Beyond the Blinkers Updates

Dear Beyond the Blinkers readers,

As you know, Triple Crown and Kentucky Oaks season is upon us, and from April 1-May 6, I will be switching the focus of this blog to the Kentucky Oaks.

Like last year, I will be covering this race for the magazine, and through Beyond the Blinkers, I will be updating you with fun features, and behind-the-scenes stories of the Oaks hopefuls and their connections.

If you have any ideas of your own, or fillies you would like to see featured, please email me, or leave a comment with your suggestion.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to again tell you that I am always looking for new blog ideas. After the Oaks, I will most likely be featuring a lot more retired racehorse stories throughout the summer, so if you have an interesting one to tell, please send it my way!

Coming up next week, we’ll have a blog featuring Karma Kitaj, who wrote the book “Women Riders Who Could… and Did: Life Stories of Top Level Equestriennes.” One of the featured subjects in this book is female jockey Julie Krone, who is one of my favorites! I’m looking forward to this interview with Karma, so be on the lookout for a story next week.

In the meantime, send me your thoughts for future blogs, either via email at emarr@bloodhorse.com, or by leaving a comment. Thanks readers! I always appreciate and love hearing your opinions and ideas.

Esther

DBH

Julie Krone was an underrated jockey and female athlete !

24 Mar 2011 4:19 PM
MRO

Rags to Riches is a former Oaks winner I'd like to catch up with!

24 Mar 2011 8:56 PM
sherpa

Esther, I'd just like to mention to your readers that Barbara Livingston, in her blog @DRF, has featured a visit to Akindale - and "our own" Hotstufanthensome!  She has some great pictures of him and his new side-kick, Greeley's Legacy, with a very heart-warming story about the latter.

I'll look forward to your Oaks articles & blogs, but also to future stories about retired/retrained horses.  These really raise our consciousness of the plight of retired T-breds; and, hopefully, the rescue farms you feature are reaping benefits from horse-lovers' increased awareness.

thank you!

24 Mar 2011 9:15 PM
John T

Canadian-bred fillies have given us some great champions over the years indeed one of them,Flaming Page give us the last English Triple Crown winner,Nijinsky.This year I am already excited about two Candaian fillies and the racing

season hasn,t even started up here in Canada yet,Joyful Victory who won the Honeybee at Oaklawn in convincing fashion and Inglorious

who will race this Saturday in the

Fair Ground Oaks.

24 Mar 2011 11:25 PM
Dawn in MN

It is always nice to read some good news, some happy endings.  My favorite books are My Racing Heart by Nan Mooney, Blood Horses: Notes of a Sportswriter's Son by John Jeremiah Sullivan, Sham: In the Shadow of a Superhorse by Mary Walsh, Bill Nack's multi-titled book on Secretariat, and The Horse that God Built by Lawrence Scanlon.  I think that variations on those writer's ideas would lend themselves to good columns.  Other ideas...follow a young horse through training to the track, follow an injured horse through rehab, follow a low level claimer, follow a gelding or a non-breeding mare as they transition to retire from racing, follow a groom, a track pony and their rider, a stable manager, a janitor, interview the backside workers, a security guard, maybe something on a trainer...not the big names, but the ones nobody ever heard of, the good ones...o.k. that's it...

I like your writing Esther Marr.  You were kind enough to send me the address for Double L Stables last year, so I could send the horses a valentine, and a kindness is never forgotten.  I am looking forward to more of your work.

25 Mar 2011 5:53 AM
Criminal Type

I heard they are making a movie based on Julie's career..She's a little spit fire. My bet for the Oaks....Kathmanblu. Derby, Dialed In  & Sway Away from the back of the pack after The Factor burns out Uncle Mo.

25 Mar 2011 7:04 AM
Truth

Esther,  I love your column!!  Thanks for taking the time to talk about exracers and their new lives.  I have THREE and they all seem to be enjoying their lives off the track.  Will there be any female jockeys in the the TC or Ky Oaks?  THAT would be a NICE story to tell.  BTW, when I was 'younger' there used to be a filly triple crown (wasn't Ruffian one who won all three?), but there's not talk of that any more.  Doesn't it exist?

25 Mar 2011 1:27 PM