A Dandy Haskell Weekend

At this point, it really is impossible to predict year-end championships in almost every division. The way things are going in 2011 the Breeders' Cup will settle most of the Eclipse Awards, with the Classic probably deciding Horse of the Year.

In the 3-year-old division, Shackleford and Ruler On Ice have a chance to jump to the top of the standings with a win in the Haskell, but the Travers outcome is just as important and the BC Classic trumps them both. The Jim Dandy is a prestigious race, but it's a grade II and anyone who wins will have to come back with a repeat performance in the Travers to make it stand up.

So I guess what I'm saying is, let's just watch and bet this weekend's races, try to make some money, and let the chips fall where they may.

Haskell

The draw was very important in that Coil drew the rail. Drawing just to the outside were Joe Vann and Pants On Fire, who both have early speed, and so it almost assures that Coil will have to go to the front. Even though Bob Baffert said he showed another dimension in his most recent work, he hasn't shown the ability to sit behind multiple horses in the past. We also know that Shackleford will be right up among the leaders, so the Haskell is shaping up to have a pretty solid pace.

In that case, it might set up for a horse that will sit mid-pack off of that solid pace-someone like Astrology. If you're willing to toss the Iowa Derby, which was a clunker where he had no excuse, Astrology is an interesting proposition. Before that race he had never run a bad one, hitting the board in all eight tries including two wins and third-place showing in the Preakness. He's a very well bred Stonestreet homebred and a spectacular looking horse. He broke his maiden at Saratoga and now switches back to Julien Leparoux. There are things to like about him and I think he has a chance to run a big race here.

I'm not crazy about Coil drawing the rail and having to go wire-to-wire while having to hold off the classy Shackleford, but I think he is talented enough to do it if he has to. The colt is clearly peaking right now and should improve in his first start on dirt. If Martin Garcia can get him to relax (he will race without blinkers) he will be tough. Baffert has won this race in his last four tries and has hit the board in seven of eight. Not bad.

There is no reason to think that Shackleford won't run well. He is the classiest of this bunch, has come out of the Triple Crown in great shape, and draws an enviable post. His recent speed numbers are the best of anyone in here too.

I really don't see Ruler On Ice running back to his Belmont and I think Pants On Fire is notch below the top three. Joe Vann, with Monmouth legend Joe Bravo aboard for Todd Pletcher, would be the longshot I would use the fill out supers.

$5 trifecta box Astrology, Coil, Shackleford

$2 superfecta Astrology, Coil, Shackleford, Joe Vann

Jim Dandy

An interesting mix of speed and closers in here. Moonshine Mullin has some speed on the inside and Will's Wildcat has some early kick, but Dominus should come away with the lead. He's never been around two turns, so this is a new test for him. But he went 1 1/16 miles in the Dwyer without a problem and looks like a speedy horse that can handle distance. I think it's going to take a big run from someone else to catch him.

Stay Thirsty is a tough horse to gauge, as he has never been particularly consistent. Obviously, he ran huge in the Belmont and has two goods starts at Saratoga. He should settle into a nice stalking trip and I would be surprised if he wasn't at least in the mix at the end.

I'm not crazy about a closer like Alternation off the layoff and would rather take a chance with Scotus at a bigger price. He has good tactical speed and two solid works over the track for Ken McPeek, who is a having a career year. He handled stakes company very well in his first try and seems to be improving with every start. He's never been off the board in five starts.

$20 win Dominus

$5 trifecta box Dominus, Stay Thirsty, Scotus

Who do you like?

Weekend

I am going with Pants On Fire in the Haskell, and Alternation in the Dandy. POF won the LA derby off of 1 work after being sick. He came back to run ninth in the Derby and bled badly in the race. He freshened and came back 6 weeks later to win the local prep for the Haskell rather easy. His last work was ideal, the kind of work he put in right before the LA Derby.

Alternation is very well bred. I have been high on this horse all year, and he has had some really bad racing luck early on in the year, and it is his time to shine. Dominus made me some nice money in the Derby trial, and has been improving each race, so he is also one to watch.

Haskell

POF, Shackelford, Coil

Dandy

Alternation, Dominus, Stay Thirsty.

Alan Garcia and Albarado have yet to win at Saratoga, and they are on Scotus and Will's Wildcat. Garcia shocks me since he has a great agent. Robby has been too busy playing golf....

If you want to bet the p3 leading up to the Dandy, Ruthenia looks good and so does a 10-1 Sassy's Dream, and Zagora with Casellano and Chad Brown, is enticing at 6-1 in the Diana. She has been a G1/2 runner up and is due.

Look out for Scorper in the last on Saturday. 6-1 m/l, Rudy Rod is hot right now and will look to steal this from the rail.

29 Jul 2011 11:44 AM
LAZMANNICK

I kind of like Dominus in the Jim Dandy. After the first quarter in the Dwyer, he ran three successive sub 24 quarters and IMO coasted home that last 16th. He’s the only true speed and if he can be rated during the middle quarters should be able to outkick them home. Brilliant Speed for second. He’s cutting back after 10F and 12F efforts, not an easy thing to do. True, he won at 9F earlier this year, but it was in 1.50 and change and not against as tough as he’ll face in here. This race could set him up for a big effort in the Travers. I’m not buying Stay Thirsty’s last, but I am convinced that Alternation is ready to improve. He bounced back nicely in the Peter Pan and managed to get up by a nose over Adios Charlie, the same Adios Charlie that couldn’t put a dent in Dominus. I’m also concerned about his two month layoff. 2-3-7 (I wish that Machen was running in this race).

29 Jul 2011 1:10 PM
LAZMANNICK

Maybe off topic a bit, but has any one heard from JayJay?

29 Jul 2011 1:10 PM
Jason Shandler

Laz: Last I heard Jayjay was seen walking around the paddock at Hollywood Park with a blindfold on and blindly picking numbers out of a hat.

29 Jul 2011 1:15 PM
LAZMANNICK

Shakleford is the one to beat, but I think that he is very vulnerable in this race.  It’s time for Coil to step up and I don’t think that Baffert brought him out here to run second.  Trued this is probably the next step towards a possible BCC, but it is an important step and for one mill, they are going for all the money.  Garcia needs to get him to relax though and stay further off the pace and if he does that I think that Coil will win.   Shackleford for 2nd.  He had a tough TC campaign, but now appears ready to go and the 9F distance and the often speed biased Monmouth track should work to his advantage.  True, he’s cutting back in distance, but this is his best distance. ConceaIed identity continues to approve.  Throw out the Preakness.  Before that he beat the Belmont winner and in his last ran a nice second to Pants on Fire.  I like Pants, but I think Shackleford will take something out of him and how is he going to respond without Rosie.  Coil, Shackleford, Concealed Identity and Pants on Fire.

29 Jul 2011 1:39 PM

Jason

So that's who that guy was.

29 Jul 2011 1:39 PM
GoldenBroom

Hoping Coil to pull off a brilliant win (plus it will muck up the picture even more leaving the door open for Mo's return), Stay Thirsty in the Dandy would give credit to Mo also making a late bid for the 3YO title. No I'm not Draynay in disguise. I just think that horse is gifted and a cut above when healthy.

29 Jul 2011 1:40 PM
Bob from Boston

Shackleford and Stay Thirsty.  Bet with both hands, then take off your shoes and bet with your feet too. Zenyatta is a state champion poly horse.  There Dray.  You don't need to post on this blog now.

29 Jul 2011 1:53 PM
Zarkava

Haskell:  Shackleford, Coil, Astrology

Jim Dandy: Dominus, Alternation, Stay Thirsty

29 Jul 2011 2:35 PM
Fran Loszynski

Good Luck Shackleford you remind me so much of Secretariat. A personal thank you to the owners of Afleet Alex for the wonderful time I had last year at the Haskell as a guest to watch Afleet Again. I will cherish those memories always and will remember Sunday that day at the races. As in a quote from "Secretariat"

You run "your" race Shackleford!

I see a Trifecta of

Shackleford, Astrology, Coil

Good Luck everyone!

29 Jul 2011 2:57 PM
Shackleford

Coil is a 1 dimensional, 1 turn 1 1/16 horse.  I think Baffert is a great trainer and I admire his confidence in this horse, but I think Coil has zero, zilch, nada chance against these.  I see him finishing at the back of the pack.  It'll be Shackleford, Pants On Fire, Astrology, and Ruler On Ice in that order.  Joe Vann is the best 'true' longshot and should go off over 25-1, likely low 30s.  Still, Shackleford is the best horse in the country....He'll prove it once again this Sunday.

