Arctic Bright: Hollywood or Bust

I had a really neat experience on Dec. 2.

After writing this blog last winter about Thoroughbreds in Tinsel Town, and interviewing Cari Swanson of Swanson Peterson Productions, my editor informed me that Arctic Bright, a white colt I had also previously written about had been recruited by that company to train for a career in the movie business!

Rex Peterson, who is well-known for training horses in the film industry, including the Disney’s recently released “Secretariat” was present at a recent press conference at the Thoroughbred Center in Lexington, and since the story I wrote for our web site generated a lot of interest, I thought I would include some of the extra information I didn’t use in that story in this blog, along with some photos I took of Arctic Bright. I hope you enjoy!

“We wouldn’t even consider letting this horse go to just anyone--my daughters Hillary and Valerie and son Paul are all in love with the horse,” said owner/trainer Paul Megson of the 3-year-old son of Painting Freedom, who was unplaced in two starts at Turfway Park this year. “But Rex comes to us with a stellar background, and he puts the health and welfare of the horse before anything else.”

“I’ve been in the movie business 35 years, and I’ve seen a lot of white horses come and go, and I can tell you there’s not a good white horse in the movie business right now,” said Peterson, who vanned Arctic Bright to a private ranch in Southern California to be trained for a possible role on the silver screen. “I’ve been looking for the right white horse for five years, and I think this horse is it.”

Peterson said if a studio came to him and wanted Arctic Bright to be featured in an upcoming film, he could have the horse ready for shooting in seven to eight weeks.

“Most of the time, I like to put a year into it so I know where they’re at,” he said. “But I don’t think I’ll have that much time with him…I think by the middle of the year, you’ll see him in some things.”

Said Megson: “I was joking with Tommy Short who was training the horse (at the Thoroughbred Center) the other day. As Rex says, Thoroughbreds have a little more fire…they’re not crazy, just a little more aware of the present situation. We were joking if all Rex is going to do is teach this horse to rear up, he’s not going to do much, because he loves to do it on his own. So he does have a little fire to him, but he’s very, very intelligent.”

Arctic Bright with the Megson family at The Thoroughbred Center

Peterson noted how Monkeysee Monkeydo, the horse he trained for several films, including “Ruffian” and “Dreamer, won the 1989 Texas Open Futurity at Los Alamitos during his race career, but started having leg problems after campaigning just one season. His owner, who knew he was special and had a chance at another career, contacted Peterson.

“His owner said, ‘I don’t want him to be crippled and I’m afraid he’s going to because he’s been running so hard,’ ” remembered Peterson. “But now he’s 26 years old, and I still use him in the movie business. People that know the horse think it’s unbelievable. When he played Ruffian, he was in the stall and played dead. The vets that were there said, ‘We can’t believe this…the horse just came in here and lay down.’ But that’s what he was taught to do.

“Another horse I had was racing on a Friday (Harbor Mist, nicknamed “Mr. T”), and Monday morning he came to us and started training. Seven weeks later he was in Lexington with Kurt Russell leading him (on the film set of “Dreamer”), and then he went on to film “Temple Grandin” and “Arthur” in New York this summer (movie is still in production). He’s so quiet people don’t think he’s a Thoroughbred, and yet he was raced 57 times.”

Peterson was blessed to have learned the business from a man he called “the greatest trainer Hollywood had ever seen” – Glenn Randall Sr.--who conditioned all the horses for the Roy Rogers movies, as well as the the epic film “Ben-Hur.”

Arctic Bright with new trainers Rex Peterson (red shirt) and Cari Swanson

“Hollywood horses are something unless you’re around the movie business, you don’t see it anywhere else,” Peterson said. “Yes, they train Liberty Horses for the circus, but they’re always contained. When I turned my Paint Horse loose in 'Hidalgo' in the Sahara Desert, there’s not a fence in 1,000 miles. The horses have to gain a tremendous confidence in me to listen and do what I ask.

