Hotstufanthensome Finds a Home!

Many of you may have already read in the updated section of the previous blog that Hotstufanthensome has found a forever home, but I wanted to make a separate post to make sure everyone saw the great news.

After much consideration of several individuals and organizations that offered to take Hotstufandthensome, New Vocations announced Jan. 12 that the gelding would be going to Akindale Thoroughbred Rescue in Pawling, N.Y., an organization with which they have a longstanding relationship.

“We are thrilled that Akindale stepped up and offered their services to him,” said Anna Ford, executive director of New Vocations.

In return, Akindale will send one of its adoptable horses to New Vocations, which will enter the retraining program and eventually find a new home. “This is a perfect example of two programs working together and utilizing their strengths,” said Ford. “Hotstuf is scheduled to be shipped next week (probably Sunday, Jan. 16), weather permitting. Another positive side to this story is that Evening Attire who actually raced against Hotstuff is also a resident at Akindale. It is great that the two will meet up once again.”

Ford called the support for Hotstuf “amazing” and noted that New Vocations has received nearly $2,500 in donations, which will cover his board, farrier, and vet bills during the 10 months he has been at that facility.

Any further donations will go toward Hotstuf’s shipping and care at Akindale Thoroughbred Rescue. Akindale does have a sponsorship program and will be looking for ongoing sponsors for Hotstuf. Those interested should contact Erin at eclibertybell@aol.com. For more information on Akindale's program, visit www.akindalehorserescue.org.

Ford also wanted to address some confusion among people that commented on the last blog entry about Hotstufanthensome:

“We apologize for any confusion concerning the rumors of Hotstuf going to Old Friends. New Vocations had contacted Old Friends numerous times over the past five months but never received any conformation on them accepting him. We are not sure who posted the information about him going there. If anyone has made a donation for Hotstuff’s care to Old Friends you will need to contact them directly with any questions.”

If anyone needs to contact New Vocations, e-mail at anna@horseadoption.com or call 937-642-3171.  www.horseadoption.com.

Following are some comments from Erin Pfister of Akindale Thoroughbred Rescue:

"I sent (Anna Ford) an email saying we could help, and it escalated from there," said Pfister, adding that New Vocations had done a horse trade with Akindale once before. "(Horse rescue facilities) need to help each other out, and this is a good example of that."

Akindale currently boards around 150 horses at its facility, half of which are adoptable, and half of which are permanent residents due to various health conditions.

"I have had three people email me already about sponsoring (Hotstufanthensome)," said Pfister. "We’re really excited, and (jockey) Richard Migliore (who rode Hotstuf during his career) came out this morning to see the facility. He’ll come out again after Hotstuf comes. It’s been such a happy feeling to be able to help a horse like him."

Pfister said Hotstufanthensome would probably be buddied with Greeley’s Legacy in the same paddock. Eventually, she plans on adding grade I winner Evening Attire and others to the mix. Once Hotstuf is settled into his new home, I will post an update blog with some photos.

I want to thank all my readers for your interest in this story and your support! You all have proven to not just complain about a situation, but actually do something about it, and that has made all the difference in this horse’s life.

Fuzzy Corgi

Happy news! I'm so happy Hotstuf found a field that he can adorn forever. Even better is that with the trade another horse has a chance at a new career. Some vocational training and this guy may be the next Courageous Comet or Chinook Pass.

While it's sad that Hotsuf was used up and his ankles will no longer allow him any career other than lawn ornament, a horse doesn't need to be perfectly sound off the track to do well or even excel in another performance sport. Even some really ugly bowed tendons and suspensory pulls allow a horse to be competative as a hunter. I had a 17.1 hand gelding that retired with 2 wins after 22 starts and along the way earned some really bad ankles. By the time he was 4 his left ankle had virtually no flexion. Because he was smart and athletic he still became a very useful childrens hunter. He was a terrible mover on the flat but over fences he was terrific. He jumped 3'9" to 4' courses.

Please keep donating to race horse rescues and Ester, please keep giving us wonderful stories of the 'little guys' who are the heart of racing.

14 Jan 2011 11:40 AM
Blue Blue Sea

That is truly excellent news!

14 Jan 2011 1:12 PM
MRO

Wonderful news! I sent a small donation to New Vocations & will also do something for Akindale. As I'm sure many of you know, Evening Attire's 1/2 brother Tacticianor is now at Akindale too.

