Catching Up with Peppers Pride

Undefeated in 19 starts, Peppers Pride won 14 stakes and was a four-time champion in New Mexico. Bred and raced by Joseph Allen, Peppers Pride raced at four different tracks in New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment. She was trained by Joel Marr.

A fan favorite, Peppers Pride was retired after her last race in December, 2008. The mare was shipped to Kentucky in early March, 2009, to Richland Hills Farm and later was moved to Taylor Made Farm, where she now resides.

In foal to Distorted Humor, the 7-year-old mare is due on February 27, 2011. Taylor Shealy regularly takes care of Peppers Pride and said that she doesn’t get excited about much but noted that she is the boss and not a pushover. Peppers Pride shares a field with grade I stakes winner Swift Temper (Giant’s Causeway/Glasgow’s Gold) and graded stakes-placed Racey Player (A.P. Indy/Freesia).

Filled out and looking good as a broodmare, Peppers Pride was relaxed during the photo session.

Order this Photo.
Peppers Pride

Order this Photo.

Once in a paddock she romped around.

Peppers Pride 3
Order this Photo.
Peppers Pride
Order this Photo.
Peppers Pride 5
Order this Photo.

View more photos of Peppers Pride at The Blood-Horse Photo Store.

Don't worry, I didn't forget about the Short listers. Short listers are a unique group, they walk many miles and view many horses. They critique and suggest horses to their clients based on their clients’ preferences. The short listers presently are busy with the upcoming Keeneland September sales with 4,857 catalogued yearlings. Here is a shot of Pat Payne from Taylor Made Sales Agency, hard at work.
Short listers
For a more in-depth look check out the short listers feature in the September 4, 2010 issue of The Blood-Horse.

Julia

Thank you for the beautiful photos of Pepper!

03 Sep 2010 4:25 PM
Sammi P

I love the photos of Peppers Pride! Thanks for sharing these with us all.

What about a visit with My Flag and Storm Flag Flying? I'd love to see pictures of those two ladies.

03 Sep 2010 4:46 PM
sherpa

What a lovely lady!  In the top 2 pictures, she seems to be asking "which do you think is my best profile?" LOL

I'm happy to know where Swift Temper is, too.  She was a favorite of mine. Is she doing well?

Thank you!!!

03 Sep 2010 5:01 PM
Rachel

She looks great, would have loved a shot of ST, too. I don't know Racey Player...

I thought she was being bred to Tiznow?

03 Sep 2010 5:05 PM
sidekickflats

Rachel,

She was bred to Tiznow her first year but she lost that foal.  Hopefully, she won't have any problems with the Distorted Humor foal.  Don't know who they are planning to breed to next year.

03 Sep 2010 5:46 PM
Linda in Texas

From a long time cheer leader of Pepper's Pride and fortunate to be able to see her race her last one in New Mexico, may i say she looks grand and content.

Best Wishes Pepper for you and your foal in 2011.

And thank you Anne Eberhardt you are the best.

From a loyal fan of both.

03 Sep 2010 5:57 PM
ceil

She was bred to Tiznow in 2009 but unfortunately lost her foal.

03 Sep 2010 5:59 PM
txhorsefan

What a thrill to see your photos and read your article about Peppers Pride.  Thank you!  She definitely looks like she's living the good life and I wish her the best.  Thanks!

Celeste

txhorsefan

03 Sep 2010 5:59 PM
RememberEasyGoer

Thanks so much for checking up on, and letting the fans know what is happening with these wonderful horses.

03 Sep 2010 6:32 PM
shuttleworth

Such a beautiful lady! She looks happy... nice to see her!

03 Sep 2010 6:50 PM
Cassidy

Wow does she ever look amazingly happy!

03 Sep 2010 7:30 PM
Linda

She seems to enjoy being photographed. She is a lovely mare. thanks for showing us her pictures

03 Sep 2010 8:22 PM
Delrene

Wow - what a glamour gal- Best wishes to you and your new life as a Mom; living the good life.

03 Sep 2010 8:56 PM
rowdee

Thank you for the pictures of Peppers Pride.  I was one who believed in her, too.

She looks happy and doing what a broodmare should be doing.