29 Jul 2011 4:03 PM
Shackleford

As for the Jim Dandy, I only like the two Derby horses, the others mostly look like sprinters who are attempting to strech out.  Stay Thirsty is never worse than 2nd in any NY race so far, he has more speed and should out finish Brilliant Speed.  I like those two in that order in a straight exacta.

29 Jul 2011 4:05 PM
The Deacon

Pretty weak crop of 3 year olds running in 2 prestigious races. If Shackleford is the best 3 year racing right now then our industry is in big trouble. Let's see, we have a very weak crop of handicap horses, many of our so called top 3 year olds are hurt and this is what we get to see. Maybe Mr. Haskin is correct when he says that maybe the best horses in the land are 3 and 4 year old fillies and mares..............

29 Jul 2011 5:00 PM
Mike Relva

Shackleford is the horse to beat.

29 Jul 2011 5:12 PM
Ranagulzion

In the Haskell Shackleford is the one they'll all have to beat but he probably needs the race and Coil expose his vulnerability. I like JJ's Lucky Train as the one to upset the applecart.

In the Jim Dandy it will be Stay Thirsty at last, ahead of Alternation and the improving Dominus.

In the Fourstardave Sidney's Candy will be out for an afternoon stroll, a walk in the park and perhaps a track record (assuming firm underfoot conditions).

In the Bing Crosby Euroears will wipe the smile of the tiger's face at the wire ...and Bob Baffert will be one cool smilling cat.  Have fun folks.

29 Jul 2011 5:52 PM
Giddyup

Deacon is right about many of the top 3 years olds being sidelined this year and you have to wonder who will end up on the shelf after these 2 races. Unless your going with a deep exotic bet your prospects for a big payoff on either of these races looks slim too. Wake me up when it's time to watch Blind Luck & Havre de Grace battle again.

29 Jul 2011 5:56 PM
Footlick

Ranagulzion- I thought JJ's Lucky Train would be an interesting play also

29 Jul 2011 8:56 PM
Carlos in Cali

Don't be surprised if they place Coil midpack with all of the speed to his outside,sitting on the rail until it's time to go.I'm not sure how he'll like being held back though...

Tri-box= Shackleford/Astrology/Coil/POF. ROI might be legit now..

Jason, Mott saying he's "still trying to learn something" regarding THAS is kind of odd. Does he mean he doesn't know if he's a sprinter/miler or a route horse yet?..

29 Jul 2011 9:27 PM
Paula Higgins

I think Steve Haskins is right and the best ones ARE the fillies and mares. O.K. my picks are amazingly, the same as Bob from Boston's/Ted from LA's: Shackleford and Stay Thirsty. Bob from Boston I laughed out loud at the Zenyatta/Draynay comment. Now I have to make my expected comment and say: Hogwash, Zenyatta is the greatest female horse ever. It is my opinion and it is very true.

29 Jul 2011 10:01 PM
Jason Shandler

Carlos: I think dont think Mott could find the right spot for THAS and is kind of just taking a shot here while at the same time getting him a race. He'll need a race or two.

29 Jul 2011 10:04 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Cute article title Jason.  I can't wait to be at the Haskell.  I'll say Shackleford, Coil, then one of the 3 Jersey homeboys, either ROI, POF, or JJ's Lucky Train.  I've had my eye on JJ's Lucky Train for awhile and he showed consistency and improvement and I would not be surprised at all if it is him who pulls off an upset.  I would like to see either the Belmont winner ROI or the Preakness winner Shack establish consistency with a win, another strange winner leaves us in the same boat with the 3 yr. olds that we're already in.  Coil is going it blinkerless, which is a good thing because it will be easier to distinguish him from ROI, both chestnuts and both usually wear black blinkers.

Coil has to overcome the rail and dirt, shipping, try to surpass the class of Shack, if he can do all that then he's much the best.  I see this as the battle of the chestnuts and the homeboy bays!!!

Alernation and Thirsty in the Dandy.

May they all come home safe.

29 Jul 2011 10:26 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Paula Higgins,

I second that about Zenyatta.  In my lifetime I dreamed of seeing another "Ruffian" because I was too little when Ruffian ran to realize who she was.  I think I've now seen her and then some in Zenyatta.  Greatest female racehorse ever.  Zenyatta has it all, the athletic ablility, the beauty, the intelligence, the awareness.  My wish is the little Bernardini she is now carrying is blessed with these same traits.

29 Jul 2011 10:35 PM
Ranagulzion

Footlick,

My angle on JJ's Lucky Train is simply that he's a genuine improving sort from the AP Indy line (which typically come to hand round about this time of year).  He's been primed for a career's best effort here IMO.

Carlos,

THAS will find Justin Phillips and Travelin Man taking no prisoners in the Amsterdam, nevertheless he should be ready for a capital effort after this "barn burner".  Justin Phillips looks to be a crack sprinter on the rise.

29 Jul 2011 11:38 PM
JJW

Stay Thirsty-Alternation in the Jim Dandy

Pants On Fire-Shackleford in the Haskell

30 Jul 2011 12:42 AM
GunBow

I really like Coil's win in the Affirmed, but he didn't take the next step in the Swaps.  The Cali 3 year old maintrack runners have been dismal this year, and have been spanked when shipping East.  Coil hasn't even met the best Cali 3 year olds yet, and in the Haskell will be meeting horses that are superior to the Cali best.  In addition to the class test, he's going to have to prove he can rate, given all the speed in the race, and prove that he can run on something other than Hollywood Park's Cushion Track.  Lots of negatives.

I'll go with Shackleford.  He's the class standout.  Astrology for 2nd.

30 Jul 2011 1:29 AM
GunBow

Ranagulzion:

I agree that the Bing Crosby could be a "trap" race for Smiling Tiger.  The Triple Bend was supposed to be competitive, so the fact Smiling Tiger won by over 3 with a 112 Beyer has some conceding the Crosby to him.

However, the Crosby field is tougher than the Triple Bend.  not only does he face Amazombie again, he has to deal with gr.1 winner Kinsale King and the brilliant Euroears.

Baffert knows how to beat Smiling Tiger.  He's already done it twice with El Brujo in last year's Pat O'Brien and with Euroears in the Palos Verdes.  In those races, the Baffert horses took the race to Smiling Tiger from the start, gunning out to the lead and never letting him get close.

Smiling Tiger won the Triple Bend after setting an uncontested pace, but he really doesn't have world class early speed.  When he has faced legit gr.1 early speed, he's been forced to have to settle a few lengths of the pace.  Smiling Tiger can still be effective coming off the pace, and has never run a poor race(he had zero racing luck in the Churchill Downs Cap'), but in Euroears he's meeting the type of world class speed horse that has given him problems in the pace.

Kinsale King also has good early speed and should be close to Smiling Tiger as they track Euroears.  I also expect Amazombie to be right on Smiling Tiger's flank utilizing a much more aggressive strategy than employed in the Triple Bend.

The Big Crosby shapes up as the sprint race of the year so far  in California.

30 Jul 2011 1:41 AM
The Deacon

Paula Higgins:  I respect your opinions and all of your blogs are wonderful but I must respectfully disagree. Zenyatta is not in my opinion the greatesy filly or mare who ever ran.

That title goes to the immortal Ruffian. Anyone and I anyone who ever saw her run would agree with me. Zenyatta won many races just barely getting getting yp in time, I do believe she is in the top 3 but not the all time best. At least not in my book. Sorry to disagree. No filly or mare could ever match Ruffian's grace, power, style and heart........just my feelings.......

30 Jul 2011 2:54 AM
Pedigree Ann

What are these negative remarks about cutting back in distance about? Ruler on Ice and Shackleford are 9f horses by nature. They can use their high cruising speed to good effect on this speed-favoring course.

Just saw a horse run third in a race at Newmarket by the name of Buzkashi. Any of you other folks remember the US Buzkashi, who took a swan-dive over the inner rail near the start of the 1972 Santa Anita Handicap? He was the only starter likely to keep front runner Triple Bend company, so the latter was able to set slowish fractions and hold off His Felinity Cougar II by a head, getting 7 lbs. (Yes, a horse with a sprint stakes named after him won at 10f. Forego won at 2 miles, Bold Ruler, Tom Fool, and Ack Ack were champions at 10f.)

