Kendall Hansen Reveals Future Plans

Dr. Kendall Hansen has done it again.

The owner/breeder, who is known for pulling such wacky acts as dying his champion colt Hansen’s tail blue prior to the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I), recently revealed some other unusual plans.

Kendall Hansen's future hopes include mating Hansen with the Danzig mare Lady Primrose, who he recently adopted from Omega Horse Rescue. Oh, and he also expressed interest in someday having Hansen perform double duty as a racehorse and breeding stallion. But we'll get to that later.

Shortly before Hansen competed in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), Kendall Hansen saw an advertisement in the back of The Blood-Horse magazine that Lady Primrose was being offered for sale by the Airville, Pa.-based Omega Horse Rescue.

“It was such a coup to get a 7-year-old Danzig mare,” said Hansen. “(Danzig) was pensioned the year before (Lady Primrose) was born, but then he was bred 18 times the year she was born, so she’s one of the last 18 (offspring) by Danzig.”

Hansen talked with Kelly Smith of Omega over the phone several times about Lady Primrose before acquiring the mare. He went above and beyond Omega’s adoption fee by giving a generous donation to the facility.

“When something has a little twist to it like this…for a horse this good to be in a rescue situation, I think it’s kind of cool and something is going to come of this, you know?” said Hansen.

Lady Primrose, who was rescued by Omega from a low-grade horse meat auction with a foal by her side last Mother's Day, is now boarded at Annice Johnston’s Land o’ Goshen Farm near Louisville.

Lady Primrose, relaxing at Land o' Goshen Farm

"We purchased four horses with foals by their sides and she was one of them," said Smith. "We didn't know who she was when we bought her. I just knew I was saving four broodmares and their foals. She was in the poorest condition of the group of them. They were very thin. She was very untrusting of people initially....we had to work through some issues with her and teach her that we're nice and don't want to hurt her. She came along and relaxed and settled in. As a group of horses, (the rescue mares) became a lot nicer to handle and be around. All four of the mares turned out to be nice horses."

Kendall Hansen reported that Lady Primrose has already been checked in foal to Proud Citizen since arriving in Kentucky in early May.

“Since Hansen won’t be ready (to breed) for a year or two or three, I thought it would be nice to breed her with something now and I checked available stallions and she crossed really well with Proud Citizen,” said Kendall Hansen, who keeps four other mares at Land o’ Goshen, including Hansen’s dam, Stormy Sunday. “(Breeding Lady Primrose to Proud Citizen) was a really great decision because it was right before he got hot.”

Hansen noted how Proud Citizen had been represented by several prominent stakes winners this year, including Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Believe You Can, Vinery Racing Spiral (gr. III) winner Went the Day Well, and Peter Pan (gr. II) victor Mark Valeski.

“Proud Citizen is one of the hottest stallions right now and I got him for $10,000 which I feel real good about,” said Hansen. “He had a real, big Triple Crown run that a lot of people forget,” he noted of the stallion’s respective second and third-place finishes in the 2002 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes (gr. I).

Smith wanted to clarify a couple of things regarding Lady Primrose's situation: "We do not generally allow any breeding of our rescued racehorses," she said. "Dr. Hansen is the one exception to the rule. We don't want to be part of the problem...we want to be part of the solution. He has the understanding that if he does not want her, then she comes back to the rescue. This was a decision of our board of directors...being that (his donation) could financially help the rescue and who this horse was, an exception was made."

Lady Primrose

*************************************************************************************

Kendall Hansen said several farms had already expressed interest in standing Hansen at their facilities, including Airdrie Stud, Spendthrift Farm, Coolmore, Lane’s End, and Ramsey Farm.

But the owner/breeder does have one interesting stipulation for the facility that winds up with his champion runner: “I’m going to try and get somebody that’s going to allow me to run him and breed him at the same time,” Hansen said.

He believes his horse has enough energy to cover 130 mares a year while still competing on the track. I guess only time will tell if that’s the case!

