1:41 PM
Terry

I was one of the five original ownersof this great athlete Needless to say he changed our lives Thanks to all who commented for your kind words and thoughts

06 Dec 2008 3:03 PM
Bettye

I was lucky to see Wild Again when

I visited Three Chimneys.  Such a beautiful animal.  We are loosing the really good ones.  I just saw his granddaughter win at Calder a

few minutes ago. A wonderful champion and sire!

06 Dec 2008 3:42 PM
Christie

Back in 1994, I visited Three Chimneys during breeding season with a group from Texas A&M. I will never forget the old crew of Chief's Crown, Wild Again, Capote and the immortal Seattle Slew! I will always treasure my old photos of these amazing horses. Since then, I've always bet on runners with Wild Again in their pedigree, and they rarely disappointed me!

06 Dec 2008 4:06 PM
Char F

I got to see Wild Again, my favorite stallion, at Three Chimneys on a trip to the 2001 Kentucky Derby.  I had followed his career and also went to his one of his sons, Vicar, another favorite of mine.  Wild Again has been good me at the track and I will never forget his beauty and kind eyes!  Sleep peacefully.

06 Dec 2008 4:13 PM
newsline2

Wild Again races on with his granddaughter, Wild Promises, a winner today.

06 Dec 2008 6:26 PM
Audra

Wild Again.....may you be truly Wild Again now!!!  R.I.P.

06 Dec 2008 7:00 PM
spencer mink

Gran daddy you had an awesome  horse how lucky you were to have him as part of your life.

06 Dec 2008 7:50 PM
Charles

I remember Wild Again's memorable Breeder's Cup win and followed his stud career. I own a Wild Rush mare who is typical of his descendants.  I last saw him on the day Big Brown was welcomed to Three Chimneys when he stood proudly surrounded by admirers.  He looked so well that it is hard to believe that he left us less than a month later.

06 Dec 2008 8:25 PM
darlene

I visited 3 chimmeys farm in the summer of 2007 and saw Wild again and Slew o Gold  the two champions were in the same barn and both well cared for I remember the guide saying that Wild again beat Slew o gold and it was only fitting that the two were together in retirement  Now they are both gone but they will never be forgotten. RIP you are a champion and thanks to Three Chimmeys farm for taking such good care of him.

06 Dec 2008 10:06 PM
Logan

I have one of Wild Again's sons from his first crop, he's been my buddy for nearly 15 years since he came off the track at age 6.  From the photos I've seen, they seem to share some of the same expressions and kind eye.  While I never got to meet Wild Again, my brother and sister-in-law visited Three Chimneys a number of years ago, and took some photos for me.  They were very impressed with him, and the staff at the farm.  His heart and determination in the BC Class is undeniable.  It sounds like he thoroughly enjoyed his retirement and all of the attention at Three Chimneys, thank you to the people there for taking such good care of him.  I'm very sad to know that he is gone...RIP, Wild Again.

07 Dec 2008 1:33 AM
da3hoss

One of my best long-shots ever! I loved Slew-o-gold, too, what a race, the 3 of you.

Run free, run wild in Heaven's wide open fields.

07 Dec 2008 8:36 AM
fanofallthree

It's just not possible that 24 years has gone by.  My throat is still hoarse from cheering Wild Again across the finish line in that BCC inaugural race.

We saw him at 3 C's last April.  He looked so good and was soaking up any attention paid to him.

Was hoping to see him on our visit to Lexington this year.  Perhaps in the next life in some heavenly pasture we'll see you again.  Rest your handsome head and know you are loved and will be missed by many.

07 Dec 2008 8:41 AM
dtt4762

GREAT RACE, THREE GREAT HORSES,A SAD SAD DAY TO SAY THE LEAST. GOD BLESS WILD AGAIN.

07 Dec 2008 10:12 AM
Rhonda from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

I remember watching the 1984 Breeders' Cup Classic and feeling the hair standing up on my neck while watching Wild Again run down the stretch like a wild thing.

