Zenyatta Is Looking Good

Mathea Kelley is our next guest blogger/photographer here at Through the Lens.

BIO: Mathea is originally from New York and a graduate of Cornell University. She loves horses and the Bluegrass state which she now calls home. Part of the Lane’s End Farm photography and video team, Mathea regularly takes photos of foals and broodmares at the farm. Mathea plans to share her Zenyatta sessions with fans right here at ThroughTheLensBlog.com. Special thanks to Zenyatta’s connections and the Lane’s End Farm team for this opportunity.

Winter in Kentucky can be tough; ice, snow, rain, mud, and a few sunny days, make the arrival of warmer weather much anticipated. March came in like a lamb with a few warm sunny days and I was able to spend some time photographing Zenyatta at Lane’s End Farm. The last time I took pictures of Zenyatta it was so cold her whiskers were frozen!!
Zenyatta in Snow
Order this Photo.

I am still awed by her physical presence every time I see her; she towers over her pasture mates. Zenyatta is more like the gentle giant than the dominate bully, happy and content to "be a horse" hanging out with her pasture buddies, rolling in the mud and munching on the new shoots of grass.

My visit happened to occur on a day when Zenyatta was getting a special guest later that afternoon. Mrs. Moss was going to stop by, so it was time for a bath and shine. She wasn’t really that muddy, as she had the full spa treatment last week when she went to visit Bernardini. Some of her buddies, especially PQ, looked like they had a lot of fun in the mud!  Zenyatta came in for a dinner of sweetfeed and aloe vera gel at 3 pm. Her stash of peppermints were right by her stall for when she finished her grain.

About 3:30 pm she had a bath in preparation for a special visit.
Thankfully the afternoon sun was warm! Zenyatta didn’t seem too bothered by the bath. Matt Martinez, Guillermo Escalera and Lorna Poole worked quickly, they even got out the Ivory soap to clean her white socks. After her bath it was time for some hand grazing in the sunshine. Charles Campbell and Sarah Campion brought the barn crew some ice cream and everyone took a break for a few minutes. All in a days work. Hope you enjoy my images below. Stay tuned to ThroughTheLensBlog.com for future updates on Zenyatta and her friends at Lane's End Farm. Let me know which image you guys liked the best!
Zenyatta 1
Zenyatta 2
Zenyatta 3
Zenyatta and Friends
Zenyatta at Lane's End
Bath Time 1
Bath Time 2
Bath Time 3

Bath Time 5

LauraJ

I'm supposed to pick a favorite?!! They're all lovely. If I have to choose, I'll take the one where she is peering over her back. I also love the frozen chin whiskers and the group shot of Z and her gal-pals ambling up the path.

And thank you for the pictures and article. I can never get too much of Zenyatta.

14 Mar 2011 6:02 PM
wee-o

They are all great and any head shot of our Queen and HOY is to be treasured.  How we miss her!!!  Thank you for allowing us to "visit" with her and will be glad to see any pix you have.

14 Mar 2011 6:12 PM
Alex

Love the updates of Zenyatta. And the pictures are beautiful.  But I would love some updates of Rachel Alexandra. And pictures would be awesome too.

14 Mar 2011 6:15 PM
Susie

Thank you so much for the photos.  She is drop-dead gorgeous.  I'm so glad she's such a happy girl.

14 Mar 2011 6:15 PM
sherpa

They're all great, Matthea, but the 3rd one down in the bath set (head shot) made me laugh. Our girl always knows when a camera is pointing her way, doesn't she? LOL

Great to see these - thank you!

14 Mar 2011 6:23 PM
GJU

Only Zenyatta can make frozen whiskers look adorable! All of the pictures are great, but "frozen whiskers" and the one of the four of them walking in twos is pretty cute. Nice job!

14 Mar 2011 6:34 PM
Cheryl

Fantastic photos! Love Zenyatta and  so glad that we are still getting current news on her.

14 Mar 2011 6:34 PM
Fran

They are all beautiful.  She looks very peaceful.  I think my favorite is the one with the soap all over her face.  Her eyes tell the story-"Oh, please!"

14 Mar 2011 6:35 PM
Bill Burkimsher

She is so special.  Great pics!

14 Mar 2011 6:39 PM
Sharon

Frozen Whiskers!!  Walking with her buddies to the paddock!!  Soap in her face!!   I'd love to see a picture of her rolling in the grass!  Thanks for keeping us in touch with Queen Z -

14 Mar 2011 6:42 PM
Karen in Texas

I like the frosty whiskers and the face washing pictures the most! Thanks for keeping us updated! It appears she is content in her broodmare surroundings...

14 Mar 2011 6:43 PM
Karey R

Mathea,

Great photos! What a darling girl she is, and what a super job you have!

14 Mar 2011 6:44 PM
Jill

Mathea, thanks so much for sharing the wonderful article and beautiful pictures of Zenyatta...I love them all!!  I never get tired of seeing pictures of our pretty girl!!

Thanks again :)

14 Mar 2011 6:46 PM
WILD HORSES

I don't think it would be possible for me to pick 1 picture of Big Z out as my favorite, she is absolutely gorgeous in all of them!