“With 120 crew members, cameras, lights, and sometimes wind machines and snow…they have to listen to me and ignore everything else. It takes patience, preparation, and persistence.”

Peterson said choosing Arctic Bright to take with him to Hollywood was partially based on a feeling.

“When I watched this horse gallop down the track the first day I saw him and I saw him playing with his jockey, he reminded me of another awfully good horse that I still own. He’s got everything going for him—we’ll see.”

Depending on his filming schedule, Arctic Bright may also stand at stud for a few months next year in either California or Kentucky as property of the Megson family. Details will be announced later.

green0

neat story!

10 Dec 2010 5:01 PM
ruffian518

He is absolutely beautiful! It's so nice to hear things about horses that really don't do so great at the track,I only wish more people would stop to think how wonderful horses are.I like the stars on the track, but my heart is with the claimers,that just Don't seem to get any notice.that should be rectified. Thanks for the article follow up.

10 Dec 2010 5:16 PM
Mike Relva

Hi Ester:

Great story. How old is Arctic Bright?

10 Dec 2010 6:35 PM
LeeAnne

Very cool, thanks for the update. Fascinating stuff.

10 Dec 2010 7:24 PM
Laura R.

Interesting story. Arctic Bright would make a wonderful "Silver" if they decided to do another "Lone Ranger" remake. Also would be good for a remake of "Legend of the White Horse."

I'm glad Thoroughbreds are getting press for off the track exploits.  Hopefully more owners will realize that once a racehorse always a racehorse is a myth and give the horses a chance at a new career if they aren't suited for the track or can no longer perform at their optimum level.

10 Dec 2010 8:03 PM
diastu

I love following hoses "of color" so the white TBs are of consierable interest to me. Thank you for sharing this additional information on this lovely fellow and the photos as well. I hope he has a very long - and fun - life. I am also glad to hear he might have the opportunity to pass on his genes to another generation. Sooner or later, a white racer will come along that will bounce us all on our ears. Here's hoping.

10 Dec 2010 8:22 PM
Trebloc

Hi Ho Silver!  We need a good western on primetime!

10 Dec 2010 8:31 PM
Mary P

He's very cool looking for sure.  He has an intelligent look and I look forward to seeing him in movies.

10 Dec 2010 8:37 PM
txhorsefan

Thank you!!  I'm so glad you had more information and pictures to share to continue the flow of the story of Arctic Bright!  There is no doubt in my mind he will be well treated by Mr. Peterson who is without peer in the Hollywood horse training realm and I'll be looking forward to seeing this horse in the movies.  Thank you!

10 Dec 2010 8:51 PM
Smartydrd

What a beautiful horse..so stately and handsome...I await anything he is in to see him in action..Hurrah...!!

10 Dec 2010 9:20 PM
Sunny Farm

HELLO REX !

You were so fortunate to have learned from Glen Randall SR. and you are right, he's the best movie horse trainer of all time...he could also sure handle a big team ! A real good man ,kind & generous too. !Your pretty good yourself !!! Does Corky still do any movie horse training , by the way ?

Have fun and good luck with Artic Bright, he looks fun and trainable for the movies !

10 Dec 2010 9:25 PM
Nancy

Beautiful horse , just beautiful!!!

10 Dec 2010 10:58 PM
horselover

He is amazing.  He would be excellent in a Lone Ranger remake.  Anyway, congratulations.  He is a beautiful animal.  I've kind of kept an eye on him since the first I heard about him, and I am so glad he has a bright future! (pun intended - lol).

11 Dec 2010 9:28 AM
CAM

I'm definitely glad to see another ex-racehorse get a chance at the big screen.  The bit at the end about possibly standing Arctic Bright at stud did give me pause... there are already so many unwanted horses, why produce more?

11 Dec 2010 10:53 AM
Bellwether

HES A JB...JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!...GREAT STORY...HE WILL HELP WITH "THE EXPOSURE" "THE GAME" SOE DESPERATELY NEEDS!!!BACK...BACK...BACK...ty...

