New Careers for Big Stars

Racing is close to finishing up for the year. Lots of potential broodmares and stallions are retiring to start new careers. After a quick break for Thanksgiving, I went to Churchill for the Clark Handicap and for likely my last day of racing this year.

Other recent and ongoing assignments have included a New Sires feature in the December 11 issue of The Blood-Horse. I spent a day with Classic winner Blame photographing his routine and meeting his handlers, a fantastic group of guys at Claiborne Farm. They all agreed that Blame is one of the more laid-back newcomers and he has settled in nicely. He loves peppermints and a bag is in his tack box on the wall beside his stall. Be sure you check out this spectacular Blame slideshow.
 Blame
Order this Photo.

I photographed Quality Road during a stallion show at Lane’s End. He has settled in well and also enjoys his peppermints too!
Quality Road
Order this Photo.

Others in the New Sires feature will be Lookin At Lucky, Eskendereya, and Super Saver, whom I’ll photograph this week.

Foxhunting has officially begun across the country with Blessings and meets in full swing. Many retired Thoroughbreds make up the hunt fields.

Order this Photo.

Order this Photo.

And upcoming is the arrival of Zenyatta into Lexington, Ky., where she will parade at Keeneland for the fans and media before vanning over to her new home at Lane’s End Farm in Versailles. Fans of Zenyatta can view websites Zenyatta.com and LanesEnd.com for updates on the great mare and Bloodhorse.com will keep you updated as well.

View more photos of Blame.

View more photos of Quality Road.

View more photos of Zenyatta.

View more photos of Lookin At Lucky.

View more photos of Eskendereya.

View more photos of Super Saver.

CBH

Anne,

Great shot of Quality Road! Keep up the good work!

03 Dec 2010 6:11 PM
Southern Chris

Quality Road looks awesome!

03 Dec 2010 6:36 PM
annie

Loved the shots of the foxhunt.

03 Dec 2010 6:42 PM
txhorsefan

Thanks for the great photos of Blame and Quality Road.  I love the foxhunting photos, too, so I appreciate your sharing those as well.  It would be so great if more folks would realize that these great TBs can enjoy another career besides racing or breeding.

03 Dec 2010 6:55 PM
MP

Thoroughbreds have always been one of the most athletic and versatile breeds.  Everybody should know this as fact!

03 Dec 2010 8:46 PM
Lisa

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of Blame and Quality Road. Who are the horses in the foxhunting photos? I would love to see any pictures of the retirees at Claiborne or any other farm. I am still amazed and saddened by all the retirements this year. You are very lucky to have such a job.

05 Dec 2010 12:54 AM
apajax6

Quality Road is the most handsome. :)

05 Dec 2010 8:30 AM
M

Quality Road is such a gorgeous boy...I love his eyes...I wonder if they get bored the first few weeks....such a change in routine!

05 Dec 2010 11:34 AM
NEWORLEANSLUV8BELLES

If there was an Eclipse Award for Mosts Beautiful, it would inarguably go to Quality Road. If he were human, he would the typical teenage bad boy or rockstar. There should be a People's Choice Award for fan favorites in the Eclipse Awards. And speaking of such beauty, how 'bout some pics of the broodmares, present and incoming? The most recent being Rachel Alexandra and wondering where she's at and what she's doing? Also, Sweet Catomine and Megahertz.

05 Dec 2010 12:09 PM
Linda in Texas

Anne, as always your photos are perfection caught in the act!

Especially fond of your Nov. 1 and November 20 photos of Blame. Of course the one in his paddock with his tail fluttering was pretty neat. He was poising in flight for sure.

And Quality Road, a favorite thru his career, the good and the unexpected with him. I just like him.

The fox hunt photos were colorful and i love the dogs also.

Thank you.

06 Dec 2010 10:42 AM
Sunny Farm

Beautiful photographs Anne !!!

BLAME & QUALITY ROAD are exciting stallions ! I look forward to looking at all the other photos & stallions just as soon as possible, I love your photography, do you use a digital or 35mm for such clear pictures and bold color ? Nice work, you have a great eye !

06 Dec 2010 11:29 AM
anne eberhardt keogh

Thanks for all your comments. I use a Nikon D3 and Nikon D700 digital SLR camera bodies. I'm here at Keeneland waiting for Zenyatta's arrival. Her flight was delayed and she should be arriving about 6 pm. It will be great to see her one more time in 2010!

06 Dec 2010 4:14 PM
thederbydream.com

Anne,

Great photos as always, so enjoy your work. I braved the cold as well to see the Great Z and the crowd was fantastic. Did shoot some video and have it up at

http://www.thederbydream.com/ if you and followers would like to see. Thanks Mark

06 Dec 2010 8:30 PM
Bleak Gray

Anne,

As always amazing photos, I love to cruise your blog and spy on retired champions.  Can't wait to see photos from you of Zenyatta settled into Lane's End.  Might you be able to spy some photos of the admirable Rachel Alexandra sometime soon?   Looking forward to the new stud photos and can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve!

07 Dec 2010 7:30 PM
Sharon

Thank you for the wonderful photo of beautiful Quality Road!  Oh, he is soo beautiful!

08 Dec 2010 6:17 PM
annie

Linda in TEXAS. Fox hounds are not called DOGS.

10 Dec 2010 8:38 AM
skyfire

Anne, you are a wonderful artist!!

QR is drop dead gorgeous -- I hope he is successful at stud; I though Smarty, another Elusive Q, would be  top sire, but he really hasn't come through.

11 Dec 2010 5:14 PM
Slew

Beautiful photos.  I still think QR is in dire need of a haircut though...at least a forelock trim.  I love when the Arabian ancestry shows through as Blame's tail arches regally.  What a stunning photo!

13 Dec 2010 8:11 AM
RachelFan

We have several retired TBs at my lesson barn (where I occasionaly work). We have Gadget, I can't remember his racing name, it had nothing to do with Gadget, I believe he raced at the Fair grounds and won several races, we have Pistol(my favorite) he's a big(17+ hh) grey, I don't know anything about his racing career, I know he was good, but he lost interest after 2 or 3 starts. We have Sonny Boy(ex steeplechaser he was apparently REALLY good, someone told me he won the biggest steeplechase in America, he's older now), we have Conner, Woody, FC?, Max?,and Dash (Party Time Planner he's a QH racer he apparently won like 2 of 3 because he's so evil he would chase the others lol) and I think that's it, FC and Max are maybes, I believe FC has laminitis, he finally had to be retired this year. They are all big sweethearts, and all except Connor and Woody are comfortable and great jumpers. Connor is an OK jumper, and I dont know about Woody, but anyways great pictures as always, I love QR's forelock, he is soooo handsome, can't wait to see pix on Lucky and Rachel :)

20 Jan 2011 5:48 PM
Gloria Jeanne

Have you had a chance to photograph Eskendereya yet? Has he started as a Stallion yet?  Hope he's doing ok.

15 Mar 2011 6:38 PM