Thanks so much to BH, LE and everyone else for keeping her fans updated on her with pictures. I'm glad her and her tiny dancer are doing well. I have to say I still miss the excitement of her on the track, because no other horse is as thrilling to me as her, but I'm so glad to see how happy and healthy she is at LE. They are doing a great job taking such wonderful care of her. LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!!

14 Mar 2011 6:57 PM
Shortskinnylady

Thank you BH and thank you Lane's End for these photos and story! She looks so good, seems so happy and relaxed, and enjoying her retirement. I, too, never tire of seeing photos of her as time goes along. PLEASE keep them coming!

14 Mar 2011 7:07 PM
Nina

Thank you for sharing your visit and photos of Zenyatta.  She looks fabulous and hasn't lost her girlish figure in the least.  I'm glad to hear that Mrs. Moss dropped in to see her girl; I can't imagine how much they miss her back in CA.  It's reassuring to know that Zenny is obviously thriving on living the "just a regular horse" life.  There's nothing she's not good at!

14 Mar 2011 7:08 PM
Barbara Bowen

"The Dream Queen!" Pregnancy becomes her. Something tells me that she will excel at everything she does, including "being a broodmare!

14 Mar 2011 7:13 PM
SusieQ

Choose a favorite?  Any picture of Zenny is a fav.  I swear, this mare does not take a bad picture...ever.  How lucky the folks are at LE to have her in their presence.  She definitely has an "aura" that you can feel through the pictures.  Thank you so much for allowing us to see her through your lens and I especially like knowing there will be more.

14 Mar 2011 7:20 PM
slew crew

Just think Zens prance and Slews war dance. What a beast. That colt/filly should 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

14 Mar 2011 7:42 PM
Michelle

I like the 2nd picture and the last one the best but they are all great.  Thanks for sharing with us.  How lucky are you to do this for a living? I am envious.

14 Mar 2011 7:44 PM
furrari

I love the frosty whiskers and the face washing pictures the most! Thanks for keeping us updated! It appears she is content in her broodmare surroundings...

14 Mar 2011 7:47 PM
Pedigree Shelly

What awesome photos of Zen !I cannot wait to see her Bernardini foal !! I hope all goes well ! They should produce a stunning baby !

14 Mar 2011 7:49 PM
Merry

This amazing mare has continued to do everything right.

14 Mar 2011 7:50 PM
Ethel

As always the queen of TB's is gorgeous can't wait for that foal she lives in infamy, love her Wish I could hug her ! love over the shoulder look photo !

14 Mar 2011 7:52 PM
backside sweetie

Thanks so much Mathea for the great pictures of our girl Z!!They are all beautiful,but I think my favorite is the frozen whiskers.It gives the people who haven't been blessed with the chance to be around horses daily as a job to see how picturesque horses can be.Each season or day can be wonderful.Seeing them with  their racing tack is gorgeous,but awenatural is magnificent!Great job!! All Hail the Queen

14 Mar 2011 7:54 PM
darlene

Love to see Zenyatta sure wish they would let her fans visit her  please keep the updates coming also of rachel love her also

14 Mar 2011 8:18 PM
Jean

Thanks for posting pics of this magnificent Mare. Favorite- over the shoulder glance! Her foals are much anticipated to carry on her legacy.

14 Mar 2011 8:20 PM
Ohio Horselover

Very difficult to pick a favorite, but I do like snow, so the "Frozen Whiskers" gets the nod, since my own horse's muzzle looked like this much of the winter ! Bbbrrrr. Zenyatta is so beautiful, all the photos are great.  Thanks for keeping us posted with the pics.

14 Mar 2011 8:25 PM
JK

So nice to see Z in her daily routine. Can't wait for the foal pictures! Hope you are right there with your camera Mathea.

14 Mar 2011 8:32 PM
Darla

I agree with Laura....they're all great!!  Looking forward to this blog!!

14 Mar 2011 8:42 PM
annie

Every single one is GREAT!

14 Mar 2011 8:49 PM
Jan

Love them all, thank you for sharing them with us - what treasures!

14 Mar 2011 8:50 PM
Barbara W

Our darling girl. Impossible to pick a favorite. Thank you so much for sharing with us!

14 Mar 2011 8:56 PM
Paula Higgins

Matthea these are all so wonderful!!!! But the frozen whiskers picture makes me smile ear to ear. She is just the most gorgeous girl on the planet, bar none. Thank you so much for your post and pictures. it is so much appreciated!

14 Mar 2011 9:02 PM
diastu

Lovely to see candid pics of the Queen. My two favs are Icy Whiskers for its "I'm just a happy horsie" quality, and the next one down for its "pin-up gorgeous" beauty and composition. Nice compare and contrast capture. Thank you for sharing all of these!

14 Mar 2011 9:02 PM
robin from michigan

She's still as gorgeous now, as she has ever been since we first started watching her race. Can we please also have some updates on Rachel Alexandra and have some pictures of her as well.

14 Mar 2011 9:05 PM
sushyne

I can't get enough of Zenyatta either. She's such a sweet and well-behaved horse. So lovely. Love all of the photos especially the one of her peering over her shoulder, the one where we see the whites of her eyes, and the ones with her buddies and the staff surrounding her...