I wondered had happened to her since she lost her Tiznow foal, so thank you again for letting her fans know.

03 Sep 2010 9:38 PM
Judy G ~ California

She is still beautiful as ever!

"...noted that she is the boss and not a pushover..." I love it!

Bless her and her unborn foal.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos of the Champ! :-)

03 Sep 2010 9:59 PM
gailg

Thanks for posting the lovely pictures of Peppers Pride! She looks healthy and beautiful. Thanks also for letting us know where Swift Temper is! I love her too! As for other mares--any word on Ventura, Ginger Punch, Honey Ryder, Proud Spell, Music Note, Riskaverse? There are so many I would love to know how they are and what foals they have produced.

03 Sep 2010 10:08 PM
FlaFan

Thanks for the pics of Pepper.  She looks beautiful.  Best of luck to you and your foal Pepper!

03 Sep 2010 10:56 PM
jpsbman

Thanks, love this horse. Hope all goes well for her and her foal.

03 Sep 2010 11:17 PM
gammyp6

She is sooo beautiful! Thanks so much for the update. I too have wondered how she has been since losing her first foal. Looks like she has been just fine. If I were 19 for 19 I would be boss too. I'll bet she and Zenyatta would have a lot to talk about.

04 Sep 2010 1:30 AM
anna

well she was the boss on the racetrack and could've won several graded stakes in open company had her owners been willing to run her outside of new mexico. she might live in kentucky but she is the crowning jewel for the new mexico's breeding program

04 Sep 2010 6:31 AM
cory613

I hope the foal is as quick as she is. I'm pretty sure his name is going to be Pepper's Humor.

04 Sep 2010 8:59 AM
Rachel

Anne, that would be WONDERFUL if you could find our racing girls and let us know how they're doing...my girl Honey Ryder would be good...she's carrying a Tiznow foal I can't wait to see...love the girls ♥

04 Sep 2010 9:16 AM
bheinz01

So glad you featured Pepper's Pride. She looks wonderful. Could you check on Summerly?

04 Sep 2010 9:23 AM
Lori Morton

Thanks so much for these beautiful photos Anne!  What a happy horse she is!   Looking forward to seeing her in November...does Taylor Made allow fans to visit her?   She will always have a special place in my heart. What a great racemare she was- wow, 19 straight..fascinating!   Am tickled pink to have one of her shoes - thanks again Terry!  Love you PP!

04 Sep 2010 9:55 AM
annie

BEAUTIFUL.....just beautiful!

04 Sep 2010 10:03 AM
Love 'em all!

Great way to start my day ... a "visit" with Peppers Pride who looks so happy and so proud.

Think PP's opponents knew she was no "pushover", too.  I loved her racing days, and now wish her many happy days being a mom.  She looks great!

Anne, thank you so much for treating PP's many fans all the great pics and update.

04 Sep 2010 10:36 AM
Shelby's Best Pal

I enjoyed seeing these pictures of Pepper.  She was a favorite of mine and it was exciting to see her race.  It's fun to eat at Joe Allen's restaurant in Abilene, Texas.  The bar area is lined with Pepper posters and memorabilia.

04 Sep 2010 11:00 AM
MRO

Love the photos of Pepper & the updates on other broodmares. They simply do not get the media attention they deserve after racing days are over. For what it is worth, I'm also a big Honey Ryder fan.

04 Sep 2010 11:56 AM
Terry

What a lovely mare. And it is so nice to see a Thoroughbred without a chain over its nose.... Beautiful photos!

04 Sep 2010 12:01 PM
LouAnn Cingel

Absolutely gorgeous photos of Peppers Pride. She is a beautiful mare and in foal just adds to her beauty.  What she's carrying inside her, is sure gonna be a prize and it will likely be Peppers Pride!  God be with Peppers Pride and her unborn baby-

Love & Blessings To Them!

LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

04 Sep 2010 12:16 PM
seattleslewfan77

Thanks for the update on Pepper's Pride.  She looks great.  Good wishes for a healthy pregnancy and delivery!!

04 Sep 2010 12:18 PM
DarkStar

Judy G, Ventura is in foal for next year to Medaglia D' Oro.  It will be her first foal.

