Zenyatta Has Visitors

Zenyatta’s California connections came to visit on Dec. 20 at Lane’s End Farm near Versailles, Ky.

Zenyatta responded to all of her visitors and especially groom Mario Espinoza and trainer John Shirreffs who spent so much time with the champion during her racing career. Zenyatta buddied right up to Espinoza and rubbed her head on him when he came to her stall.

Also onhand from California were owners Ann and Jerry Moss, Dottie Ingordo-Shirreffs (the Mosses’ racing manager), and hotwalker Carmen Zamona.

Zenyatta walked in her paddock checking out her surroundings--fresh hay, her waterer, and her visitors. After a while she kicked up her heels and went for a run across her paddock.

Safety measures were top priority with Lane’s End farm personnel who were stationed around the inside of the paddock. The paddock surface had been groomed for safe footing after recent snow and rain fall and her waterer had a protective cover around it.

Before returning to her stall, Zenyatta enjoyed mints and carrots with her California visitors. Lane’s End personnel noted that Zenyatta has adapted easily to her new routine and loves her treats which also include bananas and yams.

The industry was blessed with two incredible race mares in Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra. Correspondence with Rachel Alexandra connections for a possible visit are underway.

Happy New Years to all. Enjoy the new photos and be sure to let me know what you guys think. Also, keep coming with the suggestions for who I should visit in the coming year. Thanks everybody. And a very big thank you to Lane's End Farm!

Mario Espinoza and Carmen Zamona up close with Zenyatta.
Order this Photo
Order this Photo.
Trainer John Shirreffs, camera in hand, visits with Zenyatta.
Order this Photo
Order this Photo.
Ann and Jerry Moss share a moment and a mint with Zenyatta.
Order this Photo
Order this Photo.
Queen Z looking good.
Order this Photo
Order this Photo.
Zenyatta, running around the paddock.
Order this Photo
Order this Photo.
Carmen Zamona gives Zenyatta carrots as Ann Moss and Mario Espinoza look on.
Order this Photo
Order this Photo.

If you would like to see more photos from my most recent visit with Zenyatta view the full slideshow.

We also had our Blood-Horse videographer on site to capture the scene and he was able to put a great video together afterward and I have embedded it below for your enjoyment. It is well worth the watch.

[brightcove videoid="719312513001"]

M-D

To repeat:

Zenyatta is (already) a completely...different horse: level-headed, relaxed, & trusting.

Life on a farm...apparently very much agrees with her :)

It was thrilling to watch her kick out & romp around the paddock...& whinny, nicker, & otherwise express her...joie de vivre :)

So happy she got to see Mrs. Moss, Mario, Carmen, & Mr. Shirrefs--& to hear their voices.

These are truly...good tidings of great joy!

22 Dec 2010 11:35 AM
Susie

Thank you so much for the pictures, video, and story.  What a great Christmas gift!  It's so sweet how Team Z came out to watch her first turn out.  What a thrill to see her whinny, buck and run with that tail straight up!

22 Dec 2010 11:41 AM
Karen

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Best Christmas present you could have given me!

22 Dec 2010 11:42 AM
Michelle

Thanks so much for keeping us updated and showing the pictures and especially the video.  She is obviously very very happy and loving romping around her paddock.  Lane's End is a class act just like the Zenyatta connections so I have no worries about her care.  With so much interest in her you might want to consider a picture book or DVD of Zenyatta.

22 Dec 2010 11:49 AM
Virgil Fox

Looking Good is Right!

Thanks Anne.

- Peace

22 Dec 2010 11:57 AM
Paul

Zenyatta is simply "breathtaking" Forget about HOY. Zenyatta is Horse of a Lifetime!

22 Dec 2010 12:12 PM
Criminal Type

That's what she should be doing, Enjoying just being a horse. She looks spectacular and apparently feels so, as well.

22 Dec 2010 12:16 PM
Sam

How gorgeous! I miss Zenyatta so much. It was great to see her gallop around the paddock. Seeing Mario lead her around was like the perfect flashback, and she even showed off her patented dance moves. I just wish Mike Smith had been there too. Maybe he will take some time off and see her sometime soon? That would be amazing. Thank you so much for posting the video!

22 Dec 2010 12:24 PM
Love 'em all

There really is a Santa, folks!

Zenyatta's surprise visit from her loving CA folks ... hosted by all her new loving KY folks prove it!

Have spent the day enjoying this holiday treat from all those great folks at Blood-Horse.  Thank you all so much.

Seeing Zenyatta looking the happiest ever ... running free ... with no plugs in her ears ... has made this the best present one could ask for.  Again, thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

22 Dec 2010 12:49 PM
Vesna

In the coming year, you should visit Zenyatta again.

She is the most charismatic horse I've ever seen.  Splendid on the race track, beautiful to look at, joy to watch.

Horse of the lifetime!

Thank you.

22 Dec 2010 1:04 PM
Robert

I am glad to see Zenyatta relaxing and running and her coat is still all dappled out.  I am even more glad that Her groom and hot walker were invited to come see her.  Many trainers and owners will tell you that the groom has a lot to do with how the horse will act.  Zenyatta seemed to relax immediately when her groom came to her.  The farm hand seems to also have a good hand with her.  Kudos to the Mosses for bringing the groom and hot walker with them.  They truely are a class act.

22 Dec 2010 1:04 PM
Zemonized

An early Christmas present from Team Z, Lane's End, Bloodhorse and of course ZENYATTA. . . . . JOY TO THE WORLD!!  I don't know if Z  gets angry but I can't remember EVER seeing a photo or seeing her live on camera in her racing career with her ears pinned back.  She is always looking around in awareness with a "What's Next"? attitude.  A lesson there for all of us. . .SHE IS SIMPLY AMAZING!  Thanks again to All for sharing the Gift of Zenyatta with us.  Merry Christmas.

22 Dec 2010 1:11 PM
Judy G Loves Zenyatta/California

OMG! I didn't think it possible to fall in LOVE with Zenny any deeper, but after her retirement photos and videos hit the internet ~ she capture my heart more!!

The Shirreffs and Mosses were always gracious to me and my friends whenever we paid a visit to Queen Z. Thank you, Team Zenyatta for continuing to "share" Zenny with us! XO

22 Dec 2010 1:12 PM
Kiyoko

Thank you for the wonderful pictures! And as a suggestion for who to visit next year - one of my personal favorite horses was the absolutely beautiful gray gelding With Anticipation.  I haven't heard anything at all about him since his retirement, so it would be awesome to see how he's been doing!

22 Dec 2010 1:23 PM
lisa J

Sensational video. So much fun to watch her having fun, running and bucking...and the photo's are beautiful too. She exudes happiness and contentment. wonderful.

22 Dec 2010 1:23 PM
Zookeeper

Thank you Anne for the beautiful photos. Thank you BH for posting them and also for the video of Zenyatta's first taste of freedom.

Thank you Lane's End and Jerry & Ann Moss for letting us in on the big day. This was the BEST Christmas present for us fans!!!

To see Zenyatta so happy, to hear her squeal for joy, as she gallops through her paddock with her giant strides, was pure delight.

By letting her go and allowing her to be a horse, her connections have proven their true love for this magnificent mare.

My heart is bursting and once again my cup runneth over just at the sight of her. I love her so...

M-D,

Did you read the essay by Abigail Anderson on Steve Haskin's blog? If you have, I know you loved it; if you haven't, a real gem is waiting for you. :)

22 Dec 2010 1:28 PM
Zen's Auntie

What a nice gift the video is to all her devoted fans.  She looks amazing and seems so well adjusted.  Nice Job Lanes End.

22 Dec 2010 1:30 PM
GJU

LOVE your photos and I'm so grateful for any and all updates we fans receive regarding Zenyatta. On the video I watched where she is standing and walking a bit with Mario, I just get tears in my eyes. She looks like she's doing wonderfully and I can't think of another horse who deserves being happy more than Zenyatta. Loved seeing her California connections with her too for the "big event". Thanks again for the wonderful pictures. The subject is awesome!

22 Dec 2010 1:39 PM
M-D

Zookeeper...thank you so much for the reminder (No: I have not yet read the Aderson piece).

You have thoroughly piqued my curiosity &...I am off to the races (to read it) :)

22 Dec 2010 2:15 PM
Jean Lubin, Equine Artist

Thanks you Anne, The Blood Horse, and everyone involved in the video production.

Guess I was not alone with tears in my eyes watching the video (and very appropriate, soft background music.)  So wonderful to see Zenyatta with all her "family" together again.

Thanks

22 Dec 2010 3:29 PM
Dawn Deems

Zenyatta looks so happy!  A big Thank You to Lane's End Farm, Blood-horse, the Mosses, John, Mario and Carmen.

22 Dec 2010 3:53 PM
DinkyDiva

Wonderful Pics and the Video was magnificent!  I loved seeing her and Mario.. It was so cute,he was scratching her shoulder and she rubbed his shoulders.. LOL

Lane's End has put all of our concerns to rest.  They are doing such a wonderful job with adjusting Zen to her new life and making sure every precaution is measured.  I'm also so happy that her family was there to share in this "Moment!"  Too bad Mike and Stever weren't there.

All I can say, is Thank You Bloodhorse and to Anne for the photos!  What a wonderful Christmas Gift for the fans! Love it!!!

22 Dec 2010 3:54 PM
Susan

Thank you so much for the nice Christmas present! These photos are fabulous. I especially love the one with Mario and Carmen...it really depicts the love they all have for each other.

The Queen looks healthy and happy!

22 Dec 2010 3:55 PM
LeeAnne

Thank you!

Love the photos, especially with Mario and Carmen.

Love the video, have watched it half a dozen times and cry each time.

Love the access that the public has been given to Zenyatta during her racing days and retirement.

I sure wish we were allowed more contact with other horses. Even if it is pictures and videos and not personal visits the public needs to be given more access to the horses themselves and not just the race replays.

Would love to have updates on:

Lava Man, The Tin Man, Chelokee, Rags to Riches, Summer Bird, Well Armed, Dreaming of Anna, Silverbulletday and Ginger Punch

22 Dec 2010 3:56 PM
Zookeeper

LeeAnne,

Here's a link to Barbara Livingston's blog and photos of The Tin Man:

drf.com/.../catching-tin-man

Enjoy!