14 Mar 2011 9:08 PM
Allie

They're all beautiful, just like her.  My favorites have to be the one where she's getting her face washed, and the one where Zen's just standing round with her buddies.  It's awesome that she's in foal!  I'll be really suprised if the foal is anything but bay. She's awesome!!!

14 Mar 2011 9:09 PM
Jean

Thank you for sharing the pictures.

She is heautiful.  I love every picture of her.

14 Mar 2011 9:14 PM
Susan from Oregon

Definitely I pick the frozen whiskers pose.  A California gal in frozen Kentucky--it's quite a new experience for her. Your photography is very good.

14 Mar 2011 9:16 PM
Coach

Thank you for sharing.  All the photos are quite lovely!

14 Mar 2011 9:30 PM
Zenyatta Mondatta

It just makes us miss her even more on the tracks this year.  Glad to see her retired and happy but I still miss her so much running on the tracks and putting on her beautiful antics before each race.

All these pictures are just beautiful, can't pick any certain one.  Thank you so much for letting us know that there is more to come,  makes me so happy.

Miss you so much "Z".  this year is so lonely without you.  You kept us so entertained for the past three years.

14 Mar 2011 9:35 PM
Zenyatta Mondatta

Also love the fact that Lane's End is giving you a special photographer and video team to document your everyday life.  They know how special you are, You're a celebrity, a Cali girl, superstar.  You are Zenyatta.

14 Mar 2011 9:39 PM
quarterhossgal

I have so much in my Zenyatta collection but never enough when I see such great pictures of Queen Z.

The picture are super, I'll just have to review them many times to pick a favorite one of our special girl.  As Zenny would say they are all "too cute".

14 Mar 2011 9:53 PM
Flora

Hard to pick a favorite, but I love the one where she is getting her bath and her coat is all shiny as she stands like a statue - it shows how perfectly put together she is. Thanks for the Queen Zen update!

14 Mar 2011 10:13 PM
txhorsefan

Thank you, thank you!!  What a great blog and the photos are all too great for me to be able to choose a favorite.  How wonderful that you are sharing these pictures with her fans - count this fan as very grateful!

14 Mar 2011 10:19 PM
Margaret

Are you kidding that I'm suppose to pick one that I like best????!!!!  There is NO WAY!!!!!  Z takes a great pic no matter which way you look at it--she just seems to know whenever that camera is on her!!!

She is utterly amazing.  For such a big animal she is so gentle-she lets her fans approach to take pic with her and doesn't try to bite or kick them.  She just knows that people love her.

And yes, I can wait for her baby.  If I go crazy today--I'll never be able to get through the next abt 330 days.  But ask me the third week of Jan 2012 how I am--I'll be a nervous pacing wreck!!!!  Everyone will be on foal watch!

14 Mar 2011 10:28 PM
LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

Thankyou for the gorgeous Zenyatta pics, Fulfilled my gotta have me some Zenyatta for the day.  She is a gorgeous mare and she sparkles more and more each and every time I see her.  She is the brightest star I have ever seen.  She looks like she is a very happy and loved horse!  Love & Blessings to her!

14 Mar 2011 10:32 PM
Jan from Houston

Zenny  looks fabulous in every picture. My favorite  is her strolling  and chilling with the girls. Thank you Mathea and Lane's End for taking care and keeping our Zenny healthy and happy.

14 Mar 2011 11:20 PM
Shelby's Best Pal

Loved them all.  Thanks for sharing.

14 Mar 2011 11:21 PM
nyracinggrl39

The photos that I live are the one where she is looking at the camera with her head over the fence, the head shot after she got her bath (last photo), and the second photo where she had her head turned to the left. I look forward to the updates of Zenyatta when they come in. She is going to be a good mother.

14 Mar 2011 11:23 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Thank you, Mathea, for these great shots.  I like the 2nd one from the top the best, it is classic, statuesque Zenyatta.  Please photograph her during her pregnancy stages for us.  Good to see her with her buddies, PQ and the others.  Get a shot of PQ's bridle tag if you can in the future, one great BH blogger Linda actually bought it for PQ and we would all like to see it.  Looking forward to the updates and photos, thanking you and Lane's End and Team Z.  We love her so.

14 Mar 2011 11:25 PM
PATTI IN CARLSBAD

THESE PHOTOS ARE JUST TOO CUTE!  THANKS FOR SHARING.

14 Mar 2011 11:30 PM
PenelopeC

I think you can tell by the response that updates on Zenyatta are GREATLY appreciated by the thousands and thousands of people around the country and the world that love this extraordinary horse. Keep the stories and pictures coming - and give the Queen all of our love.

14 Mar 2011 11:35 PM
AnitaLovesZenyatta

Thank you so much for these current pictures of her.  I miss her so much.  I love them all, but the snowy whiskers is really adorable.

14 Mar 2011 11:45 PM
Jennifer

Wow!  That last headshot of her is absolutely stunning!!!

14 Mar 2011 11:51 PM
Judy G Loves Zenny/California

Thanks so much for this... keeps me close to her. We miss her here in California, but I'm so happy for The Queen!

