Horses in Low Country

Hello and I apologize for being out of commission last week. I took a wonderful vacation to South Carolina near Hilton Head Island with my husband’s family.

We caught blue crabs off the dock, saw dolphins, sharks, and jellyfish up close, ate lots of fresh peaches, and fished in the inner coastal waters.

And...I had the privilege of riding my bike through this neighborhood every day:

While South Carolina doesn't have a Thoroughbred track, it is home to the charming and historical Aiken Training Track, as well as Cot Campbell's Dogwood Stables, the pioneers of racing partnerships. One of the best parts about the neighborhood we stayed in (Oldfield), which is nestled on the banks of the Okatie River in Low Country (about two hours from Aiken), is that they have amazing riding and boarding stables, and a wealth of trails that wind their way under a canopy of Spanish moss. Here is a link to their equestrian center.

Have any of you been to this area of the country? It is lovely. Perhaps one day, Steven and I will retire there, adopt a retired Thoroughbred, go trail riding, and live happily ever after.

Be sure to check in next week—I am working on a great story for you about Occidental Farm owner Trish Regard, who climbs mountains and raises thousands of dollars for breast cancer research.

Have a great weekend!

txhorsefan

Vacation is always good for the soul to relax, refresh and rejuvenate so you can regain your focus when you return to the everyday.  Thank you for sharing your vacation photos of the beautiful area you enjoyed.

06 Aug 2010 6:07 PM
Ted from LA

I like that big tree in the second photo.

06 Aug 2010 8:07 PM
A Canadian Fan

Welcome back, Esther. Looks like you and Steven had a great time. How could you not have a good time in those settings. We look forward to your story on Occidental Farm and many more to come.

06 Aug 2010 9:04 PM
Betsy

I'm glad you enjoyed Aiken, I used to spend my summers there - you're right it is a beautiful place! I loved hanging out at the training track; it's so peaceful in the mornings. Aiken is a real gem. It's definitely a place to live happily ever after! Looking forward to your piece on Occidental Farm!

07 Aug 2010 6:40 AM
Shelby's Best Pal

Sounds like a wonderful vacation.

07 Aug 2010 9:20 AM
Kelso Fan

Next March, try to hit the Aiken Trials and the Steeplechases - it's a great spring tradition and some great horses have come out of there.  Darley is there now too building a new barn (they bought Stonerside) along with lots of polo and any other kind of horse sport imaginable.

07 Aug 2010 4:47 PM
Kelso Fan

Visit from Oct to April and see the Aiken Thoroughbred Hall of Fame.

07 Aug 2010 4:50 PM
Bellwether

WE WENT THERE ON A SAIL BOAT...NOE RACE TRACK IS A SHAME ON THE STATE...LONG LIVE THE KING!!!...ty...

08 Aug 2010 5:07 AM
MJ

Been there.  Live in SC.  It has many hidden treasures.

08 Aug 2010 3:17 PM
merrywriter

I live in the Real Low Country on an island of hanging moss and BIG Quercus Virginiana (oaks) where we used to have a polo field.  It's staycation every day. Closest track is Orlando 2.5 hours away.

08 Aug 2010 4:31 PM
Fran Loszynski

What a beautiful vacation. After reading about Tuscan Evening a great mare having a heart attack on the track, reading your article lifted my spirits, I'd like to think she is enjoying romping again close to the white picket fences in the south with her mane in the wind. Lovely description of that area. Thank you.

09 Aug 2010 7:32 AM
Love 'em all!

Welcome to the area.  Live just south of there ... coastal Georgia.

They say those SC peaches are even better than ours.  Hope you took some back with you. [smiling]

Loved the pics.  Thanks so much for sharing your Low Country visit with us ... and so glad you folks had a great time.

09 Aug 2010 10:18 AM
Soldier Course

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the South Carolina Low Country. Your destination and Aiken are the best areas of the state. I'm from Charleston,which of course is much touted as a destination, but which has lost its native charm along the way. Aiken is just lovely.

09 Aug 2010 3:46 PM