Cigar

Relive Cigar's career with our special slideshow and some of his best moments in horse racing.

Slideshow:
Cigar Tribute

Cigar Videos:

Cigar at the Kentucky Horse Park, Fall 2008. Watch Video

A few of Cigar's greatest moments.

1995 Breeders' Cup Classic - Cigar wins the 1995 Breeders' Cup Classic at Belmont Park.

1995 Hollywood Gold Cup - Cigar takes out the best of the west.

1996 - Alphabet Soup wins a tight race in the 1996 Breeders' Cup Classic at Woodbine.

1996 Dubai World Cup - The inaugural 1996 Dubai World Cup won by the terrific Cigar in a rousing finish. Sorry about the choppy source audio at race's end.

1996 Jockey Club Gold Cup - Cigar vs. Skip Away

1996 Woodward Stakes - Cigar's final career victory.

Cigar16

Let no person be fooled by the media, or by a few good racetrack performances by other horses over the years, or a large sum tallied up by a good horse in sub par fields! There has not been a single racehorse to step hoof on the track that can touch CIGAR, and his legend! Racing has not had the electricity and the goosebumps since his departure from the track. I love this horse. I miss him terribly. He was....amazing.

10 Oct 2008 2:06 PM
Bettye Noble

This is the only horse that can stand in the great John Henry's stall at KHP!  Curlin? When he wins 16 in a row, then I will be impressed.  He might have passed Cigar's money but the races pay more today.  I feel Cigar, at his best, would leave Curlin in the dust.  Curlin is good but Cigar faced some of the best!

10 Oct 2008 5:33 PM
lobieb

I agree with Betty Noble, if Cigar was in todays market and won the races he won, no one would be able to touch his $$$$ mark.  This was a tremendous racehorse and in my estimation THE BEST.  Sure, I love John Henry, Secretariat etc. but to me none can compare to the thrills that Cigar gave me when I watched all his races.  To me he is THE KING

10 Oct 2008 6:52 PM
txhorsefan

My comment is simply ditto to what the above posters just said!  Thank you for all the great videos of the great Cigar!

txhorsefan

10 Oct 2008 7:13 PM
karen williams

CIGAR....what a great horse he is...and we miss his brilliant performances..he will go down in the records as one of the best race horses ever....

11 Oct 2008 10:27 AM
MIKE RELVA

I'VE HAD THE PLEASURE TO VISIT CIGAR AT THE HORSE PARK. IN REGARDS TO GREATNESS,HE RESIDES ON HIS OWN PLANET,PERIOD!

11 Oct 2008 10:18 PM
gammyp6

WOW! I don't think we will ever see the likes of Cigar again. What he brought to the fans and the industry just is not out there anymore. I adore many of the current stars and they all give

a thrill but Cigar was electric. John Henry, Cigar and Ferdinand will always be my personal top three. I am still angry and heartsick about Ferdinand.

11 Oct 2008 10:32 PM
RunFast159

One of my all time favorite racehorses.  What a joy it was to watch his career unfold and how nice it was that he had GREAT connections as well. What struck me most about Cigar was how incredibly good looking he was, incredible confirmation.  Sometimes, form follows function!

12 Oct 2008 10:14 PM
Laura

Hard to believe it's been 12yrs.. I still sit here with goosebumps in rememberence of Cigar. He revived racing and brought so much joy to so many. No one cared if they cashed a ticket or not, we all just loved to watch him put that head down and win again and again.

Too bad that we will never have any of his babies to carry on his greatness.

12 Oct 2008 10:35 PM
money record

l think curlins record has some noses out of joint ,cigar was very good, but he never raced against the best of his generation at 2 or 3,when they were on the track and lets be honest there is a reason holy bull was spotting him, what was it ten or eleven pounds in the donn, he was the better horse,as far as the money goes inflation worked to cigars advantage the same way it worked to curlins advantage, yes cigar was a very good horse but certainly not the best in my opinion

13 Oct 2008 1:16 AM
cigar fan.

not many can follow in the footsteps of cigar at the level and qualiy of races he ran in .he not only stands out as one of the greatest but to be around him as i have his presence is soul touching.