22 Dec 2010 4:12 PM
Jenna M

Best Christmas gift ever...for her! Perfect health,  happiness, and peppermints.

Forever and ever.

22 Dec 2010 4:25 PM
ceil

Kiyoko,

With Anticipation is also one of my all-time favorites (love those grays!).  He became a fox hunter after his retirement from racing. He is the mount of the Master of the Hounds, and, from all reports, loves his job.

To LeeAnne,

Lava Man is in California, still in training to be a stable pony. There was a wonderful column with photos of The Tin Man on the DRF web site yesterday) - Barbara Livingston's column. Chelokee and Summer Bird are both standing at stud (see pages in Stallion Register). Rags went to Ireland to be bred this past spring - I'd imagine that she will foal there - haven't heard yet. Well Armed is back in training for the Dubai World Cup. Ginger Punch was sold to a Japanese farm - no news of her this year. Silverbulletday still belongs to Mike Pegram - hasn't been very successful as a broodmare. There was an article in the Bloodhorse magazine on him (and her) couple weeks back. Haven't heard anything on Dreaming of Anna.

I loved the video of Zenyatta - I've been patiently waiting to see her running free, being a horse. I wish her a long and happy life.

22 Dec 2010 4:30 PM
amy

ooo!!!!! these are the best pictures iv ever seen. zenyatta i pray you have a long life full of, love,royalty,peace!!! love you zenyatta!!

22 Dec 2010 4:31 PM
Bonnie

She's still "The Belle of the Ball"!!!  And rightly so, what a gorgeous horse!  I now also have my Christmas present and it couldn't have been a better one!   Thanks for the video, it keeps us close to Zenyatta and makes missing her a little less hard.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

22 Dec 2010 4:32 PM
Annabel

Just wonderful to watch -- loved hearing her whinny. Magnificant animal.

22 Dec 2010 4:36 PM
Mary Adkins-Matthews

She is gorgeous and OH SO HAPPY in retirement!!! To all the critics that said she wouldn't be, sorry, I guess you were wrong! Zenyatta we love you!

22 Dec 2010 4:38 PM
Elizabeth

Wonderful videos and pictures, truly a great Christmas surprise. I really do think a lot of this horse. I have spent time praying for her safety in races and in retirement. She is a gift to all us horse folks. Thank God for her. Thank you for the thoughtfulness of sharing the video and pictures. For some of us it is the only way we get to see her anymore.

22 Dec 2010 4:40 PM
Richard

Thank you, Blood-Horse, for the superb video of our treasured  Zenyatta. We have watched it at least a dozen times. Her squeals of unbridled joy as she runs across her paddock are priceless.

22 Dec 2010 4:42 PM
Carole

To Ceil, thank you for the update on Lava Man et al.

22 Dec 2010 4:43 PM
Federico Lleras

Wow!!! very happy to see Queen Zenyatta,doing so well, obviously happy, and for the first time ever,without a chain in her mouth!! the chain over the nose can go too...fantastic video & picture, great Christmas gift to all of her fans. Please keep visiting her next year so we can stay up to date with her.

22 Dec 2010 4:45 PM
Rachel

I am so happy to see how calm she is and that the lip chain is just a nose chain...that's the best part...I was touched about her response to her trainer and groom...

Thanks Ann, and thanks for seeing if you can visit Rachel.

22 Dec 2010 5:00 PM
Alex

Love seeing Zenyatta running. She is such a beautifal mare. she is going to make very cute fillies and colts. I wish we would get more updates on my other gal Rachel Alexandra. I wonder how's she doing. I also wish she would have got a retirement ceremony at the track. So her huge fans could see her one last time. But best of wishes to Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra for the future. your foal are going to be the next great stars of horse racig. and Merry christmas to the both of you super mares. Love Alexandra of WINNIPEG, MANITOBA, CANADA.

22 Dec 2010 5:01 PM
Kathy Agel

She seems to be adjusting well to retirement. Still, what I wouldn't give to see her put into training for a second career as a dressage horse. To see that amazing mare doing upper-level dressage? She might just have the makings of an Olympic gold medalist. Yeah, it's wishful thinking, but I can dream, can't I?

22 Dec 2010 5:03 PM
Mary Jane

What a joy. Beautiful photos and video. Thank you for showing us "Family Zenyatta" with their special girl. She is truly magnificent - apparantly in ANY setting. Hail to the Queen.

22 Dec 2010 5:35 PM
Patricia

Wonderful photos--I loved how you captured smiling TEAM Z faces with Zenyatta.  She looks so happy with people, especially her human family.  She really loves posing, doesn't she?

I suggest you also visit two other horses with alot of personality:  Invasor and Evening Attire.  Thanks for these premier photos.

22 Dec 2010 5:39 PM
Romina

How funny today I was thinking about WITH ANTICIPATION, and someone here asked about him. I, too, would love to know how he's doing.

22 Dec 2010 5:57 PM
Chris

I'm reading "The Horse God Built" by Lawrence Scanlan. Sounds like Eddie Sweat (Secretariats groom) had a similar relationship that Mario and Zenyatta have. So wonderful that her team were able to visit her to see her run free!

22 Dec 2010 6:13 PM
Sue

Wow! What a  great day for Zenny. Love the video it is outstanding. Z you really do look HAPPY! I am very glad for you. Thank you all for sharing with us. Keep up the good work Z. love ya

22 Dec 2010 6:17 PM
Karin C-C

It's unreasonable to hope that her babies will be the kind of racehorses that she was; but I'll hope for the next best thing, that she has daughters who produce stakes winners and keep her name alive for decades to come.

22 Dec 2010 6:29 PM
Kate

THANK YOU for posting these photos and the breathtaking video.  Merry Christmas, Queen Z, and all the wonderful people who love you...

22 Dec 2010 6:41 PM
Beatrice L

Incredible video footage & photos of our beautiful queen! Heartfelt thanks to BloodHorse, Team Zenyatta & Land's End for these precious moments with her. Look forward to more in the future.

22 Dec 2010 6:54 PM
Kathy from Toledo

Thank you, thank you, thank you! What a wonderful Christmas gift, seeing this wonderful mare happy and running free in her paddock. My thanks to Bloodhorse, Lane's End, and the Mosses for their graciousness in sharing these special moments with Zenyatta's fans.

Yes, please visit Rachel......these spectacular race mares deserve to be remembered and seen.

22 Dec 2010 6:54 PM
Barb

Thank you so much!! What a great story and video, made my Christmas knowing that Z is happy and healthy and enjoying her retirement. She is blessed to have such tremendous connections, who truly love her and do the very best for her.

22 Dec 2010 6:58 PM
Karen in Texas

Thank you, Blood-Horse, for the pictures and marvelous video! She looked so joyful while running in the paddock that I could almost hear the Hallelujah chorus from the Messiah accompanying her in the background! This is a real Christmas treat!

22 Dec 2010 7:29 PM
Arlene

As always..good shots through the lens. As for suggestions..a few years ago..maybe in his first year at stud..I commissioned a Moneigh by Sky Mesa through the ReRun organization. It is a wonderful painting..and Mary Moneigh was great to work with. So, I would like to see how my ar-tist is doing now. I have photos of him painting my picture. Also, if anyone has had a hard to buy for recipient on their present list..whether it is Christmas, birthday, anniversary, whatever..a Moneigh fits the bill..and it is for a wonderful organization. I never in my life thought I could own a Moneigh (Monet?) Better than the French painter in my esteem!My man has filled a promise and been a good producing sire. I picked him, because when he ran, he had a high action..a high head and that thick mane..my pretty boy always caught my eye. Too bad he had a shortened career. AH, what a pretty boy!

22 Dec 2010 7:43 PM
Rosemarie

Wow she is a BEAUTY!! I hope I get to see her one day in person :-)

22 Dec 2010 7:57 PM
backside sweetie

Thankyou so much for the great pictures and video of Queen Z!!My only problem,I wish I could look at them without the tears blurring my vision.I love her so much,best Christmas present ever!I have already ordered 2 of them,wish I could order the video also.KIYOKO and ROMINA,With Anticipation is as Ceil said now a fox hunter and he looks and is as happy as Zenyatta seems.I took a beautiful picture of him leading the hunt on the farm at work,bounding across the bridge,coming straight at me.It is one of my best shots,and my heart just about bursts seeing him enjoying himself in his retirement.I wish all you Zen lovers a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

z   IZ!!!

22 Dec 2010 8:05 PM
MRO

More breathtaking photos. I'm so glad the family got visit. I wish they could fly in at least once a month so that she knows she is loved and was not forgotten. I'm also glad Mario & Carmen have the opportunity to visit. She loves them too.

As far as horses I would like to see updates on in 2011:

Rags to Riches

Chindi - Was working as a stable pony for Steve Hobby

Slew City Slew - Soon to be 27 year old stallion at Airdrie Stud

Flute/Fleet Renee or any Seattle Slew broodmare

22 Dec 2010 8:05 PM
racingheart

How lovely!

Look at how arm her expression is for her friends - especially Mario & Carmen. You can just see the adoration in her eyes. Beautiful shots. I cannot express my gratitude for keeping us in contact with Zenyatta.

PLEASE DO bring us news & pictures of dear Rachel!!! She is my heart horse & I would just love to get a glimpse of her & know that she is happy & well.

Thank you again for all that you do.

22 Dec 2010 8:11 PM
txhorsefan

The final words on the video are "Special Thanks to Lane's End" and I could not agree more.  Thank you to Lane's End, Bloodhorse, you dear Anne, and of course, Zenyatta's wonderful California connections.  This is the most wonderful/awesome/fantastic/beautiful feature I've ever found on this site, a special Christmas gift indeed.  Zenyatta looks so beautiful in the beginnings of her fuzziness and the love she shares with her California family, especially with Mario, just makes my heart so full of joy.  There aren't enough good words for me to say, or that I can think of right now, so again, I repeat - Thank you!

22 Dec 2010 8:36 PM
Mary

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful video of Zenyatta!

You can see the connection she has with the folks that cared for her during her racing career.

Can't wait to see her offspring.   Thanks again for the wonderful Christmas gift!