What a great home he seems to have had at Three Chimneys and what a great career as a stallion.

He will live on in his progeny for many years to come.

As with all horses, he graced us with his magnificent presence.

Rest In Peace.

07 Dec 2008 11:48 AM
Lou S.

I had the pleasure to be Wild Again's hot walker in 1984 at the Meadowlands when he won the Meadowlands Cup just prior to the Breeder's Cup.  Trainer Vince Timphony gave me the chance, he is a true gentleman that really knows how to win.  I was a guard at the track and just starting to get in the business.  Wildy was a spirited personality in the barn as much as he showed BC day and in the breeding shed.   Behind the scenes he overcame a lot to win those races.  They flew Randy Springer across country to shoe him just before the Meadowlands Cup because another blacksmith screwed up. His groom Bobby used to sleep in the stall with him every night.  Wildy would literally walk down the entire shed row on his hind legs.  The horse and the people gave me great memories I will always treasure.  Here is a better video of the BC classic race...

www.breederscup.com/greatestmoments.aspx

If anyone passes through here that worked in our barn feel free to email me at fourwallcubicle@yahoo.com

07 Dec 2008 12:19 PM
A Canuck Remembers

Wild Again - another phenomenal son of Icecapade. At least he had the chance to pass on his genes, unlike his Canadian half-brother, Izvestia. Wild Again - a champion, that's for sure. RIP

07 Dec 2008 12:55 PM
smartysgal

I had the pleasure of seeing Wild Again both at Calumet and at Three Chimneys.  At Calumet he soaked up the attention (and the groom's carrots) like crazy.  He could barely see over the fence.  He was a little guy but with a big heart.  At Three Chimneys he also seemed to relish the attention.  I will miss him.

07 Dec 2008 1:30 PM
Bruce Greene

That first BCC finish is frozen in my mind.  Watching your number emerge on top brought a huge roar from the crowd at Bay Meadows that day.  You ran there a week earlier and didn't even beat an allowance field of hard knockers with much less talent.  But we saw you, we knew that Slew of Gold wore a bar shoe, and Gate Dancer, well Gate Dancer, earmuffs and all was just being Gate Dancer.  And then there you were, all three of you, right on time.  When I see Wild Again in the pedigree, I smile, always.

07 Dec 2008 3:52 PM
wildblueroan

His Classic was not only the first, but one of the most exciting breeder's Cup races yet run-it was absolutely thrilling to watch, and made Wild Again a legend in his own time. I've always been partial to his offspring and happy to think of him at the farm-when i saw the news of his death a few days ago, it stunned me.

07 Dec 2008 7:26 PM
Gia

A great horse... For a breeding stallion he had an outstanding temperament and presence that made him a fan favorite when they came to visit. Goodbye Wild Again catch them again in heaven!

08 Dec 2008 1:02 AM
Don E.

Wild Again MADE the Breeders' Cup with his stirring Classic win. The day was good until then; his triumph over all odds (how many horses since could last 1-1/4 miles after running a :45 2/5 half?) put the stamp on the event forever. You were all heart, old friend. Rest in peace.

08 Dec 2008 1:09 AM
Kim

I still have a crooked finger from a break while walking him around the barn as a 2 year old in 1981.  I really loved this guy! I knew you were special, such great memories in such a short time. Good bye you wonderful guy.

08 Dec 2008 11:12 AM
Randy

I saw him race in Omaha with Pat Day aboard Was one of the best looking horses I ever saw race in Omaha. Also saw him at the farm in Kentucky.

08 Dec 2008 1:21 PM
CHICAGO

My husband and a few of my friends and I met met Wild Again in July of 2002 when he was still in the main stallion barn at Three Chimneys.  Three Chimneys (for obvious reasons) was one of the thoroughbred farms that we visited when we there for the Seattle Slew Memorial, which was held at Hill 'n Dale.