30 Jul 2011 10:35 AM
trackjack

Great analysis, Jason, thanks.  Hope all is well with jayjay.  Maybe he's in depression watching what's going on in Congress.

Jim Dandy:

Dominus to dominate and win.  Win bet only.

Haskell:

Coil needs to overcome;

1) first time dirt

2) #1 hole

3) speed to his outside

4) inability to relax

5) 9 furlongs

Has shown exceptional speed and grit but he'll be backing up after engaging this field.

Ruler On Ice looked ready to devour his stablemate POF in their public workout last Sunday.  He's coiled and ready to pounce on this field in the stretch.  I look for him to run huge.

Shackleford is coming off two bullet workouts and is back to a realistic 9F. with the class to back him up.

WPS on Ruler On Ice

Ex Box: Ruler On Ice/Shackleford

Good Luck to all!

30 Jul 2011 11:28 AM
Footlick

Well, I went with Scotus and JJ's Lucky Train

30 Jul 2011 11:39 AM
Footlick

Also Bay to Bay in the Diana and No Explaining in the Matchmaker.

Jason- are you betting your girl in the Matchmaker?

30 Jul 2011 11:45 AM
Draynay

Race 2 coming up at Saratoga.  Watch out for Stealcase he is the REAL DEAL.

30 Jul 2011 1:21 PM
Paula Higgins

The Deacon, thanks for your nice comments about my posts. As for Ruffian being the greatest filly whoever ran, I won't argue with you because you might just be right. She set records that Zenyatta didn't set. It's a fight I wouldn't want to get into because a very good case can be made for her being Number 1 also. In my mind they are tied, in my heart Zenyatta will always be Number 1. To close the way she always did, sets her apart from everyone. Yet Ruffian was pure speed. A tough one but I certainly understand your point. By the way, I really enjoy your posts as well.

30 Jul 2011 3:51 PM
Jason Shandler

Footlick: I think I'll play a few bucks on her. She certainly owes me! I have no idea what the Frenchman is doing with that filly. I'd love to see her go to Pletcher.

30 Jul 2011 4:46 PM
markinsac

Zenyatta is the State Poly Champ.  State poly champ.  Restricted state poly champ.  Zenyatta has beaten NOBODY!  Zenyatta hasn't beaten a single male on the dirt. State poly champ.  Race 2 Saratoga, STEALCASE IS THE REAL DEAL.  Finished 4th beaten 7 lengths at 8-5.  REAL DEAL. STATE POLY CHAMP. STATE POLY CHAMP POLY WANT A CRACKER, POLY WANT A CRACKER! STATE POLY CHAMP, POLY WANT A CRACKER!

30 Jul 2011 5:23 PM
Mike Relva

I don't see Stay Thirsty winning today,going with Brilliant Speed.

30 Jul 2011 5:31 PM
Linda in Texas

Jason, Stay Thirsty won, and has made my week. I quietly wanted him, and others were talking about Dominus. I saw him just before the gates opened, i knew he would win. Jeff Siegel said his win was "breathtaking, terrific and impressive." Stay Thirsty showed up to win. I am so proud of him i am so happy for Stay Thirsty. Never given enough credit as he was overshadowed by Uncle Mo.

Good for the team. Congratulations Mr. Repole, too much happy never hurts anyone!

thru out the race the positions

were:  5 2 1 6   24.??

5 2 1 6

5 2 1 6   47.66

5 2 6 1

5 2 6 1

6 2 1 3  1:35.81

PERFECT RIDE JAVIER CASTELLANO

PERFECT STRIDE STAY THIRSTY

Thank Jason.

30 Jul 2011 6:06 PM
Mike Relva

Stay Thirsty ran a great race,was wrong with doubting him.

30 Jul 2011 7:01 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Wow. Now Uncle Mo can play second fiddle in the Repole Band. We always thought Stay Thirsty had the breeding and some talent, now we know he just needed a little more time than the others, a possible Bernardini trend for the future.

30 Jul 2011 7:20 PM
Draynay

After watching the track all day today I have to say Coil and Shackleford have real problems.  The speed will not hold and the track seems a little tiring.  Pants on Fire will get the dream trip and won easily on this track last time out.  Pants on fire for the win.

30 Jul 2011 7:35 PM
JJW

Stay Thirsty rules. He's way better than Uncle Mo. He's going to win the Travers.

30 Jul 2011 9:16 PM
Paula Higgins

Very happy about Stay Thirsty for Mike Repole. A very nice horse and owner. markinsac, judging by your post above, you must be a parrot. Parrots tend to repeat the same thing over and over again, without ever understanding why. The "poly want a cracker comment" was the clincher. You are such a wit.

30 Jul 2011 9:40 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

These pretzels are making me thirsty !!!!!

30 Jul 2011 10:57 PM
trackjack

Stay Thirsty looked very professional and as Dr. D said he's needed time to mature.

Good calls to Golden Broom, Bob from Boston, Ranagulzion and Paula Higgins.

For what it's worth, my list of best racemares I've witnessed are:

Ruffian

Rachel Alexandra

Lady's Secret

Zenyatta

30 Jul 2011 11:51 PM
trackjack

Correction on that post, I meant to say the best filly or mare I've seen race.  It's getting late.  Good Luck to everyone with the Haskell card

30 Jul 2011 11:58 PM
The Deacon

markinsac, classless post about Zenyatta. Very distasteful and meaningless. It is people like you who give our sport a bad name. What could ever prompt a human being to make ridiculous comments like that.  Paula Higgins is right you sound like a Parrot but I wouldn't insult a Parrot by comparing the two of you.

31 Jul 2011 2:52 AM
JerseyBoy

The evidence that Stay Thirsty was a highly talented horse has always been there.

As a 2yo he ran the following figures (Speed Fig+Track Variant):

92+15=107

85+17=102

87+20=107

As a 3yo, in the Gotham, he ran:

90+18=108

He is better than he showed yesterday. Only To Honor And Serve has matching numbers on East Coast tracks.

31 Jul 2011 6:56 AM
Guiness

Jason,   I want to send my best congrats to Mike Repole on Stay Thirsty's win yesterday in the Jim Dandy,  ST deserves all the accolades and Mike Repole deserves to have such a great horse in his barn too.   Uncle Mo is great but so is ST.   Congrats to you Mike Repole.

Stay Thirsty can strut around the barn today saying  "I da man, Mo ain't da only man".

Now, Lets get ready for the Haskel.

31 Jul 2011 7:56 AM
Dee

$5 Pants On Fire (hope he gets some well deserved respect!), Astrology (hoping his last is a throw out), Shackleford trifecta box, $5 POF, Coil, Shack tri box, $5 POF, Astrology, Shack tri box, $2 POF, Astrology, Coil tri box, $2 super box POF, Astrology, Coil, Shack

31 Jul 2011 11:57 AM
Dr Drunkinbum

jayjay

What do you think about Stay Thirsty's chances in the Travers?

31 Jul 2011 12:53 PM
Tiznowbaby

Was just on a European website to read up on Goldi's fourth straight win in the Prix Rothschild. That made it  her 14th -- yeah 14 -- Group I win.

And one of the bloggers was criticizing her. They questioned who had she beaten, and that it mostly was a bunch of French mares.

Unbelievable.

31 Jul 2011 1:08 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Uncle Mo is a nice horse but he's no Stay Thirsty.

31 Jul 2011 1:59 PM
Linda in Texas

Agree with Trackjack, cannot just single out 1 or 2 fillies or mares as supremely special. Ruffian took a huge chunk of my heart when she left us and what was left has had to work overtime. But his list is so right. With room left over for the likes of Goldikova across the pond. She deserves The Cartier.

Was wondering if anyone has heard about Giant Surprise and what is the prognosis on his "serious ankle injury" as Mike Repole mentioned in Jason's article about his winning yesterday with Stay Thirsty? Talk about ups and downs all in 1 day. Hard on the ticker for sure. I noticed he was obviously favoring his leg, watched the video over and over to see if i could pick up where he might have faltered, but i do not have that keen of an eye.

Stay Thirsty would be considered a 'late bloomer' if we were all living back in the 50's. But when he did bloom, he did it well. I am still so happy for him. Just hope he doesn't boast too much in front of Mo to give Uncle a complex.

