Evening Gone Too Soon

By Becky Johnston

Evening gone to soon

It is an understatement to say this sport has highs and lows.

Even after 20 years, I am still surprised when the cold slap of reality strikes me firmly across the face.  I chastise myself in these instances for allowing my spirit to go to those peaks with the sport.  The fall comes faster than any chair can be pulled from beneath you and the ground is so much harder.

The weekend that was

Friday's races at Saratoga brought the fairytale story of a half-blind filly that carries the hopes of his owner/trainer and possibly the spirit of Lisa's Booby Trap's namesake.   You couldn't have hoped for a better outcome than her win.  The trust and faith of man and beast even extended to jockey Kent Desormeaux, who has seen a few better days too.

Oh the places they take us!

The Whitney showcased what can be great about this sport.  The challenge to fans and handicappers to pledge their allegiance to one side or the other, with great passion for their chosen horse.  Let the arguments begin!   It has been a long time since we have had this kind of race at this point in the summer for the handicap division.   The colts have won 15 of their 21 starts.

Could Quality Road defeat a great colt like Blame, giving him five pounds and go a distance that might be a touch longer than his brilliance can carry him?  Handicappers then had to wonder if Blame would have enough pace to run into.  Would he have the ground necessary to catch Quality Road, even with his powerful closing clip.

Two great colts owned by longtime thoroughbred owners that possess their share of our sport's great history and the race was no disappointment.  The contest decided by a short margin that left plenty of room for debate before the next meeting.

Oh yes and her!

Then Zenyatta takes us to the ballet for the evening.  It doesn't matter what the margin of victory is.  It doesn't matter if there is no great drama.  She hits her crescendo like a fine orchestra giving the performance of it's life.

She came out and did her dance.  She performed and then with a charming arrogance asks the crowd "How do you like me now?"

We like!

After Zenyatta's race, melancholy sets in a little.  The realization there are only a couple more dates for us with Zenyatta.  My thoughts quickly shift and I comfort myself with thoughts of all the exciting dates to come.  Blind Luck facing off against Devil May Care in the Alabama on August 21st.  Arlington Million day and the gutsy Tuscan Evening in the Beverly D.  The Pacific Classic, the fall New York series, and finally the Breeders' Cup and the return of Goldikova.

Our cup runneth over!

Try as I might to remember the hurt, I sometimes get so caught up in the loftiness of the highs I forget to protect myself from the bitter certainty of the lows.  They hit you with such surprising cruelty just as sure as the sun will rise each day. Racing fans are resilient, we live for the highs of the sport.  We somehow must make peace with the lows.

The news Sunday morning of the loss of the gutsy Tuscan Evening could not have been more unexpected.  Again, I chastise myself for letting my feet come off the ground and to count on things that might never come to pass.

We will never again see the milky-mouthed mare run her heart out.  The one thing I was sure of, she would never run out of heart.  Unfortunately, these are not mythical creatures.  They are living, breathing fragile blessings that sweep into our lives and then just as quickly disappear.  Alas, they can simply run out of heart.

These glorious creatures give us afternoons where problems float away, giving us respite from the mundane ordinary things that fill our lives with forgettable duties.  We drudge through to get to the good stuff.

Well, Tuscan Evening was a part of my good stuff.

Stark Morning

Tuscan Evening gone on August 8th, 2010 at the age of five.

She started her career the same year as Zenyatta, but the bay filly had a different beginning.  Her seventh place finish at Naas Racecourse May 16, 2007 in County Kildare gave no inkling of what she might become.  She raced at two Royal Ascot meetings before we even knew her in this country.  She was 0 for 11 in two years time, but her connections must have seen the possibility of her.  After an ownership change in her three-year-old season, the winless filly managed a Group 1 placing with a second in the Irish One Thousand Guineas in 2008.  Tuscan Evening was a head away from being a classic winner.