14 Jan 2011 1:36 PM
ILVSLEW

I am so glad to see he is safe, and find a new happy home...goodness...GOD truly bless all of you!!

14 Jan 2011 3:13 PM
Stan

Hotstufandthensome is missing from Pedigree Online. He should be there along with detailed information about his good and bad times and people. His name might have been removed on purpose to make it harder to find out who bred him and who he made the big bucks for then dumped him as damaged good. Those who saved him when he became too broken down to race should be highlighted along with donors who don't appear to be those who profited from him. All of it should be in Pedigree Online for the world to see.

14 Jan 2011 3:35 PM
carol b

Fabulous news.  I am so happy for him.

14 Jan 2011 4:31 PM
ruffian518

I am more happy that you could ever know, I'm so happy he has a new home, Thank God, he deserved it, I thought he was a wonderful horse. So glad and happy! thanks to everyone who worked hard to accomplish it. Yvone

14 Jan 2011 5:14 PM
robin from michigan

Oh, that is such great news about Hotstufnthensome. He will be forever happy, in his new home I'm sure of it. And we don't have to worry about him going to some place that might not be good for him. YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA. Now, it's time to party.

14 Jan 2011 5:52 PM
DONNA

So glad things are working out for Hotstuf, I was so worried about him after reading the article. Now my worries have been laid to rest.

14 Jan 2011 6:56 PM
gammyp6

Wonderful!! I too will be donating to his new forever home!!

14 Jan 2011 7:00 PM
txhorsefan

Thank you!  I appreciate your letting us know that details have been worked out for Hotstufanthensome to have a forever home.  Congratulations for a job well done to all of those who worked for this to happen and those who donated.

14 Jan 2011 7:04 PM
Teezee

I sent an email to Michael Blowen at Old Freinds about Hotstufandthensome's plight and he told me they were taking him in March. I'm sure he fully intended to do so. I guess this horse had a few organizations interested in him. Thank God he didn't slip though the cracks. That's what's most important.

14 Jan 2011 7:41 PM
Karen in Indiana

Hey Stan, he's still listed. Take the d out of his name, the site is picky about spelling.

14 Jan 2011 8:31 PM
Robin from Maryland

Best news ever!!!! A great BIG THANK YOU to everyone involved.  May Hotstuf be truly happy, and live a long and rewarding life.  He earned it!  God Bless to all.

14 Jan 2011 10:12 PM
LongStoryTB

Fantastic!  Stan...I wondered that too. I went out to pedigreequery also. Wishing a safe and happy, and well deserved life!

14 Jan 2011 10:21 PM
GhostTown

I would have been very suprised after last week's blog if Hotstufanthensome had not found a new home.  It's just terribly sad that for every one that finds one, countless others do not.  I just want everyone involved with rescue organizations to know how much I appreciate and admire their devotion and hard work.

Fuzzy Corgi,

I do not want to put a damper on the good news but I am more than a little concerned that you would allow anyone, especially a child to jump a horse with "really bad ankles" with "virtually no flexion".  He could trip over a ground rail let alone a 4 foot fence regardless of how athletic he is.  I am hoping you are talking about the pastern joint which doesn't flex much anyway, but why, with those changes, wouldn't you give him an easier job instead of stressing those joints even more?  You are exacerbating the problem that is already there.  If he was a "terrible mover" because of his ankle issues, he should have never been jumped.

14 Jan 2011 10:22 PM
deana dameron

I am so grateful that hotstufandthensome has a new home and will be loved and cared for for a lifetime.  He deserved a happy life and I applaud all the effort and time that was spent to make this happen for him.  It is amazing what can happen when people work together.

14 Jan 2011 11:52 PM
J

Stan, his name is there. You've misspelled it.  It's "Hotstufanthensome." Only 1 F and no D. We've all been guilty of typing it incorrectly at some point. I know it's hard to get it quite right because it's such a strange spelling to fit all the words in. His info is in the database along with a picture. As for naming names, it's not likely that a bunch of people's names would be allowed to stay. There's already a place to put the owner, trainer, etc. Putting anything else like a list of donors or those you wish to be critical of is not what the record on Pedigree Query is for, and there's a character limit in those boxes anyway. The Akindale people can post donors on their own website if they want to, and I doubt they would without the donors' permission. I'm sure you could then post a link to that website on the horse's page. It'd be much cleaner.