13 Oct 2008 1:13 PM
capridogs

How could you (Money Record) possibly say that Curlin is better than Cigar?  I won't even mention the money won because that isn't what makes the horse great.  The fact that Cigar won 16 races in a row tying the record of the "Great Citation" makes him the greatest.  That's not counting all the races run, just his straight wins.  Now, tell me, how many races has Curlin run?  I think six lifetime, so when he even runs 16 races let alone wins 16 straight tell me he's greater than "Cigar".  And, just to jump off the subject for a short statement - what a surprise that "Big Brown" is retired now and won't run in the Breeder's Cup.  Did anyone really think for a second he was going to run?

13 Oct 2008 1:42 PM
money record

l never said curlin was the better horse l said holy bull was the better horse.is ruffian greatness diminshed because she broke down? But yes l think curlin would bear cigar, l think invasor would have beat him to .For people to say cigar would would whip curlin is just silly, its like saying dare and go , skip away, and alhabet soup were better than curlin which is nonsense.

13 Oct 2008 2:21 PM
Dutch

Thanks for posting the videos, and especially the inaugural running of the Dubai World Cup. Cigar truly showed the heart of a champion that day, when Soul of the Matter looked to have his number at any point down the stretch. That was the signature race of Cigar's career, in my opinion, and stamped him as a special horse.

13 Oct 2008 2:48 PM
Shannon

In My Own Opinion, It Is Hard To Compare Cigar And Curlin. They Both Raced At Different Times, And While Yes, Cigar Does Have A Sixteen Race Winning Streak, He Never Faced Good Horses At Three, Whereas Curlin Did. I Think The Whole Idea Of "Which Is Better" Is Completely Ludicrous. They Are/Were Both Great Horses And Why Not Leave It As Such?

13 Oct 2008 8:45 PM
Ejay

CIGAR...a great horse.  The only thing wrong about him was his name.

FAST EDDIE...now there's a good name for a horse.

13 Oct 2008 9:48 PM
Grandefan

Thankfully there have been and are many great TB horses in our racing world. But, every once in a great while, an especially bright light shines on the track. Those who have the talent, heart, and charisma to thrill us - to make us hold our breath at the very sight of them in full stride. They are our heros: the champions of the people. And when a horse reaches that height, he or she is not measured against the other greats, but joins them in a class all their own. Cigar is a member of that class and there is room there for Curlin to join him and the other greats. Time will tell. I salute them all and am grateful for every racing thrill they give.

14 Oct 2008 7:59 PM
Cigar's Mom

Let's really compare Curlin to Cigar. (for those who have doubt who proved more on the racetrack).

Curlin has earned a bit over $10 million. Had Cigar run in the same races today, he'd have over $15 million. No inflation, just counting purse money.

Winner: Cigar

Number of G1 wins: Curlin-7; Cigar 11 (12 if Dubai had been graded the 1st year)

Winner: Cigar

Total graded stakes wins: Curlin-9; Cigar-11 (12 if Dubai had been graded)

Winner: Cigar

Number of Horses of the Year beaten: Curlin-0; Cigar-5

Winner: Cigar

Number of Champions beaten: Curlin-4; Cigar-9

Winner: Cigar

Number of Grade 1 winners beaten: Curlin-21; Cigar-46

Winner: Cigar

Number of Grade 2 winners beaten: Curlin-14; Cigar-12

Winner: Curlin

Number of Grade 3 winners beaten: Curlin-10; Cigar-14

Winner: Cigar

Total number of Graded Stakes winners beaten: Curlin-45; Cigar-72

Longest win Streak: Curlin-5; Cigar-16

Winner: Cigar

I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions from here.

14 Oct 2008 8:41 PM
DancingMelody2

No time or another horse will stand next to Cigar. He needs no progeny to carry his legend. If you have ever had the privilege to stand in his presence - you know the what is meant by "the look of eagles.If you have seen even one of his races - you have seen greatness.As TD so elegantly put it:...the one, the only, the invincible, incomprable Cigar! Always and forever a winner.