04 Sep 2010 12:34 PM
Barbara W

Wow! Beautiful pictures that capture her perfectly. Thank you so much for updates with our "old friends".

04 Sep 2010 1:11 PM
TerriV

Thanks for the pictures.  She looks lovely and happy.  Can't wait to see pictures of her little one.

04 Sep 2010 1:22 PM
quarterhossgal

Loved the pictures of Pepper's Pride.  How about an article about recent racing great mares?  Would love to hear about Rags to Riches!!

04 Sep 2010 1:51 PM
easygoer

Thank you so much for this wonderful section!! I love it! What a treat to see the mares that I watched and find out how they are doing. Please keep the photos and stories coming!

GailG, I am a big Ginger Punch fan also, but she is in Japan now. I am pretty sure we won't get any good pictures or updates on how she is doing :-(

04 Sep 2010 2:23 PM
diastu

One more thank you for the Pepper's Pride update and lovely photos. I can't wait for the next in your hopefully-long series of the gals we all love, but I'm partial to western girls and just love how PP looks. Can't wait for her foal and hope they will give Tiznow another try with her.

04 Sep 2010 4:31 PM
Lois

She glows with good health and is a pleasure to behold.

04 Sep 2010 5:25 PM
needler in Virginia

Thanks VERY much for the PP photos, Anne. You do lovely work, and we all appreciate your following up on our requests as to who you should look for next.

Cheers and safe trips.

04 Sep 2010 8:03 PM
Robin from Maryland

Great pics, she looks happy.  May she have no problems with this pregnancy, and have a Healthy, Happy baby who grows up to be just like momma.  Good Luck with this baby PP - you are one of a kind.

04 Sep 2010 9:31 PM
cher

What a wonderful mare!  She could sure eat my grass.  Glad she is healthy and happy.

04 Sep 2010 9:48 PM
New Orleans Lady

Thanks for the pics of Peppers Pride...she is beautiful. Mentioning that she is in foal to Distorted Humor made me think of Hystericalady...any idea how she's doing?

04 Sep 2010 9:53 PM
christy tate

she looks great. her and zenyatta are the queens of thoroughbred racing in the 21st century. it's hard for any athlete to stay undefeated. what these two mares have accomplished is awesome.

05 Sep 2010 12:44 AM
Nancy

Thank you for following up on our request for an update and pictures of Pepper's Pride!  She looks lovely, smart, savvy and happy.  Hopefully, she will have a successful birth and we can ohh and ahh over the baby pictures in February.

05 Sep 2010 1:44 AM
Bellwether

SHE STILL HA$ THE RECORD FOLK$...SHE IS A DOLL BABY!!!...LONG LIVE THE KING!!!...ty...

05 Sep 2010 6:16 AM
MRO

Oh yeah, Rags too!

05 Sep 2010 1:22 PM
peppers19

Thanks for the wonderful update on Peppers Pride. Happy to know she is loved by so many:)

She is New Mexico's Gem.

I can't wait for some Distorted Pride or maybe a Little Peppers Humor.

06 Sep 2010 12:44 AM
BK1

Wow - what a beauty! She just glows. Thanks for the beautiful photos. It's so nice to get some news on the mares; sometimes it's so hard to find out where they are, etc. Does anyone know anything about Black Mamba?

06 Sep 2010 11:53 AM
Golden Gate

Thank you for the update. I am so sorry she lost her first foal but prayers go up this one will make it.

06 Sep 2010 6:39 PM
Carolyn in ND

Thanks for the update!!  She looks wonderful!  Wish there were an update on all the retired racers.  One for the males & one for the females.

07 Sep 2010 10:32 AM
Anne Eberhardt Keogh

Thanks for your wonderful comments.Peppers Pride is one of so many special mares.  I called Taylor Made and "YES" they do give tours. Call them at 859 885 3345 and they will set up an appointment for you.

07 Sep 2010 10:35 AM
Slew

"I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Demille."  Thank you so much.  Peppers Pride looks absolutely beautiful, and it's so nice to know so many really do care.

