Wasted Tears: The Little Engine That Could

On Sunday, Wasted Tears hung on by a nose to win the John C. Mabee Stakes (gr. IIT) in a thrilling finish. Remarkably, it was the 10th consecutive victory on turf for the 5-year-old mare, half of them coming in graded stakes company and all of them coming in wire-to-wire fashion.

It's been an amazing two-year run for the undersized daughter of Najran, especially considering that she is based at little Retama Park in Texas for her owner/breeder/trainer Bart Evans. Both Retama and Evans are not exactly household names in Thoroughbred racing, though Evans is well known on another professional circuit: He was an outstanding polo player for many years and was inducted into the Polo Hall of Fame in 2001.

A Texas native, Evans began training race horses in the 1990s, but Wasted Tears is his first graded stakes winner. As you can see by the following Q & A, he feels privileged to have a mare like Wasted Tears, who earned a spot in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT) in November with her Mabee win. And even if she doesn't make it there, she has already won graded stakes at some of the nation's best racetracks, including Keeneland, Gulfstream, and Del Mar. It's more than Evans could have ever asked for.

JS: I see Wasted Tears does most of her training at Retama this time of year. Is that your base?

BE: I use three tracks: Lone Star, Retama, and I'm in Florida (Gulfstream) in the winter. I have 16 horses in training.

JS: Wasted Tears was bred in Kentucky. Do you have a farm there?

BE: No. I had a very good friend, Bruce Hundley at Saxony Farm (in Versailles, Ky.), and I kept quite a few mares there. The mare (Wishes and Roses) has been there for most of her life, though I did bring her back home last year to breed to Elusive Quality.

JS: How did you acquire Wishes and Roses?

BE: I bought her at the Keeneland yearling sale (in 1992 for $20,000). She was fairly correct and caught my eye. So I followed her and said, ‘I'll see what she brings.' I bought her and I sent her to Jeff Williams in Florida.

(Wishes and Roses won three of six starts before becoming a broodmare, including a minor stakes at River Downs in 1993).

JS: You didn't train horses at that time?

BE: No, I just bought a couple of horses; maybe one or two per year. I started getting into training around 1996.

JS: Was it difficult adjusting from polo to training horses?

BE: Well, both sports involve Thoroughbreds, so my polo background helped. I knew something about (training). In polo, horses have to stay very fit. We sometimes have three games a week. When is the last time a Thoroughbred had three races in a week? But that's the beauty of Thoroughbreds; they come in all shapes and sizes and they can do many different things well. I love them. With polo, I got to travel all over the world and got paid to play a game I love. After I was done, racing always intrigued me, so I decided to give it a try.

JS: Did you know Wasted Tears was special from the start?

BE: I knew she was a little bit different. When she was a baby, she was more aloof than others. She wasn't mean, but she would let you know when she wanted or didn't want something.

I could sit here and tell you I knew she would win 10 in a row, but I'd be lying. Anything can happen in horse racing. I might have rushed her too much early on (she was sent right in stakes company after breaking her maiden at first asking in 2007).But she also had (physical problems). She had a problem with her ovaries, and after the Quija Board (Handicap in 2009 when she set the one-mile course record at Lone Star for her first stakes win) she had a staph infection of the spinal process. It took her a while to get over that.

JS: This year she has won all five of her races. They have all been on the front end and by close margins. I guess her running style contributes to the close finishes?

BE: She likes to lope along on the lead but she does it easy; it's not like she struggles to do it. It's just the way she likes to run. She likes to have company run with her but once they get to her she seems to find more. It's like she's saying, "you're not going to go by me.' It was like that on Sunday (in the Mabee).

JS: The Mabee was her first time going nine furlongs. Did running that distance concern you at all?

BE: Not really. Her best race was when she won at Keeneland (in the Jenny Wiley). That was at a mile and sixteenth and I don't think they would have gone by her if it was a mile and an eighth.

JS: She's a small mare isn't she?

BE: Yeah, we weighed her a couple times and she is a little over 1,000 pounds and 15-3 (hands). It's probably advantageous for her because a big, heavy mare would get into the turf a little more.

JS: What is the plan for her? I read that you don't think the Breeders' Cup is in the cards because the race is at 1 3/8 miles.