22 Dec 2010 8:36 PM
speck

what a blessing that ANY horse would end up with the Mosses and their team!  Wow, I'm so impressed with their entire approach and providing access for Z's fans.

I'd love to see pics and/or video of Rock Hard Ten, Funny Cide, Lava Man and Rags to Riches.  I feel bad that Ginger Punch is off in Japan. I HOPE she's doing well.

Great video - totally heartwarming in all ways.

22 Dec 2010 8:39 PM
sherpa

Wonderful photos, Anne.  As always. So glad you were there for the occasion!

Needless to say, I've watched the video a dozen times since it was posted yesterday.  Fantastic job by the BH videographer - Alex, I believe?  And the background music was perfect!

Zenyatta's joy in her new freedom is undeniable.  I was especially relieved to see her sure-footedness running full-speed in the snow. My goodness, her body language was more that of a stallion than a mare! LOL

Thank you again.  Very best wishes to you and ALL our friends at The  Bloodhorse, the Connections and the kind folks at Lane's End who together have given Zenny's fans this special holiday treat.  May your days always be so merry and bright as the one you shared with us!

22 Dec 2010 8:40 PM
LeeAnne

Thank you for the updates! That article on The Tin Man is wonderful.

I read Chelokee was donated to the University of AZ.

Stonestreet Farms,where Rachel is, has a Facebook page and they did post a photo of her recently.

22 Dec 2010 8:40 PM
Liz

What a beautiful video.  Zenyatta's new home seems to suit her well.  What a great bunch she and her team are.  Don't think I've ever seen a group of folks look more proud.  They sure deserve to be.  It's team work at its finest and a true inspiration.

22 Dec 2010 8:44 PM
Robin from Maryland

I too shed many a tear watching the video.  I think The Queen would make an excellant dressage horse should her broodmare career fizzle (lets hope not).  When will she be bred? And, to whom?  Please continue to keep us updated it's wonderful.  God Bless all of Team Z, and to all a wonderful Holiday season.

22 Dec 2010 8:55 PM
LindaLaneDunn

The fact that the Mosses, the Shirriffs, Mario and Carmen all went to be with Zenyatta the first time she was turned loose in her paddock speaks volumes for their love of this amazing creature.  And the fact that Zenyatta returns that loves says a lot for these dear people who have shared her with the racing public.

22 Dec 2010 9:02 PM
Merry

Seeing her run with her tail up and happy is so very satisfying.  My only regret is that this is the last of her maiden athletic figure we will see.  But she is the Queen, will have her court (Pirate Queen) and will be kept in the style to which she is accustomed.

22 Dec 2010 9:05 PM
Merry

Would love an update on my baby boy, Curlin (OK, he'a a man now).  Waiting for Zenlin and/or Curlatta.

22 Dec 2010 9:09 PM
Katherine

Watching Zenyatta run and buck and squeal in her freedom brought tears to my eyes. How long has it been since she was turned out in a paddock?

I so respect her California family for bringing her support with them for this ever so special day.

Many, many thanks to Lanes End, the Mosses, Bloodhorse and Anne for these wonderful pictures and video! Truly a wonderful Christmas present to all of her fans!

22 Dec 2010 10:26 PM
eightbelles

Thank you so very much for sharing these wonderful photos with us.

Sweet Zenyatta looks so happy and peaceful. I think of her often and am happy to see that she is adjusting to her new life.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

22 Dec 2010 10:33 PM
eightbelles

Okay, I am back again. Just watched the video and it brought tears to my eyes I have to say.

To see her running freely in the open paddock kicking up her heels and talking to us was just a vision of beauty. Also, I never quite realized before what soulfoul eyes Zenyatta has.

I just love her.

22 Dec 2010 10:48 PM
Paula Higgins

What gifts these pictures and the video are!!!! Thank you so much. Zenyatta makes me smile from ear to ear and it makes me even happier to see her family with her. Don't ever tell me horses don't have feelings. Lane's End has been as good as their word by allowing us some access to her days there. A big "thank you" to them as well.

22 Dec 2010 11:05 PM
gailg

Thank you so much for the photos of Zenyatta! She's so beautiful and I'm thrilled that she is happy and healthy. I dearly miss her--there isn't a day goes by that I don't think about her. Love her so much! As for others to catch up with--how about Sweet Catomine, Ventura, Riskaverse, Dreaming of Anna, Hystericalady, Proud Spell, Music Note, Honey Ryder--gosh there's just too many to list all at once.

22 Dec 2010 11:08 PM
Chicagofan

Unprecedented...the way her connections have shared her with the public.  Kudos to all of them, and thank you for this Christmas gift beyond compare.  What Zenyatta brings us is simply indescribable.  But it is so real!

22 Dec 2010 11:42 PM
Karen in Indiana

I would like to thank everyone involved - Team Zenyatta, Lane's End & Bloodhorse - for allowing us to share such a beautiful moment. Zenyatta has given us such thrills through the years, it was great to see her receive this one. That Mario looked like one proud papa, didn't he?

23 Dec 2010 12:06 AM
Sunny Farm

Anne: Beautiful photos ! I love the look on ZENYATTA'S face and her happy bright eye to see her family . What a surprise for her & this sure brought her joy !

She looks great & like she is starting to feel at home at Lanes End. I was as happy as everyone else to see her in the paddock & enjoying her special day !

Thanks to Blood Horse for sharing !

Hello M.D. and Merry Christmas ! I hope you got a chance to read Abigails story, it is fantastic,you will love it I am sure !

I would love to see  RACHEL ALEXANDRA and MINE THAT BIRD. When MINE THAT BIRD went home, I was so happy for him and I would love to find out how he is doing. I'll bet he is pleased to be home with his loving family too. As for RACHEL ALEXANDRA she has a lot of fans too, and we would all love to hear more about her.

I have SO enjoyed these  blogs and stories and reading everyones thoughts & well wishes for "our' special mare !

MERRY CHRISTMAS to EVERYONE & THANKS SO MUCH ! Keep up the positive energy & love -it's working -

A special note to all of Queeen Z's connections :

YOUR THE GREATEST & we wish you continued happiness for 2011 and beyond ! Your love & kindness has touched us all.

23 Dec 2010 12:17 AM
Silverfoot

Thanks so much - there couldn't be a better Christmas present. So great to see her so happy. And best of all - she still dances!

23 Dec 2010 12:57 AM
Tommy Naccarato

I'm sorry to rain on everyone's parade here, but I think it is a travesty that Zenyatta is not here at home in California.  THIS IS HER HOME. NOT KENTUCKY!

What has happened here is that we have seen the greatest race horse sent to what equals to be a Siberian prison/concentration camp.

This GIFT FROM GOD is being punished by being sent there. SHe loved Hollywood Park, She loved Mario & John and then worse, after performing as a champion the way she did, is rewarded by being sent to the Horsey Concentration Camp.

To the Moss's: BRING ZENYATTA HOME! LET HER DO WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO AND THAT IS RACE AND BE WITH HER FANS THAT LOVE HER!

Tommy Naccarato

La Habra, California

23 Dec 2010 1:21 AM
Freetex

The best Christmas ever!

Thank you To our Z family and the Bloodhorse.

Please let Ann Moss know she has it so right, Zenyatta is a gift.

23 Dec 2010 1:21 AM
Cheryl Lange

Thank you so very much to everyone involved in this priceless video and news update about Zenyatta. She is the most precious gift from God and it's such a relief to see her having a great time and enjoying her new home! What a special Christmas gift this was from all of Zenyatta's connections.  Merry Christmas and a healthy and Happy New Year!

23 Dec 2010 2:21 AM
Margy

Zenyatta looks magnificent running in the snow.  All the members of Team Z are great, and it's wonderful to be able to see the Queen's every move as she makes the transition from racing superstar to mother of champions.

I agree with Mike Smith, however, I don't feel any stallion is worthy of her.

23 Dec 2010 3:04 AM
Terri Z

Thanks Anne, Blood Horse, the Mosses, and Lanes End for the most exquisite horse video I have ever seen; you are deserving of an Eclipse award at the very least. I couldn't ask Santa for a better Xmas present. The photographs are breathtaking and filled with love and joy and you should win an award for them as well.

I would love a visit with Cora Mariah, Penny Chenery's talented yearling filly; she is built like her ancestor,Secretariat, is training well, and has that famous stare. She is at Calumet Farm. God willing, we will be see the blue Meadows silks flying at big races again.

I would love pics and a visit with Quality Road and AP Indy at Lanes End. A visit to Three Chimneys with Big Brown would be lovely.

And I would love a visit with the mare Game Face but I don't know where she is; she raced for Zabel Stables and was trained by Pletcher.

Thanks again for the outstanding video and photographs.

Wishing all of the Blood Horse staff and family a wonderful Holiday and a terrific New Year.

23 Dec 2010 6:05 AM
Terri Z

Thanks again. I forgot to ask Santa for a visit to Eskenderya (sp), and a visit to Looking at Lucky.

God Bless and have a wonderful holiday.

23 Dec 2010 6:14 AM
zenfan

I would love to see how little bird (Mine That Bird) is doing.  Will he have another career?  I still get goosebumps watching the blimpcam view of the derby.

23 Dec 2010 7:26 AM
Nancy J.

Loved the Lanes End Zenyatta's paddock romp coverage.  When will we find out her stallion matchup? My humble vote is Tiznow for 2011,

Afleet Alex for 2012, and Birdstone

down the line.  So glad to hear others feed their horses bananas and brown lager...that should put the needed 50-70 lbs. for foal bearing prep!

23 Dec 2010 8:42 AM
Lise from Maine

Bonjour Zenyatta,

I had tears of joy to watch you running in the padlock and watching you visit with your visitors.

I would have a very difficult time

leaving you as I do not like letting go of you.

I wonder how your visitors felt leaving you?

I am so grateful to Mr. and Mrs. Moss and Land's End Farm for "showing you off" to your audience/fans by providing videos and photos of you.

I was so happy to see you running and kicking.

You look happy and gorgeous as usual.

I received a call last evening that my Gold Victorian Frame (16 x 20) with two different colored mattings that surrounds your photo (photo ordered from Bloodhorse.com)is ready to be picked up, and I can be reminded of you often.

I am so eager to see how beautiful you look surrounded in a gold frame which is a great contrast to your dark color.