11 Dec 2010 11:20 AM
an ole rail bird

my hat is off to REX Peterson. i have admired his talent & work for years. he is by far the best in his business. BUT, i was under the impression that THE JOCKEY CLUB would not regiester a white colt. i want to wish REX all the luck in the world in training ARTIC BRIGHT for the movies. But please dont start a color fad in the JOCKEY CLUB. Albinos have no place in the racing industry.the color code was good enough for the u.s. calvary, who tamed this country. it should be good enough for the racing industry.

11 Dec 2010 11:36 AM
Leslie

It has been a long time to see a great horse.  I remember waiting to see Westerns especially the "Lone Ranger and Silver', brings back wonderful times of childhood.  Hi-Yo Silver.

11 Dec 2010 1:16 PM
slee

Thanks very much for the update and the pictures.

I hope they keep him as a stud - good-looking, intelligent and colorful Thoroughbreds should be kept in the gene pool.  And he'll be a wonderful ambassador for the breed.

Can't wait to see what property Hollywood develops for him.

11 Dec 2010 2:38 PM
MRO

He is perfect looking. Best of luck in Hollywood!

11 Dec 2010 4:31 PM
tbpartnerperson43

What a nice follow-up on the white colt.  He is really a lovely horse, and I hope he is very successful in the movies.  Thanks for the wonderful pictures.  Hope you do another follow-up when he's had some training in Hollywood.

11 Dec 2010 4:46 PM
OldDog

Thanks for the update.  I look forward to hearing more about Arctic Bright's new career!

11 Dec 2010 6:34 PM
JM

It is important for the Thoroughbred industry to pay more attention to the interest drawn, not only by white Thoroughbreds, but also by palomino, buckskin, cremello and perlino Thorougbreds. Many people ignore that America is importing a good number of atypically colored Thoroughbreds to Europe and other parts of the world. Why not run an extensive article under the breeding section of this publication?

11 Dec 2010 7:56 PM
Linda/Maryland

Very Hansome Guy~! There are few actually white throughbreds.

11 Dec 2010 8:26 PM
Racingfan

He's beautiful! And I am thrilled that he is moving on to another career. But I am wondering how a "pure-blooded" registered Thoroughbred can be double registered as a Paint.  It would appear that he is in fact not a Thoroughbred....?

12 Dec 2010 1:06 AM
Sunny Farm

Racing Fan : The APHA only registers a paint who is either from a reg. Paint, or having one parent be a reg. AQHA. or T.B.

I have three racing Paints, the dam being a Reg. Paint and the sire being a reg. Thoroughbred. However, when this generation foals, the new generation must be bred back TO a Paint to be able to be registered in the APHA.

SO, I too wonder how one can have a registered Thoroughbred from a Paint or vice versa. I called the Jockey Club and they said they will not Register any horse that is not a Thoroughbred from both sides...so how DO you get one then ? A reg. Thoroughbred may be any color as long as the DNA matches with the two Thoroughbreds.

I have yet to find the answer, either. If anyone has the answer , please make comment.

I think the crop out colors in the Thoroughbred occured back in the Eastern usa. a few years before the American T.B. registry was created, which, by the way, was also the very first bloodlines of the Quarterhorse.Back then there were very few European Thoroughbreds to breed to in the usa, and other breeds were involved, hence the dna color patterns.This reason is also why there are Thoroughbred bloodlines who excell at sprints and not a classic distance , in my opinion, just like the Quarterhorse...the AQHA & the Thoroughbred are really brothers if you go back far enough into early American Bloodlines.

When racing became popular in early America, the sprinter type was bred back to sprinter type stallions and mares, which 'turned' them into the AQHA , while the classic Thoroughbreds were bred back to newly imported Thoroughbred stallions.

This still doesn't answer our questions though, Racing Fan.