BE: We'll see what happens. I'd like to get her a grade I win, so the (First Lady at Keeneland on Oct. 9) is the plan right now if everything goes right. We'll also consider something at the Oak Tree meet. Beyond that I'm not sure. The distance and the time of the Breeders' Cup is not ideal. Plus, the ground can be soft and yielding at that time of year. But I won't rule out anything. At least we have the opportunity if we want it. Nothing is etched in stone right now.

JS; Whatever happens, you must be having a great time with her.

BE: The thing that makes it special is that I was the first one on her back and the first one to break her from the starting gate. That makes it so much more satisfying for me. It's like watching one of your kids do well. I would love to have a horse like Zenyatta or Rachel Alexandra, but would it be as satisfying as having a horse like this? Hell no. I raised her.

I've been around thousands of horses and being around her is different. You can't fathom the intelligence of this one. It's scary how smart she is.

shuttleworth

Evans seems to be a humble man. I think it's great when a owner/trainer/rider gives credit to the horse for their success. The industry needs more people like Evans who seem to genuinely love and appreciate the animals..

17 Aug 2010 4:33 PM
GunBow

It really is  a great story.  I would have loved to see Wasted Tears and Tuscan Evening square off, two of the toughest, gamest thoroughbreds in recent years.

17 Aug 2010 4:49 PM
Zookeeper

Jason,

Your choice of topic for this new blog is brilliant. You certainly got more out of Mr. Evans that I thought possible. He struck me as a man of few words but I guess when it comes to his mare (and she is HIS, in every possible way) he does find his tongue and is very willing to elaborate on the subject.

Wasted Tears got my heart in the Mabee. Her demeanor in the paddock was exemplary but she's a tigress on the track. Her determination is second to none, her graceful strides a feast for the eyes. The love between the man and his horse as heartwarming as any.

Great interview, Jason. The man really opened up for you and showed that HIS heart is as big as the one inside his "gazelle of a mare". Thank you!

P.S. In case you have doubts... I really, really like her! :)

17 Aug 2010 5:02 PM
Mike in SB

Wow, great to see a polo player becoming an outstanding race horse trainer. By the way, Adolfo Cambiaso, the greatest polo player in the world today is playing here in Santa Barbara for the next few weeks. If anyone in Southern California wants to see great polo now is the time.

17 Aug 2010 5:58 PM
Rachel

Mr Evans, you are the very best of racing. Many blessings and winners circles! ♥ Thanks Jason.

17 Aug 2010 6:19 PM
fanofwastedtears

Saw her win at Keeneland spring meet..she is special. Posted about her on FB and friends commented that they liked her name. She is fun to watch!

17 Aug 2010 6:53 PM
Karen in Texas

Really nice interview! Wasted Tears is a tough, special little mare. Thanks, Jason.

17 Aug 2010 8:13 PM
Paula Higgins

Nice to have another girl to root for! I think she is something special. Good interview.

17 Aug 2010 9:42 PM
John T

There will be no wasted tears over this mare.As Bart Evans said he has been around thousands of horses but this one is different.The tears will always be for real when you talk about not only a tough game mare but also an intelligent one.

17 Aug 2010 9:43 PM
Bellwether

GOOD STUFF...GOOD LUCK...

18 Aug 2010 2:16 AM
Billy's Empire

Nice interview Jason. This filly just keeps on winning.

Thanks

18 Aug 2010 9:28 AM
the_wiz

Jason,

Very nice interview. It's good to see you get off the same old subjects that promote the Zenyatta/RA crap. I'm hoping that the draynay's of the world don't turn this one into a circus.

Wasted Tears has been a pleasure to watch. What a strong willed determined runner. It's always very interesting to get the story behind the horse/trainer/owner.

You are a talented and knowledgeable writer and a good source of information for those who really love the sport and don't use it to vent our daily frustrations. Those kind of people cloud the big picture and in my book are useless and bad for the sport.

Welcome back Mike Relva!!

18 Aug 2010 10:29 AM
ruffianruns

I like this interview.  Thanks.  I just realized that after the guest blog about the "King and Queen," two of the largest horses racing, you have two blogs about two of the littlest horses racing.

I've been following Wasted Tears for her last few races, and I'm glad to know that Evans seems to be a good man.  What Evans said in the last paragraph is wonderful.  In another article I read, Evans said:  "she was aloof around her mother even when she was a baby, when all the other foals were looking for their mothers."  Everything I read about her makes me love her more!

To echo many of the other comments, I'm glad this little girl is in good hands.  Let's get her a Grade 1 win!

18 Aug 2010 10:58 AM
-Keelerman

Good post, Jason!

