Horse Park Happenings and Thoroughbreds at WEG

Between the Keeneland September yearling sale, feature deadlines, and moving offices, it’s been a hectic couple of weeks for me, and I apologize for not posting sooner.

Well, the World Equestrian Games at the Kentucky Horse Park are upon us here in Lexington…my aunt and her friend are here for the duration of the dressage events and are staying at my house this week, so I’ve gotten some updates on what the scene is like out at the Horse Park. Sounds like quite a spectacle! They also told me how star-struck they have been by all the big names that are out there, and the riders they have idolized for years being so close they can touch them.

I’m actually heading out to the Kentucky Horse Park this afternoon because my husband’s band is playing there, and while I wish I could sneak into one of the equestrian events, I know that’s probably not possible.

The discipline I’m most anticipating is definitely the three-day eventing this Thursday-Saturday (Sept. 30-Oct. 2). I recently wrote an article about retired Thoroughbred racehorse Courageous Comet and his rider, Becky Holder, who were named to the eventing team as individuals, so I’m super excited to see how they perform!

Here is a link to the full list of riders and horses that have been named to the US eventing team. Look at how many Thoroughbreds were named!

I think that most of their names have been changed if they were once racehorses, because I couldn’t find them in The Jockey Club system, except for Truluck (one of the alternates), who was a grade III winner during his racing career.

Are any of you in Lexington for the World Equestrian Games? Tell me what it’s like out there! If you’re not out there, have you been watching any of the events on TV?

I plan on writing an update next week about how the US eventing team performed, and hopefully I will also have some photos for you of my trip out to the Horse Park today!

Also, make sure you check out Oct. 2 issue of The Blood-Horse. It’s a special report on the issue of unwanted horses, and I wrote an article about Jane Lyon and her daughter Karen Bailey’s quest to bring home horses connected to their Summer Wind Farm. They are two of the many amazing people dedicated to taking responsibility for the horses they breed.

Rachel

I loved the CC article, I've been following him for years. Nice to see the American Eventing team with so many TB's...

29 Sep 2010 10:17 AM
Anna Ford

Hi Esther,

Be sure to stop by the New Vocations booth in the Trade Fair area.  I think you will really like our set up there.  It has been a great experience so far for us.  We are promoting adoption of retired racehorses and have had a great response.

29 Sep 2010 3:03 PM
westward

Hi Ester, I love your blog. i am a fellow eventer. all my horses are ottb's . I just brought home my newest project this friday. a 3 year old ny bred gelding. supper smart and real cute. I've had 3 great ottb ! I would not have any thing else. keep writing about our  great tb's .

29 Sep 2010 8:41 PM
tbpartnerperson43

I was attending Rolex 2008 when Comet was held right in front of me.  He is quite breath taking, with the most gorgeous top line.   He came back from a strong gallop to walk around quietly, enjoying all the comments from his fans, and picked up his gallop promptly and went on about his business when the hold was lifted.  It was wonderful that you displayed him in Bloodhorse.  I have a retired 6 year old in my barn. Not sure where I will go with him, but he has the same kind of class and presence.  He might only become a trail horse, but I bet he will be good at it, and he's not even flea bitten gray.

30 Sep 2010 8:00 AM
Esther Marr

Update...I obtained some tickets for cross country at WEG on Saturday...so exciting! I'll definitely be blogging about it next week.

Anna, I will definitely stop by your booth then...will you still be there?

Westward, I commend you for your dedication to adopting ottbs. And tbpartnerperson43, so cool that you saw Comet in person. Hopefully on Saturday I will too!

30 Sep 2010 9:40 AM
Kim Heath

The Horse Protection Assn. of Florida has re-homed over 150 TBs in the last 9 months, with quite a few of them going to our eventing friends such as Karen O'Connor and Darren Chiacchia.  We know the more TBs that do well at top levels, the more will find new careers in great homes.

Kim Heath

President

www.hpaf.org

30 Sep 2010 11:53 AM
Emily

One of my first horses was an OTTB - he taught me more lessons than any other horse I've ever ridden. His race record was 36-0-2-4, so obviously he wasn't a great racer, but he found his talent on the cross-country field. That's when the REAL TB turf horse came out! Too bad his race trainer didn't send him steeplechase - they might've had a winner!!

03 Oct 2010 4:06 AM
Rachel

Esther, did you see CC's run cross country? He lost a shoe around the 3 minute mark...what a run. I just love him and Becky.

03 Oct 2010 2:14 PM
Pedigree Ann

Unfortunately, Comet was spun on Sunday morning, after standing third after cross-country. He threw a shoe early on in the round and came back a little sore as a result.

The gold went to 'Sam', who is officially a warmblood, but his sire and damsire were both TBs, and there is probably some TB in that second dam, too. The silver medalist Cool Mountain is 7/8ths TB, officially an Irish sport horse.

04 Oct 2010 12:28 PM
The Equus Ink

I love OTTB's.  It's been great watching and reading about CC and Becky Holder!

14 Oct 2010 3:11 PM