Lotka to Visit Keeneland

Our Mims Haven is a wonderful Paris, Ky.-based Thoroughbred retirement facility that features a stellar group of mares.

This Saturday morning, Oct. 15, the retired multiple graded stakes-winning mare Lotka, an Our Mims resident, will be featured at Keeneland's "Breakfast with the Works." The event begins at 8:45 a.m. in the paddock.

Recent photo of Lotka at Our Mims. Doesn't she look great for 28 years old?! Photo by Cindy Evans

Lotka, a 28-year-old daughter of Danzig is celebrating the 25th anniversary of her win in the Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup. She raced for Count Henryk deKwiatkowsi and was trained by Woody Stephens.

Lotka, who scored the biggest triumph of her career in the 1986 Acorn Stakes (gr. I), won or placed in 15 of her 20 lifetime starts and retired from racing with earnings of $721,804.

Lotka during her racing days. Photo by George Trenich

As a broodmare, Lotka produced 14 foals, most notably Mambo Twist, a multiple group winner in Japan. The son of King Mambo earned more than $2.5 million during his 51-start career.

Jeanne Mirabito, president and farm manager of OMRH, invites the public to come to Keeneland and visit with her and Lotka. OMRH director of fundraising and promotion Cheryl Bellucci will be there as well.

"Lotka doesn't seem to know she is 28 years old,” said Mirabito. “If given a chance, I believe she'd try to win the race again!"

To learn more about Our Mims, read my previous blog entry about the facility and visit the facility’s website.

Lotka, photo by Cindy Evans

Alexandra Boyd

Does she ever look great for 28. She is such a beauty and a good-looking daughter of Danzig.

13 Oct 2011 9:09 PM
MRO

Amazing. She looks fabulous. I would love to be there. She is also the dam of Lotta Dancing, who was one of my favorite Alydar daughters.

13 Oct 2011 9:23 PM
Donut Jimmy

She truly looks marvelous. Congratulations and thanks to Our Mims for having her in such great shape.

14 Oct 2011 12:07 AM
A Horsey Canuck

Welcome back, Esther. I've been watching for your blog and here it is with a wonderful story about Lotka. I'm coming back to KY next October for some of the Keeneland meet. I'll make sure to visit Jeanne at Our Mims. I sure wish I could join Lotka and her guests for breakfast on Saturday. Thanks for highlighting Jeanne and the wonderful care she gives to these grand old "ladies". I look forward to meeting all of them next fall.

14 Oct 2011 7:08 AM
Dawn in MN

Esther,

Thank you for promoting Our Mims and the event featuring Lotka.  This kind of reporting reminds us of life-after-track for Thoroughbred mares.  How did she come to live at Our Mims?  Every broodmare should be so lucky.  Lotka looks great, you're right she looks great for 28!  Love her dappled coat, and pretty face.  She looks like she knows she's a beauty.

14 Oct 2011 9:54 AM
Dawn in MN

I clicked on the "Our Mims" link at the end of this report and it took me to another Esther Marr article that tells the story of how Lotka came to Our Mims.  Hope you don't mind my answering my own question with a quote from that article;

"Our Mims boards several stars on its premises, one of the most eccentric of which is 27-year-old grade I victor Lotka. The mare is also the dam of three stakes winners, including Japanese multi millionaire Mambo Twist.

After Lotka’s owner could no longer support her, Mirabito decided to take the mare in, even though she hardly had any extra room left at Our Mims."

14 Oct 2011 12:49 PM
greengirl

Wow she looks good!!

14 Oct 2011 5:24 PM
Terry M.

She looks wonderful! Someone has been giving her very good care.

14 Oct 2011 9:51 PM
Stellar Jayne

She is lovely and a sweet disposition is evident in her face. Except for the visible hollow above her left eye one would never guess her age.  Hopefully she has many happy retirement years ahead of her.

16 Oct 2011 12:46 AM