With less than two months remaining until the World Championships, I thought it would be a good time to briefly go over some of the division leaders. Obviously, there is much to be decided, and like last year, the synthetic cloud hangs over the status of several horses, most notably in the Classic.
Anyway, here is what I came up with for a few divisions. It's a rough list, so Im sure I left some good horses out. (And I'm sure many of you will let me know about it). Feel free to discuss other divisions I didn't get to. Let the debating begin...
I do not think Sea the Stars, Zenyatta, or Gio Ponti will go in the Classic for one reason or another. There are many others I'm unsure about too, but my top three are probable.
- 1. Einstein - His solid Pacific Classic effort proved he's back.
- 2. Rail Trip - Will be tough in his backyard.
- 3. Mastercraftsman - Might be the Euros top threat.
Under consideration: Macho Again, Quality Road, Bullsbay, and Summer Bird all a notch below right now because of the synthetic question mark. Fame and Glory (Euro), Mine That Bird and Colonel John deserve consideration too.
- 1. Zenyatta: It's hers to lose. Can't see her going against the boys.
- 2. Music Note: She's back in a big way and we know she likes Santa Anita.
- 3. Careless Jewel: Alabama was scary good and we know she can run on synthetics.
Under consideration: Life Is Sweet, Icon Project, Seventh Street, Sara Louise, Stardom Bound
- 1. Gio Ponti: I think this will be the spot. He'll be a handful.
- 2. Conduit: Defending champ is back in top form.
- 3. Midships: It will be interesting to see how he comes back.
Under consideration: Obviously, Sea the Stars if he chooses this spot but I think he'll stay in Europe. Also, Spring House, Presious Passion, and Just as Well. Of course, this list doesn't include other top Euros aiming for the race, but won't know too much until after the Arc.
Filly & Mare Turf
- 1. Forever Together: Champ is locked and loaded again
- 2. Magical Fantasy: Three huge efforts in a row. Best of the West.
- 3. Dar Re Mi: May be best of loaded Euro contingent. Might go to Mile too.
Under consideration: Alnadana (Euro), Dynaforce, Gozzip Girl, Midday (Euro), Flying Cloud (Euro)
- 1. Goldikova: Hard to imagine anyone beating the defending champ right now. I wonder if her presence will discourage others from entering?
- 2. Justenuffhumor: Looks like McLaughlin will shorten up.
- 3. Battle of Hastings: A nose away from three in a row.
Under consideration: Bribon, Mr. Sidney, De Re Mi
- 1. Big Drama: King's Bishop was a throw out because of the wet track. But will he like Pro-Ride?
- 2. Informed: Pacific Classic proved he needs shorter.
- 3. Smooth Air: Whitney was a step back, but he is still formidable.
Under consideration: Charitable Man, Coal Play, Assessment, Mast Track, Bribon
- Zensational: Looks unbeatable on synthetics
- Fabulous Strike: If it was on dirt, he'd be the pick
- Kodiak Kowboy: Had a win on Poly as a juvenile
Under consideration: Capt. Candyman Can, Vineyard Haven, Pyro, Munnings, This Ones For Phil