Remembering Sir Henry Cecil

British Trainer Henry Cecil Dies at Age 70
Photo: Anne M. Eberhardt

Sir Henry Cecil, one of the most prominent international horse trainers over the last four decades, left behind a stellar legacy when he died June 11 at age 70. The self-effacing Cecil was respected by his peers and well-liked by the racing public. As a tribute to Cecil, BloodHorse.com is offering the international racing industry this forum in which to remember the great Henry Cecil.

Share your thoughts and memories of Sir Henry Cecil in the comments below.

Reaction on Twitter
More About Sir Henry Cecil

Here is an interview with Sir Henry Cecil following Frankel's victory in the 2011 St James's Palace Stakes:

[brightcove videoid="993194203001"]

canbet

Racing will miss Sir Henry Cecil hugely and personally, so will I. He was generous in spirit, an extraordinary man & a unique talent. His empathy with horses was a wonder to behold, and when I was first getting into the sport, I was struck by the patience and skill with which he handled the talented, but fragile stayer, Le Moss - he won three times at Royal Ascot and did the stayers triple crown in 1979 & 1980

11 Jun 2013 10:07 AM
Dooquila

A devastating loss to racing.  A fantastic trainer of fillies always sensing what they were feeling.  Racing has lost a giant, a King from the sport of Kings.  How fitting that a trainer who had the finest abilities, produced Frankel a horse whose abilities and dominance surpassed all others.  RIP Sir Henry

11 Jun 2013 10:31 AM
Lester Piggott

Gutted to hear that Sir Henry has passed away.

I'm a regular at Royal Ascot and I'm not ashamed to admit that I openly wept with joy when watching Frankel destroy the opposition.

I'm privileged to have met the great man,and we will never see the like of him again

RIP Sir Henry.

11 Jun 2013 10:48 AM
Sandy McDonald

So sorry to hear of his passing into The Light. Happy he was able to see accomplishments of his best...Frankel. Saw him run 2012 Royal Ascot. Breathtaking. He will truly be missed. #RIP

11 Jun 2013 11:11 AM
Kelso1966

I was shocked to hear the news this morning, and though I am new to UK racing, I fell in love with this gentle man and his great horse.

11 Jun 2013 11:41 AM
Needler in Virginia

Deepest sympathy to the Cecil family for this painful loss.

While traveling with my father a million years ago, I was fortunate enough to be introduced to Sir Henry at Ascot. He was kind, interested, willing to answer stupid questions from a star struck kid and in all, one of the nicest men I've ever met. What I remember most is his wonderful smile. The world is a lesser place without his presence, and he will be sorely missed.

Judith Stock

Virginia   US

11 Jun 2013 12:09 PM
genie918

I was saddened to learn of the passing of a truly remarkable trainer, Sir Henry Cecil.  One of the legends in the sport--RIP.

11 Jun 2013 12:39 PM
billpyers

I would like to pay my repects to Sir Henry Cecil. When I first became interested in the sport in the late 60'S he was just starting out. His charm and self- effacing modesty won me over and I've followed his awesome career ever since. I'm devasated at the news and for me horseracing just won't be the same. RIP Henry.

11 Jun 2013 1:15 PM
Noelle

I only "knew" Sir Henry by watching him as he guided Frankel through that remarkable career but he completely fulfilled my ideal of an English gentleman - as well as being an absolutely brilliant trainer.  I was so very sorry to read of his death - too young in my opinion, and my sympathies go to his family and friends.

11 Jun 2013 1:41 PM
ksweatman9

I'm glad God allowed him the joy of having a horse like Frankel. I wish he'd been able to take pleasure in watching Frankel's bloodline expand. Thank you, sir. We've enjoyed the ride as well.

11 Jun 2013 7:21 PM
mccarus

Farewell, Sir Henry Cecil.  You were one of the ever dwindling true English gentlemen. You will be sadly missed for so many reasons and by so many people whose lives you touched.  May you rest in peace.

12 Jun 2013 7:12 AM
fightonfig

Wonder if, nephew Ben will take over now, & move back to jolly ol

England ?  John H M G R B W Gosden

went back some yrs ago.... When Ben came to states '80;s he also

had a dozen middle initials !

12 Jun 2013 4:30 PM
Lise from Maine

Hi!

So happy to read that Sir Cecil was encouraged through his illness to focus on the positives of his horse, Frankel.

Animals are truly healing and can be helpful in assisting us in our final hour(s).

On the other hand, 70 years old is very young to die. So sorry that Sir Cecil died at such a young age.

God love him.