Jerry Hollendorfer took over the training of the filly at the end of the 2008 season.  He first saddled her for owner William DeBurgh on January 22, 2009 in a maiden special weight race at Santa Anita, her twelfth start.  The Irish filly was a California Girl now and it appeared to agree with her.  She won her first race by a commanding five lengths on the tricky downhill course in 1:12.

The four-year-old peeled off four more wins in her next five starts including the Grade 2 Royal Heroine at Hollywood Park.  She threw in a clunker at Del Mar in the Grade 1 John C. Mabee last summer behind Magical Fantasy with an eight place finish, but that was the last time she would fail to hit the board.

After a third place finish in her next start, she would re-partner with jockey Rafael Bejarano who had already won twice with the daughter of Oasis Dream.  They added seven more wins, losing only once to Ventura in last year's Grade 1 Matriarch Stakes.  She was undefeated, a perfect 6-0 this year, all in graded company.  Her first Grade 1 win in the Gamely Handicap appeared to be far from her last, but it was to be her last and only Grade 1 win.

What might have been.....

Here are some of the great memories that Tuscan Evening leaves behind for her fans.

June 6, 2009, Tuscan Evening earns her first stakes victory in the Redondo Beach at Hollywood Park

The filly scores her first graded stakes race in the Royal Heroine (G2) on July 11, 2009

In 2010 Tuscan Evening reeled off three straight before entering the Santa Barbara, a mile and a quarter test on April 17, 2010.

The Gamely, the elusive Grade 1, was next on May 29th.  This was Tuscan Evening's third try for the highest grade in this country.  It wasn't going to be easy with former champion Forever Together shipping in.

"No matter what you do, you can't beat her." Vic Stauffer

Sadly Arlington Park's Modesty Handicap, a Grade 3 prep for the Grade 1 The Beverly D was to be her last start.  She removed another question mark from any doubters left out there, she could win outside of California.

Sad Fan in Wisconsin

Thanks Becky for putting my thoughts into words! I too get hit really hard when these fabulous animals show they are mortal too!

God Speed and RIP Beautiful Girl!!

09 Aug 2010 2:05 PM
Giddyup

On reading the news that Tuscan Evening had died I felt like I had just been kicked in the gut...what a tragic loss for this sport we love. I want to thank owner William DeBerg and trainer Jerry Hollendorfer for giving us fans a chance to marvel at this amazing thoroughbred and offer my condolences as well.

09 Aug 2010 2:20 PM
Darla

Rest in peace Tuscan Evening....you were truly a great race mare!!! Truly gone too soon......

09 Aug 2010 2:26 PM
kim f

Such sadness on an otherwise great racing weekend. RIP Tuscan Evening...You will be greatly missed!

09 Aug 2010 2:30 PM
Greg J.

Well said Becky...

This is how I would like to remember Tuscan Evening,

"A visit with Tuscan Evening(and her nose)":

www.youtube.com/watch

09 Aug 2010 2:32 PM
Rachel O

I so well remember when Eight Belles fell, with two broken ankles, after the valiant effort that brought her second place in the Kentucky Derby. I had thought that might be the death knell for racing. so horrible! I, and many others, donated her winnings to horse rescue, and lit a candle for her.

And how heartbroken millions of us were when we heard that Barbaro couldn't make it.

My condolences to Tuscan Evening's

connections and fans everywhere. I don't know of any sport with such highs and lows.

09 Aug 2010 2:50 PM
Emily27

I was lucky enough to see in her last race at Arlington. She was gorgeous and so talented. I was so shocked to see that headline yesterday. This is such a horrible loss for racing and her connections! I hope she wins the Eclipse

RIP Tuscan Evening

09 Aug 2010 2:54 PM
MOKEY

What a high and low weekend! Yes the story of Lisa's Booby Trap is a great one-you couldn't help yourself but to cheer that little filly on! Great wins and a lost of a great horse. May she find Ruffian, Genuine Risk and Go for Wand waiting for her to race with too.