I miss you already, Zenyatta.

I hope that your visitors return often as you seem to be very happy to see them, and it makes me happy to see you happy.

How I wish I could see you in person.

Take care!

Keep the videos and photos coming.

Love to you, Zenyatta!

23 Dec 2010 10:04 AM
Lise from Maine

Hi Bloodhorse,

Why not create a DVD of Zenyatta's life and sell it to us?

Thank you!

23 Dec 2010 10:08 AM
tbpartnerperson43

Only in KY is a six acre field called a paddock.  The pictures and video were stunning.  Did anyone else wonder what Z was thinking when she walked up to Mario?  We are surely blessed to have such open communication from Lane's End and the mare's people.

23 Dec 2010 10:09 AM
Dani

Stunning photographs of a horse so beautiful she is more like a work of art. I just can't believe how breathtaking she is everytime I see a new photo. I think she is the most magnificent horse I have ever seen.

Interesting to hear that visits with Rachel Alexandra are possibly in the works. On the downer side, I have to say, I am still steaming about the way J Jackson handled her retirement. An abrupt announcment and then no opportunity for fans to celebrate and show her how must we loved her for all her courage, majesty and beauty on the race track. To have shipped her away to the farm without even notice for anyone to come by and wish her well was a travesty. She deserved so much more than that. She is a champion and deserved a champions farewell into retirement. So I am glad to hear that maybe there is some redemption on the horizon.

23 Dec 2010 10:21 AM
RachelAlex

These are great pictures--she looks so relaxed and happy.

As a Rachel fanatic, you would make me ecstatic if you could do a similar visit with my girl.  We have seen very little of her since her "retirement".

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

23 Dec 2010 10:35 AM
MRO

Just watched the video. It is amazing. She really does squeal!

23 Dec 2010 10:49 AM
shuttleworth

Zenyatta is the Miss Universe of Equines... so beautiful...

23 Dec 2010 11:05 AM
Kathryn

A picture IS worth a thousand words.  These create a library of the way this wonderful family worked together to fulfill the promise of Zenyatta.  Smiling visitors across the land check on her daily, [often many times] loving the gifts on their laptops and screens anywhere we get to see her with them.  What a story this is.  Thank you for these moments.  Khc.

23 Dec 2010 11:21 AM
Barb

Thanks so much for these pictures and especially the video..it makes you feel like your right there with everyone and part of every step she makes. Believe me, it is very much appreciated!!

23 Dec 2010 11:45 AM
Kate

Am I the only one laughing at Tommy Naccarato's comment?

That's no "horsey concentration camp" - Queen Z is clearly adjusting beautifully to farm life, and I LOVED the video. Her squeals of delight when she was running made my day.

I, along with all her other worshipful subjects, await with bated breath for the announcement of the stallion chosen to sire Queen Z's first foal - but I also agree that there is no stallion out there worthy of her.

23 Dec 2010 11:56 AM
Linda M

OUR HORSE OF THE CENTURY.....how fabulous to see this gorgeous girl RUN FREE in her paddock.  It just gave me chills to see her "being a horse."  AND THANK YOU ALL, Lanes End, and all her amazing connections, for letting us share the remarkable moments.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL, AND NOTHING BUT HAPPINESS TO OUR GIRL, forever and ever.

23 Dec 2010 12:04 PM
The Equestrian Vagabond

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for these photos, videos, and updates on Zenyatta. please keep them coming!

23 Dec 2010 12:05 PM
KL

The video is really well-done. The star of course is Zenyatta who has such beautiful leg moves, like no others. She's a joy to watch, even when she's standing still.

23 Dec 2010 12:09 PM
Smarie

The Mosses should be the standard other owners emulate when it comes to showcasing their horses to the media and the fans. No aloofness there - no lofty attitudes. Clearly they love and enjoy Zenyatta as much as we do and they enjoy sharing her with us. The last owner I recall doing things in this way was Penny Chenery with Secretariat.

Zenyatta still looks incredible - she is all dappled out and still is doing her dance. I am so thankful to see that she is adjusting to retirement and the cold weather. It was wonderful to watch her running free in her paddock. It was also good to see that after she'd run for a while, she'd come over to the fence to see "her" people. This horse has been treated absolutely right from the get-go. Zenyatta's connections are second to none. This mare, with her athletic ability, her confirmation, her personality, her mind, and her just being Zenyatta places her in a class completely by herself. She is one of a kind and I am just glad that I got to see her. So many so-called "experts," seem so reluctant to acknowledge how great Z is and I will never understand why. If she belonged to an East coast stable that has been around for decades, the attitudes from these people would be decidedly different. So sad. Luckily, most fans are different. We know just how special Zenyatta is and we aren't afraid to shower her with the praise and love that she deserves. God bless the Mosses, and all Zenyatta's people for being the kind of people they are. And, God bless you, Zenyatta!

23 Dec 2010 12:10 PM
luckyme

thank you so much this was just fabulous.  Love the picture of just your head as the video starts.  You look so very happy I wish you so much love and happiness in your new home.  Please keep the pictures and videos coming I don't think anyone is ready to say good-bye to you for a very long time.  You are absolutley the most wonderful of God's creatures.

23 Dec 2010 1:32 PM
Dallas from Texas

Wow, thanks so much for the video and pic's.  She looks so very at ease with her new home.  God bless Lady Z and the wonderful people that have cared for her.  This was a best Christmas gift

23 Dec 2010 1:41 PM
Freetex

I have viewed Zenyatta's paddock video so many times and will continue to do so..  She is so striking and majestic as she is truly the Queen.

The Mosses' consideration of Zenyatta and her fans is incredible.  I can only think of t a few other owners who have shared their amazing equines with the public.

Happy Holidays to the Moss team, Lane's End, Bloodsport, and horse lovers everywhere.

23 Dec 2010 1:58 PM
Ollie

Wow,fantastic photos of "The Queen"at her new home.Thank you

so very much for the updates &

keep them coming.  Happy Holidays

to everyone involved with Zenyatta,

The Mosses' her trainer,her groom,

her hotwalker,Mike Smith,Lane's End,Bloodhorse and of course to all of her many many fans who love

her so.

23 Dec 2010 2:40 PM
j,j.

Thanks for a fantastic video! She looks to be in great hands. She's so precious to us all. Thanks to everyone involved.

23 Dec 2010 2:46 PM
livey

I love would love to see additional video used in editing.  Most Z lovers would love to see more of the unedited film.  You see, we Zphobs could watch endless video of her simply grazing out in her paddock.

23 Dec 2010 2:53 PM
DG McCall

Simply fabulous!  She is the greatest.  There will never be another like her.  It looks like she may still want to run again:)

23 Dec 2010 3:20 PM
rams2050

Thank you so much, everyone, for these spectacular photos and video.

What a magnificent Christmas present for those of us who love and miss Zenyatta.

Thank you, especially, Ann and Jerry Moss, for caring so much about our girl.

She looks ecstatic in her new surroundings.  Her bannered tail, joyful bucks and happy neighing says it all -- I am HOME!

Merry Christmas to all!

23 Dec 2010 3:24 PM
sue m

These are such gorgeous pictures of an absolutely magnificient mare.  She oozes charisma just standing still and when she runs...incredible!  The Mosses are perhaps the best owners ever.  To allow us such access is very much appreciated.  It speaks volumes about her care just watching her interact with the Mosses, John, Mario and Carmen.  They always put the horse first and have realized a true gift from her in return.  I plan on visiting Zenny in 2011 and excitedily anticipate her first foal.  She will be a great mom...such heart she has and a gentleness of spirit.

23 Dec 2010 3:42 PM
Denise

This is so wonderful, thank you so much!!

23 Dec 2010 4:59 PM
quarterhossgal

There isn't much to add to the blog so many have said what I feel.  Zenyatta's west coast team and her new Kentucky team have done a wonderful job with this great mare. Kudos to all that made the video possible, it is breath taking.  Blood Horse has done such a great service for all Z's fans by having at least a weekly story about Queen Z. A book should be written about Z soon, I would love to have Steve Haskin be the one to do it along with hundreds of photos of Zen. Happy Holidays to all and again thank you for sharing Zenyatta with all of us.

23 Dec 2010 7:08 PM
Jonni mae

I though Zenny was going WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

23 Dec 2010 7:19 PM
backside sweetie

TO Whomever was wondering what Zen was thinking when she looked at her family,especially the look she shared with Mario it was pure adoring love & respect  flowing between them!!They have been together daily for several years, spending many hours of each day together.They have also experienced good times,scary times,travel times in planes and vans,going to new places ,going back home,they have probably spent more time together thru happy and sad times then most human couples have.I have been blessed to have experienced that feeling with a horse and received that look,that love flowing between us.Its almost undescribable,its like we are looking into each others very soul and being.Having felt that personally I know what each of them was thinking and sharing as they looked into each others eyes.I had to order that picture as it was such a special moment for Zen and Mario.Horses do not forget you and that was part of her happiness when she was romping thru the paddock,she was sharing her new experience with Mario and the rest of her family,letting them know she is ok.God bless everyone who made it possible for us to share this special time with Zenyatta and her family.

23 Dec 2010 7:23 PM
Emily

Wow! Zenyatta looks so beautiful! I cannot believe she has such a dappled coat even in winter! Its nice to see her enjoying her retirement :)

Merry Christmas big Z!!!

23 Dec 2010 7:47 PM
Barbara W

Love all these updates. Z is one of our national treasures.

I hope the horse industry is beginning to understand, finally, that these horses MEAN something to us other than just what they can do on the track. We miss them and wonder about them when they are retired. I wish Bloodhorse.com would devote a special section on "updates". That is the best suggestion I could make to an otherwise already great website.

Ceil,

Thanks for filling us in. I specifically looked for Chelokee in the register and didn't see him. I'll look again. As to Ginger Punch going to Japan, I bet our friends at Old Friends will be keeping a watchful eye. They have developed contacts over there. I would love to see pics of MTB and many other you all have mentioned. Funny Cide may be visited at Kentucky Horse Park.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. May we not forget DynaKing, either.

23 Dec 2010 9:45 PM
Pat from Delaware

Thanks so much for the video!  So good to see her enjoying herself and to hear her voice telling everyone how happy she is.  Also so nice to see her choosing to spend some of her free time with her people.  Zenyatta herself and all her people are a total class act.

