With less than two months until the Breeders' Cup, here is a quick ranking of the leaders in some of the divisions. It's unclear what race some of the top contenders will point for, so here is a general breakdown of horses that have had at least one start in North America.
1. Tizway--A clear leader now. JCGC win would make him BC Classic favorite.
2. Stay Thirsty--Gets first test against older horses in JCGC. Is he up to the challenge?
3. Flat Out--Consecutive runner-up finishes to two top BC Classic contenders makes him a viable threat.
4. Twirling Candy--Had every chance to win his last two. Classic distance isn't ideal.
5. Game On Dude--Hasn't won since Santa Anita Handicap but is always in contention.
6. Uncle Mo--Kelso is next, but don't be surprised if he goes to Classic off that one.
1. Havre de Grace--A nose away from being undefeated this year. She's as good as any male horse out there. Beldame is next.
2. Blind Luck--Not convinced that she didn't have something minor going on. Maybe Hollendorfer wanted to give her a two and half month break, but I think there were other factors at play. Everyone hoping for Beldame appearance but Lady's Secret is more likely.
3. Royal Delta--Alabama win was overwhelming. She's peaking.
4. Ask the Moon--Two decisive grade I wins at Saratoga. Dangerous on the front end.
5. Quiet Giant--She is getting really good for Pletcher at the right time. Class test is next.
6. Switch--Suffered some tough losses this year. She has a lot of class.
1. Cape Blanco--The best of a very mediocre distance turf division.
2. Acclamation--Earned Classic berth but I think he'll wind up in BC Turf. California-bred is a very nice story.
3. Winchester--Back in the mix after Sword Dancer win.
4. Courageous Cat--Woodbine Mile is next, then BC Mile.
5. Gio Ponti--Will point for BC Mile again. Rematch with Goldikova looms.
6. Sidney's Candy--I guess he'll go back to turf now?
1. The Factor--Winning against older horses the way he did at Del Mar was freaky.
2. Big Drama--Defending BC Sprint champ was impressive in return.
3. Caleb's Posse--Can't say enough about his last two wins.
4. Euroears--Return to the U. S. was very good. Baffert will have him peaking at the right time.
5. Trappe Shot--Ready for grade I breakthrough.
6. Jackson Bend--Found his niche at one turn. Showdown with Uncle Mo could be next.