I have always liked Wasted Tears and was glad to hear that she won the Mabee. I wasn't sure if she could hold off Gozzip Girl, but in the end the latter just didn't fire.

I can't quite see Wasted Tears stretching out to a mile and three eighths, but there are plenty of other options for her. I think that a grade I win is in her future.

Also, I can't wait for the Green Flash Handicap at Del Mar today. With California Flag, Cost of Freedom, and My Summer Slew running, it should be a great race. I have always enjoyed watching California Flag run.

-Keelerman

18 Aug 2010 11:01 AM
Rick

I call myself a friend of the "cantankerous" horse trainer Bart Evans and what you see is what you get. If you do not want to know the answer he will give you,do not ask the question. I consider him a horseman's horseman.

18 Aug 2010 11:14 AM
Zookeeper

Since I know zilch about polo and its participants, I was not aware of Bart Evans' previous career. Talented people succeed no matter what their endeavor. I think the key is that they go where their passion leads them. How can you achieve any level of success if you really do not like what you do? It seems like a no-brainer, but few people follow the example of the Evans & Matts of this world.

Horse racing is rife with up-lifting stories like this one. Keep them coming Jason, I think this was one of your better blog topics. It may not attract hundreds of comments, but for the true lovers of the sport, this interview is a GEM!!!

18 Aug 2010 11:49 AM
Zookeeper

Correction: I misspelled Micheal Matz's last name. Sorry Micheal! I only realized it after I clicked on the submit button.

18 Aug 2010 11:56 AM
Draynay

Jason, very nice interview and story. It's nice to talk about something other then how slow Zenyatta is.  Thanks.

18 Aug 2010 12:28 PM
Zookeeper

Unrelated question:

I was just reading the article about Pure Clan being retired and sold. The new owner doesn't want to be identified. What's the deal with that? Why the secrecy?

18 Aug 2010 1:04 PM
Zookeeper

No Spelling Bee Champion here! Now I see that I messed up Michael, TWICE! I'm embarassed.  :(

18 Aug 2010 1:27 PM
Love 'em all!

Great reading.  Thanks for sharing.

I first became aware of Wasted Tears about a week ago, thanks to someone introducing her at a horse forum.  WT's win on Sunday just added that much more interest for her and her trainer.

Love everything about this story, but the last paragraph above says it best ....

>I'm thrilled with all of this, but mostly I'm proud of her. It's all about the horse, not me. If this helps open a few more doors for me, great, but she doesn't owe me anything. She's taken me further than I deserve. God willing, I will be with her the rest of our lives. And if she wants to be broodmare, I hope to see that too.<

Thank you, Mr. Evans ... and congrats to you and to Wasted Tears.

18 Aug 2010 1:52 PM
Ted from LA

I heard from a reliable source (the voices in my head) that Elvis Presley bought Pure Clan.  He wants it a secret so people don't know he is still alive.

18 Aug 2010 2:22 PM
Zookeeper

Thank you Ted, that was really helpful, lol!

18 Aug 2010 2:41 PM
mr pibb

Funny Ted I heard a different version of who bought Pure Clan. The take I got on it was a consortium of people including draynay who reportedly put up 10 bucks (in pennies no less) for a minute share bought the horse because they were afraid either RA or QR might end up facing and getting beat by him. Word on the street is there may be more of the same to come. Apparently they tried to purchase Zenyatta in order to retire her before she whips their beloved ones but were told to go to heck.

18 Aug 2010 2:46 PM
Ted from LA

I am going to go off topic for the first time in my blogging career... or since my last post.  Is that what we do?  Blog?  Or is Jason the blogger and the rest of us blogging responders or enthusiasts?  Either way, the article on Arlington Park going broke is disturbing.  That could cause a domino effect which would destroy horseracing as we know it today.  This sport is in deep trouble.  Leadership is key.  We have no leadership.  The right wing lunatic fringe has Glenn Beck, the Democrats have President Obama, the Republicans have Sarah Palin, the left wing lunatic fringe has Keith Olbermann.  Who is going to stand up and lead horseracing out of this conundrum?  Ted from LA?  If not Ted from LA, who?  Or is it "whom?"  We are at a crossroads.  One path leads to despair.  The other to utter hopelessness.  Let's pray that we have the wisdom to choose the right path.