12 Dec 2010 11:20 AM
herminio figueroa

Dear racingfan, paint is often mistaken as a pure breed type, when it is not. Paint is a breed configured by a coat color, so any horse that have a color pattern considered as paint can join that "breed". That color comes from recessive genes, or a 'one time wonder' chromosomatic combination. So a pure breed thoroughbred, oldenburg, quarter horse or even a clydesdale can be registered as paint w/out meaning that is not pure-blooded.

12 Dec 2010 11:31 AM
racehorselover

Awesome. We all know how smart horses are, so it is great that he is getting a second chance to learn a new trade. We look forward to seeing him on the big screen. Is he related to the other 17 JC registered horses?

12 Dec 2010 12:00 PM
LoupGarouTFTs

Arctic Bright was a weanling in 2007, so that would make him three? He is an amazing-looking horse--I have to admit that I took one look at him and thought "Silver," too, but he'd also make a terrific El Blanco. I can't wait to see him in a film!

Anyway, it's my understanding that 1) paints can occur in virtually any breed, 2) that paint is a color based primarily on the white spotting factor, which is random in its expression, and 3) that the Paint registry is only a color registry and not a breed registry. All of those things would mean that Painting Freedom (a gorgeous horse!) can be dual registered and purebred Thoroughbred.

12 Dec 2010 1:41 PM
Monika P

For those of you who would like more information on Thoroughbreds of color, check out Painted Desert Farm in Redmond, Oregon.

12 Dec 2010 4:29 PM
sidekickflats

Actually, the American Paint Horse assoc.  only accepts horses from Paint, American Quarter Horse or Thoroughbred bloodlines.

Pintos, on the other hand,  can be many breeds from miniature horses, Saddlebreds, warmbloods etc.

The Pinto website states that any horse of acceptable breeds ( I assume there is a complete list) that has 3 or 4 inches of white in the specified area (on the body) with pink skin qualifies as a pinto. They do accept certain horses that don't meet the criteria if other conditions are met.

There was a tri colored Thoroughbred that was dual registered with the Jockey Club and Paint Horse Assoc. about 10 or so years ago.  I want to say his name was Trichrome but that may be wrong.  I know a white mare was imported from Australia about 8 or 9 years ago and I think went to a farm in the east somewhere.

12 Dec 2010 10:45 PM
Sunny Farm

One cannot just "Join' & register as a Paint with the Paint assoc just because they have a horse of color or pattern. This is true , however with the Pinto horse Assoc.

To be registered in the APHA at least one parent must be a reg. Paint. The only other exceptions for registries allowed to participate in th APHA , are the AQHA & the Jockey Club. Your Reg. Paint would have to have come from a mating from a AQHA or J.C. and a Reg. Paint, and / or be from both parents that are registered Paints.

A Thoroughbred can be color patterned and be Registered if his DNA matches Thoroughbred to Thoroughbred. So, the only way you can get a APHA- T.B would be via the Paint registry. I have never heard of a "Double Registered Thoroughbred'' , or a "Double Registered Paint "

12 Dec 2010 11:08 PM
Sunny Farm

Monika ; Painted Desert Farm has some beautiful horses don't they !

I think they have some "White' Thoroughbreds and also some Sabinos. Anyway, they are colorful and have nice conformation, thanks for placing thier link so others can see them !

13 Dec 2010 12:09 AM
Life's Magic

Herminio and LoupGarouTFTs - You are confusing Paints with "Pintos."  It is the Pinto horse that is configured strictly by coat color and can occur virtually in any breed.  Spotted Oldenburgs, Clydesdales, Saddle Horses, or other spotted breeds are Pintos, NOT Paints. There is also a Pinto registration where these spotted horses of any breed can be registered based strictly on coat color.  A Paint (eligible for registration by the American Paint Horse Association) is a specific breed based upon genetic breed characteristics and conformation type in addition to several spotted patterns.  The APHA is the 2nd largest breed assocaition in the US - 2nd only to the AQHA.  To be eligible for APHA registry, a horse's sire and dam must be registered Paint Horses, registered Quarter Horses with the AQHA, or registered Thoroughbreds with The Jockey Club.  At least one parent must be a registered American Paint Horse.  A spotted Thoroughbred is eligible for Paint Horse Registry.