14 Oct 2008 8:57 PM
still racing

The last time l checked grandefan curlin was still racing with a chance to do something cigar could t do which is win to classics in a row and maybe a trip to japan as well, which would put him well passed 15 million. personally l think cigar was overrated, l carrire and star standard were a pair of bums compared to what culin faced as  year old, cigar was a nice little handicapper whos place in history stands closer to mr frisky and that filly from new mexico and the other one in lousiana than citation

15 Oct 2008 1:15 AM
Jeremy

Money Record, Curlin is not a better horse then Cigar. Cigar, e specially in his prime had to much tatical speed, during the streak, no horse was able to run Cigar down. As far the comparision to Holy Bull. When they faced off in the in the Donn, that was only Cigar's 4th start since they switched him to dirt. In the 3 prior races, 2 of them were allowances and the other race was NYRA mile which he won by daylight. But he was still unknown. In his prime the only horse who would have challenged him was Holy Bull. I really do believe Cigar was the only horse during that time that can beat Holy Bull, especially going a mile and a quarter. Its just a shame racing was denied that rivalry. Probably would have been one of the greatest of all time, and people would still be talking about it today like they do with Affirmed/Alydar and Sunday Silence/Easy Goer. And also no way Curlin would have beaten Skip Away. Alphabet Soup probably but definately could be beat Dare and Go. As much as I like Curlin, he wouldnt be getting as much attention if Street Sense and Hard Spun was still around.

15 Oct 2008 1:49 AM
Carlene Nusbaum

I have had the honor of seeing Cigar at the Kentucky Horse Park.  He is in a league all by himself.  He is one of the greatest.  It is a privelage to be around him.

15 Oct 2008 1:56 PM
Whatever

Truly remarkable animal.  There will never be another.  Hopefully todays younger generation of racing fans were around to at least see him run because they will NEVER see a more durable, versatile, and sound horse like that ever again. I hope this generation is enjoying Curlin because he'll be gone soon as well.  They just do not breed them like that anymore, AND that is a shame!

15 Oct 2008 1:57 PM
margies

hello beautiful boy i love you i hop[e you are enjoying your retirement you are one of the greatest race horses ever along with big red

15 Oct 2008 6:00 PM
Kevin

I have had the luck to see Cigar at the KHP. He is still a sight to behold. Why should Curlin and Cigar be compared. Their both great ones. Lets just enjoy younger one, and keep the memories of the older guy.

16 Oct 2008 9:09 AM
wyattbuernz

i had the pleasure of observing CIGAR at the horse park. the intense ferocity in his eyes touched me. the places he has been, the great battles he engaged in, what those eyes have seen. he holds himself as royalty. he is a true warrior and surely a great champion. his presence is hypnotizing, his countenance is one only maintained by legendary individuals. CIGAR is a treasure of the breed.

16 Oct 2008 9:06 PM
Grandefan

Still Rracing -- missed your post 'til now. I'll bite...I said there's room for Curlin in the elite class, he's still running a talley on performance. However, you have seriously underrated Cigar. We are both entitled to our opinions. I'd have to say after reading down to this point, Cigar has been well defended (as if he needed help!)and it's all in the record books. I like Curlin, but remember in order to get his name on top of the earnings list he had to exceed the one who'd been there for 12+ years. Cigar is still smokin' the lad at this point. I'll look forward to Curlin joining Cigar. Cigar's been at the top and he's never gonna be dethroned.

18 Oct 2008 3:35 PM
Whatever

Cigar = They don't make them like that anymore. It was that Seattle Slew blood flowing through him that made him so great.  Be grateful for Curlin, and like Steve Asmussen often says,  "Just enjoy him."

22 Oct 2008 1:14 PM
Cigar4ever

I will never forget seeing Cigar in the Pimlico Special. Shocking that it was 13 years ago. Cigar ran 10 TIMES as a 5 year old and 8 times as a 6 year old and retired sound. Curlin has ran how many times in how many years? Wonder if we will be watching videos of Curlin 12 years after he retires?Will he get a cover on the blood-horse eight or so years after he reitres like Cigar did? He is my favorite racehorse ever. I get goosebumps even thinking about him. Thanks bloodhorse for putting up these videos.