18 Aug 2010 3:02 PM
Oldie

Zookeeper, LOL - stupid fingers, huh? :)

Jason, I thoroughly enjoyed this article and interview, and the follow up comment from Rick.  It's often been my experience the ones considered, er, hard to get along with, are the ones who will tell you the truth, which you only thought you wanted to hear :)  It's clear Mr. Evans appreciates and understands Thoroughbreds, and quite enjoyed raising this one in particular.  That he has the humility to credit the horse is heartwarming, but were it not for his careful attention to detail, my guess is she would not be where she is today.  Teaching her while preserving that will to win had to have been tricky, and he has managed it admirably.

18 Aug 2010 3:25 PM
merlinmerry

When Ted from LA speaks, people listen!  (And shake their heads in disbelief.)

18 Aug 2010 3:35 PM
ruffianruns

Ted from LA - Jason is the blogger, we're the groupie commenters.  You're talented enough to have your own blog though....  I went and found that Arlington article you mentioned.  The financial problems of racing today are very scary.  I don't know much about it, but it really does seem like racing needs some type of overall boss, like the NFL or Major League baseball.  I don't know if it's even possible to get there, and I don't know all the pros and cons about such a move, but I do know that Elvis didn't buy Pure Clan.

18 Aug 2010 5:05 PM
Trebloc

Zookeeper,

I heard that Pure Clan was purchased by a group from NJ.  The group probably wants to bred her under one name, buy the yearling under another name, sell shares of her for three times the cost of the yearling, which was never really sold.  But then again, what do I know.....LOL.........

18 Aug 2010 5:09 PM
Trebloc

Jason,

Didn't IEAH own Pure Clan?

18 Aug 2010 5:28 PM
Slew

How lovely to see, "it's all about the horse".  Great interview!

18 Aug 2010 5:39 PM
Zookeeper

Trebloc,

Pure Clan was ownwed by her breeder Lewis Lakin. There's an article about it on this website. It intrigued me that the people who purchased her did not want their identity revealed. She was a heck of a runner. Why would they want all this mystery? I would really like an answer to why people do that. Jokes are fun but they don't shed any light on the subject.

18 Aug 2010 6:03 PM
Trebloc

Zookeeper,

The Thoroughbred Times reported that group from NJ purchased her.

One of the problems in the game is that no one seems to know who owns what.

I agree, if I could afford to purchase Pure Clan, I would yell it from the roof top.

18 Aug 2010 6:39 PM
Zookeeper

ownwed? Have you guys ever had days like this? (@#$!?#) Maybe I should just get off my keyboard until I can control my fingers and my brain. lol!

18 Aug 2010 6:42 PM
sherpa

Jason, I like this interview better than any you've done since I've been reading here.

You kept it simple and gave Mr. Evans the space just to talk about his little mare...and his love for her shines through, above all.

Thank you - this was a great pleasure to read. :-)

18 Aug 2010 10:16 PM
Jason Shandler

Thanks for the nice comments folks. It's a nice story.

What a great weekend of racing ahead of us, huh? Back on Friday with a preview.

18 Aug 2010 10:38 PM
Criminal Type

Great story Jason, It's nice to hear good things in a sport that has experienced so many low's in recent years. I mentioned, in a previous post, how much excitement the fillies and mares are giving us this year and here we have another. I watched the race and by the time she hit the wire I had goosebumps. There have been a lot of those this year.

Trebloc, In my experience, people who don't want to be itentified have something to hide, or maybe It was IEAH (they never owned her) and they are gonna breed her to Big Brown. Also, your post about selling her foal three times and never really selling it, reminded me of some of the shady dealings that went on at Calumet under JT Lundy. What a very sad convoluted mess that was.

Does anyone know what ever happened to Country Star ? I know she was retired, but haven't heard a word about her since. She was a really nice filly, too bad she had such a knack for flipping over in the gate. I think thats part of the reason she was retired, before she hurt herself.

Ted, good luck man, you got my vote LOL

19 Aug 2010 9:53 AM
Bill Daly

Great interview, Jason.  You certainly got Mr. Evans to elaborate a bit more on the filly than Simon Bray. I thought I was going to choke on my popcorn when Simon asked him where he was going now with WT and he replied, "Home" and then added " Maybe Disneyland, first."  Guy has a great sense of humor in the style of Will Rogers.

19 Aug 2010 9:58 AM
Zookeeper

Woke up this morning to the news that Santa Anita will return to dirt. The new surface will be installed after the Oak Tree meet. WOW! Last I had heard, Mr, Stronach was considering some other kind of composition that included cork. ($%#!?&!?)