As was noted, Wild Again was a true gentleman and I remember him to be a very classy racehorse, as well.

He will be greatly missed by all of us fans but we know that he is now with Slew o' Gold and Capote, with whom he spent his retirement.

God bless, Wild Again. We love you.

08 Dec 2008 1:38 PM
Bob

We just saw him in October. We were in awe with how frisky and well he looked on this chilly October morning. Another older champion gone. Our friend John Henry will take good care of him.

They'll get that chance to run together now. Rest in Peace Wild Again.

08 Dec 2008 3:02 PM
laura

Wild Again was my pick to win the Classic, hands down! What a great boy! One of my all-time favorites.  I will miss him.

08 Dec 2008 3:28 PM
Susan K.

My girlfriends and I have been making annual trips to Lexington for the past several years.  We ALWAYS include a trip to Three Chimneys Farm to see the great stallions. We've had the pleasure to see Wild Again, Capote, Silver Charm, Point Given, Albert the Great, Smarty Jones, and the other wonderful horses who are so pampered there.  We especially felt bad during our October trip to see the grave of Slew O'Gold and dear Capote.  Rest in Peace, dear old Wild Again.  You are with your friends once more.

08 Dec 2008 5:04 PM
diastu

It saddens me when the great old ones are gone. However old they are, it is still too soon. Pardon my ignorance, but if he was healthy and happy and frisky, what led to the decision to put him down at this time? Was there something specific that can help us understand. Rest in Peace old guy. You were amazing.

08 Dec 2008 7:05 PM
Karen in Indiana

Hi diastu, I struggled with that one when I heard also. I fell in love with Wild Again when I met him, he was so full of life. When I thought about how old he was, I remember thinking that I hoped he went fast, like a heart attack or something, because it would have been an absolute shame to see him struggle as he developed the aches, pains and problems of old age. 28 is pretty old for a thoroughbred. What I saw was a bouncy horse, what I didn't see was if he had a hard time getting up the next morning. Seeing how he was and learning more about him, I think it was a good thing that he went out humanely while he was still happy because he seemed like the kind of horse who would have fought and struggled and had a hard time dealing with the kinds of problems that very old age brings. So, I am thankful that he lived 28 years and most of that was somewhere he was well cared for, happy, and loved by many.

09 Dec 2008 6:21 AM
Rudolph.A.Furtado

Some horses are perpetually imbedded in memory, either for the amounts lost or amounts won wagering on them."Wild Again" will be remembered for the winnings, a rarity in horse-racing.

09 Dec 2008 8:05 AM
Liz Tobey

I saw Wild Again at Three Chimneys in 1996 out in his paddock.  Although I was a big Slew o'Gold fan, Wild Again was a great racehorse and sired some very good runners.  Thank you to Three Chimneys for giving him such a nice retirement.

09 Dec 2008 12:45 PM
Race Fan

My Wild Again memories combine recalling his improbable win in the first-ever Breeders' Cup Classic, along with my great fondness for offspring of Wild Again which debuted for trainer Vince Timphony in later years.

In the early 1990's I visited Three Chimney's farm and had my photo taken with Wild Again, and it means a lot to me.

10 Dec 2008 1:00 AM
Jim

Thanks to all those who have shared. What a great horse. The way he won that Classic took so much talent, class, and character. Then to be in the top half of the top 1% in average earnings per starter!! But it's obvious his real talent came from his grit and personality.

Diastu and Karen raise interesting points. I have no knowledge, but I have great faith Three Chimneys did the right thing. Their reputation was extremely important in them landing Smarty Jones; perhaps with Big Brown as well. The way they dealt with Seattle Slew in his old age was exemplary. This is something they cannot afford to lose.

Another thing that impresses me is how they track Silver Charm in Japan. If you want to get some updated pictured on Silver Charm, go to his page on the Three Chimenys website. Linds to the pics are on the upper right. This shows a real concen for their horse, given what happened to Exceller, Ferdinand, and probably many others.