24 Oct 2008 7:01 PM
Patti

I LOVE CIGAR <3

28 Oct 2008 7:03 PM
Paula Higgins

I believe Cigar at his peak would have beaten Curlin at his peak. He was specatcular and when looked in the eye, he fought like a lion.

13 Nov 2008 3:28 PM
fanofallthree

I visited CIGAR at Belmont before he became a superstar.  He had a presence of greatness then.  I see him every year at KHP.  I feel privileged and honored to touch him and to be able to breathe that same air.  Will there be another like him?  Not in my lifetime.  Go see him if you haven't.  He sends chills down your spine - even at the age of almost 19.

14 Nov 2008 10:00 AM
LDP

Sorry just a bit late, but Curlin has run i think 16 times, 15 before the cup, so how do you get six starts lifetime. Before the cup this year he had run six times this season.

07 Jan 2009 8:02 PM
TOM MARINO

I WAS BROWSING THE WEBSITE AND SAW THIS FANTASTIC TRIBUTE TO CIGAR. I QUICKLY REMEMBERED SEEING HIM IN HIS LAST CAREER START AT WOODBINE. I STOOD JUST TWO FEET AWAY FROM HIM AS HE ENTERED THE PADDOCK. HE WAS MAGNIFICENT AND MAJESTIC. IN MY OPINION HE IS ONE OF THE GREATS. HE WAS A MODERN DAY MAN'O WAR OR SECRETARIAT. IT IS A REAL PITTY THAT HE WAS NOT ABLE TO PASS ON HIS GREATNESS TO FUTURE GENERATIONS. I WILL REMEMBER HIM ALWAYS.

11 Jan 2009 3:54 PM
Abbie Knowles

Cigar raced as a mature horse when compiling his winning run and he is one of the greatest ever!  I love him more than any horse except his granddad Seattle Slew!  He definitely has the look of eagles and it is obvious from all I have seen of him on videos that he is a real personality!

He moves so beautifully he could have gone to the top as a dressage horse!!!!

He did indeed have great connections - amongst the best!

Cigar the one of a kind, invincible and unbeatable one!!  May he continue to enjoy a long and happy retirement!

God Bless him!

Love

Abbie

15 Jan 2009 4:14 AM
rapidshare

Cigar, e specially in his prime had to much tatical speed, during the streak, no horse was able to run Cigar down. As far the comparision to Holy Bull. When they faced off in the in the Donn, that was only Cigar's 4th start since they switched him to dirt. In the 3 prior races, 2 of them were allowances and the other race was NYRA mile which he won by daylight. But he was still unknown see here <a href="loadingvault.com/index.php" title="rapidshare search engine">rapidshare file</a>

26 Feb 2009 11:09 AM
Invasor_Fan

Cigar was a legend and Invasor was the best horse of ¡all times!

30 Mar 2009 5:51 PM
Robin

I had the GREAT HONOR of visiting Cigar and his friends at the Horse Park last year.  You definitely knew who and what Cigar was the moment he entered the ring. The way he looked around the crowd waiting for the cameras to click, it was awesome.  He knew he was number 1! There will never be another as great, especially since he broke the mold.  Jerry fit Cigar to a "T" just as Robby fit Curlin. To have Cigar look you in the eye, the way he did, you knew you were with greatness.  I can only hope that Curlins memory and what he did for the sport compares to Cigar's .

20 Apr 2009 4:40 PM
viky digangi

I was priviledged to have ties with some people associated with Cigar's training and was able to be in attendance at some of his wins and have some wonderful time with him.  He was the BEST! He re-ignited the excitement in horse racing and gave people a hero and champion.  There will never be another Cigar.  He gave me some of the most thrilling moments of my life watching him come from behind to leave the others in the dust.

11 May 2009 5:17 PM
bisbalense

I bet cigar when he was 9/2  and followed him all the way. I felt he was mine and I loved him.

28 May 2009 4:54 PM