23 Dec 2010 9:47 PM
Rider17

Thank you for these photos and for the lovely video!  Z is beautiful and she looks SO happy.  "How joyful is her neigh."

The moment between Z and Mario is gorgeous.

Thanks to BH, Lane's End and the Mosses for sharing.

23 Dec 2010 9:53 PM
illgetalong

Fantastico! Terrific! Zenyatta and Mario and Carmen and Dottie and John and Jerry and Ann and Lane's End.  What a beautiful Christmas gift.  We are so grateful to all of you for sharing with us.  We are all warm hearted and happy.  Thank you for taking such good care of Zenyatta's fans.  Merry Christmas and keep on prancing and dancing gorgeous girl.  We love you.

23 Dec 2010 10:29 PM
Linda in Texas

backside sweetie, i so totally agree with every word you wrote. Very nicely explained. If you have been lucky enough in a lifetime to have a

a companion such as Mario is to Zenyatta, you will know. It was

very touching to watch them in the video and reminded me of my longtime old friend Brantley's Easter Rose. My first horse.

Thanks so much.

23 Dec 2010 10:43 PM
candi carter

zenyattas is so joyous to see her family,and her groomer they both get used together I think they all missed her as well as zenyattas missed them as well.I thank you they visit him often.Yhey really love zenyattas as well as.

23 Dec 2010 11:38 PM
candi carter

I would like to know are they visitng giacomo too.Where is giacomo right now.I hope he is in a good hand and happy and safe.

23 Dec 2010 11:40 PM
sherpa

Barbara W, Ms. Eberhardt has done some lovely photo-essays on mares we'd all like to keep tabs on.  Look back into the August-Sept archives of "Through The Lens."  I'm especially taken with Life Is Sweet's dam, Sweet Life.  She is so regal! Very like what I expect Zenyatta will be a few years hence.

I hope there will be many more to come such visits in the future.

candi carter, some of Zen's people visited with Giacomo at the time they took her to Lane's End.  They also met with her dam, Vertigineux.  Check out the BH photo galleries.  The pictures will make you happy!

24 Dec 2010 12:42 AM
Diana from Illinois

THANK YOU!!  Thank you, Moss family for sharing this gift of Zenyatta with her fans.  I hope it warms your heart to know so many people love her.  Thank you Dottie for the diary posts that makes us feel like we are a part of her day.  Thank you, John for doing such a wonderful job of keeping our girl sound, and healthy.  A very special thank you to Mario and Carmen.  You cared for her every day lovingly, and it is obvious she loves you.  It is so heartwarming to see her lovingly connect with all of her family.  That's when the tears start flowing!  Happily, when she bucks, jumps, runs and nickers, you are left smiling and laughing through those tears.  THANK YOU LANES END!!!  You are doing a wonderful job of taking good care of Zenyatta.  We can tell you have fallen in love with her too!

24 Dec 2010 7:05 AM
Ceeanne

What a wonderful treat! The best thing I've seen all Christmas season. Zenyetta is and always will be magnificent. I hope someday to get to Lane's End to see her.

24 Dec 2010 9:44 AM
Joanna

She is obviously sedated for her first turn out. this is standard at all stud farms when horses are first turned out. her nervouse pawing would have been evident if they had not sedated her....probably one drop of Ace under the tongue...

24 Dec 2010 10:58 AM
NancyP

Anne - Thank you for the best Christmas present I will have received this year.  It was just wonderful of Mario, Carmen, John, Dottie and the Mosses to visit her.  It was very obvious that she was sooo happy to see them!  She looks spectacular!

Is there any way to purchase a copy of the video?  I would treasure it!

Happy Holidays to all.

NancyP

24 Dec 2010 11:51 AM
FloridaFan1

This video made my day.  Seeing Zenyatta run thoughout her paddock reminds us she is a horse and it is so much more natural for them to be "free" than cooped up in a stall for 23 hours a day.  As much as we'll miss her racing, she really deserves this new life!  Keep on keeping us posted on her, and Rachel Alexandra!  Happy Holidays!

24 Dec 2010 12:03 PM
Nancy

I am so glad she is happy and her connection where there to see her. She is so smart and I know she loves them. To here her voice for the first time was great!!!! We miss her here in Cali very much but so glad she is doing so well. The Moses and John and Mario and all are an example how horsemen should be :) Thank you for taking such good care of our Queen Z!

24 Dec 2010 1:18 PM
chloe & Jack

All I can say is WOW! thanks you SO much for making my Christmas Eve complete. Love this Gal, she is the BEST...we will all have to keep up with her progress and will enjoy hearing and seeing updates on how she is doing. Christmas wishes to the Mosses and group, keep Zenyatta safe..Greetings to all her fans...

24 Dec 2010 1:26 PM
carole

What a great present in time for Christmas, and just after I received my Zenyatta sweatshirt, I will wear that proudly everywhere. thanks Bloodhorse , terrific job, makes the tears come to see her run, wish we could see her do that again, she is the most beatiful girl in the world,,,blessing for her and her owners, keep her safe.

24 Dec 2010 1:30 PM
Simply Majestic

Did the Mosses visit any stallions while they were there?

24 Dec 2010 2:38 PM
Dani

Anne - your gift to us of these beautiful photographs of the horse we love and cherish is so appreciated. What a Christmas present you have bestowed upon us. So many tender moments captured. So much joy shared between a horse and her family after being apart. So much magnificence caught through the lens of the most stunning horse I have ever seen. Your photographs bring such happiness and such peace to my world. I cannot thank you enough for such treasures.  I wish you a wonderful Christmas and hope your new year is filled full of many special moments shared with all the beautiful horses you capture through your camera.

24 Dec 2010 2:45 PM
Saddle57

This was the best Christmas present for me too! I love watching her run free. Thanks so much for sharing this!

24 Dec 2010 4:25 PM
Dona

Johanna,

You are wrong! You must not know much about this team or Zenyatta!

Zenyatta is patient, loving and kind and only gets keyed up when stressed and trust me, her demeanor is not of a distressed or druged horse. Please understand what the rest of us already know, this is a most unusual mare and a most unusual team. No way, no how would Zenyatta be drugged!

24 Dec 2010 5:32 PM
JAJ

Dona,

I would be surprised if she wasn't lightly tranqed.  It is standard.

24 Dec 2010 6:08 PM
Julie L.

Everything was just beautiful now the best gift for the New Year would be the annoucement of which lucky stallion gets to sire her first foal. My vote is for A. P. Indy with Giant's Causeway a good second choice.

24 Dec 2010 8:15 PM

ZOOKEEPER

Regarding The Tin Man I've been visiting him for over two yrs now when I'm in CA. I was last there in late Oct. Each time I bring mints and also send them. He looks well.

24 Dec 2010 10:32 PM
Donna Butler

Thank you to Anne & Blood Horse for sharing photos & video of Zenyatta's homecoming, it's just a joy to see her settled & happy.

Zenyatta is in my prayers for the Eclipse Awards "Horse of the Year."

God Bless!

25 Dec 2010 1:58 AM
Fran Loszynski

Thank you for the wonderful video of Zenyatta, for a horseracing fan to see her run around the fence so very happy, She wasn't my favorite racehorse this year but she didn't have to be-she just is "Zenyatta". This is why I am a horseracing fan because these racehorses are the wind and their eyes and heart the stars. Thank you so much. She had this peace when she was born and now has it back again with the wind in her nostrils. You are such a great publication. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

25 Dec 2010 1:18 PM
chopman

CURLIN BREEDS THE QUEEN 9/2

25 Dec 2010 6:57 PM
saharagold

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE NEVER TAKE THIS VIDEO DOWN FROM YOUR SITE.  I will be looking at it often.  Or if you do take it down, please offer it for sale either streaming or on DVD.  Thank you very much for your consideration of my request.  Have a very blessed & happy Merry Christmas!

25 Dec 2010 7:46 PM
nsncy

What a gift she is. Nice to see her just runing for fun. Dose not matter if she gets HOTY, she is trully the horse of the decade. Thank you bloodhorse for sharing this with us.

25 Dec 2010 9:16 PM
JAJ

Chopman,

Surely you jest!

26 Dec 2010 7:57 AM
horsemen

Ann Moss and Zenyatta together (great pic Ann E) truly the queens of horseracing.  thank you ladies for selflessly sharing your lives with us.  Truly a blessing this holiday season.  Looking forward to 2011 and all the great news to come. horsemen

26 Dec 2010 10:05 AM
Love 'em all

Save the following Youtube link ... Zenyatta and company at Lane's End on 12/20/10.  It's the same video here at the B-H site.

www.youtube.com/watch

26 Dec 2010 11:32 AM
Katherine

Love 'em all, thanks for the youtube link. I have watched this video so many times, each time I feel the same joy.

26 Dec 2010 6:09 PM
chopman

AP INDY Breeding the mighty                                                                          ZEN   Total outcross as in RUFFIAN? CURLIN is a little tight, I agree (MR PROSPECTOR ) however CURLIN>ZENYATTA sales topper yearling, excedding the  GREEN MONKEY by many . Think there going to breed off the farm? (Lanes End )100/1

26 Dec 2010 7:09 PM
Katherine

Chopman I think you are right. Zen and AP Indy at True Nicks A++.

27 Dec 2010 12:31 AM
LauraJ

@saharagold, the video is also on YouTube on the BloodHorse channel, so you should always be able to find it:

www.youtube.com/watch

The quality is great. I've been watching it on full screen.

27 Dec 2010 10:29 AM
LauraJ

As for Zenyatta's first beau, I think it will be A.P. Indy assuming his fertility is still good. He is not getting any younger, and he is a proven stallion. Curlin makes pretty babies, but we have no idea yet what they will bring as yearlings, much less whether they can run. Besides, he is a young horse. They have years to breed to him if they want. A.P. Indy foals are still highly desired and they still top auctions. Don't forget, his son out of Z's half-sister Balance topped the Keeneland September sale at $4.2 million in a down year.

I think potential auction prices are moot, however. I can't imagine the Mosses will sell her foals--not the first few anyway, and certainly not her very first. I suspect it would be like selling their first grandchild. Plus, they like to race homebreds. They don't need the money either.