Horses can go real fast. They're here one day but can be gone the next. Still, I would have liked more details. I did email them and suggest they put their cemetary on line. History is important to this sport; baseball and horse racing are probably the two biggest in terms of history.

My partner always bets the big bucks by name and looks. Wild Again had them both. Like one peson said, he was a model for all living things. Run wild, friend.

Jim

10 Dec 2008 1:46 AM
Bama

He was such a champion. He is sadly missed .May he run forever in the greener pastures by the still waters

11 Dec 2008 8:12 AM
Carlene

I have had the pleasure of seeing Wild Again several times at Three

Chimneys Farm as well as the other great stallions that live there.  I shall miss seeing him as well as Slew O Gold and Capote.

Thanks to all at Three Chimneys for taking such good care of these beautiful stallion.  RIP Wild Again and thanks for the memories.

11 Dec 2008 8:19 AM
gary

He was all racehorse and passed it on as a solid sire. I bred to him and raced his only son to win a Triple Crown race. He gave us thrills at the sales and at the track. His legacy lives on through his sons and daughters. He will be prominent in "racehorse" pedigrees for generations to come.

12 Dec 2008 12:27 PM
Jim

Yes, Gary, I agree. I just looked for your Savara on youtube; couldn't find anything. I probably have a tape of it somewhere. There were a lot of beautiful horses that year, including Savara and War Emblem. Wild Again certainly sired some beauties, but none better than Savara!!!!

13 Dec 2008 3:00 AM
Gerri

I saw Wild Again just last  November when I visited Three Chimneys to look at Yes It's True and Exchange Rate.  I made a special trip out to his paddock where he was communing across the fence with Rahy.  He was too far away for good pictures even though I took a couple.  What a great horse.

17 Dec 2008 6:00 PM
Billy D.

I was lucky enough to watch the '84 Classic in person. I still have the program. I remember how disappointed I was after Gate Dancer got beat. I still think that if the Classic were held in NY the results would've been different. I did manage to get a good picture of Pincay (about four feet away)after dismounting from Gate Dancer on the track after the race. I also got a pic of Day aboard Wild Again doffing his cap to the heavens, albeit from ground level.

30 Dec 2008 7:33 PM
Miranda

I didn't know him but I know he was a great racehorse and I would like to say he never wanted to give up and thats what a racehorse should do.

01 Jan 2009 10:31 PM
lisa Kane

will the farm manager put another stallion in wild agains stall.

07 Jan 2009 12:31 AM
Cassie

I never got a chance to meet Wild Again in person but i did watch clips of him online.  I am happy that i am lucky enough to own a grandson of such an amazing stallion.

15 Jan 2009 11:44 AM
Lori

I will forever feel linked with you, great horse, because I met you when in KY to attend my very first BC.  It had to be!  I had to meet the esteemed winner of THE very first BC.  Miss you, will always love you, and I cherish the picture taken of us together.  You are now young again and free.  Watch over all your babies and may they all be winners like their dad:)

02 Feb 2009 10:03 AM
RUFFIANS MEMORY

I remember seeing you  in the post parade that day and telling everyone that little horse is going to  win, it is in his blood. Sure enough you did.  You had the heart of a champion. I always looked for your foals and "grandkids" because they had the same toughness as you.  The horse racing world lost a true champion in you, Wild Again.  We will never see your likes again. Run free, run strong.  I will remember you always.

03 Feb 2009 7:32 PM
Lew

I wanted to meet Wild Again in person and just ran out of time  - am so sad this great horse is gone. We are blessed to own one of his daughters, Savuage Femme, who is expecting a her first warmblood baby any minute. Fingers crossed for another great Wild horse with the heart of a champion. I believe I will name the baby Viva la Wild!!

laura

07 Feb 2009 10:11 AM
Monica V

I was at the first Breeder's Cup and I particularly remember Wild Again's victory as it was so unanticipated.  It was a fabulous duel down the stretch and I will never forget it.

