Blind Luck and Evening Jewel: Doing Fine After Oaks

Now that the Kentucky Oaks is in the history books and the mighty filly Blind Luck has emerged the winner by a nose over the hard trying Evening Jewel, everybody is probably wondering what’s next for the daughter of Pollard’s Vision.

But before I update you on that, I have to say that this race was one of the most heart pounding stretch runs I’ve seen in awhile—especially since you all know how much I love Evening Jewel and was rooting for that little filly with all my might. She put up an awesome fight, that’s for sure.

While I can’t help but love Evening Jewel’s connections because of their humble background, persistence in the game, and love of the horse, after spending some time with Blind Luck’s trainer Jerry Hollendorfer, his passion for the sport also rings true.

An extrememly understated and humble guy, Hollendorfer was highly praised by Blind Luck’s other co-owners after the race for his dedication to his horses and his hard work in preparing Blind Luck for her big run. Apparently the man wakes up every day at 3:30 a.m. to take care of his horses and works until the sun goes down. That’s pretty amazing to me.

Hollendorfer reported on the morning of May 1 that Blind Luck came out of her race in fine shape, and he can now set his sights on a second half of 2010 goal for his star filly.

“She’s doing just fine and looking good after the race,” Hollendorfer said. “She’ll fly back to California either tomorrow (May 2) or Monday. We met our spring goal now, which was to get her to the Kentucky Oaks and now it’s time to set out a plan for the rest of the year. I would think she’ll run at least once in New York at some point. We would like for her to be healthy enough and doing well enough to make it back to Churchill Downs in the fall for the Breeders’ Cup.”

Trainer Jim Cassidy gave a report on Evening Jewel as he was boarding an airplane at Louisville International Airport Saturday morning heading back to California.

“I can’t believe how good she’s doing this morning after a race like that. I wished I would have run her in the Kentucky Derby.”

Evening Jewel earned $106,343 for her Oaks efforts and pushed her bankroll to $516,943, built on a record that has seen her run first or second in eight of her nine races.

Following her demanding race April 30, Cassidy said he was surprised to see how well Evening Jewel had come out of it.

“She was just bouncing, feeling good at the barn this morning,” he said. “She’s something. I’ve got a plane for her for Monday morning and I’ll probably pick out a race for her at Hollywood Park in five or six weeks.”

Can't wait to see what she does next!

Julie L.

Why is no one interested in trying to win the Fillies Triple Tiara (Crown) anymore? I was hoping that Hollendorfer (one of my favorite trainers) would perhaps send Blind Luck after it as she is the filly with the best chance in some time of capturing it. If he won't how about evening Jewel?

01 May 2010 3:44 PM
Lisa

What a great race and so exciting.  I have become such a fan of Blind Luck and especially since she is a daughter of Pollard's Vision. She reminds me a lot of little Megahertz. Both with lots of heart and a come from behind power kick packed with dynamite! So fun to watch. Glad to know that all had a safe trip and are doing fine.

01 May 2010 7:24 PM
MRO

I love, love, love Blind Luck. Great race, and I'm glad she is doing well.

01 May 2010 10:47 PM
khyle

Blind Luck is "luckier" than Lookin' at (Un-)Lucky. Lols! :-)

02 May 2010 4:02 AM
LouAnn Cingel

What an exciting race!  I can't even explain how elated the race has made me.  I knew that Blind Luck would win.  What an amazing, beautiful and talented horse-A Little Princess!  And Jerry Hollendorfer-what an exceedingly dedicated trainer and such a wonderful man.  May God Bless them both and keep them healthy and safe throughout time.

LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

02 May 2010 8:48 AM
wl

I ADORE Evening Jewel---she always lays it all out on the line--always. I know the Bralys a bit and they love their jewel. Blind Luck is great but my heart is and always has been with evening Jewel-when she came in second to Caracortado or the other photo with BL--I could not be prouder of her than I am. Love her!

02 May 2010 11:45 AM
Carolyn in ND

Congrats!  I'm dissapointed she isn't going for Black Eyed Susans in 2 weeks.  It is sad now days that one is tried for but not all 3.  Oh well, as long as the horse stays as sound as can be done for her.

02 May 2010 2:10 PM
Rachel

I have loved BL for a long time, but even my heart broke for Evening Jewel...she reminds me of Alydar with Affirmed...and who would ever dare say that Alydar was not as much a champion as Affirmed...both fillies are great...

02 May 2010 4:39 PM
Ida Lee

I've said it before, I'll say it again .. Blind Luck's running style is going to be the end of me. I mean she was like in another State while the rest of the field was actually running at CD. I was close to heart failure. But, of course, this great Filly being who she is, came through and showed again what a great Champion she is. She may be smaller and not quite as drop dead gorgeous as some others (i.e. Zenyatta, Rachel) but she's one great race horse. And Evening Jewel, well what can you say about this super Filly. She ran great. I adore her. Good Luck to both these great ladies and cannot wait to see you again.

02 May 2010 6:08 PM
Uncle Kutt

' Evening Jewel' I really like this great Filly doing so good in the race on August 21, 2010. I belived she will doing more better in the near future, let us see ! I am a new comer in the race tracks.

22 Aug 2010 4:28 PM