Point of Entry, Photo Tease

Sword Dancer contender Point of Entry at Saratoga (Photos: C. Novak)

SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY - I stopped by Shug McGaughey's barn at Saratoga Race Course Aug. 11 not to visit Point of Entry, but to take pictures of our old friend Hymn Book, the Donn Handicap (gr. I) winner and subject of my first Novak at the Track blog.

Hymn Book's stall is a few doors down from the Man o' War Stakes (gr. IT) winner, who starts this weekend in the Aug. 18 Sword Dancer Invitational (gr. IT) at the Spa. Point of Entry carries a three-race win streak going into the 1 1/2-mile Sword Dancer; he was an allowance winner at Keeneland April 14, grade II winner of the Elkhorn there April 27, then victor in the Man o' War July 14 at Belmont Park.

Point of Entry wins the Elkhorn at Keeneland (Coady Photography)

Still, the bay colt faces speedy United Nations (gr. IT) winner Turbo Compressor from the barn of Todd Pletcher in the Sword Dancer, and will not get the same easy pace scenario he found to his benefit in the Man o' War when tracking second behind Center Divider before winging away to a 3 1/2-length victory. Winning this race would stamp him as possessing some pretty serious talent. Here are the entries.

Shug McGaughey's Saratoga shedrow could be from the 1940s (C. Novak)

When I strolled down Hall of Famer McGaughey's shedrow, one of my favorites on the Saratoga backside since the old-school style and colors take you back to another era, Point of Entry's name caught my eye. The 4-year-old Dynaformer homebred out of the Seeking the Gold mare Matlacha Pass knew how to turn on the racehorse pose - eventually. But first he had to be bribed to come to the front of the stall, and then... well, you saw the photos.

Eventually, I got my "pretty shot." But the goofball faces made this one pop out as more than just another runner, and I think he's been added to my list of favorites...

So Point of Entry actually DOES know how to strike a pose (C. Novak)

...after Hymn Book, of course.

Hymn Book at Saratoga Race Course - Aug. 11, 2012 (C. Novak)

For the Sword Dancer preview, click here.

Watch Point of Entry (number 3) win the Man o' War Stakes:

lunar spook

my O.M.O.C. figures show this horse should run well in the sword dancer stakes

16 Aug 2012 1:04 PM
KG1

Hi there,

Point of Entry seems like a real character and he let you have at least one "good" photo.  I like the silly ones better.  =)

Nice to see the black silks/cherry cap having such a bang up year.  The Phipps Stables have not been having the best of luck the last few years...I guess going back to Sightseeing.

I'm hoping they snag a nice double with the comedian and Boisterous in The Arlington Million.

Keep the articles coming...I'm enjoying them.  Perhaps you could do something on a horse I've been following...especially if he wins again this weekend and they bring him to NY.  Last years Wood Memorial winner Toby's Corner who finally got back into the circle his last start.

Take care

17 Aug 2012 6:42 PM
Tiz Herself

Absolutely love Point of Entry.  Always love to see Dynaformer babies blossom and Dyna's legacy could surely be carried on with Point of Entry. Love Point of Entry's family and the Phipps Stable connections.

Matlacha Pass gave us Pine Island (rip baby girl!) and has several grandkids through her daughters that I am following also - South Shore (sired by Arch), produced by Matlacha Pass's daughter Voyage (by Rahy), Another Voyage kid in Subsonic (sired by Malibu Moon)..

There's Cats Claw (by Dynaformer) who is by Matlacha Pass's daughter Chili Cat (by Storm Cat)

Of course Our Country Place, dam of Matlacha Pass also produced Pleasant Home (Distaff winner has produced winner Trophy Wife by Giant's Causeway), Country Hideaway (dam of Boca Grande - bookmarked Boca's 2010 Giant's Causeway's colt Indian Key)..

also Maplejinsky in the family produced Sky Beauty, Silence Beauty (dam of Tale of Ekati) Gold Beauty (dam of Gold Legend and Dayjur)

Have followed his female family for many years (also bookmarked Point of Entry's half sister 2010 by Tiznow named Cazambas Pass and Survival, Matlacha Pass's Giant's Causeway 2011 colt).

Go Point of Entry! And Boisterous!

17 Aug 2012 11:52 PM
CHIEF PICAWINNA

In the pix provided POE seems to be sayin if you aint got nothin for me get the heck outta here.Those pix arent free im a star and I dont want any paparazzi hangin around.How much did you get paid for this article and pix,my representative will be calling your people about gettin my cut of the pay.

18 Aug 2012 10:01 AM
Cassandra.Says

You get the tongue out a lot, but deceptively looking lop-eared along with it . . . priceless!

He has nothing to prove to anyone who has checked out his final fractions. Wow! A horse that can attend an honest pace then take off like a deep closer . . . a Grade I, in the clear and going away under a hand ride.

Pray he holds together until he has fully displayed his talents -- that should be impressive. I'm inclined to think he could win the Marathon Friday without being extended and come back Saturday to win the Turf.

19 Aug 2012 1:30 AM
Jockeygirl

I love this horse!! He does remind me of a horse from the sixties! thank you so much for this (yet again ) awesome article on these awesome horses!

20 Aug 2012 12:31 PM