I can’t help but admire Kendall Hansen’s unabashed approach to the industry. He may be controversial, but he is drawing attention to our sport. If you remember right, I recently wrote a blog about a horse named Eagle Time that bred and raced simultaneously. Granted, he only covered a couple mares a year, but still…

There have actually been a few other well-known horses over the years to follow the same concept, including multiple grade I winner and United States champion older horse Bertrando.

In a 1993 Los Angeles Times article regarding Bertrando’s situation, it states:

“If Bertrando leaves the breeding shed and makes a comeback as a racehorse, his name will be added to a short list of prominent double-duty Thoroughbreds that includes Boston (a Hall of Famer who raced in the 19th Century), Seabiscuit (horse of the year in 1938) and Carry Back (winner of the 1961 Kentucky Derby). Candy Spots, winner of the Santa Anita Derby in 1963, got 28 mares in foal in 1964 and then added to his stakes total.

“More recently, Silveyville and Variety Road ran successfully after productive stints as stallions. Silveyville retired with $1.2 million and Variety Road earned almost $950,000. Bertrando's sire, Skywalker, won the Breeders' Cup Classic in 1986, became a stallion during the 1987 breeding season, and finished the year with one victory in four starts and earnings of $84,650.”

Bertrando performed double stallion and racehorse duties in 1994 in order to have another chance at winning the Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I). While he finished sixth in that race, he won two other stakes that year, including the Goodwood Handicap (gr. II).

Click here to read the full LA Times article about the reasoning behind the decisions behind Bertrando’s unusual breeding/racing situation.

So tell me, what do you think of Kendall Hansen’s most recent breeding choices?

Ida Lee

I have in the past really come down on Dr. Hansen because of his circus-type public relations escapades. But him buying the beautiful Lady Primrose is so wonderful that I just about forgive him for all his silliness regarding Hansen. I know he's a business man and she's just a broodmare to him but still...she looks wonderful. As to Hansen as stallion and racer, I don't know about that but the good Doctor will do what he wants to do so let's see how it goes. Hansen is a gorgeous and incredibly talented animal and I wish them both good health and continued success.

30 May 2012 3:43 PM
Cassandra.Says

Hmmmm. "Wacky"? How much time did you spend picking that adjective? Any legal advice sought?

We are talking about a man whose horse came back from a race so exhausted it was hanging its head, which he ascribed to "embarrassment." A man who had to be tipped off by a racing secretary that if you made a charitable donation you could deflect criticism of almost anything. A man who announced Hansen would start in the Preakness because he had to win a Triple Crown race to be the three-year-old champion. (Even the most calculating bottom-liner knows enough to mumble something about the "best thing for the horse.")

I'm imagining that some combination of PETA, his trainer, and miscellaneous horselovers threatened to knee cap him if he didn't give the horse a break.

I think these plans are designed to solve the dilemma of passing up millions in stud fees or losing his place in the spotlight.

30 May 2012 4:02 PM
Karen in Texas

Regardless of his prior antics with "colorizing" Hansen, I appreciate Dr. Hansen's purchase of Lady Primrose from Omega, and his decision to reacquire Stormy Sunday. He may have a method to his madness as a breeder, after all, he managed to produce Hansen in only his second try.

30 May 2012 6:14 PM
Jockeygirl

Cool! Can't wait to see Hansen win his next start! Still a loyal fan of him!

30 May 2012 6:56 PM
Dr. Hansen

Cassandra.Says: The ONLY thing you got right in your post was my statement about Hansen appearing embarrassed after the race and even that you took out of context. If you would like to debate or find out what I am really thinking email me at hansen5md@aol.com

30 May 2012 8:55 PM
Lise from Maine

Hi!

Are there any reasons healthwise that would not allow a horse to be both breeder and a race horse at the same time?

If not, then why not?