Wild again was a very successful sire and I did see him in person, I believe, at Calumet in 1988 along with Alydar and Affirmed.  It was wonderful to see him and I am so sad at his passing.  I always grieve when these great horses die.  There must be a special heaven for them for they are all truly loved.  God bless Wild Again and his tremendous heart.

10 Feb 2009 3:23 PM
stardust

Wild Again is now with all of the horses that went before him. God Bless you Wild Again.  Now you can be wild again.   Happy Valentines Day.

Your sons and daughters will carry on your legacy.  We all love you.

14 Feb 2009 1:48 PM
BE109

That BC Classic was incredible. Wild Again showed a tremendous amount of grit and a flat out refusal to give in! That is what I look for in horses,the desire to run and to be the best is what I admired in him . What more is there to say?

24 Feb 2009 1:18 PM
newsline2

His great-granddaughter, Wild Holly, was the longshot winner today earning $131 according to the story. Wild Holly, who is 8 years old, is the granddaughter of Alysheba and great granddaughter of Northern Dancer. Kudos to her stamina and strength to carry her still racing into middle age.

06 Mar 2009 9:05 PM
TexSpect

Yes, I remember this race well. Not being able to see exactly who finished in front, after the photo and then the longest inquiry of my life - Alysheba DQ to third, and neither was my "horse. I am still waiting for Pincay and his mount to finish. Wild Again the winner, may he rest in peace in horse heaven. Good title for this years Derby finish.

06 May 2009 4:30 AM
eliz

Wild Again passed on his same heart, class, determination and guts to his son Milwaukee Brew. One of my all time current faves! Had the pleasure of meeting the "Brew" and will never forget him!

I can see Brew passed on his "Daddy's" traits to his own babies!

07 Aug 2009 8:38 PM
Wild KY Momma

Three Chimney's Farm is absolutely breathtaking - especially when that Black Stallion was in the front paddock munching on some grass.  He was a spirited, beautiful boy and had the perfect name for his character.  I have a photo of him prancing in the snow taken by a photographer at the farm.  Wild Again, we miss you!!

08 Aug 2009 11:36 AM
Patrick W

I was there that day he won the Breeders' Cup.  I now have one of his grand-daughters and a great grandson.  They both sport that Wild Again blaze.  Rest in Peace my friend.

10 Aug 2009 11:48 PM
Patrick W

Moderator:  In the late 1970s I was an assistant trainer at Caliente in Mexico.  There was a horse named Sweet Terchi.  I have noticed a blogger with that same handle.  Could me find out if that blogger knew that horse?  Or have Sweet Terchi email me?  Thanks for any help you can be.

Pat

10 Aug 2009 11:52 PM
cowgrl644

I had the pleasure of owning a son of his.  He was my first horse as a child, and was off the track himself.  I lost him as an 8 year old in an accident with a car.  A better companion I could not have asked for, and I am sure that my Devon Fair inherited some of that from his sire.  I am sad to hear of his passing, but there is good company waiting for him in heaven.

Lori

02 Nov 2009 7:46 PM
RAJIV PRADHAN FROM DARJEELING,INDIA

SAD TO LEARN THAT ONE OF MY FAV.HORSE HAS DIED.WILD AGAIN WAS DEFINITELY A GIANT KILLER ON THE BREEDERS CUP DAY IN 1984.HE WAS GIVEN A BRILLANT RIDE BY PAT DAY AND THE HORSE'S FIGHTING SPIRIT WAS A TREAT TO WATCH!MY HEART GOES OUT TO MY PERSONAL BEST...WILD AGAIN.

16 Nov 2009 6:12 AM
Bellwether

NA$$CAR WOULD KILL FORE THOSE KIND OF FINI$HE$ BABY!!!...LONG LIVE WILD AGAIN...PURE GUT$!!!...ty...

15 Sep 2010 6:31 AM