I'll Take the Blame

Blame, winner of the Whitney Handicap (gr. I) in his most recent stakes race, returned home to his barn at Keeneland in Lexington, Ky., after traveling and spending the summer in Saratoga.
Blame 1
Order this Photo.

Blame has been under the care of Glenn Brookfield at Keeneland since he was two. “He thinks he owns the place,” said Brookfield, assistant trainer to Al Stall, Jr. “He stands there and begs for mints. He is quite the schmoozer.”
Blame gets Mint
Order this Photo.

With exercise rider Casey Chavez up, Blame worked five furlongs on Sunday, Sept. 5 at Keeneland, in a sharp 1:00 1/5. He looked good on the track and his connections seemed pleased.
Blame works.
Order this Photo.

Back at his barn Blame received mints while walking the shedrow and after his bath. Blame’s hotwalker talked to him and rubbed on the colt’s nose as he posed for photos after his bath. Blame seemed to love the attention, even during his bath.
Blame Bath
Order this Photo.

Blame Rinse
Order this Photo.

The 4-year-old’s next scheduled appearance is the Oct. 2 Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I) at Belmont Park. A major contender for champion older male, Blame is owned by Adele Dilschneider and Claiborne Farm.

Click here to view more photos of Blame.

sodapopkid

Big fan of Zenyatta's but I love that Blame too.  I love the Closers.

10 Sep 2010 11:18 AM
Rachel

He's made me a traitor to QR...LOL

10 Sep 2010 11:32 AM
GoldenBroom

Ok, team Z checking in here but he sure is a nice looking horse...pretty little bit of a dished face. If Queen Z doesn't repeat, as long as this guy takes down Quality Road again I won't cry...too hard! Thanks for the pictures!

10 Sep 2010 11:32 AM
C.E.

What wonderful pictures of a wonderful horse. Hope he goes all the way!

10 Sep 2010 12:54 PM
Liz O'Connell

Great pictures, love to see a schmoozey colt.

10 Sep 2010 12:54 PM
Robert

I wonder if anyone has picked up on the Zenyatta--Blame connection.  If not, here it is.  Zenyatta is by a grandson of Mr. Prospector, out of a daughter of Kris S.  Blame is by a son of Kris S out of a granddaughter of Mr. Prospector.  Amazing how the pattern gets you a top horse.  With Blame only being a 4 year old, I hope they plan on running him as a 5 year old.  I really enjoy watching him run.  Zenyatta will beat him though in the Classic though.  He can win the Classic next year.

10 Sep 2010 12:57 PM
Breeder

How is it that no one has made the connection that Blame and Zenyatta are 1st cousins? Vetigineaux and Arch are sister and brother.The pedigrees are so similar that we should hardly be surprised that they run so similary.

10 Sep 2010 1:33 PM
Lindsey S

I love Blame!  He & Paddy O'Prado are my current favorite horses.  I hope they keep Paddy on the grass on Oct. 2nd, so they can both win!  He has such a pretty head with that slightly dished face.  I visited Claiborne a few weeks ago, and it sounds like Blame will be retired to stud there after this year.  Can't think of a more deserving farm than Claiborne to have such an awesome runner...during their 100th anniversary!

10 Sep 2010 2:48 PM
Flora

Wow, I did not realize that he and Zen were so closeley related! I love the Kris S. line anyway, and he is just another example of why it is so valuable in breeding - hardiness and durability along with the talent. Yes, they are usually late bloomers, but talk about worth the wait!

10 Sep 2010 4:06 PM
Tricia Smarty

I agree 100% with sodapopkid, love Zenyatta, Blame and closers of all kinds.  If Lady Z can't win, then Blame can get the job done.  I luv them both.  LADY Z ROCKS!!!

10 Sep 2010 4:29 PM
LStein

What a beautiful guy. He's gonna be a big handful for Zen to repeat but I think she has it in her with a good trip.

10 Sep 2010 5:15 PM
susan w

LIfe is Sweet is also from a Kris S mare.

10 Sep 2010 5:43 PM
sherpa

Blame's been my favorite Horse (that excludes geldings & mares, btw! lol) since he burst on the scene late last year.  Love that he was given time to mature instead of wearing him out at 2 and as a young 3yo.  His pedigree alone would probably make him a sought-after stallion (I voted for him in the TrueNicks poll); and his impressive wins & stamina will be a ton of icing on the cake.  I'd really like to see him continue in a 5yo campaign as he's the type that will keep getting stronger (imho).