15 Jan 2011 12:34 AM
jodi in Indiana

wonderful news.......we're hoping to do the same for Dyna King who was turned loose on the desert to die by his owner!!!!!!!   Please keep us updated on this one, too...thanks to those who are saving the unwanted horses whose owners took their winnings and let it go at that. .....shame on them!!

15 Jan 2011 5:11 AM
Anne

I will never understand how breeders and owners who enjoy those wins and bragging rights as they lead their charge into the winners circle can later just toss the horse that gave them a nice check out the window. Richard's blog was very touching and I knew after reading it, he would help make things happpen. Fans of this sport are amazing and very giving during these personal tough times to make sure these beautiful specimens are taken care of. At least the lucky ones that do not fall through the cracks. Bless you all.

15 Jan 2011 6:20 AM
tbpartnerperson43

Stan... the horse was on Pedigree Query the day the first article was written.  All anyone needs to do is get the PP's for Hotstuf.  The info will be there.  I think I remember the breeder and owner but I'm not entirely sure, so I will not put it here.  Glad he has found a home.  Sad such a nice looking fellow most likely won't be sound enough for a second career.  My OTTB is much more fortunate.  Problem with him is that he might just be a bit too much horse for me in my advanced age.   <smile>

15 Jan 2011 9:09 AM
LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

Praise the good Lord, my prayers have been answered.

Hotstufandthensome, you will always be in my prayers.

Love & Blessings to him always!

15 Jan 2011 9:16 AM
Sandy

Great news!!! Thanks to all that helped!!!!

15 Jan 2011 9:26 AM
PerkyGreen

I just read your article for the first time and was appaulled how can owners and or trainers allow things like this happen? Is there no enity tosee over these situations? It seems to me if the horses are raced and purses are collected the owners should be held liablefor accrued costs,and care

15 Jan 2011 10:56 AM
Pedigree Ann

Stan, Ped Query is very sensitive to spelling errors. I notice that you interpolated a 'd' in his name in order to spell 'and' correctly, the type of error of which I find myself making as well. Try it without the 'd'.

15 Jan 2011 11:05 AM
Dani

What a great way to start my Saturday. Absolutely wonderful news. The arrangement made between New Vocations and Akindale is such a win-win situation. It is really uplifting news. Also really fantastic is that so many sent in donations to help cover 'Hotstuf's' care while at New Vocations. Look forward to the update blog and photos.

15 Jan 2011 11:42 AM
needler in Virginia

In defense of Old Friends, they are first and FOREMOST a retirement facility for stallions, which, of course,  are the hardest to place. They have taken others, but theirs is a unique facility created primarily for stallions. So if anyone is going to knock Old Friends, maybe you should wander by their retirement facility before you speak. While harder and harder to find, there are places for horses like Hotstuf, while a pensioned stallion had NO options. Michael and the heroes at Old Friends created a haven for these guys and should be applauded for their hard work and for providing the ONLY option for a sound, healthy, but pensioned, stallion. Akindale is a marvelous place and should be proud to have Hotstuf on their roster. More should be done for all the horses, but doesn't it say something sad about racing that the big winners and big sires can't even find a home, never mind a

horse missing a load of black type next to his name?

Well done, New Vocations and Akindale, but I really hope NO ONE tries to throw stones at Old Friends over a rumor.

Cheers and safe trips to Hotstuf!

15 Jan 2011 12:04 PM
Linda in Texas

Having no more room on my property, i worried about Hotstufandthensome each day as i could not take him.

So thanks be to those who opened their hearts to him.

He should never have been placed in this predicament by his original owners. It is time for some responsibility for these wonderful horses to be required. It is the right thing to do for all of them. None of them should have to beg for their care at the end of their racing careers.

15 Jan 2011 1:22 PM
horse lover

Why oh why do people not take care of these animals even the ones that don't make it at all.The only reason these animals are on this earth is because someone bred a mare to a stallion and the result sould be the responsiblity forever of the persons the animal to be born.

15 Jan 2011 2:09 PM
RGGC

So glad everything worked out. I saw both Hotstuf and Evening Attire many times and felt I had to try to let others know of his plight. I guess alot of others did too. Thats what makes the horse community so great. We had a thread going on the TVG Community and I know myself and others sent donations to New Vocations. I knew others would step up to help too. Lets hope there will be a time when all not just some of the people who profiting from these wonderful animals have the heart to make sure all of our equine atheletes have a place to go in retirement.