09 Aug 2010 3:07 PM
pas

Becky, THANK YOU!

First, you write a sweet and lovely eulogy in memory of Tuscan Evening. It's both surprising and sad to have lost her, and as you have said, if only.....

Second, you salute the great Zenyatta in her 18th straight win. Unlike other blog writers on this site, save Steve Haskin and Keelerman, you show none of the bigoted spitefulness that this great mare has garnered from them.

Had it been Quality Road or Rachel Alexandra that had a win streak of this magnitude, it would be a no-brainer to follow their every whinny on their road to its continuance. But for some reason, a horse that races primarily out of CA is not worthy of that attention.

A racing outlet in England, in ENGLAND, mentioned as much as the same thing when she tied Cigar's and Citation's record. It says quite a bit that someone in another country is questioning the thought process of some Yanks to choose not to honor their own horse.

I have to agree.

09 Aug 2010 3:13 PM
Karen in Indiana

For all the back and forth over Zenyatta-Rachel and Quality Road-Blame, Tuscan Evening was an under the radar superstar in her own right. Since she started in the States, I always made a point of watching her races. You are right, she is gone too soon.

09 Aug 2010 3:16 PM
Zen's Auntie

Well Written Becky, and a nice tribute, thanks for the reminder of how fleeting and fragile Horses, even Super horses can be.

How well I remember Ruffian's break down and how agonizingly slow the news of the surgery and her condition and that she didnt make it came to us.

It hurt like fire in my adoring Young girl's heart for weeks months even. For a while, I couldnt let myself get passionate about any other race horse. Horses and race horses in particular were my whole world as a 10 year old living on Long Island I almost quit following racing at all,  afraid to get hurt so badly again. than came Slew and I was a gonner.  It helped me learn at that precocious age that you have to let yourself Love like your never going to get hurt. Any thing less is not enough.

Bottom line, We should bicker less and appreciate them so much more.

Still, from my own experience I say dont be afraid to reach the top of elation just because tragedy does happen. My Joy that the the other runners remained safe somehow tempers my sorrow.

I choked up when I heard about Tuscan Evening, "there but for the grace of God goes ...?" We all can Fill in the blank with the most heart wrenching name we can imagine. I wont even mention mine, even though She ran there the day before.

Still, It was a great weekend of racing. Events like this bring to bear the reality of these living creatures and how swiftly they can be taken from us. It makes me just want to revel in thier acheivements even more.

Say a prayer for all of the racers every day cuz anything can happen.

09 Aug 2010 3:22 PM
tbpartnerperson43

Thank you Becky for a beautifully written tribute.  RIP Tuscan Evening - you will not be forgotten.

09 Aug 2010 4:04 PM
GunBow

Thank you so much Becky for this tribute piece to Tuscan Evening.  I was with you this weekend, enjoying the great highs this sport can offer and then plunging to the depths with the news of Tuscan Evening's death.

I had been able to experience win #18 for Zenyatta in person at Del Mar, and brought a friend who was able to see her for the first time.  As much as I prepared him for Zenyatta's charisma, her flair, and the crowd response, he was still blown away.

Needless to say, I was floating after that.  I came home, commented about Zenyatta and the Whitney on various blogs, then woke up Sunday morning and did more of the same.  Then, in the afternoon, I went to watch the Vanderbilt, excited to see a great field of sprinters, and looking for the cherry on top of the weekend.  Majesticperfection was awesome, so I went to read the write-up for the Vanderbilt.

I, probably like many other racing fans, learned early to prepare myself for the tragedy that sadly occurs in this sport.  After all, my second year following the sport, 1990, was one of immense tragedy and sadness.  Before going to the races or watching a race on tv or over the internet, I steel myself for the worst.  Yet, yesterday afternoon, when I went to look at the headlines for the Vanderbilt, I was not prepared to see, right next to it, the news of Tuscan Evening's death.  I was stunned, and sad.