27 Dec 2010 10:53 AM
Sarah

Still looking beautful as ever! Now will people be able to see her? like on tours of the farm?

27 Dec 2010 12:32 PM
ceil

Giacomo is standing at Adena Springs in Lexington. There was a wonderful video of him which originally ran on the Bloodhorse web site a couple of years ago. It was a series about former Derby winners. You can see this video on YouTube. I believe the Mosses bred the dam of Cozie Rosie to him this year. She's in her twenties and this will be her last foal.

Chelokee doesn't have a page with a photo in the Stallion Register. I just came across his name when I was looking through the listings. He is standing in Arizona. somewhere.

27 Dec 2010 1:49 PM
TerriV

Beautiful pictures and video.  There can never be too many pictures or words written about Zenyatta.  Keep it up!!  Are there any pictures of Rachel Alexandra?  She should have been celebrated in her retirement too!

27 Dec 2010 4:09 PM
Soldier Course

War Pass has died at Lane's End, having just arrived from his stallion duties in the Southern Hemisphere.

27 Dec 2010 4:45 PM
Linda Bulger

Dear Zen,

I was not a horse person till I learned about you. Since then I have been reading about "horse body language", ear speak and how to read what you are trying to say to us lowly humans.You are a spokeswoman for your breed. Everyone involved with you should be proud what they have done for your sport. I never knew how much I was missing. Being a dog person I had closed myself off from your wonderful life. Thanks Zenyatta for educating me to your world. HAPPY NEW YEAR

27 Dec 2010 6:08 PM
Ida Lee

Thank you so much for this wonderful present!! Zenyatta looks wonderful and so happy. I needed this so badly since I just read about our beautiful Champion War Pass. I could not believe it. He's one of my favorite boys. So thank you so much for this story on Zenyatta and the photos and especially the video. It stopped the tears for a while. RIP beautiful boy. And please take care of Zenyatta like the Treasurer she is.

27 Dec 2010 6:50 PM
Linda/Maryland

Soldier Course, I just read that too. That is very worrysome.

27 Dec 2010 6:52 PM
Mike Relva

When I learned about War Pass I couldn't believe it! Greatly admired his career before injury took him out of the Derby picture. He will be missed.

27 Dec 2010 7:19 PM
chopman

WHO will breed the QUEEN???? I like CURLIN ;;gets a " F" it the nicks not sure WHY, A P ? can,t see that; possibly BLAME? no way ;;MINESHAFT,S my guess' WHY? Great lokkin horse

27 Dec 2010 7:44 PM
Paula Higgins

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that War Pass had died. What the heck happened???? He was only 5 years old. They need to figure this out in a hurry.

27 Dec 2010 10:00 PM

PAULA

I agree with you,it's really strange. I liked him so much and very sad he's gone. Wonder if there's a connection from that he didn't handle his trip well?

28 Dec 2010 11:35 AM
Soldier Course

Linda, Paula, Mike:

I agree with you about War Pass. What on earth has happened? He is the second young stallion to have died at Lane's End in the last few years, the other being Horse of the Year, Saint Liam. This is unsettling to say the least.

28 Dec 2010 2:21 PM
Linda Bulger

Sorry to hear of War Pass. A gift from God back with his maker. I am not a vet but in humans deep vein thrombi develop on long flights. I am sure they will look for this.

28 Dec 2010 2:39 PM
Fran Loszynski

I think in 2011 you should pay a visit to Gainesway Farm and see Afleet Alex and Afleet Express. A visit with Afleet Alex will touch your heart. He is one of the most loving racehorses and Gainesway Farm and staff are awesome. You would be seeing Father and Son! When I visited him in 2009, there were two little boys with their parents and his full attention was to sniff their foreheads! Alex loves kids and always will. I guarantee you would have a memorable visit.  I did.

29 Dec 2010 8:25 AM
Fran Loszynski

Forgot to add, your photos of Zenyatta and video  rank right up there with my favorite movie "Seabiscuit" that's saying alot. The Mosses' lover her so much. I wish them a happy life.

29 Dec 2010 8:30 AM
Dottie Moore

updates and videos of my favorite horse, Queen Zenyatta! There will

never ever be another horse like

Zenyatta Mondatta!! God bless all

of her team....every single one.

29 Dec 2010 12:00 PM
Dottie Moore

Forgot something important--

I hope she gets HORSE OF THE

YEAR for 2010!!  She deserves

it.  As Mike Smith said, "She`s

horse of the decade."

29 Dec 2010 12:19 PM
Rechelle

It is so good to see Zenyatta running in her paddock because she wants to run, not because she is told she has to.  You can tell she's running for the sheer joy of running by her ears pricked forward and her tail up.  She was not a happy racehorse this last season, which was obvious to anyone watching her races and how much smaller her margins of victory were.  A year ago, she would've beaten Blame in the Classic.  This year she was not the same horse, she was ready to be retired a year ago and should've been retired.

Dottie .... she'll never win HOY for 2010.  She ran too many repeat races and the one race she HAD to win (the Classic) she lost.  They do need to come up with an award for her to honor and celebrate what she did for the sport, but HOY is based on from Jan. 1 2010 to Dec. 31 2010 and she just did not do enough.  She should've either travelled east & raced in different filly/mare races OR she should've met the boys in California.  They put too much faith in that she would win the Classic and she didn't.  She was upset going to be saddled that day and she was upset in the post parade.  The noise going through the tunnel unnerved her both ways.  I'd never seen her push her groom around as much as she did that day.

I'm sorry, but 2010's Horse of the Year will be Blame.  He did everything right and showed up to every race he ran, placing second only once.  He beat Quality Road at the Whitney and at that time QR was one of the top horses in training and was a contender for HOY.  If you look at it realistically, WHO did Zenyatta beat this year?  The answer .... no one.

29 Dec 2010 1:28 PM
Marian in Texas

I have many friends who are not horse racing fans who have come to appreciate the sport by following Zenyatta. I have shared The Blood Horse video of Queen Z at Lane's End with them and all are charmed by her beauty and personality. I particularly enjoy the relationship that Z has with her connections. Please keep the photos, articles, and videos coming. I watch and read them many times over and see something new every time.

Will you keep us posted on the events of Zenyatta's breeding?

29 Dec 2010 1:55 PM
Kim

Nice to finally see her without huge wads of cotton stuffed down her ears.

29 Dec 2010 3:02 PM

RECHELLE

As usual YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. Don't hear you agreeing RA wasn't the same this yr cause she wasn't. RA's career ended in a flicker and you know it. As for Blame,a very good horse,but as Bill Nack stated not a great one. To say Zenyatta wasn't happy this yr. is pure nonsense! You really sound like a broken record with always your anti Zenyatta garbage. Get back to me when a horse goes 19-1 and captures the imagination of the public,which the last horse that did was Secretariat.

29 Dec 2010 5:59 PM
Paula Higgins

Linda has a good point about DVT's (deep vein thrombosis) in humans, which are clots, and can be life threatening. I have no idea if horses have the same potential to form clots and we need someone who owns or trains horses to tell us if that is possible. If it is, that is certainly a possibility after a long flight. Heartbreaking. I really hope they tell the public what they believe the cause of death was.

Rechelle, Mike said it well, you do not know what you are talking about. Enough said. This is a blog to celebrate Zenyatta, not tear her down. I have to wonder about the motives of someone who would take the time to post such negativity on this type of blog.

29 Dec 2010 7:37 PM
Suzanne

It was so cool to watch Zenyatta being turned out - I really enjoyed it.  She is such a beauty!! Thanks for making this wonderful video.

29 Dec 2010 8:31 PM
Suzanne

Zenyatta should definitely get Horse of the Year - no question about it.

29 Dec 2010 8:32 PM
chopman

ZENYATTA===TRUE GRIT

29 Dec 2010 8:55 PM

PAULA:

Bravo. Rechelle has the same agenda each and everytime! To undermine Zenyatta,like AAF,Draynay and other nutjobs. Question? How do you think they would look in a room with "real" experts like writers and HOF trainers that have stated Zenyatta is a tour de force in racing. I think they would look stupid!

29 Dec 2010 9:27 PM
Paula Higgins

Mike, good point. The people who actually work with and train horses know exactly how spectacular and unique Zenyatta is. One of the greats of all time, period. We will never see her like again in our lifetime. There is no one who can touch her, not Goldikova or Rachel (and I love them both too).

29 Dec 2010 10:03 PM

PAULA

You're correct 100%. Some of these individuals think that a horse that's turned in almost a perfect record over a course of three yrs while remaining sound is just a walk in the park. They have no brains and appreciation and then cry over why racing has few Superstars.

29 Dec 2010 10:30 PM
JAJ

OMG Mike Relva, we agree on something!

I think her biggest fans, the ones who really understand what she (and John Sherriffs) did, are the big-name trainers.

30 Dec 2010 5:42 AM
JAJ

Re deep vein thrombosis:

People  have an increased risk of developing deep vein thrombosis (blood clots) during long-haul flights because the blood circulation to the legs is impaired from long hours of sitting.

Horses stand when they are shipped, so I doubt a long flight would cause a blood clot to form in a horse.

30 Dec 2010 5:49 AM
D.Ibach

Lady-Z is such a Beautiful horse and Iwas so privleged to see her race,in person,and also be a person to be Photoed with her at her retirement and on her last day in Hollywood Park in California! a day I'll remember the rest of my life! Will be watching to see the Qween-Z-,to also bring her young to this beautiful world of Raceing.love the sport for 75yrs.Yea Lady Z the horse nof the year!

30 Dec 2010 3:33 PM
Soldier Course

JAJ:

Hope you're right. Your explanation certainly makes sense.

Wonder what's taking so long re the necropsy report on War Pass? The world's waiting.

30 Dec 2010 3:38 PM
Soldier Course

Just saw a YouTube video about the Secretariat movie, where Penny Chenery says that his winning the Triple Crown helped her get over all of her past hurts of every kind, even ones going back to her childhood.

I remember thinking the same thing when Smarty Jones ran for the Triple Crown. I just knew that if he won the Belmont Stakes, I would wake up the next day with a whole new outlook on life.

To some extent I had the same feeling about Zenyatta and the 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic, knowing that that win would secure her being named Horse of the Year. Now all is being held in abeyance, as we await January 17, 2011.