15 Jan 2011 2:54 PM
quarterhossgal

Wonderful ending to his story!There are many kind, caring people out there excluding the ones that profited from the racing this guy did and decided to abandon him when he needed their help.  This lack of care is what we see too often with horse racing.  Bless people like the Moss family and the Jackson family that are an example of how to care for their horses after they have finished racing.

15 Jan 2011 2:59 PM
Fuzzy Corgi

Ghost Town - Thanks for your concern but I had nothing to do with the horses show career. I got the horse after he was retired from the show ring and the junior owner went off to college. Despite his ankles he was a very kind, careful, and safe horse. He moved a little short in front and probably had a little more knee action because of his ankle limitations. Even before his front ankles became a problem I suspect he moved like a sewing machine behind. The hunter judges like the horses to be have more of a daisycutter action. His trot was rough but had a lovely rocking horse canter.

I never saw him run because he raced in NY and showed in CA so I can't compare him before and after. My shoer often remarked that his ankles were consistently some of the coldest he worked on and wore down his shoes perfectly in the middle. This horse didn't hurt, he just modified the way he moved. He was more sound than many of the pony horses I see every day at the track.

He became a trail and play horse for me and went along safely and nicely except for on steep downhills where he had to take a little more time getting down. We even helped a friend bring the cattle in for team penning a few times a week. I tried retiring him to pasture but he hated it and ran the fence for months and lost over 200 lbs. I figured he was safer and better off in a stall with a job and lots of human interaction. He was a great guy and I miss him everyday.

15 Jan 2011 4:32 PM
Linda in Texas

I beg Hotstuf's pardon, i put a 'd' in his name and i did so accidentally. I apologize.

Just so many heart felt thanks to those who campaigned for him to find him a place to call home.

And Michael Blowen at Old Friend's is the greatest. I would hope no one would find any fault with his magnanimous efforts on behalf of some of the greatest stallions ever. I miss Black Tie Affair to this day and i know he was cared for and loved deeply til his last breath. Mr. Blowen's heart is huge and he gives a little of it to everyone of the old dear giants entrusted to his care.

15 Jan 2011 6:44 PM
Silverfoot

What a great outcome! I'd been following Hotstuf's races for some time & didn't know what happened to him until just recently & when I heard, my heart just about broke. I sent what I could afford (which wasn't much) to New Vocations & soon I'll send a little more to Akindale. I try to support horse rescue when I can; hopefully more can step up - even small donations add up, all to the horses' benefit.

15 Jan 2011 8:54 PM
NancyP

Oh, This is great news! He will be very happy there Thanks to John Hettinger who was truly a great horseman with abiding love for horses.  I have been to Akindale.  It is LARGE, exceptionally well maintained.  The people are wonderful!  I saw Evening Attire, after his last retirement.  He was one of my favorites and he looked so happy covered in mud and sharing his space with two buddies. I also saw Secretariat's son D'Accord.  He is quite old now, but still very handsome in spite of losing his teeth which makes it difficult for him to eat carrots or hard treats.

I'm so happy Hotstuff is there!

16 Jan 2011 12:54 PM
MRO

Keep the stories coming. We can't help if we don't know who is in need. Thanks!

16 Jan 2011 2:51 PM
Jenna M

A happy ending. It's so nice to hear :>

16 Jan 2011 6:58 PM
Kathryn

One of the exceptional pluses brought to racing by the Zenyatta Phenomenon is an awareness of the racing scene; what can be discovered and examined can be made whole.  Sensitivity to the lives of animals always brings a sense of reponsibility for them, and one can never think of them as machinery, a commodity or a 'thing.'  They have hearts, feelings, affections and pride of accomplishment -- and, feeling a fly alight on their coats, flick one off with exquisite sensitivity.  Anyone who has conferred with a horse on a one-to-one basis, learns how much they honor you with their trust and willing natures.  It`s enough to bring tears when things go well for them, as for Zenyatta; when things have gone wrong, but find the way back -- as for 'HotStuf' -- well, tears, too.  Such a happy ending.  Thank you to all of you who were there for him, and got him to a good, just reward.  Khc.