Did you know that Stay Thirsty's eighth dam was a full sister to Man O' War? And of course, he is related to Seattle Slew, just wanted to mention that, try to say his name every chance i get so people never forget him.

Good luck to the bettors on today's Haskell. I imagine it won't be cake walk, either.

31 Jul 2011 2:35 PM
Footlick

I thought markinsac was being facetious, parroting Dray.  Maybe I was wrong since some people took offense to it.

31 Jul 2011 3:31 PM
Footlick

Tiznowbaby- Goldikova is a wonderful mare.  There have been others in Europe who are ranked better, though.  I have pointed out before how it has taken her longer to achieve the same ratings as others have and it took her  year longer of racing to surpass Miesque's gr 1 total.  If people feel that make her a better horse, then that is fine.  I'm only saying this because I have pointed out before that Allez France, Dahlia, Zarkava, and Miesque all had superior figures and records earlier in their racing years.  She is a wonderful mare, but it is just a matter of opinion if she is the greatest European filly/mare of all time.

31 Jul 2011 3:37 PM
Footlick

Jason- you would think that something needs to change with her.  She has shown promise an then fizzles.

31 Jul 2011 3:38 PM
thomas

some fast times at monmouth. i think shackleford could easily win but i'm just going to take a shot and go with concealed identity. i like that cecarlo is still on him plus i think there will be  a fast pace that will set him up good. i don't like the fact that coil got the rail and i don't like that elvis is on pants on fire instead of rosie. if she was riding him i would pick him but the form says its elvis.

stay thirsty looked nice yesterday he obv loves saratoga. clear cut favorite for the travers.

31 Jul 2011 3:50 PM

MARKINSAC

So she didn't beat LAT,QR,etc? She blew by them like they were standing still from twenty out! DEACON is correct,insects like yourself give racing a bad name. Why don't you ask some of the known and high profile people in the game what they think of her? Stupid!

31 Jul 2011 4:00 PM
markinsac

POLY WANT A CRACKER.  COIL AND SHACKLEFORD HAVE REAL PROBLEMS!  COIL NEVER RACED ON DIRT!  POLY STATE CHAMP!  POLLY WANTS A CRACKER.  POLY HORSES FROM CALIFORNIA NEVER WIN ON DIRT! POLY WANTS A CRACKER! POLY STATE CHAMP.  COIL AND SHACKLEFORD ARE IN REAL TROUBLE.  DON'T BOX THAT EXACTA!  COIL IS A POLY STATE CHAMP!  POLY WANTS A CRACKER!

31 Jul 2011 5:53 PM
thomas

i think coil is the 3yr champion. he showed it today.

31 Jul 2011 5:57 PM
Tiznowbaby

Footlick, I have not and would not make the claim she's best ever. But, I find it astounding that someone else would make the claim she's not that good. She's raced at the highest level and done beautifully. She is a treasure.

31 Jul 2011 6:01 PM
merlinmerry

If anyone would take the time to actually READ markinsac's post, he is dising DRAYNAY - take a look at Draynay's post, 3 above markinsac's.

"Race 2 coming up at Saratoga.  Watch out for Stealcase he is the REAL DEAL - Draynay."

markinsac responds with, " Race 2 Saratoga, STEALCASE IS THE REAL DEAL.  Finished 4th beaten 7 lengths at 8-5.  REAL DEAL. STATE POLY CHAMP. STATE POLY CHAMP POLY WANT A CRACKER, POLY WANT A CRACKER!"

markinsac is simply expressing his belief that Draynay = birdbrain.

Altho' I believe that, yes, Zenyatta IS the best distaffer to  come down the pike, the Zenyatta police have made it impossible for me to make any comments lest I inadverently write something that could be taken negatively.  Zenyatta deserves all her accolades.  Some of her fans, not so much.

31 Jul 2011 6:05 PM
datflippinrabbit

I was high on Pants on Fire in the derby but he bled,i'll give him another chance on his home track.Unusual how fast he has recovered from his bleeding issues,you don't see that very often,the only downside is Draynay likes him too.

31 Jul 2011 6:13 PM
Paula Higgins

Footlick, if marcinsac is being facetious, I'm sorry. If he isn't, Mike Relva said it well. O.k. on another note, great Haskell. Shackleford ran a very good race. Nothing to be ashamed of in this one getting beat by a head by Coil. Congrats to those who picked Coil. I don't agree good Dr Drunkinbum that Uncle Mo is inferior to Stay Thirsty. Thirsty is peaking and a wondeful horse, but Mo was special when he was healthy. Let's see how he does down the road. He may not regain his earlier 2 year old form, but it remains to be seen.

31 Jul 2011 6:30 PM
Karen in Texas

Footlick---I thought markinsac was being patronizing to Dray as well. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's actually being said. That post was essentially nonsensical anyway...

31 Jul 2011 6:45 PM
Zarkava

Footlick: You´re right, Marcinsac IS parroting Dray, it seems like some of the Zealots didn´t bother to read the whole post and put two and two together...

31 Jul 2011 7:39 PM
calico cat

Markinsac was making fun of Draynay and pointing out what a parrot he is. Come on you guys, where's your sense of humor? He wasn't bashing Zenyatta, he was showing how ridiculous Dray's rants are.

What an incredible race the Haskell turned out to be! Coil coming from behind surprised the heck out of me. Shackleford fought valiantly but could not prevail over a very inexperienced colt. Oh hum!!! another poly-specialist from California. (sarcasm, in case you don't get it!) :)

Very happy for Stay Thirsty winning the Dandy yesterday. He finally gets some of the limelight.

31 Jul 2011 7:42 PM
Smoking Baby

I'll admit I really wasn't sold on Coil before today but you've got to like that win.  Now he boasts graded wins on both coasts and on two different surfaces.  Shackleford and Ruler On Ice both ran big as well.  I think Stay Thirsty's win yesterday was at least nearly as good as these three and was over the same track the Travers will be run on.  Right now I'm leaning toward a Stay Thirsty, Ruler On Ice Travers exacta but I'm sure I'll change my mind a dozen or so times in the next four weeks.  Great weekend of racing.  It was also nice to see Sidney's Candy run well in the east albeit on the grass.  And Goldikova?...I keep trying not to like her but she keeps winning me over.

31 Jul 2011 7:51 PM

DRAYNAY

Don't you hate it when a CA horse wins? Go and lick your wounds,come back with your usual lame excuses that Coil wasn't impressive,didn't beat much,etc. lmao

31 Jul 2011 8:21 PM

Draynay 30 Jul 2011 7:35 PM

LAZMANNICK 29 Jul 2011 1:39 PM

Once again Lazman out intelligences Draynay.  RLMAO

31 Jul 2011 8:57 PM

markinsac

Steelcase is a real deal just like you.  He finished forth.  Sounds like you need a CRACK-----ER.

31 Jul 2011 9:13 PM
Jason Shandler

It's not how I expected the race to unfold, but I knew Coil was a beast. He was forced to rate today and it may have been a blessing in disguise. The way he ran Shackleford down after the poor break and going five-wide was special. Look for him to win the Travers too.

31 Jul 2011 9:26 PM
Linda in Texas

Well, my eyes are totally shot. Been watching racing since Wednesday for the most part.

Love it when the claimers win, albeit a $75,000 claimer at that.

6 years old and probably was meant for the broodmare barn. I love it and her sire is Malibu Moon.

Ask  The Moon, Wire to Wire,Good girl!

And Javier Castellano, you did it again! Congratulations on a great meet and it has only just begun.

Writingonthewall won for Mike Repole at Saratoga, Race 10. The barn is rocking. Velazquez aboard.

Fun week end of racing for sure.

Not bad for a humble guy from Brooklyn winning well in his home state. Not too shabby Mr. Repole, not too shabby at all.

And congratulations to all the horses, owners, winners and participants.

31 Jul 2011 10:12 PM
Paula Higgins

merlinmerry, nice of you to compliment Zenyatta and decipher mackinsac's posts for us (you must have had to use the latest Fujitsu K Supercomputer to do it). The comment about Zenyatta's fans was unnecessary though. This is an old war that has already been played out. There is no need to revisit this, ad infinitum. Let's move on, even if Draynay can't. On another note, Goldikova showed her class once again. Can't wait to see her again at the Breeders Cup. She is such a gift to horse racing.