13 Dec 2010 12:56 AM
TripleCrownKaren

In answer to Ole Rail Bird's observation.....a horse is not considered an ALBINO unless there is Pink skin, white coloration and BLUE eyes.    This horse has DARK eyes, therefore he is not technically an Abino.   And ANY breed can have what they call a "crop out" with white where it shouldn't be and STILL genetically BE a Thoroughbred or QH.   "Odd" colors are evidenced quite a bit in many breeds.  Even the "purest" of breeds, the ARABIAN from whence both the TB and the QH are genectically descended, often have individuals with white markings on the body (most common in Chestnut colored individuals) and/or light manes & tails.   The heredity/genetics of color is a whole science unto itself.   So Yes it IS possible to have a "PUREBRED" TB who is white without being an ALBINO.  It is only in recent times that Quarter Horse Registry started to accept "their" crop outs, when a breeder with a VERY expensively bred colt who happened to be born with while above the knees was refused registry even WITH the proof of parentage via DNA testing.    The breeder sued the Registry, hence their guidelines changed.  Mother nature will due just what she wants....doesn't matter how WE think it should go.

13 Dec 2010 9:52 AM
Sunny Farm

I don't mean to drift off topic , but when Life's Magic noted that the APHA is the second largest breed association, I am compelled to make the following statement:

There is a reason the APHA does not struggle like the Jockey Club.& Throughbred breed.

The APHA has programs FOR the beginner as well as the experienced horsemen. The APHA treats everyone with respect & friendship. They offer more diferent types of riding for thier breed, be it English, Western, or just plain trail / pleasure riding. (It is not ALL about showing !!!) In short , it is a real club. I've been a member for over 15 years, & have never had a bad day. I don't feel rejected, or hurt in this welcoming club.There is also APHA Racing and this is growing as well.

Those involved with APHA racing tell me "It's really fun and also affordable''. The Paint still brings a fair price despite the economy, while I cry to see the Thoroughbred is giving thier horses away, there is a reason for this. We MUST do better in the Thoroughbred industry and take an honest look as to why this decline has happened before it is too late.

I've been saying for three years now, that the Thoroughbred needs a REAL CLUB-A club where the members feel wanted and welcomed and there are avenues to invite one to race (And other enjoyable competitions )& to help them get there. Claiming races are NOT a way to get people racing !A real club has a place for ALL , even if your two years old, or  ninety-two. Apha recognized this very important fact some years ago and they do well & I remain loyal as a member. Oh,BTW., they don't need drugs to compete and they take a firm stand against this abuse and cheating & if a member abuses the privilages, they are cast out.The Thoroughbred should study the format and mission of the APHA and make improvement.NOW is a great time, all thanks to Team -Z and thier kindness they have shown to everyone, "we" should immediately build upon this momentum and the first words need to BE , "WELCOME" ! The second needs to be, "We want you with us and will help you get into racing''

"We' have a race set up just for you, our honored new-comer."

EVEN if your not wealthly, you are important to us !"

The Thorougbred is one of THE best horses on the earth , it's very sad to see the decline of the breed, and it is due to selfish -greed and the "Special members ONLY attitude", weather it is breeding or racing.

13 Dec 2010 11:55 AM
Deborah

I loved the information - stories like this are what is needed to make people interested in the horse world in general.  Please, more and updates on Artic Bright! I will go to the movies just to see the equine stars.

13 Dec 2010 1:56 PM
CHoffman

A hard horse to miss during the call.

Glad to see he's being given a chance at another career and stardom.  Maybe even a star on the Walk of Fame.

13 Dec 2010 4:32 PM
LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

Artic Bright is intoxicatingly gorgeous and I hope to see him in some upcoming movies and etc.  He is absolutely cut out to be a star!  Good luck to him-

My Love & Blessings to him Always!