14 Mar 2011 11:52 PM
Deltalady

PULEEEEZ, next time, get a picture of her rolling in the dirt or grass!!!! I've seen some pictures of her when you could tell she had been in the dirt but we have not actually been able to witness it.  Great pictures....she looks great, still.  Would love to see more pictures of her in her pasture activities with her buddies.  We all crave "activity" type photos of her.  She has been photographed up close literally thousands of times, but seeing her "being a horse" is such a joy, and just not enough of those shots.  Thanks to you and to Lane's End to add a pro photographer for all their horses, but especially Zenyatta.  Look forward to many more pictures.

15 Mar 2011 12:05 AM
connie cartier

I cannot get enough to see the photos of the queen she made my day she is so gorgeous missed her running on the truck,but as long she's happy and halthy and safe am delighted and contend thank you so much for the new photos and update,I appreciated it very much.

15 Mar 2011 12:50 AM
Dottie Combest

Frozen whiskers is cute but it kinda makes you feel sorry for her being in the cold like that ~ the photo (2nd one down) she looks sooooo pensive ~ makes you wonder what she is thinking about ??? and of-course the two by two walking down the path is an adorable shot also, so glad they ALL get along so well ~ NOT like stallions who would fight all the time ~ that's what makes broodmares so likable ~ they love to "buddy up" and they are so loyal to their buddies !!!

15 Mar 2011 1:19 AM
maryann727

Thank you, thank you!  My favorite without a doubt is the first.  What a picture perfect portrait that captures her presence and beauty.  The frozen whiskers add to the delight.

Ms. Kelley, I envy your getting to photograph Zenyatta.  You have a dream job.  Please keep the photo updates coming and thank you again.

15 Mar 2011 1:38 AM
OraJean Stevenson

Mathea, these photos are wonderful.  Thanks for sharing.  If I have to choose one, I guess it would be the one of Zenny looking over the fence.  Maybe she's watching for Ann Moss's car, coming up the driveway!?!  Of course, "Frozen Whiskers" is in a class of it's own!!

15 Mar 2011 2:23 AM
Freetex

Love the Z photos!

The frozen whiskers is unique and so Zen.

The last photo is a stunner as well.  Hmmmm, hard to choose.

15 Mar 2011 2:31 AM
Between Friends

All of these photos are fabulous. She looks so happy with all of her new friends. She knows she is very much loved. The second photo where Zenyatta is looking over her right shoulder would be my favorite if I had to choose. (Although the last photo where she is looking at the camera after her bath would be given a prominent place in my home as well.)

Thanks for sharing them with all of us.

15 Mar 2011 2:38 AM
Zen4Zen

What lovely photos of the great, beautiful, and sweet Zenyatta!  My favorite might be the one in which her whiskers are frozen, but they're all terrific.  Thanks so much, Mathea, and thanks to all your connections at Land's End, and of course to Z's connections too, for sharing them with us!

15 Mar 2011 5:39 AM
Susan W.

Love the frozen whiskers!

15 Mar 2011 6:43 AM
Rachel

Must be getting warm to give a preggo an outdoor bath!

15 Mar 2011 6:58 AM
Becky R.

I LOVE the frozen whiskers shot! Shows her "being a horse." Too cute...gonna have to order that one! Thanks Mathea!

15 Mar 2011 7:00 AM
texaszippeee

My favorite pic is the frozen whiskers.  Of course I love the others, too.  She is photogenic.  I wish I was there taking pictures with you.

15 Mar 2011 7:49 AM
carleen in ca

Thank you Mathea for sharing special photos of Zenyatta.

My favorites are #1-the snow nose,

#3-looking over her shoulder and of course the last photo. She looks to be saying "I'm ready for my special visit, don't I look pretty!"

Thank you again for sharing!

15 Mar 2011 8:20 AM
horseman

how can you not love those frozen whiskers.  great pics.  love seeing her being a horse....

15 Mar 2011 8:54 AM
Love 'em all

Welcome, Mathea, and thank you for this marvelous treat.  You do wonderful work ... all the pics are great.

The winner is ... "Frozen Whiskers"!  What a hoot ... and so different than Zenyatta's usual shots.  I love it!

Gotta add pic #3 ... she knows how to use those eyes.  Pics #5 & #6 with 'the girls' are very nice.  Pic #12 looks like she's saying "Only Olay for this face!"

The last pic is a winner too ... shows how much those 'banana cravings' have paid off by making her coat so shiny.

What a treat this has been, and hope you visit us again real soon.  Tell Zenyatta we love her dearly!

15 Mar 2011 9:03 AM
Jenna M

How lucky are they? I wish I worked at LE and cared for her. My good golly. I'd thank my lucky stars...I'd never leave work :>

15 Mar 2011 9:04 AM
Saddle57

Thanks so much for the pictures! Queen Z knows when there is a camera around. My favorite is the second headshot. She seems so at peace. Lovely.

15 Mar 2011 9:09 AM
MJ

Enjoyed all the photos, thank you! I like the frozen whiskers-it reminds me of my earlier days coping with horses in the winter<

15 Mar 2011 9:19 AM
derbyfan

Can't pick a favorite.  Love them all!

15 Mar 2011 9:33 AM
Susan

They are all my favorites...any picture of Z is great, just keep them coming.....so glad she's happy. I would just love to touch her.