31 Jul 2011 10:14 PM

JASON

Why don't we see how he comes out of it before declaring him a winner in the Travers. Kinda like months ago when Misremembered was a "lock" to win the Classic. Don't think it was JayJay proclaiming that.

31 Jul 2011 11:38 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Paula Higgins

I never said that Uncle Mo is inferior to Stay Thirsty. It was somewhat of a payback line for all of the times that even Repole and Pletcher among others said that Stay Thirsty is a nice horse but they realize he is no Uncle Mo. They both are great but alas in different time periods at different ages at this point. With many horses- people don't take into account the different maturing processes and should often use the "so far" label when comparing young horses. I think Bernardini offspring will often mature later just as AP Indy's have often done. Point Given offspring are the same way and often don't mature and start winning until age 4 or 5. I realize how great Uncle Mo was at two and am hoping he can regain his greatness and also fully recover from his illness. He is a tremendous talent but I am very happy that Stay Thirsty is maturing and doing well and realizing some of the potential that many of us thought he had very early on. We loved his pedigree. I expect both Stay Thirsty and Coil to continue improving and to be a force at the Classic distance. As for Mo I hope he runs in the BC dirt mile, just as I had hoped QR would have been pointed to the BC Dirt Mile. It seems to me that we have learned enough lessons so that more horses can run in sprints and miles rather than the Classic when they don't belong in the Classic. I'd rather win another BC race than get nothing in the Classic. I'm not saying for sure that Mo can't win at 10f because I haven't seen enough of him, but this year I think the mile could work for him. QR was clearly showing that he wanted no part of 10f and we missed out on seeing potentially one of the greatest milers of all time. Be prepared to see some very special races with The King's Bishop, the Travers, the Ballerina and others at the Spa August 27th.

01 Aug 2011 12:02 AM
GunBow

Pleasantly wrong about Coil.  Baffert was probably right that on dirt Coil would have won the Swaps because he would have opened up and never been caught.  I thought they would bring Coil off the pace in the Haskell, but didn't envision him rallying from last.

Shackleford ran very well.  He always appears to be in deep water but he just keeps finding more.  He's two necks from having won the Preakness, Haskell, and Florida Derby for a clear lead in the division.

The Big Crosby went as I expected. Baffert's Euroears took it to Smiling Tiger early and was never caught.  Euroears is now 2 for 2 against Smiling Tiger and must be considered the West's best 6 furlong sprinter.  Smiling Tiger tried valiantly after the poor break, but a horse can't be a consistently elite sprinter if it misses the break every third race.

Sidney's Candy won the 6th graded stakes of his career and certainly found the Fourstardave easier company than the American Cap.

But 6 graded stakes is nothing compared to Goldi's 14 group 1 wins.  A true Great.

The Ruffian had to be one of the worst grade 1 races of the year.  Sorry, but there have been some subpar gr.1 races in New York and Florida this year.  The Gulfstream Tuf Cap, Mother Goose, Ogden Phipps, Prioress, and now the Ruffian.

01 Aug 2011 12:09 AM
Jason Shandler

Mike: I wrote about Coil winning the Haskell in June. So now I'm writing about him winning the Travers, if healthy of course. Misremembered was injured and retired. For someone that proclaims himself a horse lover, you knock injured horses more than anyone on here. Disturbing.

You wouldnt know talent if it knocked you over. Jayjay is even more clueless. The only thing you come on here to do is knock people for giving strong opinions. You have nothing original to say.

01 Aug 2011 12:32 AM
GunBow

How lucky have we North Americans been to see the likes of Goldi and Midday the last 2 Breeders Cups.  Goldi won the Prix Rothschild for the 4th consecutive times for her 14th overall group 1 win while earlier this week Midday won the Nassau Stakes for the 3rd straight time for her 6th gr.1.

01 Aug 2011 12:32 AM
GunBow

Jason:

I should have never lost faith in Coil.  The poor showings by Midnight Interlude, Comma to the Top, Mr. Commons, and Silver Medallion back East added extra doubt.

And he looks so similar to Point Given, just a little more slight of build.

01 Aug 2011 12:35 AM
Jason Shandler

Gunbow: As you know, I've been a big Coil fan all year and have thought since June that he was the most talented 3YO. Its nice seeing Point Given have a big horse. At the very least, the Travers should be an interesting race if all the major players come away healthy from this weekend.

The more I watch racing the more I realize that Pletcher and Baffert own this sport. Everyone else is just living in their world.

01 Aug 2011 12:38 AM
merlinmerry

Paula Higgins - no, I don't have a super computer. I just like to actually READ the posts before I start name calling.  If you check mackinsac's post of 31 July at 5:53PM, he again does the parrot thing to show his disdain for Draynay, not the horse.

01 Aug 2011 1:58 AM
JerseyBoy

This is how Stay Thirsty compares  to other horses running 9 furlongs at Saratoga over the weekend:

Friday, Turbo Compressor, 1:51.12

Sunday, Ask the Moon, 1:50.46

Saturday, Malibu Glow, 1:50:18

Saturday, Stay Thirsty, 1:48.78

Stay Thirsty won by 4 lengths.

I maintain he is better than he showed. If he gets a dry track for the Travers, the race should be no contest.

01 Aug 2011 7:06 AM
Pedigree Ann

Since the margin of victory in the Haskell was a neck, should we be considering the fact that Coil was getting 4 lbs from Shackleford? The Haskell used to be a handicap (like so many other important races), now is an allowance stake and Coil got weight off because he hadn't won a G1. If 2 lbs is being

argued about making a difference at Delaware.....,

I notice in the chart that both Coil and Shack had trouble at the start. Odd, that. Pants on Fire needs recovery time, without training, at a farm somewhere. Horses who bleed visibly need time to heal, not a bigger dose of Lasix.

And can we now accept that Astrology isn't going to be a force among the top 3yos around two turns? He got lucky in the Preakness, but his early-maturing, speed-oriented damside is showing more and more.

01 Aug 2011 8:26 AM
Pedigree Ann

Tiznowbaby (and I loved Tiznow);

Goldikova is getting criticism because she ducked out on the race she belonged in, last Wednesday's Sussex S (G1) at Goodwood, wherein she would have met the top older miler Canford Cliffs and the top 3yo miler Frankel. None of the admittedly nice mares she ran against were in her class at a mile.

01 Aug 2011 8:48 AM
GoldenBroom

Again, I think Shackelford is a nice, beautiful to look at and consistent horse, he's just not the superhorse Roman's thinks he is. Keeps running him on the front and he gets a tad tired, just enough to get caught at what was supposed to be "his distance". Way to go Baffert, always willing to be versatile, change and listen to the jock. This leaves the door open for a number of horses to still grab the 3YO title but I think Thirsty is coming into his own, Coil and even Mo have the best shot now. Too bad AK got hurt, he would have owned this group. Not likely to see Shack come back and take the Travers or BCC at a mile and a quarter. What happened to Bind, where and what is he up to?

01 Aug 2011 9:33 AM
Weekend

So To Honor and Serve is back today in the Amsterdam, but Mott always brings em back a little slow. I will try to beat Justin Phillip and THAS with Wine Police. 8-1 is juicy for this late developing 3yo. Just think about what Coil did yesterday. Wine Police is going to do it today. Watch out in the last for Rudy Rod again. It worked out for me on Saturday. He is in for another 20k tag, and he always is competitive at this level.

Can anyone stop Castellano. After starting out slow, he is going on a rampage. Between him and Pletcher, who won 7 times over the weekend, they are just running away with the meet right now.

Jason, you are right. Pletcher and Baffert are dominant right now, but these folks want to call Pletcher overrated. Laughable. Still think it is quite comical that Repole named a horse Overrated Toad. I think Todd and Repole won 3 or 4 over the weekend together. Enjoy your day. There are some good races today at the SPA!

01 Aug 2011 9:47 AM
Smoking Baby

Pedigree Ann...Good points as always.  I like your posts.  They are always insightful and you are always nice about whatever you have to say.  I noticed in the Haskell telecast that Jerry Bailiey said Astrology was a closing third in the Preakness.  How is being head and head for the lead turning for home, then getting beat by open lengths closing?  I'm not saying he didn't run big because he certainly did but closing?  No.  He sure is a big grand looking thing though. I just think it's time to maybe lower the bar for him a little.