LouAnn

14 Dec 2010 9:23 AM
Paul

Esther:

I just want to thank you for putting this blog together for Arctic.  I also want to thank all of these nice folks who have spent their time writing and supporting him. He is adjusting well to the great California weather and we are so happy that he is in such good hands.  I will stay out of the double registered discusion just to say that I am looking at his papers as we speak and his Jockey Club registration number is 0709752 and his APHA number is 911,428. Again thanks for taking the time to support Arctic. We will, thru Esther and this blog, keep you up to date as to his training or upcomming engagements.  You can also find him on facebook. ARCTIC BRIGHT to see phoyoes etc.

14 Dec 2010 7:51 PM
EarlySpeed

Just put him to some chestnut mares, and you will have a bunch of palomino or cremello Thoroughbreds.

15 Dec 2010 8:59 PM
Jane

Terrific!  Thanks!

16 Dec 2010 7:42 AM
Sunny Farm

Dear Paul ; Thanks for taking the time to post a comment. If you read this blog again , please list the name of the dam and her breed registry. -I am absolutely confused now-when I have called both the APHA & the J.C. , I have been told repeatedly, just what I wrote above on my comments. When registering my foals, they can only be either APHA or J.C. but never both. What makes Artic Blast different ? I have heard from a few others that they also have a "Duel-reg APHA -J.C."

Very few , but I have heard it said. I have had several other people ask me "How can I reg. with both breeds" and I have always told them what I have been told by the breed registries. Somehow, there is a missing link that few of us seem to understand.Was Painting Freedom (The sire ) a J.C. or a APHA ? This bugs me and I will continue to look for the answers. In the mean-time, wishing You and Artic Blast a blast making movies !

16 Dec 2010 11:28 PM
Lise from Maine

Bonjour Arctic Bright,

What a gorgeous looking guy that you are as you are so unusual in

color.

Go out and make the best film

possible, and I am eager to see

the end results.

I am so happy that someone saw some

value (not monetary either)in you.

Love to you, Arctic Bright!

17 Dec 2010 7:31 AM
sidekickflats

Sunny Farm,

I can't answer for the APHA but obv. Artic Bright's sire and dam were/are Thoroughbreds registered with the Jockey Club.  Only Thoroughbreds can be registered with the JC.  Whether or not a horse can also qualify to be registered with another organization is not the JC concern.  There are some TB dual registered with the APHA and prob. some registered with Sport Horse registries.

If you google dual registered TB, you can get quite a few websites that come up.  If the APHA registry can't help  you (and I'm not sure why they couldn't), try calling one of the farms that raise  dual registered TB and Paints. If you breed a registered TB to a registered TB , you should be able to registered the foal as a TB regardless of color assuming all of the other requirements are met (DNA etc).

18 Dec 2010 4:16 PM
sidekickflats

On the APHA website it states " Of course, it is possible that your horse is solid white. In this case, your horse may be eligible for the Breeding Stock Registry."

That might be the case of all while Artic Bright.  He may be registered with the Breeding Stock Registry.  But I couldn't find that much info on the requirements of that except that all horses reg. with the APHA had to be registered with the APHA , the AQHA or the Jockey Club to be eligible.

18 Dec 2010 4:29 PM
Jeff G

Thanks for the mention of Harbor Mist in the article. I trained him to his three wins as a race horse. Those win photos were a little more special after he became the star of Dreamer.

21 Dec 2010 2:14 PM
Dani

Everytime I see a photo of this horse I am just captivated. He is so stunning and has such a smart eye. No doubt he will make his mark as a movie star. So happy to know that he has a happy place to spend his semi-retirement.

23 Dec 2010 10:39 AM
Linda in Texas

Thank you Esther and thank you Paul for Arctic Bright's information.

There is just something spell binding about White Horses. Cannot explain it, but they are unusual in a wonderful way.

I love his red accoutrements. And that he will have great roles to play when called upon.

Delightful story. Very nice.

Thanks so much for caring about him and seeing that he is given the chance to contribute. They should all be so lucky.