Some trainers will be very happy about it, others not so much. Since I'm not an expert, I don't have an opinion about which surface is safer and the different studies only added to my confusion. But one thing is for sure, I won't miss all the negative plastic crap statements.

Jason- I'm looking forward to this weekend's racing also. I'm enjoying this sport more and more!

19 Aug 2010 9:59 AM
Billy's Empire

Keelerman,

that was one heck of a race in the Green Flash. I just watched the replay and it looks like any 3 of those horses could of won.

19 Aug 2010 10:52 AM
Pam S.

Jason,

It is a nice interview with a man who sounds like he knows he's fortunate to have such a nice horse.  He's the first person I have heard of that entered TB racing after a polo career.  You'd think Prince Charles would, but he never did.

Trebloc:  IEAH did own Pure Clan for a time, but her breeder bought her back (not sure when).

19 Aug 2010 11:06 AM
In aint easy being good!

Yessss Dirt at Santa Anita finally some good news. The good news for Zenyatta is that she will be retired after Santa Anita makes the switch so she wont get exposed. Its amazing the timing of it all! I hope others follow and switch to dirt and then we can stop all the arguing of who is the best horse and stop with the excuses!

19 Aug 2010 12:41 PM
Ted from LA

Who's going to the Million?  I am and will have on a large name tag.  The tradition is that if you see Ted from LA in the paddock, you buy him a drink.  Jason, let's get to work on the Saturday card at Arlington.  I haven't read this article yet, but based on what my follow bloggger groupies are saying, great job.

19 Aug 2010 1:27 PM
Kat

Sorry to hear about Pure Clan retiring, although it had been reported for a while that she wasn't training well.  She ran a huge second last years at the BC championships.

19 Aug 2010 2:30 PM
Ted from LA

Jason,

I saw your Arlington Million show.  Very nice.  A friendly suggestion... you need to do that show at a bar or restaurant with living people sitting around or standing behind you.  As it stands, it looks like a hostage situation.  If you added a gun to the heads of each of your colleagues, nobody could tell the difference.  Why did you leave out the Beverly D?

19 Aug 2010 9:42 PM
Pam S.

I could swear IEAH owned Pure Clan for a time.  Am I wrong??

20 Aug 2010 12:56 AM
-Keelerman

Billy's Empire;

It was unbelievably close. I couldn't believe that California Flag came off the pace to win. He has never come from off the pace in his life, at least not since he started running in stakes races.

I was also very impressed with My Summer Slew. He was my pick to win, and at the three eighths pole I thought to myself "I guess it just isn't his day." So imagine my surprise when I see him coming like a freight train on the far outside. I couldn't believe that he lost by only a nose.

As for Quick Enough, he was very impressive as well. He couldn't find room in the stretch and just barely sneaked through a tiny hole along the rail to dead-heat for second with My Summer Slew.

Amazingly, the top six finishers were seperated by only a length. Dilemma finished last and was beaten only three and a half lengths. What an exciting race!

(Also, in the Troy Stakes, a five and one half furlong turf race at Saratoga, Awakino Cat pulled off a 6-1 upset over 24-1 Ravalo, 10-1 Yield Bogey, and 28-1 Hold the Salt. Favored Silver Timber finished fifth, beaten only 2 1/4 lengths despite the fact that he ran into traffic in upper stretch. The Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint is going to be great this year!)

-Keelerman

20 Aug 2010 9:46 AM
Jason Shandler

Ted: In addition to the video and blogs, we actually write multiple stories on the web site and magazine each week. Im not sure if you were aware of that. Would be nice to find the time to hang out at a bar for a couple hours, unfortunately, unless youre willing to share in the work load, we dont have time for that. Thanks for the suggestion though. As far as leaving out the Bev. D, we have to keep the show under 10 minutes. Cant do every big race.

20 Aug 2010 10:27 AM
sodapopkid

It aint easy:

Zenyatta trains on a dirt track they have at HP.  So, dirt is no stranger to her,  It's not like synthetics is to most of your east coast horses,  Strange .  Most great horses can run on both.   It doesn't matter to them,  they know how to run on dirt and synthetics.

Thats why most of your California/West Coast horses are great.

20 Aug 2010 10:42 AM
gw_bushwacker

Yessss Dirt at Santa Anita finally some good news. The good news for RA is that she will be retired after Santa Anita makes the switch so they won't have to come up with new excuses to not travel to California to get beat. Its amazing the timing of it all!

