Stars from the Sale

Busy week for consignors, buyers, and officials at the Keeneland September yearling sale, where 4,857 yearlings are catalogued.
Two of those yearlings are by Storm Cat, who was represented by his last two yearling offspring at public auction. North America’s leading sire of sales yearlings for seven years, Storm Cat, now 27, is pensioned at Overbrook Farm near Lexington.
Storm Cat
Order this Photo.

Top price of the sale was $4.2 million for an A.P. Indy yearling out of Balance, one of the favorite mares mentioned by this blog’s readers.
Balance is owned by Mrs. Jerry Amerman and is boarded at Dr. and Mrs. John Chandler’s Mill Ridge Farm near Lexington. Photos of Balance as a broodmare are planned for next week.
Balance 1
Order this Photo.
Balance 2
Order this Photo.

From the archives: Here is a photo of Lotta Kim, dam of Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra, and taken in 2009. Owned by Dolph Morrison and boarded on Dr. Dede McGehee’s Heaven Trees Farm near Lexington. Lotta Kim is in foal to Medaglia d’Oro.
Lotta Kim
Order this Photo.

As I mentioned before I am hoping to photograph Balance as a broodmare next week and I am trying to line up a trip to see Octave as well so be sure to follow along as I catch up with some of your favorites.
Let me know what you think about the magnificent horses above that I was able to photograph and keep giving me names of new horses to try and catch up with.

Also, the World Equestrian Games are about to start here in Lexington and I will be providing behind the scenes information and photos on my blog on TheHorse.com, so be sure to check that out too!
Thanks for your support everyone!

Sammi P

I can't wait to see this pictures of Balance! She was a talanted racer and I sure hope she can make a great broodmare too.

17 Sep 2010 3:36 PM
Virgil Fox

Very nice.

Thank you Anne.

17 Sep 2010 6:59 PM
Checkers

You should vist Medaglia d'Oro, after all he is the Sire of Rachel Alexandra 2009 horse of the Year

17 Sep 2010 7:10 PM
sherpa

awww, darling old Storm Cat.  His retirement is like the end of an Era. I'm rooting for these last ones to do him proud!

From the pictures I've seen, Balance's $4.2 mill yearling is one gorgeous dude.  I sure hope his new connections will take plenty of time with him...looks like he might grow a big as his Auntie Z.

I've never seen a picture of Vertigineux.  Does Balance look like her?  I think Zennie favors her damsire, Kris S.

Thanks for the picture of Lotta Kim, too.  She's so pretty, and has a sweet eye.

Can't wait to see your pictures at the World Equestrian Games!  Wishing I could be there, but your photos will be next-best. :-)

17 Sep 2010 7:39 PM
Brenda W

Keep the great photos coming!! I always love to keep up on who's in foal with whom and any pictures having to do with these magnificent creatures!!

18 Sep 2010 1:20 AM
Afleet Treet

Ann,

LOVE your photos! I LOVE OCTAVE!!! Also loved Wait A While, Sweet Catomine, and Summerly. Do you know where they are? Would LOVE to see them again if you ever catch up to them! I could list a gazillion mares I would love to see as well...Round Pond...Splndid Blended...Smiuggler...Fleet Indian...and on and on and on...we would BOTH be here for days if I keep going. PLEASE keep us posted as we anxiously await your wonderful pics! Balance is such a cutie!

18 Sep 2010 3:18 AM
smartysgal

Was the photo underneath Balance breaking from the gate her A P Indy yearling?  If so, what a handsome looking guy.

18 Sep 2010 6:42 AM
Mr.Cary Stokes

Would love to see broodmare pictures of River's Prayer and any foal photo's as well ,I think she is the property of Mr.Jesse Jackson.            thanks , Cary Stokes.

18 Sep 2010 8:48 AM
Bellwether

"THE GAME" BETTER GET READY FORE SOME BIG CHANGE$...THE MORE THEY CLAMP DOWN ON THE DRUG$ & CHEATER$ THE BETTER CHANCE THE LITTLE GUY HA$(BETTOR$ & OWNER$)...N THE OLD DAY$ A LITTLE GUY COULDN'T EVEN OWN A T-BRED AS IT WAS AGAINST THE LAW!!!...PLEA$E...LONG LIVE THE EART...FORE HORSES TO FLY ON!!!...ty...

18 Sep 2010 9:16 AM
Joanne

thought it was pix of stars of the sale.

18 Sep 2010 12:11 PM
Tammy K

Would love to see how Rags To Riches is doing these days!

18 Sep 2010 12:58 PM
Gulchfan

As you might expect from my screen name, I'm looking forward to seeing photos of Balance and I'm very proud of the way her colt behaved himself in the sales ring.  Can't wait to see him race!