15 Mar 2011 10:13 AM
Zemonized

Zenny looks great from any angle!!  "Frozen Whiskers" 1st,  "Soapy Face" 2nd by a bubble over "Closing Shot". Can't get enough of her magnificent head and THOSE EYES...  Thanks a million for sharing!!!

15 Mar 2011 10:18 AM
HCD

Are you kidding???!!! They are all fabulous. Love every one. Don't care if Zen's alone or with her gal pals. They are all keepers. Thank you so much! PLEASE keep them coming. New photos of the Queen are limited lately.

Mathea, Team Z, Lane's End, BH: you all keep us smiling with any and every update. Would like to hear how PQ, Alys and SG are doing in the mating department in future updates of Magnificent Z.

15 Mar 2011 10:26 AM
Zens Auntie

Thanks so much for these – keep em coming!

It’s the bath in the sun for me she exemplifies absolute radiance.  The one where you can only see her perfect Hind end looks just like her baby pictures.

She still looks like she would have enjoyed running down ANY of the boys this weekend.  I wonder what she weighs now?  Really gorgeous females look better in fuller flesh what a KNOCKOUT.

15 Mar 2011 10:42 AM
Judy Sims from Florida

Great pictures. My favorite is her snowy whiskers but I love them all. She is such a formidable specimen and so photogenic. You have been wonderfully able to capture her essence in all the pictures you have taken. Keep up the good work. Zenyata fans are insatiable when it comes to news and pictures of her. Thanks so much for providing our "Zen Fix!"

15 Mar 2011 10:50 AM
Lauren

I love the one where Z's face is all soapie. She has a look in here ye that says "This is futile...The mud and I will be friends again soon!"

15 Mar 2011 10:59 AM
shuttleworth

Thank you for the wonderful photos of Zenny... What a stunner she is! Glad she's doing well; she's a good story when there is so much tragedy in the world right now...

15 Mar 2011 11:06 AM
sentinel

I have such a craving for px of Zenyatta that I loved every one of them. Thanks so much.  Her happiness is my happiness.  May she stay healthy and have a healthy foal next year.

15 Mar 2011 11:16 AM
MyBigRed

I loved every one of the photos. THANK YOU for sharing them with us.

15 Mar 2011 11:30 AM
Sue

I just love the frozen whiskers..So adorable..Thank you for such beautiful photo's of our Zenyatta..Can't ever get enough of her..

15 Mar 2011 11:52 AM
Deb

Will enjoy any pic, any time of Z.

Shes the best!!

15 Mar 2011 12:08 PM
Giddyup

The only pic of Zen I don't enjoy seeing is that one where Blame got his head in front. Thanks for sharing these nice shots from Lanes End.

15 Mar 2011 12:25 PM
MRO

Love Z with her buddies!

15 Mar 2011 1:03 PM
Stephanie Q

Thanks for the blog! Queen Z still loves the Camera!

15 Mar 2011 1:24 PM
Barry M

Mathea,

Loved the photos of Queen Z.  Did you happen to get any photos of Pirate Queen as well as Be Fair?  Please let me know because I would be interested in purchasing photos of them.  Thanks a lot in advance and good luck. Take care I appreciate it.

15 Mar 2011 1:25 PM
Zens Auntie

Giddy I disagree, that was perhaps the Queens finest moment the one that defined her greatness as a superb unquestionable racemare. Perhaps even more than any other race.

I could go on an on about all the stuff I love about her but from the viewpoint of the shear perfection of Equine components I ask you too just  look at the pictures of her wet (looking away so you are not distracted from her stunning visage) and take her in, I love these legs even if the right front has a funny little tweak head on) I love how even her knee and hock are and that closers hind leg is stuff of legend.

I say she will positively influence dressage horses if prepotent.

15 Mar 2011 1:49 PM
Mary Margaret from Georgia

I love all the pictures of Zenyatta, especially her snowy whiskers and her stroll with her gal pals.  She is the most beautiful creature on God's good earth.  Great article.  Thanks for the pictures, keep them coming.  You are very talented.

15 Mar 2011 2:07 PM
Diana

She is the most amazing horse I have ever seen!  How could you go wrong with any photo of Zenyatta?  She is simply the best ever and I love all of those pictures.  She is such a sweetie and you can tell she is really happy which is the best thing of all.  thank you for sharing.

15 Mar 2011 2:25 PM
Alex

I love the frozen whiskers, great shot. All the pics are good....

Thank you for posting these for us!

15 Mar 2011 2:32 PM
Harriett

Great photographs of an intriguing horse.  Thank you so much for sharing them with Zenyatta's fans!

15 Mar 2011 2:48 PM
carolyn k

WOW Queen Z These Photos are SUPER...Love your Snow Whiskers!!!1

Peppermint Kisses and Hugs XOXO!!!!!

15 Mar 2011 3:03 PM
Samantha

Ah, those lucky few who were able to bathe the greatest race horse. All the photos are amazing, no photo can be taken bad of Zenny. Excellent shots!

15 Mar 2011 3:05 PM
We love Zenyatta in Massachusetts

It's wonderful to know that the folks at Lane's End Farm recognize that Queen Z's growing legion of fans have an insatiable need for updates and photos.

