Funds Still Needed to Bring Noor to Old Friends

In my last blog post, I mentioned that sufficent funds had been raised for the body of Hall of Famer Noor to be transferred to Old Friends. It has been brought to my attention by an official involved in the process that this is not the case, however. Noor's body will be moved at the end of August only if funds are available to do so. In other words, Noor needs your help! (see Steve Haskin’s previous article about this horse).

As of July 13, $3,300 still needs to be rasied in order to bring Noor to Kentucky. If possible, the horse will be exhumed from his previous burial ground at the Loma Rica training track in California due to the land being developed and sent to Old Friends by the end August, before the rainy season starts.

Anyone wishing to contribute to Noor’s disinterment and move can send their donations via check, money order, or PayPal to Old Friends, 1841 Paynes Depot Rd., Georgetown, Ky., 40324 or contact their website (http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/). Please write the name Noor to specify for what your donation is intended.

Michael Blowen of Old Friends and Noor thank you for your support!

Debeleb54

Thanks for the update. I hope people will continue to donate so that Noor can receive a resting place where his fans and friends can visit him.

13 Jul 2011 5:30 PM
Trina N

Thanks so much for this correction, Esther. All of Noor's fans really appreciate your support and assistance in raising funds for his transfer to his final resting place at Old Friends before the bulldozers get his remains.

13 Jul 2011 8:49 PM
mz

OK, I made my donation.

Thanks for the Noor walks down memory lane.  When I first started following horse racing, Nasrullah was still relatively recent as a sire and they mentioned his best sons, they always brought up Noor because of his duels with Citation.

As a completely unrelated note: does anyone know where Native Diver is buried?  In my beginning days, he was still burning up the California tracks.

14 Jul 2011 11:25 AM
Brad_ATX

Donation made...Keep them coming

14 Jul 2011 1:31 PM
longtimeracingfan

I just sent another donation.

Charlotte Farmer, if you read this, we are in the same town--- is there anything I can do to help you? My office # is 221-3569

14 Jul 2011 3:41 PM
Lou in TX

I sent a donation last week. Will keep up with this story to see if I need to donate again. Noor needs all our help.

14 Jul 2011 6:29 PM
Charlotte Farmer

Thank you again Esther for writing this up for Noor.

MX - Native Diver is buried at Hollywood Park.  Just put into search engine – “location of Native Diver's grave.”  It should give you a picture.  Yes, I too was a great fan of The Diver and cried the day he died.  You are right when you say, "he burned up the track."  People nowadays have no idea the speed he had and to watch him run gave one goose bumps.  I still have my scrapbook on him along with that of Kelso and Carry Back.  Yes, The Diver was one of California's own.

To longtimeracingfan, thank you for the offer, but for now we have everything under control but I will keep your number handy just in case.  I appreciate each and every person who has shown their love for this great horse.  Thank you so much on behalf of Noor.

14 Jul 2011 7:10 PM
Karen in Texas

Thanks for the correction--I'm making another donation.

mz----I believe Native Diver is buried at Hollywood Park. If/when they close after this year, maybe he can be transferred as well...

14 Jul 2011 8:25 PM
A Horsey Canuck

I'll put a small donation in the mail before I leave the US, Esther. If Michael believes enough in this effort to bring Noor's remains to Old Friends, that's good enough for me. p

14 Jul 2011 9:24 PM
Paula Higgins

I will donate every two weeks.

14 Jul 2011 9:32 PM
donkeyhotey

To mz:  Native Diver is buried under the most amazing huge memorial in the Garden Paddock at Hollywood Park!  Twice when I was there I went looking for it and asking people and couldn't find it.  It's because it was 'hiding' in plain sight, literally in the middle of the paddock where the horses walk around after they're saddled up.  It's a long (40'?) low bronze memorial, beautiful.  As I understand it, Native Diver was so beloved for his many amazing feats that when he tragically died of colic at age 8 when sent to San Francisco area to race, his body was shipped back to Hollywood Park on ice and was embalmed at the mortuary across from the Park, a historic first!

15 Jul 2011 12:56 AM
brent

re/ Native Diver's burial place:

from Wikipedia:

Native Diver was still racing at eight years of age; his owners vowed to retire him when he started to slow down. Sadly, just eight days after he won the Del Mar Handicap in 1967, equaling the track record, he fell ill with colic. He was taken to the equine hospital at University of California at Davis, and died there the next day.

Native Diver won 34 stakes races, was the seventh racing millionaire, and was the first California-bred to earn a million dollars. He is buried in the Garden Paddock at Hollywood Park under a monument designed by Millard Sheets.

15 Jul 2011 3:41 AM
grapevine

there's a great website called www.findagrave.com that has info on lots of important people and horse's burial sites. You can look up just anyone or anything and find out where they or it is buried.

16 Jul 2011 9:23 PM
Mike Relva

I made a donation last week. Ms. Farmer thanks for everything you're doing regarding Noor.

19 Jul 2011 8:53 AM
mz

Thx to all re: Native Diver.  Is it possible that he might be the next horse to go "home" to Old Friends?  Let me know when it's time to donate again for him.

Charlotte:  my mouldering scrapbook is full of Northern Dancer but I THINK I might have a picture or two of Native Diver (with the yellow tape all around it).  Will check.

19 Jul 2011 12:24 PM
Giddyup

With all the crazy "win and your in" races created for the BC surely there could be one which is designed to financially aid organizations such as Old Friends. As usual the staff at Bloodhorse have done a great job of stressing to need to support these worthy initiatives.

22 Jul 2011 8:52 AM
blueheron8

I loved Native Diver, watched him run. I have only joined this site so that hopefully someone will contact me when it's time to raise money to move him. Thank you.

11 Nov 2011 12:11 AM