Tuscan Evening had become one of my favorite horses over the last 9 months.  I had seen her run in person on 7 occasions over this time period, with her winning 6 of them to go along with that 2nd to Ventura in the Matriarch.  Quickly, Tuscan Evening tied Free House as the horse who I had seen in person win the most graded stakes races(6).

I do not claim to know the sadness that Jerry Hollendorfer, Dan Ward, William de Burgh, others in the Hollendorfer barn, or even Rafael Bejarano are now experiencing over Tuscan Evening's death.  Even having seen her just 7 times, her death has hit me as hard as any thoroughbred death in recent years.

As with many others, I admired Tuscan Evening's will, gameness, determination, professionalism, and versatility.  Over those 7 races, I saw Tuscan Evening win graded stakes races from 6.5 furlongs to 10 furlongs.  She had this great ability to dictate the pace and then fly home, even if it didn't always look as if she was running that fast in the stretch.  And with the exception of the brilliant Ventura, she always had a response to any challenge.  She wasn't a tall filly, and she had a very delicate, feminine head, but she was built like a little tank and ran like one too.

I hope Jerry Hollendorfer, Dan Ward, William De Burgh, and the whole team know how much people like me appreciated their wonderful little mare and all the love they gave to her.

09 Aug 2010 4:13 PM
Rachel

At 5, she had just gotten her last "adult" teeth...

I never make peace with their loss...I endure it...one day I will be gone forever as a fan, bettor and potential owner...there are other equestrian sports where 5 is the beginning.

09 Aug 2010 6:08 PM
Tiznowbaby

I'm just sick about this. Condolences to all her connections -- she was such a lovely mare and really had come in to her own.

09 Aug 2010 6:28 PM
Sally F

Beautiful thoughts and memories of a wonderful being who left us too soon!  I have been a big fan of "Evening" since I saw her first race in California.  These magnificent horses give us so much!!  It's so hard to have to say goodbye.  We can only hope to be reunited someday over the Rainbow Bridge.  God Speed!

09 Aug 2010 6:37 PM
Runfast159

Since I follow Southern California racing with more intensity then any of the other tracks, I came to know and respect Tuscan Evening probably before alot of people did.  I was like a proud parent when she burst into more national prominence!

But you are right, the stark reality we are faced with is that our heros and heroines are mere flesh and bone.  Her passing took me back to the cold shock I felt the day I learned that Swale had passed.  So sudden and unexpected.

I believe that our animals shed their earthly bodies just like our own spirits do when it is time.  Tuscan Evening lives on, not just in our hearts and memories but in the vast expanse we call the Other Side.  Oh how they must race there.....

09 Aug 2010 7:47 PM
Landaluce

Thank you for remembering Tuscan Evening, she was such a game mare!  I only wish this wasn't buried so deep in the Bloodhorse pages!

09 Aug 2010 7:52 PM
dinkydiva

lovely article. When I heard about her fatal death, I couldn't believe it until I came on here and read the first article.  As I read it, I cried!!!  I had been following her for awhile now and, it is way to sad!!!!  I can't believe that nothing indicated that something was wrong way before this.

This is just another indication as to the feats of Zen!!!  Anything can happen at any given time and for Zen who is a monster, and undefeated, is amazing!!!  Beyond words!!!  R.I.P Tuscan Evening!!!

09 Aug 2010 7:55 PM
Ida Lee

On Saturday, I was screaming for joy after watching the Goddess of all things Equine win again in her usual spectacular fashion. Less than 24 hours later, I was screaming from the pain of learning that my beautiful Tuscan Evening was gone. Loving these wonderful athletes is definitely not for the weak hearted. I can imagine what her connections are going through and my thoughts are with them and with their beautiful Mare who we will miss so much.

09 Aug 2010 8:01 PM
jlp918

Tuscan Evening was a shining star that left the racing world all too soon.  I hope that she will not be forgotten when the Eclipse Awards are handed out next year.

