Stallion Open House iPhoto Essay

I'm going to do something a bit different from the norm with this blog. Since I'm now handling stud news for the magazine, I attended stallion open houses at Darley, WinStar, Castleton Lyons, and Gainesway in November and January to see some of these guys in person that I write about each week.

While I was there, I took a ton of pictures that I would love to share with you all.

If you follow me on Twitter (@BH_EMarr), you may have already seen some of these photos, but if not, enjoy!

Do you have a favorite stallion? Who is it and why? I have always loved Afleet Alex. He was so exciting to watch as a racehorse and has the kindest-looking eyes. It was neat to see him in person...his groom even let me give him a pat. Gainesway officials told me that more than 4,000 fans came to greet Afleet Alex when he first arrived at the farm!

Afleet Alex at Gainesway

I tried to get as many photos as I could, but I wasn't able to get shots of all the stallions at each farm. Also, I apologize the quality isn't the best as they are all iPhone photos. Someday I will get a real camera. Until then, Instagram it is!

Darley

Animal Kingdom, fresh back from down under at Arrowfield Stud

KY Derby winner Street Sense

Street Sense, different angle

Medaglia d'Oro, also recently back from Australia

Any Given Saturday

Elusive Quality

Midshipman

Denman

Pensioners:

Holy Bull--doesn't he look ghostly? He was very sweet and interested in visitors!

Quiet American is still looking good at 28!

WinStar

WinStar's beautiful main office

Tiznow--star of the barn

Paynter--definitely a fan favorite. How could you not love him?

Bodemeister

Colonel John

Bellamy Road

Distorted Humor

Kodiak Kowboy

Pioneerof the Nile

Speightstown

KY Derby winner Super Saver

Take Charge Indy

US Ranger

Gainesway

Gainesway barns--aren't they cool-looking?

Tapit--he clearly knows he's a rockstar.

Tapit again--ready for his date with HOY Havre de Grace!

To Honor and Serve

Hat Trick

Castleton Lyons

Gio Ponti--very personable guy

Another Gio Ponti angle

Gio Ponti's Eclipse Awards for champion grass horse--2009-2011

Justin Phillip

triple crown

Awesome Photos!!! Thanks very much for taking the time to visit all of these farms. Just one thing though. Tapit had a date with Havre de Grace, the HOY. You have spelled the name Harve de Grace, who is a whole other mare, whose sire is Boston Harbour. Not nit-picking, just unclear and need clarification.

19 Feb 2014 6:19 PM
PeterBasinski

Thank you Esther.

19 Feb 2014 9:16 PM
TUPSTER

Hi Esther,

I Absolutely Loved Seeing All These Such Beautiful Stallions From All The Great Horse Farms & Not To Worry, Your Photos Turned Out Just Wonderful!! After I Saw This, I Shared This Link With All My Horse Friends, As I Knew They Would So Enjoy It As Well!!!

I Want You To Know Congrats On Now Doing The Stud News For The Magazine, Plus I Loved This Kind Of Blog From You Too!! So Anytime You Would Like To Share More Photos Go Right Ahead, As I Would Ever So Love To See More!!!!

I Love Reading Your Blogs Esther & Have For A Very Long Time, So I Always Check For It Even Though Alot Of The Time I Don't Write A Comment About It After, I Just Want You To Know I Love Your Blogs!! Plus For Me, They Are Always The Best Ones On Here!!!!

19 Feb 2014 10:07 PM
Gulchfan

is Distorted Humor injured? what's that on his left fore?

20 Feb 2014 3:35 AM
LanceS

Since Harve de Grace is the dam of the fine racehorse and promising stallion Concord Point (by Tapit) maybe he has dates with both!

20 Feb 2014 10:24 AM
Esther Marr

Triple Crown: thanks for the spelling catch on Havre de Grace. It is fixed!

Gulchfan: I'm not sure what's up with Distorted Humor's leg. He seemed to be walking fine...maybe it's a bandage to support a former injury?

20 Feb 2014 10:27 AM
deb

beautiful, beautiful horses....thanks!

20 Feb 2014 11:19 AM
Fran Loszynski

Thank you so much for the lovely pics of Gainesway. I missed seeing Alex these past two years and I have a lovely photo of him grazing by Gainesway, in your photo he looks terrific! and Iotapa just won a dandy race at Santa Anita. Hope to see you in June Alex. Go Alex

20 Feb 2014 1:15 PM
captainsmistress

You got to touch Alex! I'm so jealous! Thanks for the beautiful pictures. Nice to see Quiet American still looking so good.

20 Feb 2014 7:58 PM
spectacular bid

i was also farm hopping in january..froze our asses off since it was -15 a couple days but being from out of state, we had to power thru the cold since we cant just come back when it was warmer. EASILY the coolest stallion in the state is MONARCHOS!! fred,his handler,caregiver and best friend is amazing,Nuckols farm is very friendly and "mo" is pretty much a 1200 pound puppy. never seen a stallion you could love on with no fear of getting bit or kicked..truly a horse worth flying cross country to visit with

21 Feb 2014 1:39 AM
Brown brother

Great iPhone pics. Tiznow looks like a Clydesdale and Quiet American has the eye of. 2 yo.  Amazing

22 Feb 2014 4:23 PM
fb0252

nice job. good to see some real photos of these horses!

23 Feb 2014 1:51 PM
smarie

Thank you so much for these photos. There is nothing wrong with their quality IMO.

These animals are so magnificent! It must have been so exciting to see them all. They have some pretty nice digs to reside in as well.

My favorite stallion was Sunday Silence. He wasn't at all popular with American breeders and was sold to Japan where he sired a racing dynasty as we all know. There was just something about him that drew me in. We all have our own personal favorites for a variety of reasons.

Again, thanks for sharing these great photos. :)

23 Feb 2014 3:34 PM
Fred and Joan

We enjoyed viewing these pictures also. We operate our own small farm here in  Oregon and you can love on all of our farm stallions and they permit you to ride them down the road in front of our farm too! We especially enjoyed seeing these pictures as it gives us an idea as to what other horses look like that are related to our own. Thank you.

26 Feb 2014 1:26 PM
UnionRags123

Animal Kingdom looks so full of himself in that photo...doesn't he?

26 Mar 2014 6:32 AM