16 Jan 2011 7:18 PM
Ida Lee

Thank you every one who worked together to get this wonderful athlete a forever home. The horses are truly blessed to have people like you caring for them. I'm also so glad that Evening Attire is having a great retirement. I adored him when he was racing and still do.

16 Jan 2011 7:48 PM
Caren

Marylou Whitney will receive an Eclips Ward this year for her dedication to the sport. She is in my book the 'The First Lady' of racing. She is what all breeders should aspire to. I'm sure most of you know the story of her homebred CVIANO back in '04'. When she was informed about his situation of being rescued from a 'killing pen'

in PA she didn't hesitate to step up to the plate and reclaim him. She put forth a challenge to all breeders to become involved with thier horses throughout thier entire lifetime, not just thier foaling and/or marketability. She is very involved with Thoroughbred Retirement, And I belive she has founded such a facility. Mrs Hayes

should be commended as well. She is one breeder who took up Marylou's challenge. There are others too but unfortunately not enough. I'm happy for for HOTSTUF

16 Jan 2011 10:26 PM
Lisa

Hot Stuff left the Lexington facility yesterday afternoon and arrived safely at Akindale today where he has already settled in well.

Just wanted to thank each and every one of you for the tremendous support you have shown this brave little horse - your comments have touched my heart. I would also like to thank the Bloodhorse, everyone at Akindale, Morrissey Horse Transport, Park Equine Hospital and Dave Marlow our farrier for all the help and assistance they have given Hot Stuff. He shall be greatly missed here in Lexington.

You can follow his journey on the New Vocations and Akindale Facebook pages - there are photos of both his departure from KY and his arrival in NY and there will be updates.

Again thank you all for not forgetting him.

Lisa

16 Jan 2011 11:26 PM
Lakeway

Hotstuf arrived at Akindale today and there are some pictures on FB of the gorgeous boy. Thanks and God bless to all who helped Hotstuf...

17 Jan 2011 12:33 AM
Bellwether

LOOK N @ LUCKY HEAR...DEAR...ty ALL!!!...

17 Jan 2011 5:45 AM
Tricia Smarty

All I can say is "Praise the Lord" and I'm not even an overly religious person.  And I love the fact he will get to hang out with a former adversary in Evening Attire.  They should have a blast together.  I am so glad that Bloohdorse put this on the site and that he gets the peaceful retirement he so deserves.

17 Jan 2011 12:24 PM
Deb

Yea for the Hotguy.

I hope all of them find forever homes......

17 Jan 2011 2:13 PM
Jamesb

Brian Skirka, I hope you stepped up.

sports.espn.go.com/.../story

17 Jan 2011 8:29 PM
Zemonized

Happy to know that Hotstuf is now Forever Safe thanks to caring people like you.

17 Jan 2011 10:47 PM
Fred in Montreal

I read your first story about this horse and recall that some measures were taken not to reveal the names of Hotstuff's connections.

But isn't this exactly what should happen?

18 Jan 2011 11:19 AM
CDR

It is always happy news to hear of another horse that will be saved and cared for.

I think the names of the connections should be revealed.

All these sad stories for all these beautiful animals that make us all so happy.

18 Jan 2011 4:24 PM
Don

I am so happy for Hotstufandthensome, and for Akindale.

I think that if everyone on this blog just donates, say $5 to Akindale, then horses like Hotstufandthensome, could be taken care of.  Even a dollar by everyone would go a long way. Often times, it is just a matter of funds for these organziations.

20 Jan 2011 8:32 AM
amy

wonderful!!!!!! he was sooooo!!! pretty!!!!! i wanted to buy him myself but he deserved a very nice home!! o!! im so happy!! hes so pretty!!! its sad how people forget those champion geldings!!

21 Jan 2011 9:31 PM
Patricia G

I'm wondering if Hotstuf etc.

would be good for trail riding

and just plain hacking. Many people

love to do just that. Not everyone likes to go over jumps_(me included)

Glad to here Evening Attire is fine. I've always loved that horse. Dang he was good.

Patricia Guthrie

Author

23 Jan 2011 10:38 PM
Lakeway

There are some great pictures of Hotstuf and Greeley in their new pasture at:

www.facebook.com/album.php

Looks like they're going to be very happy together...

07 Feb 2011 4:07 PM