09 Aug 2010 8:26 PM
ctgreyhound

Lovely, thought-provoking sentiments. We have lost what seems to be an overabundance of well known, respected horses this year, some to early retirement due to injury & others to the ultimate silence. There is bitter irony that Tuscan Evening lost it all on the turf doing what she did best. Thank God it wasn't witnessed by the world stage during the Breeders Cup. We were spared the stinging whip of the animal rights do-gooders. It's a demented blessing to have all the answers. The rest of us will rely on memories, race replays & what could have been.

09 Aug 2010 8:39 PM
GhostTown

09 Aug 2010 10:28 PM
Robin from Maryland

Such a sad day for racing - another one gone too soon.  May she rest in peace, and we find solace with our memories of a wonderful racehorse.  Godspeed sweet girl.

09 Aug 2010 10:40 PM
Mike Relva

HI BECKY

Like many was very shocked and saddened to read of the untimely passing of T. Eve. Thanks for remembering her as I will.

09 Aug 2010 10:46 PM
Freetex

A bitter pill indeed.  I love the sport but, the death of a young horse is difficult to accept under any circumstances.

This will be a hard memory.

RIP Tuscan Evening.......

10 Aug 2010 1:27 AM
Fuzzy Corgi

What a shock to see that another star has left us way too soon. When I read that Tuscan Evening probably died of a heart attack I instantly thought of Swale and Best Pal, both victims of the same ailment. Swale after a work out and Best Pal while in his pasture. I have seen two horses die of heart attacks and the only good part about this condition is they go quickly with little or no pain. But there is a pain in my heart that they are gone. Thanks for the wonderful memories pretty girl. Run with those that have also crossed the Rainbow Bridge and say 'Hi' to Lost In The Fog for me. Now I am crying again.

10 Aug 2010 1:35 AM
GunBow

As a big fan of Tuscan Evening who is broken up about her passing, it was nice to have a forum like this to express my emotions and to see I'm not alone.  And thanks Greg for the video.  Her head, with that narrow white streak that disappeared, and that white/pink snout was unique.

10 Aug 2010 2:41 AM
Fran Loszynski

When I was younger my mother would see my low face if a horse had been hurt on the track or died from an accident while running. She simply said to me:

"Just remember racehorses gotta run!" Every racehorse has its Mt. Everest to climb and isn't it fortunate we are fans of this sport and can watch these magnificent animals catch the wind.

One other magnificent thing is there are hearts and longing for these horses, one of which is you.

.....And the race goes on.

10 Aug 2010 8:00 AM
Dawn

What an amazing article and a beautiful tribute to Tuscan Evening.  We need to remember how fragile these awesome creatures are.  These thoroughbreds try so hard with all their heart.  We should embrace these thoughts every time they race.

10 Aug 2010 8:47 AM
MyBigRed

Thank you Becky for the Tribute to Tuscan Evening. She was indeed, a Magnificent Race Horse and she will be missed by many. We need to appreciate ALL of the Equine Athletes regardless of which one is our favorite. After all, They Are God's Creations! Rest In Peace, Beautiful Girl.

10 Aug 2010 10:29 AM
Carrie

Very beautifully put.  It always kills me when these magnificent animals are taken away from us so quickly.  I loved watching Tuscan Evening run and will miss her greatly.  RIP Tuscan Evening, may you run always in our hearts.

10 Aug 2010 10:34 AM
DawnStorm

Time and time again we are reminded about the highs and lows of racing.  But, I can not imagine any high erasing the loss of a horse.  To the entire Tuscan Evening family, please accept my deepest and most sincere condolences. [quote]

^What Ghost Town said.^

Seems like Dawn is a popular name around here--I applaud your parent's good taste! I think I'll just go by the handle I use on other sites so there won't be any confusion on this one. And for those who already know me--yes I'm occassionally on this site too! You can't get rid of me! Bwaahaaaaa!!