WOW, Ms. Eberhardt, thanks for the great pictures and commentary.  You confirm my sense that he has a lot of personality with that talent!

10 Sep 2010 6:26 PM
txhorsefan

Wonderful photos, Anne, thank you!  He's a horse who has certainly caught my eye and it seems that he is adored by his caretaker with that look she is giving him in that first photo.  Beautiful!

10 Sep 2010 7:04 PM
ctgreyhound

It's nice to see Blame squeaky clean.  He emerges  from his races with a dirty face, as if he is incognito.  He's quite a handsome guy!  Just love this series. Always look forward to the next installment! Thanks so much.

10 Sep 2010 9:28 PM
Robin from Maryland

Neat pics.  Am a fan of Blame as well.  Didn't realize that he and Queen Z were related. But when you dig back thru all pedigrees, all TB's are descended from the 3 foundation sires - so in simple terms everybody is somehow connected.  Still waiting anxiously for the Classic, should be good.

10 Sep 2010 10:32 PM
Daniel

The Breeders Cup Classic is between Zenyatta and Blame.  Love those closers.  I think Zenyatta will prevail but Blame will make her work for this win.  Ironic that they are related.  An interesting tidbit.

10 Sep 2010 10:40 PM
Bellwether

TREET N HIM LIKE THE KING HE I$!!!...

11 Sep 2010 3:50 AM
CBH

Such a cool horse! Great bath shots, keep'em comin'.

11 Sep 2010 10:19 AM
marney

What is a dished face? Just looks like a horse face to me

11 Sep 2010 3:43 PM
kathleen o

A beauty, just like his cousin.  Someone mentioned his dishy face....I noticed that as well.  Arabian ancestors coming through.  My pet peeve has always been that they start racing at such a young age, nice to see that they waited with this awesome guy.

12 Sep 2010 10:04 AM
Ida Lee

WHAT A PRETTY BOY!!!

12 Sep 2010 10:34 AM
Freetex

What an exquisite horse.

Gotta love him.

12 Sep 2010 2:19 PM
EightBellesLover

Oh wow I never knew he was bay. He's covered in dirt everytime I see him. Anyway what a horse! He, Zenyatta, and Lucky are my picks for the classic.

12 Sep 2010 5:00 PM
Saddle57

I love the first photo. He is smiling for the camera! He is one of my favorites.

13 Sep 2010 8:16 AM
MintHillFarm

Lovely horse, I am a fan...really great shots too! Wish all of mine would let me wash their faces so easily!

13 Sep 2010 8:54 AM
Zen's Auntie

Thanks Anne what a great photo essay.  I LOVE this horse he is as tasty an equine as they come. He has a masculine face but a little Prettier thatn is dad who's nose is a tad droopier. As other folks have mentioned the Kris S / Roberto over or under Mr P is a phenotype that is easy on eyes. Though in huge physical stature, the "cousins" are agile and graceful, Heart Stopping Gut wrenching closers that LOVE to win.  God protect them all - I cant wait till November!

13 Sep 2010 10:58 AM
KAM

He sure is a gorgeous horse to look at :)  I hope Zenyatta wins the classic but if she doesn't I hope he does.  My third choice is Lucky because he is such a gutsy horse that trys his best all the time.

14 Sep 2010 9:09 PM
Ragsy

Kinda hate to see Zenyatta race her 1st cousin ( Blame ), shoot,  he might beat her..

18 Sep 2010 1:07 PM
5150

If Blame wins the Gold Cup... you can give Zenyatta a big 2nd in the Classic.  Blame will rock 10 furlongs like no other.  Churchill is his home.  They would be smart to run her in the Distaff if she wants to win HOTY.  It will be a "make up" title" unless she beats Blame in the Classic.

29 Sep 2010 8:49 PM
5150

The dishy face comes through the female family.  Try and find a picture of his mother, Liable, and Granddam, Bound.... geeze, you can probably go back to Special, his great granddam.  Is there a better bred horse on this planet? No.

29 Sep 2010 8:53 PM
sherpa

All:  if you haven't already, be sure to check out the video of Blame arriving at Belmont today (article on BH's front page).  He looks magnificent!

01 Oct 2010 8:12 PM