31 May 2012 9:52 AM
scrabble

First, I am not a fan of blue tails, or any other color.  But, Dr. Hansen surely is colorful and that is fun and exciting.  Thanks Dr. Hansen for your gorgeous colt!  Lots of luck with him.  Braaaah to people who do not like where you spot him.  So what if a horse gets tired?  Lady Primrose is a terrific story.  Best of luck with her.  Hope all worked out well with her foal.  Dr. Hansen is an asset to this sport.  Thanks again!  I look forward to more news coverage in the future of Dr. Hansen's unique points of view!

humanewatch.org

01 Jun 2012 10:29 AM
cigarsmom

You go Dr. Hansen. He's your horse. Have fun with him. Personally, I love watching Hansen run. He's got that wow factor about him that very few tb's do. I thought he could win the Derby and I've been following racing and/or in this industry for 30+ years. He will win a G1 route longer than 1 1/8th miles before his racing career is over.

To those who think racing and breeding can't be done, think again. It can be with a horse who has the correct attitude and quite successfully. It's done all the time with horses of other breeds.

Good luck to both Hansen and Dr Hansen in their future endeavors.

02 Jun 2012 7:18 PM
ksweatman9

I hate hearing that Hansen won't be racing June 9th. Hope he's alright, blood counts bring me back to Uncle Mo's misfortune. I love the white pony, keep him sound and happy, doc. He will prevail again. I believe Lady Primrose is in good hands. See you in the winner's circle soon Hansen, I knew you were too pretty to win the Derby. It's a crap shoot anyway.

05 Jun 2012 12:50 AM
ksweatman9

Dear Cassandra Says, if you are concerned about the welfare of the ponies, throw some criticism towards Lucas and Optimizer's connections. The poor horse showed very little in the first 2 legs of the triple crown, yet they are going to saddle him for the grueling mile and a half. When the hall of famer recently got clipped in the head, I thought Optimizer may have been trying to knock some sense into him. Guess Optimizer wasn't the pony who clobbered Lucas. I'm sure Dr. Hansen cares about his horses, excitement and Derby fever for the first time around can run away with you. I'm sure his disappointment was profound. I thought from the start that the gorgeous colt should've skipped the Derby and targeted the Preakness. It's over, Hansen will rebound, they both will, no need to be so rude and condescending.

07 Jun 2012 3:24 AM
Mike Relva

KSWEATMAN9

Great points and agree with you. Also, the fact Lucas doesn't care about anything besides shoving a tired horse to try to compete in the Belmont.

12 Jun 2012 6:40 PM
an ole railbird

this is not always the case, but hansen (the horse )is the kind of indivual, that will benifet from being bred,while still racing. it will increace his flow of testerone ,naturally. & inturn will give him more grit & staying power. thats the 2 departments that which hansen (the horse). needs the most help. those 2 things over come, hansen may be a great horse.

14 Jun 2012 1:55 PM
Criminal Type

ksweatman, It was Hamazing Destiny who clocked Lucas.

27 Jun 2012 2:03 PM
ksweatman9

Maybe "Hamazing Destiny" clocked Lucas as a favor to Optimizer? As far as Hansen breeding while racing, it's been done so infrequently that no one has seriously weighed the benefits of it. If any owner would be willing to test new waters, it would be the good doctor. I say go for it, who knows? Might just work out great for the gorgeous colt, whom by the way, I really like. Seems Mike Maker could "like" the colt a bit more, he's always getting in some kind of little "put down". Maybe he's just being honest about how he feels, but it sounds bad. He IS the horse's trainer, he should be more supportive. I would've said after the derby, "just wasn't his day, he wasn't on his game". Maker said something like, "he just wasn't good enough." In his recent Iowa Derby win, instead of "wow, he looked good", the comment was "wish they were all this easy". Really? Drop the negativity, the horse don't need it.

04 Jul 2012 5:42 PM
Cassandra.Says

From an article published by Churchill Downs:

"Dr. Hansen said the goal for the horse is to get another Eclipse Award this year.

“It is a tough call,” Hansen said of the Preakness. “We want him to be the 3-year-old champion, but to do that, he has to win one of the classics."

Lord knows, I lend a sympathetic ear to persons claiming they have been misquoted, but on the other hand, so often somebody comes up with a video.

06 Jul 2012 3:24 AM