10 Aug 2010 10:54 AM
anna

i was watching tvg when nick hines and you could tell that it killed him to call in and annouce how horrible he felt since he was at the track watching her work and watched the whole thing happen, and people talk about how some horses have so much heart and sometimes their heart fails them in the end like it did for go between last january and if the newswriters know what the best thing is for the sport they'd vote her champion turf mare otherwise this business is truly going to die without fans, since it's the fans who make horses like her great.

10 Aug 2010 1:27 PM
Runfast159

And now Odysseus.  He was a beautiful and thrilling racehorse.  It's been a tough week...

10 Aug 2010 3:03 PM
Geegees

It is always sad when a wonderful animal runs faster and harder than their bodies can.  We were lucky to watch this wnderful mare run with the wind and that is how I will remember her.  Just as I will remember the othere that have gone to racetrack in the sky before her, EightBells trying to catch Big Brown, Go For Wand running her heart out against Bayakoa, Ruffian against Foolish Pleasure,  Prairie Bayou tring for the Belmont Crown,  and those are just a few.  These glorious creatures truly run with the wind.  It is only sad when they finish the race sometimes the wind they are running with is from heaven.  Even though it makes me cry when a tragedy happens, I just think of the great moments these wonderful athletes havev given us.   May they all run free in the sky.

10 Aug 2010 4:46 PM
slee

Thanks for the thoughts and memories (and snuffly nose in that video!) of this wonderful mare.

And now Odysseus is gone too.  Another victim of laminitis.

What small consolation that she died on the turf after a workout, and not in a race where others would have been in danger when she fell.  I cannot imagine what Jerry Hollendorfer and the rest of her family are going through.  Thanks for all the races you gave us with this wonderful mare on the turf.....and in our hearts.

10 Aug 2010 5:47 PM
Citation

Such a great article.  Thank you.  Outside of Zenyatta, I thought she was the most talented mare running in North America today.  What a sad, sad loss for racing, and for her connections.

10 Aug 2010 7:49 PM
MRO

Zenyatta's glory to Tuscan Evening's tragedy in less than 24 hours. Unbelievably sad.

10 Aug 2010 9:13 PM
Tracy W.

My mom actually introduced me to Tuscan Evening. I introduced her to Zenyatta years ago, so it only be fitting she return the favor with a mare who was undefeated this year.

My mom bets the horses almost every day, so I heard about Tuscan Evening practically the first time she raced in California. Admittedly, I looked at her past performances and just shrugged her off. After a couple victories, I could not ignore her. She was incredible.

She would have been something special.

What really broke my heart, however, was hearing of Oddyseus just now. First her, now him. I thought he would win the Derby. I'm starting to really believe the phrase that "they go in threes", although I'm really hoping this heartbreak stops at two.

10 Aug 2010 9:18 PM
ruffianruns

This song, Broken, has helped me be grateful for the highs and it has helped me understand the lows.  I wish I could sing it to you all.

I'll miss you Tuscan Evening.  All my love to you and your two-legged companions.