30 Dec 2010 4:19 PM
zenyatta mondatta

Be quiet, Rechele,  My goodness your jealousy for Zenyatta is showing real loud and clear.  Just love her instead of spending so much time being jealous of her.  I think we might be able to squeeze you in on the Zenyatta Bandwagon if you be a good girl.  We will have to make room for you as you can see , this wagon is mighty full of Zenyatta lovers.

30 Dec 2010 5:54 PM

ZENYATTA MONDATTA

If RECHELLE was only half as bright as she thinks she wouldn't be always looking absurd trashing a truly great racehorse! She's doesn't have the first clue what greatness is.

30 Dec 2010 6:12 PM
Sandra Bennington

Queen Zenyatta is Regal & beautiful a truly Wonderful Mare with a playful personality. We all love  & adore her!!!!

30 Dec 2010 11:28 PM
Rosita712

Thanks so much for the video and pix of her romping free. It really made me happy to see her so joyous and beautiful in her freedom.

I also appreciate the inquiry into a visit with Rachel. She doesn't deserve to be forgotten just because her career this year was horribly mismanaged. The people who like to knock her down will never believe otherwise but she will always deserve her dues as well. I wish the public could have said goodbye to her too, so thanks for trying to arrange a visit so we can at least see how she is. I love these two special ladies. :)

31 Dec 2010 2:38 PM
chopman

Happy Birthday;;to Rachel and Zenyatta .Im tottaly confident ,that you both ,could give a ;;rats ass; about horse of the year.My only hope  in 2011 is that we can find;homes for all the ex race horses

31 Dec 2010 10:10 PM
The Truth

RA year wasnt mismangaged,  she just proved she wasnt good as everyone said she was.  When a horse is getting great timed works and cant beat older horses it means she just isnt as good as she was made out to be.

Please,  she is old news.  JJ should have retired her in the end of 09, but he didnt.  He got fooled to didnt he?

Yes,  she was the same horse, her problem is she just wasn as good a horse when she needed to prove herself a year later.   She will never be a Zenyatta.

01 Jan 2011 8:09 AM
The Truth

Rechele, get over it.  Just accept it that RA proved to the world in 2010 that she wasnt really deserving of her award.  She proved that the competition in her races were sad,  lame males.  I wish someone would tell me how a horse at three can beat males but at four cant beat older females?   dont make any sense does it?  Why becasue it is obvious that she just wasnt all that.  She proved it.  She is old news.......nothing to talk about with her.

01 Jan 2011 8:13 AM
chopman

HAL WIGGINS;;;GOOOOOOOOOOD              Steve Assmussin  BAAAAAAAAAAAD

01 Jan 2011 11:41 AM

THE TRUTH

I'm as much a Zenyatta fan as anyone,but how do you explain the fact months ago during an interview RA's former trainer stated she was "gutted" in the Woodward,the same that I posted several times in the past year? Don't you think he would know? I think so.

01 Jan 2011 12:16 PM
Soldier Course

Happy New Year, everyone. And Happy Birthday to all our Thoroughbreds.

01 Jan 2011 2:25 PM
The Truth

Relva,  I respect what you are saying but I am saying the horse had a year to get back into shape,  she didnt,  she never faced older females in 09, if she had she could have proved herself to us,  she may have been gutted but she had six months in the barn to adjust, to heal from her experience,    I blame the connections for not getting it right, and for not doing right and training her more for her March races.   How does anyone explain how Zenyatta has come back for three years winning races, even afrer her win in the BCC in 09,  NO there is no explanation, it is the truth and the truth is that Rachel is no horse compared to a horse like zenyatta.  plain and simple.

01 Jan 2011 3:19 PM

THE TRUTH

Whatever!

01 Jan 2011 4:35 PM
JAJ

The Truth,

Sometimes horses never come back after they are gutted.  Sometimes horses never improve from 3 to 4.

You don't know what Rachel Alexander had going on this year.  The connections were very secretive.

I suspect she had a nagging injury--maybe a new chip, maybe arthritis from the chips that were taken out of her joints when she was a 2-year old.  Maybe she started to develop ligament or tendon problems.

We just don't know, and Rachel isn't talking.

01 Jan 2011 5:05 PM
The Truth

JAJ,  that might be fine but wouldnt that have made more sense to announced than to have let the world see her undoing?  I dont think she had any nagging injury. I think she was proven that she wasnt what everyone thought she was .  I am sorry I disagree with you all but I think its time everyone quit hiding behind the truth and open up about the reality of it all.   Everything in Rachels campaigns are now out in the open,  No other horse has as long in the barn as she had and still come back and never get up to her (illusional) 09 self.  I just think someone done some real good debating on the races she entered in in 09 ( like against males that proved they could be beat) why didnt they run her in other top races that year, Like the BCC, she won at Keenleland, and please spare me the scared plastic complaint of Jess Jackson, we all know that track surface he was avoiding was called zenyatta,  Why didnt they run her in the Travers, the JGC that year.  The truth is we all know why?   Lets just call a spade a spade and finally once and for all admit the truth on RA.    Its no excuse as to why she couldnt come up to par is because she never was as good as she was made out to be.   the truth is the truth.  We cant keep hiding behind the illusion of anything different.

01 Jan 2011 5:55 PM
grey32

The Truth - I am always amazed at no nothings that spout off and disparaged when they know NOTHING!!!

First why you feel you need to demean a horse is in itself a true mirror of how cheap and dark your own self loathing is. Second Rachel Alexandra was an exceptionally fine horse, she was not a poser; she was a champion.

She had the misfortune of being owned by and trained by people who were only in it for their own self promotion.

She was left standing doing nothing for 6 months, allowed to gain way to much weight and never properly trained. The fact that she did as well as she did in 2010 is a testament to her talent and good will.

The truth you arrogant pompous ass hole is that RA was much better then she was ever allowed to prove.

There never was, never will be a Zen V. RA argument. There is only an ignorant little men like you who have most likely failed at everything in your life and need to take you venom out on a horse, aren't you just the man??

That said. Z looks great. She's put on some weight and seems to be having a grand time. After foaling they should consider - dressage  God know she loves to perform. Seems she already knows a few moves.. It's a thought.

01 Jan 2011 6:45 PM
The Truth

grey32,  All disgruntled Rachel fans sound alike.  You still didnt bother giving me the reason she never regained her illusional 09 self. As usual You Rachel fans can only come up with the 'What ifs" but never the "Why".  Take your medicine Grey32 and accepty The Truth, You know the truth because you didnt give a definitive answer to the Why.  And if you knew anything you were talking about you would have at least came up with a better damn excuse than the bummed up crap you said.   Accept the truth unimpressive RA fan.

01 Jan 2011 6:54 PM

GREY32

I agree with much you said to the KNUCKLEHEAD! I've been on Zenyatta from the beginning and I admire RA very much,but NOT her connections. The former trainer cared about her,but the latter not so much. Also,this horse couldn't regain the form due to many reasons some which you mentioned,but also this horse was NEARLY RUN INTO THE GROUND. Many writers have stated this as well. RA deserved to go out better than in the manner she did. Stupid people "kill me" that they can't appreciate both horses Zenyatta/RA. They aren't fans,just chumps!

01 Jan 2011 7:07 PM

JAJ

We are in agreement regarding RA

01 Jan 2011 7:08 PM

THE TRUTH

Since obviously you suffer from a LEARNING DISABILITY,let me connect the dots for you. Ready? RA w-a-s-r-u-n-i-n-to-t-h-e-g-r-o-u-n-d!!!

Do you follow now? lol

01 Jan 2011 7:14 PM
Paula Higgins

The Truth, you are wrong about Rachel Alexandra. She was a great horse and she was more than respectable the following in 2010 considering how hard she ran the year before. Rachel was a true champion and no one can take that away from her, not even you. We know th real truth of the matter even of you don't.

On another note, Zenny continues to thrive at Lands End. She has a new friend in Pirate Queen and she likes the snow. That makes this fan very happy. I keep rewatching the video, it is just so wonderful.

01 Jan 2011 7:29 PM
The Truth

Relva,  OK that explains for everything on up to Sept of 09 , her last race, but now expain everything on up to the first start of her first race in March of 2010?  Why?  What happened.

The Truth will set you free only if you ACCEPT it.  No one gave me a right answer. NO answer can explain any of her 2010 campaign, because when you try to explain her 2010 campaign , you then have to try to adjust her 2009 camppaign and no one wants to ACCEPT the truth about it.

01 Jan 2011 7:30 PM

THE TRUTH

Here's your explanation, RA COULDN'T regain form due to being gutted in the Woodward. This horse was mismanaged and as a result they drained the tank in '09. That left little  last year. Are you going to deny the fact that the horses that RA lost to last yr,she wouldn't have blown by them in '09? This wasn't the same horse in 2010 and if you  are a fraction smart as you think,then this should be evident regarding RA. Horses aren't machines! Connections were greedy and paid for it!

01 Jan 2011 7:47 PM
The Truth

How do you explain Zenyatta running and winning in 7 races including the BCL in 2008 and coming back in 2009 and to run agaisnt males in the BCC and coming back in "10" and still winning races only to lose by a head in her 20 race?    What was so different from what Zenyatta done any differently than RA done?  How come RA couldnt regain her self as Zenyatta done?

Zenyatta ran in in 7 races in 2008 and the BCL being a four year old,  What happened to Rachel that after 8 races she couldnt bring herself back as Zenyata did in 2008?

01 Jan 2011 9:35 PM

THE TRUTH

Cause Zenyatta's connections NEVER gutted her,compared to RA's connections. Question? Do you remember that many horses that ran against RA in the Woodward never regained form? Zenyatta's connections placed her welfare first everytime,didn't happen that way for RA.

01 Jan 2011 11:27 PM
The Truth

Relva, A thoroughbred is born to RUN. Its in their genes, it is their livelyhood, its what they are bred to do.  What kind of thoroghbred is only good for running a smidgeon of their life when this is what they are bred to do, Then explain geldings, why is it most of them run for up to 8 years?  Is it maybe that the truth is RA was just another 'run of the mill' racing horse (nothing special) just boiled down to being a good racing horse for the time she ran, That being compared to a thoroughbred like Zenyatta being that she is a much better thoroughbred?  Wouldnt that make about the most logical point here?