07 Sep 2010 11:14 AM
sweet terchi

My word, she looks so relaxed and full of herself! What a eyecatcher.. thanks for the update and photos!! :) :)

07 Sep 2010 6:07 PM
Bellwether

ty...WE NEED EXPOSURE...HELL OF A RACE HORSE ANY WAY U SLICE IT...

08 Sep 2010 5:33 AM
racingheart

Stunning! She is such a beautiful mare & definitely aware of her high status, isn't she? I pray for her & her foal's health & safety. Thank you for the gift of these photos & for the info on their tours. I would love to see the reigning queen!

Blessings, Pepper.

08 Sep 2010 12:29 PM
spitting the bit

Thanks for the article and photos of one of my favorites--Peppers Pride.  I was sorry she lost the Tiznow foal, hope she carries the Distorted Humor to full term.  I would like to see her go to Alex next.  And I like all of the name selections: Distorted Peppers, Peppers Humor...lots of choices!  I was hoping for a Tiz Peppers, but alas, maybe next an Alex Peppers or Alex's Pride and so on.  Keep on being beautiful girl!!

08 Sep 2010 12:34 PM
draynay

Pepper's Pride my favorite horse to bash outside of Zenyatta.

Question: What do Pepper's Pride and Zenyatta have in common besides long winning streaks?

Answer: Both are one trick State ponies.

09 Sep 2010 2:58 PM
Backside Sweetie

Thanks Anne for the great photos of Pepper.I admire your work as it depicts your love of the horse.It takes a special person to capture their beauty and personality and you are one that does.Pepper has been a favorite of mine for some time as is Zenyatta they are both very special horses!And to Draynay,have you ever even been around a horse or watched or followed any other sports?Do you realize how difficult it is to win 18 or 19 in a row of anything,whether it be in one state or 50?Thanks again Anne for remembering the horses that have given their fans so many enjoyable memories,God bless you!

09 Sep 2010 7:58 PM
mglynn

What a Beauty! Draynay, excellence should be appreciated in whatever State you find it! If Zenyatta is a one trick pony I will load her on my trailer any day of the week.

Anne You are so gifted in capturing the soul of your subjects Well done!

10 Sep 2010 10:27 AM
gammyp6

Time for an "Ignore Draynay Alert"!

11 Sep 2010 9:08 PM
EasyGoerForever

Great photos.

How about some of My Flag and Personal Ensign now that she's retired?

I'd also LOVE to see how In Anticipation is doing.

Thanks.

18 Sep 2010 6:49 PM
Lee

EasyGoerForever, Personal Ensign died in April 2010.

Love seeing Pepper's Pride, always tough to keep up with retired mares.

29 Sep 2010 5:24 PM
Karen M., Chicago

I had the pleasure of "meeting" Pepper's Pride at Richland Farms. She is beautiful, regal, friendly and knew exactly how special she is. Wishing Pepper's Pride and her connections at Taylor Made all life's best. I feel like we should throw a baby shower for her!!!

22 Oct 2010 11:39 AM
Savanna

I'm excited to see Peppy's foal. Too bad she aborted the foal form Tiznow.

03 Jan 2011 8:43 PM
Peppers 19

Hey fans of Peppers Pride.

Peppers Pride has a fan page on face book. Search Peppers Pride

public figure.

23 Jan 2011 3:31 AM
THE FARMERS

good to hear how the little girl is doing and can't wait to see the new one comung...

27 Jan 2011 3:34 PM
Criminal Type

Gailg,I could't find any information on Ventura or Music Note, although since she is owned by Darley, I'm guessing she was bred to ome of their stallions. I think I heard Street Cry was her first breeding, nothing on Proud Spell either. Ginger Punch is now in Japan, so I sadly doubt we will get much if any information about her foals. Honey Ryder has an 09 Giants Causeway colt named Oddjob. Riskaverse has an 08 Sadlers Wells colt named Sadlers Risk and an 09 Galileo filly named Pink Damsel.

21 Feb 2011 11:55 AM
Sally

Did Peppeers Pride drop her foal on Feb.27 as predicted?  Haven't seen anything about her. Hope all goes well with her. She is such a great mare.

28 Mar 2011 3:14 PM