01 Aug 2011 10:26 AM
Criminal Type

Jason, Thanks for the heads up on COIL. Because of your faith in him I had the Shack/Coil exacta, YAY ME !

01 Aug 2011 11:24 AM
GoldenBroom

Jersey Boy, thanks for the comparisons! Did anyone notice in the Haskell replay that Shack had his ears back, looking aggressive while cranking out 1:10 for 6f ...I thought Coil was the hot head, yet he seemed to hesitate when passing him in the stretch, almost like "who? me take the lead?". If he's able to rate and wasn't running all out, 4 lbs won't mean much when running at level weight. It will also help keep him sound if he only goes fast enough to win. Still, Thirsty should make him extend...I don't think there are any free rides the rest of the way to the classic...can't wait til the end of the month!

01 Aug 2011 11:37 AM
calico cat

Since jayjay has been absent from this blog, for quite a while now, it might be better to save unkind remarks for when he comes back (if ever) and can defend himself. Just a thought...

Dr D., you speak far too wisely! :)

01 Aug 2011 11:50 AM
Fran Loszynski

Shackleford you ran a champion's race. Mr. Romans you have a "Secretariat" in your midst. I watched as Shackleford lowered his right eye as he caught a glimpse of Coil, almost as if to say "Oh No!" I felt his heart lose a beat. Afleet Alex is my favorite racehorse and always will be, but Shackleford would be a wonderful stablemate. No one has ever said, "like Secretariat" but I will. Shackleford "you remind me of Secretariat" He will  win the Breeder's Cup, he is determined now not to let anyone pass him ever again. You have to run him Mr. Romans in the Breeder's Cup or Travers.

01 Aug 2011 11:52 AM

JASON

Why don't you try getting on a plane and flying west as I did in Apr. to visit a rescue/rehab clinic and donate? Oh that's right,what was I thinking?

As for your comment about injured horses,illustrate where I've slammed them? Just cause I didn't agree with your pal Dray proclaiming in Jan. Mo was better than Secretariat and would win the Triple?  As for lack of knowing talent,you obviously don't with,among others your lame comment the mare got "dusted". Bushleague. With your agenda,it's always "your way or the highway".

01 Aug 2011 12:00 PM
LAZMANNICK

Good point about the weight difference being 4 lbs. in Coil’s favor.  However, one of the things to look at is experience, an area where Shackleford has a decided advantage being through the TC wars plus the prep races leading up to it.

The other thing is the fractional time.  Last year Lookin at Lucky closed his final 3/8ths in 37.22 compared to Coil’s 36.57 (.65 or 3 ½ lengths faster than Lucky).  However, Lucky’s final 8th was 12.56, to Coil’s 12.66 (.10 or a half length faster than Coil).  This supports Baffert’s explanation that once Coil made the lead he started to pull up.  This is further supported by the fact that Coil closed that final 3/8ths almost a full second faster than Shack, who fought gallantly to the end but was no match and won’t be if they go another 8th like the Travers, JCGC or the BCC.

01 Aug 2011 12:35 PM
Aaron McC

Golden Broom - good points about Shack getting caught.  Wonder if it was Castenon's ride in the Preakness (quick 1st quarter to string out the field, slow half mile to save energy) that got the job done.  Quicker fractions at Monmouth and a track that didn't seem to like speed tired him out.  I hope they dont run him in 10 furlong races.  As the good Dr. D. said above of Mo and Quality Road, best not to be tempted, and to showcase your horse at their best distance (though I dont know that Mos distance has exactly been defined yet).

In any case, there's something to be learned from Frankel.  Sir Cecil knows its a stretch to go 12 f. with the horse, but he's a monster at 8.  Sure he may not win the Arc, but he's not thought less of for all that - he's defining his own class in relation to past great milers.

With American horses racing fewer races and only a year or two, it seems there's this pressure to define a horse's class - to try to be the next great horse that can carry speed over distance.  And I think the racing culture from fans to owners supports that - we speak of sprinters and milers as if theyre lesser than classic horses.

There's certainly reason to lament the decline of great distance horses, but lets celebrate some of the sick fast horses we've got now: Euroears, Smiling Tiger, The Factor, etc. And maybe some of them can even get 8 panels ...

01 Aug 2011 1:02 PM
mz

So here I am on holidays in Tuscany....going from wifi to wifi looking to check in on what's happening with the Horsies and I find two things bumming me out:

1 .  Last I hear before I left was that Goldikova was going in the Sussex and I was really,really, really looking forward to watching her against Frankel and Canford Cliffs again.  Then when I get on....she's not in that race.  Whattheheck!?!?   What was the given excuse for switching to the Rothschild?

2.  Having finally decided to give Mr. jobs some of my money instead of Mr. Gates, when I try to see the Haskell by my usual means, it won't play bc it doesn't use Flash.  I'm gonna haft YouTube everything!!!

Oh well.  Not having figured out the volume thingy, I gave everyone at breakfast this morning the very loud French call of Goldikova's race.  Maybe they've been educated and will check it out themselves.

On the other hand, it seems most of them are German.  Where are all you Americans?  Euro got your dollar?

I still like Shackleford bc I like the ones who show up and gut it out, but i'm looking forward to the Alabama (sigh....maybe on YouTube)

01 Aug 2011 1:47 PM
Weekend

Weekend Beyer Speed Figures

Coil-96

Stay Thirsty-106

Thoughts?

01 Aug 2011 2:57 PM
Tiznowbaby

Pedigree Ann,

the blog post I cited specificially said Goldi had beaten no one in her career except a bunch of French mares. It didn't even mention the Sussex. That's just silly criticism for a six year old mare who has won 14 Group Ones and three Breeders Cups.

01 Aug 2011 3:11 PM
Stevebiscuit

A few of my Eclipse Award predictions:

Champion 3 year old colt: Coil

Champion 3 year old filly: Plum Pretty

Champion Sprinter: Smiling Tiger

Champion Turf Male: Acclamation

Champion Older Male: Twirling Candy/Game On Dude

Champion Older Female: Blind Luck

Horse of the Year: Blind Luck

Top Trainer: Bob Baffert

Nobody be surprised when California takes the cake again. Brace yourself Draynay!

01 Aug 2011 3:41 PM
Jason Shandler

Mike: I didnt know the only rehab farms are in California. Are you that misguided? I live in the horse capital of the world. I've been to my fair share of clinics/farms/charity events. A few more than you I would venture to guess.

You posts are tired and boring Mike. Get a new act.

01 Aug 2011 3:53 PM
Jason Shandler

Billy: Coil will beat Stay Thirsty. Those NY Beyers are always inflated.

01 Aug 2011 3:53 PM
Weekend

I hope we get to see them both run in the Travers. It would make for a great race. Just keep them healthy for 4 weeks. 2 works between, they should be ready.

Mike, What were you thinking? You could save all of your money that you spend buying airfare flying to a California rehab clinic, and just donate the money. Especially since you have to buy 2 seats, 1 for you, and the other for your giant clown hat

01 Aug 2011 4:16 PM
Footlick

mz- no explanation.  Freddie says things sometimes in the heat of the moment that he has to backpedal from once he thinks about it.  I would have loved to see her in the Sussex, but I also understand why they wouldn't think it was an ideal race for her.

01 Aug 2011 4:36 PM
Skip

Jason, didn't chickens recently surpass horses as the number one industry in Kentucky?  With either Tobacco or Whiskey also jumping ahead of it?

It used to be the Horse Capital of the World (with debate from Newmarket) but Ocala was claiming that title for a while and I would say Texas with 5 horses for every human is probably up there too.JS but not JK.

01 Aug 2011 4:56 PM
Mike Relva

Who said I visited a rehab in CA? Try AZ!

01 Aug 2011 5:00 PM
Skip

Zookeeper I agree.

Who knows if someone is ill or worse?

Very unkind and not especially adult-like to speak about someone who isn't on here now, who none of us know and who may have suffered in some terrible way. JayJay isn't the only either.

Bad vibes and bad Karma.

01 Aug 2011 5:00 PM
JerseyBoy

GoldenBroom:

No problem.

I will add that not only will Stay Thirsty win the Travers if the track is dry, but that he will win the Jockey Cup Gold Cup, too.