Good Luck Handsome Guy.

29 Dec 2010 2:21 PM
Sunny Farm

SideKick Flats :

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I haven't been on this site for awhile but see your comment. Yes, a Reg.T.B to a Reg T.B -no matter what color- begets a Reg. T.b. BUT , as I said , then HOW do you ALSO get a reg. APHA. When neither parent has any Paint and is dna'd as a reg. T.B. !

Artic Bright doesn't even have paint markings and is "White" !!! I have not received answers either. That's great that this colt is "Duel Registered"but what is so different about him, few others could do a duel-registry, and in the Paint rules, it would appear that one cannot Reg. in this way.

Even a Breeding Stock Reg. Paint will still need at least one parent to be a reg. APHA.

Reg. Breeding Stock just denotes a APHA who did not color and is a solid color with not enough white markings to be a full papered APHA.

I am still confused and have been involved in the Breeding of both breeds for some years. One would think there would be an answer out there somewhere & I'll keep asking. If anyone does find out , please reply.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011 !

03 Jan 2011 11:12 AM
Delrene

He is so handsome!!!  If they remake the Lone Ranger or a Hoppy movie - he will be the star!!!

I'm hoping for a Lone Ranger remake- full length.

Thanks for the great pictures.

03 Jan 2011 11:47 AM
Sunny Farm

Jan 04 2011 I received the following reply from the APHA on Artic Bright :

The APHA stated that Artic Bright's SIRE was also Duel Registered. IF the sire was Reg. APHA, then the foal

(Artic Bright ) would qualify for the "One parent rule " and therefore be eligible for the registry as a solid Paint bred with APHA.

SO...this is what I and many other breeders also thought, that at least ONE parent would HAVE to be a reg. APHA. Okay...so then HOW was Artic Bright and a few other Thoroughbreds ALSO be able to be a Reg. Thoroughbred if the Jockey Club states in thier rules, that BOTH parents must be a reg. and dna'd THOROUGHBRED ? I have asked both registries and the J.C. vehemently replys every time that it cannot be done...yet is is done but for very few horses.According to the APhA Artic Bright WAS a reg. Paint due TO his sire.

If you study the rules on both registries, it would appear IMPOSSIBLE, yet the rare duel registry does exsist for a very few Thoroughbreds. Very few breeders have them or understand HOW one would qualify, me and many others have asked this question and so far not received an absolute answer. I just thought I'd share what I was told and will continue to inquire.

06 Jan 2011 10:52 AM
Sunny Farm

ON Jan 05 2011, I asked my second question of APHA. This is the reply AND THE ANSWER as to why Artic Bright and a VERY few other horses may be duel registered:

Here is the reply from APHA :

"The sires SIRE , AIRDRIE APACHE was registered with the APHA BEFORE the One paint-parent rules were in effect "

AIRDRIE APACHE had Jockey Club papers BUT had enough white markings to qualify for the Regular APHA registry as a crop-out when the one parent rule had NOT been established yet.

Therefore all of his off- spring would qualify for the APHA registry.

APHA went on to say "I would assume because the dam was a reg. Jockey Club mare, the breeders would have used the reg. number of the J.C. on the sire to make Artic Bright eligible.

The current "One Paint-parent rule went into effect Jan 01-2006"

I appreciate the APHA taking the time that they did for me ,and  many others who have wondered and been confused. How wonderful to finally know and understand HOW a Paint AND a Thoroughbred may also be made to have a "Duel Registry''.

Now I know why there are VERY few able to be reg. in BOTH breeds.

I had asked this question two years ago but today I received a clear and concise answer & wanted to share this finding with everyone.

06 Jan 2011 11:12 AM
Gallopgirl12

I'm gonna miss galloping him each morning, he was a good boy.

11 Mar 2011 10:06 AM
Gallopgirl12

And actually he did have one black marking on him. on his left eye he had a black spot on his eyelid. But you barely notice it unless he is sleeping.

11 Mar 2011 10:08 AM