In the Summer Time....

Late summer means weaning time at many farms so I’m photographing the youngsters as they transition from foals to weanlings. Plans are to photograph the weaning process sometime in August. Right now it’s like Weanling Camp with a Troop Leader as the weanlings follow a nursemare and stay close to the other weanlings.
Weanlings 1
Order this Photo.

Nursemare Weanlings
Order this Photo.
Mares & Foals
Order this Photo.
MareFoal Close Up
Order this photo.
Mares & Foals
Order this photo.
Nursemare
Order this Photo.

With beautiful morning and evening light, it’s an opportune time to photograph horses of all ages out in their fields or working on a training track.

View other photos from On the Farm & At the Track.

The yearling sales season has started and competitive racing is ongoing. The Quality Road/Blame matchup this weekend in the Whitney at Saratoga is one to watch.

All breeds of horses are preparing for the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games (WEG) that begin in September here in Lexington. My WEG coverage still is in the planning stages but should allow for some unique opportunities. I’ll have blog entries on the WEG at www.throughthelensblog.com plus blog entries under Behind the Scenes at WEG on TheHorse.com.

Thanks for visiting my blog as I begin the transition into an ongoing feature. Your input is important if you have ideas, topic suggestions, questions. Send them my way.
I’ll respond to the Comments section and questions as quickly as possible.  Thanks guys!

txhorsefan

Wonderful photos of those lovely babies.  They do appear very peaceful at this traumatic time so it must be going well for them.  I would think it would be pretty tough for some of them.  Thank you for sharing and informing!

06 Aug 2010 6:11 PM
sandieh

beautiful pictures anne, i love to see the horses grazing, each picture seems to tell a story which captures the mind of the horselover!

06 Aug 2010 9:08 PM
christy tate

nice photos anne, the custest one is of the mare with thefly mask and the weanling next to her.

06 Aug 2010 11:00 PM
weekendstorm

Anne, can you tell us where these photos were taken?  Thanks

06 Aug 2010 11:50 PM
smartysgal

Beautiful photos.  I especially like the mare and foal together looking at the camera.  Too bad the mare has a fly mask on.  I would have liked to see the expression on her face, the eyes especially.

07 Aug 2010 6:29 AM
Jean Lubin - Equine Artist

Anne,

Very best wishes on your World Equestrian Games coverage and

blog endeavors.  We'll be attending the games and will follow all your beautiful photos   and comments.  Thanks.

07 Aug 2010 11:52 AM
Love 'em all!

Beautiful pics! They all look so peaceful.

The close-up (pic #4) is especially appreciated showing a fly mask.

Thank you.

07 Aug 2010 12:21 PM
Southern Chris

Could you explain why some have blinders on?

07 Aug 2010 2:20 PM
sherpa

Ms. Eberhardt, I have often wished for a blog that would sometimes give us updates on our favorite racemares-turned-broodmares, how they're doing in their new careers and so on.  Your pictures above are beautiful...and it would be a gift to know the names of the mares, who sired the foals by their sides and who they're currently bred to.  You see, beautiful as the photographs are, the mares/foals are little more than subjects for your camera and there's almost no context for us.

It's so easy to find out where the stallions are.  Why not the mares? Some of them were just as famous on the track as their male counterparts.

I would dearly love to know that Life is Sweet (for one example) is happy, healthy, and looking forward to motherhood! You have the entre at every farm and you could get news for us if you would. :-)

08 Aug 2010 9:09 PM
quarterhossgal

What beautiful photos.  The weanlings look so peaceful and the big kind mare looks like mother image to the colts and fillys. I always weaned my babies with an older gelding that acted like a favorite uncle to the foals.

09 Aug 2010 12:04 AM
Laura

The photos are lovely~it's wonderful hearing stories about and seeing photos of the mares & babies.  I can't wait for more!

09 Aug 2010 7:49 AM
Anne Eberhardt Keogh

Thanks for the Comments:

Sherpa: I will look into photographing Life is Sweet. Good idea. Often I drive around and don't always know which farm is home to the horses photographed but when I do I will include that information. And when I know the names of the mares I'll do the same.

Southern Chris: The blinders are called Fly Masks in this part of the country. Black flies are a terrible nuisance and some bite so the masks help keep the flies off their face and out of their eyes.

09 Aug 2010 10:07 AM
Barbara W

Lovely pictures. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

09 Aug 2010 1:19 PM
sherpa

Thank you!!

09 Aug 2010 6:13 PM
Jeanne

I enjoyed the pictures too; thought they were all good.  BUT ... the one with the mare with the fly mask on would have been a really great picture without the fly mask.  It would only have taken a minute for somebody to take it off while you snapped a picture and I'm sure there were people there that could have helped you.  You just don't take pictures like this, and expect people to buy them.  Black flies or no black flies.

10 Aug 2010 4:34 PM
RachelFan

they are not blinders they are fly masks XD my horses have them from time to time but theyll get dores cause we cant go out 2 x a day to put em on in the morn  and take em off at night but the are used to protect their eyes from flies because flies can get very pesky in the summer XD

10 Aug 2010 4:52 PM
Kay

Great shots!  Contrary, I believe  to most farms, back when we were raising babies, we would wean at 8 months.  We only had 5 mares, but we always thought it was less traumatic for the babes & their moms to wait the extra 2 months before separating them.  Also used "aunts" or "uncles" to pasture w/weanlings to help transition.

11 Aug 2010 12:17 PM
MyBigRed

Thanks for the Beautiful photographs. They can turn a bad day at work, into a happy relaxing afternoon looking at your photographs. I'm sure the horses appreciate the fly masks! Enjoy the World Equestrian Games!

11 Aug 2010 1:01 PM
tbpartnerperson43

What lovely pictures and such a serene way for these weanlings to take a step into adulthood.  You have to love that big, old nurse mare with all her charges.  Looking forward to your next set.  Hopefully, it include some of the race mares we loved.

11 Aug 2010 2:00 PM
Annie

I would love to see pictures of Life Is Sweet, also...she was (is) one of my favorites.

11 Aug 2010 5:56 PM
Cris

What a great photo! Your mare and foal shot is beautiful. The others are nice, but the foal and mare shot says it all. Hard to think the end of their days together is coming so fast.

11 Aug 2010 10:47 PM
mary glynn

Lovely photo's, I have always wanted someone who could to pick a foal crop and follow them from birth to the track Imagine if we had that photographic history of Zenyatta or Rachel. I wore the Secrietrait book out when i was a kid at the shcool Library . You are so gifted ,

12 Aug 2010 10:14 PM
Anne Eberhardt keogh

Thanks for all the comments. A new blog entry will be going up soon featuring Life is Sweet, a followup to one our reader's suggestions. Also featured is a surprise subject related to Life is Sweet. Busy times ahead with lots of photography this fall. Stay tuned.

24 Aug 2010 9:48 AM