Thank you, Mathea, and congratulations on these wonderful photos! Z is marvelous from any angle, but the frozen whiskers shot is simply full of personality. But they are all great, can't wait for more.

Thanks again!

15 Mar 2011 3:05 PM
Raye Source

I agree with the first comment of Laura.  It's like she read my mind.

1.  Head looking back to see who was looking back at me.

2.  Ladies out for a leisurely pasture stroll

3.  Frozen whiskers, poor baby.

15 Mar 2011 3:08 PM
Wendy B

I love all of the pictures, make me feel that I am right there visiting with Zenyatta. Thank you and can't wait until you post more!

15 Mar 2011 3:29 PM
Morgan

All of the pictures are beautiful. But if I had to pick one, it would be the one of her looking over the fence.

15 Mar 2011 3:44 PM
Delrene

As her friend and wonderful "assistant" Dottie would say, all the pictures are TOO CUTE!!!  Thanks for all of them.  Couldn't choose.  She is having a wonderful life with a lovely home, good friends, good food and family to visit.

15 Mar 2011 3:56 PM
Soldier Course

I love the sorority shot. Makes me feel reassured about her situation.

Thanks so much for all these lovely photos.

15 Mar 2011 4:01 PM
clquick1234

they're all great shots.  The best is the one with snow on her whiskers though!

thanks!

15 Mar 2011 5:23 PM
RGGC

Great shots all! Thank you for sharing. Glad to know I will another place to get my Zen fix.

Please keep it all coming!

15 Mar 2011 6:31 PM
maryann727

Always enjoy reading comments from Zen's fans.  This is a favorite from this blog:

Zens Auntie 15 Mar 2011 1:49 PM

"I say she will positively influence dressage horses if prepotent."

I also think dressage sport horse when I look at Zenyatta.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if she becomes the foundation mare for an American "breed" of dressage horse.  Enjoyed reading your thoughts about Z.

Thank you to all who post such inspiring and interesting comments about Zen.  She such a force for goodwill and love.

15 Mar 2011 6:46 PM
Kate

All lovely, but I love the frozen whiskers best!  Thanks for posting.

15 Mar 2011 6:49 PM
Dani

Mathea - you've really done a fantastic job of capturing some of the many faces of Zenyatta. It seems impossible to pick a favorite - each one tells a story about the Queen and she is Ms. Photogenic after all. But if I had to pick a few on a dare I would go with the last one - exquisite beauty, the first one - frosty the snow queen, and the one with the four ladies on a leisurely afternoon stroll (such wonderful contentedness between the four of them - plus my little favorite Pirate Queen is next to her favorite friend in the world).  I loved your narration as well. You must have had such a joyous time being around Zenyatta. Thank you so much for all these beautiful photographs. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

15 Mar 2011 6:55 PM
Sally B.

I loved especially the 2nd & 3rd; but, it is stunning Z so I love them all from frozen whiskers to soap all over!! Just look at her beautiful body! If you ever need assistance, someone to hold your camera equipment or something, just e-mail--I'll come running!! Thank you for Zen's pictures.

15 Mar 2011 7:19 PM
Bobbi

They're all lovely, Mathea! I have to say I like "frozen whiskers" the best, though.

15 Mar 2011 7:50 PM
Paula McCaleb

Mathea - what a dream job you have.  Great photo's.  There's 4 that I really like.  1)Frozen Whiskers 2) Z and her pals walking away 3) Soap in her face 4) the Last one.  But, the one I may have to order, which is my favorite one "Frozen Whiskers" - that's the winner shot!

15 Mar 2011 8:06 PM
Marian M.

Thank you for these photos. My favorites are the one of Queen Z with frozen whiskers and the one in which she's walking off to turnout with her three pasture mates. But they're all wonderful. It's good to see the girl doing so well.

15 Mar 2011 8:24 PM
Amy

Great photos. All were quite nice of her. It is hard to pick a favorite.  I remember seeing her receive a bath from Mario. She looked so happy in those days. She looks content here and seems to understand this is her new home. I wonder if bathing was discussed during their changing of the guards. They all have their querks at bathtime.

For those asking about Rachel. She is going to have visitors at their farm so go to Stonestreet website and see when that will be. I think I read where they are going to plan some nice things for her fans. It was all in the same announcement. You can take your own photos... :>)

Hopefully Lanes End will soon find it safe enough for fans to visit Zenyatta as well. Her diary and photos, such as these, keep her spirit going but visitation rights would be even better.

15 Mar 2011 9:04 PM
Robyn Mullhausen

Wow, 4 "Hairdressers" at the same time! That is some wonderful Spa treatment. Zenny cleans up as beautiful as ever.  Thanks for the article and the excellent photos. That first one with the frozen whiskers is a classic. :)

15 Mar 2011 9:34 PM
Zens Auntie

MaryAnn727 I'm glad you think of her that way too.

My kids and I wax poetic about the day we can get some of her blood somehow. Hey, wanna hear a day dream?