Furthermore, those males that Rachel ran agaisnt in the Woodward, if I'm not mistakened, hadnt they ran a good couple of years and already were heading  out the door to retirement anyway?

That would explain how she was able to beat them so well, wouldnt it?

Like I said Relva,  Wouldnt it be truthful to say that in the end , RA was a good horse but not a great horse, like Zenyatta?

02 Jan 2011 7:30 AM

THE TRUTH

There's no doubt if RA hadn't changed owner and trainer, her career wouldn't ended in a flicker.

02 Jan 2011 4:26 PM
The Truth

Relva, Or maybe if RA had've faced those older females or those tougher males in the Travers or JGC, then maybe we could've all seen then what she was really capable of doing, instead of drawing our own conclusions of after her falling 2010 campaign.

I will agree Rachel would have more than likely took a much different path had she not been sold, Or, maybe Jess Jackson thought he had a second coming of a Zenyatta in his barn , just to proven that there is only one Zenyatta and she was never going to duplicated.

Wouldnt you also have to agree with what I have said all along, Rachel was a good horse , but not a great horse like Zenyatta. Remember, Jess did let her have all that time in the barn to get over her strenous run and Steve Asmussen has been training horses for a very long time.so they both seen that this filly should be able to run better than what she proved in 2010, right?  So,in the end, wouldnt it be the right thing to say that RA proved to be a good horse but not a great horse like Zenyatta?    Wouldnt it, Relva?

02 Jan 2011 4:39 PM

THE TRUTH

Are you trying to convince me or yourself?

02 Jan 2011 5:14 PM
The Truth

I want someone to man up and step up to the plate and admit the truth for once.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, Unlike others, I know the truth. I just want someone else to finally admit to it, but as usual no one has the guts.   Do you Relva?

02 Jan 2011 5:59 PM
sherpa

Anne, you asked for ideas for future blogs, so I'd like to repeat an earlier request for pictures (or at least some word) of Lord Avie and perhaps some of the other pensioned stallions at Lane's End.  Time is short. Lord Avie turned 33 yesterday...

02 Jan 2011 6:16 PM

THE TRUTH

Look,I don't have to be convinced of anything cause I was on Zenyatta from the beginning over 3 yrs ago,not after her first,second Breeders win. I don't think a horse has generated as much excitement since Secretariat. She's in a class by herself. And,one of my many trips to CA seen her race two yrs ago.

02 Jan 2011 6:33 PM
RosieGirl

Oh thank you so much for the gift of Zenyatta. She is just so special.Everytime I tried to tell people about her when she was racing, like her dancing and staying in the back only to give that special rush of her winnings, I would tear up... and now seeing her in this video... here I go again.

Keep the updates coming, they are so refreshing in these hard times. Thank all of you for the honor.

We love you Zenyatta!!!

02 Jan 2011 7:17 PM
The Truth

So, In the final Relva you agree with the truth, the truth is , like I said all along,  Rachel was a good horse and that she was, but Zenyatta is a great horse yes, and that she is because, SHE PROVED IT .........

In the end, all you need to do is to accept the truth and admit it, the truth will set you free.

02 Jan 2011 7:41 PM
chopman

Just a short story;;not sure what it has to do with the topic;? Got a call one afternoon from a trainer i knew , he was at ellis park (Henderson KY) Told me he had a nice filly 3y/o that needed a home ,Trainer said the owner called that morning,saying he was no longer paying  day rate, get rid of her; Ya guessed it ;; that was 20 years ago, still have her,with several other horses .Just the way she goes about ,for some strange reason, the mare has that shine in her eyes ,, never seen any thing like it .Horse of the year no concern ;;something HAS to be done for the unwanted horse besides NO ADOPTION::THEN DEATH

02 Jan 2011 11:23 PM
NebDiane

Fabulous film!!! I so love this horse.  Want to go to Lane's End next summer to see Zenyatta and Rock Hard Ten!  By the way, has he spotted her yet?  They would produce an incredible offspring!

03 Jan 2011 2:51 AM
grey32

The Truth I an certainly NOT a disgruntled Rachel fan. I am a Rachel fan and a Z fan and a person that loves horses period. There is no need to trash one horse in order to build up another only children with mental problems like you do that.

No one needs to explain anything to a dumb jerk like you. Z and RA were 2 different horses who had  2 very different careers. Z was almost 4 before you ran her first race, She was allowed to grow and mature before being asked to run hard. RA was 2 when she ran her first race. She a had grueling 3 yr old season and was being pushed, punished and gutted while still in the most important part of her growth period.

She is a wonderful filly that was flat out mishandled. Even if she failed as a 4yr which she didn't she doesn't need to apologize to the likes of you.

Go to your room back at the trailer park clown your annoying the adults.

Oh it was so nice seeing Z being a horse. I keep coming back and watching this video. I've sent it to a few friends who are having some hard times just to brighten their day. Great, Great video....

03 Jan 2011 3:39 PM
The Truth

Thankyou, grey32 and Relva, YOu both didnt want to be the ones to have to admit it, but you both admitted it.  The truth is , RA was a good horse BUT Zenyatta was a GREAT horse.   I understand neither of you wanted to be the ONE that had to admit it on here, because you were scared of attacks,  I am not scared of attacks, I love them.

You never came out and admitted the obvious, I knew you two wouldnt.  But when you dodged and dodged anyone with commmonsense and two eyes in their heads could very well READ between the lines.

Thankyou both for finally admitting THE TRUTH.  Remember,  THE TRUTH will set you free.  Don't you feel better now?

03 Jan 2011 4:21 PM

Top 10 Female Race Horses of All Time

#1

Zenyatta

Read more: sportsillustrated.cnn.com/.../content.10.html

Grey32 and Relva,  Sports Illustrated decided to help you two out a little bit,  since neither one of you were brave enough to do it.  The Truth is and so is SI.  Rachel is at #5. Like I said and we all agree on,  Rachel was a good horse but Zenyatta was a GREAT horse.

03 Jan 2011 6:07 PM

THE TRUTH

What's your deal,man? You act as if you've introduced me to Zenyatta's greatness. Told you,I was on her from almost the beginning. You don't have to educated me on Zenyatta,maybe you've never saw all my posts on different blogs over the past 3 yrs.

03 Jan 2011 6:59 PM

THE TRUTH

No,I'm not afraid of attacks. Maybe you haven't read the many shots I've taken from defending Zenyatta and connections over the past couple of yrs.

04 Jan 2011 11:22 AM
rainbowrunfarm

I breed and raise race horses on a small scale.  I just want to say "THANK YOU" to all the connections of Zenyatta for allowing people to meet and know her up close and personal.  Not many owners/trainers would be comfortable with doing that.  Thank you to Zenyatta for allowing us access, and being the special horse she is (not just as a race horse, but as a personality).  Her good and kind nature makes all of this possible.

I wish this would stop being a forum for the RA vs. Z debate.  They are both wonderful animals and athletes.  Please do not bash one to build the other.

Thanks for the wonderful video - she truly looks amazing and happy!!!

04 Jan 2011 1:25 PM
mitsy

Every horse deserves a Mario and Carmen!!!! What great caregivers they are. She won for THEM!!!!

06 Jan 2011 11:47 AM
Bajimari

In the video of that day while running across the paddock, Zenyatta stops abruptly at the fence and looks beyond it as if to say, "I want to go! Let me run!"

10 Jan 2011 2:13 AM
Windolin

Thank you so much for the video. I agree with one of the other comments, that she has the potential of a dressage horse...her extended walk was poetry. It is so wonderful to see how Lands End has brought her down from the racing schedule and that her owners are letting her be a horse for a few months before she starts her new career. There is nothing quite so beautiful as a happy and healthy horse running free.

11 Jan 2011 12:07 PM
JAJ

I have to make a comment to all who want Zenyatta to try Dressage.

There was a recent study on stereotypic behaviors such as stall walking, weaving, head shaking, etc.  These kinds of behaviors are somewhat indicative of stress--certainly they will increase when a horse is in stressful situations.  The study found that dressage horses had the most stereotypic behaviors, followed by racehorses.  Broodmares had the least.

The take away message is that dressage is a very stressful profession for a horse, even more so than racing.

If you don't want to believe me about the study, just remember that a horse swishing its tail in the ring is penalized.  It is very regimented--there is no self expression on the part of the horse.

I think Zenyatta living her life as naturally as possible is one of the best lives we could wish on her.  She will be out in a field most of the time with girl friends and if we are lucky, with a foal.  Rest assured, she will never be abused, neglected or her well being compromised.  She couldn't have a better life.

Be thankful that she will have this wonderful life.

11 Jan 2011 4:27 PM
paul

She looks very happy an contented, I'm hoping that Mr&Mrs Moss will make the rite Choice and we will all see Big Z's offspring taring up the race track in 2014. I'm voting for any one of two, first Mr.A.P.Indy or Mr.Curlin.

15 Jan 2011 2:52 PM
paul

In my mind if they give her horse of the year or not I'm happy to know she was unmatched in her racing carrier. Trophy or not she will be my horse of the year an I hope she is as fortunate in her new carrier as she was at the track.  Please say who will be the lucky guy soon the suspense is killing me.

16 Jan 2011 11:25 AM
diastu

CONGRATULATIONS!!! To TEAM ZENYATTA and the beyond words fabulous HORSE OF THE YEAR, DECADE, and CENTURY - ZENYATTA!!! [Yes, all CAPS - I'm yelling so loud they're gonna call the cops on me!]

17 Jan 2011 10:03 PM
shesfast

I love this video!!! Thank You so much Team Z and Lanes End!

I hope that there will continue to be many more Zenyatta videos like this one. She is such a special horse! Thank you for sharing with us!

19 Jan 2011 4:33 PM
shesfast

I have an idea...Zenyatta Valentines Day video!!! We will soon be getting to know who the lucky guy that gets to date Z is. LOL maybe a dating show video. Maybe Steve and Lenny could do that for their show. I think they could have fun with that.

19 Jan 2011 4:38 PM
HEATHER ALLAN

well zenny,you will hve the best foal,so will rachel! keep well princess,quee!

17 Mar 2011 10:57 PM