01 Aug 2011 5:08 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Aaron McC

Thank you. A great race is a great race, a great horse is a great horse and he is not any less great because he or she wins the BC Mile turf or dirt or sprint and not The Classic. Not properly placing horses has been more of a problem lately than it used to be. Part of the problem is an increased epidemic of Derby fever but another problem is the money made with new sires who prove themselves at running the Classic distance but are unproven at siring winners at the Classic distance. We see fees nosedive for non-productive sires and increase dramatically for productive sires all the time after their offspring begin to prove themselves or fail on the track. I would consider Mr. Prospector to be the greatest sire for the Classic distances and he was a sprinter. You can win at a mile and 6f and still have a sire that produces Classic winners. You can win at Classic distances and still sire mainly sprinters. Run them where they belong and then see how they do as sires. I am disappointed in the number of champions we have missed out on because of injuries and improper placements. And stop giving every two year Lasix everytime and you will see a reduction in injuries. No two year old should be taking Lasix. I am thrilled with the BC decision to start banning Lasix for two year olds in the BC starting in 2012. Hopefully others will wise up and ban it also. Let their bodies develop.

01 Aug 2011 5:14 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Aaron McC

I forgot to mention that you made excellent points and I was just commenting on your astute observations.

01 Aug 2011 5:16 PM
Ida Lee

Stay Thirsty great!!! Coil? Super Great!!! This guy has a rocket in his butt!! Wow..I may be falling in love AGAIN!!!

01 Aug 2011 5:25 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Wow, too funny I got my "chestnut trifecta" at the Haskell like I thought!  Funny!  Great eye you have Jason with Coil.  He pulled it off and yes he is much the best.  I had a great time at the Haskell.  Shack gave it his all again, it was close. And the Jersey bay JJ's Lucky Train was stalking right behind the chestnuts like I thought.  It was great seeing Speedy Bob in the Winner's Circle and I got to talk to our Steve Haskin!  Absolutely fantastic day!

Shack came out in front of me at the rail really lathered up in sweat, so much so it looked like he had soap on him.  He was in typical form and I noticed that they DID NOT play "Born To Run" as the horses came out as they usually do, when they were well onto the track it played briefly.  Maybe a move so as not to frighten ROI, it was proactive thinking if it was.  Shack and ROI ran a great race too, but "to the Coil belongs the victory!"

Congrats to Stay Thirsty!  Poor little Thirsty looked so scared in the Derby and not quite ready and had such big shoes to fill that day unbeknownst to him. So glad he finally is maturing with the win.

01 Aug 2011 5:31 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Zookeeper

As far as I know jayjay is still on his world tour. He made a bundle at the track this past year and decided to use it to see the world with first class accomodations. Good for him.

01 Aug 2011 7:14 PM
Jason Shandler

Hopefully Jayjay has a one way ticket to Siberia on his world tour.

01 Aug 2011 8:35 PM
The Deacon

Dr. D:  You may wish to throw in Northern Dancer as one of the top sires of all time. He is my number 1...........

01 Aug 2011 9:12 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Maybe jayjay was actually on a three hour tour and is now stranded on a desserted island with Mary Ann and Ginger.

01 Aug 2011 9:20 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

The Deacon

Absolutely. Northern Dancer could easily be number one but I always look for Mr. Prospector on top first, and isn't it amazing how many Belmont Stakes winners are out of his line. A sprinter running the show at 12f. You find their racing niche and worry about the sire line later.

01 Aug 2011 9:26 PM
Paula Higgins

What has happened to our once warm and fuzzy Jason??  Mike Relva cares about horses, including sick ones. No more fighting please. You two need to leave that to merlinmerry and me. merlinmerry, lighten up. I read mackinsac's post and so did several others. We took it the same way. Others did not. If he was defending Zenyatta that's great. I can appreciate that. Now let it go.

Dr Drunkinbum, I understand everything you said. Thank you. ITA. I am glad Thirsty is peaking and hoping Mo can return to form. Love the little guy. Love Thirsty too. Plain old thrilled for Mike Repole. They have done a very great job in caring for Mo. I was very worried for awhile that his condition could be life threatening. As for Shackleford and Coil, I think Shackleford gave Coil a run for his money. I am not convinced that in another rematch Shackleford might not prevail. He ran a really good race. But yes, Coil ran a better race and had to come around horses to get there. It was a great race. As for Goldi not running in the tougher race, where have I heard this before? C'mon people, let's be happy for what she did do. She is one amazing horse. She owes no one any apologies. What an absolute gift she is to horse racing.

01 Aug 2011 9:27 PM

BILLY'S EMPIRE

I do donate,it's not CA. Why am I not suprised you come to your friends defense? You should have a  wealth of knowledge on clowns,Billy.

01 Aug 2011 10:03 PM
Aluminaut

You were at a rehab in Arizona, Mike R?  Did you see Charlie Sheen?:)

01 Aug 2011 10:43 PM
Footlick

Paula- I was responding to mz's question about whether there was an explanation as to why Goldikova wasn't running when Freddie originally said he was up for a rematch in the Sussex.  It was disappointing because this was logically the only race that fit all three of their schedules.   She should have been there and she wasn't.  That's horse racing.

01 Aug 2011 11:10 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Ok, let me get this straight....... We live in a four-legged world ruled by a white-haired speedster and a toad that is overrated?  Cool! I like and respect these two princes of racing so count little ol' me in their world!

Great statement, Jason, both you and Ken Rudolph of TVG thought the same way.

01 Aug 2011 11:12 PM
GunBow

Jason:

I agree, and no offense to Stay Thirsty, but the Saratoga Beyers do seem inflated.  The ungraded Curlin gets a 101?  The Ruffian a 98?  And if Stay Thirsty ran a 106, then Moonshine Mullin ran a 99, and Dominus a 97? The top 3 finishers in the Dandy would have won the Haskell? And Sidney's Candy's  99 in the Fourstardave was completely subjective and based on class because the final time was slower than other 8.5 furlong turf races that day.

02 Aug 2011 12:06 AM
hip703

"Weekend Beyer Speed Figures

Coil-96

Stay Thirsty-106

Thoughts?"

According to the Beyer scale, Stay Thirsty was five lengths better than Coil this weekend.  Hah.  Beyer is drinking too much Saratoga Kool Aid.

02 Aug 2011 12:19 AM
JJW

Stay Thirsty and Blind Luck are the best horses in the country.

02 Aug 2011 12:41 AM
The Deacon

I agree with Paula Higgins, Mike R is good for these blogs and I know he loves horses. Like all of us, he is very concerned about our industry. For me, horse racing has never been about the gaming aspect of it, although I do wager now and again, but not like back in the day. I just love the horses and the breathtaking moments they provide for each of us. I like to watch the storied greats race over and over again. technology today allows us to do that. The history of this sport is second to none. Folks can have Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and Barry Bonds. I will take Spectacular Bid, Damascus, Dr. Fager and Secretariat videos anyday.

At least once or twice a month I watch Ruffian in her races and then I watch the Breeders Cup Classic and Zenyatta. To me, that is what it's all about......

02 Aug 2011 2:24 AM
Draynay

I agree Deacon I love watching Blame whip her again and again.

02 Aug 2011 11:12 AM
Weekend

How was I defending anyone? I was just making fun of you. Mental Midget

02 Aug 2011 11:17 AM
Draynay

Goldikova wins AGAIN !  Greatest Mare I have ever seen by far.

02 Aug 2011 11:18 AM

ALUMINAUT

lol I'm afraid it was a different kind of rehab.

02 Aug 2011 11:48 AM
I like Candy

GunBow's attempt to prove his faulty premise that SoCal racing (horses and trainers) has declined more severely than the sport of horse racing in general -- by downgrading Coil before the Haskell -- bombed every bit as miserably as Markinsac's attempt at humor.  BTW, people who are misinterpreting his post, are the ones doing most of the talking and very little reading, otherwise they would know that he is an avid Zenyatta supporter.

02 Aug 2011 11:52 AM

The Deacon

Your ENTIRE post was well said.

02 Aug 2011 12:09 PM

Beware Jason

Maybe JayJay is going to Siberia to check it out for the Bloodhorse, just in case they decide to open up an office up there.  I hear it gets pretty cold even in the summer time.

02 Aug 2011 12:58 PM
Draynay

Coil is not half the horse Shackleford is.  Shack ran in all 3 Triple Crown races where was Coil ?  Beating Shack by a head after he ran in 3 of the toughest races doesn't impress me one bit.  Good luck getting by Shack in the Travers.  Shack will throw up a 105 Beyer and what will Coil do then ?