I Hope she has a fine colt; a big stout flat kneed, low hocked, gaskin that goes on forever, laidback shoulder, long balanced necked, sultry over-striding panther walking athlete so they have a real reason not to cut him and they race him and he retires sound and Adena stands him and they breed him to EVERYONE especially flat kneed low hocked endurance style mares with large heart factor and then the scraggly colts with Awesome legs and  genetics can be picked up for a song. Yeah like that - then I can get one at Saratoga and bring him home to Idaho and my daugher will fool with him and runa nd jump and he can Improve these awful postlegged Paint horses... giving a the TB QH and especially the homozygous Mare owner a real option in this WASTELAND of quality horses that is the Northwest – what do you think? LOL too much time driving around I think… ;^)

15 Mar 2011 9:36 PM
Sue W

Love them all!  And to think many of us were so worried about how she would adjust to her new life.  Every photo taken since her retirement shows how happy she is and how exquisitely she is cared for by the folks at LE.  Ann Moss has pure love in her eyes when she looks at Zenny.  It was destiny for her to be placed in the Mosses hands and then trained by the true Zenmaster.  We are so blessed to be connected to her still.

15 Mar 2011 10:00 PM
nina

The frozen whiskers is absolutely precious. I could not stop laughing.#1 is beautiful. #5 looks like the girls are going out for a good time.

15 Mar 2011 10:43 PM
Karen

Thank you, Mathea, for most gorgeous photos of exquisite Zenyatta. My favorite is the one with the frozen whiskers. It is so adorable. What a great photographer you are. Zenyatta's name says it all--Top Of The World. The best name ever for the best girl. Thanks so much , again.

15 Mar 2011 11:10 PM
Pat

I have never had the opportunity of even seeing her, little own touching her.  I was thinking maybe I can take my dog over the border if she has all the shots, I've been in Kentucky on my way hom from North Carolina, and down the road to Paris, I was so thrilled to see all the farms you hear about.

15 Mar 2011 11:22 PM
saharagold

Please forgive my ignorance, but the only way to learn things is to ask.  I noticed when I visited the Queen at Hollywood Park, and by looking at these bath pics, that the Thoroughbred industry does not place their horses in crossties to bathe/groom them.  Why is that?

15 Mar 2011 11:33 PM
Pam

Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures of Zenyatta. My favorite is the one with the frozen whiskers. I will keep on returning, being a daily follower of Queen Z. Thank you again so much.

15 Mar 2011 11:49 PM
maryann727

Zens Auntie ~ Keep dreaming about Zenyatta and sharing them with her fans.  To have a horse with Zen's blood is a great dream to imagine and hold onto.

16 Mar 2011 12:24 AM
Melissa

Love to see Zen, she still looks great and it is fun to see her with all her girl friends.  Looks like she has aclimated so well.  Thank you for sharing all the photos.

16 Mar 2011 1:16 AM
SHIRLEY and EMP

We love the photos of you , what a great job , I just hope it was not to cold for a bath you look alittle chilly but then again I am  in N.Y. and it is cold here but warming up..Keep the photos coming, love them so much as I love you dear ZENYATTA

16 Mar 2011 4:16 AM
Katherine

What I love the most about these photos is the way you captured Zenyatta's sweet, gentle spirit. If I have to choose a favorite I choose frosty whiskers but over the shoulder and the last picture are wonderful too. Very hard to choose just one! Thank you for the blog and lovely photos. You are really talented.

16 Mar 2011 6:26 AM
Tonya R

Pick one??  WOW ~ simply FABULOUS ~~ all of them.  I would be hard pressed to pick only one photo here when the subject is so marvelous & the photographer is this talented.  Truly beautiful photographs!  I love the first picture of the snowy whiskers & the elegance of Zenny looking back over her body where the lens has captured only part of her head, one inquisitive eye & her rump. Mathea you have given us some amazing here!!  :)

16 Mar 2011 7:45 AM
Central Valley Dame

Thank you for making me remember how much I miss her presence in the racing world!  Those were stunning photos of her, love all of them, but of course my favourite is the frozen whisker one.  She looks like she is so happy and content!  Certainly enjoying life now!  Thank you again.

16 Mar 2011 8:14 AM
Anne Eberhardt Keogh

Love the comments. Thanks. Zenyatta with the frozen whiskers was taken on a day when temperatures hovered in the teens. Her bath shot was taken during 60 degree weather. Temperatures in Kentucky fluctuate dramatically during January, February and March.

16 Mar 2011 9:41 AM
Jean

Thanks Mathea for the zenzational photos of our Queen.  Love the snowy whiskers and the soapy face, reminds me of a little girl at play.  Walking with her gal pals is precious also, in other words, I like all of them.  She looks so content and happy, still sparkles with that charming personality. Thank you and the team at Lane's End for providing all of us with this this loving insight into Zenyatta's live.  We all love her so.

16 Mar 2011 12:09 PM
Robin from Maryland

Loved, loved, LOVED all the pics!!!  Sure do miss her coming down the stretch - late running style.  Can't wait for next spring.  Thank you so much for ALL the wonderful pictures.  Each one is better than the next.  But Frozen Whiskers tops them all.  Wishing the Queen and all of her pasture buddies safe pregnancies.  Zenyatta you ROCK!!!