18 Sep 2010 3:32 PM
Rachel

Honey Ryder

Rags To Riches

Xtra Heat

18 Sep 2010 7:40 PM
New Orleans Lady

Thanks for the pics, especially the one of Storm Cat. He is such an amazing horse. I can't help but wonder if he misses his former daily routine - he may be retired but he ain't dead. Also, interesting to know that Lotta Kim is in foal again to Medalgia d'Oro. They made such a distinctly exotic beautiful filly in Rachel Alexandra.  And speaking of Storm Cat, I would love to see pics of Sweet Catomine if she is in your neck of the woods.  Megahertz is another favorite of mine. It would just be so nice to know how they are and what they are doing. But any pics you provide are truly appreciated. Thankyou.

18 Sep 2010 10:52 PM
Andrew in Alaska

anne! I wonder if you can find out what happened to Kantharos the colt that fractured its leg on a work out late Aug..I can't get any one to come forward an tell us what happened to this wonderful colt...its funny that SpendStreet farms has no phone number or Jess Jackson...Much appreciated if you can let me know what you find out...

19 Sep 2010 1:37 AM
Southern Chris

Great photos! So weird that this is Storm Cat's final crop.

19 Sep 2010 1:52 AM
The Bid

Smart Strike, Street Cry and Afleet Alex...Very active and STILL very Relevant sires!!!!

19 Sep 2010 2:18 AM
Linda in Texas

Thank you Anne for all of your photographs, it is wonderful to be able to see the beautiful horses up so close. And you simply are the best at what has chosen you to do so splendidly.

I will be scrolling down a bit more from now on in hopes of catching more glimpses of your friends.

I wonder does Lotta Kim have any idea of how famous her daughter is?

19 Sep 2010 9:52 AM
Jacob

Would love to see some photos of Rags to Riches. Loved her when she was running.

19 Sep 2010 11:23 AM
skyfire

I would love to see Silverbulletday, Wait a While and Fleet Indian.  Thanks!

19 Sep 2010 8:30 PM
Darla

Lotta Kim  bred back to Medaglia d' Oro......my favorite stallion!!  Look forward to this foal!!

19 Sep 2010 8:33 PM
Abbie Knowles

Fantastic photos.  Loved them all but particularly the one of Storm Cat!

I love the A P Indy - Balance colt and hope he becomes a real superstar.  But also that he is given plenty of time to mature because A P Indy's progeny are not always that precocious and of course Zenyatta needed time - and plenty of it!

Like Zenyatta he looks big and strong but in need of patience and skilled handling to develop his potential to the full.  But he is in good hands with Todd Pletcher and his team who know about A P Indy's progeny through the likes of Rags to Riches - they will also of course have followed Zenyatta's career with interest!

The very best of good fortune to all concerned with the colt.

God Bless you and all on this blogsite and at The Bloodhorse.

Best wishes

Abbie

19 Sep 2010 10:25 PM
Karen

Love the photo of Storm Cat.  I realize that his days as a thoroughbred sire are over, but I would love to see photos of any of his Quarter Horse foals.

Three Bars had such an enormous enfluence on Quarter Horses, it would be great to see photose of some of the offspring of the various Thoroughbred sires that have made themselves available as an outcross.

20 Sep 2010 10:21 AM
Criminal Type

Pussycat Doll

Regal Miss Copelan (she has a great face)

Country Star

Cry And Catch Me

Ginger Punch

Indian Blessing

Maryfield

Proud Spell

Backseat Rhythm

My Typhoon

Asi Siempre

Cotton Blossom

Mauralukana

Ouija Board

Dreaming Of Anna

Folklore

You (She is such a pretty mare)

Intercontinental

Halfbridled

Round Pond

Banks Hill

I could go on and on with mares I would like to see. Any of these would be a treat.

21 Sep 2010 9:54 AM
Criminal Type

Please ! If you have any pic's of the Hard Spuns from the sale....I would love to see them. The one's I've seen have really had his stamp on them. He is going to be a great sire. I saw Nicoma bought one, I know they are agents for the Jacksons's and was wondering if they are getting the Hard Spun colt as well. I think they should breed LVR to him.

21 Sep 2010 10:05 AM
erin m.

hope the this baby survives. rachel had a brother by the name of Empire Ruler  by Empire Maker that had to be euthanized due to wobblers syndrome

16 Dec 2010 12:45 PM
Savanna

How about visiting Street Sense. I always loved this horse.

26 Jan 2011 6:57 PM
catman

i cant find pictures of storm cat as a foal.any suggestions?

29 Mar 2011 4:06 PM