02 Aug 2011 1:21 PM

DEACON/ PAULA

Thanks for your comments.

02 Aug 2011 1:50 PM
Householder

Jason.  Nice article 2 months ago on Baffert's strong 3 year old hand including COIL.  You suprise me sometimes. Loved my pre-derby favorite beating up the Preakness and Belmont winner.

SECRET CIRCLE looks to be a promising MP/Baffert 2 year old.  Bel Pal stakes next?

02 Aug 2011 3:01 PM
2:24

Draynay: I expect that Coil will show Shackleford his tail as the pass the eighth pole.  The Travers is 10 furlongs.

02 Aug 2011 3:09 PM
Jason Shandler

Dray you are truly a dope. Coil had a bad break and had to go five-wide while Shack had the perfect trip. And he still ran him down easily.

Where was Coil during the Triple Crown? He was hurt, just like your ego after all your losers day after day.

02 Aug 2011 3:16 PM
Footlick

Glad there is another blog up.

02 Aug 2011 4:00 PM

DRAYNAY

Coil proved me wrong again. Why don't you extend Coil a little credit considering the post he drew,coming from last,wide.

Just pretend Coil isn't a CA horse,you'll be fine.

02 Aug 2011 4:05 PM

BILLY's EMPIRE

So,how's your "horses"? lol

02 Aug 2011 4:07 PM
The Deacon

Draynay: Your level of ignorance never ceases to amaze me. Truthfully the 2009 and 2010 Breeders Cup Classice were equally breathtaking. It doesn't take away any of Zenyatta's greatness because she barely lost. True horse lovers would not make such a comment. Losing is not shameful, in face it is quite the opposite. I once lost a state basketball game back in high school way back when and I received more compliments by our teams sportmanship by losing then I could ever imagine. Whether you acknowledge Big Z's greatness is irrelevant to anyone. Ever heard the phrase insert foot in mouth. Or like my my pop used to say, it is better to remain quiet and appear stupid then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

02 Aug 2011 4:17 PM
Draynay

Coil caught a closing track.  Speed was not holding up all day.  See you at the Travers.  If you remember I liked Coil too but the track was not playing to speed.  Anyone who picked Coil had NO IDEA that he would be taken back.  Let me know where Coil finishes in the Travers.  History told us Shackleford would not win the Haskell but next time out he will improve and there isn't a 3 year old fit enough to beat him in the Travers.

02 Aug 2011 4:19 PM
Draynay

Deacon, please read your last sentence and follow your own advice.  The poly restricted state champion can now join Sham as the most overrated horses of all time.

If Coil beats Shackleford in the Travers then you have something.  Jason, 100 says he doesn't you in?

02 Aug 2011 6:12 PM

THE DEACON

Well said, individuals like that doesn't write history. Him and a few others are in a minority,not even a blimp on the radar.

02 Aug 2011 6:33 PM
markinsac

POLY WANTS A CRACKER!  WHERE WAS COIL DURING THE TRIPLE CROWN? POLY STATE CHAMP.  COIL BEAT SHACKLEFORD ONLY PROVES SHACKLEFORD IS BETTER THAN THAT CALIFORNIA FAKE TRACK PRETENDER! POLLY WANTS A CRACKER.  COILIFORNIA!  I WATCH ZENYATTTA LOSE THE BREEDERS CUP.  RACHEL WAS BETTER!  POLLY WANTS A CRACKER!  ZENYATTA LOST TO BLAME, RACHEL LOST TO ZARDANA AND PERSISTENTLY ONLY PROVES THAT RACHEL WAS BETTER! POLLY WANTS A CRACKER!  IF BLIND LUCK DOESN'T COME TO SARATOGA IT ONLY PROVES SHE'S A POLY STATE CHAMP. POLY WANTS A CRACKER!

02 Aug 2011 6:47 PM
Householder

markinsac.  Amen.

Draynay. Please refer to Zenyatta as "North American and world record holder" in all future discussion on the subject.

Unless you want to continue to pretend otherwise.

02 Aug 2011 7:30 PM
Householder

At 6 starts, only 3 around 2 turns, Coil is a pretty lightly raced colt.  Baffert is still making equipment changes and giving jockey instructions on a horse that is only 2 races in after an injury.  Toss the 2nd place Swaps (even Sunday Silence lost this one) and his lightly raced record looks pretty good.

02 Aug 2011 7:36 PM

MARKINSAC

Really? lmao Memory serves that BL came to Del. and beat Grace in her back yard. Guess you don't remember. lmao

02 Aug 2011 8:42 PM
GunBow

I Like Candy:

If you read the comments I added to my Guest Blog, you would have seen the stats on attendance, handle, and purses for Southern California racing.  That all 3 have declined(purses when one takes into account inflation) is not an opinion, it is a statement of fact.  The declines in attendance and handle have led to  significant decreases in the purses for a number of once important stakes races.  The end result is that the fields for these stakes races are not up to the quality of the fields from the 80s and 90s.  My premise is simple: the industry of thoroughbred racing in California is struggling, and these struggles have affected the quality of the product.

However, California racing  remains near the top on the continent; California is not the only state experiencing declines in thoroughbred racing.  If one judges the quality of racing on a year-round basis, then California has the best thoroughbred racing of any state.

As for Coil, read my comments after the Affirmed.  I was one of his biggest supporters.  Yet, I did lose faith after the Swaps, and just thought he had too many  negatives for the Haskell, especially considering he was the second choice.  As for the performance of the Cali 3 year olds on the Triple Crown Trail, 2011 was a dismal year.  The Cali horses bombed when they went back East for preps, and then tanked in the 3 Triple Crown races.  So, I had plenty of reasons to be down on the Cali 3 year olds.

In comparison, last year I thought the Cali 3 year olds matched up very well(won the Illinois Derby and swept the 3 Oaklawn races), and thought Lookin at Lucky was the best 3 year old all along(even when Eskendraya was still healthy).

03 Aug 2011 4:56 AM
Weekend

Mike, Markinsac is mocking Dray.

You do a fine job making yourself look like an _____ (fill in the blank!

03 Aug 2011 8:37 AM

MARKINSAC

Go get him.  LMAO

03 Aug 2011 10:15 AM
Pedigree Ann

Householder, what "North American and world record" does Zenyatta hold? It isn't a consecutive wins record; Camarero and Kincsem hold those. She set no speed records, she set no weight-carrying records. Do not be misled by media hype.

PS. Stating that Zenyatta does not hold these records is not 'hating'; it is acceptance of the bald truth of the record books. Just because you believe it does not make it so.

03 Aug 2011 11:22 AM

Billy

If you don't lay off Mike he won't return that super big clown hat he borrowed off you to go out west.

03 Aug 2011 3:53 PM

Pedigree Anne

Why don't yuo try most consecutive G1 or Group One wins.  Then try leading money winning filly or mare in N/A.

03 Aug 2011 4:47 PM

Pedigreee Anne

I also forgot to mention that Zenyatta holds the N/A record for G1 victories by a Filly or mare.

03 Aug 2011 11:06 PM

BILLY'S EMPIRE

You must have a special interest in fashion to compare clothes a few months back with Repole. lmao

04 Aug 2011 9:35 PM

LAZ

Lol,that's right. Shocked he can even spell clown.

05 Aug 2011 12:04 PM
Skip

Jason, Draynay says he'll see you at the Travers?  That means you'll be doing a handicapping show from Saratoga that he can watch?

I'll stop by the set.

Mike Relva, yes I thought it really freaky that another man would take so much interest in that gawd awful outfit of Repole's. Bad taste goes a long ways just look at what he's been naming some of his horses lately.

05 Aug 2011 9:54 PM

SKIP

Agreed! The only difference is Repole does own horses and Billy pretends to. lmao

06 Aug 2011 5:04 PM
Householder

Pedigree Ann.  I'll give you the dates.

August 7, 2010 Zenyatta broke Rock of Gibraltar's world record for consecutive group/grade 1 wins.

October 2, 2010 broke Bayakoa's NA record for grade 1 wins by a filly/mare...which had not been touched in 20 some years.

Horses don't even run 10 times anymore so I doubt either record will be topped in our lifetime.

08 Aug 2011 3:33 PM