The Beautiful Balance

Balance won five stakes including three grade I races—the Santa Anita Oaks, Las Virgenes Stakes, and Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap. Raced by John and Jerry Amerman, she was trained by David Hofmanns.
Balance 1
Order this Photo.

A millionaire, Balance was retired in November of 2007 as a 4-year-old to Dr. and Mrs. John Chandler’s Mill Ridge Farm near Lexington, Ky.
By Kentucky Derby winner Thunder Gulch and produced from the 2008 Broodmare of the Year Vertigineux by Kris S., Balance is a half-sister to Zenyatta.
Balance 2
Order this Photo.

Juan Gonzalez handles Balance at the Poplar Grove division of Mill Ridge. “Balance is the leader,” said Gonzalez. “The other mares knew something was up when I got her ready today. She is a nice mare.”
Balance 3
Order this Photo.

The first foal produced from Balance, an A.P. Indy colt, became the highest priced yearling of the 2010 Keeneland September yearling sale when the bay colt brought $4.2 million. Balance produced a chestnut Street Cry colt on Jan. 25, 2010, and presently is in foal to Street Cry on a March 24 cover.
Balance 4
Order this Photo.

Let me know what you guys think of the beautiful Balance. Also, for my next entry I will be paying a visit to a filly I know you will all be excited to see. (A large group of you at least based on your previous comments. Hint. Hint.)

dinkydiva

Her and Zen have the same eyes.  Balance is a beautiful mare and wow, if her A.P.Indy colt went for 4.2 just think what her foals will go for from Street Cry!  Mind boggling to think about it!  But, her yearling that sold, he's very well balanced and beautiful to look at.

I really liked the head on shot, she looked almost like shiny chocolate!  Thanks

Hmmm, maybe your next visit will be with Rags?? :)

27 Sep 2010 6:58 PM
will

Anne,

Thank you so much for this update.  She is indeed a beautiful, proud girl

27 Sep 2010 7:12 PM
sherpa

ohhh, thank you for Balance!  Doesn't she have the most perfect head and face?!  Such a beauty!

Odd to think she is just 7 - one year older than Zen - and is already working on her 3rd foal.  Looks like another big 'un is brewing in there. Is the January Street Cry colt still at Mill Ridge?

27 Sep 2010 7:25 PM
Ofelia

What a lovely mare! She wears her name well.

27 Sep 2010 8:14 PM
Sammi P

Thank you so much for this!

She really is a looker in her own right. And being a leader? Well that just runs in the family it seems like! Lol I can't wait to see her foals start racing and wish her the best of luck as a broodmare.

Thank you so much again for doing this!!

27 Sep 2010 8:40 PM
anna

if you going to visit octave, then please take some pictures of ashado as well? since she deserves to be photographed and i know that some of her fans want to know how she's doing as a mother now.

27 Sep 2010 9:16 PM
Fuzzy Corgi

Thank you for the gorgeous pictures of Balance. She has always been one of my favorites to watch while running and it's great to see her doing so well at her broodmare career. I've always been a sucker for a bay with a little bit of white on their face so of course I had to follow her career. That she became a multiple graded stakes winner didn't hurt either!

27 Sep 2010 9:20 PM
amy

beautiful mare   Thank you for the pics and the updates

27 Sep 2010 10:15 PM
needler in Virginia

Talk about a perfect name! Balance is NOTHING if not balanced. KInd eye, beautiful proportions, great shoulder and a motor that's built for speed....... (OR as my grandfather would say "look at the butt on that broad"........PLEASE, take no offense) what more can you ask for??

Lovely, lovely, lovely and I don't even LIKE bays!

Cheers, safe trips and a strong, healthy foal to the  glowing mother.

27 Sep 2010 11:36 PM
Nancy

Anne - Thank you for the Update and pictures of Balance!  She was a wonderful filly on the track.  She has such a kind eye and smiling face.

I'm looking forward to seeing her babies on the track and in The Blood-Horse - may the Racing Gods be kind to them.

27 Sep 2010 11:50 PM
Dawn in MN

Someone once said that our animals have three names, the registered/official name, the name we actually call them, and the one we will never know - the one that they think of as their name.

Beautiful pictures Anne.

Beautiful mare Juan, you do a great job with her.  I am always very interested in what the people who are with the horse day-to-day have to say.  Juan knows Balance and if he says she is nice, he is truly qualified to make the call.  I wonder what her her barn name is?  I would love to know what Juan calls her.  You are both very fortunate to have spent time in the company of great Thoroughbreds.  I especially loved the final picture of Balance trotting.

28 Sep 2010 6:01 AM
Phil F

Always was and still is a beautiful animal. She will produce many nice foals.

28 Sep 2010 7:00 AM
gailg

Balance looks spectacular! She has a beautiful head. Can't wait to see what her offspring from Street Cry do! So glad some of these great mares are getting some attention after their racing days are over. They deserve to have the spotlight on them after all they accomplished.

28 Sep 2010 7:16 AM
candace bolling

i remember watching the beautiful balance run.  she was one of my favorites. she is gorgeous.  it was great to see her colt bring the highest price at the keenland yearling sale!  go balance!!

28 Sep 2010 8:15 AM
Darla Burton

Gorgeous horse.....She wears her name proudly!!!

28 Sep 2010 8:36 AM
Susan

Great photos!  I'd like to see some pictures of her babies.

28 Sep 2010 9:11 AM
KMAUER

I love her headshot what a beautiful mare! To bad she usually takes a backseat to Zenyatta these days.

28 Sep 2010 10:57 AM
Bellwether

NICE...

28 Sep 2010 11:29 AM
easygoer

Isn't she lovely!!!?? I always wondered what Balance looked like, so thank you for looking in on her! I just love this section! So often the mares disappear from our radar after they retire. Thank you for visiting them and allowing us to ride along with you!

28 Sep 2010 2:04 PM
sweet terchi

Beautiful! Thanks for the update, she still can turn heads!

28 Sep 2010 6:28 PM
Barb

She truly is a beautiful mare and her name fits her to a te.

I'm off tomorrow to see her half sister run this week-end.

29 Sep 2010 2:29 AM
Bellwether

ITS REEL GOOD EXPOSURE FORE "THE GAME" TO KEEP UP WITH OUR PRESENT & RETIRED RACE HORSE $TARS...WONDER WHERE REAL QUIET WILL B BURIED???...MIKE HAD A HELL OF A RIDE WITH THAT GUY...LONG LIVE THE KING!!!...ty...

29 Sep 2010 4:12 AM
Lee

Love to see the mares after they retire. Stallions are a lot easier to find out about. Balance is just gorgeous.

29 Sep 2010 5:20 PM
Saddle57

She is one beautiful horse!

01 Oct 2010 1:22 PM
sherpa

Ms. Eberhardt - I have a huge favor to ask.  Princequillo was being discussed in the True Nicks blog a few days ago and it gave me an opening to ask about one of his gr-gr-grandsons, Lord Avie, sire of the wonderful 10yo champion stayer, Cloudy's Knight.  Lord Avie stood at Lane's End and was pensioned there in 2002.  The assumption is that he's still alive at the amazing age of *32*, as no one can find a mention of his death.  Next time you're at Lane's End (after WEG, of course), could you please ask about him and perhaps get a photo?

Thank you for this great blog and for patiently considering all our requests!

01 Oct 2010 8:07 PM
Savanna

Must be Zenyatta. Thank you for Balnce I love this mare. I would love to see some photos of Street Sense as a stallion.

26 Jan 2011 7:03 PM