16 Mar 2011 3:54 PM
mcoleman

This photographer is amazing. Super pics!! Best of luck to Zenyatta

16 Mar 2011 4:29 PM
Sandy Gomez

I agree, it is hard to pick a favorite; Zenyatta looks awesome in every picture someone takes of her! She is one beautiful, classy girl! Thanks for the photos, we never get tired of seeing her!!

16 Mar 2011 6:17 PM
MD Reynolds

Thanks so very much for the info and the lovely photos! Her fans can never get enough of Zenyatta!

16 Mar 2011 10:20 PM
jonni

LADIES HANGING OUT BOTH SHOTS

16 Mar 2011 10:39 PM
jonni

The Ladies discussing Curlin,Bernie,Quality Road, One of the Ladies ask Zenny,What do you think about Blame? Zenny got quiet and walked ahead. Then she got cheery and they took their Midday Jog.. The Ladies talk all the time their Stalls are Close.    Chow

16 Mar 2011 10:43 PM
jonni

We want to know Zenny's Girlfriends and who they are in Foal to also.

16 Mar 2011 10:44 PM
Linda in Texas

Mathea, wow, wouldn't we all love to have your job. From the appearance of these lovely photos you have captured Zenyatta perfectly.

The first Frosty Whiskers one is a stark reminder that she is in Kentucky and a far cry from the photo of Zenyatta and Mario standing under a shade tree at Barn 55 that the bloggers from Steve Haskin's took when they were in California for one of her races.

Hard to single one photo out of all of them, but i must admit, i see the caring,gentle, sweet and loving eyes of the Zenyatta i miss and will treasure all my life in the last photo.

Thank you Mathea and Lanes End and all who strive each day to make the great ones in your care feel appreciated, comfortable and happy.

Must ask how Life is Sweet and Pirate Queen are doing. Is PQ in foal also, or just Life is Sweet? Thank you so much.

17 Mar 2011 12:32 AM
jonni

We know Z is a leader I heard she does now what she never did in Racing and that Lead. The other girl look up to Her. I know these girls Communicate.

17 Mar 2011 4:17 PM
TerriV

She looks stunning in every one.  Thanks for the picture album.  I can never see enough.

17 Mar 2011 5:13 PM
Mathea Kelley

I really appreciate all of the wonderful comments!  I will try to get some information and photos of Z's gal pals for my next installment!

17 Mar 2011 6:01 PM
Kim S

Mathea, just had to comment and thank you like the rest of Zenny's fans.  Truly wonderful pictures of Zen and the girls.  The frozen whiskers and the look over the shoulder are absolutely stunning.  Keep up the good work.  We can tell you love your job.

17 Mar 2011 9:28 PM
The Beav

I love the 2nd shot of her eye over her back.  They are all great! She is deffinitely a happy girl, it radiates from her.  Great job!

18 Mar 2011 11:43 AM
The Beav

18 Mar 2011 11:44 AM
Val

I like the first one showing her frozen whiskers, and the last photo where her fur looks shiny

18 Mar 2011 4:49 PM
Dee

I love the pic of Zenyatta with her snowy whiskers.  She is definitely our snow angel.  Thank you so much for sharing the pics with us. The frozen whiskers on Lady Z and how beautiful she is really warmed my heart!

19 Mar 2011 1:06 PM
Deborah

Thank you. So many times no one has any idea of what is going on with a retired racehorse that they once followed. Having Z updates is fabulous!

19 Mar 2011 5:57 PM
Ragsy

The first picture reminded me of going through the winter without heat so I think 1-14 are my favorites...

Life without Zenyatta and Rachel has been a downer for me..Thank You for pictures of both..

20 Mar 2011 12:27 PM
uncle mo lover amy!

the bath ones are the best!!!! she still looks so fit what a horse i love you zeny!!!!!

21 Mar 2011 2:49 PM
horseracinglover

They are all wonderful. Her eye has softened a lot. So relaxed looking. It's a "Mom's eye". That is a good thing. I hope LE Team Z East will let us know when we can come visit. Thank you for the pictures. Long Live the Queen. We miss you Zenyatta.

22 Mar 2011 8:16 AM
Slew

Beautiful photos...but the frosted chin whiskers captured me.  Good fortune Mama Zen...you've already given us a lifetime of memories.

22 Mar 2011 8:56 AM
Lise from Maine

Bonjour Zenyatta,

Wow!  You look absolutely wonderful.

So happy to receive some updates regarding you, Zenyatta.

The breeding mechanisms worried me a bit but it looks like you survived that.

I am eager to see your "little one."

Lots of love to you.

22 Mar 2011 2:24 PM
Joan Robinson

The frozen chin whiskers is the best because it reminds us where she is right now and you caught the perfect expression on her face in this one.  In fact her personality has come through in so many of these pictures: her opinion is written all over her poses and facial expressions;  and I swear she has a sense of humor.  Keep up the great work with your pictures.  Your  photography is the only way some of us can visit Zenyatta,

23 Mar 2011 12:27 AM
Ellen from Michigan

I like the one of her looking over her back also, but the frozen whiskers one is fascinating too.

23 Mar 2011 12:43 PM
Lois Duling

the last picture is spectacular.  I, too, am a late comer and was absolutely captivated.   will be following her journey becoming a mother----

praying that all goes well for both.

mrs duling