20 Aug 2010 10:47 AM
Mike Relva

IT AINT EASY BEING GOOD

So,how did Zenyatta get into the mix when she isn't the subject material? You'll eat your words in Nov same as last year!

20 Aug 2010 10:54 AM
Zookeeper

Pam S.,

IEAH did own a share of Pure Clan in partnership with her owner/breeder. I don't know any details (everything is so hush! hush!)but at the time of her retirement and sale, it doesn't appear that they were still in the picture. The secrecy still bothers me. What are they afraid of? That we will know who owns her? So what?

20 Aug 2010 11:02 AM
Pam S.

Zookeeper, thanks for responding.  I did know IEAH had been out of the picture for a while.  I agree with you about the hush-hush stuff.  You have the above example of Bart Evans (no secrecy there), Tom McCarthy (also what you see is what you get), and the Lisa's Booby Trap guy who is honest enough to tell us that part of her nam came from his favorite nudie bar!  All so likable and relatable.  Then you have IEAH and the "hedge fund" approach.

20 Aug 2010 11:43 AM
Zookeeper

Pam S.,

Speaking of the "hedge fund" approach, did you see the video of Super Saver's full brother Hedge Fund being retired at WinStar Farm? Same words... completely different meaning. Stories like these are such a boost to horse racing!!! Others, not so much.

20 Aug 2010 11:57 AM
Pam S.

Yes, I saw it, ZK.  Good for WinStar!  This horse made 115 starts -- definitely a Main Streeter, not a Wall Streeter!

20 Aug 2010 12:13 PM
kathy

Good gracious Mr. Evans, I really like the way that you think and talk about Wasted Tears and that you have her dam. I like the fact that you think about what is best for her and that you get she is really smart. Good luck to both of you in your pursuits.

20 Aug 2010 12:46 PM
Householder

Any thoughts on the Alabama?  We have the 2 most accomplished 3 year old fillies battling it out tomorrow.

Blind Luck loves to travel.  She's won in five different stakes over 7 different tracks. Hollendorfers confident she'll get the extra 1/8th. Pretty gutsy campaign by Nor Cal's all time leading trainer.

Devil May Care.  It's her playground.  She likes to pull herself up on the lead and Blind Luck likes to win by a nose at the wire.  She made a pretty good move in the Derby but then flattened out at 1 1/4. Pedigree suggests distance is not a question.

None of these have won at this distance however.

Then you have the Delaware Oaks runner up.  If you like Blind Luck you have to like this one.

20 Aug 2010 1:37 PM
Favre For President

The greatest QB ever has returned!!Brett Favre is the best QB since Fran Tarkenton and one of the very few around today who could have played in any era and survived. Unlike Peyton "Patsy" Manning and the rest Favre would have stood up to the poundings QB's took in the 60's and 70's and all th eway up until the league put in the "Manning Rule" to protect the sissy's.

20 Aug 2010 2:18 PM
ctgreyhound

We need more of this, more stories from the heart. The usual suspects (owners) are boring & many are whiners. It's great to see Mr. Evans & his mare make a little history. Hopefully he will have continued success.

20 Aug 2010 5:24 PM
annie

Very good, Mr. Evans sounds like such a very nice man. I'll be rooting for him and his wonderful filly.

20 Aug 2010 9:04 PM
Zen's Auntie

Thanks for the great interview Jason well done.

I always liked this little "you wont pass me!" filly and I like her even more now knowing these details of how special she is to Mr Evans - another fortunate one of a kind horse.  I really like his love of the TB breed in general.  Polo trainers / players are genreally really good horseman and conditioners.

22 Aug 2010 11:06 AM
Genie from Chicago

I worked as a polo groom in the 70's and worked in Boca Raton for Jack Oxley,for whom Bart Evans was playing as a pro.  Bart had a rule at the time, that he never, ever,. let a woman on one of his horses.  He had a mare he loved, Kiowa Kate, who years later, tragically died underneath him on the polo field.  One day in Boca, his groom Howard and I decided to mess with Bart, and Howard put me on Kate, and I rode her past him.  Bart said if I ever got on one of his horses again, he would "kick my (butt) all the way back to Illinois".  That was Bart back in the day.  Anyway, I am happy for him he has found another mare he loves so much.

05 Sep 2010 2:19 PM