Broken

written by Thom Schuyler

performed by Andy Childs

I don't have to hide it, yes it hurts inside

It's not the way I'd like to feel

But in love you take the risk

That your heart could break like this

Or you just don't get behind the wheel

And I'd rather have it broken, broken, broken in pieces on the ground

I'd rather have it achin, shakin, and makin that melancholy sound

If I'm gonna taste that sweet, sweet honey, I'm bound to feel the sting

I'd rather have it broken, broken, than to never feel a thing

You can calculate how much love your heart can take

and still escape before you fall

But if you don't cross the line

There's a chance you'll never find

The kind of love that's worth it all

And I'd rather have it broken, broken, broken in pieces on the ground

I'd rather have it achin, shakin, and makin that melancholy sound

If I'm gonna taste that sweet, sweet honey, I'm bound to feel the sting

I'd rather have it broken, broken, than to never feel a thing

Even when I'm all alone, listening to it moan and groan

I'd rather have it broken, broken, than to have a heart of stone

And I'd rather have it broken, broken, broken in pieces on the ground

I'd rather have it achin, shakin, and makin that melancholy sound

If I'm gonna taste that sweet, sweet honey, I'm bound to feel the sting

I'd rather have it broken, broken, than to never feel a thing

10 Aug 2010 9:39 PM
txhorsefan

Thank you for a beautiful commentary on Tuscan Evening and presenting her races for us to enjoy once again.  Her sudden passing brings such sadness to her fans, as y'all have commented and my heart goes out to her connections as well.  To them I say thank you for sharing your lovely mare with us for a while.  To Greg J. - thank you for sharing that video - priceless.

Celeste

txhorsefan

10 Aug 2010 10:35 PM
Bellwether

i SEE TWO GREAT GIFTS HEAR...LOVE OF HORSES & EXPRESS N YOUR SELF ON PAPER...HEAR TO-DAY...GONE TO-DAY...LONG LIVE THE KING!!!...ty...

11 Aug 2010 5:02 AM
Dawn in MN

Becky,  Please indulge this post on the topic of losing Tuscan Evening and now Odysseus.  I was absolutely shocked to hear the news of Tuscan Evening's death.  I wonder if we will ever know what the autopsy results are.

Odysseus was the star that I was hoping to see shine on the Triple Crown trail.  That was not to be.  When he was injured, and was off the Triple Crown trail, it was a disappointment, but it was reported as a non-life threatening injury.  I will never forget his Tampa Bay Derby win.  That race will always stand out as one of the gutsiest wins I have ever seen.  Laminitis is such an insidious disease, I was shocked and deeply saddened to learn that laminitis claimed yet another champion.

11 Aug 2010 6:07 AM
spitting the bit

Thank you Becky for such a lovely article and phrase for the passing our beloved racing warriors: "They are living, breathing fragile blessings that sweep into our lives and then just as quickly disappear.  Alas, they can simply run out of heart."  So true!

11 Aug 2010 11:13 AM
Carolyn in ND

Thanks Becky for the tribute, very nice,  Tuscan Evening's passing is another reminder that all living beings pass on to an enternal life.

Sometimes too quickly for those of us left on Earth.  Condolances to Tuscan Evening's connections.

11 Aug 2010 12:15 PM
Dee

Thanks for the nice tribute to this fine mare, as well as the links to watch her victories.  Watch the 2009 Redondo Stakes race as she not only leads wire to wire but jumps the shadows on the course.

11 Aug 2010 12:28 PM
longtimeracingfan

As a longtime owner and breeder of another breed I have seen the same highs and lows... the birth of a new foal, the youngster learning, the adult doing his or her job... and the oldsters who enjoy retirement and an occasional ride and plenty of attention... but I've seen the losses too, the 5 year old's shattered leg playing in the corral, the colic from twisted gut that could not be saved... and the weanling who was mauled by a cougar... and a couple whose ailments were past the "quality of life" question. One makes the decision or the decision is made for us... it is never easy and it is always emotionally draining, these wonderful creatures (and I include my hounds in this too) who give us so much.

Becky, your tribute was lovely, and the reminder of the highs and lows was so well described. Tuscan Evening was taken too soon, but as someone else said, better that it be on her beautiful turf, and in  the morning rather than in front of thousands. Mercy, I guess... but she was fun to watch, and gave us some great moments to remember her by. RIP gentle girl. Run with the greats... you earned it.

11 Aug 2010 2:39 PM
nina

Run free. RIP.

18 Aug 2010 10:10 PM
Judy G ~ California

If my heart is broken, I can only imagine what her family is going through. My sincere condolences.

Beautiful Eight Belles greeted beautiful TUSCANY as she crossed Rainbow Bridge. They will be friends for eternity...

28 Aug 2010 4:01 PM